George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
March 2017 chit chat EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
March 2017 chit chat EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
March 2017 chit chat EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
March 2017 chit chat EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
March 2017 chit chat EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
March 2017 chit chat EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
March 2017 chit chat EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
March 2017 chit chat EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
March 2017 chit chat EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

March 2017 chit chat

+9
party animal - not!
Joanna
Donnamarie
LizzyNY
ladybugcngc
PigPen
Way2Old4Dis
Sevens
Katiedot
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

March 2017 chit chat Empty March 2017 chit chat

Post by Katiedot Wed 01 Mar 2017, 09:16

Way2Old4Dis wrote:So, my take on the Oscars...

My ballot hit every "major" award except I had Denzel Washington for Best Actor in a Lead.

But here's what I think about the Best Picture Nominees.

In a perfect world, 'Lion' would have won. It was the only one in the bunch that had all the elements of a standout motion picture. The rest hit on just one, two, or a few, or missed most or all by a hair.

'Hidden Figures' should not have been nominated. I'm proud as hell that the movie got made and the story got told, but the screenplay, acting, directing, and cinematography did not elevate itself enough above the crowd. IMO.

I don't like musicals, so 'LaLa Land' would probably never get my vote, but I do not consider a picture for the 'Best' category just because it's 'different' and pretty.

'Manchester by the Sea' may be the most overrated movie since 'The English Patient.' I didn't like anything except the story, and that just barely. All of the emotional moments fell flat, IMO. There is a fine line between 'controlled' and 'falsely emotional,' and I think they mostly came down on the wrong side of that line during critical times. And what the hell was that loud, irritating, and totally out of place score during the critical scene? Casey Affleck does not deserve the accolades for this one. Did. Not. Like. It.

'Fences' was good, and the acting excellent, but I think Washington was too much of a purist about sticking to the play. Minor complaint, and I probably wouldn't complain if it had won, but I think I know why it didn't.

'Hell or High Water' would have been my second choice. Story, acting, directing -- all A-game. But not as good as 'Lion' as far as the 'look and feel' of the production.

'Moonlight' was beautifully shot, especially if you consider the budget and schedule. It may be one of the best really indie movies ever made, as far as production value goes. But at its heart, the story isn't all that unique, and the actors had to lift the dialogue, as far as I'm concerned. I picked it to win, and I know a lot of people love this movie, but it is not a great movie. Love the fact that they didn't invent a part for a name white actor just to get it made, though. All Black people. Yay!

'Hacksaw Ridge:' Good-to-excellent story, good directing, great cinematography, average acting. So it's a just-missed for me.

I have yet to see 'Arrival.'
Just copying this post over from the other chit chat thread in case anyone wants to respond here. I haven't seen any of these films so can't comment.

Loved your mention of the English Patient. That was a film that I well and truly loved and must have watched it close to 50 times. But not recently. It happened to be on tv a while back so I sat down to indulge and boy, what a load of rubbish! It really hasn't aged well. I guess I'd have to see it again to figure out what it's suddenly lost that I loved so much.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

March 2017 chit chat Empty Re: March 2017 chit chat

Post by Sevens Wed 01 Mar 2017, 11:31

OMG, Way2 you're actually a member of the Academy! We were chatting with an Oscar voter all the time? Here COH rules! YAY
Remember you said before that you didn't like George&Coens collaborations, so here's hoping that "Suburbicon" could end up being good enough to get your vote this year. I happen to LOVE both the Coens and George. They're my favorite directors at the moment.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very informative.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 01 Mar 2017, 12:04

I've seen Arrival, LA LA LAND, Hacksaw Ridge in theaters and Manchester, Moonlight and Hell or High Water on my computer. I also happen to like Sully which wasn't nominated.
LA LA Land and Hacksaw felt great with their sound mix and cinematography on big screen. Enjoyed both. Arrival was a bizarre, calm and subtle sci-fi movie. Didn't like it a lot, though Amy Adams gave a career-high performance. A sad snub for her. The Chinese twist at the end felt out of place to me.
Loved Moonlight. Didn't like Manchester, Casey was good but the messy pace and editing was killing me! Hell or High Water was a solid not great western crime drama.
About to watch Fences in a couple of days.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 01 Mar 2017, 14:01

Sevens -

I am not a member of the Academy. I'm barely a member of the industry. By 'ballot,' I meant one of those fun little voting sheets that agencies or production companies send out during awards season. It's like a sports pool, except the one with the highest correct picks wins something totally meaningless.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 02 Mar 2017, 05:14

Way2Old4Dis wrote: It's like a sports pool, except the one with the highest correct picks wins something totally meaningless.
Like a VHS video of Leatherheads, for example?

I'll see myself out.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:41

Ha!

I was in a used book & DVD store last week, and the 'vintage' section had VHS videos. 'Leatherheads' was in the free bin.

And there were several copies.

Literally can't give that movie away.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:55

Let's not forget The Good German ( though Lord knows I've tried)

I, for one, will never understand why it didn't get a nod from Oscar.  Or a lawsuit from the studio that released Casablanca.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:03

I hated George's character in that movie. Complete chump from start to finish.

And the worst, most superficial sense of 'urgency' and false 'intrigue' ever put to a major film.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:31

Katiedot wrote:Like a VHS video of Leatherheads, for example?  

I'll see myself out.
Katie I would like to say something about Leatherheads if you don't mind.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 02 Mar 2017, 16:51

Embarassed Embarassed I thought Leatherheads was cute - stupidly self-indulgent, but cute. Embarassed Embarassed (Way2Old, I'll understand if you think I'm an idiot!) Totally agree on the rest, though.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:24

Lizzy, I would never think you're an idiot. To each his own. Personally, I watch One Fine Day whenever it's on TV. I think it's a sweet and underrated romantic comedy.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:28

BTW, Leatherheads was originally a 'dramedy,' a drama with comedic elements. When George became attached, he rewrote it as a comedy...

... But not enough to get writing credit, according to the Writers Guild.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:50

ladybugcngc wrote:
Katiedot wrote:Like a VHS video of Leatherheads, for example?  

I'll see myself out.
Katie I would like to say something about Leatherheads if you don't mind.

Ladybug, please speak your mind. Why are you asking for permission?

I'm embarrassed to say I have not seen 'The Good German'. Probably because I've not heard anything positive about it ... except for the fact that George is in it. Is there anyone who liked that movie?
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Thu 02 Mar 2017, 19:06

I'm embarrassed to say I have not seen 'The Good German'. Probably because I've not heard anything positive about it ... except for the fact that George is in it. Is there anyone who liked that movie?

J. Paul Boehmer, who had a small part as the Brit press guy. He said he liked it. Called it a "thriller."

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 02 Mar 2017, 19:51

Donnamarie wrote:
ladybugcngc wrote:Katie I would like to say something about Leatherheads if you don't mind.

Ladybug,  please speak your mind.  Why are you asking for permission?

I'm embarrassed to say I have not seen 'The Good German'.  Probably because I've not heard anything positive about it ... except for the fact that George is in it.  Is there anyone who liked that movie?  
Sometime back Katie stated maybe it was better if I didn't post;  I told her I would honor that request. I have a heart felt opinion on "Leatherheads" and thought to ask  if I could share that.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 02 Mar 2017, 20:18

Way2Old4Dis wrote:Lizzy, I would never think you're an idiot. To each his own. Personally, I watch One Fine Day whenever it's on TV. I think it's a sweet and underrated romantic comedy.
Very Happy I watch One Fine Day whenever it's on, too! I love the scenes with him and his daughter. The other stuff is ok, too, but the scenes with her and the kitten are totally charming. Preview of things to come? Very Happy

PS - I  am one of the least romantic people on the planet. I don't mind rom-coms because of the humor, but flat-out romantic movies make me gag and I usually don't make it through the whole film. I'd rather see a political drama or thriller or sci-fi flick - even an animated kids' movie is better.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 02 Mar 2017, 23:46

ladybugcngc wrote:
Donnamarie wrote:
ladybugcngc wrote:Katie I would like to say something about Leatherheads if you don't mind.

Ladybug,  please speak your mind.  Why are you asking for permission?

I'm embarrassed to say I have not seen 'The Good German'.  Probably because I've not heard anything positive about it ... except for the fact that George is in it.  Is there anyone who liked that movie?  
Sometime back Katie stated maybe it was better if I didn't post;  I told her I would honor that request. I have a heart felt opinion on "Leatherheads" and thought to ask  if I could share that.

Ladybug, I didn't know Katie had made that request. I will leave it to her to respond to you. Just so you know I certainly don't mind you sharing your thoughts about George.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 03 Mar 2017, 03:18

Thanks Donna I think it's best if I continue not post my thoughts.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 03 Mar 2017, 11:53

ladybugcngc wrote:Sometime back Katie stated maybe it was better if I didn't post;  I told her I would honor that request. I have a heart felt opinion on "Leatherheads" and thought to ask  if I could share that.
 That's not true.  What I said was that in my opinion you seemed to be too uninformed about world events to usefully comment on the politics thread and I advised you not to post there.

Go ahead and say whatever you want about Leatherheads or anything else that isn't politics.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 03 Mar 2017, 14:24

Katiedot wrote:
ladybugcngc wrote:Sometime back Katie stated maybe it was better if I didn't post;  I told her I would honor that request. I have a heart felt opinion on "Leatherheads" and thought to ask  if I could share that.
 That's not true.  What I said was that in my opinion you seemed to be too uninformed about world events to usefully comment on the politics thread and I advised you not to post there.

Go ahead and say whatever you want about Leatherheads or anything else that isn't politics.
Yahooooo
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 05 Mar 2017, 15:07

I too like Leatherheads Lizzy.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sun 05 Mar 2017, 21:42

Learherheads wasn't great but it was funny enough to just sit back, relax and enjoy. A good popcorn watching movie. Coincidentally I was in my grocery store the other day and there was the dvd of "Leatherheads". On sale for $5.99. It was in good company tho. Right next to "The Green Mile", "Mystic River" and "The Departed", all for $5.99.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 13 Mar 2017, 13:00

Annemarie and Lizzy, are you guys hunkering down for the impending blizzard? Sounds like a big one. We are on the edge of this storm so maybe 5" for us.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 13 Mar 2017, 13:21

Good luck East Coasters.  I'm looking forward to upwards of 18 inches!  Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 13 Mar 2017, 13:39

PigPen - lol!   You're a glutton for punishment! Is it the thought of staying home from work that cheers you up, or do you just want to hole up with a bottle of Casamigos and some smores for a couple of days?

Honestly, it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try cleaning up before the snow even hits the ground. There's hardly any time for it to look pretty before it turns to sloppy grey slush and ice. I know it makes it easier to clean up if they start right away, but it takes all the pretty out of a snowstorm.

To anyone in the way of the storm: Stay safe and warm. Spring is on the way! flower
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 13 Mar 2017, 14:06

Spring is on the way! March 2017 chit chat Icon_flower

Yeah-  maybe by May 30th.  We get snow in April and on occasion, rare tho it is, May.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 13 Mar 2017, 14:12

Good luck over there.

Here's a lovely story about Boaty McBoatface who is trying to help us with info about global warming......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/13/boaty-mcboatface-to-go-on-first-antarctic-mission

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 13 Mar 2017, 17:15

I love that name! Really interesting story, too. I saw something online recently about arctic ice breaking away because of warming waters on the ocean floor! Because of this the salinity of the ocean water is being diluted and changing the ecostructure of the oceans. Maybe this study will shed more light on the developing changes.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 13 Mar 2017, 18:32

Angela Merkel was going to fly to Washington DC to meet with Trump, but due to the heavy snow her flight was cancelled. Now they plan to meet on Friday (so I guess he'll have to go to Florida later than planned...).
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Mon 13 Mar 2017, 19:55

party animal - not! wrote:Good luck over there.

Here's a lovely story about Boaty McBoatface who is trying to help us with info about global warming......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/13/boaty-mcboatface-to-go-on-first-antarctic-mission
Thanks PAN.  I think we're gonna need it.  This one sounds serious!

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 15 Mar 2017, 18:19

Looks like spring has sprung here in southern Germany (I'm on holiday this week). Loving the sunshine and seeing the snowdrops and crocuses out in force.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 15 Mar 2017, 18:48

Very Happy Go ahead, rub it in! The only "snowdrops" we're seeing are falling from the sky! (Although the crocuses were in bloom last week. Now they're frozen solid - just like us!)

Is everyone in the storm's path ok? PigPen, did you dig out yet? We didn't get as much snow as predicted but since it's so frigid everything is turning to ice and walking is treacherous. Spring can't come soon enough!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 17 Mar 2017, 13:56

Hummingbirds just make me happy... Happy St. Patrick's day.
March 2017 chit chat Ruby-throated-hummingbird-clip-art-760919

Last edited by ladybugcngc on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 14:40; edited 1 time in total
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 17 Mar 2017, 14:25

Yahooooo  HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope everyone has a great day.   Drink 3 Drink 2 
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Fri 17 Mar 2017, 18:29

Drink 3

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sun 19 Mar 2017, 15:11

March 2017 chit chat Wet_Cappuccino_with_heart_latte_art
Morning Coffee, in my thoughts...
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Mon 20 Mar 2017, 17:06

LizzyNY wrote: Yahooooo  HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope everyone has a great day.   Drink 3 Drink 2 

Yaaa.....it wa s a ve ry ve ry goo d one Tanks...burp hanks......Thumbs up! S oft rain in the mor nine and Sun at right....Halosuper cool
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 20 Mar 2017, 17:55

WWHS - Glad you had a good one. Hope it doesn't take too long to recover!  Smile
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Wed 22 Mar 2017, 00:35

cheers
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Fri 24 Mar 2017, 05:28

All day a heavy heart Neutral... nice to be able to hang with friends...
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 24 Mar 2017, 21:15

Hey guys,
I just realized that today is my second anniversary on COH!

Thanks for two years of news, pics and rumors about the man we all love and admire!
Thanks for two years of informations and discussions about serious issues, thanks for broadening my horizon and improving my language skills!
Thanks for great contacts!

Give Flowers Give Flowers2
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 24 Mar 2017, 21:37

Carolhathaway - Thanks right back to you! You've made COH even more interesting than it was before. I've learned so much from you about so many things. I hope you never stop posting! Give Flowers
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 24 Mar 2017, 23:43

Carol, you've been a great addition to our group. I've really enjoyed your perspective on everything George and your more serious thoughts! Keep it coming cheers
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 25 Mar 2017, 11:26

Congrats on your two-th anniversary, Carol! Long may the posts continue!

By the way, can anyone believe it's going to be April soon???
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Sat 25 Mar 2017, 15:07

Katiedot wrote:

By the way, can anyone believe it's going to be April soon???
Oh no!!!

eekout

Bye Felicia  Oi, you!
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 27 Mar 2017, 18:20

Great news! ER is back on tv here in NY! YAY! I found it by accident yesterday on Cablevision - channel 154 (POPHD), which I rarely watch. They showed the first episode last night and it's going to be on again at 3pm this afternoon. I'm not sure if it will be on the Sunday night schedule from now on, but I'm going to check it out.

I'd forgotten how good the show was and how young they all were! Noah Wiley looked like he wasn't even old enough to shave! If anyone needs a reminder of why George is GEORGE, check it out.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 27 Mar 2017, 18:32

LOL Lizzy. I was watching it too last night on POP cable. I just came upon it while I was looking for something interesting to watch besides the news! That was the one that Miguel Ferrer was in. Very sad and touching scene as were the scenes with Doug Ross and the physically abused infant and the mother. Such a great show!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 27 Mar 2017, 19:27

... I've got all of them on DVD, seasons 1 to 8 and 15 (I lost interest after Doug Ross and Mark Greene left the show). Haven't watched it for a while, but the last time I did watch it (my kids and my husband don't like ER), I was still amazed how innovative it was.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:58

Same here Carol. I have the dvds too. Every couple of years I watch seasons 1-5. I think those were the best by far. After George and then Juliana left it wasn't the same. Except for the women's hairstyles, George's ties and old style computers and cell phones it doesn't seem dated at all. The multiple storylines were almost always compelling.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 27 Mar 2017, 21:02

Donnamarie - Miguel Ferrer was a great actor and it really showed here. I thought his scenes were especially poignant considering how he died. Sort of prophetic.

I wonder if George had something to do with him getting the part. Probably not. Miguel was probably better known than George at the time. Maybe he had something to do with George getting the part. Smile Either way, great show.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next