Latest topics
Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Suburbicon reviews

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Suburbicon reviews

Post by Donnamarie on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 18:33

As I recall ‘The Guardian’ reviewed ‘Suburbicon’ around the time of the Venice Film Festival ... not a positive critique either. I do think European audiences appreciate George’s movies more than Americans do so maybe the film will play better overseas.

I don’t think George has any interest whatsoever in running for any office.  And he is a bit of a polarizing figure in today’s political climate. There are a lot of people who just don’t like George.  

George has his hand in other endeavors outside the film industry but I do think his first love is making movies.  I just have to imagine he’s doing a lot of serious thinking about where he goes from here as far as his career.  But his family is truly his first priority and I too think he will make sure he is very much a part of raising Ella and Alex.
Donnamarie
On an all-time Clooney high!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 18:56

LizzyNY wrote:Because PAN posted a Guardian article that suggested George might want to get into politics because his recent movies (including "Suburbicon") have been flops.
As Way2 noted, "Suburbicon" was not reviewed in that article. 

Maybe a blog about George Clooney running for President would be a better fit for PAN's post. 

Flop is a strong word, as I told Donna you can't believe everything you read.  To take the views of critics, run with it with abandonment, and take no time to view the film for yourself exemplify the times we are living in.  

I find it interesting people who seem to follow George Clooney's career and personal life, day in and day out have such strong opinions about a movie they took no time to view for themselves.
ladybugcngc
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 19:21

I like his movies . I think he is very talented .   Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 19:32

Ladybug - I haven't seen the movie. The way it looks now, I probably won't see it until it comes out on dvd or is shown on tv. I like his movies, but the more I learn about this one  the less I feel like it's my kind of film - or at least not the kind of film I'm in the mood for right now. Not judging the quality of the movie - just saying it doesn't seem like a film I'd enjoy, so I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

As far as his movies being  "flops", that's the word the Guardian used.  This isn't a review of "Suburbicon". They just say that his recent movies, haven't been massive hits (although they've gotten a lot of promotion). So the Guardian suggests he might want to look to politics for a new career.
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 19:42

I think the word " flop " is really lame. . Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 19:57

party animal - not! wrote:Totally agree with you, Lizzy. I think the Guardian's film man was just looking for a different angle which, as it happens, seems a little kinder in a non-review kind of way.

In fact I'm wondering if the European critics may be less vociferous in their critiques given they slightly removed from the situation and folks here may be more inquisitive......

You never know!  

Thanks for making my point PAN.  The Guardian's article is a non-review, I'm not quite sure why you posted it in "Suburbicon" Reviews.

In this blog, you have posted several articles with a negative overview.  Have you seen "Suburbicon"?
ladybugcngc
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 20:33

LizzyNY wrote:Ladybug - I haven't seen the movie. The way it looks now, I probably won't see it until it comes out on dvd or is shown on tv. I like his movies, but the more I learn about this one  the less I feel like it's my kind of film - or at least not the kind of film I'm in the mood for right now. Not judging the quality of the movie - just saying it doesn't seem like a film I'd enjoy, so I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

As far as his movies being  "flops", that's the word the Guardian used.  This isn't a review of "Suburbicon". They just say that his recent movies, haven't been massive hits (although they've gotten a lot of promotion). So the Guardian suggests he might want to look to politics for a new career.
Lizzy: "I like his movies, but the more I learn about this one  the less I feel like it's my kind of film - or at least not the kind of film I'm in the mood for right now." 

Because of all the clips and pre-interviews, I went into this movie thinking I knew what it was about. 

The plot was completely different than anything I expected.  The intrigue of how the two stories mix is engaging; how the story, of the two families unfold is exemplary. 

It left me with the understanding "wrong doing" did not win and hope the next generation will find ways to work together. 

I understand and respect your decision not to go out of your way to see "Suburbican".   I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions of you and others on Clooney's Open House if and/or when you actually view it.
ladybugcngc
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 21:15

Ladybug, it was my intention to see the film this past weekend. I see all of George’s movies when they come out. This is the first one in many years that I didn’t get to see in the theatre. Unfortunately all the theatres around me have pulled the film. It had only been out three weeks! So now I’m going to have to wait until it is available on Amazon and dvd. I suspect a lot of our American posters are going to have the same problem. Our European posters hopefully will get out to see it and talk about it here.

I don’t think any of us can disregard all of the negative reviews. There is something that either George got wrong or maybe most people just aren’t getting. But if most people can’t appreciate George’s vision and execution of ‘Suburbicon’ why is that? I do think some critics and moviegoers like to pile on and trash George’s work .... just because he is who he is. I remember when ‘The American’ came out and wasn’t reviewed positively by many critics. I loved it. I thought it was one of George’s best roles and the story and cinematography were great. But it was obviously not a movie for most people’s taste. I think there is more going on with the overall reaction to ‘Suburbicon’.

I agree with amaretti .... George is really talented, especially as an actor. And he has a lot to say about what’s going on in our world. I want George to succeed in the business that he loves so much. He loves directing. Ultimately he’s got to do a better job of successfully translating his vision to the big screen.
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 22:31

Donnamarie wrote:Ladybug, it was my intention to see the film this past weekend.  I see all of George’s movies when they come out.  This is the first one in many years that I didn’t get to see in the theatre. Unfortunately all the theatres around me have pulled the film.  It had only been out three weeks!  So now I’m going to have to wait until it is available on Amazon and dvd.  I suspect a lot of our American posters are going to have the same problem.  Our European posters hopefully will get out to see it and talk about it here.

I don’t think any of us can disregard all of the negative reviews.  There is something that either George got wrong or maybe most people just aren’t getting.   But if most people can’t appreciate George’s vision and execution of ‘Suburbicon’ why is that?  I do think some critics and moviegoers like to pile on and trash George’s work .... just because he is who he is.   I remember when ‘The American’ came out and wasn’t reviewed positively by many critics.  I loved it.  I thought it was one of George’s best roles and the story and cinematography were great.  But it was obviously not a movie for most people’s taste.  I think there is more going on with the overall reaction to ‘Suburbicon’.

I agree with amaretti .... George is really talented, especially as an actor.   And he has a lot to say about what’s going on in our world.  I want George to succeed in the business that he loves so much.  He loves directing.  Ultimately he’s got to do a better job of successfully translating his vision to the big screen.
Donna,

Having seen "Suburbicon" I have a hard time understanding what the critics did not get.  Maybe once you see the film, you can better explain the critics view.

The people I've talked to really like the film.  Way2 stated one friend flat out liked the film, the other friend liked the film, but thought people may not get the irony.

Reading reviews, and actually talking to people person to person are two completely different things.

I completely understand you were not able to see the film.  The problem I'm having is the constant talk about the critic reviews,  assessments of people here based on critic reviews, with absolutely no frame of reference to actually viewing the film or talking directly with people who actually saw the film.  That dynamic is alarming to me. 

Your statement:  Ultimately he’s got to do a better job of successfully translating his vision to the big screen.

...exemplifies my concerns.  What are you basing that statement on as it relates to this film?  It concerns me if it's based on what others have written.  As opposed to a first hand, person to person account.  Or your own first hand account.

Donna, I'm going to be honest, words can't describe how enjoyable this film was to watch; the writing, vision, acting, and execution is so creative (in my opinion).

The truth is you can't believe everything you read.  Sometimes motive and intent play into the actions of others.

Bottom line:   I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions of you and others on Clooney's Open House if and/or when you actually view "Suburbicon".
ladybugcngc
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 18:32

I don't believe for one minute George would run for president, but journalists' surmisings seem to have been a useful distraction. Wonder how that came about.......

I don't believe he will concentrate solely on his philanthropic work either - he seems to be a brilliant multi-tasker - but he may be facing problems on that front too.

Lebanon seems to be becoming politically unstable - as if four million refugees in a country of two and half million people is not enough in a country of three million.

The Prime Minister has fled the country fearing assassination and both Saudi Arabia and Iran and Hezbollah seem to be involved.

Let us hope it stabilises quickly so that the Clooney Foundation can continue their work...........

party animal - not!
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 18:47

party animal - not! wrote:I don't believe for one minute George would run for president, but journalists' surmisings seem to have been a useful distraction. Wonder how that came about.......

I don't believe he will concentrate solely on his philanthropic work either - he seems to be a brilliant multi-tasker - but he may be facing problems on that front too.

Lebanon seems to be becoming politically unstable - as if four million refugees in a country of two and half million people is not enough in a country of three million.  

The Prime Minister has fled the country fearing assassination and both Saudi Arabia and Iran and Hezbollah seem to be involved.

Let us hope it stabilises quickly so that the Clooney Foundation can continue their work...........
Interesting "Suburbicon" review.  PAN you seem to have an obsession with the George Clooney for President topic.  Maybe you can help me understand why you are posting George Clooney for President in the "Suburbicon" reviews blog.  Did you see "Suburbicon"?
ladybugcngc
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 19:43

In the UK. Release date as mentioned is November 24

party animal - not!
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 19:57

party animal - not! wrote:In the UK. Release date as mentioned is November 24
If you plan to see it, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
ladybugcngc
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum