George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 22:11 by Ida

»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney's house in England

+34
What Would He Say
Pagan Cat Lady
Jenn
carolhathaway
Alisonfan
Joanna
annemarie
Donnamarie
melbert
Nicky80
Katiedot
party animal - not!
Silje
it's me
Way2Old4Dis
PigPen
Merlin
jd68
The next mrs clooney
fava
LornaDoone
louisvillelaura
globalchick
justpassinthrough
Maggy
Doug Ross
amaretti
Cece42
hathaross
Missa
LizzyNY
Sevens
Picachu
/
38 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 Empty Re: George Clooney's house in England

Post by party animal - not! Sat 11 Oct 2014, 22:08

oops

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney's house in England - Page 3 Empty Re: George Clooney's house in England

Post by Donnamarie Sat 11 Oct 2014, 22:12

Amal has a pretty definitive style of dressing. I think she will have a lot to say about how she wants to decorate their home. Of all the homes George owns this will be the one that will most likely reflect Amal's taste. Of course with some George thrown in . I don't think he would have strong views on decorating the home. I remember when George had Rande redecorate his LA home. He pretty much gave Rande's people the freedom to do what they wanted.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 11 Oct 2014, 22:28

I think Amal will decorate George could probably care less. I actually like the decor not overly formal to me. There are leather sofas and a sofa with a cover that can be removed to be washed. With the dog and people I think that will be handy.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Sun 12 Oct 2014, 07:29

Here is another article on the house. It has a few pics we don't have already, the hallway and blueprints.

Last edited by Silje on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 07:38; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling +adding link)
Silje
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 12 Oct 2014, 10:25

Land could be flooded? Last year was pretty horrendous in the UK. Great pix

George Clooney faced with £50,000 bill for flood defences due to "serious risk" at luxury British home

Oh dear, it looks like the actor and his new wife have come home from Italy to face a bit of a drama at their marital home in Berkshire

George Clooney and new wife Amal may have just had the wedding of their dreams - but they're now suffering a headache over their marital home.
The actor, who married the British lawyer in a lavish ceremony in Italy last month, bought Grade II-listed Aberlash Manor in Sonning, Berkshire, unaware he would have to spend about £50,000 on flood defences because it's so close to the Thames.
George, 53, gave the £5 million luxury pile to his bride, 36, as a wedding gift and in return she bought him two Cocker Spaniels. It's the effort that counts, obviously.
According to The Sun on Sunday newspaper, a source said, "George and Amal were caught seemingly unaware" of the danger and flood experts have had to be called in.

Vagner Vidal/INS News Agency Ltd [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George Clooney's new £5million mansion   
They planned a pumping system and put out emergency sandbags after it was deemed a "serious risk" with the water rising over a metre above sea level.
George and Amal, who looked stunning in their official wedding photos, will spend their time between the expensive home and the Oscar-winning star's property in Lake Como, Italy.
Talking about Amal's present to George, a source told Us Weekly magazine: "Amal bought George two three-month-old cocker spaniels for George as a wedding gift, and they were waiting for them at the house.

One of them is really frisky and has to be kept on a leash. George loves them both!"
Meanwhile, the actor also was spotted earlier this week leaving a New York hotel as he headed back to work shortly after his four-day wedding extravaganza.
No doubt he was rushing to get back to his perfect life with Amal and the pooches. Sigh.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 10:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 12 Oct 2014, 12:59

I don't believe the people that sold them the house didn't tell them about flood danger.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Sun 12 Oct 2014, 13:11

I don't believe that they didn't know that the Thames was a danger.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 12 Oct 2014, 13:39

How could you buy a house surrounded by water and not know there was a chance of flooding? They're smarter than that.

The last few years have seen a lot of waterfront homes in the US damaged or destroyed by flood waters. Many people are still struggling with rebuilding or relocation. It is an issue that is at the back of everyone's mind when purchasing property.

I'm sure it's something George considered, but maybe he thought the threat wasn't too great. I believe it was the owner of The Mill who said somewhere that the property floods, but the water doesn't reach the house. Could be that's what George was told, so he thought it wasn't really a problem.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 12 Oct 2014, 22:11

Ironic that he would have a home in England with potential flooding issues and a home in Cabo which may have been damaged by flooding. (Still not sure if he had damage there though - anybody heard anything about that?)

But if the issue is true, I doubt it came as a surprise and I'm sure if he did spend 5 million for a home that he's also prepared to spend the $50k he'll need to make it safe.

I wonder about the tax issue though. Seems to me George still wouldn't want to make England him full time home as it would kill him in taxes if what I've read is true about the tax structure there.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 12 Oct 2014, 22:47

I'd imagine that the flooding issue would have been taken care of in the searches done on the property by the purchaser's Solicitor.
If flood defences are being installed, then that wouldn't come as a surprise to the new owners ! And £50,000
is a small amount to pay considering the value of the property.

Then again, it was the Mirror reporting the story !! LOL
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 12 Oct 2014, 22:59

Sonning Eye is an island, and without doubt they'll know loads about flooding from last year's flooding. It will all have been sorted I should think. What may be more important is that the narrow road leading to the Eye has yet to be fixed and the traffic on the (temporary) one way system is chronic and has been for about eighteen months.

However the house is extremely well hidden. You really wouldn't know it was there........very Clooney

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 12 Oct 2014, 23:01

I think the flooding issue is something George is very aware of - or should be - since all his properties are waterfront except the one in Studio City. I'm just surprised the previous owner didn't handle the flood protection issue, considering all the other up-grades he made to the property.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 12 Oct 2014, 23:20

If some reports are to be believed, the property has been on the market for a while, and was owned by a city banker, but I can't believe it wouldn't have been sorted out last year, otherwise there would be untold damage to a listed building.....Interesting that there are two small properties nearby which are both under offer.

As for tax implications, we can only surmise about a man who now has three foreign properties (altho in Italy there are about four buildings involved). He's not going to regard it as a problem, and it's also possible that the UK house (and maybe all of them now) is owned jointly.                    .

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 12 Oct 2014, 23:22

And has there been past water damage to the home? Do they do inspections of homes in England prior to the house sale becoming final?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 12 Oct 2014, 23:45

PAN - I can't believe he'd be stupid enough to put ALL his properties in both their names at this early point in their relationship - I don't care how much he thinks he loves her. It's too soon to give her that much leverage in case of a divorce. His accountants would have a heart attack.

I can see the new house being in both their names, but not the other properties. Besides, didn't someone here say that his homes are owned by a trust of some sort?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 12 Oct 2014, 23:49

He did refer to the Como home as their home. He may have actually bought the London home for her. But I do wonder about Cabo and his LA home. And re his LA home do you think she has reservations about living there considering all the past relationships he's been through in that house? I think he really loves a his LA home. Lots of fond memories. I hope he doesn't sell it.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 12 Oct 2014, 23:57

Why would he, Donnamarie? There's no need. I thought that he and Grant Heslov had bought another house in the same area to use as their new offices.....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 13 Oct 2014, 00:36

He's always going to need a base in LA. It wouldn't make sense to sell his house. If she doesn't like it, she can redecorate. He probably wouldn't care if she did. After all, he let Rande decorate it for him, even though he told Charlie Rose that it wasn't really his taste.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 13 Oct 2014, 13:13

I don't think she has any problems with his homes they got engaged in the house in Los Angeles. And it was said that she loved spending quiet time there with George. I think they wanted a place in England that is private. Amal works there  and her family is there.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 13 Oct 2014, 14:00

Yea, you guys are probably right about George holding onto his LA home. PAN, I hadn't heard that George and Grant had bought a house in LA for their offices-you mean for Smokehouse Productions?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 13 Oct 2014, 18:31

Reference to the former owner, and more pix

Did Mr. and Mrs. George Clooney Buy This English Manor?

It looks like lawyer, activist, and author Amal Alamuddin and her actor husband George Clooney now own a 17th-century Georgian manor on a 5.5-acre private island in the English village of Sonning-on-Thames. Ever since the two were married at the end of September, rumors have been flying about a "luxurious, well decorated, and super-private" home they bought in Berkshire county over the summer. Now, the Real Estalker hears that they actually purchased their own hunk of rock in the river Thames, which was last listed at the equivalent of about $12M.
Take the tour. >>
"Island in the stream / That is where they are / No one in between / Clooney and his wife" is how a Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton duet modified to be about this piece of property gossip might go. The couple's rumored new home, the 8,948-square-foot, Grade II-listed Aberdash House, is no longer featured on UK property site Rightmove, but a cached listing shows a doric-columned 10-bedroom manor with a fully modernized interior.
According to an old Wall Street Journal piece about the property, it was purchased by a banker named Omar Bayoumi in the late '90s, who was drawn to it by "the romance and exclusivity of owning the largest residential island in the Thames," as well as "the beauty of the house and grounds." To augment that beauty, Bayoumi filled it with a bunch of high-tech rich person stuff, including a gym, a "spa complex," and an entertainment room outfitted with "invisible speakers and an iLight lighting system using John Cullen fittings." (Fun fact: There are also 14 CCTV cameras installed throughout the property.) In its previous state of decoration, a very large portrait of a cat was displayed in the living room.
Variety takes note of the sweet mahogany parquet floors on the inside and the stone terraces on the grounds. There's also a private boathouse and a "circular brick-built structure for yoga (or whatever)." Clooney's other homes include a gated compound in Los Angeles, another historic mansion on Italy's Lake Como, and a beachside villa in Los Cabos right next to Cindy Crawford's.

Last edited by Nicky80 on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 19:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text and pics)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Mon 13 Oct 2014, 18:33

Doesn't buying or selling property have to be announced publicly in the papers in the UK?
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 13 Oct 2014, 19:46

I wonder if they bought the house furnished.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by jd68 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 06:05

They need a large property for security purposes. If they had neighbors that could see them they would be photographed every time they walk out back. I'm sure they are going to redecorate in a style they both like - that huge cat picture has to go!!!
jd68
jd68
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:47

drones?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Tue 14 Oct 2014, 15:58

Silje wrote:Doesn't buying or selling property have to be announced publicly in the papers in the UK?  
Not that Im aware of.  It is registered in a public registry so anyone could technically take a look at it and find out how much they paid etc, but no announcements.
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 14 Oct 2014, 19:18

Silje wrote:Doesn't buying or selling property have to be announced publicly in the papers in the UK?  
Not as far as I know. Sometimes there's a public record (land registry or similar) about who owns the title deeds to what, but not always.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Tue 14 Oct 2014, 19:25

So how will we know for sure if they own the house?

Last edited by Silje on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 19:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 14 Oct 2014, 20:45

NY Daily News reported the other day that the title was registered to G&A at the Gloucester office. The house is theirs.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Tue 14 Oct 2014, 20:50

Okey Lizzy. Guess we have to thrust that info.

But earlier this year, I think it was, the papers said G bought a second house in Italy, in Toscany? But that wasn't true right?

Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 14 Oct 2014, 20:54

I don't think that was true, as we haven't heard anything about it since then. I do think they bought the house in England. It's been covered in all the media as a done deal.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 17 Oct 2014, 17:06

Any guesses where the couple is staying when they are in London together. Since they just bought a home there they wouldn't have been staying there after the honeymoon or now when Amal is back there working. Could they be staying with Baria temporarily? I know George is in Vancouver right now and has probably been in LA since NYCC.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Fri 17 Oct 2014, 17:13

Donnamarie wrote:Any guesses where the couple is staying when they are in London together.  Since they just bought a home there they wouldn't have been staying there after the honeymoon or now when Amal is back there working.  Could they be staying with Baria temporarily?  I know George is in Vancouver right now and has probably been in LA since NYCC.
Amal already has a place in London so they may have stayed there or a hotel or even a furnished rental.  When you have money theres no need to stay with the in-laws.
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 05 Nov 2014, 22:44

"George Clooney's moved 10 mins away from my house. Think the dog walks are guna be in Sonning from now on..."

Last edited by Nicky80 on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 19:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addwd text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 06 Nov 2014, 02:09

So from all the pictures of the property it doesn't look like there's a basketball court? George is going to need one. In fact I remember reading that Amal plays netball? Isn't that a Brit version of basketball? They definitely will need a court. I guess there's no pool either? Unless it's indoors.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Thu 06 Nov 2014, 06:25

They need a stable for their horses so they can go fox hunting and play horse polo and Amal need a horrible hat for the Ascots or whatever it is English aristocracy do. And if  Amal  want that OBE she better start doing some proper work. The marbles ain't gone do it.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 06 Nov 2014, 07:23

They are not English aristocracy because they bought a big house...they just have money.
Merlin
Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Thu 06 Nov 2014, 07:42

How very disappointing.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 06 Nov 2014, 16:55

Silje wrote:They need a stable for their horses so they can go fox hunting and play horse polo and Amal need a horrible hat for the Ascots or whatever it is English aristocracy do. And if  Amal  want that OBE she better start doing some proper work. The marbles ain't gone do it.

Not everyone lives in the UK like they do in
Downton Abbey. LOL
Thank goodness.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 06 Nov 2014, 18:58

Just wondering whose idea the house was in the first place. If she still has a place in London, wouldn't that be much more convenient for them? And if they're  going to continue to work how much time will they spend there anyway? Cabo for the holidays, Como for the summer, LA for his work (and everywhere else he goes to film and do ads) London and wherever for hers - seems to me that house is going to stand empty most of the time. What a waste.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 06 Nov 2014, 19:46

Lizzy, I think not long after their engagement, there was news that Himself was going to buy a house for them in the UK and to spend more time here to be close to her 

And it's not unusual to have a crashpad in London too if you have the money. Apart from anything else it's a brilliant investment!

It's been quoted I think that His Nibs is not a big fan of share, and prefers to buy property as an investment too, or land as he put it.

Think he owns a place in NYC and I'm betting Augusta too

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 06 Nov 2014, 20:12

PAN - All your points are totally logical. And, yes, he has said he prefers to own rather than rent/lease/share, whatever.

I don't think he owns here in NY. He seems to always stay at the Carlisle Hotel. It may be possible to buy an apartment there - I don't know. He might own something in Augusta - maybe even inherited - and he might inherit his parent's home someday - but he spends so little time there I would be surprised if he had actually bought a house there.

It just struck me that with their busy schedules they won't have much time to spend in Sonning. It's a shame that such a lovely home will probably stand empty  much of the time.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 06 Nov 2014, 21:07

I have a feeling, Lizzy, that he might own a place at the Carlyle. I believe it's possible and it would certainly make sense.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's work being done in Sonning to make it their own at the mo........Convinced that there must be wardrobes of clothes in every house, aren't you?!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Thu 06 Nov 2014, 21:15

They live in such a different world than I do...
Los Angeles - Cabo - (?) New York  -Italy - England   

Where do you call home?   I mean, yes, each property is a home/property for them.  But where is home ?   Probably projecting my values..sorry flower

And how do you keep track of your wardrobe.. "honey, where is my blue sports coat.. you know-the one I always wear when I drink tequila"

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 06 Nov 2014, 21:20

Well, for His Nibs this is like starting again isn't it? - and definitely something he wants. But I wouldn't mind betting they have massive affection for Como. Can't say I blame them!! Who wouldn't?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Thu 06 Nov 2014, 21:25

PigPen wrote:They live in such a different world than I do...
Los Angeles - Cabo - (?) New York  -Italy - England   

Where do you call home?   I mean, yes, each property is a home/property for them.  But where is home ?   Probably projecting my values..sorry flower

And how do you keep track of your wardrobe.. "honey, where is my blue sports coat.. you know-the one I always wear when I drink tequila"
That one is easy for George, he always wear the same baggy grandpa jeans and Casamigos t-shirt. Might be tricker for her.

But houses should be lived in. Not good for them to be empty too much and it must require a whole bunch of people to maintain them. No wonder G has to work hard.
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 06 Nov 2014, 21:34

HaHaHa!

"Honey, where's my drinking shirt? The blue one?"

"It's in the London flat, same as my fat jeans."

"Damn. Okay, I'm going to walk the dogs."

"We have dogs here?"

"Yep. The Sonning spaniels. I think. Wait. Where are we?"

"Como, I think. It's Thanksgiving, so..."

"Right. Maybe I meant Einstein."

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 21:36

LOL!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Thu 06 Nov 2014, 21:40

Very Happy
Silje
Silje

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 06 Nov 2014, 21:54

Yes I imagine it must feel like that sometimes when you have so many homes. If it's Thanksgiving it must be Cabo right? Christmas, Cabo. Summer, Como. But I think all of George's shirts are considered drinking shirts.

PigPen I agree I can't imagine living my life that way with so many homes. I like the idea of having an anchor and maybe a summer home. All these homes would just confuse me.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next