George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday)

+5
it's me
Way2Old4Dis
ladybugcngc
annemarie
party animal - not!
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) Empty George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday)

Post by party animal - not! Sun 04 Nov 2018, 11:37

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) Empty Re: George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday)

Post by annemarie Sun 04 Nov 2018, 14:13

[size=34]Surprise! Hollywood's finest including Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Julia Roberts come out against 'toxic Trump'[/size]

• Hollywood stars came out to oppose Donald Trump in the mid-term elections

• Leonardo DiCaprio and Oprah Winfrey are among those opposing the President 

• Tuesday's election will see all 435 House of Representatives seats up for grabs

By CAROLINE GRAHAM FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
PUBLISHED: 21:48 EST, 3 November 2018 | UPDATED: 21:52 EST, 3 November 2018

Hollywood stars have come out in force to oppose Donald Trump in Tuesday’s vital US mid-term elections.
Celebrities including Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, Julia Roberts Brad Pittand Oprah Winfrey are appealing to fans to vote against the Republican President in what is seen as the most crucial test of Mr Trump’s presidency to date.
The election will see all 435 seats in the US House of Representatives up for grabs, along with 35 of the 100 seats in the Senate.
It is widely expected that Mr Trump will lose control of the House because of his unpopular stance on controversial issues such as immigration, but Republicans are set to retain their majority vote in the Senate.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

+5

+5

Plea: George Clooney and Julia Roberts will urge people to vote against Donald Trump
With some polls predicting a ‘devastating’ night for Mr Trump, the mid-terms could dictate the future of his presidency and his ability to push his political agenda through Congress.

And the opposition of traditionally liberal Hollywood stars could affect the outcome of the poll. On Friday, Titanic actor DiCaprio called the mid-terms ‘the most important vote in history’ and urged young voters and women to ‘come out in force’ to oppose the President. 
Tomorrow night, George Clooney, Charlize Theron and Julia Roberts are expected to take part in a two-hour live ‘Telethon Across America’ on YouTube to encourage people, especially first-time voters, to cast their ballot against Mr Trump.

+5

Tomorrow night, George Clooney, Charlize Theron (pictured) and Julia Roberts are expected to take part in a two-hour live ‘Telethon Across America’ on YouTube to encourage people, especially first-time voters, to cast their ballot against Mr Trump

RELATED ARTICLES

• Previous

• Next

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Trump calls Andrew Gillum 'not equipped' to be governor and...Trump accuses Indiana Senator Joe Donnelly of 'trying to...

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

+5

TV talk show billionaire Oprah Winfrey and activist actress Jane Fonda have been going door- to-door in towns across America urging people to vote against Mr Trump, described by Watergate reporter Carl Bernstein as ‘the toxicity in our system’
TV talk show billionaire Oprah Winfrey and activist actress Jane Fonda have been going door- to-door in towns across America urging people to vote against Mr Trump, described by Watergate reporter Carl Bernstein as ‘the toxicity in our system’.
Fonda, 80, famous for her anti-Vietnam War activism in the 1970s, said she hoped young people would recognise what was at stake. She said: ‘More than any other that I can remember, this election is going to determine whether we can continue to call ourselves a democracy, whether we’re going to be able to live in a country of people that are different from each other and truly get along.’ The mid-terms – so-called because they fall halfway through a President’s four-year stint in office – are widely viewed as a referendum on Mr Trump’s policies, including his staunch anti-immigration stance.
On Friday, he told supporters that he was sending 15,000 US troops to the US-Mexican border to meet a caravan of migrants from Central America, which he compared to ‘an invasion’ and claimed ‘is full of violent criminals and gang members’.

+5

Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt appeared together in an appeal to voters
Mr Trump has came under fire for his inflammatory rhetoric. He claimed last weekend’s Pittsburgh synagogue massacre – in which 11 worshippers were killed by a gunman – and the man accused of sending bombs through the mail to prominent political rivals had ‘managed to slow down the momentum’ of his party ahead of Tuesday’s vote.
Winfrey called the President’s remarks ‘despicable’.
Celebrity backing has already been shown to have a significant effect on the campaign.
When pop star Taylor Swift endorsed Democratic candidate Phil Bredesen in her home state of Tennessee, polls showed nearly one million people cast an early ballot – almost tripling the number of voters who cast ballots ahead of the 2014 mid-term elections.
Mr Trump may yet enjoy a boost in the polls from record employment figures that were released on Friday, but he has also come under fire for imposing new sanctions against Iran.
ADVERTISEMENT

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday) Empty Re: George to appear in Get the Vote Out telethon tomorrow (Monday)

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 15:39

affraid  sheep being led to the slaughter.  It's not just this telethon, it's the entire get out to vote push, with absolutely NO accountability attached.  We have a Congress both Republican and Democrat that has yielded to the will of Corporate business and have systematically impose oppression liken only to what I've read in books.  

To Hollywood elites, I challenge you to come up with a platform that hold our elected officials accountable to do what's best for the 99%, those who don't live in a lifestyle of luxury.  

Don't tell me to get out and vote.  Get out and vote for what?  Go back to your mansions, vacation homes, yachts,... and come up with a platform that holds our elected officials both republican and democrat accountable to do what's best for the 98% that are living paycheck to paycheck.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 04 Nov 2018, 16:34

The foundation and focus of a participatory republic, a democracy, is collective action spurred by concerted individual effort. There is no job requirement or discrimination. Everybody gets to do it. Nobody loses their voice once they reach a certain income level, and the rest of us are called upon to fight for the people who may not get to participate because of nefarious interests working against them. Actors and other wealthy people are no more and no less qualified or obligated to fix any problems. The point is that we all get to try.

I have voted for every office from Fish & Game Commissioner to President of the United States, when I have been flat broke to fairly well off, and my right to participate and my willingness to do so have remained the same. That goes for everybody. In these dangerous times in this country, why anyone would disparage informed, compassionate, generous people for doing their part is beyond my comprehension.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 04 Nov 2018, 17:37

Why do celebrities have to come up with ways for accountability? Ladybug, have you come up with any your a citizen and I assume you vote.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 17:50

Way2, it's not enough to cast a ballot.  In real life application,the question is: how does that ballot impact me?  

I had someone representing a union come to my house, with the urgency to stop Trump this and stop Trump that.  Article after article is posted here about Trump this and Trump that.  Corporate Business has funded the campaigns of our elected officials and our elected officials have yielded to their will time, after time, after time.  This is way bigger than Trump.

It was President Obama that signed the ACA, and it is diabolical at it's core.  It was a Republican led administration that ALLOWED predatory practices in the real estate industry. President Bush than asked for an 800 billion dollar BANK bail out and a Democratic led congress approve that bill, that was signed by President Bush.  While millions of people lost their home due to predatory practices.

We have to get to a point ,where we the people understand how does casting a ballot impacts us.  What have incumbents done to lend to me a better quality of life?  What are the agendas of new comers and will their stand impact a better life for those around me.

What good does a democracy do, if ultimately those in power yield to imposing oppressive practices that impact 98% of the population?

Bottom line its MORE than casting a ballot.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 17:56

annemarie wrote:Why do celebrities have to come up with ways for accountability? Ladybug, have you come up with any your a citizen and I assume you vote.
Yes Annemarie, I have written many elected officials in an effort to hold them accountable.

Currently, I have a case in review that address diabolical practices imposed by medical professionals under the ACA.

And I pray daily.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 04 Nov 2018, 18:17

It's good to know your trying thank you.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 19:07

By the way, millions of people like myself wrote Senator Feinstein to vote NO on the bank bailout.  And she proudly voted yes.  How she is still in office I have NO IDEA.

She is up for re-election, and not even the Democratic party endorsed her.  I can't wait to see if Californian's are dumb enough to re-elect her.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 04 Nov 2018, 19:09

Are you saying, Ladybug, that you're not going to vote?

If so, that's such a shame.

There are so many in this world who do not have that choice, who do not live in a democracy and who are ruled by tyrants who prevent them from doing so in all sorts of terrible way, that I feel that it's an absolute privilege.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 04 Nov 2018, 20:02

There are those here in America who want to vote and can't , some live too far a way from the polls. Then we have those in charge who are  changing the rules and making it harder for people to vote.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 20:42

PAN,

I'm tired of the "get out to vote" campaign without a platform to hold those who are running accountable to the 98% who suffer oppression at the hands of corporate business.  The same corporate businesses that actually fund the campaigns of those vying to be elected.  

In this case, it is Hollywood elite telling people to get out to vote.  They have absolutely no platform to hold those accountable who are vying to be elected.  Hollywood elite don't in any way, shape, form, or fashion suffer the oppression imposed on the 98 percent they are telling to get out to vote.  And Hollywood elite have presented no platform, to those vying to be elected that holds them accountable.

Trump is NOT the problem.  Corporate Business imposing oppressive practices is the problem.  Telling people to get out to vote, without addressing the REAL problems and holding those elected accountable to address those problems is NOTHING but VAIN words.  What's disturbing about this telethon it's coming from people who "at this point" are not affected by the outcome of the elect. 

Bottom Line:  we have to start summarizing the REAL problems economically and present solutions that lend a reasonable non-oppressive way of life to the 98% who live in this country.  Understanding there are problems across the globe, we can not help others globally if we can help ourselves.

To be fair I've seen candidates who say they are not backed by corporate funds; that gives me a little bit hope.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 04 Nov 2018, 21:06

Call me naive if you like, Ladybug, but Trump IS corporate business.....with added bits like tax evasion, lying, employing cheap immigrant labour for his own businesses while banning immigrants from the country, not releasing his tax returns..............and that's without the US health services via insurance profiteers instead of contributory taxes for the whole country's health needs which exists in many other countries...............at least Obama tried to improve it

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 04 Nov 2018, 21:08

Seems like you're missing a step. You do realize that it's the cumulative tally of votes cast that determines who it is that sets the agenda, the person you write about whatever issues, our representatives, right? That person takes their platform - based on the needs/desires of constituents - and puts it forth with all the others, and a functioning Congress then compromises and legislates for the common good. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work. But if you sit on the sidelines and cry about candidates not carrying your particular issue, or complain about the people who support or refute them because you don't think they understand you and your issues or don't live the same life you do, then you're missing the point of a representative democracy. If you don't exercise your right (which I frankly think is an obligation) to vote, then you're part of the problem, and you don't get to bitch about anything. Blaming your non-participation on corporations or dark money or anything else is a cop-out. It's on you.

Yes, there are unscrupulous politicians. Always have been. And we're in the midst of a criminal shakedown by a cabal of them because millions of people didn't vote for something better.

BTW, my problem with the ACA is that it didn't go far enough towards eliminating control of healthcare coverage by private insurers. But it was a step in the right direction, and I applaud it. It is in no way "diabolical." It made health coverage possible for millions of people who previously couldn't afford it, and mandated certain coverage that insurance companies didn't do because they cut into profits. There is absolutely nothing in the ACA that dictates individual medical treatment by a particular physician or institution of a particular patient. I doubt your issue is actually with the ACA, but with how someone used or manipulated its provisions.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 21:21

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Seems like you're missing a step. You do realize that it's the cumulative tally of votes cast that determines who it is that sets the agenda, the person you write about whatever issues, our representatives, right? That person takes their platform - based on the needs/desires of constituents - and puts it forth with all the others, and a functioning Congress then compromises and legislates for the common good. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work. But if you sit on the sidelines and cry about candidates not carrying your particular issue, or complain about the people who support or refute them because you don't think they understand you and your issues or don't live the same life you do, then you're missing the point of a representative democracy. If you don't exercise your right (which I frankly think is an obligation) to vote, then you're part of the problem, and you don't get to bitch about anything. Blaming your non-participation on corporations or dark money or anything else is a cop-out. It's on you.

Yes, there are unscrupulous politicians. Always have been. And we're in the midst of a criminal shakedown by a cabal of them because millions of people didn't vote for something better.

BTW, my problem with the ACA is that it didn't go far enough towards eliminating control of healthcare coverage by private insurers. But it was a step in the right direction, and I applaud it. It is in no way "diabolical." It made health coverage possible for millions of people who previously couldn't afford it, and mandated certain coverage that insurance companies didn't do because they cut into profits. There is absolutely nothing in the ACA that dictates individual medical treatment by a particular physician or institution of a particular patient. I doubt your issue is actually with the ACA, but with how someone used or manipulated its provisions.
Interesting...
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 04 Nov 2018, 22:04

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 22:30

Way2 I have this to share:

Seems like you're missing a step. You do realize that it's the cumulative tally of votes cast that determines who it is that sets the agenda, the person you write about whatever issues, our representatives, right? 

I'm talking about a telethon, about getting out to vote.  

That person takes their platform - based on the needs/desires of constituents - and puts it forth with all the others, and a functioning Congress then compromises and legislates for the common good. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work. 

I'm talking about Hollywood elite holding a telethon, telling people to get out to vote, without holding "those vying to be elected" accountable.  Ex.holding elected officials accountable to do something about the homeless problem, outrageous cost of living, enormous disparity of quality health care...

But if you sit on the sidelines and cry about candidates not carrying your particular issue, or complain about the people who support or refute them because you don't think they understand you and your issues or don't live the same life you do, then you're missing the point of a representative democracy. If you don't exercise your right (which I frankly think is an obligation) to vote, then you're part of the problem, and you don't get to bitch about anything. Blaming your non-participation on corporations or dark money or anything else is a cop-out. It's on you.

The hysteria going into this midterm is: President Trump is the problem, and "we have to get out the vote to stop Trump".  I'm saying the TRUTH is Trump is NOT the problem, Corporate Business is the problem.  I made the statement "Get out to vote for what?"  Meaning the narrative has to be: get out to vote for people who will be accountable to 98% of our nation, living in a forced oppressive economic conditions.

Way2, you seem to not understand the people we are voting for, both Republican and Democrat make legislation that yield to the benefit of those who fund their campaigns.  They are not legislating for the good of the people.

I'm not going to debate the ACA.  I've lived through it's diabolical roots;  from the astronomical cost to the unthinkable medical practice, medical professionals are imposing on the most innocent among us.  All I can say is I hope you never have to.

Way2 we clearly have 2 completely different views.  Maybe we can agree to disagree.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 04 Nov 2018, 22:54

Interesting...

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:00

Ladybug - You are living in a country that functions best when its citizens participate at all levels of government. The easiest way is to inform yourself about the issues and candidates and then go out and vote. The people in office are put there by the voters. If they don't represent our interests it is because we have chosen the wrong people - or haven't voted at all.

If you can't find anyone in the established parties who represents your interests look for alternatives - like the Green Party, the Libertarians, Bernie Sanders' Progressives - whatever suits you - or start your own. You said there were some candidates that gave you hope. Go vote for them.

If even they can't meet your requirements, maybe you should do what hundreds of people are doing this election - become a candidate and run for office yourself. Just don't sit home on election day. If you forfeit your vote, you forfeit your voice.

The people telling you to vote - from movie stars to the posters here on COH - are just reminding you that we all have a civic responsibility to choose the person/people we think most closely represent our interests and vote for them. You change nothing by sitting home complaining.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:09

^^^ Amen.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:19

LizzyNY wrote:Ladybug - You are living in a country that functions best when its citizens participate at all levels of government. The easiest way is to inform yourself about the issues and candidates and then go out and vote. The people in office are put there by the voters. If they don't represent our interests it is because we have chosen the wrong people - or haven't voted at all.

If you can't find anyone in the established parties who represents your interests look for alternatives - like the Green Party, the Libertarians, Bernie Sanders' Progressives - whatever suits you - or start your own. You said there were some candidates that gave you hope. Go vote for them.

If even they can't meet your requirements, maybe you should do what hundreds of people are doing this election - become a candidate and run for office yourself. Just don't sit home on election day. If you forfeit your vote, you forfeit your voice.

The people telling you to vote - from movie stars to the posters here on COH - are just reminding you that we all have a civic responsibility to choose the person/people we think most closely represent our interests and vote for them. You change nothing by sitting home complaining.
I could accept your explanation if the narrative was "it's your civic duty to vote".  However, that's not the narrative.  The narrative I've been pounded with from every mainstream outlet is "Trump is the problem and Trump has to be stop". 

The TRUTH is Trump is NOT the problem, and the people feeding that ideal ARE THE PROBLEM.

You don't change anything by sitting at home complaining.  You can get JUSTICE by standing, speaking, and electing legislators that will be FAIR, JUST, and EQUITABLE to all.

Last edited by ladybugcngc on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:44; edited 2 times in total
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:29

.........just as a matter of feasibility, how would you make those concerned accountable? And what form would that take?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:43

party animal - not! wrote:.........just as a matter of feasibility, how would you make those concerned accountable? And what form would that take?
Examining the legislation, viewing the voting record of legislators, informing the public when disparaging legislation is passed, and voting out those who impose oppressive legislation.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 05 Nov 2018, 00:18

So who would do this? Presumably it would need to be someone with knowledge of the system, accounts and law, and someone who would be able to inform the public.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 05 Nov 2018, 00:34

party animal - not! wrote:So who would do this? Presumably it would need to be someone with knowledge of the system, accounts and law, and someone who would be able to inform the public.........
Yes, I know there are people who would do exactly that.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 05 Nov 2018, 00:58

So you'd give a countrywide job as huge as this to a person or a company? And what would be the budget? And who would pay them?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 05 Nov 2018, 01:20

party animal - not! wrote:So you'd give a countrywide job as huge as this to a person or a company? And what would be the budget? And who would pay them?
PAN, your interest in this area is amazing to me.  I thought about this very issue to the nth degree many, many, many years ago.  I'm not going to share the logistics in a public forum, however true story I do have plan.  

To be honest, I know there are people like myself who care about the disparaging things that are happening.  And will lend there talents to achieve what is fair, just, and equitable to all.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 05 Nov 2018, 01:39

ladybug wrote:
I could accept your explanation if the narrative was "it's your civic duty to vote".  However, that's not the narrative.  The narrative I've been pounded with from every mainstream outlet is "Trump is the problem and Trump has to be stop". 

The TRUTH is Trump is NOT the problem, and the people feeding that ideal ARE THE PROBLEM.

You don't change anything by sitting at home complaining.  You can get JUSTICE by standing, speaking, and electing legislators that will be FAIR, JUST, and EQUITABLE to all.
In this election (and the next) the narrative that "Trump is the problem" is being pushed because Trump IS the problem. He is bypassing and undermining the Constitution, using the office of President to line his pockets and fearmongering to the point that citizens of this country no longer trust each other.

If, as you say, you get justice by electing legislators that are fair to all, you have to get out and VOTE!! That's how they get into office. We put them there by voting them in. No secret plans, no magic spells - WE VOTE.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 05 Nov 2018, 01:58

Loved your last sentence, Ladybug. You definitely have the skills of a politician, but I think it would be such a vast task you would need a huge budget.........and then no doubt your benefactor would almost certainly be questioned about his/her allegiancy and corporate interests...........as would you

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 05 Nov 2018, 02:33

As a looker from afar, and I think I am speaking on behalf of many of my countrymen/women  .... WE ARE HOOKED....
Shocked
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 05 Nov 2018, 02:38

LizzyNY wrote:In this election (and the next) the narrative that "Trump is the problem" is being pushed because Trump IS the problem. He is bypassing and undermining the Constitution, using the office of President to line his pockets and fearmongering to the point that citizens of this country no longer trust each other.

If, as you say, you get justice by electing legislators that are fair to all, you have to get out and VOTE!! That's how they get into office. We put them there by voting them in. No secret plans, no magic spells - WE VOTE.
Lizzy, I extend my hand to agree to disagree on what the problem is.

A person can only make judgments on what they know to be truth and what they understand to be truth.

Heaven help us all.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 05 Nov 2018, 02:46

party animal - not! wrote:Loved your last sentence, Ladybug. You definitely have the skills of a politician, but I think it would be such a vast task you would need a huge budget.........and then no doubt your benefactor would almost certainly be questioned about his/her allegiancy and corporate interests...........as would you
Do you think I have aspirations to be a politician?  I don't.  

Over the years I've thought George Clooney would make a great President, I understand clearly that's not his aspiration.

I do know there are people who know about underbelly that's driving our country and have the knowledge, know-how, and compassion to stand against it.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 05 Nov 2018, 16:44

So, let me get this straight... You are upset that Hollywood elites are urging everyone to GOTV, but you recognize that the way to fix the problems starts with  voting in people who have done the legwork and voting out the ones who haven't or who choose to be controlled by corporate interests. In other words, the voting part is key to addressing the issues. Which you resent being urged to do.

Do I have that right?

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 05 Nov 2018, 19:41

Way2,

I'm tired of the NARRATIVE: "Trump is Bad" we need to get out to vote.

I have a problem with Hollywood elite driving that NARRATIVE.

This is a midterm election.  My Position:  President Trump is NOT the problem.  Elected Officials both Republican and Democrat YIELDING to Corporate Interest IS the PROBLEM.

Instead of driving the narrative Trump is a bad man.  My CHALLENGE to Hollywood Elite is to use their platform (i.e. telethon) to bring to surface major concerns that envelope 98% of the country: Cost of Living, the massive amount of homeless people, disparity of "quality" health care...  And BUILD a NARRATIVE that holds both REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS ACCOUNTABLE to the PEOPLE they represent.

The TRUTH is our Legislative body is putting Corporate interest above the people they represent.  At the Legislative level we NEED legislators who put the INTEREST OF THE PEOPLE they represent ABOVE the Corporate interest that FUND their campaigns.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 05 Nov 2018, 20:20

Yes, Ladybug. And the way we get those people into office and the others out is to VOTE! There are candidates and parties that feel just the way you do. Find the people who address your issues. If they're not on the ballot, work to get them there and then VOTE for them!

The fact that there are systemic problems that need to be addressed doesn't negate the fact that Trump is unfit to be President or that the need to remove him (or at least restrain him) is urgent. The longer he is in office the more damage he does to this country and the world.

By the way, does anyone know when the telethon will be "aired"?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 05 Nov 2018, 20:41

Lizzy, 

Casting a vote based on the narrative Trump is a bad man, will not achieve the goal I speaking of.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 05 Nov 2018, 20:52

IMO it's everybody's decision whether to vote or not (at least when you don't live in a country where you have to vote). But if you decide to keep away from voting not because circumstances you can't influence but because of the reasons ladybug named, then don't critisize the decisions the elected politicians make. You could have voted for someone else. Of course one single vote doesn't weight a lot, but if thousands of people think so and the opponents mobilize their fans to vote, your voice stays silent. We've seen it in Britain when the majority voted to leave the EU because many young people whose life will be influenced by the Brexit most, didn't vote because they thought everybody else would vote to remain. Or strange decisions in Switzerland where the community members or the Swiss people in general are supposed to vote for or against lots of issues regularly and those who want to change things are often able to mobilize their supporters while many others think 'This is so strange, I like the status quo. I'm not even thinking about it, let the others spend their Sunday afternoon voting.' And when they don't like the result, they often say: 'Why didn't the others vote?' At least that's what our friends in Britain and Switzerland keep telling me. I'm so tired of people critisizing politicians and politics but didn't do anything to keep them away from power.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 05 Nov 2018, 21:02

Trump is awful , bad and a big problem for this country. People are voting to try and stop his nonsense.

As for not needing to be told   to vote, my husband has a friend he said he didn't vote because he was sure Hillary would win.

Nothing is for sure so a reminder to vote is very important.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 05 Nov 2018, 21:15

Adding:
Being able and allowed to vote, no matter which gender or color you have. Free, without compulsion. Having the choice to vote or not. Having the choice between different candidates and different parties. Knowing that nobody knows your vote (unless you're telling everyone for whom you voted). Every vote has the same weight. 
These are achievements our ancestors fought for. Many countries in the world still don't have. In one part of my country - the former GDR - everybody was forced to vote. If you hadn't voted until lunchtime, you got visitors by the police telling you to vote. And if you dared to resist, you had problems at work and had no chance for a career - and your kids didn't get the allowance to go to university. At the polling station, there was a polling booth, but you were expected to vote publicly. If you went to the polling booth, that meant that you didn't agree with the government's politics and your name was registred which also meant repressions for you and your family. You didn't mark certain candidates or parties with a cross. There was one list with candidates and parties which all had the same politics, so you simply folded the ballot and put it into the box. In the end the turnout was 99,9 % - and 100 % for the Socialistic Party.

I didn't grew up in that part of Germany. But I know enough about it to value our voting system...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 05 Nov 2018, 21:40

annemarie wrote:Trump is awful , bad and a big problem for this country. People are voting to try and stop his nonsense.

As for not needing to be told   to vote, my husband has a friend he said he didn't vote because he was sure Hillary would win.

Nothing is for sure so a reminder to vote is very important.
Trump is not as bad as the Corporate interest that's actually running the press, economy, and legislature.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 05 Nov 2018, 22:32

Good evening.

Just one point (again).

Trump IS Corporate America and the worst possible kind.

He is the one who pushed through the laws which gave the top 1% of earners i e the heads of corporate Americas 83% of the new tax benefits, which meant that the remaining 17% of the money has to be shared with the remaining 99% of the population

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 06 Nov 2018, 00:06

party animal - not! wrote:Good evening.

Just one point (again).

Trump IS Corporate America and the worst possible kind.

He is the one who pushed through the laws which gave the top 1% of earners i e the heads of corporate Americas 83% of the new tax benefits, which meant that the remaining 17% of the money has to be shared with the remaining 99% of the population
Hi PAN,

I'm sorry, I missed responding to your earlier post.  To my knowledge that legislation is being challenged in the court, our Government work with those types of checks and balances.  In eight years, I don't remember Obama doing anything about decreasing taxes for the middle class.  And the Affordable Care Act caused insurance premiums to double and triple for middle income wage earners.  

Trump is not now, nor before elected a part of the 1% running the globe.  I do believe the 1% funded his campaign and like the previous 2 Presidents will push the Corporate agenda.  That's makes Trump no worse than others who yield to Corporate Interest.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Tue 06 Nov 2018, 00:14

Can someone give me a clue here.... in my country there comes a time at which we know the exact swing.... what is the expected time of this?...

Also, how do you think The Don will cope if he is well and truly whipped... I think he would bow out before New Year .... with a “genuine” excuse “terminal bunions”  excuses excuses...

I just can’t see him gracious in defeat...
I don’t think he has a carry on regardless attitude ...
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 06 Nov 2018, 01:12

Ladybug I beg to differ..........

Obama gave tax cuts to the middle classes in 2009, 2012, 2016 and over the time of his Presidency he signed no less than eight taxcuts for small businesses.

The reason the United States has a slightly strong economy now is because of the work Obama put in to get these results.

And by the way, the US is in seriously huge debt to China, and they could at anytime of their choosing simply pull the plug...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 06 Nov 2018, 01:20

..........and WWHS, given the time differences and assuming you're this side of the pond, it could be an extremely late night/morning here! If you want a quick check go to Nate Cohn's twitter page

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] just click

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 06 Nov 2018, 01:55

ladybugcngc wrote:Lizzy, 

Casting a vote based on the narrative Trump is a bad man, will not achieve the goal I speaking of.
And repeating a mantra of "Trump isn't the problem" doesn't solve anything either. Whether you believe that Trump is a racist, misogynistic, lying moron or the best thing since sliced bread has noting to do with the issue you're harping on. If the system is broken find good people and elect them to office (on all levels of government) to fix things. Get off your couch and vote for the candidates you think will make a difference.

And if you think Trump isn't part of the 1% you're delusional.

On another note: Has anyone found the telethon? I checked YouTube but couldn't find it.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 06 Nov 2018, 02:09

WWHS - Hate to say it but I don't think Trump is going to have his butt whipped. The Democrats will probably take back the House, but the Senate will probably keep its Republican majority. A lot of the races are too close to call. I think the best we can hope for is to slow down his agenda.

The polls in NY close at 9 PM, but it varies from state to state. Then there are absentee ballots to be counted and any irregularities at the polls to be checked out. The media will start projecting winners early, based on really small samples of votes and computer projections. They might even get some of them right. I'd rather wait until Wednesday morning to get the updated results.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 06 Nov 2018, 02:19

No I haven't found it either Lizzy, but the auction for the bike seems to be growing and including other stuff. Could be that was the story all along.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 06 Nov 2018, 02:26

It's here

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 06 Nov 2018, 02:48

party animal - not! wrote:Ladybug I beg to differ..........

Obama gave tax cuts to the middle classes in 2009, 2012, 2016 and over the time of his Presidency he signed no less than eight taxcuts for small businesses.

The reason the United States has a slightly strong economy now is because of the work Obama put in to get these results.

And by the way, the US is in seriously huge debt to China, and they could at anytime of their choosing simply pull the plug...........

Talk to the middle class and asked them:  What was a greater impact on their life, Obama's tax cuts or the increase in Health care premiums.  

You can only believe what read about the strength of the economy.

I'm very aware of China's stronghold on our economy.  I've been talking about the China, Saudi Arabia, and U. S. Corporate link since the Bush Administration.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next