George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial

4 posters

Go down

George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial Empty George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial

Post by party animal - not! Thu 08 Apr 2021, 15:55

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial

The actor suggested a way to demolish the former Minneapolis cop's defense, said Benjamin Crump, the attorney for George Floyd’s family.

• By Lee Moran, HuffPost US

Actor George Clooney dished out some brutal advice for the prosecution of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, the attorney for George Floyd’s family said on Wednesday’s episode of “The View.”

Lawyer Benjamin Crump recalled Clooney lamenting in an email that Chauvin’s defense lawyers are suggesting that drugs ― and not the 9 minutes and 29 seconds that Chauvin pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck ― caused Floyd’s death in May 2020.

“He says, ‘Attorney Crump, you should tell them that if Derek Chauvin feels so confident in that, he should volunteer during his case to get down on the floor in that courtroom and let somebody come and put their knee on his neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds and be able to see if he can survive,’” Crump remembered Clooney writing to him.

“The experts will opine during this case that the average human being can go without oxygen from 30 seconds to 90 seconds — where George Floyd went without oxygen for over 429 seconds, and that’s why it was intentional what this officer did,” Crump added. “And I believe in my heart that he will be held criminally liable and it will hopefully set new precedents in America.”

Check out Crump’s comments from the 7-minute mark here:

Clooney has not confirmed Crump’s story. A representative did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.

The actor has been vocal about Floyd’s death, penning a scathing op-ed in June 2020 during Black Lives Matter protests that followed Floyd’s killing. Clooney declared racism in the United States “our pandemic.”

“It infects all of us, and in 400 years we’ve yet to find a vaccine,” Clooney wrote at the time. “It seems we’ve stopped even looking for one and we just try to treat the wound on an individual basis.”

Chauvin has pleaded not guilty to murder and manslaughter charges in the death of Floyd. The trial continues.

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial Empty Re: George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial

Post by Admin Thu 08 Apr 2021, 16:50

So George is apparently now emailing lawyers?  Or how did this happen?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial Empty Re: George Clooney Reportedly Offered Brutal Advice For The Derek Chauvin Trial

Post by party animal - not! Thu 08 Apr 2021, 17:26

It wouldn't really surprise me given his op-ed in the Guardian on the subject....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 08 Apr 2021, 20:21

I'm still puzzled by this story.  I mean, he married a lawyer so now he thinks he's qualified to give advice?  Or was this just a general chat email with someone (the lawyer) he already knows?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 08 Apr 2021, 22:56

Crump is a Black Lives Matter lawyer who is also defence lawyer for Brionna Taylor. George has

some connections there and he and Amal donated half a million to the cause as well as half a

million to the Southern Poverty Law Centre

Here's Crump telling The View about George's relationship and email.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 09 Apr 2021, 18:21

I guess that makes some sense.  Still think he hadn't meant for his email to be made public, though.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 10 Apr 2021, 00:37

Yep, I agree, Katie. In a way it seems like an inappropriate thing for a lawyer to

say in such a high profile and important case which is only halfway thro.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 10 Apr 2021, 01:44

It seems to me inappropriate for a lawyer to comment in the midst of an ongoing trial as Mr. Crump did on The View. I think he may have taken the opportunity to vent a bit, and George's emailed sentiment may have put voice to some of his frustration. I doubt that George would have wanted the email made public, but I don't think it will upset him very much considering his feelings about the case.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 10 Apr 2021, 17:26

A lawyer responds:

Lawyer Explains Why George Clooney's Advice To George Floyd's Attorney Makes No Sense

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Shutterstock

BY KATHLEEN WALSH/APRIL 9, 2021

It would appear that George Clooney has been as riveted by the Derek Chauvin trial as the rest of the world. And, also like everyone else watching, he has strong feelings about it. But as Los Angeles civil rights attorney DeWitt Lacy explains to Nicki Swift, Clooney's instincts are a bit off on this occasion.

Chauvin is charged with the murder of George Floyd, a Black man whose death was captured in a viral video in March 2020. The video shows the Minneapolis ex-cop kneeling on Floyd's neck for over eight minutes while Floyd was handcuffed and lying prone on his stomach. On April 8, 2021, an expert pulmonologist called by the prosecution testified that a healthy person would also have died in the same circumstances Floyd was subjected to.

In an email to the Floyd family's attorney, Benjamin Crump, Clooney seems to want to test this theory in court. Clooney's email read, in part, "Attorney Crump, you should tell them if Derek Chauvin feels so confident in that, he should volunteer during his case, to get down on the floor in that courtroom, and let somebody come and put their knee on his neck for nine minutes and 29 seconds and be able to see if he can survive," Entertainment Tonight reported.

But Lacy explains this is a terrible idea. "George Clooney's advice is neither good, nor helpful," he said, explaining no judge would let this idea fly. Here's why.

"An inflammatory suggestion like that made in court would only anger the jury and that's not good for what's a very strong case against [Derek] Chauvin," Los Angeles civil rights attorney DeWitt Lacy told Nicki Swift.

Suggesting that George Clooney's legal theory may be more influenced by Hollywood than courtroom experience, Lacy continued, "It may be one of those things that movie stars believe are dramatic and compelling to jurors during a trial. But that ignores the reality that jurors take what they do seriously, and their job is to consider the facts of a case. And certainly judges take what they do seriously, so movie-style courtroom theatrics aren't going to win over any fans."

Clooney is married to international law and human rights lawyer Amal Clooney but, Lacy points out, being married to a lawyer isn't the same as being one yourself.

Lacy concludes by quipping that he doesn't think anyone is really looking to Clooney for legal advice — and a gentle reminder that it's really the state who is prosecuting Chauvin. "In a criminal trial, it's the state prosecuting Officer Chauvin, not Mr. Crump," Lacy  noted.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 10 Apr 2021, 17:50

Is it me? I don't really understand Lacy's reasoning here. Why on earth would

reverting the question back to the man charged as a riposte upset the jury?

They're supposed to be impartial aren't they? Or is it that it seems to be a piece

of backchat that could have been put better in legal terms?  I don't think it was a serious suggestion anyway,

just a bit of a boost for the lawyer...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 10 Apr 2021, 18:08

Was Mr. Lacey asked to comment about George's email, or did he just volunteer his opinion about celebrities' involvement in high-profile issues? Did he decide to insert himself for a bit of self-promotion, because that's how it looks to me.

Just as he doesn't take George's "advice" seriously, I doubt that George meant it seriously, either. It was a bit of snark sent to a friend in, perhaps, a moment of pique as a way of letting off steam. It obviously isn't an appropriate courtroom tactic in a case as serious as this. I'm sure both George and Mr. Crump are aware of that - although they probably wish it was possible. That Mr. Lacey treated it as a serious suggestion says a good deal about Mr. Lacey, IMO.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 14 Apr 2021, 03:54

I agree with you both PAN and Lizzy.  I also think Lacey is overreaching to take so seriously what George said to Mr. Crump in a private email.  I also think it was inappropriate for Mr. Crump to bring up publicly what George said to him privately.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Wed 14 Apr 2021, 03:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down