George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers

3 posters

Go down

Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers Empty Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers

Post by Mazy Fri 11 Oct 2013, 03:31

Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers

Christian critics in the US praise the spiritual candour and apparent faith in a deity expressed in Alfonso Cuaron's film, which George Clooney denies writing a key scene
Ben Child theguardian.com, Thursday 10 October 2013 08.19 BST
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Link to video: Gravity: watch Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in the new full-length trailer of the space-walk thriller

It has picked up almost universally positive reviews and is being tipped for Oscars glory next year. Now Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity has begun to pick up praise from a surprising source - Christian critics who say the 3Dspace spectacular celebrates the presence of God in the universe.
1. Gravity
2. Production year: 2013
3. Country: USA
4. Directors: Alfonso Cuaron
5. Cast: George Clooney, Sandra Bullock
6. More on this film

Paul Asay of the Christian review blog Plugged In said Gravity showed "the paradoxes of the Christian faith echoed on the screen" and appeared to reference resurrection themes, the concept of a personal interaction with God and of hope in the afterlife.

"The film deals with spirituality honestly, not explicitly from a Christian perspective, but you can take it as such," he told the Christian Post. "If you follow the trail, it will lead right to Christianity."
Craig Detweiler, described as an author, filmmaker, cultural commentator, and associate professor of Communication at Pepperdine University, said the film was explicitly "theistic."

"She literally says thank you," the reviewer told the Christian Post. "You don't hear God called by name, but she does address characters on the other side of life in heaven, clearly believes in an afterlife, and clearly expresses thanks to an unnamed almighty."

Detweiler said Gravity dealt with "life's ultimate questions – why we are here, why live, what happens after we die". He added: "It takes grief seriously and encourages us to press on because of the promise of eternal life."

Finally, Christian reviewer Professor Eric Hann of Biola University said the film showed how a personal God could give new meaning and purpose to a suffering soul. "I don't know that I would make the claim that the film gestures toward Christ himself, but a God who interacts with events, who does miracles – there's a definite argument in that," he said.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Link to video: George Clooney, Sandra Bullock and Alfonso Cuarón talk about Gravity at the Venice film festival

Cuaron's film, which features Bullock and George Clooney as an astronaut and medical engineer working together to survive after an accident leaves them cast adrift in space, opened in top spot at the US box office at the weekend with $55.6m (£34.6m), in the process breaking the all-time record for an October debut. It was also released in Australia last week, and is due to debut in UK cinemas on 8 November.

Meanwhile, Clooney has denied writing a key scene in Gravity, despite comments by Cuaron to the contrary. "I didn't write any scene," Clooney told The Wrap. "That scene was there from the minute I was handed the script. The problem they were having was afterward."

Cuaron had earlier told Vulture: "There was one scene we were doing over and over and over, and George overheard that we were dealing with that. And then one night I receive an email from him, saying, 'I heard you were struggling with this. I took a shot with the scene, Read it. Throw it out.' And we ended up using it. This was exactly what we needed."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers Empty Re: Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers

Post by Carla97 Fri 11 Oct 2013, 07:40

Unnamed almighty...there seems to be really something for everyone in this movie... Reading reviews afterwards I´m asking myself have I seen this film??? Question 
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers Empty Re: Gravity 'Celebrates Presence Of God' Say US Christian Reviewers

Post by Mazy Fri 11 Oct 2013, 08:00

Carla97 wrote:Unnamed almighty...there seems to be really something for everyone in this movie... Reading reviews afterwards I´m asking myself have I seen this film??? Question 
I read somewhere that you need to see this movie a second time to really appreciate it. I guess the second time you get more out of the experience.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sat 12 Oct 2013, 23:10

Carla97 wrote:Unnamed almighty...there seems to be really something for everyone in this movie... Reading reviews afterwards I´m asking myself have I seen this film??? Question 
ROTFL 
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down