George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords

3 posters

Go down

Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords Empty Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords

Post by party animal - not! Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:58

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords Empty Re: Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords

Post by fava Mon 30 Oct 2017, 14:14

Why does this irritate the heck out of me?  And it has nothing to do with Amal. 

Is every accomplished man suggested for the House of Lords?  It seems like this woman is saying there is such a dearth of accomplished women and so we must invest all power in the so very few that are out there.  Come on.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords Empty Re: Amal Clooney tipped for seat in the House of Lords

Post by party animal - not! Mon 30 Oct 2017, 14:30

It's not quite like that but I can see what you mean.

The House of Lords has an absolute dearth of women, largely because of the inherited status who are mostly men. There is also a thinking in GB by some that it needs to addressed and for some the inherited peers should not be so prevalent.

Baroness Kennedy is a masterful QC - and Labour supporter - who's looking a long way into the future I think at the membership of the second chamber

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 30 Oct 2017, 15:53

PAN- I thought membership in the House of Lords was totally hereditary. How could Amal become a member? She wasn't even born in the UK.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 30 Oct 2017, 19:01

Here's the answer, Lizzy, courtesy of Wikipedia........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Amal is British, Lizzy, and has a British passport, even though she was born in Lebanon........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 30 Oct 2017, 20:21

PAN -Thanks for the link. I should have thought of it myself. Embarassed I did read several articles and thought I understood, but then I read one too many and am totally confused!

If only 92 peers serve at one time, and if one dies they fill the spot by election from the 800 remaining hereditary peers, how does someone who isn't a peer get in? I thought they were limited to 92. Then I saw somewhere else that there were 693 peers! It's too much for my little brain to take in. I'm going to take a nap and give it another try later.   Smile
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 30 Oct 2017, 22:24

Here goes. Lizzy. Are you rested?!

So the hereditary peers were reduced to 92 in the House of Lords by agreement in 2003 and the rest of the places are taken up by life peers who are nominated by the government of the day.

Quite how they decide which hereditary peer replaces one who dies I have no idea not being somebody who would qualify and need to know the process!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 31 Oct 2017, 00:30

PAN - O.K. , so there are 92 "hereditary" peers who are born into it - and there are "life" peers who don't pass on the title. Got that. So I'm assuming there are 92 hereditary peers and a whole bunch of life peers. Is that how there are 600- odd peers altogether? Is there a limit to how many there can be?

Sorry to sound so ignorant. Do you find our system as confusing?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down