George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George will receive the AFI Life achievement award EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George will receive the AFI Life achievement award

+12
annemarie
ladybugcngc
it's me
What Would He Say
carolhathaway
LizzyNY
Donnamarie
party animal - not!
hairyhound
Way2Old4Dis
Joanna
PigPen
16 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

George will receive the AFI Life achievement award Empty George will receive the AFI Life achievement award

Post by carolhathaway Thu 05 Oct 2017, 20:48

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George Clooney to Get AFI Life Achievement Award
Stefania D'Alessandro/WireImage

12:38 PM PDT 10/5/2017 by Ashley Lee 

The actor becomes the 46th recipient of the honor.

George Clooney will be the 46th recipient of the AFI Life Achievement Award, the American Film Institute board of trustees announced Thursday.
The award will be presented at a gala tribute on June 7 in Los Angeles and will be subsequently broadcast by Turner Broadcasting on TNT, followed by encore presentations on sister network Turner Classic Movies.
Recent honorees include Diane Keaton, John Williams, Steve Martin, Jane Fonda, Mel Brooks, Shirley MacLaine, Morgan Freeman and Mike Nichols.

More to come.

LATEST AWARDS NEWS

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Meryl Streep to Present Amy Adams With the American Cinematheque Award

• Oscars: 92 Films Submitted in Foreign-Language Category

• Kazuo Ishiguro, Author of 'The Remains of the Day,' Wins Nobel Prize for Literature

• Casting Society to Honor Barry Levinson, Kevin Huvane at Artios Awards

• ALL AWARDS NEWS

MOVIESTVBUSINESSSTYLEPOLITICS
© 2017 The Hollywood Reporter. All Rights Reserved.
TERMS | PRIVACY | SITEMAP | ABOUT OUR ADS
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

George will receive the AFI Life achievement award Empty Re: George will receive the AFI Life achievement award

Post by carolhathaway Thu 05 Oct 2017, 20:50

Sorry for this bizarre pic of George, I copied the whole article on my tablet and that's what appeared...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

George will receive the AFI Life achievement award Empty Re: George will receive the AFI Life achievement award

Post by carolhathaway Thu 05 Oct 2017, 20:55

I just realized that he'll receive the award on June 7th next year which will appearently mean that Ella and Alexander will celebrate their first birthday either in L.A. or without their daddy the day before...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 04:36

A really nice and well deserved honor for George.  I'm betting that the family will be in LA for this event ... and the little ones' birthdays.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Fri 06 Oct 2017, 14:28

George Clooney to Receive AFI Life Achievement Award
George Clooney will be the 46th recipient of the AFI Life Achievement Award.

The award, announced on Thursday, will be presented to Clooney on June 7 in Los Angeles. The ceremony will be broadcast subsequently by Turner Broadcasting on TNT, followed by encore presentations on Turner Classic Movies.

“George Clooney is America’s leading man,” said Howard Stringer, chairman of the American Film Institute Board of Trustees. “Director, producer, writer, and actor — a modern-day screen icon who combines the glamour of a time gone by with a ferocious passion for ensuring art’s impact echoes beyond the screen. AFI is proud to present him with its 46th Life Achievement Award.”

Clooney has won a best actor Academy Award for his role in “Syriana” and a best picture Oscar as a producer on “Argo.” He’s also received best actor Oscar nominations for “Michael Clayton,” “Up in the Air,” and “The Descendants”; directing and screenplay nods for “Good Night, and Good Luck”; and a screenplay nom for “The Ides of March.”
Clooney received the American Cinematheque Award in 2006. In 2010, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences honored him with the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award in recognition of his philanthropic efforts.

Recent recipients of the AFI Life Achievement Award include Mel Brooks, Jane Fonda, Steve Martin, John Williams, and Diane Keaton.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 06 Oct 2017, 16:51

They're going t to have  add another wing to the house in Sonning!!

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 26 May 2018, 16:06

So the week after next.......June 7 2018...........Back in LA

Oceans 8 premiere NYC same day!

I can see the fun and games to be had that evening with that across the airways - Blanchett & Bullock etc etc....................

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 26 May 2018, 16:45

Nice photo of our man on that link.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sat 26 May 2018, 18:54

It's nice to know George Clooney will soon be in the Los Angeles are for a couple of days.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 30 May 2018, 22:25

Julia Roberts will present the AFI award to George:

Julia Roberts to Present AFI Award to George Clooney

By The Associated Press

May 30, 2018

LOS ANGELES — Julia Roberts is stepping out to present her longtime friend and frequent co-star George Clooney with one of the highest honors in film.

The American Film Institute says Wednesday that Roberts will be on hand to give Clooney the 46th AFI Life Achievement Award at a gala to be held at the Dolby Theatre on June 7.

Roberts has co-starred with Clooney in a number of films including "Ocean's Eleven," ''Ocean's Twelve" and "Money Monster." She also starred in his directorial debut "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind."

The AFI tribute to Clooney will be broadcast on TNT on June 21 at 10:00 p.m. Eastern and Pacific.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 30 May 2018, 23:16

June 7 ?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 30 May 2018, 23:28

He will have a couple of busy but I'm sure very happy days as the twins will turn one on June 6.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 31 May 2018, 21:51

Not being screened until the 21st.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Thu 31 May 2018, 23:24

So, it'll be very much like The American Cinematheque Award. 

Didn't they say that we could have seen it in live streaming?

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 01 Jun 2018, 00:47

Variety says TNT will air the show June 2lst and TCM will air it sometime in September during a night of programming of George's work. I wonder which of his movies they'll choose.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 02 Jun 2018, 15:59

As long as they skip Men Who Stare at Goats and Leatherheads, I'm good. I can clean the bathrooms during Hail, Caesar!

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 02 Jun 2018, 16:47

LOL! I need to watch Men Who Stare at Goats again to remind myself why it didn't work. I remember thinking some of it was very funny. Leatherheads just missed the mark, IMO. It's the same problem that crops up in a lot of his work. All the parts are great, but the whole doesn't quite work  - Monuments Men being a perfect example.

I hope they show The American or Solaris, some of his work that doesn't get aired too often. Michael Clayton would be a good one, too.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sat 02 Jun 2018, 18:23

Way2 and Lizzy,

I was given the task to learn about George Clooney introspectively.  After months of gaining that understanding "Leatherheads" debuted.

If you view "Leatherheads" as "George Clooney" approaching mid life, "Leatherheads" makes perfect sense.  He has a career that he loves and close friends that share the same interest.  He's getting older and has to find ways to transition in his career without leaving it completely.  A lady love catches his eye and he takes a very passive-aggressive interest.  Nobody, knows about his rival or  the controversy that envelopes his lady love.  He does resolve the controversy and wins her heart; however "in the movie" that part of his life is never shared, it's kept private.

There are several things that I absolutely love about "Leatherheads" as it relates to understanding George Clooney introspectively.

*  The private life of the people around him is private; in "Leatherheads" you know nothing about private life of his collegues.  That lends to the introspective understanding George Clooney lives a very private personal life and respects the private life of his close friends. 

*  He's aging as a football player, loves the game, and finds ways to transition without leaving the game.  That parallels his tangible professional life.

*  After years of being single, a lady love catches his eye.  Nobody in his inner circle know about his lady love or the "rival" over her.  In the movie his Lady love is kept strictly private.

*  My favorite introspective parallel is his typecast of a football player.  Not a black football player or a white football player;  a football player.  As evident, nobody in the movie ever comment on the fact one of the football players is African American.

Now before the two of you pounce on me about the technical aspects of the movie making process, casting, writing, directing,...  Sometimes life extends to us a diamond in the rough that turns out to be valuable far beyond the rough edges.

"Men Who Stare at Goats"  is based on a true story.  Understanding you are watching something that actually happened to some degree in military training, is really unthinkable.

I did not see "Monuments Men" however, I think it represents the dichotomy of balancing a storyline and adhering to the demands of studio executives.  "Hail Cesar" is that dichotomy in all it's parts.  After viewing "Hail Cesar" I understood the challenges that envelopes the movie making process.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Sat 02 Jun 2018, 21:08

The analysis of "Leatherheads" is pretty interesting, Ladybug. I love that movie, too. It always make me laugh.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 05 Jun 2018, 04:00

Leatherheads came out ten years ago. George was, what 46-47 then, and he was still living the serial-monogamist-to-the-thin&pretty life. Hardly a man worried about middle age. And this movie came smack dab in the middle of a seriously good run of movies; he was not transitioning then.

If you want to look for 'George' in his movie characters, try Up In the Air or One Fine Day. Or maybe even Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 05 Jun 2018, 04:09

Smile
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 05 Jun 2018, 13:07

Way2Old4Dis wrote:If you want to look for 'George' in his movie characters, try Up In the Air or One Fine Day. Or maybe even Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Totally agree, especially Up In The Air. I still find that one difficult to watch. Luckily, IMO, it no longer applies to him.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Tue 05 Jun 2018, 15:08

Up in the air is what in Italy we'd call "un colpo al cuore".

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 05 Jun 2018, 15:38

Doug Ross wrote:Up in the air is what in Italy we'd call "un colpo al cuore".
Sad
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 05 Jun 2018, 18:47

LizzyNY wrote:
Way2Old4Dis wrote:If you want to look for 'George' in his movie characters, try Up In the Air or One Fine Day. Or maybe even Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Totally agree, especially Up In The Air. I still find that one difficult to watch. Luckily, IMO, it no longer applies to him.

I couldn't get on with Up in the Air. I found the story line
of making people redundant, with no compassion, very depressing.

I love and Good Night and Good Luck, Oh Brother where art thou ?
Michael Clayton,  and I do like Leatherheads. LOL.

My memory is going so I'll have to check George's Filmography
as I'm sure that there are many more on my list !  scratch

oopsieIt happensLOL!

So...."I'll be Back" Basketball
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 05 Jun 2018, 19:30

So....my "Love It" list in addition to those 
already mentioned above......

Solaris, Syriana, The American and
The Descendants.

My "Like It" list.....

Three Kings, The Perfect Storm, Ides of March 
and Argo.

Of course when I read through the list
of George's films, it's obvious why 
he is going to be presented with 
the AFI Life Achievement Award.

No one else deserves it more than 
Our Man, George Clooney, IMO.

Give Flowers
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Tue 05 Jun 2018, 19:43

I really didn't like Syriana and The American. But I like The Perfect Storm and I love 3 kings, IOM and Argo.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 05 Jun 2018, 19:48

LizzyNY wrote:

I hope they show The American or Solaris, some of his work that doesn't get aired too often. Michael Clayton would be a good one, too.

Hey Lizzy.....I'm pleased that we're on the same wavelength !     Hello! Coolio

Out of the three my favourite is Solaris.

It's one of the few "George films" that I've seen in the cinema
and because the cinema was half empty in the afternoon I 
found it absolutely spellbinding and I got lost into it.

I think George's acting in that film was just perfect.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 05 Jun 2018, 22:58

I love so many of his movies. I think, performance-wise, Out of Sight (possibly my all time favorite), Michael Clayton and Up In The Air are his best. But then again, there's Syriana and The American and Good Night And Good Luck and... (Ides of March was really good, too, but, like Syriana, I thought the ending was too predictable.)

Just for fun there's the Ocean's trilogy, the truly perverted From Dusk to Dawn (which I watch almost every time it's on - it cracks me up!) and the adorable One Fine Day which has two of my favorite things in it - George Clooney and kittens! Confessions... is fun, too.

I know I've left out a bunch, but I can't think of any of his movies that I really don't like. There are some I don't love, but none that I wouldn't watch again. (Even Ocean's 11 which has driven me to drink for years trying to figure out how the robbery worked! Mad)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Wed 06 Jun 2018, 00:02

I agree on everything, except for The American. I'll never watch that movie again.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 06 Jun 2018, 00:46

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 06 Jun 2018, 01:00

[size=48]George Clooney Says 'Batman & Robin' Was a Career Wake-Up Call
6:15 AM PDT 6/5/2018 by Rebecca Ford
[/size]

Samir Hussein/WireImage

George Clooney

"I needed to take control of the films I made," says the actor, who will be honored with AFI's Life Achievement Award on June 7.

George Clooney has done more by the age of 57 than others could in three lifetimes. After his breakout role as the charming Dr. Ross on the medical drama ER, he’s starred in popcorn fare like the Ocean’s Eleven trilogy; cerebral dramas (Michael Clayton, Up in the Air) and quirky comedies (O Brother, Where Art Thou?); earned seven Oscar nominations (winning for supporting actor for Syriana and as a producer for best picture Argo); and built a notable career as a director (Good Night, and Good Luck, The Ides of March).
Along the way, he’s also earned a reputation as one of the most professional actors in Hollywood (and an infamous prankster). On June 7, he’ll become the American Film Institute’s 46th Life Achievement Award recipient at a star-studded gala (also honoring Black Panther cinematographer Rachel Morrison) that will be broadcast June 21 by TNT.
Ahead of his honor (presented by his Money Monster co-star Julia Roberts), Clooney looked back at his career, the best advice he’s received and the actors who influenced him.
What movie from your past had the biggest influence on your craft?
It’s really easy to pick: Batman & Robin. That’s not a joke. Up until that moment, I was an actor only concerned with finding work. After the failure of that film creatively, I understood that I needed to take control of the films I made, not just the role. My next three films were Out of Sight, Three Kingsand O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Was there a project that made you feel like you’d finally made it?
Certainly ER was the gamechanger for me. I’d done seven TV series and 13 pilots, and nothing stuck. ER was such a phenomenon that it swept all of us up in it.
What actor influenced you the most?
Paul Newman in literally anything. He and Gregory Peck. I knew them both. Loved them as actors and loved them even more as human beings.
Is there a past performance of yours that you love to watch?
I tend to not watch my old stuff because you always see things you missed.
If you were coming up in the industry today, how would things be different for you?
Things are so different. You needed to get film on yourself to get a job, and you couldn’t have film on yourself unless you did a job. The AFI was instrumental in helping young actors get work. Doing short films for them was a way of getting that much-needed film. There’s also so much more work now. It’s truly the golden age of television. It’s an exciting time to be a young actor. 
You told THR last year that you were less interested in acting. Do you still feel that way?
I was working at a pretty intense clip for 30 years, mostly out of fear of being unemployed. The roles I do now are very different than the roles I did even seven years ago. So I’m more selective about acting simply based on the roles available.
Would you ever think about doing theater?
I did a lot of theater when I was young. I did a play at Steppenwolf Theater called Vicious. It’s been probably 20 years since I was onstage. I loved it. Who knows? If something made sense I’d be interested.
Is there a dream role you’d like to take or project you’d like to make?
I don’t think you know the dream job until you see it.
Who gave you the best advice?
My uncle George. He told me not to wake up at 65 and say, “You know what I wish I had done in my life?” He died a couple of years later with a lifetime of regrets, the greatest of them was not chasing his dreams. 

READ MORE

Julia Roberts to Present AFI Life Achievement Award to George Clooney

'THERE WAS NO HIERARCHY WHEN YOU WERE IN HIS PRESENCE'
Clooney’s collaborators reveal what makes the actor-filmmaker a prince of a colleague.
By Andy Lewis and Rebecca Ford

Grant Heslov, producing partner at Smokehouse Pictures
“George’s success as an actor came a little bit later, and I think that he knew, like, ‘This could be fleeting. And I want to be able to make movies and produce movies and write movies.’ You just never know when all that stuff is going to go away. He has a very strong point of view and incredible taste. He’s a real student of film and has been for as long as I’ve known him, which is a long time. He got that from his father. And he’s a really down-to-earth, humble guy. He’s somebody who does his own dishes.” 

Julianna Margulies, ER co-star
“On the ER pilot, I was just a guest star — my character died. I remember my first day sitting in the makeup trailer and meeting George and being welcomed. I think I was No. 20-something on the call sheet, but he treated everyone equally; there was no hierarchy when you were in his presence. He taught me that none of this works without everyone, from the PAs to the focus puller to the cameramen to the actors. I’ve paid it forward in his honor. I was doing a reading with Eric Bogosian — he was on season six of The Good Wife — and he said, ‘I want to tell you that the energy on that set, you set a tone,’ and I said, ‘It’s all George.’ He taught me how to make a wonderful environment for a great working experience.” 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by benex Thu 07 Jun 2018, 18:42

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
benex
benex
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by benex Thu 07 Jun 2018, 18:47

[size=37]George Clooney: Looking Back on the ‘Extremely Normal’ Man’s Extraordinary Career
By Malina Saval
 @MalinaSaval

Malina Saval

Associate Editor, Features@MalinaSavalFOLLOW

Malina's Most Recent Stories

[/size]

• George Clooney: Looking Back on the ‘Extremely Normal’ Man’s Extraordinary Career

• ‘SMILF,’ ‘Portlandia,’ ‘Walking Dead’ Aided by Location Authenticity

• Concert Review: James Taylor Brings Heart and Soul to Hollywood Bowl

• [url=https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2018%2Ffilm%2Fspotlight%2Fafi-fetes-clooney-life-achievement-gala-1202830136%2F%23utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dfacebook%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial_bar%26utm_content%3Dbottom%26utm_id%3D1202830136&title=George Clooney: Looking Back on the %E2%80%98Extremely Normal%E2%80%99 Man%E2%80%99s Extraordinary career&sdk=joey&display=popup&ref=plugin&src=share_button&app_id=278816682243900]Facebook[/url]

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2018%2Ffilm%2Fspotlight%2Fafi-fetes-clooney-life-achievement-gala-1202830136%2F%23utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dtwitter%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial_bar%26utm_content%3Dbottom%26utm_id%3D1202830136&text=George Clooney%3A Looking Back on the %E2%80%98Extremely Normal%E2%80%99 Man%E2%80%99s Extraordinary career&via=variety]Twitter[/url]

• [url=http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2018%2Ffilm%2Fspotlight%2Fafi-fetes-clooney-life-achievement-gala-1202830136%2F%23utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dreddit%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial_bar%26utm_content%3Dbottom%26utm_id%3D1202830136&title=George Clooney: Looking Back on the %E2%80%98Extremely Normal%E2%80%99 Man%E2%80%99s Extraordinary Career]Reddit[/url]

• [email=?subject=variety%20:%20George%20Clooney:%20Looking%20Back%20on%20the%20%E2%80%98Extremely%20Normal%E2%80%99%20Man%E2%80%99s%20Extraordinary%20Career&body=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2018%2Ffilm%2Fspotlight%2Fafi-fetes-clooney-life-achievement-gala-1202830136%2F%23utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial_bar%26utm_content%3Dbottom%26utm_id%3D1202830136%20-%20George%20Clooney:%20Looking%20Back%20on%20the%20%E2%80%98Extremely%20Normal%E2%80%99%20Man%E2%80%99s%20Extraordinary%20Career]Email[/email]

• Show more sharing options

• [url=http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2018%2Ffilm%2Fspotlight%2Fafi-fetes-clooney-life-achievement-gala-1202830136%2F%23utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dlinkedin%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial_bar%26utm_content%3Dbottom%26utm_id%3D1202830136&title=George Clooney: Looking Back on the %E2%80%98Extremely Normal%E2%80%99 Man%E2%80%99s Extraordinary career&summary&source=variety]LinkedIn[/url]

• WhatsApp

• Print

• [url=http://pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2018%2Ffilm%2Fspotlight%2Fafi-fetes-clooney-life-achievement-gala-1202830136%2F%23utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dpinit%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial_bar%26utm_content%3Dbottom%26utm_id%3D1202830136&description=George Clooney: Looking Back on the %E2%80%98Extremely Normal%E2%80%99 Man%E2%80%99s Extraordinary Career]Pin It[/url]

• [url=https://www.tumblr.com/widgets/share/tool/preview?shareSource=legacy&canonicalUrl&url=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2018%2Ffilm%2Fspotlight%2Fafi-fetes-clooney-life-achievement-gala-1202830136%2F%23utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dtumblr%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial_bar%26utm_content%3Dbottom%26utm_id%3D1202830136&posttype=link&title=George Clooney: Looking Back on the %E2%80%98Extremely Normal%E2%80%99 Man%E2%80%99s Extraordinary Career]Tumblr[/url]

CREDIT: REX/SHUTTERSTOCK

In 1994 a little show called “ER” premiered on NBC. Created by prolific science-fiction writer Michael Crichton, the series was a medical drama, somewhat in the tradition of “St. Elsewhere,” and focused on the private lives and burgeoning careers of emergency room doctors in Chicago’s County General Hospital. Among the cast members were Anthony Edwards, of “Top Gun” fame, up-and-comers Julianna Margulies and Noah Wyle, and George Clooney, a relatively unknown actor from Kentucky with a smattering of TV credits to his name, including recurring roles on “Roseanne,” the short-lived CBS comedy “E/R” (different show, Elliott Gould starred) and “The Facts of Life,” on which Clooney played the eponymous “George,” a charismatic handyman with winged hair who eventually quits his job to go on tour with pop star Cinnamon (played by ’90s singer Stacey Q).

“ER” became a giant hit, winning numerous Emmy awards, with Clooney its resident heartthrob. If you were in college at the time, you’d remember the scores of premed and bio students rushing home from class to watch Clooney’s character, reckless pediatric fellow Doug Ross, save children’s lives, constantly put his license to practice in jeopardy and navigate his tumultuous on-and-off again romantic relationship with Margulies’ character, nurse Carol Hathaway. “ER” had it all: drama, heartbreak and enough medical crises to fill the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

RELATED

Stephen Colbert Offers Trump Advice, Talks Cleaning George Clooney's Toilet

Julia Roberts to Present George Clooney With AFI Life Achievement Award

Five years into the series, by the time he left “ER” to pursue film full time, Clooney was an international movie star. And on June 7 Clooney will be feted with the 46th AFI Life Achievement Award at Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre.

Clooney has played the iconic caped crusader in Joel Schumacher’s “Batman & Robin,” a seductive bank robber in Steven Soderbergh’s “Out of Sight” and an American soldier in Terrence Malick’s Oscar-nominated World War II drama “The Thin Red Line.” Post-”ER,” his career ascended with fiery speed. Clooney became not just a leading man, but also director, producer and screenwriter.

Clooney’s first Oscar would come for his supporting role in Stephen Gaghan’s 2005 oil industry thriller “Syriana.” That same year, he was nominated for director and original screenplay, with co-screenwriter Grant Heslov, for “Good Night, and Good Luck,” a biographical drama about journalist Edward R. Murrow’s fight to take down Sen. Joseph McCarthy during the anti-communism frenzy of the early 1950s.

Clooney won his second Oscar for producing the 2012 Iran hostage crisis saga “Argo,” an award he shared with producing partner Heslov and producer-star Ben Affleck, who also directed the film. There were other lead actor Oscar nominations along the way, for “Michael Clayton,” “Up in the Air” and “The Descendants,” roles that further earmarked Clooney as an actor with a gift for playing a heightened version of himself, or at least, that self we imagined him to be: sensitive, romantic, ever-so-slightly tragic. He played characters who longed for love, but were unable to commit, characters that used razor sharp humor to supplant their searing emotional pain. In Soderbergh’s 2002 sci-fi fantasy “Solaris,” Clooney’s character, a psychiatrist sent to investigate the crew of a research station circling outer space, spends the entire movie pining away for Natascha McElhone, who plays a startling likeness to his wife who committed suicide on planet Earth. Clooney was beautiful, lonely, hurt. Women wanted to save him; men wanted to be him.

In real life, Clooney was a hardcore bachelor with a string of girlfriends who came and went. For nearly 20 years, his sole heir was Max, a 300-pound Vietnamese pot-bellied pig. Their relationship was a Hollywood love story in its own right, sparking magazine stories and photo spreads.

In Ian Parker’s 2008 profile of Clooney in the New Yorker, subtitled “The effort behind George Clooney’s effortless charm,” Parker wrote, “Clooney’s appeal is less sleek and submerged — he is the fellow at the end of the bar, who, on a scale running from James Stewart to Jack Nicholson, has found an enviable midpoint of courteous roguishness.”

Comic actor Richard Kind, one of Clooney’s oldest and closest friends, recalls attending with Clooney a late 1980s production of Joe Orton’s stage play “Loot,” both of them marvelling at the performance of Joseph Maher, who played Truscott of the Yard. “It brought down the house,” says Kind. “George and I both turned to one another and said, ‘I want to be that kind of actor.’ ”

Clooney, says Kind, became just that sort of actor.

“When he does the straight roles he’s like Henry Fonda or James Stewart, actors who seem like they’re always playing themselves, and yet they are very slyly, understatedly playing someone else,” says Kind. “But he is also able to go crazy. If you take a look at ‘O Brother, Where Art Thou?’ or ‘Three Kings,’ he can go to those boundaries and push them quite a lot.”

It’s this winning combination of “courteous roguishness” and “effortless charm,” not to mention an unwavering commitment to humanitarian causes and left-wing politics, that’s made Clooney a natural in the philanthropic realm as well. Along with his “Ocean’s Eleven” co-stars Don Cheadle, Matt Damon and Brad Pitt, and producer Jerry Weintraub, Clooney founded Not on Our Watch, an organization whose mission is to stop genocide in Sudan. In 2008, then Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appointed Clooney as a U.N. Messenger of Peace. Since then, Clooney’s humanitarian efforts have expanded to include raising funds for victims of the 2010 Haiti earthquake; survivors of the Armenian genocide; and the March for Our Lives campaign, founded after the Stoneman Douglas High School massacre on Feb. 14.

In 2014, Clooney undertook his most unexpected role (for his fans, anyway) as husband, marrying British-Lebanese humans-right attorney Amal Alamuddin.

The proudest achievement of Clooney’s life: “The day George convinced Amal to marry him,” says Nick Clooney, veteran journalist and anchorman and George’s father.

In 2017, the couple welcomed twins, Ella and Alexander. At age 57, George Clooney is a first-time dad.

“He gets a kick out of them much more than I would have thought he would,” says Kind. “They make him laugh and he laughs with them and at them.”

The most surprising fact about George Clooney, says Heslov, who first met Clooney in an acting class in 1982, is “just how normal he is.”

“The thing about him that might seem abnormal is that he’s extremely normal,” says Heslov, who co-founded Smokehouse Pictures with Clooney in 2006. “He’s just a generally good and nice guy — that’s really who he is. He does his own dishes.”

Clooney and Heslov are in Italy shooting the six-part miniseries “Catch-22,” an adaptation of Joseph Heller’s satirical wartime classic. They are both acting, directing and executive producing the project, which also stars Christopher Abbott as lead protagonist, Cpt. John Yossarian.

“We only write when we’re together. We don’t like long distance,” says Heslov of their creative process. “We have a desk, I do the actual writing. Sometimes we act the scenes out. George uses a notepad and I use the computer because he doesn’t love the computer, that’s not his thing. We write fast, we don’t mess around. We start at 9 in the morning and we work until 5 or 6 in the afternoon. We have a little lunch, but we really do work pretty hard.” He adds, laughing, “We’re together too much.”

As much as Clooney has cultivated a reputation for being magnanimous and charitable and sophisticated — Kind remembers another night at the theater when they went to see “The Vagina Monologues,” and Clooney “tipped the parking lot attendant $100” — he’s also renowned amongst friends as a master of practical jokes.

“George is an exceptional, smart and very serious, generous person who does many great things, but he also makes time to plan and execute terrible pranks on his loved ones,” says Jimmy Kimmel, who’s collaborated with Clooney on myriad uproarious late-night skits. A recent gag: Clooney, on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ to promote “Suburbicon,” promised to introduce his newborn twins, only for “manny” Matt Damon, with whom Kimmel has had a longstanding public (and very much faux) feud, to crash the interview, wheeling in a double-stroller with rolled-up pink and blue blankets. And no babies.

“Nothing delights [George] more than identifying a vulnerability and striking when an attack is unexpected,” says Kimmel. “I’ve seen George reduce himself to tears retelling his years of torment. The amount of time and energy he spends on this kind of thing is literally incredible. He somehow manages to be both the best and worst friend a person could have, and that is a dichotomy I love.”
That’s the consummate Clooney, says Kimmel: he’s an Oscar-winning movie star-slash-filmmaker whose proclivity for pranks and good humor is outranked only by his desire to do good in the world and make the people around him feel better about themselves.

“George was my first-ever guest on Jan. 26, 2003,” says Kimmel. “It was my first show and we were on live after the Super Bowl, with many millions of people watching. I was as nervous as I’d ever been and terribly unprepared to host a talk show. After a shaky start, George, who I did not know and who was much too big a star to be there, showed up and calmed me down with shot glasses, vodka and movie-star magic. He gave our show and its bumbling host instant credibility just by showing up, and was so charming and funny. It did not matter that I was not. George is always great, but that debut likely would have been a disaster without him.”

Clooney, says dad Nick, has always been a “performer,” and will evolve as such no matter what role he next undertakes.

“George was at home in front of the camera from his earliest days visiting a TV studio,” he says. “I had no idea he would reach the heights he has attained. Most of us reach a plateau in our careers, a comfort level. George never has. He keeps learning, growing.”
benex
benex
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 07 Jun 2018, 19:23

A really thoughtful piece

Thanks Benex

I'm guessing the pic is an interview ahead of tonight......?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by benex Thu 07 Jun 2018, 20:43

party animal - not! wrote:I'm guessing the pic is an interview ahead of tonight......?
 I think so :-)
benex
benex
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Thu 07 Jun 2018, 20:53

I love when all these people get together to honor one person, it kinda moves me. I can't wait to hear his speech, to see if he'll mentions the kids. 

I didn't know he was Kimmel's first guest, he was also Colbert's. That shows, as if were necessary, that he's one of the best guests to have and that he could carry the show alone.

Last edited by Doug Ross on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 21:22; edited 1 time in total

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 07 Jun 2018, 21:00

ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 07 Jun 2018, 21:03

Thanks, Benex. The quotes from his friends are really insightful and much more revealing than usual - especially the quotes from Richard Kind. Good find!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 08 Jun 2018, 00:00

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 08 Jun 2018, 00:19

Yes, really good article.  We’ve read so much about George over the years and it’s always satisfying to learn something about him we haven’t read before.  

Looking forward to pics later Very Happy
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Fri 08 Jun 2018, 00:28

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 08 Jun 2018, 02:40

Bill's arrived

And Anna Kendrick

And Julianne Margulies

Last edited by party animal - not! on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 02:49; edited 1 time in total

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by hairyhound Fri 08 Jun 2018, 02:48

is there a live stream for this?
hairyhound
hairyhound
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 08 Jun 2018, 02:49

Can't find one.......

but this..

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 08 Jun 2018, 02:56

Getty Images - George and Amal have arrived

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 08 Jun 2018, 03:06

Just checked Getty.  George looks so handsome!  Saw a pic of Nina too.

Just Jared had pics of Rande and Cindy ...
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 08 Jun 2018, 03:29

It's so nice to see George Clooney celebrated!!!  It's absolutely wonderful to be just a heartbeat away; please tell everyone, ladybug said Hi!!! 

He looks so handsome; viewing the pictures just makes my heart happy.

Last edited by ladybugcngc on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 04:21; edited 1 time in total
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 08 Jun 2018, 04:01

There are a couple of really touching pics of George and his dad during the ceremony.  And a beautiful kiss between Amal and George.  

Can’t wait to see the ceremony on the 21st!

Ladybug I don’t think you are supposed to post Getty pictures here.  I think PAN mentioned this on another thread.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 08 Jun 2018, 04:28

Donna, 

Today PAN did inform me about the Getty and other copyright infringements.  I did not know I could not post the link.

I remember the sweet kiss he gave Stacy Keibler at an award ceremony.  I'm glad it will air and we will have the chance to view it.

Donna is does it air 06/21/2018?  bounce
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next