George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home. LA May 2012

+43
janieb
doris day
playfuldeb
LaProfessora
Merlin
Clooneygirl
tzizz
fava
socimar
bellybaby
adgran
EEOsandy
laetval
fluffy
davidarochelle
LyndaGirl
Vi
Michelle meyers
Joanna
Atalante
Maggy
Astras
watching
m4rose
MyGirlKylie
LornaDoone
Pari
bamboochacha
lucy
blubelle
The next mrs clooney
pattygirl
annemarie
MM
Lakin460
silly girl
party animal - not!
lelacorb
it's me
cindigirl
melbert
Katiedot
Duffy
47 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 Empty Re: George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home. LA May 2012

Post by cindigirl Tue 01 May 2012, 22:03

If I'm looking at the right picture, I don't know if you realize but it's me photo was taken a while ago and George's hair was then more pepper that salt. And notice President Obama's hair, black - not grey.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home.  LA May 2012 - Page 3 Empty Re: George Clooney hosted Obama fundraiser at his home. LA May 2012

Post by Astras Wed 02 May 2012, 00:01

Well, since I've not been notified, I'm assuming I didn't win. Pffffft. I guess it's on to plan B... Laughing

Astras
Astras
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 02 May 2012, 01:56

Me too Astras! What do you think about jumping out of an airplane and landing in George's pool?
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Wed 02 May 2012, 13:44

George Clooney Has a Better Presidential Party Mansion Than Reese Witherspoon
ByJulie Miller
6:00 PM, May 1 2012

You know that approximately $40,000/plate fund-raiser that your friend George Clooney is hosting on May 10? The same $40,000/plate dinner whose value was crudely estimated by campaign staff to be just $200? And the same one that you would certainly be attending if you hadn’t already made plans for that night with friends you’ve already canceled on like three times and can’t bring yourself to cancel on again? Well, as it turns out, the event was not always supposed to be hosted by occasional Obama dinner partner George Clooney. According to The Hollywood Reporter, campaign officials surveyed the L.A. metro area for the coolest (and most presidential) party mansion before deciding on Clooney’s abode.

In addition to the Oscar winner’s house—already opened to political supporters of all kinds in February—organizers considered the Brentwood home of Reese Witherspoon. The actress, who attended this year’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner in D.C., was reportedly looking for ways to become more involved with the president’s re-election campaign. Organizers also dismissed the idea of an L.A.-area hotel ballroom, and if they have any of the same considerations as your high-school prom committee, passed on the local science center, the aquarium, and, most annoyingly, that awesome cruise ship that promises a “dance club atmosphere.” DreamWorks Animation head Jeffrey Katzenberg was originally slated to host the event, but construction on his Beverly Hills estate will not be finished in time.

Alas, Clooney’s house is already working out just fine: the fund-raiser has reportedly pulled in $10 million, making it the most lucrative Obama-campaign event to date.

Source
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 02 May 2012, 16:03

melbert wrote:Me too Astras! What do you think about jumping out of an airplane and landing in George's pool?

.....and then having to use his private en suite to get dry etc etc ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 02 May 2012, 17:53

According to The Hollywood Reporter, campaign officials surveyed the L.A. metro area for the coolest (and most presidential) party mansion before deciding on Clooney’s abode.
Anyone want to bet on how much time they spent surveying alternatives? 5 seconds? 10?

You can imagine the conversation, can't you?

"Hey, we could do it at George Clooney's place!"
"Or . . . nah. Clooney's is perfect"
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 02 May 2012, 17:57

G with Obama?
guess that was an old pic, hon

the occasion in wich later some guy made that

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

working on that shot, right near G Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle meyers Wed 02 May 2012, 21:45

I didn't win either. I guess it's just my luck. last time I tried to meet Obama I stood in a long line then got to the front of the line and there was a huge ruckus and me and the crowd closest to the front got knocked away from the crowd. Which wasn't hard... I'm 5 foot two Censored
Michelle meyers
Michelle meyers
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Fri 04 May 2012, 13:47

This article doesn't mention Malibu as the location. It refers to George's Studio City home.

George Clooney-President Obama fundraiser to rake in $12 MILLION

It pays to have friends in high places. George Clooney's May 10 fundraiser for President Obama is expected to rake in an astonishing $12 million - making it the biggest presidential fund-raiser in U.S. history.

Campaign sources told The Hollywood Reporter that 150 bigwig celebs, studio heads and entertainment industry execs are forking over $40,000 a head to have dinner with the President at the actor's Studio City, Calif. home.

Besides the $6 million from the dinner alone, the President's re-reelection team is conducting an online sweepstakes, with the winner to receive two seats at the head table with the Hollywood heartthrob and commander-in-chief.

The contest, in which donors are asked to give as little as $3 to the campaign, is expected to also bring in approximately $6 million.
When the cash bash was initially announced in April, Clooney told "Entertainment Tonight" that he was "proud to do whatever I can to support the President…as long as no one asks me to sing."

Republicans meanwhile are attacking Obama for being a "Hollywood President." A new ad by American Crossroads, which backs GOP candidates, shows Obama's appearances on Jimmy Fallon and Ellen DeGeneres during his first White House run.

The narrator asks, "Four years ago, Americans elected the biggest celebrity in the world. And America got one cool President." He then asks, "After four years of a celebrity president, is your life any better?"

Source
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy Fri 04 May 2012, 14:04

I did wonder if this was Gee's idea but apparently not! That kinda answers the question of who's arranging the bash, not George!! It must all be "taken over" by the Presidents people which probably means the guest list too! I wonder if there will be a significant "no show" which could be attributed to " well it's out my hands"???? Maybe also they'll leave in the "bugs n spy stuff"!! Just be careful if you're visiting Gee in the future, you never know who's peeking at you!!! affraid
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Fri 04 May 2012, 18:42

I'm very proud !

He will be a very honor host at his home

for POTUS and the guests

yep
Vi
Vi
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Tue 08 May 2012, 09:15

The invitation for a sold-out fundraiser on behalf of President Barack Obama at the Studio City home of actor George Clooney to be held on Thursday, May 10. According to reports in The Hollywood Reporter, between the contributions from the 150 well-heeled guests and on-line donations, the event could raise some 12 million dollars, making it the largest single fundraiser in presidential history.
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 08 May 2012, 10:09

George was very impressed by the dining tables when he went for dinner in Houston, calling them "big ass tables"
I wonder if they gave him some inspiration for his
dining tables on Thursday ?
I hope we get some pictures of them.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by EEOsandy Tue 08 May 2012, 20:16

From TMZ

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Obama Fundraiser
Wolfgang Puck To Sling
Food at Clooney's Event

Exclusive

When you're as famous as George Clooney, throwing a mega-fundraiser for someone as famous as the leader of the free world, you want a caterer as famous as Wolfgang Puck.

TMZ has learned ... the Spago impresario has been hired to feed the 150 people who are each shelling out $40,000 to rub elbows with Obama at George Clooney's house this Thursday.

Our sources say Wolfgang and company have signed a confidentiality agreement and have been told in no uncertain terms to treat the event as top secret.

We're told there will be a special menu -- not the standard Wolfgang catering -- and, as one source put it, "The food is going to be a lot better than the Oscars" -- Wolfgang caters the Governor's Ball that follows the academy awards.
EEOsandy
EEOsandy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by davidarochelle Tue 08 May 2012, 20:21

Wonder if they offer "doggie bags" for those who don't want to gain weight eating all of that delicious food? Will Eins Clooney be locked away or on a playdate?
davidarochelle
davidarochelle
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 08 May 2012, 20:45

I bet Uggie will DogCrash after Einstein lets him in through
the back door ! Love3
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Tue 08 May 2012, 21:06

Thanks Sandy, saw this on twitter but my work computer won't let me read tmz. I am sure the food will be good but kind a back handed compliment to say it will be better than the Oscars... Wink

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Tue 08 May 2012, 23:51

George Clooney holding a fundraiser at his Studio City home for President Barack Obama on Thursday

By Susan Abram, Staff Writer
Posted: 05/08/2012 03:17:49 PM PDT
Updated: 05/08/2012 03:20:25 PM PDT

Residents in Studio City are cautiously excited about President Barack Obama's visit to the area on Thursday for a fundraiser hosted by actor George Clooney.

At least 150 people are expected for the dinner party at Clooney's Studio City home in the hills off Laurel Canyon Boulevard. Published reports estimate Obama will raise as much as $12 million for his reelection campaign.

That's all fine and good, residents say, but what will this shindig do to traffic?

The secret service is mum and won't reveal road closures until the last minute, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

"It's sort of an irritant," said Alan Dymond, president of the Studio City Residents Association, of the lack of information.

Dymond said residents will receive updates on Twitter, when more information is available. "I think the secret service is being pragmatic about it," Dymond said.

"People understand that this is part of living in Studio City."

Los Angeles City Councilman Paul Krekorian issued a small statement on Twitter Thursday, confirming the president's visit.

"The president is slated to visit the Studio City hills this week," he wrote. "We're in the process of getting information (regarding) road closures, detours, etc. But please be aware there could be instances when you may be rerouted if you live in the region."

Fiona Hutton lives just a few homes away from Clooney. Trucks filled with party supplies have

rumbled up and down the road all morning, she said.
The night before, military helicopters roared over her home.

"I think there's a lot of excitement in the air," she said. "There's a lot of buzz in Studio City about the visit. It's not very often you can say the president is visiting your street."

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 09 May 2012, 01:05

I wonder if there'll be protesters with banners at
the gate of Casa Clooney ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy Wed 09 May 2012, 01:43

Don't think S.S. would allow it, but who knows after their recent behavior in South America.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by adgran Wed 09 May 2012, 01:46

Joanna wrote:I bet Uggie will DogCrash after Einstein lets him in through
the back door ! Love3

That would be fantastic fun! I actually think the Pres should bring Bo along. Surely "they guys" could bond over a bone while their dads made nice with the donors. Laughing

adgran
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Wed 09 May 2012, 13:29

Obamajam moves to uncharted territory: the Valley
By Kevin Roderick | May 9, 2012 12:17 AM
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on facebook_like
President Obama returns to Los Angeles on Thursday to separate more Democrats from their $40,000. Recent trips, as you surely remember, have caused a fair bit of angst and frustration depending on where and when the Obama entourage travels through city streets. Who can forget the fundraising visit in 2010 that shut down some Miracle Mile-area streets for hours, or the unscheduled stop at Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles last year that dealt a lot of people's careful detour plans a fatal blow. The point of all that, though, is that the president comes to Los Angeles so often to raise money and his patterns have become fairly predictable. Many people have learned to navigate around the Obamajams.

Wonderful are the directions to get from George!

But this time it's different. He's headed to the Valley, to the home of actor George Clooney in Studio City. Thanks to that sappy CBS special a few months ago, we know what Clooney's house looks like inside and the neighborhood where it is located — in Fryman Canyon, just off Laurel Canyon Boulevard near Wilacre Park. (And I think we can deduce he enjoys the virtual company of CBS' Lara Logan.)

And that's about it. We know from the White House that Obama will arrive at LAX on Air Force One pretty late in Thursday's drive-time crush — about 6:20 p.m. We know he'll be staying overnight, departing LAX on Friday morning a little after 10 a.m.

But how he will get across the Santa Monica Mountains to Studio City, whether by copter or motorcade — and where he will spend the night — and how it will all impact Los Angeles traffic — we just don't know yet. City officials would like to know. Neighborhood groups would like to know. Demonstrators hope to make their presence be noticed — they would like to know.

There are plenty of parks, golf courses, schools and other places to land a copter in the area, and thus avoid a big cross-town disruption. On the Westside recent Obama visits have utilized parks in Cheviot Hills and Brentwood. So it wouldn't surprise me if he flies to the Valley. But will he be staying back in Beverly Hills, as usual?

Meanwhile, guests will be bused in to the Clooney property. Some guests are paying $40,000 to attend, and this fundraiser is already being called the most lucrative ever in a presidential campaign.

Obama has been to the Valley before as president — to NBC in Burbank to be on with Jay Leno, and to Glendale to chat a little with Piolin. But this appears to be the first time he's stopped at a private home there.

lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Wed 09 May 2012, 13:37

I saw that George has a really big dining table, but the house itself didn't look terribly big - or should I say the rooms didn't look very spacious. Where do you think they'll put additional tables? Or do you think they'll do the buffet/ sit wherever.....for $40k?

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Wed 09 May 2012, 14:14

I think they're going to convert the basketball court into a glamorous dining area. I even fancy there will be some type of live music and perhaps dancing after dinner. But all that is conjecture and my fantasies workin overtime!
Lakin460
Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle meyers Wed 09 May 2012, 17:15

How's this for a coincidence. my phone woke me up this morning from the lady that runs my local chapter for Obama and she asked me to phone bank tomorrow evening Smile

Michelle meyers
Michelle meyers
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 09 May 2012, 17:20

Bank ? Are they taking all your money out Michelle ? LOL
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 09 May 2012, 17:24

lelacorb wrote:And that's about it. We know from the White House that Obama will arrive at LAX on Air Force One pretty late in Thursday's drive-time crush — about 6:20 p.m. We know he'll be staying overnight, departing LAX on Friday morning a little after 10 a.m.

Now that Obama's arrival and departure times from LAX is announced on the Internet, making it common knowledge to any nutcase reading it, I just hope security for him is double enforced. I'm sure security will be tight but announcing the exact times is foolhardy. Unless they "faked" the exact times.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 09 May 2012, 17:28

He's going to arrive right after noon and he and George are going to kick back in the screening room and watch recorded backetballs games!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 09 May 2012, 17:41

OK mel, let's go with that. LOL
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Wed 09 May 2012, 19:33

Quote from Huffington Post today:
"We're not sure what Clooney has planned for entertainment Thursday night, but based on a tour of his home, may we suggest a one-on-one basketball game between actor and President? Shirts vs. skins, please."

Looks like you were right mel.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 09 May 2012, 19:57

Some pictures of George's front gate here.
Can someone who knows it, confirm that please ?

82°

Plans for Obama at George Clooney's House?
They're Still a Mystery
Rumors of closing down Laurel Canyon Boulevard are still just that–nothing confirmed.
But Patch will bring it all to you.
By Mike Szymanski Email the author 1:26 am
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 09 May 2012, 20:54

I don't think thats the front of his house. From the music video he did the house looks to be farther away from the front gate.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Thu 10 May 2012, 01:49

George Clooney's Obama fundraiser uses star power with a twist
May 10, 2012

As political fundraisers go, it's set to be an "Avengers"-sized blockbuster: One hundred and fifty wealthy Democrats will dine with President Obama at George Clooney's Studio City home Thursday night, at a party that organizers expect to gross $15 million for the president's re-election campaign — the highest amount ever raised at such an event.

High-profile guests including Robert Downey Jr., Tobey Maguire, Barbra Streisand, director-producer J.J. Abrams, producer Nina Jacobson, Creative Artists Agency partner Bryan Lourd and ICM President Chris Silbermann are attending the dinner, which was organized by DreamWorks Animation Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg and his political advisor, Andy Spahn.

But the Hollywood VIPs paying $40,000 a ticket will account for just over one-third of Obama's haul Thursday night; the rest is coming from members of the general public lured by an online contest that has astutely leveraged Clooney and Obama's joint star power. Tens of thousands of Americans have contributed donations averaging $23 each for a chance to win a ticket to the soiree. Two winners and their guests will attend the party, where the president is expected to discuss policy in the low-key environment of Clooney's canyon home over a dinner catered by Wolfgang Puck.

Recognizing the dual appeal of Obama and Clooney, the campaign pitched the contest to potential contributors in emails with subjects like "Clooney and me," "A little fun" and "We'll take care of airfare." A random drawing narrowed the pool of finalists down to 50, and the campaign then planned to do background checks on those 50 before notifying the two winners, whose identities will be revealed Thursday.

"It's a stunning turnout of support, and what's really interesting to me is that almost two-thirds of the money is coming from grass-roots support, from the 99%," Katzenberg said. The full-ticket-price guests will come from a number of industries in Los Angeles, he said, including movies, TV, music, finance, law and healthcare.

Though the dinner will help fill Obama's coffers, it's not entirely without risk. The lucrative, starry affair is bringing attention to Obama's show business ties just as his campaign is fending off criticism that he's more pop culture hotshot than effective statesman. A recent ad from the pro-GOP super PAC American Crossroads mocked Obama as a "celebrity president," cutting together clips of him appearing on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" and singing Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" with dreary statistics on unemployment and student loan debt.

"This event will help Obama regain some of his cool," said GOP media strategist Fred Davis, whose 2008 ad for John McCain compared candidate Obama to Paris Hilton. "But they're missing the point if they think cool is gonna re-elect him. We managed to get people to question whether they wanted celebrity or they wanted competence. This time around I think that's the question … the contrast between him as a talk show host versus someone who can actually get in there — and maybe is not as glib or as charming — but can get the job done."

In 2008, Hollywood helped catapult Obama into the White House, as contributions and endorsements poured in from celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Leonardo DiCaprio and Will Ferrell, and will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas produced the viral, pro-Obama music video "Yes We Can" featuring famous faces like Scarlett Johansson and John Legend.

As Obama's term has progressed, though, some Hollywood liberals have expressed disappointment that he has not been more forceful on issues such as the environment and closing Guantanamo Bay. And one policy important to many in the entertainment industry — legislation to curtail online piracy — has so far failed to find support in the White House.

With the general election just gearing up, many in Hollywood are beginning to assess how involved they'll be in the race this time around.

Widely appealing stars like Clooney have value for a campaign beyond their deep pockets — they can be a potent tool for attracting interest among those who pay less attention to politics, according to USC professor Steven Ross, author of the book "Hollywood Left and Right: How Movie Stars Shaped American Politics."

"Clooney is not gonna alienate, like, say, Sean Penn would," said Ross, who compares the Oscar-winning star of films including "The Descendants" and "The Ides of March" to politically active actors of yesteryear like Gregory Peck and John Wayne. "His image is as a moderate, well-spoken, serious man who has done serious work."

Coming just a week after Obama officially kicked off his re-election campaign and as Mitt Romney has been all but crowned as the Republican nominee, the Clooney event is well-timed to take advantage of Southern California's traditional role as a cornerstone of Democratic campaign financing.

"The campaign is heating up," said Ken Solomon, co-chairman of the Obama campaign's finance committee for Southern California. "This is the first event where we really have the clear face of the competition. You've got an energized base in that the election is really on and we know who it is we're running against. Plus, it's George Clooney's house. Clearly that has something to do with it."

Fundraising events similar in size and intimacy to the Clooney party typically raise between $1 million and $4 million. Whether Obama will use similar online contests to replicate the success of the Clooney dinner with other celebrity supporters and hosts remains to be seen. But Ross predicted that as the president attempts to draw a wider swath of the public to the polls, including young voters, entertainment shows and personalities will become an increasingly crucial part of his campaign.

"Entertainment is gonna become part of the protein of the campaign, not just the dessert," he said.

As much as the Clooney event is expected to draw, its haul could be dwarfed by the unlimited donations flowing to so-called super PACs, the product of several federal court rulings, including the Supreme Court's 2010 decision in the Citizens United case. Talk show host Bill Maher, who gave $1 million to the pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA Action, is not attending the Clooney fundraiser.

"Ironically, that's the chump change in this election," Maher said of events like the $40,000-a-plate Clooney dinner. "That's not where this country has moved. This is a fairly new atmosphere we live in with Citizens United. Most of the rich donors are Republicans. I was trying to make the point that if you want to even the playing field, the people who have money on the left really have to get in the game. And most of them are here in California."

Katzenberg has contributed more than $2 million to Priorities USA himself — "sometimes you must actually fight fire with fire," he said — but he views a fundraiser like the Clooney event as more valuable in the long run because it's transparent and reflects the support of a wider cross-section of donors.

"Every dollar that is given legitimately through national campaigns, through proper legal channels, is worth five times or 10 times every dollar that's given through PACs," he said.

Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times

Link
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Thu 10 May 2012, 01:58

Obama's gay marriage support resonates in Calif.
By LISA LEFF, Associated Press
Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Perhaps more than any other politician, California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom understands the political risk President Barack Obama took Wednesday when he announced that he supports same-sex marriages. It was only eight years ago, after all, that Newsom became something of a Democratic Party pariah and a fall guy for President George Bush's reelection because of his own endorsement of gay marriage.

As the new mayor of San Francisco in 2004, he directed city offices to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, a month-long exercise in civil disobedience that carried images of two men and two women exchanging vows into American living rooms for the first time. But if Newsom's experience is any guide, Obama also stands to reap some rewards for his historic stand, the lieutenant governor and gay political leaders in California said.

Among the benefits are loyalty from many Hollywood donors and gay, lesbian and young voters — constituents who are now likely to support Obama's reelection bid with renewed enthusiasm.

"I have a sense of optimism and gratitude and personal gratification that he's willing to put his entire political career on the line in this way," Newsom said. "Overwhelmingly those who have the courage to stand up on this issue have survived."

Gay marriages remain illegal in California while the fate of Proposition 8, the constitutional amendment that outlawed same-sex unions in 2008, remains tied up in the courts. The most recent Field Poll of registered voters, published in February, found that 59 percent endorse gay marriage rights. When Proposition 8 passed in November 2008, the figure stood at 49 percent. Fred Karger, a gay Southern California resident who is running as a Republican candidate for president this year and will appear on the June 5 GOP primary ballot with Mitt Romney, half-jokingly said in a message to his supporters Wednesday that, "It's nice to have another presidential candidate on board for full equality."

On a more serious note, Karger said in an interview that Obama's evolution would disarm gay marriage opponents of a powerful rhetorical weapon. In 2008, Proposition 8's backers used a snippet of Obama explaining his opposition to same-sex marriage rights in a robo-call to California voters, and have continued citing the president's now-relinquished view to maintain they speak for the mainstream.

"Now, Republicans and Democrats cannot use that line," Karger said.

Obama is scheduled to be in California twice for fundraisers during the next month, one at the home of actor George Clooney on Thursday night and another aimed specifically at gay donors on June 6. Movie producer Bruce Cohen, a founding board member of the group funding the court fight to overturn Proposition 8, predicted that the president's new position will have a huge effect on his reception at the events.

"Up to this point, I've had moderate success raising funds for the June 6 event. After this point, I expect to have a lot more success," Cohen said. "I'm excited to go out to everyone again, because now there is no, `Please, just hold on and grin and bear it.' There is no apology needed in the plea for his reelection."

Chloe Harris Frankeny, a San Francisco magazine editor who married her wife, Frankie, in the weeks before Proposition 8's passage, said the couple always knew Obama would eventually support same-sex marriages but "kind of suspected he would lame duck it" and wait until after November. Frankeny now feels like she has a lot to hope for. "When he spoke today, I thought, OK, I'm in. I will donate now," she said. "There was never any doubt I would vote for him in this election, but now I feel compelled to support him in a way I might not have before."

Newsom said Obama showed courage taking the position so close to an election but added the president had been in an untenable position because the longer he avoided the gay marriage issue, the more he alienated his base."The brand was being impacted, the president's brand of being an authentic leader, of not reading the polls but changing the polls," Newsom said.

Source
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by bamboochacha Thu 10 May 2012, 04:40

laetval wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The invitation for a sold-out fundraiser on behalf of President Barack Obama at the Studio City home of actor George Clooney to be held on Thursday, May 10. According to reports in The Hollywood Reporter, between the contributions from the 150 well-heeled guests and on-line donations, the event could raise some 12 million dollars, making it the largest single fundraiser in presidential history.

So, it looks like an invite but it is actually an order form for tickets? Is that correct? LOL LOL LOL LOL flower
bamboochacha
bamboochacha

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 10 May 2012, 07:05

Joanna wrote:Some pictures of George's front gate here.
Can someone who knows it, confirm that please ?
Yes, that looks like the entrance to his guest house (the one next to the basketball court).

Here's the rest of the article from that link:

Plans for Obama at George Clooney's House? They're Still a Mystery
Rumors of closing down Laurel Canyon Boulevard are still just that–nothing confirmed. But Patch will bring it all to you.

By Mike Szymanski

Some residents in the Fryman Canyon area have heard that Laurel Canyon Boulevard will be closed.

Others have heard helicopters (military kinds) scouring the area.

Police cars have been patrolling a lot more along Ventura Boulevard and Laurel Canyon Avenue than ever before.

Could it all be that President Obama is coming to town on Thursday?

Studio City resident George Clooney is hosting the president, and local police and governmental officials are still waiting to get word from someone, anyone, about what is going to be shut down, or how the local residents will be affected.

Communications director Jeremy Oberstein for Paul Krekorian, the Los Angeles City Council Member who represents the area, posted on their CD2 Facebook page:

Folks, we understand President Obama is slated to visit the hills of Studio City this Thursday. We are in the process of getting information about road closures, detours, etc., but please be aware that there could be instances when you may be rerouted if you live in the region. As soon as we get more information, we will pass it along.

Senior LAPD lead officer for Studio City Mike Lewis does not have detailed information yet from the White House or the Secret Service involving any plans for the 150 guests and the president visiting the house on the small street near Fryman Canyon.

The latest, Lewis said, is "We know the times he is to arrive and depart the party but not the direction he will be taking nor the street closures that will be effect." The rest is up to the Secret Service, in charge of protecting the president.

What is known is:

* It is taking place Thursday afternoon/evening at Clooney's house on Iredell.

* The guests will be brought in by bus from another location, so that parking and traffic will be kept to a minimum.

* The president won't fly in. There is no place for a helicopter to land on Clooney's property, so that is not likely to happen.

* The area around Fryman Canyon won't have a bunch of media helicopters because it will [be] a no-fly area around the park and house.

* The people picked for the drawing to go to the party for free have already been notified—just in case you were waiting to hear.

* Councilman Paul Krekorian, the local representative of the area, is not going—at this point.

* There will be no "staging area" or "arrivals" area for audiences or onlookers to see anything, so it's probably best to stay at home and watch what you can on TV, or check back right here at Patch where we'll have whatever footage and photos we can find.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Thu 10 May 2012, 08:56

Clooney's House Under MEGA-Lockdown For Obama Event
Exclusive

George Clooney's L.A. home is getting the Fort Knox treatment for his big Obama fundraiser tonight -- because TMZ has learned, security's so tight ... even the back-up has back-up.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, the U.S. Secret Service will be getting help from the LAPD as well the California Highway Patrol to keep POTUS safe at the event.

We're told the LAPD is even planning to bring in its special Counter Terrorist Unit -- Jack Bauer style.

But that's not enough for Mr. Clooney -- who we're told has taken things a step further ... hiring a special security team to oversee his own personal safety.

As for specific security measures being taken for the event -- we're told roads will be closed off, bomb-sniffing dogs will be prowling, and plain clothes officers will be on the lookout.

Oh yeah, there's also "air support" -- whatever that means.

As we reported, the party's gonna be awesome -- Wolfgang Puck himself will be catering the $40,000-a-plate affair ... and 150 bigwigs are expected to be in attendance.

Bottom line -- crash another party.

Source
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 10 May 2012, 11:31

George Clooney's Obama fundraiser uses star power with a twist
Clooney's Obama fundraiser is expected to raise $15 million, mostly from general public donations for a chance to attend. It comes as fundraising changes.

PICTURE
President Barack Obama talks with actor George Clooney outside the Oval Office in 2010. (Pete Souza, The White House / October 12, 2010)

By Rebecca Keegan, Los Angeles Times
May 10, 2012

As political fundraisers go, it's set to be an "Avengers"-sized blockbuster: One hundred and fifty wealthy Democrats will dine with President Obama at George Clooney's Studio City home Thursday night, at a party that organizers expect to gross $15 million for the president's re-election campaign — the highest amount ever raised at such an event.

High-profile guests including Robert Downey Jr., Tobey Maguire, Barbra Streisand, director-producer J.J. Abrams, producer Nina Jacobson, Creative Artists Agency partner Bryan Lourd and ICM President Chris Silbermann are attending the dinner, which was organized by DreamWorks Animation Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg and his political advisor, Andy Spahn.

But the Hollywood VIPs paying $40,000 a ticket will account for just over one-third of Obama's haul Thursday night; the rest is coming from members of the general public lured by an online contest that has astutely leveraged Clooney and Obama's joint star power. Tens of thousands of Americans have contributed donations averaging $23 each for a chance to win a ticket to the soiree. Two winners and their guests will attend the party, where the president is expected to discuss policy in the low-key environment of Clooney's canyon home over a dinner catered by Wolfgang Puck.

Recognizing the dual appeal of Obama and Clooney, the campaign pitched the contest to potential contributors in emails with subjects like "Clooney and me," "A little fun" and "We'll take care of airfare." A random drawing narrowed the pool of finalists down to 50, and the campaign then planned to do background checks on those 50 before notifying the two winners, whose identities will be revealed Thursday.

"It's a stunning turnout of support, and what's really interesting to me is that almost two-thirds of the money is coming from grass-roots support, from the 99%," Katzenberg said. The full-ticket-price guests will come from a number of industries in Los Angeles, he said, including movies, TV, music, finance, law and healthcare.

Though the dinner will help fill Obama's coffers, it's not entirely without risk. The lucrative, starry affair is bringing attention to Obama's show business ties just as his campaign is fending off criticism that he's more pop culture hotshot than effective statesman. A recent ad from the pro-GOP super PAC American Crossroads mocked Obama as a "celebrity president," cutting together clips of him appearing on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" and singing Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" with dreary statistics on unemployment and student loan debt.

"This event will help Obama regain some of his cool," said GOP media strategist Fred Davis, whose 2008 ad for John McCain compared candidate Obama to Paris Hilton. "But they're missing the point if they think cool is gonna re-elect him. We managed to get people to question whether they wanted celebrity or they wanted competence. This time around I think that's the question … the contrast between him as a talk show host versus someone who can actually get in there — and maybe is not as glib or as charming — but can get the job done."

In 2008, Hollywood helped catapult Obama into the White House, as contributions and endorsements poured in from celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Leonardo DiCaprio and Will Ferrell, and will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas produced the viral, pro-Obama music video "Yes We Can" featuring famous faces like Scarlett Johansson and John Legend.

As Obama's term has progressed, though, some Hollywood liberals have expressed disappointment that he has not been more forceful on issues such as the environment and closing Guantanamo Bay. And one policy important to many in the entertainment industry — legislation to curtail online piracy — has so far failed to find support in the White House.

With the general election just gearing up, many in Hollywood are beginning to assess how involved they'll be in the race this time around.

Widely appealing stars like Clooney have value for a campaign beyond their deep pockets — they can be a potent tool for attracting interest among those who pay less attention to politics, according to USC professor Steven Ross, author of the book "Hollywood Left and Right: How Movie Stars Shaped American Politics."

"Clooney is not gonna alienate, like, say, Sean Penn would," said Ross, who compares the Oscar-winning star of films including "The Descendants" and "The Ides of March" to politically active actors of yesteryear like Gregory Peck and John Wayne. "His image is as a moderate, well-spoken, serious man who has done serious work."

Coming just a week after Obama officially kicked off his re-election campaign and as Mitt Romney has been all but crowned as the Republican nominee, the Clooney event is well-timed to take advantage of Southern California's traditional role as a cornerstone of Democratic campaign financing.

"The campaign is heating up," said Ken Solomon, co-chairman of the Obama campaign's finance committee for Southern California. "This is the first event where we really have the clear face of the competition. You've got an energized base in that the election is really on and we know who it is we're running against. Plus, it's George Clooney's house. Clearly that has something to do with it."

Fundraising events similar in size and intimacy to the Clooney party typically raise between $1 million and $4 million. Whether Obama will use similar online contests to replicate the success of the Clooney dinner with other celebrity supporters and hosts remains to be seen. But Ross predicted that as the president attempts to draw a wider swath of the public to the polls, including young voters, entertainment shows and personalities will become an increasingly crucial part of his campaign.

"Entertainment is gonna become part of the protein of the campaign, not just the dessert," he said.

As much as the Clooney event is expected to draw, its haul could be dwarfed by the unlimited donations flowing to so-called super PACs, the product of several federal court rulings, including the Supreme Court's 2010 decision in the Citizens United case. Talk show host Bill Maher, who gave $1 million to the pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA Action, is not attending the Clooney fundraiser.

"Ironically, that's the chump change in this election," Maher said of events like the $40,000-a-plate Clooney dinner. "That's not where this country has moved. This is a fairly new atmosphere we live in with Citizens United. Most of the rich donors are Republicans. I was trying to make the point that if you want to even the playing field, the people who have money on the left really have to get in the game. And most of them are here in California."

Katzenberg has contributed more than $2 million to Priorities USA himself — "sometimes you must actually fight fire with fire," he said — but he views a fundraiser like the Clooney event as more valuable in the long run because it's transparent and reflects the support of a wider cross-section of donors.

"Every dollar that is given legitimately through national campaigns, through proper legal channels, is worth five times or 10 times every dollar that's given through PACs," he said.

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 10 May 2012, 11:39

Hmmmm...... George Clooney AND Robert Downey Jr
AND Barbra Streisand !

What a feast that would be for me Love3
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by socimar Thu 10 May 2012, 11:51

On THE WASHINGTON POST of this morning, page C2 (Style Section).

Obama heads to Clooney’s
By , Wednesday, May 09,2:47 PM
Looks like Hollywood’s love affair with President Obama is back on — in a big way. As in a $12 million fundraiser at George Clooney’s L.A. mansion Thursday night.

George Clooney raises big bucks.
The party, shaping up to be the largest single presidential fundraiser in U.S. history, was a hot ticket before Obama’s public support for same-sex marriage — an important issue for many heavy-hitters in the entertainment industry. Now Clooney’s sold-out event is expected to be a victory party for A-listers lucky enough to make the cut.

Obama has always enjoyed a cozy relationship with Hollywood’s power players: In 2008, Steven Spielberg, David Geffen, Barbra Streisand, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jodie Foster, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Larry David, Garry Marshall and many more threw their support to the Democratic nominee. Will Smith, Magic Johnson, Antonio Banderas, Melanie Griffith and Eva Longoria held reelection fundraisers last fall; Will Ferrell hosted a February $35,800-per-person event, featuring the Foo Fighters at the estate of soap opera moguls Bradley and Colleen Bell.

Thursday’s fundraiser, hosted by Clooney at his Studio City home and catered by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck, was spearheaded by DreamWorks exec Jeffrey Katzenberg, who quickly persuaded 150 guests to give $40,000 each, raising $6 million. (Demand was so great he tried to limit the guest list to Southern California residents.) The star power of the event was sexy enough for the president’s reelection campaign to add an online sweepstakes for any donor who contributed $3 or more: the winner (announced Thursday) gets two seats with Clooney and Obama at the fundraiser’s head table. The contest is expected to pull in $4 million to $6 million more for the night.

The other headline from the party? Obamajam, the name coined for limolock and the presidential motorcade. Big issue for Clooney’s neighbors, who have another reason to hate driving in L.A.

“From 3 p.m. to 6 at night, traffic in the Valley doesn’t move anyway,” Eric Bauman, chairman of the Los Angeles County Democratic Party, told L.A.’s Daily News. “Having the president here won’t be any different than any other rush hour.”
socimar
socimar

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy Thu 10 May 2012, 12:03

Does anyone know if the President is paying for all this security out of the monies the dinner will bring in???? Just wondered!! Sounds like the pot could be half empty afterwards!
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Thu 10 May 2012, 12:48

No, I'm sure "We the People" will be picking up the tab!! Money well spent, IMO

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 10 May 2012, 12:57

hope the criticism doesn't ruin the day
Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Thu 10 May 2012, 13:07

In one of the previous articles, it was mentioned watching the event on TV - or coverage of parts of it. Anybody know if this is true and if so, where can we watch it (channel, time, etc.) I'm at work and my ability to surf is limited due to firewalls, so please share if info becomes available. Thanks!
Lakin460
Lakin460

Back to top Go down

Post by EEOsandy Thu 10 May 2012, 16:29

This article from the Studio City Patch is about the dinner tonight and George's house in general. Nothing much new here (most is from his Person-to-Person interview), but this: "He lives at the house with his girlfriend Stacey Keibler and rescue Cocker Spaniel dog Einstein.

Didn't Get Your Party Invite? Here's What You're Missing—Inside George Clooney's House

Check out the photos and read some trivia.

By Mike Szymanski
Email the author
6:50 am

Did you miss your invitation to George Clooney's party in Studio City when President Obama is arriving? Or maybe you just didn't have $40,000 in spare change laying around for a ticket.

So you're not one of the lucky 150 going to the party Thursday night, but above is the video of Clooney's house, and the best photos of Clooney in his Fryman Canyon home that Patch can find.

See the detailed video of a tour of his house above, and some secrets about his house.

Also check out this video of the house, CLICK HERE.

Here are some trivia items about his house too.

* There are multiple bars throughout the house.

* The house is 7,354-square-feet.

* Stevie Nicks used to live there during her Fleetwood Mac days.

* He has a mini theater and an authentic popcorn machine.

* The house abuts Fryman Canyon from Wilacre Park, one of the most hiked trails in Los Angeles.

* It is on 3.16 acres.

* The front of his refrigerator is glass.

* Clooney paid $2,827,500.

* Clooney bought the house in 1995, but lived in Studio City at a different address in the hills for year before that.

* It's not accessible to the street very easily because of a large gate out front, which prevents nosy neighbors and photographers.

* He and his famous friends play basketball there a lot. Will Obama shoot some hoops?

* He lives at the house with his girlfriend Stacey Keibler and rescue Cocker Spaniel dog Einstein.

* He used to have two potbellied pigs there, had a permit to have them, and they both lived long lives on the property.

* Says Clooney about his house: "A house is a place that you would live in, but a home is a place where your family and friends are a part of."
EEOsandy
EEOsandy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 10 May 2012, 16:38

Local LA NBC news had an aeral shot of the tent on the tennis court. It's definitely his house. They also noted that Laurel Canyon south of Ventura would be shut down to all traffice except dinner attendees and reisdents who have to show ID to get home. Yes folks, it's gonna be a traffice nightmare in Studio City tonight.

Congrats to whomever won the sweeps to attend.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakin460 Thu 10 May 2012, 17:27

Ok, he NEVER had TWO pigs did he? Is this another example of media misinformation? If so, maybe they're incorrect about Stacy 'living' there?
Lakin460
Lakin460

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 10 May 2012, 17:39

Only one pig. Stacy probably stays there enough to be considered living with him but I doubt she's moved OUT of where she used to live - George would definitely see to that!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 10 May 2012, 17:40

Some updates on Obama's visit to Studio City on Thursday
By Kevin Roderick | May 9, 2012 4:25 PM

Los Angeles City Councilman Paul Krekorian, who represents Studio City, says he has been told that the area south of Ventura Boulevard around Laurel Canyon Boulevard and Fryman Canyon will be pretty much a mess between 8 and 10 p.m. on Thursday.
He also confirms that President Obama will stay overnight in Beverly Hills, as on recent trips.

Obama is due in Los angeles Thursday night to attend
a very high-roller fundraiser at the home of actor
George Clooney in Fryman Canyon.

Dear Neighbor,

As you've likely heard by now, President Barack Obama is passing through the Valley tomorrow evening for a fundraiser in the hills of Studio City. As with any visit from the President, the area will be impacted by road closures and tight security, especially for those who live in the vicinity of Fryman Canyon.

That said, the Department of Transportation and the LAPD are working hard to minimize traffic impacts in the area.

For security reasons, the White House does not disclose exact details about the President's route, but here's what we do know: The President will be landing at LAX around 6 p.m. and will be transported, via helicopter and motorcade, to George Clooney's home, where the fundraiser will be held.

We do not expect that Ventura or Laurel Canyon boulevards, north of Ventura Boulevard, will be closed to traffic. However, there may be limited delays due to neighborhood street closures in the hills and emergency vehicles in the immediate vicinity.

For those driving on Laurel Canyon Boulevard and connecting streets north of Ventura Boulevard, please expect delays and/or road closures from about 5 to 8 p.m. If you live south of Ventura in Studio City, the LAPD has advised us that local access to the area will be virtually sealed off from about 8 to 10 p.m., meaning all local residents will need to show a current photo ID for home access

Police have advised residents in and near Fryman Canyon to stay home or make other arrangements during this time. Everyone else is advised to avoid the area as much as possible.

The President will leave Los Angeles the next morning, after staying the night in Beverly Hills. The police department has assured us that traffic impacts in the Valley will be minimal on Friday.

As always, if you have questions or concerns on this or any other issue, please call my office at (818) 755-7676.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 10 May 2012, 17:48

LornaDoone wrote:Only one pig. Stacy probably stays there enough to be considered living with him but I doubt she's moved OUT of where she used to live - George would definitely see to that!

I'd have thought that she'd see to keeping her own home anyway.
She doesn't appear to be a naive gullible girl to me and she doesn't
need a meal ticket or home provider either.
Best way to be is independent ! IMO Thumbs up!
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next