George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler

+7
media savvy
Doug Ross
carolhathaway
annemarie
it's me
ladybugcngc
party animal - not!
11 posters

Go down

George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler Empty George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler

Post by party animal - not! Fri 13 Apr 2018, 17:42

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

APRIL 13, 2018 9:30am PT by Lesley Goldberg
[size=48]George Clooney Reduces 'Catch-22' Role; Kyle Chandler Takes Over as Lead in Hulu Mini[/size]

Already directing and producing, Clooney felt he was spread too thin to take on the lead role as well.

George Clooney is reducing his role in Hulu's forthcoming Catch-22 miniseries.

The two-time Oscar winner and Emmy nominee has reduced his role in the six-episode limited series. Friday Night Lights Emmy winner Kyle Chandler will take over the part originally earmarked for Clooney, while the latter will change roles to one less demanding as he also juggles producing and directing duties. 

In the series based on Joseph Heller's seminal novel, Clooney was poised to star as Col. Cathcart, the part originally played by Martin Balsam in the 1970 feature. That will now be played by Chandler. Clooney, who made the decision to take a lesser part in what is his first series regular role since NBC's ER, will now portray Scheisskopf.Catch-22 reunites Chandler with Argo producer Clooney.

Catch-22 is the story of an artful dodger, Yossarian (to be played by Christopher Abbott, taking on the role played by Alan Arkin in the 1970 feature), a U.S. Air Force bombardier in World War II who is furious because thousands of people he has never met are trying to kill him. But his real problem is not the enemy, but rather his own army, which keeps increasing the number of missions the men must fly to complete their service. Yet if Yossarian makes any attempt to avoid his military assignments, he’ll be in violation of "Catch-22," a hilariously sinister bureaucratic rule that specifies that a concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers which are real and immediate is the process of a rational mind; a man is considered insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions, but a request to be removed from duty is evidence of sanity and therefore makes him ineligible to be relieved from duty.  

Chandler's Cathcart is the commanding officer who continues to send Yossarian out on missions. The character takes himself very seriously. Clooney's Scheisskopf is a training commander at cadet school in California. He's ambitious, humorless, inept, angry, sadistic — and above all else, obsessed with parades and winning parade tournaments. At cadet school he makes the men’s lives a living hell. Deep down he’s just an angry idiot, so there’s no real danger he’ll ever be sent overseas. And then: he is sent overseas. As the head of operations for the entire Mediterranean Theater. And straight back into Yossarian’s life.

Chandler received back-to-back Emmy nominations for his lead role in Netflix's since-canceled drama Bloodline. His TV credits include Early Edition and an Emmy for guesting in Grey's Anatomy. On the film side, he next appears in Universal's Neil Armstrong biopic First Man and Godzilla. His feature credits include Game Night and Super 8. He's repped by Gersh and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

Hulu landed Catch-22 — with Clooney attached to star — in a competitive situation with multiple outlets bidding. Clooney, whose paycheck for each of the six episodes is said to be in the $1 million ballpark, exec produces the Paramount Television and Anonymous Content drama alongside co-writers Luke Davies (Lion) and David Michod (War Machine). Clooney and his Smokehouse Pictures producing partner Grant Heslov (Good Night and Good Luck, Argo, The Ides of March) will co-direct and executive produce. Anonymous Content's Richard Brown and Steve Golin also exec produce. Ellen Kuras recently joined the series and will produce and direct two of the six episodes. Hugh Laurie co-stars as Major de Coverley.

Paramount Television owned the rights to Heller's 1961 satirical novel and developed the series under head Amy Powell, who identified the book as one of the first projects she'd like to take on since being tapped to run the studio. The project, taken out in December, drew interest from multiple SVOD outlets, with Hulu emerging on top. (The series is closed-ended and will tell a full story over six episodes; there will not be a second season.)

Powell sent all six scripts to Clooney and Heslov. They read them overnight. That led to a lunch with Powell, Heslov and Clooney, in which the actor asked if he could play the character Col. Cathcart. "He had incredible instincts on the material," Powell recalls of Clooney. "He talked about how he wanted to direct, what locations could be used and how he wanted to cast fresh faces to play the show's young soldiers. It was a love fest."  

Paramount TV and Clooney's plan is to make Catch-22 a global story and shoot on location in a bid to be as accurate to the source material as possible. Producers also want to use one of the handful of surviving World War II planes. (Davies and Michod went for a flight in one of them as research.)

Last edited by Admin on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 04:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text so we know what we're talking about)

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler Empty Re: George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 13 Apr 2018, 18:17

Smile
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler Empty Re: George hands lead role in Catch 22 to Kyle Chandler

Post by it's me Fri 13 Apr 2018, 18:52

Good decision
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 13 Apr 2018, 18:54

it's me wrote:Good decision
Why?
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 13 Apr 2018, 19:04

To have less stress
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 13 Apr 2018, 19:09

it's me wrote:To have less stress
bounce
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 13 Apr 2018, 19:11

He may have gotten the fact he can't do everything and he doesn't have too.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 13 Apr 2018, 19:32

I think you are right Annemarie.  It's probably in his best interest to let some things go.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 13 Apr 2018, 20:11

So the evil character George will be playing now is called 'Scheisskopf'. That's a german word meaning 'shithead', if anybody's interested.  Laughing
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 13 Apr 2018, 20:39

Lol really I bet George loves that.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Fri 13 Apr 2018, 21:25

Oh god, I can already see him mentioning this in the press tour.

I actually like this decision, he can focus more on the direction.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by media savvy Fri 13 Apr 2018, 23:18

Are you all conveniently forgetting that since Monuments Men George has not been burning up with movie screen.    As an actor He has had quite a few disappointing showings:  tomorowland, hail caesar, money monster - even is Nespresso ads seem to be phasing out - they have a woman advertising the pods in Australia now.

media savvy
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by media savvy Fri 13 Apr 2018, 23:24

His directing hasn't been on point either poor bugger.  Still he  has made untold millions, married to the most amazing women ever,,,,on the planet... and has two children waiting in a nursery somewhere to be photographed for Hello Magazine

media savvy
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 13 Apr 2018, 23:43

Carolhathaway -  Very Happy   I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he picked that part for himself!

Media Savvy - George is, as all of us are, a work in progress. His performances as an actor are as much down to the directors and scripts as to him. His success as a director has been uneven, but most critics praise his ability to get good performances from his actors. Realizing that he can't do it all may help him focus on the things he hasn't mastered as a director.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 14 Apr 2018, 00:26

Funny how we only remember the not-so-successful films........Gravity was 2013 and his top earning film at $695 million, The Descendants (2013) and Up in the Air (2011) were $175 million or so each.

And Money Monster wasn't too shabby at over $100 million either........

Hard to know about Nespresso. Last one was in April 2017 with the Muppets among others......and he's definitely on the ethical board. Wonder what this new ad with him dressed in knight's armour is for......Grant's involved with that too

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Sat 14 Apr 2018, 01:02

I meant "directing", in my previous post. 

And... I really liked Hail, Caesar. Suburbicon, too. It was so beautifully crafted.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 14 Apr 2018, 01:14

PAN - There's a Nespresso ad running here with George and Andy Garcia. I'm too lazy to look, but I thought we might have had it here on COH. Maybe it's not running outside of the US.

I can't agree with Media Savvy that George has been disappointing as an actor. I think his acting has been just fine. He had nothing to do with the writing or direction of the films Media Savvy mentioned. He was one member of  a cast of actors and really can't be held responsible for anything more than his own performance. I also don't think the quality of a movie should be judged solely on how much money it makes. A lot of megabucks tentpole films stink.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sat 14 Apr 2018, 03:18

I think his acting is great . He was good in Monuments Men  , he really  looked the era  .  He has had stand out performances  like in Michael Clayton .     Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 14 Apr 2018, 03:34

I’ve also seen the Nespresso ad with Andy Garcia.  It’s been playing here for the last few months.

Seems George made a smart move taking on a lesser role to focus on his direction. George is a terrific actor.  He nails almost every role he takes on.  Beyond his acting there have been ups and downs.  I think he is still   honing his craft as a director.  As long as he can I think he will keep making movies he wants to make, even if they don’t bring in big box office bucks or have broad appeal.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 14 Apr 2018, 04:17

I don't think those films were failures because of George's acting: Tomorrowland was a mess of a film that no one could save but the acting was fine.  Money Monster was also good.

Haven't seen Suburbicon so can't comment on that. When a film fails, it's not always solely the lead actors fault. 

I think George has come to the conclusion that he's not a box office certainty anymore and as such, doesn't have to put himself on the big screen in the leading role in order to get financing.  I would guess he has mixed feelings about that, but I imagine he's taking advantage of that by concentrating on what he seems to find more interesting.  Just guessing here, of course.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 14 Apr 2018, 04:24

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kyle Chandler replaces George Clooney in Catch-22 lead role

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

DAVID CANFIELD 
April 13, 2018 AT 01:24 PM EDT

Kyle Chandler is going from Coach to Colonel.
The Emmy-winning actor has been cast as the uber-serious Colonel Cathcart, a lead role in Hulu’s upcoming adaptation of Catch-22, EW has confirmed. The limited series is set to be produced and directed by George Clooney and his creative partner Grant Heslov; Clooney was originally slated to play Cathcart as well, but decided to step aside out of fear of spreading himself too thin, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Instead, he’ll play the supporting part of training commander Scheisskopf. He and Chandler will star opposite the previously-cast Christopher Abbott (James White) and Hugh Laurie (House).
Co-adapted by Luke Davies and David Michôd, the six-episode Catch-22 is based on Joseph Heller’s seminal novel of the same name. It tells the story of the incomparable, artful dodger, Yossarian (Abbott), a U.S. Air Force bombardier in World War II who is furious because thousands of people he has never met are trying to kill him. But his real problem is not the enemy, but rather his own army which keeps increasing the number of missions the men must fly to complete their service. Yet if Yossarian makes any attempt to avoid his military assignments, he’ll be in violation of Catch-22, a hilariously sinister bureaucratic rule which specifies that a concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers which are real and immediate is the process of a rational mind; a man is considered insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions, but a request to be removed from duty is evidence of sanity and therefore makes him ineligible to be relieved from duty.
Chandler, whose beloved Friday Night Lights turn won him the Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama Series, most recently earned acclaim for his leading role in Netflix’s Bloodline. On the movie side, he stars in La La Land director Damien Chazelle’s next film, First Man, a biopic of Neil Armstrong.
Hulu has not yet announced a premiere date for Catch-22.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sat 14 Apr 2018, 06:47

Donnamarie wrote:I’ve also seen the Nespresso ad with Andy Garcia.  It’s been playing here for the last few months.

Seems George made a smart move taking on a lesser role to focus on his direction. George is a terrific actor.  He nails almost every role he takes on.  Beyond his acting there have been ups and downs.  I think he is still   honing his craft as a director.  As long as he can I think he will keep making movies he wants to make, even if they don’t bring in big box office bucks or have broad appeal.
Did you "Suburbicon"?  The way that movie was structured was amazing; extremely creative.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 14 Apr 2018, 14:04

It always annoys me when one actor is blamed for the failure of a film. There are hundreds of people involved, from the cast and crew to the publicity and distribution teams. Even if the actor being blamed (usually the "star") does a really awful job, where was the director? If the performance stinks aren't they at least partly to blame? And what about the editors? And the writers? IMO when a film tanks there's plenty of culprits to blame.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sat 14 Apr 2018, 14:27

LizzyNY wrote:It always annoys me when one actor is blamed for the failure of a film. There are hundreds of people involved, from the cast and crew to the publicity and distribution teams. Even if the actor being blamed (usually the "star") does a really awful job, where was the director? If the performance stinks aren't they at least partly to blame? And what about the editors? And the writers? IMO when a film tanks there's plenty of culprits to blame.
Lizzy did you see "Suburbicon"?  All the people I talked to that saw the movie liked it.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down