George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptyToday at 11:48 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report

+2
What Would He Say
Mazy
6 posters

Go down

Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report Empty Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report

Post by Mazy Sun 05 Jan 2014, 11:10

Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report
By Madeline Chambers | Reuters – Mon, 30 Dec, 2013
By Madeline Chambers

BERLIN (Reuters) - An art historian has found two art works stolen by the Nazis inside Germany's parliament, a newspaper reported on Monday, in a new embarrassment for authorities after a huge stash of looted art came to light last month.

The Bundestag, in a statement issued after the report in Bild newspaper, said an art historian was reviewing two "suspicious cases", but a spokesman would not confirm the find.

The art historian's investigations into the German parliament's art collection, which began in 2012, were continuing, the Bundestag spokesman said.

"It is unclear when there will be a result to the investigations," he said.

Last month German authorities revealed that a trove of Nazi-looted art, valued at 1 billion euros ($1.38 billion), had been found in a Munich apartment.

That collection had been held for decades by Cornelius Gurlitt, the elderly son of an art dealer of part-Jewish descent who was ordered by Hitler to buy up so-called 'degenerate art' and sell it to raise funds for the Nazis.

Bild newspaper said one of the two works discovered in the Bundestag collection had also originally belonged to the Gurlitt family.

Bild said the two works were an oil painting, 'Chancellor Buelow speaking in the Reichstag', by Georg Waltenberger dated 1905, and a chalk lithography entitled 'Street in Koenigsberg' by Lovis Corinth.

The Nazis plundered hundreds of thousands of art works from museums and individuals across Europe. An unknown number of works is still missing and museums around the world have conducted investigations into the origins of their exhibits.
German authorities came under fire for keeping quiet for two years about the discovery of Gurlitt's trove of 1,406 European art works which included works by Picasso and Matisse.

The legal status of the hoard is unclear. Gurlitt has demanded his art back and lawyers working on reclaiming property for heirs to Jewish collectors say he may get to keep at least some.

The Bundestag's art collection comprises around 4,000 works and Bild said investigations had found some 108 pieces so far of unknown provenance.

About four years ago, it returned a portrait of former German chancellor Otto von Bismarck in a hat by Franz von Lenbach to its original owners after it was found to have been stolen by the Nazis.

The Central Council of Jews in Germany called for a list of the Bundestag's art works to be published.

"If the Bundestag is keeping lists of its collection secret, hindering the press in its investigations, protecting the perpetrators of Ayranization and not informing the heirs, I would wish those responsible to show more sensibility and tact," Council President Dieter Graumann told Bild.

($1 = 0.7258 euros)

(Reporting by Madeline Chambers; Editing by Susan Fenton)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report Empty Re: Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report

Post by What Would He Say Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:14

@Mazy ...thanks yet again...x

Where Berlin? That will make the the film festival interesting..... Suspect 
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report Empty Re: Nazi-Looted Art Found In German Parliament: Report

Post by silly girl Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:44

Yes very interesting...thanks....maybe pushing the film out wasn't a bad idea,,,,,

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:49

Yes Berlin. The art was found in the government building. The statement said two "suspicious cases"..... So nothing is confirmed yet. Still investigating.  I think they do the investigation because one of the two arts originally belonged to the Gurlitt family. The old guy from Munich where the big art found was made. I guess they just want to make sure where those 2 pictures are coming from.

I don't think this find makes the film festival interesting. It is interesting for MM that's all. Which is still great. But I don't think they will use this case if nothing gets confirmed. 
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:56

@Nicky @silly girl

I meant interesting as in timing (as SG says in post above).

Timing is everything ....... BUT could there be more to come ...

YOU COULDN'T WRITE IT, BUT THEN THEY DID.
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 13:03

Yep the timing is great. I'm sure there is more to come. that's what the prosecutors in Munich were saying when the big art found was made in Munich. The investigation is big and we just experience this with the article above as one of those art originally belonged to the family in Munich. 

I think they starting to track down all the art work from the family even if it's not anymore in they possession to investigate if it's stolen art or not. So for sure much more to come  Thumbs up!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 05 Jan 2014, 13:10

@NICKY

I gave you a greeny Nicky... it's great to have someone with a point of view from inside a Country ... Keep us informed, your post's are always interesting.  Thumbs up! 
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 13:17

Thank you   Hug1
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:30

hope G will still be welcomed there
anyway not his fault
he only made a film about a book
which wrote something REAL
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:43

Ahhh, IM .... now here's a thought what if.....

He made a documentary short about making a film (MM) about the book (MM) and subsequent hooha. They need not edit it until as late as possible this year - 18 December as before -(take advantage of further revelations). That way enter YET ANOTHER CATEGORY AT 2015 OSCARS...which would also act as a timely reminder for MM in catagories already talked of ....

Hope I haven't confused everyone again.... scratch

Last edited by what would he say on Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : put in short...)
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:49

he made a documentary to enter the documentary category in 2015 Oscar race?

you a spy?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:58

No no no.... just my imagination.... it's not real .... x
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 05 Jan 2014, 23:05

ahhhhh
ok
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sun 05 Jan 2014, 23:40

That's what they did with "From Dusk to Dawn." They made "Full Tilt Boogie." about the making of FDTD.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 05 Jan 2014, 23:55

it was nice
if I remember well
but Oscar worthy?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 06 Jan 2014, 01:41

This is about the an almost forgotten true story, coming back to life because of an authur and a couple of curious film makers and how serendipidy brought everything together and into sharp focus at exactly the right time.

Though, everybodies business looks easy from the outside.  What do I know about documentaries or movies, but to me, it cries out to be made.  scratch

NO no dumb idea ... I think it is considered "Down Market" for movie makers to do shorts ... Can't see Mr Clooney doing anything "low rent" ... OMG NO !

Last edited by what would he say on Mon 06 Jan 2014, 11:43; edited 2 times in total
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 06 Jan 2014, 08:56

so your idea about last news
good! let him know  Thumbs up! 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 06 Jan 2014, 11:53

No, I am sure he is totally booked up 'till 2020  affraid 
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 06 Jan 2014, 13:49

busy with his job?

silent puke
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 08 Jan 2014, 19:57

This should probably go alongside all this info.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 08 Jan 2014, 20:52

link doesn't work :/
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 08 Jan 2014, 21:04

Okay. Try this one instead

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 08 Jan 2014, 21:10

great
thanks!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 09 Jan 2014, 01:43

PAN I put the article from your link in a new thread thanks.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down