George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles

+30
silly willy
Biset
MeganMorris
Picachu
isogotit
bgarabedian
Way2Old4Dis
Katiedot
Sevens
iamnoone
Rainy
sparkie
globalchick
kat19
Cece42
Joanna
Jenn
What Would He Say
cupcake
LornaDoone
/
Doug Ross
LizzyNY
fava
ldg
Nicky80
annemarie
lelacorb
Atalante
melbert
34 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 Empty Re: Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles

Post by Nicky80 Mon 13 Oct 2014, 19:38

Doug Ross wrote:It's just now, soon she won't get all this attention for her work, at least I hope that for her.

Speaking about MM Berlin press conference, where I can see it?

Here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles - Page 2 Empty Re: Amal Alamuddin in Greece for talks about the Elgin marbles

Post by annemarie Mon 13 Oct 2014, 19:41

This is a big event so the press attention is necessary for the government I suppose.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 13 Oct 2014, 19:44

Here she is - a People article - arriving with Geoffrey Robertson........and she's Clooney

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Mon 13 Oct 2014, 19:46

Thanks again Jenn. This is how she should dress. She looks good in pants. Personally I thought she looked her best in the white pants she wore for the Monday legal cermony in Venice.
Silje
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 13 Oct 2014, 19:49

And the Guardian

Parthenon marbles meet Hollywood as Amal Alamuddin Clooney advises Greece

Just months after George Clooney supported Greece’s claim to monuments, his wife enters west’s longest cultural row

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Amal Alamuddin Clooney (left) and Geoffrey Robertson arrive in Athens as part of a team advising the government on the return of the Parthenon marbles from Britain. Photograph: Louisa Gouliamaki/AFP/Getty Images
The human rights barrister Amal Alamuddin Clooney flew into Athens on Monday amid hopes that, as she begins advising the government on its bid to reclaim the Parthenon marbles, it will be with the full force of Hollywood behind her.

The Anglo-Lebanese lawyer wades into the west’s longest running cultural row at noon on Tuesday when she meets the Greek culture minister, Kostas Tasoulas, for talks in his sixth-floor office.

There, with the two QCs Geoffrey Robertson and Norman Palmer, both experts in cultural restitution, she will discuss how Greece can best pursue its claim to win back the treasures, widely seen as the high point of classical art, from the British Museum.

In the ever-bitter battle of nerves that the heritage dispute has become, the meeting, for many, is already a coup.

“We need all the friends we can get,” Tasoulas, a British-trained lawyer himself, told the Guardian ahead of the talks.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Sections of the Parthenon marbles in London’s British Museum. Photograph: Matthew Fearn/PA Archive/PA Photos
“After all, this is a unique monument of universal significance that can only be understood and admired if it is complete. Mutilated it cannot tell the whole story,” he said of the carvings that were carted off to Britain more than 200 years ago after Thomas Bruce, the seventh Earl of Elgin, removed them from the frieze that once adorned the Parthenon.

For Greeks, the 36-year-old Alamuddin is a valuable advocate of the argument that Phidias’s masterpieces would be better off under the Attic skies, in the place where they were originally carved in the fifth century BC. Although the most junior of the London-based lawyers who will sit around the long table assigned for such meetings in the minister’s office, she brings glamour that the Greek government could only have dreamed of when her firm, Doughty Chambers, first took up the case in 2011.

This week’s talks, both with Tasoulas and prime minister Antonis Samaras on Wednesday, were meant to have taken place in early September but were postponed when it was unexpectedly announced that Alamuddin and George Clooney, the world’s most sought after bachelor, were to be married.

Barely three weeks after the couple exchanged vows in Venice, Greek officials are determined not to waste the opportunity. “We will of course be discussing all our legal options but what we really want is to keep the issue alive,” one well-placed policy maker confided. “There would be no better way of doing that than getting Hollywood involved and, hopefully, Clooney too.”
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Visitors to Athens’ Acropolis Museum look at the view to the ancient Temple of Parthenon. Photograph: Petros Giannakouris/AP
In many ways the American actor has already obliged. Earlier this year, as he and co-stars addressed the media to promote the film The Monuments Men – which tells the story of how a team of allied men and women helped recover priceless artworks stolen by the Nazis – Clooney took the audience by surprise when he said the sculptures belonged to Athens.

“I think you have a very good case to make about your artefacts,” he said when asked about the antiquities by a Greek reporter. “Returning them [would be] a very fair and very nice thing … the right thing to do.”

Even now, nearly 40 years after the issue of repatriation was first raised by the late actor Melina Mercouri, the Greeks still speak of a “win-win” situation where the dispute is settled amicably.

The construction of a splendid museum at the foot of the Acropolis, purpose built to house the antiquities within view of the masterpiece that epitomises the Periclean age, was meant to be a debate shifter, more eloquent than any number of legal arguments.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Matt Damon (left) and George Clooney in The Monuments Men, which tells the story of how a team of allied men and women helped recover priceless artworks stolen by the Nazis. Photograph: Claudette Barius/AP
For decades, British officials had argued that Athens had nowhere decent enough to exhibit the monuments.

When that failed and the goalposts were perceived to have been moved again – with British Museum trustees saying exhibiting the marbles in London “allows different complementary stories to be told about them” – Greece resorted to diplomatic channels.

In July 2013, it called on Unesco, the United Nations’ cultural organisation, to intervene, urging David Cameron’s government to participate in “a mediation procedure” in a bid to resolve the row. Fifteen months later, Greek officials say they have yet to receive an answer to their request.

“All we have asked is that they talk about this, but they have not had the decency to reply,” said Elena Korka, a senior official at the culture ministry. “This is a non-binding process so at the very least the British stance would seem to show fear.”

Earlier this month, at its meeting of committee members in Paris, Unesco berated Britain for failing to respond to Greece and recommended that the two countries meet to discuss a “mutually acceptable solution”.

It is in this context that Samaras, a former culture minister, has pursued the legal route. Talks this week will focus on what court, if any, Greece could initiate a case in the future.

“In politics all over the world the word never does not exist,” said the culture minister. “We are open to everything, all forms of cooperation.”

In the past Athens has offered all manner of cultural gems in exchange for the marbles. And bolstered by successive polls that have shown the vast majority of Britons to be in favour of repatriation it has put aside the issue of ownership, instead proposing joint curatorship of the sculptures through the establishment of a branch of the British Museum in Athens.

“There are no legal grounds for the return of the marbles,” averred Harry Tzalas, a historian who first advised Melina Mercouri on the issue. “And anyway this is not the right time for Greece to start a legal procedure when the country is in such difficult straits financially and socially,” he told the Guardian. “Alamuddin and Clooney are using this row for their own public relations purposes. Our best line of defence would be to concentrate on the British public which seems to want the marbles back in Greece.”

Last edited by Nicky80 on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 20:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text and pics)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 13 Oct 2014, 20:17

Doug Ross wrote:It's just now, soon she won't get all this attention for her work, at least I hope that for her.
But we must say that this attention could have his positive aspects. There will be more "light" on her cases, and some of them are really important: Ukraine, Assange, this. 
The marbles case it's been discussing a lot recently..

Speaking about MM Berlin press conference, where I can see it?

Have a look in "Films" Doug Ross........then Monuments Men. Everything to do with
the film should be there.....Good Luck.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 13 Oct 2014, 20:22

The MM press conference is not in the Film section it is in the News section Wink  (sorry to be so German hehe)
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 13 Oct 2014, 20:26

Some more pics

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 13 Oct 2014, 20:34

Nicky80 wrote:The MM press conference is not in the Film section it is in the News section Wink  (sorry to be so German hehe)

Well....."I'll go to the foot of our stairs !!!"

British expression of frustration. lol!

And No....I don't know what it means either !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Mon 13 Oct 2014, 20:37

I'll se there, then. Thanks to all of you Very Happy Very Happy

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Mon 13 Oct 2014, 20:46

Amal Alamuddin: 'I am honoured to have been invited'
"I am honoured to have been invited by the Greek government and that we will have those meetings. Thank you for the warm welcome," a smiling Amal Alamuddin told reporters outside Athens' Grande Bretagne Hotel. 
Alamuddin was flanked by lawyers Geoffrey Robertson, her boss, and Norman Palmer, both experts in cultural restitution. alamuddin is very much the junior lawyer in this case, but, as the wife of actor George Clooney, has the star pull.
Link : http://en.enikos.gr/society/17061,PHOTOS_-_Amal_Alamuddin:_I_am_honoured_.html
Jenn
Jenn
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 13 Oct 2014, 21:08

She is Mrs. Amal Clooney,  she took George's name after the wedding.

Last edited by annemarie on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 21:10; edited 1 time in total

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 13 Oct 2014, 21:10

Page Six on that subject....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Mon 13 Oct 2014, 23:07

Do we have mailonline? They got better pics, finally get to see the shoes and a video with a tiny interview with Amal.

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 02:18

OH MY She sure does love the cameras and all the attention, and how many times does she have to flash her wedding band, like she is trying to prove to everyone, see I'm really married.

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 03:04

Cece42 wrote:OH MY She sure does love the cameras and all the attention, and how many times does she have to flash her wedding band, like she is trying to prove to everyone, see I'm really married.
OH please. Give me a fricken break. RME

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by globalchick Tue 14 Oct 2014, 05:21

Cece42 wrote:OH MY She sure does love the cameras and all the attention, and how many times does she have to flash her wedding band, like she is trying to prove to everyone, see I'm really married.
She is loving the attention. And she seems to be following comments in the social media as many people attacked the idea of a "human rights lawyer" wearing a $700,000 engagement ring on the job. She's not wearing it any more when she's working I see. It's sad that she is wasting time on this silly marble case when there are so many human rights abuses in this world but I guess it's nice and safe. Some of her previous clients were very unsavoury individuals. She will have to drop all those types now as it would not be good for George's image.

I do think she is being advised by George and Stan on what do, cases to take etc how to conduct herself. She is being shaped and controlled by George and Stan now I think. I think she's loving it as she gets the money and the attention and her ego loves that she's married to a movie star, travelling in private jets etc but in some ways it's a bit sad. Many celebrities have spoken of serious problems adjusting to this level of fame. And she seems to be being left to her own devices. I wonder how she will cope.

Last edited by globalchick on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 05:26; edited 1 time in total

globalchick
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by globalchick Tue 14 Oct 2014, 05:24

kat19 wrote:
Please don't attack other posters. Just because you don't agree there is no need to get nasty. That's her point of view. It's different from yours but it's valid nonetheless.

globalchick
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cece42 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 05:51

globalchick wrote:
kat19 wrote:
Please don't attack other posters. Just because you don't agree there is no need to get nasty. That's her point of view. It's different from yours but it's valid nonetheless.
Thanks globalchick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by / Tue 14 Oct 2014, 08:23

I think she's just interested in art and cultural heritage law. She probably still has other cases pending that have to do with human rights and international criminal law because these cases can take years. If she wants to specialise in other fields, then let her. I think it's the press that makes such a big deal out of it. If they weren't there, then this would go pretty much unnoticed. And she has been involved in this case since the beginning, before she was with George.

/

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Tue 14 Oct 2014, 08:33

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Tue 14 Oct 2014, 08:40

I love to read the Daily Mail comments on the Elgin marbles. Who ever knew that a bunch of old marbles would get people so upset.

Smile

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 09:20

globalchick wrote:
kat19 wrote:

Are you a moderator on this board? I'd like to genuinely know. What I said did not attack the poster. I didn't call her any names or anything like that. Yes I admit it was dismissive of what she posted because I found her observations on this matter tiresome, but at no point did I "attack" her or get "nasty". I expressed my frustration with the post and that was it. 

What I said may have been impolite I admit, but in no way was it an "attack". So unless you are a moderator, I'd ask you to refrain from policing other posters. You are free to report me to the moderator if you have a problem with something I post and I can discuss it with the mod further if necessary.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Oct 2014, 09:41

Oh dear.

You know, I think Mrs Clooney is completely bemused by the whole thing. Hordes of press, and she gives a perfectly polite statement to them as she's beseiged.

She will be used to something vaguely like this after cases such as Assange's in the High Court, and she speaks publicly in her job. The Greek government must be delighted with the degree of publicity for their case.. All she's doing is looking at the legal ramifications of the case and to honest, her training must help her with all this crazy stuff going on around her.

Good job she had Geoffrey Robertson, QC and other eminent people there to support her. She will have had to work hard, just as in other cases, to know everything there is to know about the history and implications of this case.

And when she first started working on it in 2011, little did she think that this is how it would be!!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkie Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:15

So the great Human Rights Lawyer will open her mouth about 'Marbles' but when it comes to the atrocities happening in the Middle East nothing, yep this says it all. What a sad excuse of an humanitarian she is.
sparkie
sparkie
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 14 Oct 2014, 11:39

She is there to do a job she was polite that is all. As for her loving the attention the others with her smiled as well. She uses her hands her ring will show what should she do take it off. Her job is lawyer She does not have to nor should she speak on atrocities in the world.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkie Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:30

annemarie wrote:She is there to do a job she was polite that is all. As for her loving the attention the others with her smiled as well. She uses her hands her ring will show what should she do take it off. Her job is lawyer She does not have to nor should she speak on atrocities in the world.
No..... but she will defend them when the time comes  Rolling Eyes
sparkie
sparkie
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:39

New pix on Getty Images of the delegation going to meetings this morning.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:58

Can't find any new pics on Getty Pan.

But I found this in a Swedish paper. Nice dress.She has really dressed nicely in Greece so far.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 21:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pics)
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Tue 14 Oct 2014, 14:03

Now I can see the Getty pics PAN. Strange that I couldn't see them when you could?

I think the2 pics in the Swedish paper from today, are not Getty.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 14 Oct 2014, 14:25

globalchick wrote:
A.She is loving the attention. And she seems to be following comments in the social media as many people attacked the idea of a "human rights lawyer" wearing a $700,000 engagement ring on the job. She's not wearing it any more when she's working I see.

B.It's sad that she is wasting time on this silly marble case when there are so many human rights abuses in this world but I guess it's nice and safe. Some of her previous clients were very unsavoury individuals. She will have to drop all those types now as it would not be good for George's image.

C.I do think she is being advised by George and Stan on what do, cases to take etc how to conduct herself. She is being shaped and controlled by George and Stan now I think. And she seems to be being left to her own devices. I wonder how she will cope.
A. I think wearing a $700,000 ring while traveling for a week would be a major security concern. It's much safer to leave it home.

B. "Wasting time on this silly marble case" is really dismissive of an issue that has great cultural importance to the people of Greece. It isn't silly to them, and being involved in this case since 2011 hasn't kept Amal from representing anyone. If she does drop her "unsavory" clients it might be because she no longer needs the money those cases bring. George seems to be taking care of her very well.

C. You can't have it both ways. Either George and Stan are controlling her or she's being left to her own devices. Personally,  think they probably discuss her work and then she does whatever she wants. I think she'll cope very well.

PS - I don't think she's showing off her ring. I think she's trying to keep all that hair out of her face.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Oct 2014, 14:43

Mailonline on the Athens meeting

Back to the day job: Newlywed Amal Clooney leaves Athens hotel ahead of meeting to advise Greece on how to get Britain to return the Elgin Marbles 

Lawyer Amal Clooney left her hotel in Athens, Greece, on Tuesday ahead of a meeting with Greece's Minister of Culture and Sports, Konstantinos Tasoulas.
Fresh from her wedding to Hollywood heart-throb George Clooney last month, Amal arrived in Athens to advise the government on how to convince Britain to return the Elgin Marbles. 
The famous classical Greek marble structures are currently housed in London's British Museum. 
Scroll down for video

+38

Back to business: Amal Clooney leaves her Athens hotel in Greece ahead of her meeting in which she will advise Greece on how to get Britain to return the Elgin Marbles 

+38

Hard at work: The wife of George Clooney will meet with Greece's Minister of Culture and Sports, Konstantinos Tasoulas

Flanked by a small team, Clooney, 36, carried a lever arch file of paperwork with her and appeared to be in high spirits as she left the venue, walking past a crowd of journalists and passers by.
She cut a smart figure in a white midi dress which had a green detail at the front, as well as the hem and the sleeves. 
Amal recently returned from her honeymoon in Marrakech with the Hollywood actor and jetted out to Greece on Monday in her role as advisor. 

+38

Ready for action: The 36-year-old was flanked by her team as she made her way out of the venue 

+38

Make way: Amal appeared to be in high spirits during the day

+38

Special: The famous classical Greek marble structures are currently housed in London's British Museum

+38

Busy: The human rights lawyer was met by a crowd of fans and journalists as she made her way outside 

+38

All go: The brunette arrived in the country the day before , after her recent honeymoon came to an end
Dressed in a simple white cardigan and khaki trousers, the new Mrs Clooney was spotted chatting happily to British Airways staff at the check-in gates at London's Heathrow airport. 
She later landed in Athens to a flurry of media attention.

Amal and her boss, Geoffrey Robertson QC, of London’s Doughty Street chambers, will hold a series of meetings with government officials during their stay, relating to the return of the Parthenon sculptures. 

+38

Finishing touches: The new bride added some glamour to her style with classy diamond earrings

+38

+38

Back to it: Amal appeared to be happy and relaxed as she settled back into her day job

+38

All change: She recently changed her name to Amal Clooney following her wedding - for work purposes 

+38

Star-studded: The wedding was attended by A-list stars including Matt Damon, Emily Blunt and Cindy Crawford

+38

Historical: The 7th Earl of Elgin, Thomas Bruce, removed the Parthenon Marble sculptures from the Acropolis in Athens while serving as the British ambassador to the Ottoman Empire from 1799 to 1803

+38

Precious: The relics, known as the Elgin Marbles, are sculptures mostly by Phidias and his assistants

+38

Walking tall: She cut a smart figure in a white midi dress which had a green detail at the front, as well as the hem and the sleeves

+38

Stunner: Amal wore her luscious glossy locks in loose and natural waves 

+38

Newlywed: The outing comes two weeks after Mrs Clooney married actor George Clooney in a lavish wedding in Venice, Italy, on September 27, which reportedly cost around £8million
It comes two weeks after Mrs Clooney married actor George Clooney in a lavish wedding in Venice, Italy, on September 27, which reportedly cost around £8million.
Since the ceremony, the human rights laywer has changed her professional name to Amal Clooney - losing her maiden name - according to a listing on the website of Doughty Street chambers.
It reads: 'Amal Clooney is a barrister specialising in international law, extradition and criminal law.' 

+38

Amal Clooney is a barrister specialising in international law, extradition and criminal law

+38

Relaxed: She was pictured laughing as she arrived at the office of Kostas Tasoulas 

+38

Time to begin: The lawyer soon settled into work as she read through her files with the rest of the team

+38

+38

Mrs Clooney wore diamond drop earrings with a pave detail that matches her new wedding ring
Mrs Clooney's choice of the Greece trip as her first official duty after her honeymoon was perhaps a wedding present to her husband who, earlier this year, waded into the centuries-old dispute over the Elgin Marbles, favouring the Greek side.
The 7th Earl of Elgin, Thomas Bruce, removed the Parthenon Marble sculptures from the Acropolis in Athens while serving as the British ambassador to the Ottoman Empire from 1799 to 1803.
The relics, known as the Elgin Marbles, are sculptures mostly by Phidias and his assistants. 

+38

Grand entrance: Mrs Clooney was seen stepping out of her vehicle and towards the hotel after arriving in Greece earlier on

+38

Elgin Marbles discussions: The new Mrs Clooney (left), and her boss, Geoffrey Robertson QC (right), of London’s Doughty Street chambers, will hold a series of meetings with government officials during their stay

+38

Centre of attention: It comes two weeks after the 36-year-old married George Clooney in a lavish wedding in Venice, Italy, on September 27, which reportedly cost around £8million

+38

Recently married: Fluent in French and Arabic, Lebanese-born Mrs Clooney is a barrister specialising in international law, human rights, extradition and criminal law
In 1801, the Earl claimed to have obtained a permit from the Ottoman authorities to remove pieces from the Parthenon and his agents removed half of the surviving sculptures, as well as architectural members and sculpture from the Propylaea and Erechtheum.
They were shipped to Britain, but in Greece, the Scots aristocrat was accused of looting. They were bought by the British Government and are still on display in the British Museum.
Greece has sought their return from the British Museum through the years, to no avail.

+38

Statement: Mrs Clooney has represented clients in cases before the International Criminal Court, the International Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights, as well as in domestic courts in the UK

+38

Press attention: The human rights lawyer attracted a lot of attention from the media as she landed 
In February, while attending the Berlin Film Festival to promote The Monuments Men, Mr Clooney was asked by a Greek journalist whether Britain should allow Greece to reclaim its historic art. 
He replied: ‘You have a very good case. Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad thing if they were returned. That is a good idea, a fair thing to do.’
The Hollywood star’s involvement in the debate was not entirely welcomed. 

+38

Saying hello: Mrs Clooney, fresh from her marriage to film star George Clooney last month, arrives in Athens
John Whittingdale, chairman of the Commons culture, media and sport committee, said: ‘I suspect George Clooney doesn’t know the history of the Elgin Marbles and the legal entitlement Britain has to them.’

And a British Museum spokesman said at the time that trustees ‘feel there is a public benefit to having the sculptures in our collection remain part of our collection’.
Greece says it is no longer an issue of ownership and that it would accept them back as a permanent loan, but the museum said the Greek government would first have to relinquish its claim to them.
The day before, Amal was pictured waiting to board a plane at Heathrow Airport in London, opting for a simpler look as she got ready to return to work.

+38

Approach: Mrs Clooney can be seen in a back seat of the Mercedes-Benz vehicle driving her to the Athens hotel
Amal, who attracted the attention of passengers at the airport, caught a three and a half hour flight to Athens to advise the Greek government about the scupltures.
Doughty Street confirmed Mrs Clooney had travelled to Athens, where she will remain until Thursday, at the invitation of the Greek government ‘in connection with the Parthenon sculptures that are presently on display in the British museum’.
A statement said: ‘Mr Robertson and Mrs Clooney were first asked to provide legal advice to the Greek government on this matter in 2011.

+38

Arrivial: The newlywed human rights lawyer is pictured arriving at Hotel Grande Bretagne in Athens

+38

+38

A helping hand: The lawyer is helped out of her car by David Hill, who works as the Chairman of the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures

‘They will be holding a series of meetings with government officials during their stay, including the Prime Minister, Mr Antonis Samaras, and the Minister of Culture, Mr Konstantinos Tasoulas.’
Fluent in French and Arabic, Lebanese-born Mrs Clooney is a barrister specialising in international law, human rights, extradition and criminal law.
She has represented clients in cases before the International Criminal Court, the International Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights, as well as in domestic courts in the UK and US. 

She wed her Academy Award-winning beau last month in a romantic ceremony in Venice.

+38

Culture: Elgin Marbles at the British Museum. The relics are sculptures mostly by Phidias and his assistants

More than 100 guests - including Hollywood stars Matt Damon and Sandra Bullock - flew to Venice to see her get married in a stunning custom-made Oscar de la Renta dress. 
They began arriving by chauffeur-driven taxi boats for the nuptials shortly before 6.30pm on the day, with Damon the first to arrive. 
Wave after wave of guests were ferried to the waterfront entrance of the exclusive hotel over a period of 20 mins, which culminated in Mr Clooney's arrival just before 7pm as the sun was setting

+38

History: It was the 7th Earl of Elgin, Thomas Bruce, who removed the Parthenon Marble sculptures from the Acropolis in Athens while serving as the British ambassador to the Ottoman Empire from 1799 to 1803 

Last edited by Nicky80 on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 21:26; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added text, pics and video)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainy Tue 14 Oct 2014, 16:05

LizzyNY wrote:
globalchick wrote:
A.She is loving the attention. And she seems to be following comments in the social media as many people attacked the idea of a "human rights lawyer" wearing a $700,000 engagement ring on the job. She's not wearing it any more when she's working I see.

B.It's sad that she is wasting time on this silly marble case when there are so many human rights abuses in this world but I guess it's nice and safe. Some of her previous clients were very unsavoury individuals. She will have to drop all those types now as it would not be good for George's image.

C.I do think she is being advised by George and Stan on what do, cases to take etc how to conduct herself. She is being shaped and controlled by George and Stan now I think. And she seems to be being left to her own devices. I wonder how she will cope.
A. I think wearing a $700,000 ring while traveling for a week would be a major security concern. It's much safer to leave it home.

B. "Wasting time on this silly marble case" is really dismissive of an issue that has great cultural importance to the people of Greece. It isn't silly to them, and being involved in this case since 2011 hasn't kept Amal from representing anyone. If she does drop her "unsavory" clients it might be because she no longer needs the money those cases bring. George seems to be taking care of her very well.

C. You can't have it both ways. Either George and Stan are controlling her or she's being left to her own devices. Personally,  think they probably discuss her work and then she does whatever she wants. I think she'll cope very well.

PS - I don't think she's showing off her ring. I think she's trying to keep all that hair out of her face.

She is wearing her engagement ring on her right hand. You can see it from the pictures of article below: 

Rainy
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 14 Oct 2014, 18:06

She has worn her engagement ring since she received it.  She is wearing the ring on her right hand. I think Amal has handled her career up until now I don't think George has any say in what she does.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 14 Oct 2014, 20:55

party animal - not! wrote:Oh dear.

You know, I think Mrs Clooney is completely bemused by the whole thing. Hordes of press, and she gives a perfectly polite statement to them as she's beseiged.

She will be used to something vaguely like this after cases such as Assange's in the High Court, and she speaks publicly in her job. The Greek government must be delighted with the degree of publicity for their case.. All she's doing is looking at the legal ramifications of the case and to honest, her training must help her with all this crazy stuff going on around her.

Good job she had Geoffrey Robertson, QC and other eminent people there to support her. She will have had to work hard, just as in other cases, to know everything there is to know about the history and implications of this case.

And when she first started working on it in 2011, little did she think that this is how it would be!!

Yes indeed pan, I agree with what you say.

As for.....
"And when she first started working on it in 2011, little did she think that this is how it would be!!"...... I think there's a lesson there for us all.
Who knows what's in store for us in the future. flower
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Oct 2014, 21:51

Great article in the Guardian if you want to learn more about marbles........

Amal Clooney advises Greece on return of Parthenon marbles to Athens

Human rights lawyer hopes for an amicable solution, but Britain has so far failed to respond to calls for mediation
Amal Clooney, the human rights lawyer, has said it is only prudent that Greece seeks legal advice in its attempt to reclaim the Parthenon marbles from the British Museum, but hopes an amicable solution can be found to the decades-long dispute.
Speaking exclusively to the Guardian, the Oxford-educated lawyer, who recently shot to fame when she married George Clooney, said repatriating the classical masterpieces to their original home would only be fair.
“In my view returning the Parthenon Marbles to Greece is the just thing to do,” said the 36-year-old on the first day of a three-day visit to Athens in which she held talks with the Greek culture minister to discuss the country’s legal options. “I hope that an amicable solution to this issue can be found, given the longstanding friendship between Greece and the UK,” she said, adding that she and her colleagues, Geoffrey Robertson and Norman Palmer, QCs and specialists in cultural restitution, had initially been approached by the Greek authorities three years ago.
“But I believe it is prudent for the Greek government to seek legal advice – including in relation to ongoing efforts to engage UNESCO – and of course it is for them to determine their next steps in light of this legal context.”

Clooney, 36, who was making her first professional foray since her wedding in Venice three weeks ago, will meet prime minister Antonis Samaras, a fervent advocate of the marbles’ return, on Wednesday.
The Greek leader is thought to have instructed the high-powered team to come to Greece after all other channels – both political and diplomatic – were felt to have been exhausted. Since July 2013, Britain has failed to respond to an appeal by Samaras’ administration for the dispute to be mediated by UNESCO, the United Nation’s cultural arm.
For nearly 40 years Athens has argued that the sculptures – part of a giant frieze depicting the Panathenaic procession, which adorned the Parthenon until their removal by Lord Elgin, England’s ambassador to the Ottoman Empire – should be “reunited” with surviving pieces in Athens in the name of respect for a monument of universal importance.
In a foretaste of the arguments Greece could deploy if the property row were ever to reach the courts, Geoffrey Robertson insisted that the marbles posed a unique case and, as such, would not endanger the British Museum’s collections.
“The Parthenon friezes are an amazing and unique snapshot of human civilisation 2,500 years ago. They show not war but happy, well-liquored discourse between the first truly civilised peoples. Half of this snapshot is in Athens beneath the blue sky above the Acropolis. The other half is in a sterilised gallery as if on a hospital bed in a museum,” he told the Guardian.
Robertson, who enlisted Clooney to work on a team now handling the portfolio at the London-based legal firm Doughty Chambers, described the British Museum’s steadfast refusal to return the carvings as “arrogant cultural vandalism”.
Even worse, he said, the British institution had committed the cardinal sin of damaging the sculptures by employing controversial means to clean them in the nearly 200 years since it had acquired the stones.
“It is a great project, not for Greece but for the world, to reunite the marbles so we can see them clearly where Phidias first carved them, to juxtapose the beginning of human civilisation with the threat to it posed today by Isis,” added the barrister, referring to the barbaric tactics employed by Islamist terrorists to the east of Greece.
“It is arrogant cultural vandalism for the British Museum to insist that this most important relic of our culture should be broken in two. International law has developed to the stage where a unique, and I stress unique, cultural artefact should be repaired.”
Robertson, who with Palmer helped secure the return of Aborigine remains to Australia from London’s Natural History Museum, denied that the repatriation of the artworks would open the floodgates to similar claims. “This case will not set a precedent, the British Museum can keep its mummies but not marbles that, united, belong to the world.”

Last edited by Nicky80 on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 21:54; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 14 Oct 2014, 22:35

I've been meaning to ask what does QC mean after a lawyer's name?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Oct 2014, 22:40

It means Queens Counsel, or taking silk, and is the highest form of advocacy or lawyer in the Uk, with accessto all the high courts in the land

Here's the wikipedia definition@

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 14 Oct 2014, 22:48

Thanks PAN. Obviously I'm not a Brit.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Oct 2014, 22:54

This will bring a chuckle i think - possibly even they may be lost for words!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Oct 2014, 01:52

The Telegraph telling it like it is:

No trivialising of the fact here!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by iamnoone Wed 15 Oct 2014, 02:06

absolutely LOVE that white dress with the green blocks (trim....whatever)  and really really admire her for returning to work 2 weeks after a wedding like that.  WORK ETHIC!!

iamnoone
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 02:58

I thought Amal looked lovely today but more importantly from the pics I've seen she seems to have handled herself so well despite the deluge of media/photographers trying to capture every movement she made. I know she has been in the public eye before, especially with the Assange case, but what she experienced today was most likely beyond anything she has experienced before. Of course she had a nice dry run with her Venice wedding. She seemed gracious and warm. Despite her warm smiles I don't for a minute think she was lapping up the attention, smiling just for the camera and thinking to herself that "it's all about me". Some on this site inevitably will say as much.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Wed 15 Oct 2014, 04:50

I read the two article's you posted PAN, Guardian and Telegraph, and QC Robertson sure use big words and bringing ISIS into the discussion is simply tacky. But it seems questionable that they can win the case legally. So they have to convince the Brits that they are morally obliged to give the marbles back. Haven't worked so far  but I guess they are hoping that all this media attention will do the trick.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Wed 15 Oct 2014, 05:15

Well one thing her marriage and name change will do for her - any case she's on will get high profile media coverage - which depending on the type of case is priceless and will probably mean she'll be getting additional cases on which to consult.

Often a case CAN be swayed by public opinion and this marble case is probably getting a lot more attention now that she's on the team as Mrs. Clooney.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Wed 15 Oct 2014, 05:29

Agreed Lorna.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 15 Oct 2014, 09:31

She was all for the Palestinian case, wasn't she and what did she drop ? Right, ... the Palestinian case cause G.C. and Stan Rosenfield told her to drop it. The whole Jewish lobby that runs Hollywood AND America wouldn't love seeing that happen. She fell for G.C.'s money. Duh. She could have been a face for the Palestinian children, but no, ... . Stones are in the news now. Some humanitarian. Let's hope the ICC picks up speed.  Cool LINK
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 15 Oct 2014, 10:45

Mrs #Amal #Clooney's Thank You note to restaurant staff in #Piraeus, #Greece

Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 15 Oct 2014, 10:57

Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Oct 2014, 11:40

I do not believe for one minute Amal will allow George to pick and choose the cases she takes. I also don't think George would ever try to tell her what to do. If what the Jews in Hollywood thought was so important to George I don't think he would have married Amal in the first place. As for all the press attention, she and her bosses have appeared polite and professional. I think she is there to do a  job and could care less about the press.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next