George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney to make his Broadway debut in a play version of movie ‘Good Night, and Good Luck
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 19:19 by benex

» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 02:07 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptySat 11 May 2024, 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler

+53
Juliette Hardy
johnnya2k12
What Would He Say
Nicky80
GiGi
silly willy
iamnoone
noname
playfuldeb
annemarie
isogotit
madsky
amaretti
pandabear
lelacorb
Mazy
Dior
Natascha
MM
Henway
very vera
Best in Category
theminis
OofOof
Atalante
Lighterside
Joanna
Maggy
NotAvailable
Way2Old4Dis
it's me
party animal - not!
EEOsandy
LornaDoone
melbert
lovelylois
watching
Clooneygirl
Aly
lucy
blubelle
Missa
bamboochacha
m4rose
cindigirl
fava
The next mrs clooney
Cinderella
Katiedot
Lakin460
noodle
silly girl
57 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 Empty Re: Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler

Post by EEOsandy Sun 12 Aug 2012, 03:44

The next mrs clooney wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else wondering why Stacy hasn't done one of her gushing tweets about how thrilled she is to be working on the show and how amazing her life is?? I understand her not being able to tweet about it before, although I think her tweet about how happy she was with the path her life was taking may have been to do with this, but now its common news so surely she would be allowed to say something about it.

A couple of musings...

Stacy seems to pick and choose which of her projects she wants to publicize. For example, she tweeted about Men at Work, NTSW, and Fixing Pete, but never once mentioned Dysfunctional Friends and didn't even show for the premiere in LA.

Her friends, Odette Annable and Jenna Dewan-Tatum retweeted a Twitter post about Stacy's supermarket gig as soon as it posted. Stacy neither retweeted nor mentioned it on Twitter. Jenna (and of course, Channing) has had several projects recently and Odette just signed with CBS's Golden Boy. All their projects were mentioned on Twitter, but Stacy never retweeted any of it.

Stacy's recent "twit" moratorium is very strange to say the least.
EEOsandy
EEOsandy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 Empty Re: Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler

Post by melbert Sun 12 Aug 2012, 04:29

When Channing and Jenna returned home from their vacay, Jenna got a part on some show and will co-star with Adam Lavine and there was no mention from Stacy either. Curious...
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Sun 12 Aug 2012, 05:22

Clooneygirl, I'm in love with your avatar, I know, I'm way too old!
Why can't anyone woman he dates get a job?
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelylois Sun 12 Aug 2012, 15:16

From celebitchy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Stacy Keibler got a job! (hosting a Lifetime show about supermarkets)

For a while now, Stacy Keibler has been trying to get a reality show gig. Not that she wants to compete on a reality show or anything at this point, but she really wanted to be the host or a judge of something. I kept hearing suspicious rumors that Simon Cowell was looking at Stacy to replace Steve Jones as host/presenter on The X Factor. But I guess that fell through… maybe Stacy got her hopes up much, much too high with that one. I mean, hosting a weekly show in which Britney Spears is a judge? We’re looking for something more, right? Still, I kind of think Stacy might have sold herself too short on this one. It’s just been announced that Stacy is the new hostess of a Lifetime reality show called Supermarket Superstars. It sounds like… a weird concept.

Just as photos are popping up of Stacy Keibler enjoying some down time with sweetie George Clooney in Italy, Lifetime has announced she’ll soon be hosting a new show for the channel.

Keibler will preside over a new reality-competition series called Supermarket Superstars, in which aspiring food product inventors pitch their concepts to a panel of experts for a chance to have their creation launched nationally in a major grocery chain.
Produced by The Weinstein Co. (Project Runway) and Studio Lambert (Undercover Boss), Supermarket Superstars will feature contestants pitching their creations to three mentors. (Shades of ABC’s Shark Tank?)

The mentors critique each idea, prompting the creator to further develop and refine the product before presenting the final concept to a supermarket buyer.

The winner of each episode will be rewarded with an investment in their product and a chance to return in the season finale, where one person’s brilliant idea will win the opportunity to be put into stores nationwide.

Lifetime has ordered 10 episodes of Supermarket Superstars.

[From USA Today]

I’m guessing Lifetime is aiming to get the “foodie” demographic (also known as the “Top Chef demo”), only it doesn’t even sound like we’re really going to be watching people MAKE the food/product that they’re pitching. Or are we? The Weinstein Company’s reality show baby is Project Runway, which switched over from Bravo to Lifetime after season 5. So, Harvey does have a relationship with Lifetime already, and you can bet that Lifetime is going to do an adequate push for their new show. At least now we know what Stacy has been wearing some of the tackiest Marchesa dresses this whole time – she was trying to get in with Georgina Chapman, Harvey’s wife. I like and admire Stacy’s hustle, and maybe I’m completely underestimating how much people want to see supermarkets bid on food ideas, but I still kind of think this whole thing sounds like a loser for Stacy. I’m a horrible judge of what reality shows are going to work, though. I thought The Voice sounded SO dumb.

Last edited by lovelylois on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 15:26; edited 1 time in total

lovelylois
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 12 Aug 2012, 15:21

I keep wondering who the "experts" will be? People from the major food companies, like Nabisco? It doesn't sound like they have a deal with a supermarket chain yet, or you'd think they would have mentioned it in the press release.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Sun 12 Aug 2012, 15:34

Gee, can't wait to see the promo commercials for this show..... Rolling Eyes
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Aly Sun 12 Aug 2012, 19:51

Stace girl be careful if you rock this show you will get a handful of better projects after it , don't waste your chance , wish you good luck and i want to see you doing this , send your boyfriend a greeting from me ! Smile
Aly
Aly
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sun 12 Aug 2012, 20:13

Aly wrote:Stace girl be careful if you rock this show you will get a handful of better projects after it , don't waste your chance , wish you good luck and i want to see you doing this , send your boyfriend a greeting from me ! Smile

I think you may be overestimating the power of a basic cable reality show.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Aly Sun 12 Aug 2012, 21:54

Missa wrote:
Aly wrote:Stace girl be careful if you rock this show you will get a handful of better projects after it , don't waste your chance , wish you good luck and i want to see you doing this , send your boyfriend a greeting from me ! Smile

I think you may be overestimating the power of a basic cable reality show.

We'll see! Wink
Aly
Aly

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Mon 13 Aug 2012, 00:40

Yea Stacy girl get out there and "ROCK THIS SHOW" just like SL ROCKED THE RUNWAYS, no I'm not a hater or jealous, IMO this doesn't sound like a show that will have anything close to interesting like a Project Runway.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooneygirl Mon 13 Aug 2012, 02:31

lucy wrote:Clooneygirl, I'm in love with your avatar, I know, I'm way too old!

Thanks, Lucy! You can't really go wrong with Mr. Gosling!

American doesn't need a show about processed food products. This is stupid. IMO, Stacy should start preparing for Playboy because that is really her only option in the entertainment industry post George.
Clooneygirl
Clooneygirl
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Mon 13 Aug 2012, 03:07

Clooneygirl wrote:
lucy wrote:Clooneygirl, I'm in love with your avatar, I know, I'm way too old!

Thanks, Lucy! You can't really go wrong with Mr. Gosling!

American doesn't need a show about processed food products. This is stupid. IMO, Stacy should start preparing for Playboy because that is really her only option in the entertainment industry post George.

Well, yeah, and it goes against everything she's been promoting for the last year. The products will almost certainly have to be processed foods or frozen dinners, which aren't great either. Stacy can't seem to decide if she wants to be a health/fitness expert or just make as much money as she can as quickly as she can. The exposure this game show brings might be nice, but she might be shooting herself in the foot with her long term career goals.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Tue 14 Aug 2012, 01:24

And finally Stacy has realized that it is a good idea to tweet about her new show to get some publicity for it. Better late than never.

[url=
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Tue 14 Aug 2012, 02:21

True! and it was 2:30 a.m. when she twitted. Maybe she just found out!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 14 Aug 2012, 02:25

melbert wrote:True! and it was 2:30 a.m. when she twitted. Maybe she just found out!!

It's hard to read while wearing sunglasses. Takes a while to decipher the writing.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Tue 14 Aug 2012, 02:25

It was tweeted through Hootesuite which is a service that allows you to time the release of your tweets. Guess she set it to come out primetime in the US. strange thing is that when I first looked at it there were a few comments from people about the WWE and her contract with George being over. These comments have been deleted.
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Aly Tue 14 Aug 2012, 03:07

lucy wrote:Yea Stacy girl get out there and "ROCK THIS SHOW" just like SL ROCKED THE RUNWAYS, no I'm not a hater or jealous, IMO this doesn't sound like a show that will have anything close to interesting like a Project Runway.

How do you know it's not going to be a good show or TV program you read stars or see vision about the future ,no one know yet!!!!!!!!

and actually yes you sound jealous not only you but every one here who is hating on Stacy at least wait until it air and start criticizing her , but she is George choice and she is the one with him not us !

ever time i read about clooney GF here/other threads i find a big amount of hate and negative energy like nothing else that's not a good thing for anyone that's mean jealousy sorry but it's true if you just hate every thing about stacy she is not that horrible , all of you are wrong not her !
Aly
Aly

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:29

You're right, Aly. There does seem to be the odd vitriolic statement here, doesn't there? And a bit of pre-judging too.

And, yep, she's the one he's chosen, not us. I completely understand the cynicism, but civility helps from time to time. Makes for a nicer world.

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Thu 16 Aug 2012, 16:13

Here's an article that mentions the supermarket show and Stacy. Copied the part that talks about her as it was long and talking about the supermarket industry. Seems we are not the only one's questioning why she is on the show.

Rock Star Opportunity for Supermarket Superstars

The newest reality show headed for the Lifetime network in the U.S. is "Supermarket Superstars," a TV show which will give food product inventors a chance to capture something as elusive as a rock star recording contract. That is, national supermarket shelf space.

Supermarket Superstars will undoubtedly be a hit with individual culinary inventors who want to be just that. As it is now with the largest U.S. supermarket chains, there is very little chance for individuals to get a food product onto supermarket shelves among the other 48,000 items. That is, unless you're willing and able to pay a hefty multi-million dollar "slotting fee" up front, or you're able to sidestep the supermarket system altogether by winning a reality show challenge.

There is a question, though, about whether this reality TV show's format will be entertaining enough for those who are only interested in what they take off the supermarket shelves. And there is an even bigger question about why producers think that Stacy Keibler is the host that will appeal to the typical supermarket shopper. It's hard to believe that the model-actress-wrestler spends a lot of time doing grocery shopping, or even grocery eating, for that matter. So what is Stacy's connection to the retail food business that makes her a relevant host?
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by EEOsandy Thu 16 Aug 2012, 16:20

Hmmm...this picture is from April. We were referencing how it looked so staged. Probably no connection, but interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
EEOsandy
EEOsandy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Thu 16 Aug 2012, 16:23

I suppose the Supermarket Superstars show ties in with her tweeting about cleansing, healthy eating, etc. Seems she would be more relevant in advertising wrestling gear, fashion, working out. She may do all right as this topic is about as bland as she is. IMO
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Thu 16 Aug 2012, 16:36

EEOSandy you bring up a good point Very Happy Random staged photo op at the grocery store, was it to prove that she actually has been to a grocery store and qualifies to be the host??
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 16 Aug 2012, 18:12

she only need to be more spontaneous
talking and smiling as she does in her
REAL LIFE

forget the 'stage'
be genuine
as the food you prefer Thumbs up!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Thu 16 Aug 2012, 19:59

cindigirl wrote:I suppose the Supermarket Superstars show ties in with her tweeting about cleansing, healthy eating, etc. Seems she would be more relevant in advertising wrestling gear, fashion, working out. She may do all right as this topic is about as bland as she is. IMO

I'm not sure how healthy these foods will be though. Won't they almost certainly have to be somewhat processed or at least frozen to be able to be carried in grocery stores across the country? I know there are many chains that have fresh food/salad bar areas, both of those are usually filled with company recipes. I can't see a chain adding something new to that part of their business. Even frozen meals have a tremendous amount of sodium, or are heavy on rice/pasta/cheese. I think these "food inventions" will be about as healthy as bagel chips.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 16 Aug 2012, 22:52

maybe!
who knows
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 07 Sep 2012, 16:19

cindigirl wrote:I think it's true that working with George doesn't open any doors. I read today from someone who lives in LA and is part of show business that Stacy's supermarket show is done with. Don't know for sure if it's true, but I can understand that because I don't think too, too many people would be interested in a supermarket supply show.

Way2Old4Dis wrote:As for SK's food product show (if it indeed is off; I have no idea), there are lots of possibilities. Could be that the concept was floated and approved, and the call put out for contestants, but there just wasn't enough (or enough quality) response to build a show around. But it sounds like the show was past that stage, if SK was named as the host. So it could be that the content wasn't compelling or dramatic enough. Which would mean the producers couldn't sell advertising; that dooms any show. Could be the sponsors (prizes, mentors, etc) didn't come through. Or maybe it's being held back as a replacement for another show. Or... everybody realized it was just bad and canned it.

It sounds like they tried to do a cross between Shark Tank and one of the chef competition shows, which actually isn't that awful an idea, but it's not something that can be done well on a low budget, IMO.
So, you're saying that they are not going to even film it CindiGirl? Oh dear. Missed out on Dancing, Khloe has X-Factor sewn up, oops. Maybe George slammed the door hard? Called in one too many favors perhaps?

Last edited by Katiedot on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 06:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added quotes)
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Fri 07 Sep 2012, 16:34

Hi mel, the exact statement is "done filming." Sounds like it was just a temporary gig, and not a reality type show as I thought.

Sent you a PM.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 07 Sep 2012, 16:53

cindigirl wrote:Hi mel, the exact statement is "done filming." Sounds like it was just a temporary gig, and not a reality type show as I thought.

So, how did they film it without her, I wonder...? Will she not have any interaction with the contestants or judges? No live show component? Strange.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Lifetime Picks Up Reality Series For Food Product Inventors Hosted By Stacy Keibler - Page 2 Empty temp thread

Post by melbert Fri 07 Sep 2012, 17:53

Just had a thought - I know, hard for me to imagine too!!! Some of these "reality type" shows are filmed months in advance and then the finale (grand prize) is given live. So, she could have filmed it before even going to Italy. I still don't think it will be renewed for years to come. Kind of a one-trick-pony show.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 08 Sep 2012, 06:40

I've just moved some posts from another thread to this one. And Mel, hope you don't mind but there were two posts I couldn't move so I added them as quotes to your post so that the conversation makes sense.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 08 Sep 2012, 10:15

Maybe this is what SK was working on at the time of the White House Reporters dinner........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:53

Video from jewellery event - Stacy states that the show will start filming in Jan 2013 and air from May onwards. That's outside of the rating period and sweeps isn't it? Is that summer fill-in??

Link to video
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 15 Sep 2012, 15:51

Hi Watching!! Hello!
I think you're right about a summer fill-in show. They have alot of those so that they don't compete with the regular fall line-up of the returning programs and the new ones scheduled.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sat 15 Sep 2012, 19:27

When does Monuments start filming? If she is filming in Jan then he might be in Europe for his film. I also noted in the video that she said she likes to cook too. I got the impression she might start her own food line....or was that my imagination?

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooneygirl Sat 15 Sep 2012, 21:45

Thanks for posting the video, Watching.

Maybe it's just me, but she seems a little condescending. I really have a hard time believing she doesnt know who is on DWTS. My favorite part was when she said her style was "pretty elegant." Shocked
Clooneygirl
Clooneygirl
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Sat 15 Sep 2012, 22:21

She's not her usual bubbly self in the video. Very flat and seems very disinterested in everything. Even talking about her new show she doesnt come across as very enthusiastic even though she said she was super excited. She managed to get it that she has been in Europe for the summer just in case the whole world didn't know. I had to laugh when she talked about the sacrifices she makes when walking the red carpet. Does the girl even know what sacrifice means? put it on the list with humble for stacy to look up in that big book that has all the words in it.
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by The next mrs clooney Sat 15 Sep 2012, 22:23

Is it just me or did she seem to clam up when asked what she was doing in Europe??
The next mrs clooney
The next mrs clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Sat 15 Sep 2012, 22:52

The next mrs clooney wrote:She's not her usual bubbly self in the video. Very flat and seems very disinterested in everything. Even talking about her new show she doesnt come across as very enthusiastic even though she said she was super excited. She managed to get it that she has been in Europe for the summer just in case the whole world didn't know. I had to laugh when she talked about the sacrifices she makes when walking the red carpet. Does the girl even know what sacrifice means? put it on the list with humble for stacy to look up in that big book that has all the words in it.

Don't make light of her plight. Her feet were in terrible pain from the $5,000 designer heels she was FORCED to wear all night; her ears were sore from the ginormous diamond earrings she HAD to wear for free; and the gazillion dollar straight-off-the-runway evening dresses she was loaned were terribly snug. An awards show red carpet is basically a cross between the Bataan death march and the Trail of Tears; your snarkiness is insensitive. Sad
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sat 15 Sep 2012, 23:02

I didn't want to be snarky today but thought the same thing about DWTS...it was Italy not the middle of nowhere. I am sure she knows who is on it....she apparently met up with one of the dancers (Maksim) because he tweeted about it.

I remember an interview Celine Dion gave once about how beauty is not about comfort (I think she was talking about her wedding gown and I am paraphrasing)...,some people think that way. I on the other hand am all about comfort Wink

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by EEOsandy Sat 15 Sep 2012, 23:06

And Missa, don't forget about that wretched unattractive boring man she had to endure on her arm all night. As we say down south, bless her heart. pityviolin

And I call BS on her not knowing who the DWTS all stars were. I've got to think she couldn't wait to find out.
EEOsandy
EEOsandy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 16 Sep 2012, 00:20

I agree
the interview is strange

she is strange.... Confuzzled
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by m4rose Sun 16 Sep 2012, 00:44

What I thought was weird was the fact she knew nothing about the show she is on......the Reporter didn't seem all that prepared as well. Either that or she was thrown Stacy and told to interview her and the reporter was like, who the frick frack is this and what does she do?
m4rose
m4rose
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle Sun 16 Sep 2012, 01:25

I agree with m4rose. That interviewer didn't even seem to know who she was. When she asked what she was doing in Europe all summer I got the feeling she didn't even know Stacy was dating George. She definitely wasn't her peppy self.

noodle
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Sun 16 Sep 2012, 01:50

Ummm Yeah, and these snits we find ourselves entangled up in sometimes, makes us feel really bad sometimes, mad other times. Maybe put some make up on and go dancing with a friend... some bubbly maybe. might hit the spot... Drink 3
NotAvailable
NotAvailable
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 02:10

m4rose wrote:What I thought was weird was the fact she knew nothing about the show she is on......the Reporter didn't seem all that prepared as well. Either that or she was thrown Stacy and told to interview her and the reporter was like, who the frick frack is this and what does she do?
"who the frick frack is this and what does she do?"LOL!
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 12 Oct 2012, 06:41

A brief mention here. Thanks to Henway for finding this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cynthia Littleton

Variety

October 10, 2012

Harvey Weinstein is back in familiar stomping grounds this week -- Cannes -- for his first go-round at the Mipcom global TV sales market.

If current trends at the Weinstein Co. continue, he could become as much of a fixture at the fall TV confab as he is at the glitzy spring film fest.

Weinstein's keynote address to the Mipcom crowd today signals the growing importance of television production to TWC's fortunes. The company has a dozen series projects in various stages of development and production, including its unscripted franchises "Project Runway" and "Mob Wives" (and their offshoots); a new foodie reality skein, "Supermarket Superstar," hosted by Stacy Keibler; and "Trailer Park Lives" for TLC.

On the drama front, the Weinstein Co. has teamed with Ryan Seacrest Prods. and Gotham gumshoe Bo Dietl to develop a private eye vehicle for FX. A big-budget priority for the company is its ambitious costume drama "Marco Polo," which has a 10-episode order from Starz and is set to lense in China next summer for a 2014 bow.

Weinstein, co-chief of TWC, is engaged in the creative development of skeins with his longtime lieutenant Meryl Poster, who heads TV operations. He's enjoying working in a different medium, and as a businessman, he believes that diversifying into TV will help his 7-year-old indie weather the inevitable volatility of the feature biz.

"The financial model of TV is incredibly appealing," Weinstein told Variety. "The ability to make a ton of money is there at any given moment. We can take these shows like 'Project Runway' and 'Mob Wives' and build huge franchises around them. Every idea you have for a show can become three if you play it right. It's invigorating."

Weinstein Co. and its Miramax predecessor had dabbled on and off in smallscreen biz for years, but the effort to build up a dedicated TV division was galvanized two years ago when former Miramax production prexy Poster rejoined the Weinstein fold.

This time around, Poster told Weinstein that her interest was in television. That was all he needed to hear.

"Meryl coming back rekindled the best creative relationship I've ever had," Weinstein said. Perhaps the most impressive part of TWC's TV biz is that the company has maintained ownership of its shows and its copyrights. With "Marco Polo" and other scripted development, the Weinstein Co. has demonstrated its ability to deficit-finance when necessary.

In the unscripted arena, where many production companies are essentially doing work for hire, the Weinstein Co. insists on retaining control. Under the direction of chief operating officer David Glasser, TWC has walked away from deals in the past over the ownership issue. Controlling the copyrights allows Weinstein Co. to profit from international sales, format licensing, merchandising and other ancillary businesses.

It even has a team focused solely on orchestrating product placement deals for its shows. This year, TWC is also taking control of international TV distribution for the first time, after pacting in the past with outside distribs like Fremantle and Ben Silverman's Electus. Glasser has been pleasantly surprised to find that the company already has relationships through its feature business with many key Euro buyers such as Germany's ProSieben.

"All of these partners that we're already doing business with on the feature side, their doors are open to us for TV," Glasser said. "It's great to come into the market with shows we control that already have (U.S.) series orders."

The growth spurt in TV comes as the 7-year-old TWC has also enjoyed a solid run with its feature slate during the past few years. But Weinstein's been in the biz long enough to know that all hot streaks come to an end. (With characteristic enthusiasm, however, Weinstein assures that the pic slate for the coming year is "looking better than the last four years put together.")

At some point, he concedes, the company will need to lean on the sturdy cash flow provided by successful TV series. "Two years from now or so I'm sure we'll hit a rough patch," Weinstein said. "Building a strong independent TV business that doesn't tap too much of our financial resources will really smooth the ride for all of us financially. I only regret that we didn't start doing it earlier."
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sat 13 Oct 2012, 21:22

EEOsandy wrote:Hmmm...this picture is from April. We were referencing how it looked so staged. Probably no connection, but interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've been in this Whole Foods. Ya gotta pass a Vons to get there! Brahahahaha!

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 13 Oct 2012, 21:52

What's a Vons please ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Sat 13 Oct 2012, 21:53

Joanna wrote:What's a Vons please ?

Joanna, it's the name of a popular grocery chain in California.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 13 Oct 2012, 23:23

OK thanks Lighterside.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next