George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight

+6
Donnamarie
LizzyNY
kat19
annemarie
Doug Ross
party animal - not!
10 posters

Go down

George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight Empty George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight

Post by party animal - not! Mon 24 Jun 2019, 21:47

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight Empty Re: George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight

Post by Doug Ross Mon 24 Jun 2019, 21:56

I'm glad he's focusing more on directing and leaving the screenplays to other people.

I sure hope that he'll write a new movie soon, but I like the choices he's making. And this movie is completely different from everything he has directed so far.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight Empty Re: George to direct and star in Good Morning Midnight

Post by annemarie Tue 25 Jun 2019, 01:02

George Clooney to Direct, Star in ‘Good Morning, Midnight’ Adaptation for Netflix
By JUSTIN KROLL
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Justin Kroll

Film Reporter@krolljvarFOLLOW

Justin's Most Recent Stories

CREDIT: IBL/SHUTTERSTOCK

George Clooney has signed on to direct and star in a feature film adaptation of Lily Brooks-Dalton’s novel “Good Morning, Midnight” for Netflix.

Mark L. Smith will adapt the screenplay from the sci-fi thriller, which was named one of the best books of 2017 by the Chicago Review of Books. The post-apocalyptic tale follows the parallel stories of Augustine (Clooney), a lonely scientist in the Arctic, and an astronaut on board the Aether spacecraft, which is trying to return home to Earth, as Augustine races to make contact with the spaceship.

Clooney and Smokehouse Pictures’ Grant Heslov will produce alongside Anonymous Content and Syndicate Entertainment, who sourced the material.

“Grant and I couldn’t be more excited to be involved with this incredible project,” said Clooney. “Mark is a writer we’ve long admired and his script is haunting. We’re thrilled to be working with our friends at Netflix as well.”

The film, which does not yet have a title, will begin production in October.

“Having known and worked with George for over two decades, I can’t think of anyone better to bring this amazing story to life,” said Scott Stuber, head of Netflix’s film division. “The book is powerful and moving, and Mark’s adaptation is beautifully written. At its core, this is a story about human nature, and one that I know our global audiences will fall in love with, just like I did when I read it.”

The adaptation marks Clooney’s first feature film for a streamer and first project with Netflix, though he recently executive produced, appeared in, and directed a few episodes for Hulu’s series adaptation of “Catch-22.” The film also marks his first directing gig since Paramount’s “Suburbicon” in 2017 and the first film he has starred in since 2016’s “Money Monster” for Sony.

Clooney is repped by CAA.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Tue 25 Jun 2019, 01:07

I'm glad that this project sounds different and has nothing to do with anything political or social justice, etc. I'd like for him to look for more unique material than what he's been doing the last few years, and this sounds like an interesting project. It's also not satire for once, thank god.

kat19
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 25 Jun 2019, 14:53

I'm just glad he's working to his strengths - acting and directing. For some reason the projects he and Grant write don't seem to work well.

I wonder how long it will be before this is aired. It sounds interesting.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 25 Jun 2019, 15:19

With the popularity of small screen streaming and limited series it provides George in some cases a more fitting way of showcasing the type of films that don’t necessarily appeal to huge audiences. The small screen allows him a far more creative and satisfying vehicle.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 07 Jul 2019, 11:47

I don’t know ..... playing to his strength or a “correction”....people become too comfortable life gets too easy and peeps look for excitement be that a second job, a new job, a new relationship whatever.... And God laughs and sends in a curve ball .... and suddenly you wish you had never messed with the “norm” ....

Not so much playing to his strengths ... as much as praying the strengths are still there.... ready to be recovered ....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 07 Jul 2019, 12:42

What amazes me about any film production is how very many companies, unions, and responsibilities for want of a better word are involved. When the credits go up and you see all this you realise, altho in theory you already knew, what it really  takes and how both George and Grant have evolved to become managing directors of huge concerns involving many many peoples livelihoods. Not bad for a guy from a small town in Kentucky!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 07 Jul 2019, 14:39

PAN - I think that's why he's so well liked in the industry. He's able to helm complex productions and still manages to ensure that everyone involved is treated well. I'm sure there are many industry professionals who would tell you that isn't always the case with other producers and directors.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 09 Jul 2019, 22:15

Felicity Jones to star opposite George...

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 09 Jul 2019, 23:38

[size=37]Felicity Jones Joins George Clooney Netflix ‘Good Morning, Midnight’ Film Adaptation[/size]

By Anthony D'Alessandro, Amanda N'Duka
July 9, 2019 9:51am

MediaPunch/Shutterstock
EXCLUSIVE: Sources tell us that Felicity Jones is set to co-star in George Clooney’s untitled Netflix movie which is an adaptation of Lily Brooks-Dalton’s 2016 novel Good Morning, Midnight. Her role is being kept under wraps.
Two-time Oscar winner Clooney is attached to direct and star in the movie which is being adapted by The Revenant scribe Mark L. Smith. The post-apocalyptic drama follows the parallel stories of Augustine (Clooney), a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to make contact with the crew of the Aether spacecraft as they try to return home to Earth.
Clooney and Grant Heslov are producing the pic under their Smokehouse Pictures banner with Anonymous Content and Syndicate Entertainment, who sourced the material. Production is slated to begin in October.
Jones, who received an Oscar nom for her lead performance in The Theory of Everything, stars in Amazon/Mandeville Films’ Tom Harper-directed Aeronautsfilm, out later this year. Her past credits include On the Basis of Sex, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and A Monster Calls.
Jones’ reps are WME, Independent Talent, and Peikhoff Mahan.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Wed 10 Jul 2019, 23:32

I like Felicity Jones....I'm assuming she's playing the part of Sully, the astronaut.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 14 Jul 2019, 23:39

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 15 Jul 2019, 00:50

[size=30]George Clooney to Film in Iceland This Fall[/size]

By Larissa Kyzer
  Posted July 14, 2019 
 In [size=15]CULTURENEWS
[/size]

George Clooney will be filming his next movie in Iceland this fall. Backstage.com reports that Clooney will both star in and direct Good Morning, Midnight, a post-apocalyptic drama based on the 2016 novel of the same name by Lily Brooks-Dalton.
The story follows “two isolated survivors [as they] try to maintain contact to help each other navigate the circumstances.” One of these is Augustine (played by Clooney), a scientist in the Arctic, and another is an astronaut on a spaceship attempting to return to Earth. English actress Felicity Jones will be co-starring in the film, although her role has yet to be confirmed.
The movie is being produced for Netflix and will be filmed in both the UK and Iceland, starting in October. Netflix has a demonstrated fondness for Iceland, both as a filming location and a destination. Several of its notable series were filmed in the country in recent years—Sense8, Black Mirror, and Lost in Space, among them—and the streaming giant also made headlines in Iceland earlier this month when it brought 900 of its employees to the country on a work-sponsored vacation.

Felicity JonesFilmFilmingGeorge ClooneyNetflix

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Tue 16 Jul 2019, 21:10

How can he be already ready to shoot? Incredible.

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 16 Jul 2019, 23:33

They won't start shooting until October. That's almost 3 months from now. Plenty of time to rest up and prepare. Mark Smith is adapting the screenplay, so all George has to do is read it to decide how he wants to direct - and learn his lines, of course! Very Happy
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 23 Aug 2019, 23:12

Another cast member announced

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 23 Aug 2019, 23:14

David Oyelowo Joins George Clooney in ‘Good Morning, Midnight’ Adaptation (EXCLUSIVE)
By JUSTIN KROLL

Justin Kroll

Film Reporter@https://twitter.com/krolljvarFOLLOW

Justin's Most Recent Stories

CREDIT: TAYLOR JEWELL/INVISION/AP/SHUTTE

David Oyelowo is in final negotiations to join George Clooney in Netflix’s untitled adaptation of Lily Brooks-Dalton’s 2016 novel “Good Morning, Midnight,” sources tell Variety.

Felicity Jones and Kyle Chandler are also on board, with Clooney set to helm the pic — his first feature film directing gig since 2017’s “Suburbicon.” “The Revenant” screenwriter Mark L. Smith penned the script.

The post-apocalyptic tale follows the parallel stories of Augustine (Clooney), a lonely scientist in the Arctic, and an astronaut on board the Aether spacecraft, which is trying to return home to Earth, as Augustine races to make contact with the spaceship. Oyelowo’s role is being kept under wraps.

Clooney and Smokehouse Pictures’ Grant Heslov will produce alongside Anonymous Content and Syndicate Entertainment, who sourced the material. Production is expected to start in October.

Oyelowo most recently had a leading role in the BBC and PBS Masterpiece six-part adaptation of “Les Miserables,” on which he also serves as executive producer. The drama premiered on PBS on April 14. He is also producing, through his Yoruba Saxon banner, and starring opposite Angelina Jolie in the fantasy adventure “Come Away.”

Other recent credits include directing “The Water Man” for ShivHans Pictures and Harpo Films and appearing in the upcoming “Peter Rabbit 2.” He is repped by Hamilton Hodell and CAA, as well as Schreck Rose Dapello Adams Berlin & Dunham.

P

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 24 Aug 2019, 09:42

The film also marks his first directing gig since Paramount’s “Suburbicon” in 2017 and the first film he has starred in since 2016’s “Money Monster” for Sony.
Wow! I can't believe how long it's been. I keep thinking Suburbicon was just this year, or maybe late last year. By the time this comes out, it'll have been three years since his last full-time directing job.

Time to get excited!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 24 Aug 2019, 15:03

I think you have to count "Catch 22", even though he directed only two of the six episodes. Since he was also producing and acting I think he made the right choice.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 25 Aug 2019, 18:37

Oh yeah. Forgot about Catch 22 - maybe because I haven't seen it yet.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 25 Aug 2019, 20:58

'Fans of Emily St. John Mandel's Station Eleven and Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora will appreciate the Brooks-Dalton's exquisite exploration of relationships.' Washington Post
Augustine, a brilliant, ageing scientist, is consumed by the stars. He has spent his entire life searching for the origins of time itself. He has now been left alone on a remote research base in the Arctic circle, all communication with the outside world broken down. But then he discovers a mysterious child, Iris, who must have hidden herself away when the last of his colleagues departed.
Sully is a divorced mother. She is also an astronaut, currently aboard The Aether on a return flight from Jupiter. This is the culmination of her career, the very reason for all the sacrifices she has made - the daughter she left behind, the marriage she couldn't save. But then something goes wrong with the ship's communication system.
Marooned in the vast silence of space and the achingly beautiful sweep of the Arctic, both Augustine and Sully must find a way to make peace with the choices they have made and find a path to redemption.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 25 Aug 2019, 21:09

Katie, I was really looking forward to this until I read the synopsis you posted. Sad It sounds awfully depressing - kind of reminiscent of Sandy Bullock's character in "Gravity", except from two viewpoints instead of one with overtones of "Solaris" thrown in. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see when it comes out.

By the way, if you have the time "Catch 22" is definitely worth a watch.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 25 Aug 2019, 21:18

Haha!  I was EXACTLY the same!  I love, love, love sci-fi so I thought I'd go and see if I could buy the book.  Then I thought, isn't this a rehash of Gravity someway?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sun 25 Aug 2019, 21:26

Which came first - the book or "Gravity"?  (I'm too lazy to look it up.) Maybe one inspired the other. Honestly, the world is depressing enough right now. I really don't want to read (or watch) someone's soul-searching crisis of faith unless it has a happy ending! Very Happy Do you know if this does?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 25 Aug 2019, 21:36

Nope, didn't get the book.  At £8 it's a bit too much for me at the moment.  I expect PAN will know - she knows everything  sunny
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 26 Aug 2019, 01:17

I really like the basis of this story. I always preferred George taking on serious characters in his movies. He’s so good at portraying that inner angst, brooding type like Michael Clayton or Jack in ‘The American’. This one sounds terrific to me ... if done right. Maybe this one will have a happy or at least optimistic ending Very Happy
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 26 Aug 2019, 19:22

Katie - here is a possibly job opportunity!!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:43

Nope. Read it. No happy endings, but character building situations. Its more about ppl learning that sacrifices can mean someone in the human race may survive it all.

Remember that there is an apocalypse of which nobody knows how it happened, and everyone who survives, still faces whatever that will turn up.

So the question is how will they fare, when and if they do manage to land? Its an open ended story that leaves one wondering if there will be a second installment.

The excitement will be in how it is filmed and made to look, as a story as well as an apocalyptic type of film. The magic will be good script, good acting and well chosen cast who can bring it alive and make it come across with all the emotions involved in the story.

I believe so far, there are some very good choices with actors. They may be just what this film needs. And there should be at least two more, and a small girl. 6 astronauts in the story on the ship returning from Jupiter.

It has a lot of surprises, that well crafted in sequence as written, may be just what brings the element of strength for this film, along with a good cast and well directed scenes.

Here is hoping this one will be the one that does for him what he may still be looking for. It has all the elements that could do it, even tho its a small film  situation.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 27 Aug 2019, 21:17

Thanks NotAvailable! You make so many insightful points. George likes to undertake challenging projects that don’t necessarily come with happy endings. So I’m not surprised by this choice. Like you I hope George can bring all the important elements of this story and its characters to the screen successfully!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 28 Aug 2019, 01:52

This will be an interesting exercise for George, I think. There is no void in his personal life (that we know of) anymore, so I wonder if it will be difficult for him to reach the core of this character. Personally, I don't think he could play Micheal Clayton or Ryan Bingham (Up in the Air) now as well as he did before his big life change.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 28 Aug 2019, 14:23

Way2Old - You may be right. I always thought that in many ways Ryan Bingham was autobiographical and so not much of a stretch for him, Now that he's happily settled down he might have to dig deep for this role. I guess we'll see how good an actor he really is. Smile
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 28 Aug 2019, 15:09

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? My feeling is that he's not very confident in his acting abilities. I think he sees himself as a competent acting personality, rather than simply an actor. Why else would he worry about aging on camera, unless he thinks his stock is mostly in his looks? I happen to think he's a terrific actor, but needs certain material to bring it out - as opposed to, say, Meryl Streep and Daniel Day-Lewis, who can elevate anything. It goes against popular opinion, but I think things like the Coen bros "comedies" make George play down a level. Never figured out why he trusts them so much.

On the other hand, maybe his success as a husband and father have instilled a new confidence in his approach to his acting.

Either way, it will be interesting to watch.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 28 Aug 2019, 16:13

Just a thought: How much of his insecurity as an actor is a result of a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy? He played into the image of jet-setting super-cool bachelor for a very long time - an image he contributed to, if not created. Could it be that promoting the image undercut his confidence in his acting ability or did it spring from his lack of confidence to begin with?  scratch
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 30 Aug 2019, 17:54

I think that's a chicken and egg question, Lizzy. I think everyone has that voice of doubt in their head (that's everyone normal, I mean) and with acting being so nebulous that it's hard to tell if you're really good or not, all of that criticism over the years has got to have some affect on a person?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 Aug 2019, 21:06

Katie - I think you're right. He started his career sort of on a whim, without any real training, so I guess any confidence he has in his acting ability has come after years of learning his craft and being praised by his peers for his work.

I think now that he doesn't have to worry about building a career he's testing his limits as an actor. I hope he can silence those voices of insecurity all actors have in their heads.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Fri 30 Aug 2019, 23:51

From the synopsis of Good Morning Midnight, it sounds like it could be a really different acting opportunity for George too. Maybe a chance to stretch himself and dig deeper. Perhaps not a physically transformative role, but a role that will require more from him emotionally.....

Those of you who have read the book could probably speak more to that than me. But if the role has some meat to it, I can't wait to watch him bring something new to the table.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 31 Aug 2019, 00:19

I think the building blocks for George are there for him.
Michael Clayton, Syriana, The American, The Descendants, Up In the Air all required a bit of looking inward emotionally and bringing those feelings successfully to the screen. He did that. I’ve always thought George was solid with his acting. He is still a work in progress on a directorial level. This role sounds like a natural for him to undertake.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 31 Aug 2019, 01:10

I haven't read the book, so I don't know how complex the character is or what challenges he faces. It could be a milestone in George's career, depending on how well written the script is. I have always felt he does well when given a solid script. He's a good director and an even better actor. IMO, writing is his weak point. I'm glad someone else is writing the script for this.

I must say, the more I hear about this project the more depressing it sounds
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 31 Aug 2019, 04:14

The first clue will be if he looks old, life-beaten, and haggard (at least, at the beginning of the story, judging from the synopsis), rather than like a vintage McDreamy. I think he's going to have to not look like himself in order to look into himself for this role.

Speculating. I'm taking everyone's word that the book is good and the character is complex, when actually I have no real knowledge at all.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 31 Aug 2019, 06:53

McDreamy?? MCDREAMY???! Wrong ER doctor, sunshine. I'm going to have to revoke your Clooney-fan licence if this continues, W2O4D!

Deep breath.

I'm not so convinced by George's acting recently. Up In The Air, The American and all are heading for 10 years ago now and I thought he was really getting somewhere then. But nowadays? I'm not so sure. It'll be good if this role doesn't require him to make silly faces, which he seems to think is his stock in trade, but I've had enough of it. Good if he can keep away from so-called comedy roles for a while so we can limit the amount of on-screen gurning.

I'm also worried that we'll just see a resurgence of what I call 'grumpy George' acting, which recently seems to be his default serious mode. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be nice to see subtleties of facial expression and a feeling of something going on inside his head, rather than the one-note acting he seems to be coming up with recently.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 31 Aug 2019, 13:20

Katie - I think the "one note acting" he's done lately was because the parts didn't call for anything more - and it made it easier for him to just "call it in" so he could concentrate on directing. Besides, I think he enjoys the Cary Grant type mugging he gets to do in comedies more than serious roles. It's closer to his real nature.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 31 Aug 2019, 16:48

The Coen Bros-inspired mugging would be inappropriate for something like this, but Katie's right, he can't do the Tomorrowland character for this, either. But we know he has a lot to bring to this role. Sci-fi is not my thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing him in this.

And I must apologize. I was using "McDreamy" in the generic sense. Mea culpa. Know your audience. Therefore, correction: "... vintage Doug Ross."

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 31 Aug 2019, 20:27

I love sci-fi, but not the depressing dystopian stuff that's taken over the genre in the last few years. That's why I'm having second thoughts about this film. I'm hoping it's more like Gravity than Tomorrowland or any of the super-hero, save-the-universe clones that are everywhere today. It doesn't have to have a happy ending, but it would be nice if it wasn't all doom and gloom.

George is a smart man. He chose to do this role for a reason, and I choose to think it's because he wants to challenge himself with something more difficult than what he's been doing recently. If he takes it seriously I'm sure he'll do it well.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by kat19 Sun 01 Sep 2019, 08:48

He hasn't done anything truly great since The Descendants and Gravity....I'm hoping for his sake and ours, that this one is a winner.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Felicity Jones in this.

kat19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down