George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech

+4
Fingersandtoes
annemarie
party animal - not!
Katiedot
8 posters

Go down

George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech Empty George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech

Post by Katiedot Tue 10 Jan 2017, 14:33

Links taken from another thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/10/george-clooney-voices-support-for-meryl-streep-anti-trump-speech

George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech

Speaking at event for documentary on volunteers in Syria, actor says US ‘is a little unlucky’ to have Trump as president-elect

Meryl Streep attacks Donald Trump in Golden Globes speech
Hannah Ellis-Petersen
Tuesday 10 January 2017 07.44 GMTFirst published on Tuesday 10 January 2017 01.08 GMT

George Clooney gave his backing to Meryl Streep’s scathing attack on Donald Trump.
Trump took to Twitter on Monday to describe Streep as overrated after she used her platform at the Golden Globes to condemn his imitation of a disabled reporter and accuse him of spreading hate and violence.

Follow
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Donald J. Trump 

@realDonaldTrump
[ltr]Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a.....[/ltr]

4:27 PM - 9 Jan 2017

•  

•  35,73535,735 Retweets

•  109,657109,657 likes

“Aren’t you supposed to be running the country?” said Clooney in response. “I didn’t vote for him, I don’t support him, I don’t think he’s the right choice.
“At this moment in our lives we have to hope that he doesn’t destroy everything. The reality is you have to hope he will do a decent job because if the United States fails, really terrible things happen, so you have to hope that he can.”
But he added: “I don’t see any signs of it.”
Clooney suggested that after a lucky run of previous presidents including Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy, America had got “a little unlucky with Bush” and that “I think we’re going to be a little unlucky now.”
Clooney was speaking at a reception for a Netflix documentary, The White Helmets, which follows the lives of the rescue volunteers in Syria. The actor recently acquired the rights to make a fiction film based on the documentary, but said it was still in very early stages.
Clooney said the film would be done in Arabic with English subtitles and that he intended to involve “as many Syrian people and [as much] Syrian talent as we can”.

Clooney said that bringing public attention to the bravery of people such as the White Helmets was one good way he could use his public platform.
“The only reason that people who are well known should be involved in these kinds of things is when no one knows about them,” he said.
“I can’t change policy but I can make things louder. The filmmakers, they are the brave ones, they are the ones who are doing all the work and are the heroes. So if I can help them out at all so people know about it, then that’s a good use of celebrity I think.”
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech Empty Re: George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech

Post by Katiedot Tue 10 Jan 2017, 14:34

[quote][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[size=40]George Clooney Says He Hopes Trump Presidency Won't Spawn "Terrible Things"
4:23 PM PST 1/9/2017 by the Associated Press
[/size]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George Clooney

"We have to hope that he can do a decent job, because when the President of the United States fails, really terrible things happen."

George Clooney didn't vote for Donald Trump and doesn't think he's the right choice to run the U.S. — but he hopes Trump succeeds in office.
"We have to hope that he can do a decent job, because when the President of the United States fails, really terrible things happen," Clooney said Monday at a London reception for Syria rescue-workers documentary The White Helmets.
Clooney, who supported Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in the presidential contest, said the U.S. has generally been lucky in its presidents.

"When we needed a first president, we had George Washington," said the actor. "We had Jefferson, Adams.

"When we had the Civil War, we had Lincoln," he added, rattling off other office-holders — Roosevelt, Kennedy — before suggesting that the U.S. "got a little unlucky" with the George W. Bush presidency in the years after 9/11.
"I think we're going to be a little unlucky now," said Clooney. "I can only hope for the best."
The actor defended fellow star Meryl Streep after she took aim at the president-elect in a speech at Sunday night's Golden Globe Awards.
In reply, Trump tweeted that Streep was "overrated" and a "flunky" of Clinton.
"I support her right forever" to speak out, said Clooney.
The actor's production company is working on a feature-film version of the story of the Syrian Civil Defense "White Helmets," search-and-rescue teams who have gained international recognition for rescuing people from bombed-out buildings in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
Clooney and his lawyer wife, Amal, have given their support to the Netflix-backed documentary, which is on the 10-strong Academy Awards shortlist for best documentary short.
He said that as a celebrity, "I can't change policy ... but I can make things louder. The White Helmets are the heroes. So if I can help them out at all, and people can know about it, in any way possible, that's a good use of celebrity, I think."
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech Empty Re: George Clooney backs Meryl Streep anti-Trump speech

Post by party animal - not! Tue 10 Jan 2017, 18:18

This is fun - apparently George described Trump as Babyfists........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George Clooney to Trump: ‘Aren’t you supposed to be running the country?’

• January 10, 2017

• By Kaiser

•  Amal Alamuddin, George Clooney, Politics

[size=11]Embed from Getty Images

First of all, these are some photos of George and Amal Clooney last night in London, at a Netflix screening at The White Helmets, a documentary which Clooney produced about the Syrian volunteers who look for survivors after bombs fall. Considering the serious subject matter, I do feel like a tool for saying this, but I’m still going to say it: bump much??? We heard a rumor last week that Amal is expecting twins. I’m pretty sure I spy a bump underneath that loose dress.
Meanwhile, George spoke to media outlets at the screening, and of course he was asked about Meryl Streep and Donald Trump.
[/size]
George Clooney is weighing in on President-elect Donald Trump’s comments about Meryl Streep following her politically charged speech at the Golden Globes. Trump lashed out at the actress via Twitter on Monday after she criticized him in her passionate Golden Globes speech about empathy Sunday night. In response, Trump called her “one of the most overrated actresses in Hollywood.”
“I’ve always said that about Meryl,” Clooney told PEOPLE sarcastically. “She’s maybe the most overrated actress of all-time. She and I worked together on Fantastic Mr. Fox as husband and wife and I will tell you even as a fox, a female fox, she’s overrated,” he said with a smile.
“Aren’t you supposed to be running the country?” he asked Trump rhetorically. “I didn’t vote for him, I don’t support him, I don’t think he’s the right choice. At this moment in our lives we have to hope that he doesn’t destroy everything. The reality is you have to hope he will do a decent job because if the United States fails, really terrible things happen, so you have to hope that he can.” But he added: “I don’t see any signs of it.”
[size]
[From People & The Guardian]
Regarding Meryl specifically, George also said, “I support her right forever” to speak out. He also said “we’re going to be a little unlucky now” that President Baby Fists is around, just like we were unlucky with George W. Bush. As for what he says about hoping Baby Fists doesn’t “destroy everything” – isn’t it fascinating and terrible that’s how low the bar is set? Like, I think that way too. If we get out of this without nuclear war, we’ll be okay, maybe.
Embed from Getty Images

Embed from Getty Images
[/size]

Last edited by Katiedot on Wed 11 Jan 2017, 08:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 11 Jan 2017, 09:00

Yup, he's certainly riled up a bunch of people - you should see the comments I got on the facebook page today!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 11 Jan 2017, 11:34

It is ridiculous Trump can say whatever he wants and that is fine.But others can't when they don't agree with him or his ideas.
George spoke the truth he is not right for President and all we can do is hope he does the job correctly.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingersandtoes Wed 11 Jan 2017, 12:56

I bet these people who are upset that trump is getting criticism used to trashtalk Obama for the past 10 years non stop, and it was freedom of speech. But now any criticism of trump is just wrong, these 'Hollywood elites' need to shut up, right?!

Fingersandtoes
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 11 Jan 2017, 14:00

Many people who use Facebook, Twitter and post comments on media sites online don't like George.  Their comments are usually cynical, judgmental or just hateful.  Some people just like to knock successful people.  There also are many who don't think celebrities should weigh in on politics ... as if they should just stick to what they know.  Acting. I couldn't disagree more.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingersandtoes Wed 11 Jan 2017, 14:15

Arts, theatre, acting, music, all have always been part of political issues and discussions. It's nothing new.

Fingersandtoes
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 11 Jan 2017, 14:46

Fingersandtoes wrote:Arts, theatre, acting, music, all have always been part of political issues and discussions. It's nothing new.
...it seems to be okay for many people if celebrities share tgeir own opinion, but they blame them for disagreeing with them...

And since liberals tend to accept other opinions than their own it's more a one-way road.
Has it been that extreme before? I don't think so...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 11 Jan 2017, 14:48

You have the right to voice your opinion regardless what you do for a living. The whole actors shouldn't comment is ridiculous.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 26 Jan 2017, 13:00

An idea

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 26 Jan 2017, 15:46

it's me wrote:An idea

Shocked
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 26 Jan 2017, 17:51

For a laugh

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 26 Jan 2017, 18:14

That's really cute it's me.  My dog doesn't react like that when she sees Trump on t.v.   ohsnap
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 26 Jan 2017, 18:21

Lol even the animals know.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 26 Jan 2017, 22:54

Yessssss
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down