George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST

+2
it's me
party animal - not!
6 posters

Go down

Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST Empty Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST

Post by party animal - not! Tue 12 Sep 2017, 17:39

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST Empty Re: Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST

Post by it's me Tue 12 Sep 2017, 22:47

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST Empty Re: Hand in Hand Telethon tonight 8 pm EST

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 Sep 2017, 01:06

Live now

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 13 Sep 2017, 09:40

carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 13 Sep 2017, 09:58

So they collected more than $44 millions - and also talked about the massive destruction in the Carribics as well, which us something we tend to forget when 'we' suffer as well...:

ABC News

Hand in Hand telethon raises more than $44 million for hurricane survivors

By LESLEY MESSER

MICK MULLANEY

Sep 13, 2017, 4:02 AM ET

Kevin Mazur/Hand in Hand/Getty Images

A-list celebrities came out in droves on Monday night to take part in the Hand in Hand hurricane relief benefit, which raised more than $44 million for the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

During the telethon, Stephen Colbert announced that Apple was donating $5 million and Jimmy Fallon added that Albertsons Cos. and Merck each gave $1 million.

NBA star Chris Paul also said that the NBA Players Association, which donated $500,000, would match any professional basketball player's donation up to $20,000.

"We come together today to love on people that have been devastated by the hurricanes," Stevie Wonder, who sang "Lean on Me," said at the start of the telethon. "When love goes into action, it preferences no color of skin, no ethnicity, no religious beliefs, no sexual preferences, and no political persuasions. It just loves."

Justin Timberlake attends Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Relief at Universal Studios AMC on Sept. 12, 2017 in Universal City, Calif.more +

Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Relief: What to expect from the telethon for survivors of Harvey and Irma

Hurricanes Harvey and Irma may have caused up to $200 billion in damage, comparable to Katrina

Throughout the hour-long benefit, which was broadcast on four networks, including ABC, celebrities stressed the importance of unity. However, the current politic climate was referenced at several points. In video addresses, Drake admitted that that news cycle recently has been "extremely overwhelming," while Beyonce noted that, "it's impossible to watch the news without seeing violence or racism in this country."

"Just when you think it couldn’t possibly get worse, natural disasters take take precious life, do massive damage, and forever change lives, leaving behind contaminated water, flooded hospitals, schools, and nursing homes and countless families are now homeless," she continued. “Natural disasters don’t discriminate. They don’t see if you’re an immigrant, black or white, Hispanic or Asian, Jewish or Muslim, wealthy or poor. It doesn’t matter if you’re from [Houston neighborhoods] Third Ward or River Oaks, we’re all in this together.”

Oprah Winfrey and Cher attend Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Relief at Universal Studios AMC on Sept. 12, 2017 in Universal City, Calif.more +

Beyonce, a Houston native, also touched on climate change, pointing out other natural disasters that have taken place around the world in the past few weeks, including flooding inIndia and an earthquake in Mexico. Wonder also discussed the issue, and had harsh words for climate change deniers.

"Anyone who believes that there is no such thing as global warming must be blind or unintelligent," he said.

The telethon was also punctuated by stars including Kerry Washington, Sean "Diddy" Combs;Oprah Winfrey and Cher; and Justin Timberlake telling stories of those who were directly impacted by the hurricanes, as well as performances in locations around the country. In Nashville, Usher and Blake Shelton sang "Stand By Me," while George Strait, Miranda Lambert, Chris Stapleton, Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett sang "Texas" and "I Believe" from San Antonio. Other performances included Luis Fonsi and Tori Kelly singing "Hallelujah," Brad Paisley, Demi Lovato, Darius Rucker, Cece Winans performing "With a Little Help from My Friends," and Dave Matthews singing "Mercy."

"This is what we can give people with our donations tonight. We can't bring back what they lost, but we can help them know where to take the next step and provide some solid footing for them to place their next foot. A path to stability. To a place where they can rebuild,"Matthew McConaughey told viewers. "This is what they need and this is what we can give them."

Also answering phones during the telethon: Justin Bieber, George Clooney, Julianne Moore,Bruce Willis, Sofia Vergara, Oprah Winfrey, Julia Roberts, among others. Billy Crystal closed the telethon thanking everyone at all the call centers, and reminding people that the phone lines and donation centers will be open all night. He concluded, "This is what America is really all about."

Comic Relief USA, the nonprofit behind Idol Gives Back, will manage the donations and distribute them to organizations including the Rebuild Texas Fund, Feeding Texas, Habitat for Humanity and United Way of Greater Houston.

Originally, the Hand in Hand telethon was meant to benefit the victims of Hurricane Harvey in Texas. It was later expanded to include those affected by Irma, which hit the southeast this weekend. It has been estimated that the storms caused between $150 billion and $290 billion in damage to Texas and Florida.

At least 70 people died during Hurricane Harvey, and 22 deaths have been reported in the U.S. from Hurricane Irma.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:03

And I really hope that the show will be on youtube soon to be able to watch it as well - since for me, the show started at 2 a.m.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:08

Carol, it's still here............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:17

George isn't looking at all bad...............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:48

PAN,
thanks for the link, I had just checked the twitter link above...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Sep 2017, 14:24

Carolhathaway - ABC News reports they raised $44 million? Odd. The press here is reporting $14 million. That's a big difference. I thought $14 million was pretty low, but $44 million seems kind of high - unless a lot of large contributions came in after they went off the air. I wonder if they'll release an official total.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 13 Sep 2017, 16:30

Lizzy,
I was confused at first when I checked it this morning, there were lots of different numbers around, most of it due to the different currencies of the countries who reported about this event.

At they end of the show they announced that they raised $ 14.5 million which I thought was pretty low as well, especially since during the show they had announced that Michael Dell and his wife donated $10 million and Apple $ 5 million, which alone would make sum up to more than the announced $ 14.5. But they also announced that the lines would be open all night, so maybe many people called later and they also added these huge donations later as well.

IMO it's plausible since most of the reports were written shortly after the show had finished, while ABC reported about it this morning so should be more up-to-date.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Sep 2017, 21:32

Carolhathaway - I think you're right. Just read in the late edition of the News that they raised $44 million. I guess the money kept coming in long after the show ended. It won't be enough to get things back to even near-normal, but every penny will help. I'm still waiting to read that Trump's $1 million check for Harvey relief to clear.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Sep 2017, 21:41

Lizzy did you see the list of charities the money Trump gave is going too?

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Sep 2017, 22:01

Annemarie - No. I haven't seen anything since they announced he would be donating  the money. Have you seen a list?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 Sep 2017, 22:04

Is it me? Or has it gone remarkably quiet on that front........?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Sep 2017, 22:21

Here it is this is what the list the White House released

• Reach out America -- $100,000

• Red Cross -- $300,000

• Salvation Army -- $300,000

• Samaritan's Purse -- $100,000

• ASPCA -- $25,000

• Catholic Charities -- $25,000

• Direct Relief -- $25,000

• Habitat for Humanity -- $25,000

• Houston Humane Society -- $25,000

• Operation Blessing -- $25,000

• Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies -- $25,000

• Team Rubicon -- $25,000

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Sep 2017, 22:38

annemarie - Did they say whether or not he has actually sent the money? He has a history of promising but not following trough.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 13 Sep 2017, 22:50

In Germany there were always many charity organizations like the Red Cross, UNICEF, churches etc. who asked for donations after a natural disaster or a famine somewhere in the world. A few years ago, more than 20 of these organizations decided to unite, they founded an 'umbrella organizatiin' called 'Deutschland hilft' (Germany helps), which is collecting money nonstop. At the moment they raise money for Yemen, Syria and several African countries, and for the damage Irma left in the Caribbean and also the taypoon in Southeast Asia. Donators can decide if they want to donate for a disaster in particular or in general. It lowers the management expenses, and since one of Germany's former presidents is the president of this lliance, it's as reliable as possible, I guess.

Sorry, it's a bit OT, but when I read the list of organizations Trump split his $1 million to, this just came to my mind...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Sep 2017, 22:51

Here is what was stated:

Trump's longtime secretary Rhona Graff, who still works at the Trump Organization, has begun phoning nonprofit groups that will receive a personal donation.
"We just received notification by phone that a personal donation from President Trump has been made to Direct Relief and a check is being sent by mail," Direct Relief spokesman Tony Morain told CNN on Wednesday afternoon.
He confirmed Graff made the call.
CNN has reached out to the other organizations to confirm whether they have received a call or donation yet.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Sep 2017, 22:56

I placed the article on the serious side.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Sep 2017, 23:06

Thanks, Annemarie. Thumbs up!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 Sep 2017, 23:30

Interesting. He doesn't do online banking.......?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 20 Sep 2017, 20:18

They collected more than $55 million altogether:

Variety

Editions: 
  U.S  Global  Asia 
[size]

Subscribe Today!

[/size]

• FILM 
  • TV 
  • DIGITAL 
  • MUSIC 
  • CONTENDERS 
  • VIDEO 
  • DIRT 
  • SCENE 
  • MORE

• SIGN IN

• HOME

• TV

• NEWS

[size]

[size=47]‘Hand in Hand’ Hurricane Relief Telethon Raises More Than $55 Million[/size]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Erin Nyren

Staff Writer@ecnyren

[/size]

• [url=https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hand-in-hand-hurricane-relief-telethon-final-donation-count-1202564642/&title=%E2%80%98Hand in Hand%E2%80%99 Hurricane Relief Telethon Raises More Than $55 million&sdk=joey&display=popup&ref=plugin&src=share_button&app_id=278816682243900][/url]

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hand-in-hand-hurricane-relief-telethon-final-donation-count-1202564642/&text=%E2%80%98Hand in Hand%E2%80%99 Hurricane Relief Telethon Raises More Than %2455 million&via=variety][/url]

• [url=https://www.tumblr.com/widgets/share/tool/preview?shareSource=legacy&canonicalUrl&url=http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hand-in-hand-hurricane-relief-telethon-final-donation-count-1202564642/&posttype=link&title=%E2%80%98Hand in Hand%E2%80%99 Hurricane Relief Telethon Raises More Than $55 Million][/url]

• [url=http://pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hand-in-hand-hurricane-relief-telethon-final-donation-count-1202564642/&description=%E2%80%98Hand in Hand%E2%80%99 Hurricane Relief Telethon Raises More Than $55 Million][/url]

• [url=http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hand-in-hand-hurricane-relief-telethon-final-donation-count-1202564642/&title=%E2%80%98Hand in Hand%E2%80%99 Hurricane Relief Telethon Raises More Than $55 Million][/url]

[size]

[/size]
YOUTUBE SCREENSHOT
[size]
SEPTEMBER 20, 2017 | 10:35AM PT
“Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Relief” announced Wednesday that the hourlong telethon featuring the likes of Justin Bieber, Beyonce, and George Clooney had raised more than $55 million, which will aid the victims of both hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
A whopping $14 million was raised during the live telethon, while the remaining $41 million was collected after the event had ended. Stephen Colbert announced during the telethon that Apple had donated $5 million, with Albertsons Co. and Meck donating $1 million each.

RELATED

TV Ratings: ‘Hand in Hand’ Hurricane Telethon Draws 15.7 Million Viewers on Broadcast

Comic Relief USA, the organization behind Red Nose Day, will take the reins in distributing the funds from “Hand in Hand” to the organization’s partnered charities, including Rebuild Texas Fund, Habitat for Humanity, Save the Children, Feeding Florida, Feeding Texas, Direct Relief, ASPCA, Best Friends Animal Society, United Way of Greater Houston, United Way Irma Recovery Fund, and the Mayor’s Fund for Hurricane Harvey Relief (administered through the Greater Houston Community Foundation).

“Our team is focused on getting funds out to work on the ground as quickly as possible while donations are still coming in,” Comic Relief USA CEO Janet Scardino said. “The incredible response and generosity of millions of Americans is going to make such a difference for so many people who really need our help in the aftermath of these devastating hurricanes.”
“Hand in Hand” was broadcast live on several television, radio, and streaming networks, garnering an audience of more than 40 million viewers across all platforms combined. The one-hour special featured appearances, performances, and messages of support from more than 130 celebrities, musicians, and personalities from four different locations.

FILED UNDER:

[/size]

• Hand in Hand
  • Hurricane Harvey
  • Hurricane Irma

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.

Post A Comment 0
[size]
[ltr]Recommended For You[/ltr]

[ltr][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][size=14][size=14]Danielle Bregoli is BHAD BHABIE - "These Heaux" (Official Music VIdeo)[/size][/ltr][/size]

[/size]
[size=39]Play Video[/size]
[size]

[ltr]Sponsored Content[/ltr]
[/size]

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]6 Simple Tools to Keep your Job Applications OrganizedTaledo Blog

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Is Bacon as dangerous as smoking?Mealz

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Could This Be The #1 Trick to Reverse Hearing Loss (Do This Tonight)healthnewstips.today

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]20 Cars that are Plummeting in ValueBuzzdrives.com

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Vegetable Cottage Cheese QuicheMealz: Healthy Eating Platform

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]This Woman 'Treat' Her Nail Fungus in 10 Minutes, Watch Howhealthnewstips.today

[ltr]Recommended by[/ltr]
[size]

[ltr]Sponsored Content[/ltr]
[/size]

• [ltr][ltr]34 Surprising Tattoos That Create Optical Illusions[/ltr] [ltr]Funtof[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]No Bake Caramel Cheesecake[/ltr] [ltr]Mealz: Healthy Eating Platform[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]Bill Gates Admits 'Holy Grail' Technology Could Change Everything[/ltr] [ltr]thedailylifers[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]Scratching This Part of Your Body is a Sign of Alzheimer's[/ltr][ltr]memoryrepairprotocol.com[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]Bitcoin crossed the $4,000 mark. Kicking yourself for not investing on time?[/ltr] [ltr]Todery[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]Hypothyroidism[/ltr] [ltr]Mealz: Healthy Eating Platform[/ltr][/ltr]

[size]
[ltr]More From Variety[/ltr]
[/size]

• [ltr][ltr]Adam Levine Slams ‘Utterly Horrible’ VMAs[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]TV Review: Ken Burns’ Documentary ‘The Vietnam War’[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]Daniel Dae Kim, Grace Park Exit ‘Hawaii Five-0’[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]Laura Benanti Exits ‘Supergirl’; CW Recasts Role[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]Variety TV Critics Debate Sean Spicer, Stephen Colbert and More From Emmys 2017[/ltr][/ltr]
  • [ltr][ltr]Hollywood Mourns Death of ‘Legendary’ Harry Dean Stanton: ‘The Definition of Cool’[/ltr][/ltr]

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    TV

‘Game of Thrones’: HBO Developing Fifth Prequel Series

FILM

Jake LaMotta, Real-Life ‘Raging Bull’ Boxer, Dies at 95

FILM

Fox’s Stacey Snider on Sexism, Future of Wolverine and Alien

TV

Inside the Secrets, Scandals and Legacy of ‘Full House’

[size]

[ltr]TRENDING[/ltr]
[/size]

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Kylie Jenner’s Lip Evolution: Photos Of Her Changing Pout

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]2017 Emmy Awards’ Worst-Dressed Celebs — Red Carpet Pics

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Easy Spirit’s Getting a Modern Makeover to Attract a Younger…

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Reese Witherspoon Re-Wears Christian Louboutin Colankle…

VARIETY JOBS

• Creative Development Coordinator

Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
  • Account/Project Coordinator (Ad Agency)

Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
  • Media Specialist

Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
  • Executive Director, Aspen Film

Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
  • Associate Director, YouTuber & Gamer Partnerships

Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut
  • See More Jobs

[size]

Leave a Reply

NO COMMENTS

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

MORE TV NEWS FROM VARIETY

[/size]

The Power of Content

Daily Deals: The 5 Best Sales for You to Shop Today

Netflix Greenlights Comedy From Natasha Lyonne, Leslye Headland…

Check Out Christian Louboutin's Very First Baby Shoes for Goop

Sabrina-Centric Riverdale Spinoff in Development at The CW

'Sabrina the Teenage Witch' Gets a Dark Coming-of-Age Horror…

Subscribe to Variety Today!

ALL THE WAYS TO GET VARIETY

• Online Subscription
  • Print Subscription
  • Mobile Apps
  • Newsletters
  • News Alerts

• Archives
  • Slanguage Dictionary
  • Help

OTHER VARIETY PRODUCTS

• Media:
  • Variety 411

• Research & Data:
  • Variety Insight
  • Archives

• Premium Email Alerts

• Real Estate
  • Jobs

• ACCESS THE BEST ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY DATA AVAILABLE
  • VIEW THE VARIETY ARCHIVES DATING BACK TO 1905
  • GET NEWS DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX

• Privacy Policy

• Your Privacy Rights

• Terms of Use

• About Us

• Advertise

• Contact Us

• Google+

The Power of Content

• Deadline
  • india.com
  • Hollywoodlife
  • TV Line
  • GOLDDERBY
  • WWD
  • Footwearnews

© Copyright 2017 Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC.