George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues

5 posters

Go down

Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues Empty Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues

Post by Katiedot Mon 25 Mar 2013, 08:08

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Nicholas Kristof talks about why he's compelled to regularly enlist the help of Hollywood celebrities like George Clooney... and George surprises Nicholas with a video blog from Mr. Clooney himself.

Kristof also explores how racism played a part in the world's failure to intervene in the crisis in Darfur.
Kristof and his partner, Sheryl WuDunn were in town as the keynote guests at the Inaugural BLUMA LECTURE at the Toronto Reference Library - a new annual lecture at the Toronto Public Library dedicated to the discussion of important issues by some of the world's most thoughtful opinion-leaders, and named in honour of Toronto philanthropist Bluma Appel.

They are the co-authors of 'Half the Sky', and they recently launched a pioneering game on Facebook. HALF THE SKY MOVEMENT: THE GAME is a Facebook game that raises funds and awareness to empower girls and women across the world.

In this clip, Nicholas talks about...
Why he needs celebrities to help draw attention to global issues:

George: "Now, you are at this place where we are a culture that values celebrities, so the fact that you have some, has changed your game as well, hasn't it? It has allowed you to go into places that perhaps you wouldn't have otherwise been able to go.

Nicholas: "I've had very mixed feelings about this, and I have indeed used celebrities at times, in the documentary for TV. We chose actresses, very prominent actresses, and went with them, because we thought that was a way of tugging people along. I once went to Darfur and brought George Clooney along because I thought that people would want to read about George Clooney, more than they would about Darfuris.

How racism played a role in world's reaction to the crisis Darfur:
George: "What do you make of some of the conversation, you hear it pop up every now and then, I know I spent some time going Darfur and even sub Saharan Africa you see this criticism of the 'great white hope'- the white savior coming in. What do you make of that?

Nicholas: "Essentially I think that it's profoundly wrong to inject race in any form in these kinds of issues. At the end of the day, the problem for Darfur hasn't been that white savors want to help them; it is that frankly, that their skin color is not white. The world was willing to help Kosovo, to help Bosnians, it was not willing to help Rwandans, or Darfuris. And I think that we should not be worrying about people's skin color one way or the other. As you know, you were there; the Darfuris want help from anyone who can provide it."
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues Empty Re: Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues

Post by Mazy Mon 25 Mar 2013, 09:37

Katiedot,
Thanks for this article and link, I'm going to check it out more tomorrow. I want to see if it's any of the ones that I get Newsletters from, there are so many today was a bad day between Darfur and Gun Control here. So many are killed everyday a two year old was shot & killed while getting their diaper changed; another baby was shot & killed in their baby carriage and it just went on and on. I had to take a long break. God Bless them all. Thanks again.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues Empty Re: Nicholas Kristof On How Celebrities Like George Clooney Can Bring Much-Needed Attention To Global Issues

Post by Atalante Mon 25 Mar 2013, 15:46

Katiedot do you have other hobbies too besides G.C. ??? Question
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 25 Mar 2013, 17:19

Yes, I do yoga every day, I dive at the weekends, I read a lot and have a full time job. Oh, and I'm also an aunt to a demanding parrot.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 25 Mar 2013, 21:59

Must be some parrot ! Twisted Evil
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 25 Mar 2013, 22:14

Now I might be wrong, but I think it was an article by Nicholas Kristof in the Washington Post, or New York Times that first started His Nibs' interest in Darfur...............wasn't it?

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Mon 25 Mar 2013, 22:15

Yes it was pa-n ---- I think Nick Clooney told GC about them. I like Nicholas Kristof and his commitment.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down