George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Tomorrowland "failure" EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Tomorrowland "failure"

+2
PigPen
fava
6 posters

Go down

Tomorrowland "failure" Empty Tomorrowland "failure"

Post by fava Thu 31 Dec 2015, 17:11

I think there was a thread about whether this film was a "flop" or not, but I couldn't find it.  It was included in the Washington Post's list of 2015 box office failures.  Full link below, Tomorrowland section copied and pasted.

What we learned from 10 of the year's biggest box office failures

"Tomorrowland”
Disney has had a very good year, what with the latest “Star Wars” installment, Pixar’s “Inside Out” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron” from subsidiary Marvel Studios.
But tentpole “Tomorrowland” fell way short of expectations. It had the right ingredients: George Clooney in a starring role opposite next-big-thing Britt Robertson; Brad Bird, the man behind “Ratatouille” and “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol,” directing; “Lost” showrunner Damon Lindelof on script duty. But none of it was enough to elevate a visually arresting movie to anything more than eye candy. The story was dull and meandering. And the failure was serious: Domestically, the movie pulled in less than half of its $190 million budget. The movie did better overseas, but not nearly enough to break even.
THE LESSON: George Clooney’s star power goes far on the red carpet but not at the box office. Not that Clooney is to blame really. The truth is that big-name actors just simply aren’t enough to get people to theaters anymore.
See also: A slew of bombs featuring A-listers, including “Burnt,” “By the Sea,” “Hot Pursuit,” “Our Brand Is Crisis” and “Secret in Their Eyes.”

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Tomorrowland "failure" Empty Re: Tomorrowland "failure"

Post by PigPen Thu 31 Dec 2015, 17:22

THE LESSON  

Unfortunately, this seems to be true.  Let's face it, he gets more PR coming and leaving restaurants, etc than he does for his work.  Yes, he's done a great deal for charities etc.  But for the most part.......a good part of the general public  recognizes him as a Kardashian wannabe.  Sad                                                                                                                 

PigPen
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 31 Dec 2015, 18:17

PigPen wrote:THE LESSON  

Unfortunately, this seems to be true.  Let's face it, he gets more PR coming and leaving restaurants, etc than he does for his work.  Yes, he's done a great deal for charities etc.  But for the most part.......

a
good part of the general public  recognizes him as a Kardashian wannabe.  Sad                                                                                                                 

Come come PP. Making that last statement needs validating.

Can we see copies of your studies/interviews/evidence etc please.

Or are you writing under the influence of the Good Stuff again. Hmmmm ?

lol!
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 05 Jan 2016, 00:16

Well, I think that's a stretch. He gets plenty of publicity for his films - same as other actors do too.

For me the problem with Tomorrowland was that it just wasn't a very compelling story. I felt like it was made for children rather than adults; there was something very simplistic about it.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 05 Jan 2016, 02:08

I agree Katiedot.  Tomorrowland wasn't compelling.  But I also don't think it was appealing to kids either.  It didn't find its niche audience at all.  Sad.  I read the Post article and wisely they didn't blame George for the shortcomings.  It was the story itself that fell short.

And the Post smartly pointed out that big name stars don't drive the box office anymore.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 05 Jan 2016, 03:19

So kind of them to admit that George isn't to blame for this movie being a flop! IMO the writing and editing were completely at fault. It seemed as if the writers had an interesting premise but didn't know how to turn it into an engaging or exciting story. Then they over-hyped it to the point that it could never live up to expectations. I sometimes wonder if anyone even watches these movies before they're released. scratch

Being in some ways a case of arrested development, I enjoyed the movie - especially George's performance. It wasn't anywhere near as good as it should have been. IMO a major missed opportunity - NONE of which was George's fault!

(PP - Kartrashian wannabe?!!! Really?!!!  Shame on you! That's just mean! Razz )
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down