George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
The Serious Side - Page 20 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side

+13
Sevens
Donnamarie
carolhathaway
oldweston
amaretti
Alisonfan
Way2Old4Dis
melbert
Fingersandtoes
LizzyNY
annemarie
party animal - not!
it's me
17 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The Serious Side - Page 20 Empty Re: The Serious Side

Post by What Would He Say Tue 06 Dec 2016, 18:05

Should we set up a monthly report card on The Donald....I'm finding it hard to keep up...
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 06 Dec 2016, 18:14

Wouldn't it be great if Mr Trump and his family sourced everything they sell in the US?

It's one thing to tell everybody else to do that, but how about applying it to himself and leading by example? Would that be too much to ask? Or is it a case of 'do as I say' instead of 'do as I do'. 

Not a great example to make America great again. Maybe he thinks he's above it all.

#grabyourwallet

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 06 Dec 2016, 18:21

LizzyNY wrote:Ladybug  - Mr. Brezenoff believes Donald Trump is unfit to be President. He is asking any electors who feel the same to vote their conscience and vote for whomever they think would be a better President. One Texas elector just announced he will not vote for Trump, but is not sure who will get his vote - maybe John Kasich.

Just because you have no problem with a Trump win doesn't mean that others agree with you. If electors have serious problems with Trump as President they are morally bound to either vote their conscience or refuse to vote at all. To give their vote to someone they feel would be dangerous to our country is what would be really "vile beyond description".

(Could you please dial back the hysteria? To change one's vote might be disturbing but it is hardly as "vile beyond description" as a President whose intent is to trample all over the Constitution to aggrandize himself.)Li
Lizzy - We are talking about a 200 year LAW, where the Electorate has NEVER voted against the people they represent.  

"Moral Ground"?  I respect Mr. Brezenoff for using the petition process to voice his concerns and opinions.  I respect the position of those who stand agreement with him.  However for the Republican Party to not HONOR the voice of the people is morally incomprehensible (i.e.vile); completely disrespectful regarding the People they represent.

"Trample over the Constitution" "Vile beyond description"?  For the last 8-14 years our Military has been engaged in a War that has not be defined and has no designated end.  We had the clear possibility of a conflict of interest under the Bush Administration that nobody seemed to address including Congress and main stream news.  We have been engaged in Foreign Policy that has left our veterans with substandard benefits/medical care and little to no oversight in public policy that has driven our Nation into economic oppression.

The truth is Trump won the election.  If Mr. Brezenoff is concerned, he can petition Congress to vote against Trump's agenda, he can spend the next four years working on getting someone else elected, and he can pray for the safety of the United States and the Globe.    Lizzy you seem to forget we have a system of government with checks and balances.  President Elect Trump like all of us has the responsibility to work within the guidelines of the Constitution.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Tue 06 Dec 2016, 18:30

party animal - not! wrote:Wouldn't it be great if Mr Trump and his family sourced everything they sell in the US?

It's one thing to tell everybody else to do that, but how about applying it to himself and leading by example? Would that be too much to ask? Or is it a case of 'do as I say' instead of 'do as I do'. 

Not a great example to make America great again. Maybe he thinks he's above it all.

#grabyourwallet

What an excellent idea PAN.....Hashtag buytrumpbuyamerician.....can't do hashtags on my laptop Sad
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 06 Dec 2016, 19:16

It's not going to happen ladybug.  Mr. Brezenoff is asking  electors to vote their conscience.  He feels that Trump is not fit for office.  He's not endorsing Hillary.  The majority of electors are certainly going to support Trump. The Republican Party couldn't be in a better position.  They have the majority in the Congress, have a so-called Republican President and are in a great position to nominate conservatives to the Supreme Court.

For many Americans what is truly disturbing and unthinkable is that Trump will soon be our President.  

It would be vile for any President to be murdered.  I don't understand why you would make such a comment.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 06 Dec 2016, 19:54

Donnamarie wrote:It's not going to happen ladybug.  Mr. Brezenoff is asking  electors to vote their conscience.  He feels that Trump is not fit for office.  He's not endorsing Hillary.  The majority of electors are certainly going to support Trump. The Republican Party couldn't be in a better position.  They have the majority in the Congress, have a so-called Republican President and are in a great position to nominate conservatives to the Supreme Court.

For many Americans what is truly disturbing and unthinkable is that Trump will soon be our President.  

It would be vile for any President to be murdered.  I don't understand why you would make such a comment.
I really hope the Republican Party will respect people they represent in their electoral process.

Trump won the election therefore many Americans support his Presidency.

Unfortunately powerful and desperate people do unthinkable things to get their way.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 06 Dec 2016, 20:20

Ladybug - Last point first: Check your facts before going off on a rant. It took me 2 minutes to google this:" Faithless electors" are members of the Electoral College who, for whatever reason, do not vote for their party's designated candidate. THIS HAS HAPPENED 157 TIMES since the founding of the Electoral College. - According to US government archives, no elector has ever been prosecuted for failing to vote as pledged.

Second, I'm sure Mr. Brezenoff will be doing all the things you suggested and probably a lot more.

Your second paragraph defies an answer. You have created a collection of grievances and complaints that, to me, seem disconnected and (I'm sorry to say) a bit irrational. What, for example, does our foreign policy have to do with sub-standard veteran's benefits? And what do you mean we've been driven into "economic oppression"? I find your statements confusing. If you want your arguments to be convincing, you'll have to state them more clearly.

I hope the Republican party and their candidate will respect ALL the people in our country - not just those in their party.To be completely factual, Trump hasn't won the election yet. The Electoral College hasn't voted yet and Hillary is leading him by almost 3MILLION votes in the popular vote. Do I think the outcome will change? Sadly, no, but if it did I'll bet Trump would give us a real demonstration of the unthinkable things powerful and desperate people will do to get their way.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 06 Dec 2016, 21:50

Lizzy  quote: " Faithless electors" are members of the Electoral College who, for whatever reason, do not vote for their party's designated candidate”.  Can you please give your source?  Are the Faithless electors pledged to a political party?  Is there a case where “Faithless electors” have overturned a Candidate that won the electoral majority in the general election?  

My second paragraph: Lizzy you seem to convert my positions to your own line of thinking; that’s why my positions make no sense to you.  Example:  I told you on more than one occasion I was referring to actual costs, not rate of inflation.  I had to put it in CAPS for you to get it. 

I admit I’m not the best writer; however, I have given an intricate and meticulous account of my arguments on more than one occasion. 

1.Military actions in foreign countries are connected to Foreign policy; the care of veterans is responsibility of the government they served.   

2,The truth U.S. Oil/Corporate business has deliberately, intentionally, systematically imposed economic oppression on this country (with little to no oversight by policy makers) not only affects active military families and Veterans, it affects all of us.

3.Contracts extended to U.S. Oil/Corporate business (example:Chaney/Haliburton) were a direct result of U.S. Military action (i.e., foreign policy) with nobody (including Congress) holding the Bush Administration accountable to conflict of interest laws.   

All of these positions I have explained to you in great detail (on more than one occasion); you still seem to not comprehend my positions. 

I stand corrected it is President Elect Donald Trump.  Only those pledged to the Republican Party can change that.  I’ve been looking for the official general election count and can’t find it.  Can you give an official government source for the 3M Hillary Clinton general election lead.

Nothing in this election will be more incomprehensible/vile then the Republican Party to not honor the voice of the people they represent.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 06 Dec 2016, 22:13

ladybugcngc wrote:Lizzy  quote: " Faithless electors" are members of the Electoral College who, for whatever reason, do not vote for their party's designated candidate”.  Can you please give your source?  Are the Faithless electors pledged to a political party?  Is there a case where “Faithless electors” have overturned a Candidate that won the electoral majority in the general election? 

I told you it took me 2 minutes on Google to get the information. I'm not your research assistant. If you have time to post snarky replies, you have time to look up information for yourself.

As far as the rest of your post is concerned, I'm tired of trying to understand the connections you make and the positions you take. Life's too short.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Tue 06 Dec 2016, 22:42

LizzyNY wrote:
ladybugcngc wrote:Lizzy  quote: " Faithless electors" are members of the Electoral College who, for whatever reason, do not vote for their party's designated candidate”.  Can you please give your source?  Are the Faithless electors pledged to a political party?  Is there a case where “Faithless electors” have overturned a Candidate that won the electoral majority in the general election? 

I told you it took me 2 minutes on Google to get the information. I'm not your research assistant. If you have time to post snarky replies, you have time to look up information for yourself.

As far as the rest of your post is concerned, I'm tired of trying to understand the connections you make and the positions you take. Life's too short.
Can you define snarky?  I know I crack myself up  Razz.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 07 Dec 2016, 06:27

I just read an article about raising hate crimes in NYC. The numbers have raised more than 100 %, lately a muslim police woman was attacked by a man who told her to leave the country (she was with her sister who wore a hijab).
De Blasis is very concerned about that and mentiins that more than 900 muslims serve as policemen and -women at the NYPD. He blames Trump and his hate speeches for that.

If anybody's interested, here's the article. Sorry, it's just in German, I can't translate on my tablet:

http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/trump-und-hatecrimes-101.html
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Wed 07 Dec 2016, 07:20

Don’t be confused: An electoral college rebellion is almost certainly not going to happen.

This is a note to myself.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/d1a2fd80-817f-377c-b9ad-90f6408c2359/why-efforts-to-persuade-the.html
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 07 Dec 2016, 12:09

Trumps secretary of schools wants to privatize schools and have charter and vouchers for schools. 

From what I heard on the news the schools would have no accountability and every thing would fall to the parents.

http://www.vox.com/2016/12/2/13767668/donald-trump-education-betsy-devos-school-vouchers

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 07 Dec 2016, 14:32

Annemarie - Vouchers aren't the answer to the disarray in the US educational system. They're a solution proposed by entitled people who think that if they let the "underpriveledged" go to the same schools as their kids everything will be fixed - and if it isn't, well at least they tried.  IMO it's just a way for the rich to make themselves feel better abut being rich!

Most research shows little or no difference between the success rates of charter schools and public schools. The major difference is oversight. Public schools are regulated and scrutinized to death - charters are not. Another difference is that public schools don't shut down and leave their students high and dry if they don't turn a profit - charter schools can, and do!

Obviously, I'm not a fan of vouchers - for many reasons - but I am a fan of a national curriculum - the same material taught in each grade, as much as possible on the same schedule, in every school. And I favor standards. Not the stupid list of "Your child will learn to..." that means nothing to students because it's so abstract, but a list of expected behaviors and responsibilities for students that will improve their work habits and give them concrete goals to work toward within the framework of a known curriculum.

Our reliance on testing has demoralized our teachers and created a culture of paranoia in our schools - not to mention a level of disrespect for everyone involved, teachers and students alike. If we really want our kids to succeed we need to re-evaluate the meaning of education and the means for making it accessible for all children.

Sorry for the rant, but being a teacher this issue really touches a nerve. Embarassed
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Wed 07 Dec 2016, 14:45

LizzyNY wrote:Annemarie - Vouchers aren't the answer to the disarray in the US educational system. They're a solution proposed by entitled people who think that if they let the "underpriveledged" go to the same schools as their kids everything will be fixed - and if it isn't, well at least they tried.  IMO it's just a way for the rich to make themselves feel better abut being rich!

Most research shows little or no difference between the success rates of charter schools and public schools. The major difference is oversight. Public schools are regulated and scrutinized to death - charters are not. Another difference is that public schools don't shut down and leave their students high and dry if they don't turn a profit - charter schools can, and do!

Obviously, I'm not a fan of vouchers - for many reasons - but I am a fan of a national curriculum - the same material taught in each grade, as much as possible on the same schedule, in every school. And I favor standards. Not the stupid list of "Your child will learn to..." that means nothing to students because it's so abstract, but a list of expected behaviors and responsibilities for students that will improve their work habits and give them concrete goals to work toward within the framework of a known curriculum.

Our reliance on testing has demoralized our teachers and created a culture of paranoia in our schools - not to mention a level of disrespect for everyone involved, teachers and students alike. If we really want our kids to succeed we need to re-evaluate the meaning of education and the means for making it accessible for all children.

Sorry for the rant, but being a teacher this issue really touches a nerve. Embarassed
Vouchers are also a way for tax payer money to go toward folks sending their kids to religious schools.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 07 Dec 2016, 15:03

Lizzy and Fava I agree with you I don't like the idea.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 07 Dec 2016, 15:19

In my neighborhood the school was was given to the Chinese, the kids were removed and placed in already over crowded schools in the neighborhood.  The new operators of the school didn't want any other children accept Chinese the city didn't go for that so they had to accept some other children. 
My question is why not fix the school system it is old and needs to be re thought. This school was on a list of schools that were doing bad. To take it and give it to another group of people was just wrong. 
It is said that the then Mrs. Wendy Murdoch helped them to get the school.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 07 Dec 2016, 16:42

annemarie - A big part of the problem is that people like Ms. Murdoch and our politicians see education and our school systems as a business. It isn't! Intelligent graduates who can think for themselves aren't the product they're looking for. They want kids who get high test scores that reflect virtually nothing except the ability to game the system but who really haven't learned much of anything. They can then use those scores to get more funding for their privately owned schools and the testing companies and school-book companies who supply them. It stinks of elitism and cronyism.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 07 Dec 2016, 18:58

I'm not a fan of a national voucher system either.  I believe wholeheartedly in our public school system.  We do need a total reevaluation of learning techniques and how to effectuate success for all children.  No one has come up with just the right formula that will work for all kids.  And children don't come from the same mold.  They don't all learn from the same starting point.  Poverty does play a huge role in our children succeeding but a voucher system has not shown that it provides any real advantages to what is available through the public school system.  

The voucher system would deprive many public school systems of needed tax dollars needed to improve their existing programs.  I'm definitely not for that.

As much as I believe in a national curriculum I'm a parent of children who went through the Virginia Standards of Learning. It's a standardized testing program provided for core subjects in K-12 classrooms. Not a big fan.  At the beginning of every school year it was evident that teachers were focused on ensuring their students were readied for the SOLs which were administered in the spring.  There is nothing wrong with teaching a curriculum with beachmarks in mind but what happens is that many teachers end up teaching to the test.  If enough students didn't perform well on SOLs it put the school in a position of possibly losing their accreditation.

I don't like Trump's pick for Secretary of Education but with all things Trump we will just have to see what happens with Ms. DeVos' plans for overhauling our educational system.  Trump always talks big.  Time will tell whether he can implement even half of his BIG campaign promises.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 07 Dec 2016, 20:32

Donnamarie wrote: As much as I believe in a national curriculum I'm a parent of children who went through the Virginia Standards of Learning. It's a standardized testing program provided for core subjects in K-12 classrooms. Not a big fan.  At the beginning of every school year it was evident that teachers were focused on ensuring their students were readied for the SOLs which were administered in the spring.  There is nothing wrong with teaching a curriculum with beachmarks in mind but what happens is that many teachers end up teaching to the test.  If enough students didn't perform well on SOLs it put the school in a position of possibly losing their accreditation.

I agree with everything you've said. I just want to clarify one thing. When I said I believe in a standard curriculum I did not tie it to standardized testing because that puts the emphasis on test-taking techniques and de-emphasizes informational content. I believe in content-rich learning and multiple approaches to imparting that content to students. You're right that every student's skill set is different and each child needs a different approach.

If we had a national curriculum it would ensure that the same things would be taught to every child in a specific grade. That's it. How it would be taught should be left up to the teachers (with sufficient training and support to know what to do) and how the learning would be assessed should be decided by the people most involved - the teachers and educators who actually work with the kids. When you tie test results to how much money a school will receive you stifle creative teaching and genuine learning on the part of the students.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 07 Dec 2016, 21:57

So do you have curriculums for eveey federal state? Every county? Every town? Or does every school have an own curriculum?
In Germany we have curriculums for evedy federal state. Which causes huge problems  if you need to move to another part of Germany. I remember when I was about 14 - and my two sisters were 12 and 9 - my father was offered a job in another federal state. And my parents decided not to move because of the different curriculums.
I'm sure it was much easier if we had the same curriculum in the whole country...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 08 Dec 2016, 16:36

carolhathaway wrote:So do you have curriculums for eveey federal state? Every county? Every town? Or does every school have an own curriculum?
In Germany we have curriculums for evedy federal state. Which causes huge problems  if you need to move to another part of Germany. I remember when I was about 14 - and my two sisters were 12 and 9 - my father was offered a job in another federal state. And my parents decided not to move because of the different curriculums.
I'm sure it was much easier if we had the same curriculum in the whole country...
Carolhathaway, when I was 10 years old we moved from one state to another and I found that I was ahead in some subjects and behind in others. I know that when I left teaching that was still true for students coming from other states - and especially for students coming from other countries.

There was always a generally accepted curriculum - certain subjects taught at certain grade levels - that was used in all states, mostly because they based much of what they taught on the textbooks they used in conjunction with a statewide curriculum. The companies that publish the textbooks do a lot of research into effective teaching methods and grade appropriate material. The teaching materials that accompany the textbooks make a teacher's job much easier.

Things have changed since Common Core was implemented. The federal government tied funding to test scores based on a set of abstract "standards" and crusade of "accountability". I don't know if this has unified curriculum across the country, but I do know that it has demoralized teachers in many schools and has led many seasoned teachers to leave teaching. This has left the education of many of our children - especially the underprivileged - in the hands of idealistic but inexperienced newcomers who, because they are new to the profession work for much less money. This gives the school administrators incentive to force out the veteran teachers so they can save money, but it doesn't do our children any good.

This is a pet peeve of mine so I could go on forever, but I'll shut up now. I'm sure both have other things to do. Very Happy
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 08 Dec 2016, 17:00

I really love the education conversation.  I have no children, however I'm very interested in effective solutions.  Lizzy what do you think about boarding schools for the underprivileged, with the integration of family input.  Meaning strategic times family would be integrated.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 08 Dec 2016, 17:11

Lizzy,thanks for your explanations. It sounds pretty much like in Germany. Although - because school education is federal states law - we have real differences: 
In one federal state which is near to France, the pupils start learning French when they're nine, and they start learning English two years later - in the other states it's vice versa. In one state elementary school lasts six years, in the other 15 four years. My federal state always had a very special school for 5th and 6th grade, most of the others didn't have that. They cancelled that about ten years ago. In several states you can do your secondary school diploma (which allows you to go to university) after twelve years, in others after 13 years. In  my state we had changed it to twelve years about ten years ago and returned to 13 years this year - but some schools have decided to go on with twelve years. Since we separate pupils after elementary school to three different types of school, in some states the teachers decide the school for the pupils, in others they have to discuss it with the parents, and in others the parents decide without having to consult the teachers...

Since my kids are handicapped, they would have to go to a school for kids with special needs which is really far away. So we decided to incluse them to our local elementary school, a teacher from that school and some assistants support and help them (they're five handicapped kids in that class). We were able to do that although inclusion wasn't statutory at that time (it is now)  - simply due to the UN who said that every handicapped person has the right to be part if the society. In other federal states kids still have no chance for inclusion.
Just one aspect: If my kids had gone to that school for kids with special needs, they wouldn't be taught English - my kids read 'Harry Potter' in English and had no problem to understand and talk when we were in Britain last year...

I could go on endlessly...

Last edited by carolhathaway on Thu 08 Dec 2016, 17:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell...)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 08 Dec 2016, 17:51

Carolhathaway - It seems that there is as much diversity in your schools as there is in ours. What people don't understand is that there is a different education experience for every child - even within the same classroom with the same teacher - because everyone of us is different. We each see things from a unique perspective. One size does definitely not fit all. IMO, that's where the focus of education has to be, no matter what the curriculum.

Ladybug - I'm not a big fan of boarding schools in general - especially for younger children. Maybe it provides some academic benefits for junior high or high school students, but a lot would depend on the school. I know there are pros and cons, but I'm not sure removing a child from his/her family is helpful in the long run. It could create a whole range of other problems.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 08 Dec 2016, 18:09

Thanks Lizzy!!!
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 08 Dec 2016, 20:12

Good luck with your kids

Carolhathaway Hug1
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 08 Dec 2016, 21:26

Lizzy,
that's exactly how I see it. And we tend to stereotype and categorize people because that makes lufe easier. When I think back to the time when I went to school, all kids who weren't like the average kids, were sorted out and sent to other schools. We have a bunch of different schools for children with special needs, but now it is accepted that some pupils have dyslexia or dyscalculia - and that's not a handicap. So they simply get some extra time, special help or training or their orthography simply isn't graded.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Thu 08 Dec 2016, 22:55

Lizzy I definitely agree with your perspective on education. One size does not fit all ... as you said.
Teachers have a huge challenge to reach out and connect to a classroom of 25-30+ students, each with unique study habits and learning capabilities.  If a school resides in a low income area where poverty is an issue then a teacher's job in doubly challenging.  Sometimes they must become parent and teacher.  These students are especially at risk for falling through the cracks and getting left far behind.  This has been happening for years and it is probably a situation that happens more so now than ever before.

carolhathaway,  it sounds like you had a unique situation with your children and luckily their school was flexible enough to be able to accommodate them and their special needs ... which is great.  They can go to their local school, not have to travel so far and have school friends within their own community.  You sound like you are a very involved parent in your school community.  Not all parents are .... for different reasons. I think it makes a huge and generally positive difference when parents get involved in their children's school.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 09 Dec 2016, 00:34

Thumbs up!

Great words Donnamarie !
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 04:01

Trump will remain executive producer on celebrity apprentice. The so called President of the U.S is producing a reality t.v show. O.K i'm in the twilight zone that explains everything.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 09 Dec 2016, 06:33

Donnamarie wrote:carolhathaway,  it sounds like you had a unique situation with your children and luckily their school was flexible enough to be able to accommodate them and their special needs ... which is great.  They can go to their local school, not have to travel so far and have school friends within their own community.  You sound like you are a very involved parent in your school community.  Not all parents are .... for different reasons. I think it makes a huge and generally positive difference when parents get involved in their children's school.

Donna,
it always shocks me when I talk to teachers:
They have to organize breakfast for the pupils because they don't get anything to eat at home.
When the kids have to talk about their favourite book at school, there are kids who have no single book at home - but have also never been to a public library where they get books for free. So the teachers organize a library at school to guarantee easy access to books for kids who don't get any support by their parents.
Kids who don't have a pen.
I could continue endlessly - I don't understand it...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Fri 09 Dec 2016, 06:38

annemarie wrote:Trump will remain executive producer on celebrity apprentice. The so called President of the U.S is producing a reality t.v show. O.K i'm in the twilight zone that explains everything.
Annemarie,
maybe they are going to do this at the White House. Wouldn't that be great? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Trump is at the G 8 meeting somewhere and has to return to the States because of problems with his show. Just imagine that! Since it's just a half-time job to be POTUS affraid
I can't wait to see him checking the reality. He doesn't seem to take his new job serious...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 09 Dec 2016, 08:38

yes Carolhathaway

many teachers behave as more parents then the actual parents

many

and I sadly have to say

from little to older
some kids have cellphones 

but no pens or paper
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 18:26

carolhathaway wrote:
annemarie wrote:Trump will remain executive producer on celebrity apprentice. The so called President of the U.S is producing a reality t.v show. O.K i'm in the twilight zone that explains everything.
Annemarie,
maybe they are going to do this at the White House. Wouldn't that be great? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Trump is at the G 8 meeting somewhere and has to return to the States because of problems with his show. Just imagine that! Since it's just a half-time job to be POTUS affraid
I can't wait to see him checking the reality. He doesn't seem to take his new job serious...

I think Vice President Pence is going to be doing a lot of the grunt work and advising Trump.  Trump will make the BIG decisions and I wouldn't be surprised if he continues his crowd events because he loves the attention and adoration. Does Trump even know what countries make up the G8?

The fact that he will still be producing The Apprentice is just mind boggling.  Will his credit  as Executive Producer be shown as Donald Trump or President Trump.  It's also kind of bizarre that the man who took over his spot on the show is the former governor of California.  How crazy is this??!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 18:57

it's me wrote:yes Carolhathaway

many teachers behave as more parents then the actual parents

many

and I sadly have to say

from little to older
some kids have cellphones 

but no pens or paper

So true it's me and carolhathaway.  

Teachers are expected by many parents to be everything to their children.  It is the parents' responsibility to be invested in their child's school, engaged with their children as it pertains to what they are learning, homework and any problems that they may be experiencing in the classroom.  And parents must communicate with the teachers.  Learning doesn't happen in a vacuum.  Parenting is the hardest job in the world IMO.  And I understand most parents work so their involvement with their children's school can be challenging.  But children are far more likely to succeed in school when the parents are partners with teachers in their child's education. 

But I have to say it is a fine line.  I've come across many parents who try to manage their children's education and clash with teachers over teaching techniques and curriculum.

Last edited by Donnamarie on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 18:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct text. Sorry I've been rushing through posts last couple of days and missed mistakes. Apologies.)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 09 Dec 2016, 19:49

I can understand

School and the whole world changed a lot

I don't want to say it worsened

Surely it's a big challenge

Years ago

Mayor
Doctor
Priest
Teacher

Were the most important ppl of the village

Now?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 09 Dec 2016, 20:00

In NYC there are many opportunities for parents to be involved in various aspects of their child's school experience. There are many parents who take advantage of these opportunities. There are many, for a variety of reasons, who do not. And there are some who honestly should not be involved at all.

It's very encouraging to see parent involvement, but I would be much happier if the energy spent on committees and parent groups was spent on the children and enriching their environment and experiences. Spend the time with your child - walk, talk, do something together. Turn off the tv and the games. Put away the phones. Interact with your child.

I sometimes think the hostility directed toward teachers, especially by well educated parents, is partially a result of guilt because they know they're not giving their child the attention they should. It comes off as "I'm smart so I'm going to tell you how to do your job and make my kid successful because I'm way too busy to do it myself." IMO, quality time with your kids needs to be a major priority. There's a big difference between arguing with your child's teacher about curriculum and teaching techniques and actually engaging with your child and contributing to his education and life experiences.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 20:37

Donald and his crew are now going to go after medicaid and social security. They want to privatize medicare and cut social security.

And who do you think would hurt the most if they do this, poor and middle  will suffer. The people
he claimed he would make life better for.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/12/09/bait-and-switch-no-one-voted-destroy-medicare

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 09 Dec 2016, 20:41

I agree
Lizzy

Guilt
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Fri 09 Dec 2016, 20:48

Donnamarie wrote:
carolhathaway wrote:
Annemarie,

I think Vice President Pence is going to be doing a lot of the grunt work and advising Trump.  Trump will make the BIG decisions and I wouldn't be surprised if he continues his crowd events because he loves the attention and adoration. Does Trump even know what countries make up the G8?

The fact that he will still be producing The Apprentice is just mind boggling.  Will his credit  as Executive Producer be shown as Donald Trump or President Trump.  It's also kind of bizarre that the man who took over his spot on the show is the former governor of California.  How crazy is this??!
Are we taxpayers going to be paying for these crowd events that have no real purpose? (except to feed the ego of Trump). I am keeping my fingers crossed for the day so few people show up, he cannot blame traffic, security, or any of his other excuses.  These rallies seem more like a "cult of personality" than a useful tool for governing or providing information.

-------

http://www.clooneysopenhouse.com/viewtopic.forum?t=7470

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20