George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles

+30
silly willy
Biset
MeganMorris
Picachu
isogotit
bgarabedian
Way2Old4Dis
Katiedot
Sevens
iamnoone
Rainy
sparkie
globalchick
kat19
Cece42
Joanna
Jenn
What Would He Say
cupcake
LornaDoone
/
Doug Ross
LizzyNY
fava
ldg
Nicky80
annemarie
lelacorb
Atalante
melbert
34 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 Empty Re: Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Oct 2014, 12:26

Totally agree, Annemarie

An article from Forbes giving the background to the Clooneys' influence and work required that has gone into this case

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 Empty Re: Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Oct 2014, 12:29

Interesting that the Robert Hardman article today is getting only a handful of comment from readers, but that the previous two articles and pix on the case got literally thousands of comments...

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 15 Oct 2014, 13:24

Very Happy Yep use a woman and BANG !  Laughing
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Wed 15 Oct 2014, 13:32

party animal - not! wrote:Interesting that the Robert Hardman article today is getting only a handful of comment from readers, but that the previous two articles and pix on the case got literally thousands of comments...

It has got over 300 comments now. But it is the third article on the same story in two days and this article was more about the marbles and no new outfit for Amal.
Silje
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 15 Oct 2014, 13:36

Well if you want to sell a car, put a pretty girl next to it. That's how MEN tick. Men still run this planet, ... into destruction. sarcasmROTFL
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 3 Empty Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles

Post by melbert Wed 15 Oct 2014, 13:39

From the Forbes article:

"Experts and columnists in England see the involvement of Amal Clooney, the most junior members of the group meeting this week with culture minister Kostas Tasoulas and Prime Minister Antonis Samaras, among others, as a valuable point in Greece’s favor.
She brings glamour that the Greek government could only have dreamed of when her firm, Doughty Chambers, first took up the case in 2011,” writes the Guardian.
Apparently this week’s talks were to take place more than a month ago but were postponed when it became known that Alamuddin was soon to marry the world’s most sought-after bachelor."
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 15 Oct 2014, 13:59

I've just moved these posts from the general thread to a separate one, as I think this is going to be an ongoing discussion.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 14:19

Well the Hardman article definitely reads like an opinion piece. If he wasn't so sarcastic and smug in making his points I might be more sympathetic to his views. He claims the Greeks are exploiting this issue. As if they should not seriously care about wanting to have a huge part of their history returned to them. The Greeks certainly have a legitimate case but I feel it will be difficult to defend their case as has been mentioned before in other articles. The Forbes article is correcat in that Amal sure has brought added publicity that I guess the Greeks see can only helps their cause.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Oct 2014, 14:28

Meeting the Greek Prime Minister

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Wed 15 Oct 2014, 14:42

Katiedot wrote:I've just moved these posts from the general thread to a separate one, as I think this is going to be an ongoing discussion.

Really, I thought the Brits were just going to lower their stiff    upper lip and give the marbles back.

Of course then the Greekish Goverment have to concern themselves with the countries real problems instead of this populistic tactic.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 15 Oct 2014, 14:59

Gee, and Geoffrey Robertson QC sure looks dapper too!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 15:09

Oh yea Melbert, Geoffrey looks very smart. That's quite a statement of a tie.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Oct 2014, 15:14

He's has an equally smart wife of course - Kathy Lette

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Oct 2014, 15:43

Press conference this afternoon:

Last edited by Nicky80 on Wed 15 Oct 2014, 20:41; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added video)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Oct 2014, 15:45

I wonder if the other alternative on the negotiating table is for the Marbles to be on loan to Greece.

Historically they were paid for, as I understand it, and not just taken.....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Wed 15 Oct 2014, 16:18

party animal - not! wrote:I wonder if the other alternative on the negotiating table is for the Marbles to be on loan to Greece.

Historically they were paid for, as I understand it, and not just taken.....

There is a dispute on whether they were taken or paid for. But if Elgin made a deal with the Ottoman rulers then the Greeks don't recognize the deal because they were occupied by the Turks. But Greece belonged to the Roman Empire, Byzan empire and Ottoman empire for almost 2000 years. Before that there were small citystates and kingdoms all over Greece.  The country of Greece didn't excist until around 1830. And here comes the irony, it was the Brits, the French and the Russians who helped them getting their independence by fighting the Ottomans.

I am rooting for the Brits on this one. They earned the marbles.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Oct 2014, 17:09

Ironic then that Greece has hired Doughy Street Chambers for their advice in their campaign

Here they are at the Acropolis featured on the BBC News

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 15 Oct 2014, 17:18

Silje wrote:Really, I thought the Brits were just going to lower their stiff    upper lip and give the marbles back.
Nevah! Wink
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Wed 15 Oct 2014, 18:56

party animal - not! wrote:Ironic then that Greece has hired Doughy Street Chambers for their advice in their campaign

At the link you posted, there's a video of Amal in press conference. At the end she said "even if it's the early stage in the marriage, I'm wise enough to know that's up to my husband...?" I can't understand what she said after. I think that she was responding to a question about George's humanitarian works, but I don't understand what she said.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Wed 15 Oct 2014, 19:06

I missed the video the first time Doug Ross.

I think she says: It is up to my husband which causes he choses to support.

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 19:14

She was asked whether she would encourage her husband to become more or less vocal on the legal case she now handles. She replied I would hope that even at this very early stage of marriage I am wise enough to know it's up to my husband to choose which cases he wants to support or not.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Wed 15 Oct 2014, 19:24

Now it's clear, thank you Sije e Annemarie.
Annemarie, did you see another video of the press conference?

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 19:54

There is an article on people on line.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 15 Oct 2014, 19:56

Katiedot wrote:I've just moved these posts from the general thread to a separate one, as I think this is going to be an ongoing discussion.
Yes you removed my comment, I wonder why ?  Rolling Eyes
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 15 Oct 2014, 19:56

melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 20:06

Thanks melbert. I did really appreciate her comment about the separation of the head and body of one of the sculptures between the two countries.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Wed 15 Oct 2014, 20:28

Thanks for the link Melbert. In the People video the guy talking is comparing her to Princesse Di, that is a first.

This two piece dress is my least favourite of the three outfits she been wearing in Greece. It is lacking something. The white-green dress she wore yesterday was much better and the brown pants  with the little white cardigan. This outfit is too ... frumpy.

She speaks posh English and she uses difficult words/lawyer lingo.. Poor George, she should have bought him a Thesaurus.  

Speaking of  difficult words, where is W2O4D?

And where is Pigpen?
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 15 Oct 2014, 20:33

A. I don't think George needs a thesaurus. He's pretty smart.

B. I don't know where Way2Old is, but PigPen is taking a break. Hope she'll be back soon. They're both missed.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by / Wed 15 Oct 2014, 20:42

Can anyone find a full video of the complete conference or was it this short?

/
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Wed 15 Oct 2014, 20:45

Katiedot wrote:
Silje wrote:Really, I thought the Brits were just going to lower their stiff    upper lip and give the marbles back.
Nevah!   Wink

LOL!  you Little meany Beaten
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Wed 15 Oct 2014, 21:09

Doug Ross wrote:
party animal - not! wrote:Ironic then that Greece has hired Doughy Street Chambers for their advice in their campaign

At the link you posted, there's a video of Amal in press conference. At the end she said "even if it's the early stage in the marriage, I'm wise enough to know that's up to my husband...?" I can't understand what she said after. I think that she was responding to a question about George's humanitarian works, but I don't understand what she said.

Silje wrote:I missed the video the first time Doug Ross.

I think she says: It is up to my husband which causes he choses to support.

annemarie wrote:She was asked whether she would encourage her husband to become more or less vocal on the legal case she now handles. She replied I would hope that even at this very early stage of marriage I am wise enough to know it's up to my husband to choose which cases he wants to support or not.

Doug Ross wrote:Now it's clear, thank you Sije e Annemarie.
Annemarie, did you see another video of the press conference?

Here is a Video where you can hear it more clearly

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 15 Oct 2014, 21:29

Silje wrote:...

Speaking of  difficult words, where is W2O4D?

I ran out of difficult words. Had to run out and stock up.

No, seriously, I'd had my fill of (1) George & Amal, the wedding, the post-game, the recap, and the predictions, and (2) the one-note haters who ruin every discussion with the ridiculous bashing and inside secret BS. Plus, I had to spruce up a project for a presentation, so I stayed offline till I got it done the way I wanted it.

It's so sweet you missed me. I'm blushing. Not that anyone could ever tell.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 21:41

Welcome back  W2O4D , nothing has changed the bashing is continuing and has gotten even more ridiculous.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 15 Oct 2014, 21:45

Way2Old - Glad you're back. Hope the project  turned out great! Missed you. Hello!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 21:50

I'm fairly new here but already I missed your wisdom and clarity. Looks like you're pretty disciplined too since you stayed away from all this banter (some of it definitely BS and even worse) so you could finish your project. Welcome back to all the fun.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Wed 15 Oct 2014, 22:37

Thanks for the video, Nicky Very Happy

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 16 Oct 2014, 00:11

Thanks, guys. The touch-up is done, but I haven't done the presentation yet. Nothing fancy. I mean, I'm not saving marble statues or anything (just to swing it around to the topic of the thread).

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 16 Oct 2014, 03:36

There's a very interesting piece online from Time, written by Catherine Mayer "The Latest Exhibit in the Museum of Disempowered". Could someone post it here or provide a link please. Worthy of a discussion here. Just Google Amal. Thanks!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by bgarabedian Thu 16 Oct 2014, 08:28

Amal has quite a british accent. she is quite well spoken and uses intelligent words and very confident in her speech. she could run for a higher office and I am sure george has his mind on running for office someday. George is very down to earth and I do not see it with Amal. She seems very sophist and highly knowledgeable and I just do not see george like this. I know he is very smart as a director, producer, actor but they are  both striving to be on top. and it might clash. Anyway, good luck to them. bg

bgarabedian
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:36

bgarabedian wrote: Amal ha un bel accento britannico. Lei è molto ben parlato e usa parole intelligenti e molto fiducioso nel suo discorso. lei potrebbe funzionare per un ufficio più alto e sono sicuro che George ha la sua mente a correre per l'ufficio un giorno. George è molto giù per terra e non vedo con Amal. Lei sembra molto sofista e altamente competente e io non vedo george come questo. So che è molto intelligente come regista, produttore, attore ma sono entrambi cercando di essere in cima. e potrebbe scontrarsi. In ogni caso, buona fortuna a loro. bg
I completely agree with you, George, and Amal are very different from each other, I see a future in which she will tire of him and he bored of a woman as sophisticated:
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 16 Oct 2014, 11:54

I think they are probably more similar than we know. They are both intelligent and caring. They both have good senses of humor and love their family and friends. I also think that is what George fell in love with her intelligence and knowledge he is a smart man and I think appreciates these things in Amal .  I have no idea why people want to believe they are so different if they were so different they would not have married. From all the speeches that were said at the wedding , by people who know and love them they are quite well matched.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:01

Photos from last night and another angle on the story - sort of - from the Mail

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:01

New sighting of her today:
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:02

Agree Annemarie. Are we, those who don't even know G&A personally, going to dispute all the wonderful things said about the couple at the wedding by their family and friends? that speech by Nick Clooney alone was incredibly touching. And Bill Murray said such sweet things, especially about Amal. Are they all lying or covering up for this supposed sham of a marriage that some on this forum claim? Please!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:31

Sevens and PAN, thanks. She looks lovely. She always looks great in that color. And she sure has been a hit in Greece. I mentioned in a few posts above an article online by Time that I thought was really interesting. Could someone provide the link? And thanks Sevens for providing the link for the Daily Mail pic of the Murano glasses on the other thread.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:51

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 16 Oct 2014, 13:10

The Greek government caused this press riot. They announced Amal was coming they obviously wanted the press there. I think Amal and her bosses are doing the job they were asked to do. I think that George doing MM know of the marbles well before he met Amal.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 16 Oct 2014, 13:13

Just so you know, Catherine Mayer chose not to take her husband's name.......he's Andy Gill from Gang of Four........

Annemarie, remember that His Nibs was dating Amal at the time of the press conference? She was at the London premiere wasn't she?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 16 Oct 2014, 13:26

I don't think George ever heard of the Elgin marbles befor Amal.  Not the kind of thing he has ever been interested in to my knowledge.  The Time piece indicates he did not even get the right monument (although he might have mispoken rather than not known).

Last edited by fava on Thu 16 Oct 2014, 13:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ADDED)

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 16 Oct 2014, 13:35

Silje wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

very interesting and I agree that society/ media is often skewed against high achieving females.  You can see this in how female politicians are still treated.  It is a bit sad that her achievements will now always be associated with George Clooney in a lot of minds.  But I guess that is the choice she made--and it is exacerbated by her looks and fashion choices.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next