George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman

+8
it's me
LizzyNY
playfuldeb
OofOof
pattygirl
theminis
Joanna
Katiedot
12 posters

Go down

5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman Empty 5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman

Post by Katiedot Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:43

Somebody has given this some serious thought!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[b]5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman/b]

March 25, 2013

Anthony Gramuglia

Who’s the best Batman? People go back and forth on this one. A lot of people say Christian Bale, others Michael Keaton, and even some argue Adam West was the only live-action Batman worth watching.

However, everyone–and for good reason–forgets George Clooney’s performance as Batman. Everyone agrees that Batman and Robin was the black sheep of the Batman film series. However, really think about the criticisms made against it. Ice puns. Whiny Robin. Bat Nipples. Everyone agrees that 80% of the cast was terrible, but there are two things that I have yet to hear brought up in discussion of the film’s faults. Everyone ignores Michael Gough’s Alfred and George Clooney’s Batman.

They were the silver lining on the most disappointing film of all time.

However, I will go one step further. Not only was George Clooney the best part of Batman and Robin, but he had the potential to be the best Batman. Period. Given a better script, less studio interference, and if Schumacher was able to make a Batman film in the vein of Phone Booth or Lost Boys, George Clooney might’ve become a fan favorite Batman.

Consider the following.

5. His Performance In Batman And Robin was Goofy, But Sincere
Batman and Robin was a terrible film with a terrible script. Many of the villains turned in ham-fisted, over the top performances, while the Bat Family was muted, tedious, dull. However, in every scene he’s in, even when it’s clear that Clooney knows he’s in a stupid film, he puts in effort. When he’s Bruce Wayne, he turns on the charm. When he’s Batman, while not threatening or intimidating (more a problem with the script), he is believable.

Granted, he admitted to playing Batman as a maturing gay guy with a weird hobby, but that was, again, a problem with directing and the script. We have to remove Clooney from Batman and Robin’s reputation. He wasn’t bad in it. Everything around him was dreadful.

4. Clooney Can Be A Playboy
Clooney’s early roles were heart throbs. He knows how to get his charm on. He knows what the ladies like, and that’s exactly what Bruce Wayne needs. Bruce Wayne ought to be the last person you suspect to be Batman. Michael Keaton did this best on film, but even in Batman and Robin, Clooney charmed everyone. Only problem is this is the only film where he doesn’t have a love interest (Poison Ivy doesn’t count. Robin might.).

Consider the following. Val Kilmer was dull as Bruce. Christian Bale tries to be a convincing playboy, but you’d know there was something off about this guy if you met him. He seems fake, bored with life. On the other hand, Keaton fooled everyone, including the audience. Fans petitioned WB for a recast because they couldn’t see Keaton as Batman. Keaton’s Bruce Wayne is a charming playboy who internalizes all of his issues. Bruce Wayne is the mask Batman hides behind.

Where does Clooney come in? Clooney can pull playboy charm even better than Keaton. Keaton’s Bruce Wayne was a nice guy, but not the type who you can visualize getting any girl he wants. Bruce Wayne is a pheromone factory. Women are drawn to him, even if they’re out to kill him. They just can’t help it. Clooney is also a lady magnet. He was voted the sexiest man alive at least once.

Clooney can play the mask of Bruce Wayne perfectly.

…but does that mean all that much in the long run if he can’t play Batman?

3. Clooney Can Be Terrifying
Have you seen From Dusk Til Dawn? (Spoiler free. I love showing it to people who never heard of it before, and seeing their reactions when they get to the bar.) George Clooney plays a criminal in it, along with Quentin Tarantino, who, without raising his voice above a gentle little hum, terrifies people into submission. Not just his voice, but his stance, even when dealing with things far outside of his control, he remains bad-ass, in control, and terrifying.

That’s Batman.

Even in other movies, you see that same quality. George Clooney can scream and yell, but he doesn’t need to. Batman is most intimidating when he is calm, collected, less man and more a shadow. Again, another issue with Christian Bale was that he lost control too quickly. Losing control means you can’t handle the situation. It’s a sign of weakness, not strength. Yelling and screaming might be “tough,” but anyone can do that. Very few can make you cry to your God with a whisper.

Again, Keaton nailed it. His introduction in the ’89 Batman film is breathtaking. He doesn’t yell. He barely speaks until the end. He proves his power through demonstration (Bale does this too), then speaks in a whisper (Bale does not do this). Clooney does all this in From Dusk Til Dawn. Watch the first couple scenes, and imagine Batman saying them (sure, he’s using a gun, but just use your imagination).

2. Clooney Can Do Subtly Tormented
Have you watched The Thin Red Line–long movie, but it’s worth watching at least once–or O Brother, Where Art Thou? Both films feature George Clooney dealing with psychological anguish. Clooney in both films knows exactly how much he needs to emote at any given point. It’s like a symphony. He hits every note just right.

That is a prerequisite to playing Batman. This is Bale’s strong suit. Keaton is good at subtle, but his Batman isn’t pushed necessarily to the limits like Bale. Nolanverse’s Batman is tough, the playboy attempts to be fun, but when all is sad and done, Bruce Wayne is broken. The moments when he’s just talking to Alfred or Rachael or Selina Kyle or Ra’s al Ghul are powerful.

Clooney has done the same thing, only, unlike Bale, he can do it without really transitioning from one state of mind to the other. With Bale, you can visibly see when he’s fake Bruce, real Bruce, and Batman. He acts totally different as all three. With Clooney, he can overlap. (With Bale that has also to do with Nolan’s direction, and you can make the argument that this divide is intentional. However, very often, in the original comics, it’s hard to tell when Bruce is himself. There’s overlap.)

That is where I once again bring up Keaton. Keaton’s Bruce Wayne and Batman, while clearly separate, were also pretty similar to one another. They had the same sensibilities, and Keaton’s Bruce, while aloof and light-hearted, restrained himself from getting too involved with others. There’s that beautiful, subtle scene where he puts flowers on the street his parents died that really captures everything about Keaton’s Batman in one little scene, but he’s playing Bruce Wayne when he does it. A really great juxtaposition. Again, Clooney can do that, as seen in the previously mentioned films. Clooney plays a soldier in The Thin Red Line, but he also plays a human being, and manages to balance these two sides of himself perfectly.

In the end, though, and most important of them all…

1. He Looks Like Batman
Look at all the Batmen. Don’t they look a little goofy in the suit? Keaton and Bale have their moments, but Val Kilmer looks uncomfortable, like he doesn’t want to be seen. Adam West plays up the goofiness. He wants us to know how silly it all is.

However, look at pics of George Clooney in the suit. From the nipples up. The guy is a natural. He doesn’t seem awkward like Kilmer does. He has no shame at all wearing that thing.

Not only that, but he LOOKS like Bruce Wayne. Look at them side-by-side. They look similar. More similar than Bale or Keaton, by far.

Clooney could’ve been the best Batman ever, but he was given a terrible script. We got what we got, but we could’ve had so much more.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman Empty Re: 5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman

Post by Joanna Tue 26 Mar 2013, 11:21

Quote....

2. Clooney Can Do Subtly Tormented
Have you watched The Thin Red Line–long movie, but it’s worth watching at least once–or O Brother, Where Art Thou? Both films feature George Clooney dealing with psychological anguish.
Clooney in both films knows exactly how much he needs to emote at any given point. It’s like a symphony. He hits every note just right.

Thin Red Line ? He's only in the last ten minutes, if that.....or have I missed him in other scenes ?
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman Empty Re: 5 Reasons Why George Clooney Could Have Been The Best Batman

Post by theminis Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:24

Well my son maintains that the Clooney Batman movie is the best he's ever seen, doesn't like the other Batmans, yeah okay, he's only 7 but his opinion is still valid!!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:34

You've obviously brain washed him well theminis !!
Thumbs up! lol!
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Tue 26 Mar 2013, 15:38

Joanna, I believe most of his work was cut out of the DVD version, but I think he had a bigger part. Wish I could have seen those other scenes.
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Tue 26 Mar 2013, 17:06

I was also really disappointed in The Thin Red Line. I remember thinking, did they forget to include George's scenes? Definitely not enough of him in that film.
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 26 Mar 2013, 17:58

pattygirl wrote:Joanna, I believe most of his work was cut out of the DVD version, but I think he had a bigger part. Wish I could have seen those other scenes.

Oh thanks patty....I've only seen the DVD. I'll have to check again for deleted scenes. LOL
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Wed 30 Oct 2013, 04:33

And now we have a sixth reason. Isn't this George when he was little? (JK)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 01 Nov 2013, 03:49

Even though "Batman and Robin" is a truly awful movie, I must have seen it at least five times because of George. A couple of his scenes, especially with "Alfred" , are really well acted and nuanced - not over the top over-acted like the rest of the film's performances.
I may be a barbarian, but "From Dusk To Dawn" is one of my favorite films. I will watch it any chance I get. It is very violent but has a sort of sick, twisted sense of humor and great performances by both George and Quentin Tarantino. If you haven't seen it, give it a try. It's a blast!

LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 01 Nov 2013, 09:34

I have a strange attitude when seeing him in movies
I see only him

then
after some more times I see the whole film

the only film I really 'saw' was Gravity
bec G is not in almost every scenes

pathetic
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 01 Nov 2013, 09:42

it's me wrote:I have a strange attitude when seeing him in movies
I see only him

then
after some more times I see the whole film

the only film I really 'saw' was Gravity
bec G is not in almost every scenes

pathetic  
Oh it's me you make me laugh. Too funny    Yahooooo Yahooooo Yahooooo Yahooooo   But I know what you mean hehehe
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 01 Nov 2013, 09:45

thanks
I feel a bit less pathetic...

but it's impossible not to feed your eyes when you see him BIG TIME on the BIG SCREEN Embarassed 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Sat 22 Mar 2014, 14:38

I haven't seen the movie. But I don't quite like Christian Bale's Batman...Finding him unattractive and too stubborn Mad 
Maybe I'll like the George Clooney Batman
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 22 Mar 2014, 15:09

@Sevens - You may like the George Clooney Batman - I do - but you probably won't like the movie too much. It kinda sucks - and I've seen it at least seven times now because it's always on tv here and I can't resist watching HIM. (Not the movie, because , as I said, it really sucks!)
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 23 Mar 2014, 06:50

The film really isn't very good, although I agree that Christian Bale is a shabby Batman. I hate his silly voice and his total lack of expression in every scene.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sun 23 Mar 2014, 08:55

I've always thought George was the best Batman...he didn't design the costumes, (I've never seen anyone complaining about the nipples on Batgirls costume!!) he didn't write the script...he did his best with what he was given IMO...The other Batman movies were miserable and boring...I used to read the comics when I was young and they had some humour in them...more like the Batman TV series.
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 23 Mar 2014, 09:30

I also like G in it
I don't know the others anyway so I can't compare
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 23 Mar 2014, 16:06

I should be ashamed to admit how many times I've watched this movie, but I'm not. I watch it to see George. Thinking it over, he's really not a very good Batman - but he is a GREAT Bruce Wayne. His performance in those scenes is nuanced and subtle - especially compared to the over-acted scenery chewing of Schwartzenegger and Thurman. I often wonder what he could have done with a decent script and director.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sun 23 Mar 2014, 17:33

Well, this is how much I don't like superhero movies (with the exception of 'The Incredibles'): I've never seen it. Not even for George. And I've even watched him in a Quentin Tarantino movie, which goes against just about everything I like about movies.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 23 Mar 2014, 20:50

Way2Old - If the Tarantino movie was "From Dusk To Dawn", wasn't it worth it? I know I'm warped, but I love that movie! It's so sick and twisted, but funny as hell - and they're both really fun to watch in it. (Quentin and George)

"Batman" isn't anywhere near as good, but it isn't as weird either. It's just a bad kids' movie, with a few really nice scenes with George sprinkled in. If you have time to kill someday give it a try- just for him - or just fast forward to the scenes with Alfred or the girlfriend.  Smile 
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 25 Mar 2014, 15:46

Well, this isn't a QT forum, so suffice it to say, "No, it wasn't." I like dark humor, but not too sick, and QT loves him some twisted gore. Clooney's part was well-played, but even he can't bring me to watch a QT film in its entirety*. And you're talking to a woman who once watched the only James Bond movie I've ever seen just because Bernie Casey (on whom I once had a huge crush -- I'm showing my age) was in a couple of scenes.

* 'Jackie Brown' being the one exception.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 25 Mar 2014, 16:37

@Way2Old - We usually agree on so many things, I'm sorry this isn't one of them. I don't like most QT movies because they're so bloody, but this one doesn't bother me. Maybe because it's a vampire movie, not some close-to-reality crime flick. I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one. Smile 
PS - Give "Batman" a try just for the George scenes. The rest of the movie is pretty silly and badly acted, but he's not bad at all as Bruce Wayne.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 25 Mar 2014, 18:44

Yeah, see, I'm very literal when it comes to taste in movies. I don't understand or like vampires. Or zombies. I just don't get it. And when you mix in QT's admiration for close, lingering shots of bloody violence, that's a double uh-uh for me.

If there ever comes a day when I literally have nothing else to watch, I'll fire up GC's 'Batman.' Just to be able to say that my devotion is complete.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 25 Mar 2014, 20:18

LizzyNY wrote:Way2Old - If the Tarantino movie was "From Dusk To Dawn", wasn't it worth it? I know I'm warped, but I love that movie! It's so sick and twisted, but funny as hell - and they're both really fun to watch in it. (Quentin and George)

"Batman" isn't anywhere near as good, but it isn't as weird either. It's just a bad kids' movie, with a few really nice scenes with George sprinkled in. If you have time to kill someday give it a try- just for him - or just fast forward to the scenes with Alfred or the girlfriend.     Smile 

Bad kids movie? sshh don't tell my 3 kids, they have watched that movie more times than Ive logged on here!!! Its not exactly my favourite Batman movie either but Im forced, forced I tell you to watch it ad noisome....

Dusk till Dawn, absolute classic and nothing sexier than a tattooed Clooney running around that Bar!!!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 25 Mar 2014, 20:51

I was not in the right mood to see it
but he was on Ita tv yesterday right with FDTD Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 26 Mar 2014, 01:00

Lizzy, I haven't watched Dusk till Dawn...I'll give it a try this evening.
Can't say I really enjoy all the QT movies, but they're fun to watch!
The blood is too much to feel real so I'm not bothered!
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 26 Mar 2014, 03:07

Theminis - Finally someone who agrees with me on FDTD! That movie made me a fan forever he's soooo HOT!!! and the movie is just so freakin' funny (if you have a twisted sense of humor, as I apparently do  Laughing )

@Sevens - I really hope you like the movie. If you don't, please don't hate me for being such a cheerleader for it. I just can't help it - I love it! Maybe I'm just strange! Laughing 
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down