George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

How does the Corona Virus affect our lives?

4 posters

Go down

How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? Empty How does the Corona Virus affect our lives?

Post by carolhathaway Tue 26 May 2020, 21:38

In Germany, we had a shutdown for seven weeks. All public buildings were closed, so were shops and stores (apart from supermarkets and gas sttations), restaurants, pubs and bars. Hardware stores closed at first (which caused protests because many people worked less hours or stayed home, so they had the time to renovate their homes), so they re-opened. Schools, kindergardens and playgrounds were closed as well, causing a lot of problems for parents who had to go to work or worked from home (people working in health care were allowed to send their kids to emergency childcare). Pupils got their schoolwork and homework via internet or snail mail and sent it back to school. Many people worked from home which caused problems in areas with no stable internet connection. 

We have never been quarantined (as long as we're not infected with the virus or had contact to corona patients) and were always able to go outside. The virus hasn't hit us as hard as other countries like Italy, France or the UK, so now people are critisizing our government's actions as out of scale. I think that the virus didn't hit us as hard because of these actions and because we were so lucky not to be the first European country where the country started in Europe. It's a paradox...
Conspiracy theories are spreading ("I don't know anybody who's been infected, so the virus doesn't exist" or "In our local hospital, there are no corona patients, so it can't be serious"). Protests are led by right-wing politicians who tell everybody that our basic rights are under threat.
In my county, some hundred people are or have been infected, and 23 haven't survived the infection so far. This doesn't seem to be too many, but the first two who died, had lived in the village next to mine, just two miles away from where I live, and one of them was my brother-in-law's uncle. Another one was a old lady from our village who had been infected in our local hospital (some members of the medical staff have been infected). All of them were older, all of them had pre-existing diseases, but this doesn't mean that they were about to die soon anyway.

Our Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a global travel warning in March, and all hotels had to close for tourists. Since it seems to be a basic right for Germans to travel the world, this seemed to be the strictest limitation for many people. They are protesting like crazy, not realizing that nobody stops them from leaving Germany but most other countries don't / didn't allow aliens to enter their territories. And our government had undertaken the largest mission to bring back hundreds of thousands of Germans (mostly tourists) when all countries closed their airports and borders (I had described the problems my collegue's daughter had to come home from New Zealand, she was on one of these flights).

Most shops and restaurants have re-opened now (under restrictions), but many people are hiding off - either because they don't have the money or don't want to join crowds - in many cities, people are just strolling around. Of course, this damages our local economy - like in about every other country. Shops, restaurants and bars have serious problems, while amazon etc are benefitting from the crisis.
We just have a raction to these re-openings: 
After the re-opening party of a restaurant, 20 guests have been infected and hundreds are under quarantine, including the whole management of one of the world's largest dockyards - because one of them was at the party.
And after a service in a Baptist church in Frankfurt, more than 100 people have been infected with the virus. The speaker of the church said yesterday: "Msybe we should have worn masks and shouldn't have sung hymns during the service". Which is either statutory or highly recommended everywhere. So I have a certain feeling about 'We're grown up and don't want to be told by our government what to do!"...

For my husband and myself, both very active in our community, it felt like slamming on the brakes. Suddenly, we are at home every night, there are no meetings, no choir practices, no parties...
It's strange but quite restful. If the virus hadn't stopped everything, I would be organizing a concert of my choir for next Sunday, a visit of a group from our British twin town in July, a womens' soccer tournament with teams from our French and our British twin town (also in July), a party to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Now everything's either cancelled or postponed to next year.

Our twins' lungs are pre-damaged due to their very premature birth, and nobody's able to tell us the effects a Covid19-infection would have on their health. So when their school re-opened two weeks ago, we decided to teach them at home - something which is nearly impossible in normal times. So a school assistant is coming to our home for five hours every day and teaches them, does the schoolwork and homework with them. Sincs my husband and I haven't stopped working, we're grateful for this support.

We are helping my parents and do the shopping for them. I've never spent so much time in our garden at this time of the year, and I do have the impression that the birds are tweeting louder than in other years. If there are more birds since there's less traffic and hardly any planes or if the sound is easier to hear because there's fewer background noise, I don't know. But I absolutely love the result!
I do miss singing with my choir, but some of us and others are meeting at wide places and street crossings in our village and sing simple folk songs for the people for just about 15 minutes every week. It's a sort of meeting, social distancing and doing something for our community at the same time.
I also miss going swimming since our public swimming pools are still closed (and I don't know if I would take the risk after their re-opening).
I don't know if we'll be able to go to Denmark (booked in March 2019), we'll see if that'll be possible. 
I'm really glad that our government takes the virus seriously and has acted appropriately (although they could have acted better, of course, but that's always easy to say in retrospective and when not in charge), didn't tell people to poison themselves.
I just hope will stay save and hope you'll do too!

Last edited by carolhathaway on Tue 26 May 2020, 21:44; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? Empty Re: How does the Corona Virus affect our lives?

Post by carolhathaway Tue 26 May 2020, 21:44

These are my impressions and thoughts about the time. 
If you'd like to share your thoughts and feelings as well, feel free to do so!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

How does the Corona Virus affect our lives? Empty Re: How does the Corona Virus affect our lives?

Post by LizzyNY Thu 28 May 2020, 21:06

Carolhathaway - So much of what you say is true here as well. Because New York was hit especially hard most people (not all) are following the guidelines our governor and mayor set down, even though it's becoming harder as the weather gets nicer and everyone wants to get out more. A quick walk or trip to the grocery store doesn't seem enough.

Because each state acts as if it's a separate country, the rules differ from state to state. Too many are opening up before it's safe because their residents want to go back to work or because they think they're invincible - so, of course cases of the virus are increasing in those states. It seems like the only time any of drumpf's followers realize how serious this is is when they get the virus themselves.

New York is slowly starting to reopen. It's going to be a long time before we get back to anything like normal, but we are making progress.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sat 30 May 2020, 21:49

I also miss going swimming 

This resonates with me I miss the pool .....

I’m humbled by some BIG companies that show compassion and common sense ... and angered by individuals who don’t know the word gratitude....

Im surprised by my ability NOT to cope ... FFS I thought I could cope with anything ....

But this is a Pandemic ..... and the bottom line is:
1. We can cope
2. We can do the impossible 
3. We will rock together as one... for each other. 
4. We will do what it takes, we know what to do and how to do it.
5. We are trained, on board a kicking machine...for as long as it takes. 

Basically the virus is f@cked ...
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Sat 30 May 2020, 22:51

WWHS:  Hug1 from a social distance Smile

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 31 May 2020, 10:59

I love you
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down