George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 8

+6
carolhathaway
Donnamarie
ladybugcngc
party animal - not!
annemarie
LizzyNY
10 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 8

Post by annemarie Sat 11 Apr 2020, 17:35

My daughter works with a woman she has kids last week,she is working from home. She announced she was driving to her parents home even though she knew she shouldn't because she needed help with the kids.

A lot of parents have no idea what to do with their kids, and have even less control of them. How much time do parents ever have to spend with their kids, daycare when they are infants ,pre school at 3 and then kinder garden at what 4 or five.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 11 Apr 2020, 18:47

[size=34]Heroic ER doctor fighting on coronavirus frontline has her four-year-old daughter TAKEN AWAY from her by judge who grants custody to her ex husband 'due to her significantly heightened exposure to Covid-19'[/size]

• Dr. Theresa Greene, an emergency room physician in Florida, has temporarily lost shared custody of her four-year-old daughter 

• Greene risks her life every day on the frontline of the coronavirus outbreak

• A judge granted sole custody to her ex-husband temporarily until the pandemic is over because of her work saving lives  

• Greene has tested negative for coronavirus  

• Greene is now facing an impossible and 'cruel' choice between being a mother and her duty while the US healthcare system buckles under the crisis

• 'I can't come home and hug my daughter,' the desperate mother said, adding that 'the family court system now is stressing me almost more than the virus'  

• The American Medical Association's says frontline physicians on the pandemic should be able to go home to their families, as long as they take precautions 

• Learn more about how to help people impacted by COVID

By RACHEL SHARP FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 21:31 EDT, 10 April 2020 | UPDATED: 01:04 EDT, 11 April 2020

A heroic ER doctor who risks her life every day on the frontline of the coronavirus outbreak has lost custody of her daughter until the pandemic is over.
Dr. Theresa Greene, an emergency room physician in Florida, has temporarily lost shared custody of her four-year-old daughter because of her work saving lives during the coronavirus crisis.  
Her ex-husband filed for temporary sole custody of the little girl 'due to mother's significantly heightened exposure to COVID-19' and a judge granted it - even though Greene has tested negative for the deadly virus.
Greene is now facing an impossible and 'cruel' choice between being a mother and her duty as a medic while the US healthcare system buckles under the weight of the pandemic and grapples to find enough healthcare workers to keep COVID-19 patients alive.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27062750-8209721-Dr_Theresa_Greene_an_emergency_room_physician_in_Florida_has_tem-m-35_1586567159713

+10

Dr. Theresa Greene, an emergency room physician in Florida, has temporarily lost shared custody of her four-year-old daughter because of her work saving lives during the  pandemic
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27062748-8209721-A_heroic_ER_doctor_who_risks_her_life_every_day_on_the_frontline-m-36_1586567171236

The heroic ER doctor is risking her life every day on the frontline of the coronavirus outbreak and has now her daughter cruelly taken away from her by a judge until the pandemic is over
'I can't come home and hug my daughter,' the desperate mother told 6 South Florida. 
'We're there on the frontline, we're risking our lives and to take our children away from us I just think is so cruel.'
Greene said the move is discriminatory against healthcare workers who are divorced or sole carers. 

'How can you tell me because I'm divorced that I can't come home - obviously I have to shower - but that I can't come home and hug my daughter,' she said. 
'It's really discriminatory against divorced parents and particularly I feel for the children.'
Healthcare professionals across the US are facing unprecedented times, overloaded with sick COVID-19 patients.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27063164-8209721-image-a-61_1586570455583

+10

Greene said her ex-husband Eric Green (pictured) filed for temporary sole custody and a judge granted it
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27062728-8209721-Greene_said_her_ex_husband_filed_for_temporary_sole_custody_and_-m-8_1586569562629

The judge awarded temporary sole custody of the little girl to the father 'due to mother's significantly heightened exposure to COVID-19', the order said
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27064926-8209721-image-a-1_1586580730036

Hospitals have been likened to war zones with protective gear for heroic workers in short supply and body bags lining the corridors as the death toll from the killer virus soars.  
At least 5,400 nurses, doctors, and other healthcare workers in the US have been infected by the disease, according to BuzzFeed News.
More than 30 have died from the virus, after being infected trying to save others' lives.   
Parents like Greene now have other traumatic issues to contend with.  
'I feel like the family court system now is stressing me almost more than the virus, I mean this is a very stressful time for healthcare professionals,' Greene said. 
The essential worker's daughter split her time equally between her parents until her father Eric Greene filed an emergency order this week asking for sole custody during the pandemic. 
Circuit Judge Bernard Shapiro granted the request saying it was in the 'best interests' of the child because of the state of the pandemic in Florida.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27062732-8209721-image-m-41_1586567667048

+10

Greene is now facing an impossible and 'cruel' choice between being a mother and her duty as a medic doing her part as the US healthcare system buckles under the weight of the pandemic
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27062760-8209721-image-m-39_1586567322680

+10

'I can't come home and hug my daughter,' the desperate mother said, adding that 'the family court system now is stressing me almost more than the virus'
 NBC Miami Privacy Policy
 'In order to protect the best interests of the minor child, including but not limited to the minor child's safety and welfare, this Court temporarily suspends the Former Wife's timesharing until further Order of Court. The suspension is solely related to the outbreak of COVID-19,' he said in the court order.
Greene, who is lodging an appeal, said she was shocked by the decision. 
'I was just shocked that the judge would take this stance without talking to medical experts and knowing the facts and take it so lightly, take my child from me and not think of the effect on her, her mental and psychological well-being,' she said.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27063554-8209721-image-a-44_1586568262025

+10

A patient is taken from an ambulance at the Broward Health Medical Center on April 2 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. At least 5,400 nurses, doctors, and other healthcare workers in the US have been infected by the disease, according to BuzzFeed News
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27063584-8209721-image-a-43_1586568255707

+10

Medical workers cheer as first responders drive by in a procession to honor hospital staff at Mercy Hospital in Miami. More than 30 US healthcare workers have died from the virus, after being infected trying to save others' lives
According to Greene, she is not alone in this situation with other healthcare workers she knows facing equally distressing situations as they fulfill their duties on the frontline.
'I know I'm not alone, first responders, nurses, so many people in this position who, because they're divorced, their children are suffering and they're being told they can't see them, and it's just not fair,' Greene said. 
'You know I took an oath and I really believe in that, that's why I went into medicine, to help people.'   
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27064924-8209721-image-a-2_1586580739275

+10

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27064920-8209721-image-a-3_1586580741340

+10

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27064922-8209721-image-a-4_1586580743395

+10

The American Medical Association's stance is that frontline physicians working to save coronavirus patients should be able to go home to their families and to their children, as long as they take proper precautions. 
The US recorded its deadliest day from the coronavirus pandemic on Friday, as it became the first country to mark more than 2,000 deaths in 24 hours and its number of infections topped half a million.
Stark figures show that 2,028 Americans died from coronavirus in a single day on Friday, taking the death toll to 18,798. 
As the nation mourns its darkest day on record during the pandemic, the total number of Americans infected skyrocketed past half a million, as another 35,579 Americans tested positive. 
The US is on track to become the deadliest nation in the world amid the outbreak, as it rapidly edges closer to Italy's death toll of 18,849.  
Worldwide, more than 100,000 people have now been killed in the pandemic. 

[size=34]Heart surgeon returns to treat sick coronavirus patients at New York City hospital after recovering from the disease as more doctors who beat the virus go back to the frontlines  [/size]

A New York City surgeon who was diagnosed with the coronavirus was met with applause from his colleagues when he returned to work fully recovered.
Dr. Paul Saunders tested positive for COVID-19 in March after feeling symptoms of the virus.
After Saunders recovered from a mild case, ABC News reports, he returned to the frontline of the coronavirus disease  in the world's epicenter on Thursday.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27054084-8209721-Dr_Paul_Saunders_pictured_returned_to_work_at_a_Brooklyn_hospita-a-3_1586576932155

Dr. Paul Saunders (pictured) returned to work at a Brooklyn hospital after recovering from COVID-19
Footage shows Dr. Saunders walking through the Maimonides Medical Center entrance in Brooklyn to rousing applause from fellow medical staff and employees.
'This is totally unexpected and undeserved but thank you all for coming to work and for working so hard ... Happy to be back,' Saunders told staffers who welcomed him back. 
'Everyone's working so hard and the whole time I was home, I was just anxious to get back, just get back and get back to work,' he said.
The excitement around Dr. Saunders' return to Maimonides Medical Center was also because he is trained in ECMO, or extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. 
Worldwide, health care workers recovered from COVID-19 have returned to the same hospitals where they most likely contracted the disease in the first place. 
'It was quite frustrating being at home and seeing how badly the hospitals needed help,' said Dr. Aurelie Gouel, who fell ill while treating coronavirus patients in Paris, France.  
'We were trained for this,' she added. 'The world needs us.'
In the brutal months since France reported Europe's first coronavirus cases in January and then, in February, the first death on the continent, the scourge has infected so many thousands of doctors, nurses and other health workers in Europe that some have now recovered and are going from their sick beds back to the front lines. 
'It's a bit like what happened in the First World War. People were wounded and came back to the battlefield,' said Dr. Philippe Montravers, head of anesthesiology and critical care at Bichat Hospital in Paris.
The hospital treated the 80-year-old Chinese tourist who in mid-February became the first person outside Asia to die from COVID-19.
'They feel ... very guilty staying at home,' Montravers said. 'As soon as they are feeling better, they come back to help.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 11 Apr 2020, 19:50

Know what you mean, Annemarie. Motto: Never throw away the jigsaw puzzles, the pack of cards, the games and colouring stuff and books.

Lots of people here are homeschooling their children - guided by the schools of course - with a lot of online curricular - and are finding interesting to say the least! But schools here are also open for children whose parents work in the NHS or other essential services or who are vulnerable at home - and many parents pretended that they did, but were soon caught out.

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 11 Apr 2020, 22:51

PAN - It seems like you're doing the same things we're doing as far as online schooling and special sites for children of healthcare and essential service workers. Not surprisingly, many parents who are "home schooling" are finding it quite challenging.

I laugh every time I hear some celebrity say they can't figure out their ten-year-old"s math problems! And don't get me started on how to keep a couple of kids occupied. Try it with thirty-some-odd little beasties packed into one room! Who's half asleep? Who's still hungry? Who hates the world today? Tons of fun, I can tell you. At least at home you can say "Go to your room NOW!!!! Very Happy

Annemarie - Even though I sympathize with the doctor, I understand the judge's decision and tend to agree. Better safe than sorry.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 12 Apr 2020, 01:05

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8210407/Trump-voters-likely-practice-social-distancing-pandemic-sociologist-claims.html

[size=34]Trump voters 'are less likely to practice social distancing' in pandemic, claims analysis of phone data 'scoreboard' that grades states by how effectively they are locked down[/size]

• Analysis of location data by Vox claims that certain trends are apparent

• Indicates counties that voted for Trump are less likely to socially distance

• Shows belief in climate change is strongest indicator of change in behavior

• Aggregate cell phone location data has been used to monitor movement 

• Meanwhile off-roaders drew fury after 31 gathered for fun in New Mexico 

By KEITH GRIFFITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 11:15 EDT, 11 April 2020 | UPDATED: 17:21 EDT, 11 April 2020

A new analysis of nationwide cell phone location data suggests that counties which voted for President Donald Trump in higher proportions are less likely to practice social distancing measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
The analysis, by Princeton sociologist Patrick Sharkey for Vox, also found that attitudes toward climate change are 'one of the strongest and most robust predictors of social distancing behavior.'
In parts of the country, a recalcitrant minority of people continue to openly blow off stay-at-home orders, defiantly congregating for recreational events in the midst of the pandemic that has infected more than 500,000 Americans and killed at least 18,798.
In New Mexico, at least 31 off-road enthusiasts gathered last weekend by the 'Welcome to Las Cruces' sign for a photo, which was posted online with the dismissive remark 'If you got it, you got it,' according to the Las Cruces Sun News.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27079930-8210407-The_average_score_of_the_counties_is_broken_into_three_cohorts_i-a-21_1586640051951

+10

The average score of the counties is broken into three cohorts in a variety of categories
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27074076-8210407-image-m-17_1586616994369

+10

A 'scorecard' from Unacast shows state and county-level data on how much people have reduced their outdoor movement during the coronavirus pandemic
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27074072-8210407-image-a-1_1586614419144

+10

In New Mexico, at least 31 off-road enthusiasts gathered last weekend by the 'Welcome to Las Cruces' sign for this photo, which drew fury after it was posted to Facebook
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27078810-8210407-Unacast_data_shows_county_level_ratings_for_social_distancing_in-m-46_1586628885883
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27079012-8210407-image-a-47_1586628891134

Unacast data shows county-level ratings for social distancing in Florida (left) and the results of the 2016 presidential elections (right)

The Facebook post presenting the photographs read: 'Social Distancing Mtherfkers! And if you don't like (it) ur staying hm ok bye!' with emojis simulating hands raising their middle fingers. 
New Mexico has been under a statewide stay-at-home order since March 23, currently scheduled to last until the end of April.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27075166-8210407-image-a-3_1586637802251
According to Sharkey's analysis of location data, 'politics and civic engagement bear a strong relationship to social distancing behavior.' 
Sharkey's analysis relies on aggregate location data complied by Unacast, an advertising company that has recently emerged as one of the top sources of information about how much people continue to move about in the pandemic.
Unacast gives each county in the U.S. a letter score of A through F based on how much people have reduced their movement and non-essential travel during the pandemic, with 'F' representing the least change in outdoor movement. 
Sharkey used a statistical analysis of the letter grades from Unacast to compare them with other 
'Counties with larger populations, with more educated residents, and with higher percentages of white and Hispanic residents tend to receive higher grades on social distancing, while the age structure, the median income, and the unemployment rate are no longer associated with social distancing behavior,' Sharkey writes.
He continues: 'grades fall with the percentage of the county voters who cast a ballot for Trump in 2016.'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27074078-8210407-A_Unacast_chart_shows_the_changed_in_non_essential_visits_since_-a-25_1586640052538

A Unacast chart shows the changed in non-essential visits since the pandemic began, with daily new cases in the US shown in grey bars
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27075168-8210407-image-a-24_1586640052413

+10

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27078816-8210407-Unacast_data_shows_county_level_ratings_for_social_distancing_in-a-7_1586637803272

+10

Unacast data shows county-level ratings for social distancing in California
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27078814-8210407-Unacast_data_shows_county_level_ratings_for_social_distancing_in-a-9_1586637805219

+10

Unacast data shows county-level ratings for social distancing in New York
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27078812-8210407-Unacast_data_shows_county_level_ratings_for_social_distancing_in-a-22_1586640052295

+10

Unacast data shows county-level ratings for social distancing in Texas
'Lastly, even after adjusting for all of these other characteristics, counties within the same state where a greater share of residents do not agree that global warming is happening are substantially less likely to change their behavior in response to Covid-19,' Sharkey writes.
Sharkey says his analysis shows that attitudes toward climate change are 'one of the strongest and most robust predictors of social distancing behavior.' 
'In the places where residents don't think global warming is real, where they don't believe humans are responsible, where they don't think citizens have a responsibility to act, residents are also failing to change their behavior during the coronavirus crisis,' he writes.
As the crisis continues, cell phone location data is coming to the forefront as a key tool in the battle -- raising privacy concerns and exposing just how much data is being collected on Americans by private advertising and technology companies.
On Friday, Apple and Google announced a joint effort to help public health agencies worldwide use smartphone data to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
New software the companies plan to add to phones would make it easier to use Bluetooth wireless technology to track down people who may have been infected by coronavirus carriers. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27075170-8210407-Signs_displaying_directions_for_maintaining_social_distancing_du-a-5_1586637802258

+10

Signs displaying directions for maintaining social distancing due to COVID-19 concerns are posted on a New York supermarket as customers wait outside on Friday
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27075174-8210407-image-a-6_1586637802392

+10

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27075172-8210407-image-a-23_1586640052304

+10

The idea is to help national, state and local governments roll out apps for so-called 'contact tracing' that will run on iPhones and Android phones alike.
The technology works by harnessing short-range Bluetooth signals. Using the Apple-Google technology, contact-tracing apps would gather a record of other phones with which they came into close proximity.
Such data can be used to alert others who might have been infected by known carriers of the novel coronavirus, typically when the phones' owners have installed the apps and agreed to share data with public-health authorities.
Developers have already created such apps in countries including Singapore and China to try to contain the pandemic. 
In Europe, the Czech Republic says it will release an app after Easter. Britain, Germany and Italy are also developing their own tracing tools.
No such apps have yet been announced in the United States, but Governor Gavin Newsom of California said Friday that state officials have been in touch with the companies as they look ahead at how to reopen and lift stay-at-home orders. 
Read more:

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 12 Apr 2020, 12:45

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8210885/Barack-Obama-slams-Wisconsin-going-ahead-debacle-election-stay-home-order.html

[size=34]'No one should be forced to choose between their right to vote and their right to stay healthy': Barack Obama slams Wisconsin for going ahead with 'debacle' election[/size]

• Wisconsin on Tuesday held elections despite the coronavirus pandemic 

• Election included presidential primaries and a seat on the State Supreme Court 

• Democratic governor tried to delay election and extend absentee ballot voting 

• But the conservative majority on State Supreme Court overruled Tony Evers

• Images showed Wisconsinites waiting for hours to vote while wearing masks 

By ARIEL ZILBER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and REUTERS
PUBLISHED: 15:32 EDT, 11 April 2020 | UPDATED: 02:22 EDT, 12 April 2020

Former President Barack Obama blasted Republicans in Wisconsin for the 'debacle' election earlier this week in which voters stood on line for hours to cast a ballot in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
'No one should be forced to choose between their right to vote and their right to stay healthy like the debacle in Wisconsin this week,' the former president tweeted on Saturday.
'Everyone should have the right to vote safely, and we have the power to make that happen.
'This shouldn't be a partisan issue.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27080052-8210885-image-a-41_1586633141259

+8

Former President Barack Obama slammed Republicans for forcing Wisconsinites to risk their health and wait on line for hours to vote in this past Tuesday's election despite a stay-at-home order 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27079448-8210885-image-m-45_1586633160046

'No one should be forced to choose between their right to vote and their right to stay healthy like the debacle in Wisconsin this week,' the former president tweeted on Saturday
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27079446-8210885-image-m-46_1586633168110

'Everyone should have the right to vote safely, and we have the power to make that happen,' according to Obama. 'This shouldn't be a partisan issue'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27079444-8210885-image-m-47_1586633175497

'Let's not use the tragedy of a pandemic to compromise our democracy,' the former president tweeted. 'Check the facts of vote by mail.'
[size=10][size=18]Long lines and drive-thru polling stations in Wisconsin

L
[/size][/size]

'Let's not use the tragedy of a pandemic to compromise our democracy.
'Check the facts of vote by mail.'
The election that was held on Tuesday was for the presidential primary, a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, and dozens of other local elections.
The state's Democratic governor, Tony Evers, issued an executive order delaying the election and extending absentee voting, but his decision was overruled by the state's Supreme Court, which has a conservative majority.
The state Supreme Court ruled by a 4-2 majority in favor of overturning Evers' executive order.
The court's ruling was along ideological lines, with conservative justices voting in favor while liberal justices opposing.
Evers claimed he wanted to push back the elections in order to minimize people's exposure to the virus.
But Republicans claimed that the governor did not have the authority to unilaterally delay an election.
Democrats accused Republicans of seeking to push ahead with the vote because lower voter turnout is generally thought to favor conservatives who are up for election.
Wisconsin was the only state in the country to proceed with elections scheduled for April as other states have opted to delay elections to prevent the spread of the virus.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27080048-8210885-image-a-48_1586633189501

+8

Voters wait in line to cast their ballots in the Wisconsin presidential primary election at Marshall High School in Milwaukee on Tuesday
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27083044-8210885-Voters_in_Milwaukee_County_above_waited_hours_and_appeared_to_be-a-5_1586640608011

+8

Voters in Milwaukee County (above) waited hours and appeared to be standing close to each other in violation of social distancing guidelines
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27083062-8210885-image-a-2_1586638134637

+8

One brave Milwaukee resident wore a gas mask to a polling place at Riverside University High School on Tuesday
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27083052-8210885-image-a-3_1586638138754

+8

Aaron Lipski, the assistant chief for the City of Milwaukee Fire Department, stands in a tyvec suit as he monitors health and safety at a polling station inside Hamilton High School in Milwaukee on Tuesday
[size=18]Wisconsin residents queue to vote amidst coronavirus pandemic

Lo
[/size]

'Welcome to the S*** Show!' wrote the state's lieutenant governor, Mandela Barnes, hours after the U.S. Supreme Court blocked a lower court ruling to allow more time for voters to send in absentee ballots.
As a result, thousands of Wisconsin voters waited in long, congested lines outside polling stations to participate in the presidential primary election and many were seen ignoring social distancing orders.

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 26933418-8198341-image-a-22_1586304773555

+8

Wisconsin's Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, a Republican, came under fire on Tuesday for urging voters to head to the polls on Election Day dressed head to toe in protective gear
Vos, volunteering at a polling station in Burlington, assured apprehensive Wisconsinites that 'everybody is here safe' with 'very minimal exposure'.
Nearly 1.3 million Wisconsin voters applied for absentee ballots for Tuesday's elections in the midst of the pandemic, more than the total number of votes cast in the 2016 Democratic primary, according to the Wisconsin Election Commission.
More than 1 million of those ballots have already been returned, the commission said.
Others will keep trickling in. Votes from Tuesday's election will not be tallied until after April 13, the deadline for mail-in ballots to arrive at local election offices.
The fierce debate over Wisconsin is a prelude to the political clash that is likely to ensue over the question of voting by mail for this November's general election.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27081084-8210885-image-a-25_1586636156932

Democratic leaders have called for expanding mail balloting amid their fears that coronavirus will continue keeping voters at home this year.
That push is meeting strong resistance from Republicans nationwide, from the White House to elected officials in Republican-governed states such as Texas, Georgia and Ohio.
President Trump on Tuesday said he was opposed to expanding mail-in voting because of rampant fraud, though these claims are not true.
'Mail ballots — they cheat. OK? People cheat,' he said.
'There's a lot of dishonesty going along with mail-in voting.'
The president himself neglected to mention that he mailed in his ballot last month when his home state of Florida held its primaries.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27081080-8210885-image-a-26_1586636156934

+8

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27081050-8210885-image-a-24_1586636156844

+8

Texas, for example, is one of 15 states requiring voters to provide an excuse, such as disability or advanced age, when requesting an absentee ballot.
An April 2 advisory to election officials from the Secretary of State noted that Texas' election code defines 'disability' to include conditions that would jeopardize voters' health if they voted in person.
But the advisory did not specify that voters practicing social distancing could be eligible under this definition.
The Democratic Party sued Texas's Republican leadership in federal court on Tuesday to force the state to allow no-excuse absentee voting.
The state has not yet responded to the complaint.
On Wednesday, the American Civil Liberties Union sued Georgia's Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger in federal court over that state's absentee ballot rules.
The complaint alleged that requiring voters to pay their own postage when submitting mail-in absentee ballots and absentee ballot applications was tantamount to a poll tax.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 12 Apr 2020, 19:07

When this is all over... Big Fat Hot Wet Tears... When this All ends...

Last edited by What Would He Say on Sun 12 Apr 2020, 19:17; edited 1 time in total
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 12 Apr 2020, 19:10

My deepest thanks to those whose painful shoulders we stand upon ..... Italy in particular has lent us unbelievable help... listen coach anticipate, the Italian Way....

Today should have been our peak ... we owe so much to so many ....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 13 Apr 2020, 02:39

WWHS - Thank you for that beautiful, beautiful poem/video. It is a gift to the  soul. Again, thank you. I love you
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 13 Apr 2020, 16:02

[size=34]CDC director says he recommended some states lock down in February as reports indicate White House knew of coronavirus threat before they let on and Donald Trump retweets '#fireFauci'[/size]

• Centers for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield said Monday morning that he recommended more states issue lockdown orders as early as February 

• 'As February 28 – as we got into March – we recognized the different areas that mitigation was now important,' Redfield told Today 

• 'CDC sent recommendations to Washington, to California, to New York and to Florida recommending that they expand mitigation in those areas,' he continued

•  The White House issued social distancing guidelines about three weeks after the recommendations from Redfield and immunologist Anthony Fauci

• Fauci said Sunday morning that if lockdowns and social distancing guidelines were implemented by the president sooner, more lives could have been saved 

• This prompted Trump to retweet a post calling for Fauci's ouster from the White House coronavirus task force 

By KATELYN CARALLE, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 10:00 EDT, 13 April 2020 | UPDATED: 10:43 EDT, 13 April 2020

The director of the Centers for Disease Control said Monday that he did recommend in February some states expand mitigation efforts to combat the coronavirus spread, but lockdowns didn't begin until March.
Robert Redfield suggested on NBC's Today that some recommendations by the CDC and National Institute of Health were ignored earlier on in the coronavirus outbreak and not implemented until March.
'As February 28 – as we got into March – we recognized the different areas that mitigation was now important,' Redfiled told Today show host Savannah Guthrie. 'CDC sent recommendations to Washington, to California, to New York and to Florida recommending that they expand mitigation in those areas.'
Although reports indicate that Redfield and NIH's top immunologist Anthony Fauci recommended the White House implement social distancing guidelines in late February, such action was not taken until at least three weeks later in mid-March.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27135890-8214297-image-a-1_1586786118630

+6

Centers for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield said Monday morning that he recommended more states issue lockdown orders as early as February
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27135888-8214297-image-a-2_1586786246496

+6

'As February 28 – as we got into March – we recognized the different areas that mitigation was now important,' Redfield told Today. 'CDC sent recommendations to Washington, to California, to New York and to Florida recommending that they expand mitigation in those areas'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27135680-8214297-image-a-4_1586786290771

+6

The White House issued social distancing guidelines about three weeks after the recommendations from Redfield and immunologist Anthony Fauci (right)
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27135708-8214297-image-a-3_1586786262029

+6

As of Monday morning, more than 22,000 people died from coronavirus in the U.S. 
But Redfield excused the delay, claiming that the severity of the pandemic did not fully go into effect in the U.S. until that time.
'If you look back, in January and February, the cases we had in this country were all related to China travel,' he said Monday morning. 'It wasn't until February 28 when we saw our first community transmission where we said, 'wait a minute, where is this coming from?'
'So I think it's important when we get back, and when we get through this, we can look back at the timeline,' he continued.
The 68-year-old CDC director said he recommended in February that the federal government begin to 'institute broader mitigation' efforts.
Some reports indicate that the intelligence community informed the White House of the COVID-19 threat as early as November.
Redfield's comments come as Fauci, a top infectious disease expert who serves on the coronavirus task force, admitted Sunday that more lives could have been saved if a lockdown were issued sooner.
The 79-year-old immunologist told CNN Sunday morning that more could have been done that would have potentially slowed the spread and lessened the ramifications of the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S.
'Obviously you could logically say that if you had a process that was ongoing and you started mitigation earlier you could've saved lives, obviously,' Fauci told CNN's State of the Union.
'No-one is going to deny that,' he continued, but added 'there was a lot of pushback about shutting things down back then'.
This sparked Trump to repost a tweet that utilized the hashtag 'fireFauci.'
'Fauci is now saying that had Trump listened to the medical experts earlier he could've saved more lives. Fauci was telling people on February 29th that there was nothing to worry about and it posed no threat to the US public at large. Time to #FireFauci…' the tweet from Republican DeAnna Lorraine read.
Trump reposted the tweet to his page on Sunday with the comment: 'Sorry Fake News, it's all on tape. I banned China long before people spoke up. Thank you @OANN'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27105086-8214297-Fauci_right_on_CNN_s_State_of_the_Union_said_more_could_have_bee-a-20_1586788261961

+6

Fauci (right, on CNN's State of the Union) said Sunday morning that if lockdowns and social distancing guidelines were implemented by the president sooner, more lives could have been saved
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27135846-8214297-image-a-5_1586786323943

+6

This prompted Trump to retweet a post calling for Fauci's ouster from the White House coronavirus task force
The president's allies have also taken to slamming Fauci over his Sunday comments.
Trump's 2016 campaign senior communications adviser Jason Miller said Fauci should 'be more careful' during interviews, quoting the CNN headline: 'Dr. Anthony Fauci admits earlier Covid-19 mitigation efforts would have saved more American lives.'
'Dr. Fauci needs to be more careful choosing his words on #Coronavirus, & if he's going to be critical, make clear what he personally could've done better,' Miller tweeted.
Although lockdowns and social distancing guidelines were not implemented by the White House until mid-March, several governors and local governments began taking matters into their own hands to mitigate the spread.
Washington Governor Jay Inslee was the first to do so on March 11, after becoming the first state with deaths from coronavirus.
He started by banning all social gatherings over 250 people.
Two days later, Trump declared a national emergency.
On March 16, the San Francisco Bay area, which includes six counties, issued the first real lockdown where all residents were ordered to shelter-in-place and only venture outside of their homes for essential reasons.
These were limited to reasons like shopping for food or going to the doctor.
While criticism emerged over the timing of national and state-wide lockdowns, Trump has often boasted his decision to ban travel from China early on in the outbreak.
The White House announced a 15 days to slow the spread plan in mid-March where the Trump administration implemented social distancing guidelines.
This included staying home except for necessary reasons – like grocery shopping or going to the doctor – maintaining a 6-foot distance from people in public and limiting gatherings to 10 people or less.
At the end of March, when the 15 days were up, Trump ended up expanding the guidelines for another 30 days.
The new end date for the guidelines is April 30, and the president says he plans to have the country back open and operating by May 1 – a self-imposed deadline many experts claim is optimistic and 'too soon' to implement.

On Sunday Trump also slammed The New York Times for a piece published Saturday that claims he repeatedly played down the seriousness of the virus and had been warned about it multiple times by top White House officials.
'The @nytimes story is a Fake, just like the 'paper' itself. I was criticized for moving too fast when I issued the China Ban, long before most others wanted to do so,' Trump tweeted.
The president added: ''@SecAzar told me nothing until later, and Peter Navarro memo was same as Ban (see his statements). Fake News!' the president added. 
Trump claimed that Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar only warned him about the threat of coronavirus after he had imposed the China ban at the end of January.
However, it has been reported that Azar briefed him on January 18 while the President was at his private Mar-a-Lago club in Florida - but Trump kept interrupting because he was more interested in vaping measures.
Trump imposed the China ban after senior White House economic aide Peter Navarro issued a memo in January accurately outlining how bad the pandemic would be.
The president failed to mention a second Navarro memo issued in February that painted an even worse picture. Trump has been accused of not taking that seriously. 
There are several reports that intelligence officials told the White House that there was a virus threat coming from China as early as November, indicating that the president knew about coronavirus sooner than he let on.
'You know, Jake, as I have said many times, we look at it from a pure health standpoint,' Fauci told CNN's Jake Tapper Sunday morning. 'We make a recommendation. Often, the recommendation is taken. Sometimes, it's not.'
'But it is what it is,' he continued. 'We are where we are right now.'
So far, more than 22,000 people died in the U.S. after contracting coronavirus and there are more than 561,000 cases as of Monday morning.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 13 Apr 2020, 17:11

Thank goodness the eminent scientists are starting to speak up and refuse to be silenced.....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Mon 13 Apr 2020, 17:13

Speaking the truth is always the best way to go.  Deception for the good of the people never ends well.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 13 Apr 2020, 20:35

Right. So now drumpf wants to fire Fauci for telling the truth - that we could have saved lives if we had responded to warnings sooner. Sometimes I wonder if God is even paying attention anymore.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Mon 13 Apr 2020, 20:48

God?

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 13 Apr 2020, 22:13

https://people.com/human-interest/meet-scientist-leading-charge-coronavirus-vaccine-trials/

[size=48]Meet the 'Outstanding' 34-Year-Old Scientist Leading the Charge on Coronavirus Vaccine Trials
Kizzmekia Corbett works seven-day weeks gets just three to four hours of sleep each night
By Rachel DeSantis 
April 13, 2020 02:42 PM

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F13%2Fdr-kizzmekia-corbett[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fhuman-interest%2Fmeet-scientist-leading-charge-coronavirus-vaccine-trials%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20200413%26utm_term%3Dundefined&media=https%3A%2F%2Fimagesvc.meredithcorp.io%2Fv3%2Fmm%2Fimage%3Furl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2020%2F04%2F13%2Fdr-kizzmekia-corbett.jpg&description=Meet the %27Outstanding%27 34-Year-Old Scientist Leading the Charge on Coronavirus Vaccine Trials][/url]

DR. KIZZMEKIA CORBETT/WIKIMEDIA
As coronavirus continues to spread throughout the United States, a group of scientists led by Kizzmekia Corbett is working around the clock toward developing a life-saving vaccine.
Corbett, 34, is a research fellow at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, where she and her team have already begun first-stage clinical trials of a vaccine to fight against COVID-19, according to The New York Times.
The trials began in Seattle in March, and according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, it happened in “record speed.” It took about two months, a much faster turnaround than the 20 months it took get a SARS vaccine to trial in 2003, NBC News reported.
If successful, the vaccine could reportedly be ready for patients by early to mid-2021.
“There was, and is, already a fair amount of pressure. A lot of people are banking on us or feel that we have a product that could, at least, be part of the answer this world needs,” Corbett told NBC News. “And, well, whew, just saying that out loud is not easy.”

[/size]

ALI FEDOTOWSKY AND HER FAMILY ARE 'ALL HEALTHY NOW' AFTER SHE TESTED NEGATIVE FOR COVID-19

The superstar scientist got her start with a full scholarship to the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, where she majored in biology and sociology, according to NBC News.
She went on to earn a doctorate from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill in 2014, and later joined the NIH’s Vaccine Research Center as a postdoctoral fellow that same year.
RELATED: Experimental Antiviral Drug Shows ‘Hopeful’ Promise in Treating Coronavirus, New Study Finds
“[She’s] a really quite outstanding, hard-working scientist,” UNC professor Ralph Baric, who is part of Corbett’s vaccine development team, told NBC News. “Fate has put her in a position to make a huge difference in human health, and it has made a good choice.”

Corbett, who was born in a small town in North Carolina, has been working seven-day weeks, and getting just three to four hours of sleep each night, according to the outlet.
“At some point, you have to decide how much to care,” she said. “You understand that your work will have to be mighty so that it can do your speaking.”
In an interview with Black Enterprise, she said of herself, “I am Christian. I’m black. I am Southern, I’m an empath. I’m feisty, sassy, and fashionable.”
RELATED: Woman Says Pain Is ‘Unimaginable’ as Husband and Son Die of Coronavirus 3 Days Apart
“I would say that my role as a scientist is really about my passion and purpose for the world and for giving back to the world,” she told the outlet.
Meanwhile, her mom Rhonda Brooks told NBC News that Corbett was curious even from a young age, “always like a little detective.”
“She’s brilliant and doing this complicated work and yet, somehow, is also this person who manages to remember everybody’s birthday. She’s really great at bringing together groups of people with different skills and understanding the value and contributions of each of them in ways that really maximizes scientific impact,” Andrew Ward, a Scripps Research professor who is part of Corbett’s team, told the outlet.
Corbett’s team’s COVID-19 clinical trials are the first of their kind. According to NBC, the team will have to put the vaccine through three different trials to prove its safety and effectiveness before it can hit doctor’s offices.
As information about the coronavirus pandemic rapidly changes, PEOPLE is committed to providing the most recent data in our coverage. Some of the information in this story may have changed after publication. For the latest on COVID-19, readers are encouraged to use online resources from CDC, WHO, and local public health departments. To help provide doctors and nurses on the front lines with life-saving medical resources, donate to Direct Relief here.

• By Rachel DeSantis

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Tue 14 Apr 2020, 01:29

Let's hope she is not a part of a team that believe they have the god given right to steal, kill, and destroy.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 14 Apr 2020, 11:21

My collegue's daughter who had stranded in New Zealand was finally able to return to Germany on a rescue flight of our State Department. Now she's in quarantine at her father's home, and her mom is happy.

On Easter Sunday, my sisters and their families cameover, and we all met in our garden - practising social distancing by sitting on different tables - fortunately, our garden is quite large, and we've got enough garden furniture.
My youngest sister's husband talked about his uncle who was the first person to die from Corona in our county. The deceased' son had helped his father after he had collapsed at home (they live in the same house), and since his wife is heavily pregnant, they were tested immediately after the father had been diagnosed with the virus, and their test was negative. When they both showed typical symptoms of the virus, they were tested again one week later, and then their tests were positive. Which now led to the problem that the very pregnant lady's gynecologist refused to medicate her anymore since he was worrried for his staff's and patients' safety. So she telephoned every single gynecologist within 60 miles until she finally found one who accepted her as his patient. Which doesn't really sound like relaxing last weeks before giving birth, but at least she and her husband aren't as sick that they needed to be treated in a hospital.

Many people here think that everybody in Germany should be tested to find out the real numbers of infected people. We've got 82,000,000 people, and if the test doesn't show the correct result if you've been infected shortly, we needed to test everybody - let's say ' three times within one week, so we needed about 250 million tests - which ee don't have, and also the laboratory capacities for these tests which we also don't have.

At the moment, our government is discussing when schools will be re-opening. So far, most of the people seem to accept the shutdown, but there are still endless discussions because people have sued our governments to reopen churches and bars and because they want to be able to go on vacations, seeing the restrictions as inappropriate and excessive. For them, it doesn't matter that most other countries have much stricter restrictions as Germany and that we've got one of the lowest death rates worldwide (3,000 so far) which would lead me to the conclusion that our government didn't fail completely. But what do I know...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Apr 2020, 12:54

I think there are many different systems within each country - for instance we would not consider having anybody in our garden - which is quite large because the visitors would have to go through the house to get to it and the government have made it a priority to protect the health services from being more overrun than necessary. Most communication is via a phone, computers (Zoom etc) so I wouldn't encourage my children to come and see us. I do know of some whose parents are elderly and so leave bags of food at the door and wave through the window. 

I think most of us are quite blessed actually in the restrictive circumstances - most of us have many forms of communication in our homes, and entertainment galore - and the schools are setting home schooling agendas and we can all go for a walk once a day. Many people are
decorating! 

None of this is easy on such a tiny island of 67 million people. Not sure any government or doctor is sleeping at night!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 14 Apr 2020, 14:01

There are so many selfish people in the world. Here we have people still congregating like nothing is happening.
But let them or someone they love get sick they want all the help. You can go on vacation when this is over and these people really aren't thinking what country isn't under lock down. Many countries hotels are closed to visitors so are beaches.
As far as I can tell normalcy won't be back for a long time , as all people haven't been tested and there is no way to test everyone. I will continue to wear my mask when out and social distance as much as I can even when given the all clear .

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 14 Apr 2020, 15:04

It's depressing. South Korea, which we thought was close to defeating the virus has, had a resurgence. So has China. Yesterday I heard a doctor say that this won't be over until they find a vaccine and everyone is inoculated. I have a hard time believing that will ever happen - at least not here. We have 330million people in this country. As for testing everybody 2 or 3 times....never going to happen, IMHO. - once, maybe.

PAN - I think you're right about us being relatively lucky. Even if we can't get together in person we can "meet" electronically. I think we're all hearing from a lot of people we haven't heard from in a while. I know I am. And everyone is suggesting things to do and things to watch online. As long as we're well and have everything we need, it could be worse.

Carolhathaway - I hope your relatives recover quickly and that she has an easy delivery and a healthy baby. It must be terrifying for her to be giving birth in the middle of all this.

Be careful and safe everyone. flower
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Tue 14 Apr 2020, 15:39

LizzyNY wrote:It's depressing. South Korea, which we thought was close to defeating the virus has, had a resurgence. So has China. Yesterday I heard a doctor say that this won't be over until they find a vaccine and everyone is inoculated. I have a hard time believing that will ever happen - at least not here. We have 330million people in this country. As for testing everybody 2 or 3 times....never going to happen, IMHO. - once, maybe.

I heard a Bible Teacher teach from the Bible-Revelations, Pharmaceuticals will be used as a weapon.  What happens if the testing and/or vaccine is tainted.

What happens if the corona virus test are tainted to murder the homeless, prisoners, long term care patients draining health care resources.

What if vaccines are used to get rid of people they believe to be wicked, i.e., liberals, doctors who perform abortions, gay/lesbians, ethnic groups they perceive to be wicked, atheist...

Who would do such a thing you may ask?  People who believe they are the righteous sent by god to avenge what they perceive to be wicked.

I saw an emergency room staff, doctor, nurse, respiratory therapist, and pulmonary doctor deliberately and intentionally give my brother a respiratory illness.  They refused to drain the fluid they put in his chest through an I.V. 

How do I know, I had him discharge against medical advice and took him to U.C.L.A. where they began to immediately treat him for a complex pneumonia and in the E.R. began to drain the fluid on his chest.  Once they made three holes where tubes were inserted to drain the fluid, they realized his digestive track was impacted and  it took them 48 hours of constant treatment to get his digestive track to move.

I learned from medical records the first hospital gave him 4 times the recommended amount of a drug that freeze the movement in your digestive track.  So the water they put in his chest had no where to go.  I thank God always for the U.C.L.A. hospital staff that treated him and he is living today.

Governor Brown eventually stated there was wrong doing, however no action was taken because there are regulations that allow hospital to operate in this manner with no recourse.

True story.

By the way, the E.R. doctor was black, the nurse was black, the respiratory therapist was white, and the pulmonary doctor was middle eastern.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Apr 2020, 15:56

Well, when there is no vaccine, China does not admit the extent of the deaths, and doesn't stop wild life markets but continues to cook live dogs and cats, and people like Apple and Amazon and the fashion industry continue using Chinese inhabitants for cheap, sweatshop labour and making huge amounts of money, and certain Presidents push inappropriate drugs because they illegally have shares in them, it's bound to be open season for conspiracy theories.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 14 Apr 2020, 16:35

Heartlove - I'm sorry your experience with the health care system was so devastating for you, but I truly doubt that the treatment your brother received was the result of a conspiracy by the "righteous".

More likely it was the result of someone making a mistake and others trying to cover it up and just making things worse. There are many people who have dealt with this kind of thing, myself included. It isn't the result of evil forces. It's the result of human failings and unwillingness to take responsibility for their actions.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Tue 14 Apr 2020, 16:51

LizzyNY wrote:Heartlove - I'm sorry your experience with the health care system was so devastating for you, but I truly doubt that the treatment your brother received was the result of a conspiracy by the "righteous".

More likely it was the result of someone making a mistake and others trying to cover it up and just making things worse. There are many people who have dealt with this kind of thing, myself included. It isn't the result of evil forces. It's the result of human failings and unwillingness to take responsibility for their actions.
My brother's treatment was deliberate and intentional and a result of a health care system that allows it.  To be clear the first hospital refused to drain the fluid.

The 911 "hi"jackers were evildoers who believe they were the righteous sent by god to avenge what they perceive to be unrighteous.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 14 Apr 2020, 18:01

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8217495/Andrew-Cuomo-calls-Donald-Trump-schizophrenic-claiming-total-authority-open-U-S.html

[size=34]I'm the captain! Donald Trump calls governors making their own decisions about opening up the country 'mutineers' and threatens to withhold coronavirus aid - as Andrew Cuomo unloads on 'schizophrenic' president accusing him of risking 'a constitutional crisis'[/size]

• Trump called any governor who resisted his 'total authority' a mutineer 

• President threatened to withhold coronavirus aid 

• 'A good old fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the Captain' 

• Trump tweet came after Andrew Cuomo called him 'schizophrenic' for claiming he has 'total authority' over the states to reopen the United States 

• 'It makes no sense. It is schizophrenic,' Cuomo told CNN 

• But he later said he wouldn't fight with Trump

• 'The president will have no fight with me. I will not engage,' Cuomo said 

• New York governor said he would refuse an order from Trump to reopen his state and said he would take the matter to the courts to decide

• 'We would have a constitutional challenge between the state and the federal government and that would go into the courts,' Cuomo said 

• He warned Trump could create a 'constitutional crisis'

• 'The only way this situation gets worse is if the president creates a constitutional crisis,' Cuomo said on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe' 

• In a heated press conference inside the White House on Monday evening, Trump asserted that his office holds 'absolute power' over the states 

• 'The president of the United States calls the shots,' Trump said   

By EMILY GOODIN, SENIOR U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER and GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR and LUKE KENTON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 08:58 EDT, 14 April 2020 | UPDATED: 12:24 EDT, 14 April 2020

Donald Trump on Tuesday called any governor who resisted his 'total authority' as president a mutineer and threatened to withhold coronavirus aid from them if they didn't heed his call to reopen the country.
'Tell the Democrat Governors that “Mutiny On The Bounty” was one of my all time favorite movies. A good old fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the Captain. Too easy!,' he tweeted.
The president was defending his claim that he has authority to reopen states to business in the wake of the economic devastation caused by the coronavirus, which goes against the 10th amendment of the constitution.
Several governors - led by New York's Andrew Cuomo - blasted Trump. 
Cuomo called the president 'schizophrenic' and threatened to take him to court over the matter as a constitutional crisis began to brew. 
But the governor also said he didn't want to fight with the president despite Trump 'spoiling' for one. 
'The president is clearly spoiling for a fight on this issue,' Cuomo said at his daily press briefing in New York, referring to President Trump's mutiny tweet.
'Sometimes it takes more strength frankly to walk away from a fight than engage. The president will have no fight with me. I will not engage,' he said 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184918-8217495-image-a-21_1586881417536

+20

Donald Trump called any governor who resisted his 'total authority' as president a mutineer
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184756-8217495-image-a-22_1586881428783

+20

But New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said he wouldn't fight with the president
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27182182-8217495-image-a-20_1586877712169

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27179564-8217495-image-a-19_1586877707735

+20

Trump took to Twitter after Cuomo went on the morning shows to slam the president's interpretation of the balance of power between the state and federal government.  
'Cuomo’s been calling daily, even hourly, begging for everything, most of which should have been the state’s responsibility, such as new hospitals, beds, ventilators, etc. I got it all done for him, and everyone else, and now he seems to want Independence! That won’t happen!,' the president wrote. 

Mutiny on the Bounty 

The film ‘Munity on the Bounty’ tells a fictionalized version of the real-life mutiny led by Fletcher Christian against William Bligh, captain of the HMAV Bounty, in 1789. The crew mutinies against the cruel Bligh, setting him and those loyal to him off the shift. Bligh makes his way back to Britain where a military court exonerates Bligh of misdeeds and recommends an expedition to arrest the mutineers and put them on trial, but it also comes to the conclusion that the appointment of Bligh as captain of The Bounty was wrong. 

The standoff began during a heated press conference inside the White House on Monday evening, when Trump claimed that his office holds 'absolute power' over the shutdowns prompted by the novel coronavirus outbreak - hours after Cuomo and eight other Democratic governors unveiled a pact to work together to co-ordinate the reopenings of their respective states.
'When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total,' Trump told reporters in response to the announcement, declining to specify where his authority to overrule states resides when pressed by DailyMail.com. Instead, he reiterated: 'The federal government has absolute power.
But Cuomo pointed out Trump left it up to the states to buy their own medical supplies and to issue stay-at-home orders during the coronavirus crisis, arguing the president can't accede that responsibility to the states and then contend he is an absolute authority.
'This is a 180. I have total authority. I'm going to tell the states what to do. So it makes no sense. It is schizophrenic,' Cuomo said Tuesday morning on CNN's 'New Day.' 
The New York governor made it clear he would not obey any such order from Trump to reopen his state, adding he would take the matter to the courts to let them rule on it.
'If he ordered me to reopen in a way that would endanger the public health of the people of my state, I wouldn't do it. And we would have a constitutional challenge between the state and the federal government and that would go into the courts, and that would be the worst possible thing he could do at this moment would be to act dictatorial and to act in a partisan divisive way,' Cuomo said.
The governor warned Trump could create a 'constitutional crisis.'
'The only way this situation gets worse is if the president creates a constitutional crisis. If he says to me, I declare it open, and that is a public health risk or it's reckless with the welfare of the people of my state, I will oppose it. And then we will have a constitutional crisis like you haven't seen in decades,' Cuomo said on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe.'
'I just hope he gets control of what he was saying last night and he doesn't go down that road,' he added. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27175068-8217495-image-a-10_1586868444136

+20

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo called President Donald Trump 'schizophrenic' for claiming he has 'total authority' over the states to reopen the United States
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27175684-8217495-image-a-11_1586868448489

+20

Andrew Cuomo said he will take President Donald Trump to court if he orders him to reopen New York 

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 6JY1J1Ew_normal

New Day

✔@NewDay

[ltr].@NYGovCuomo: “If [Trump] ordered me to reopen in a way that would endanger the public health of the people of my state, I wouldn’t do it.”https://cnn.it/3ba912R [/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EVkDgThWAAEJDE9?format=jpg&name=small

8:13 AM - Apr 14, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[ltr]

671 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

Trump has clashed with many of the nation's governors, who have pleaded with the federal government for masks, ventilators, personal protective equipment, and other supplies to battle the coronavirus.
He also has pushed responsibility on them.
'I want the governors to be running things,' he said earlier this month.
But Trump, who was born in New York and made his name there, has spoken warmly of his relationship with Cuomo, whom he has called a friend. The president's new claim of power, however, has changed the tone between them.
Cuomo was clear Tuesday morning on where he stood. 
'Keep the politics out of it,' he advised Trump during his CNN appearance.
Cuomo acknowledged there is an election coming up in November but said the current health pandemic - over 588,000 infected by the coronavirus in the United States with more than 23,000 deaths - supersedes that. 
'I know he's running for re-election. I know this is a political year. I know it is a hyperpartisan environment. I know it is red versus blue. Not anymore. Not when it comes to this. This is red, white and blue. I have 10,000 deaths in my state. This virus didn't kill Democrats or Republicans. It killed Americans. And it killed New Yorkers. And I'm not going to go down a political road,' Cuomo said.   
Cuomo refuted the president's claim to power, pointing out the constitution lays out the balance of power between the state and federal governments.
'It says the federal government does not have absolute power,' Cuomo said on CNN Tuesday morning. 'It says the exact opposite that the president said. It says that would be a king. We would have had King George Washington and we didn't have King George Washington. We don't have King Trump. We have President Trump. And, remember, the colonies created the federal government. The states created the federal government, not the other way around. We have a tenth amendment that is explicit, certain responsibilities are state responsibilities.'
Cuomo said the situation would be funny if the country weren't in the middle of a health crisis.
'To hear a Republican stand up there, by the way, and argue big government and total authority of the federal government is so amusing,' he said on MSNBC.
'If it wasn't so serious, it could be funny, it could be a comedy skit. It's frightening. It's frightening. This is the last place we should be, this crazy politics, this absurd positioning when we're talking about life and death. And we really have the toughest governmental problem we've ever faced right in front of us, and we have to deal with this absurdity,' he added.
The president, when pressed by reporters at the White House on Monday, could not say how he had the 'total authority' he claimed to hold or who told him he had such power.

10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. 

'I'll put it very simply. The president of the United States has the authority to do what the president has the authority to do, which is very powerful. The president of the United States calls the shots,' Trump said.  
He then took aim at the governors: 'They can't do anything without the approval of the president of the United States.'
Asked what provisions of the Constitution gave him the power to override the states Trump replied: 'Numerous provisions.'
But he did not name any. 'When somebody's the president of the United States, the authority is total,' Trump said.
He also suggested any governor who defied his order would pay a political price.
'If some states refuse to open, I would like to see that person run for election,' he said.
But Cuomo was quick to take to the airwaves to refute Trump and slammed the president for what he perceived to be an 'abrogation of the Constitution'.
'Mr Trump offered no legal or constitutional basis to back up his claim to exclusive authority to reopen society,' Cuomo told MSNBC on Monday evening.
In his own heated press briefing, the president launched a furious attack on the media and screened a White House-produced video to reporters claiming he took early action against the virus. 
The show reel claimed that the 'media minimized the risk from the start', and showed reporters seemingly agreeing with Trump and governors praising the White House response. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27181958-8217495-image-a-16_1586877038670

+20

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27156600-8215913-New_York_Governor_Andrew_Cuomo_has_rebuked_President_Trump_s_cla-a-3_1586848668308

+20

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has rebuked President Trump's claims that he has blanket authority to order a reopening of the country and cease stay-at-home orders, saying Monday night that last time he checked the US had 'a constitution...not a king'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27170566-8215913-image-a-8_1586859234586

+20

President Trump during the Coronavirus Task Force press briefing yesterday. Governor Andrew Cuomo said Trump did not have 'total authority' to relieve the virus shutdowns 
In his response to Trump's claims of absolute power to ease the lockdowns, Cuomo added: 'Why he [Trump] would even go there, I have no idea.
'The constitution says we don't have a king. To say I have total authority over the country because I'm the president, it's absolute, that is a king. We didn't have a king, we didn't have king George Washington, we had President George Washington.'
Cuomo then pointed out that it was in fact state governors who imposed a variety of stay-home orders under their state constitutions in response to the outbreak of Covid-19, not the federal government.
Questioning the logic behind Trump's sudden assertion that he'll have the final say on any reopenings, Cuomo continued: 'Why [Trump] would want to say that after he initially did the 'closing down of the government' - he never did the close down. He wants to say the travel ban with China was a close down, it wasn't — it was a travel ban with China. 
'The close down was left to the governors to do individually state by state. Now the reopen should be total authority? That makes no sense.' 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27170558-8215913-image-a-9_1586859242568

+20

Trump speaking about the coronavirus in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House on Monday

Donald Trump launches furious attack on the media for story criticizing him with highlights reel of governors praising him

President Trump showed reporters a White House-produced video during Monday's briefing in an attempt to shame the New York Times for critical coverage of his coronavirus response. 
The video, which the president said was produced by Dan Scavino, the White House social media director, showed - in the White House's words - that the 'media minimized the risk from the start,' but Trump took early action.
One  
The White House team found audio of New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman saying that Trump's China travel ban was 'probably effective' because it 'did take a pretty aggressive measure against the spread of the virus'. 
She tweeted later that he had cut off her contribution to the New York Times' podcast The Daily, in which she finished by calling it his 'mission accomplished moment,' a reference to George W. Bush's infamous premature declaration of victory in Iraq.
Much of the video was taken straight from an episode of Sean Hannity's Fox News show on March 26 which called Trump's critics a 'mob.' 
The video also featured a number of governors, including Democrats Gavin Newsom and Andrew Cuomo, praising the Trump administration's leadership on the pandemic.
'So the story in the New York Times is a total fake, it's a fake newspaper and they write fake stories. And someday, hopefully in five years when I'm not here, those papers are all going out of business because nobody's going to read them', Trump told the reporters in the room. 
The story, written by Haberman and five of her colleagues, detailed the 'extent of his halting response' to the threat.
The president said he wanted to share the presentation amid the pandemic 'because we're getting fake news and I'd like to have it corrected'. 
'They're saying what a great job we're doing', he said of the governors' praises.
'And the reason they did was to keep you honest,' Trump added. 
ABC News' Jonathan Karl told Trump he had never seen what looked to be a 'campaign' style video played in the White House briefing room. 
The Hatch Act prohibits the president from actively campaigning at the White House. 

Cuomo issued the president a parting shot, warning him that if he takes any measures that could potentially endanger the lives of New Yorkers - such as enforcing premature reopenings - then Cuomo will seek legal action. 
'If he tried an edict from the White House that put the people of the state of New York in jeopardy or violated what I thought was in their best interest, from a public health point of view, we would just be off to a lawsuit,' he said.
'And that's the only way this really horrendous situation could get worse, is if you now see a war between the federal government and the states.' 
Later, the governor phoned into CNN to double-down on his admonishment of Trump, and what he conceived to be a blatant example of the president disregarding the 10th amendment.
'I don't agree with the president's analysis...we don't have a king - we have an elected president,' the New York governor reaffirmed. 
'That's what our founding fathers said when they wrote the constitution. And the Constitution says the powers not specifically listed for the federal government are reserved for the states.'
Earlier Monday, six governors from states on east coast and three on the west coast announced their own pacts to come up with a framework on how and when to reopen.
All nine governors are Democrats and include Gavin Newsom of California and Andrew Cuomo of New York - both of whom have seen their ratings soar during their handling of the crisis.
Pointedly, the governors on both coasts said that 'public health' was their leading priority. 
But they put themselves on a collision course with Trump, who hyped his proclamation that he would decide on Twitter, after saying for days it would soon become time to 'reopen' the U.S. economy. 
The president's emphatic statement came as it was revealed his task force on the vital matter will include cabinet members, his daughter and his son-in-law.
'A decision by me, in conjunction with the Governors and input from others, will be made shortly!' 
The task force was expected to include Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared, who has taken a key coronavirus response role, fielding calls from hot-spots seeking protective gear and trying to line up deliveries.
But Trump said the two will not be a part of the group. 
Both Ivanka Trump and Kushner have appeared with the president at separate White House coronavirus events – Kushner at a White House briefing and Ivanka Trump at a small business meeting in the Roosevelt Room. 
The team will be headed by Trump's new chief of staff Mark Meadows, who previously headed the conservative House Freedom Caucus, Fox News reported.
Also serving with be Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao – who is married to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
Other cabinet members to serve include Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, White House advisers Larry Kudlow, Peter Navarro – who penned memos warning of the impact of the coronavirus, and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, along with other officials. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27141596-8215913-image-a-1_1586848668263

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27141602-8215913-image-a-2_1586848668304

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27141526-8215913-_A_decision_by_me_in_conjunction_with_the_Governors_and_input_fr-a-4_1586848668696

+20

'A decision by me, in conjunction with the Governors and input from others, will be made shortly!' President Trump tweeted about the decision to reopen the country
[size=18]Trump says he 'hopes to god' he makes the right decision

L
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27163728-8215913-image-a-10_1586846688842

+20

Trump attacked the media and added confusion to how the decision to reopen would ultimately be made with a pair of tweets Monday. 
'For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government,' Trump wrote.
'Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect...It is the decision of the President, and for many good reasons. With that being said, the Administration and I are working closely with the Governors, and this will continue. A decision by me, in conjunction with the Governors and input from others, will be made shortly!' he wrote.

It is state governors who issued the stay-at-home orders that took effect across the country. 
Trump and Vice President Mike Pence issued 'guidelines' but the administration and health officials have provided considerable discussion and feedback to state officials.
Trump has previously noted on shut-down orders that it is governors who have imposed them, and he deferred to a group of GOP governors, many in rural states, who held back from issuing stay-home orders during as the coronavirus spread.
But on Monday his sudden volte-face to taking control himself threatened to become a source of confusion and possible constitutional clash. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27142050-8215913-Jared_Kusner-a-5_1586848668704

+20

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27142016-8215913-Ivanka_Trump-a-3_1586865755622

+20

Trump's daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared Kushner have advised him during the coronavirus pandemic
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27163758-8215913-image-a-11_1586846696021

+20

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27164260-0-image-a-12_1586846725526

+20

[size=18]Cuomo discuses timeline for opening schools and businesses

L
[/size]

In Albany, New York, Cuomo convened a virtual press conference with five governors of what he called the 'Covid corridor' - the states of Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island which are joined by the I-95 freeway and Amtrak's Acela corridor and form New York City's vast economic hinterland.
Massachusetts and Maryland, which both also sit along the I-95 but are not yet part of the council, have Republican governors - although both men have contradicted Trump's position and said reopening is a matter for them.
The six Democratic governors revealed they were creating the first multi-state database in order to share information about the virus and help come up with reopening plan that would happen 'within weeks'.  
A health official, economic official and the governor's chief of staff from each state will work on the plan.
The governors gushed over one another and Cuomo's leadership both of New York and of the country throughout the pandemic. 
Cuomo, when asked about the president's remarks, challenged him to produce a plan and said wryly that it was 'interesting' that the federal government shrugged the responsibility of shutting down the economy at the start of the crisis but wanted to be the authority to reopen it. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27170568-8215913-image-a-10_1586859691798

+20

Trump pointing towards a multimedia presentation created by the White House on Monday to defend the president's response to the coronavirus outbreak as he stands beside Vice President Mike Pence
[size=18]Trump shows highlight reel of people praising coronavirus response

L
[/size]

The New York governor said: 'He [Trump] left it to the states to close down and that was a state by state decision, without any guidance really. He took the position that it was a state's decision and that the states were responsible for purchasing supplies. 
'That was the model of management for this disaster emergency. If they want to change the model, they can change the model. He's the President of the United States. He's the federal government. 
'Let him change the model. But change the model and explain it,' he said. 

THE CORONAVIRUS COUNCILS 

Cuomo's 'covid corridor' 
NEW YORK 
NEW JERSEY 
CONNECTICUT 
PENNSYLVANIA 
RHODE ISLAND 
DELAWARE 
Newson's west coast pact
CALIFORNIA
OREGON
WASHINGTON 

He went on to challenge Trump by listing all of the things he would have to consider and come up with answers for if he wanted to implement a reopening plan for all 50 states. 
'Are you going to say when each state will open and should open? Are you going to set a formula that says when this jurisdiction has this infection rate it can reopen? This is what can be on public transit, this is what can be on the roads. 
'Anyone that is on the roads has to follow these precautions..
'Testing. States don't have the capacity to test. It is not as simple as saying, 'states should.' They can't without the federal government. 
'You want to change the management model? You can do it as president. But what's the model? Let's learn from the past. This was not smooth sailing, let's be honest,' he said.  
Later, when asked about whether he found Trump's remarks frustrating, Cuomo said: 'It's not about an emotion. 
'I just want clarity. It is an interesting construct that it wasn't the fed responsibility to close the economy but it is to open the economy,' he said. 
Gina Raimondo, the governor of Rhode Island, said: 'Throughout the crisis, the governors are the ones who have been showing great leadership and taking action. 
'I think it's only appropriate that we take leadership now.' 
Governor John Carney of Delaware said thanked Cuomo for his leadership 'on a day to day basis under very difficult circumstances across the country'.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27147064-8215913-Cuomo_was_joined_on_a_televised_conference_call_by_the_governors-a-7_1586848668974

+20

Cuomo was joined on a televised conference call by the governors of New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Rhode Island where they revealed they were creating the first multi-state database in order to share information about the virus and help come up with reopening plan that would happen 'within weeks'.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27149108-8215913-Dialing_in_for_the_launch_The_governors_of_all_six_states_took_p-a-8_1586848669099
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27149104-8215913-Dialing_in_for_the_launch_The_governors_of_all_six_states_took_p-a-2_1586865755603

Dialing in for the launch: The governors of all six states took part in the briefing, with Phil Murphy of New Jersey and Tom Wolf of Pennsylvania representing the largest economies in the group
While deaths continue to rise in New York, the new death toll across the state is 10,056 - it is rising at a slower rate. On Sunday, there were 671 new deaths as opposed to more than 700, which was the figure over the last few days. 
The number of new cases across the state rose by another 6,129 to 195,031. 
There were 18,825 new hospitalizations on April 12 which was an increase of more than 100 from the previous day but when taken as a three-day average, shows the curve flattening.  
'I believe the worst is over if we continue to be smart and we can start on the path to normalcy and we can have a plan when you start to see some businesses reopening understanding the balance.
'We have to understand on the reopening, as much as we have this emotion that we want it to happen and that we can't take this anymore, it is a delicate balance,' Cuomo said.    
On the West Coast, governors Newsom, Jay Inslee of Washington and Kate Brown of Oregon unveiled their own scheme just after the north-east version.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27171762-8215913-A_homeless_man_carrying_cardboard_and_bags_as_he_crosses_the_alm-a-1_1586865755543

+20

A homeless man carrying cardboard and bags as he crosses the almost deserted Times Square yesterday
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27171766-8215913-image-a-13_1586861271359

+20

An empty street in a mostly desolate Times Square during the virus lockdown yesterday
'California, Oregon and Washington have agreed to work together on a shared approach for reopening our economies – one that identifies clear indicators for communities to restart public life and business,' the governors said in a joint statements.
The nine states combined account for more than 98 million people, close to 30 per cent of the population of the U.S., and more than 30 per cent of GDP. 
Trump also launched an attack on the media during the Coronavirus Task Force briefing on Monday.
He showed reporters a White House-produced video claiming the 'media minimized the risk from the start', whereas Trump took early action. 
The White House team found audio of New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman saying that Trump's travel ban o foreign nationals arriving from China was 'probably effective' because it 'did take a pretty aggressive measure against the spread of the virus'. 
The video also featured a number of governors, including Democrats Gavin Newsom and Andrew Cuomo, praising the Trump administration's leadership on the pandemic.
'So the story in the New York Times is a total fake, it's a fake newspaper and they write fake stories. And someday, hopefully in five years when I'm not here, those papers are all going out of business because nobody's going to read them,' Trump told the reporters in the room. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27171768-8215913-image-a-14_1586861296602

+20

Small businesses have been shuttered during the coronavirus epidemic in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn
[size=18]New York and five other states plan reopening after coronavirus

L
[/size]

The story, written by Haberman and five of her colleagues, detailed the 'extent of his halting response' to the threat. 
The president said he wanted to share this presentation amid the pandemic 'because we're getting fake news and I'd like to have it corrected.' 
'They're saying what a great job we're doing,' he said of the governors' praises. 'And the reason they did was to keep you honest,' Trump added. 
The briefing began with Dr. Anthony Fauci coming to the podium to explain that he used a poor choice of words when he said that earlier mitigation would have saved lives. 
Fauci had appeared on CNN's 'State of the Union' on Sunday and said the federal government 'could have saved more lives' if social distancing measures would have been put in place sooner.
'Obviously you could logically say that if you had a process that was ongoing and you started mitigation earlier you could've saved lives, obviously,' Fauci said.
During the interview on Sunday, Fauci mentioned being met with 'pushback' for his recommendations, but revised his wording on Monday. 
'That was the wrong choice of words', he told the journalists in the room. 
Trump denied he intended to fire Fauci when he retweeted a '#firefauci' tweet. 'I'm not firing him, I think he's a wonderful guy,' Trump said.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 14 Apr 2020, 18:04

[size=34]America's richest zip code buys coronavirus tests for all its millionaire residents: Florida's Fisher Island, where average income is $2.5m, makes antibody exams available for its 800 families - even though less than 1% of the state has been tested[/size]

• The luxury Fisher Island has purchased thousands of coronavirus tests for its private residents and workers

• About 800 families live on the exclusive island that's only accessible by boat or helicopter 

• Island officials tell DailyMail.com that over half the residents on island are over age of 60 

• Fisher Island is the wealthiest zip code in the US where club memberships cost $250,000 & average annual income was $2.5million in 2015 

• There are between five and nine confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Fisher Island's zipcode 33109  

• The island purchased finger prick antibody tests that check to see if a person has COVID-19 and has developed antibodies for it 

By MARLENE LENTHANG FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 10:13 EDT, 14 April 2020 | UPDATED: 12:52 EDT, 14 April 2020

A luxury private island in Florida has purchased thousands of coronavirus tests for its private residents and workers - even though only one percent of the state has been tested for COVID-19. 
Fisher Island, located off Miami, is the wealthiest zip code in the country, home to multimillion-dollar condos and about 800 families and is only accessible by boat or helicopter. Memberships to the Fisher Island Club cost about $250,000 and the average annual income was $2.5million in 2015, according to Bloomberg. 
Notable residents on the island include Hasbro Toys CEO Alan Hassenfeld, Yard House founder Steele Platt, tennis players Carolina Wozniacki and Boris Becker, former NBA player David Lee and Victoria Secret model Karolina Kurkova. Oprah Winfrey and Mel Brooks also had homes on the oasis. 
There are between five and nine confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Fisher Island's zipcode 33109, according to government data. 
The island purchased antibody tests, which is a blood prick used to determine if someone has been exposed to COVID-19 and if they have developed antibodies to it. 
In Florida overall there are over 21,000 cases of the virus and there have been 499 deaths as of Monday night. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27175284-8217451-The_luxury_Florida_private_enclave_Fisher_Island_has_purchased_t-a-18_1586874217897

+22

The luxury Florida private enclave Fisher Island has purchased thousands of coronavirus tests for its private residents and workers - even though only one percent of the state has been tested for COVID-19. An aerial view of the Fisher Island residential compound pictured above, across the water from the southern tip of Miami Beach
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27176192-8217451-About_800_families_live_on_the_island_and_officials_say_over_hal-a-19_1586874217910

+22

About 800 families live on the island and officials say over half the residents on island are over age of 60
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27175032-8217451-The_wealthy_and_exclusive_island_is_located_off_Miami_Beach_and_-a-20_1586874217921

+22

The wealthy and exclusive island is located off Miami Beach and is reachable only by boat or helicopter
However, just like much of the country, there’s a shortage of testing and people who want a test must meet certain criteria to even be screened. Those without vehicles are unable to access drive-thru testing sites.
The island has ordered and paid for the testing kits so residents and workers who maintain and patrol the island can get tested for the virus. 
Sissy DeMaria, the spokeswoman for Fisher Island, tells DailyMail.com that half the island’s residents are over the age of 60, making them vulnerable to the contagious respiratory disease.
She explains that Fisher Island officials have established an island-wide disease surveillance and testing system with the University of Miami health system.    
'To further minimize spread on the densely populated island with half of the residents over the age of 60 and at high risk, Fisher Island asked UM Health Clinic to procure antibody testing for all employees and residents. Fisher Island is funding the cost of the testing which is underway now,' she said. 

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27183188-8217451-image-a-11_1586879684752

+22

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27182060-8217451-image-m-10_1586879676124

+22

Notable residents on the island include Tennis great Boris Beck and Victoria Secret supermodel Karolina Kurkova
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27185344-8217451-image-a-7_1586882194875

+22

Alan Hassenfeld, 71, was the CEO of Hasbro Toys from 1989 to 2008
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184684-8217451-image-a-4_1586881795667

+22

Former Hasbro Toys CEO Hassenfeld snapped up his three-bedroom, three and a half bath residence in the Palazzo Del Sol luxury condominium complex (above) on Fisher Island for for $8.2million in 2017
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184696-8217451-image-a-5_1586882162691

+22

A picture of a luxury condominium in the Palazzo del Sol where Hassenfeld lives pictured above
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184688-8217451-image-a-11_1586882364522

+22

A view of the tennis courts attached to the Palazzo del Sol luxury condominium complex above
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27181936-8217451-image-a-21_1586879787793

+22

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27181426-8217451-image-m-20_1586879779260

+22

Director Mel Brooks and Oprah Winfrey also had homes on the island
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184860-8217451-image-a-17_1586882609498

+22

Oprah Winfrey's former luxury four-bedroom Fisher Island condo pictured above. She sold her Florida 6,170-square-foot penthouse in 2001 for $6.5million. Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll then purchased it for $13.5 million in 2014
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184544-8217451-image-a-14_1586882369910

+22

Memberships to the Fisher Island Club  (above)cost about $250,000 and the average annual income on the island was $2.5million in 2015
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184548-8217451-image-a-15_1586882548131

+22

An aeriel view of the Fisher Island Club & Resort pictured above
The antibody test is a blood prick used to determine if someone has been exposed to COVID-19 and has developed antibodies to it.   
'Fisher Island Club remains vigilant and continues to actively promote social distancing measures, is encouraging the use of face masks, has closed all Club amenities including golf/tennis/marina/restaurant (takeout only) facilities, and has restricted Island access to only essential personnel and visitors, in addition to all other steps recommended by the CDC, the State of Florida and Miami Dade County Executive Orders,' DeMaria said in a statement.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27175290-8217451-The_UHealth_clinic_says_that_testing_and_follow_up_contact_traci-a-23_1586874218000

+22

The UHealth clinic says that testing and follow-up contact tracing for those who tested positive for COVID-19 will be completed this week. The Fisher Island Ferry pictured above
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27176188-8217451-A_person_familiar_with_Fisher_Island_s_testing_who_wished_to_rem-a-21_1586874217932

+22

A person familiar with Fisher Island’s testing, who wished to remain anonymous, said the test was offered to several Miami-Dade police offers who work on the island and results were available within 15 minutes. A view of Fisher island from across the water in Miami beach pictured above
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27174994-8217451-Fisher_Island_Beach_Club_s_beach_on_Biscayne_Bay_pictured_above-a-24_1586874218055

+22

Fisher Island Beach Club's beach on Biscayne Bay pictured above
The UHealth clinic says that testing and follow-up contact tracing for those who tested positive for COVID-19 will be completed this week.  
On the island there is a UHealth clinic where doctors administer the COVID-19 tests.   
'This is what the Fisher Island residents wanted. Our physicians ordered it for them, they paid for it themselves,' UHealth spokeswoman Lisa Worley said to the Miami Herald. 
It's not clear how much these tests cost nor how many people have been tested so far. 
A person familiar with Fisher Island’s testing, who wished to remain anonymous, said the test was offered to several Miami-Dade police offers who work there and results were available within 15 minutes. 
So far the antibody tests have not been made widely available in South Florida. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27176176-8217451-The_UHealth_clinic_says_that_testing_and_follow_up_contact_traci-m-21_1586883133897

+22

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27177938-8217451-The_island_purchased_coronavirus_antibody_tests_for_its_resident-a-22_1586883142294

+22

The UHealth clinic says that testing and follow-up contact tracing for those who tested positive for COVID-19 will be completed this week. The island purchased coronavirus antibody tests for its residents and employees. The antibody test is a blood prick used to determine if someone has been exposed to COVID-19 and has developed antibodies to it. Stock image of a test above
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27179150-8217451-Medical_personnel_conduct_coronavirus_drive_thru_testing_outside-a-17_1586874217624

+22

Medical personnel conduct coronavirus drive-thru testing outside Daytona International Speedway in Florida on April 10
Earlier this month Miami-Dade county secured 10,000 blood tests that cost $17 a piece supplied by a company named BioMedomics from North Carolina.  
On Monday the first drive-thru testing site in Miami-Dade used these finger prick tests instead of the nasal swabs used at other sites – which is the preferred method to diagnose COVID 19.
However, that site only accommodated 200 appointments a day and the priority was given to seniors and first responders.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez said that Fisher Island’s purchase of tests was separate from a COVID-19 blood testing program being administered by the county and University of Miami researchers which is testing a random sample of 750 residents each week. 
It's not clear yet how the rest of Florida is responding to Fisher Island's move to preserve their wealthy community, home to minor celebrities including retired tennis player Andre Agassi, Cagney & Lacey actress Sharon Gless, and billionaire Syntel founder Bharat Desai. 
Two lavish Fisher Island homes were included in the top five Miami-Dade residential sales reported last week. They include a $4.6million home spanning 4,590 square feet and a $2.7million condominium spanning 2,858 feet, according to the Miami Herald.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27176950-8217451-image-a-27_1586874218131

+22

[size=34]Coronavirus antibodies do NOT guarantee immunity, doctors warn, as uncertainty over the testing that was supposed to get the world back to work grows[/size]

Doctors have made the terrifying claim that even if a person is found to have antibodies against COVID-19, it does not necessarily make them immune to the killer virus that has crippled the world. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27177352-8217451-The_tests_look_for_two_different_antibodies_IgM_and_IgG_This_is_-a-25_1586874218084

+22

The tests look for two different antibodies - IgM and IgG. This is Genesystems' test
Many are hinging their hopes of reopening society and getting back to work on a so-called immunity 'passport' that means they have had the virus, recovered from it and cannot be reinfected because of antibodies in their blood. 
But none of the dozens of tests being rushed through production and scaled up around the world are full-proof. 
Some are not sensitive enough to detect the antibodies and some cannot differentiate them from antibodies against other illnesses. 
Now, doctors are warning that even if the test is nailed down, it might not serve in the way people think it will. 
'Just because you have antibodies doesn’t mean you have immunity,' Carlos del Rio, executive associate dean of the Emory School of Medicine in Georgia, said on Friday. 
'Everybody is being optimistic you have some sort of sustained immunity for at least the ensuing months to a year. 
'But it is still somewhat an assumption,' Kelly Wroblewski, the Association of Public Health Laboratories’ director of infectious diseases, added in a statement to Politico.  
On Monday, officials from the World Health Organization admitted that they are not confident a person cannot be infected a second time too.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 14 Apr 2020, 18:07

[size=34]BREAKING NEWS: Barack Obama endorses Joe Biden for president saying his 'empathy and grace' are needed in the White House - as he praises Bernie Sanders as an 'American original' and issues full-throated condemnation of Republicans promising to be on campaign trail 'as soon as I can'[/size]

• President Obama is expected to endorse his former vice president, Joe Biden, for president later Tuesday 

• Biden got the endorsement of his final rival, Bernie Sanders, on Monday, formally making him the Democrats' presumptive presidential nominee 

• Since Sanders dropped out of the primary race last week, Democrats have been chomping at the bit to get Obama involved in taking on President Trump  

By NIKKI SCHWAB, SENIOR U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 10:17 EDT, 14 April 2020 | UPDATED: 13:04 EDT, 14 April 2020

President Obama asked the Democrats to unite behind Joe Biden in a 12-minute video Tuesday as he finally stepped into the 2020 campaign. 
Obama said Biden represents the right kind of leadership 'the kind of leadership guided by knowledge and experience, honesty and humility, empathy and grace.' 
'That kind of leadership doesn't just belong in our state capitals and mayors offices, it belongs in the White House,' Obama said. 'And that's why I'm so proud to endorse Joe Biden for president of the United States.' 
Obama did his part to pull the Democratic Party together calling Bernie Sanders an 'American original' and said Sanders' ideas would be needed.
'Because for the second time in 12 years, we'll have the incredible task of rebuilding our economy,' Obama said. 'And to meet the moment, the Democratic Party will have to be bold.'  
He said that what Biden and Sanders have in common is that they agree that change needs to occur. 
'And that only happens if we win this election,' Obama warned. 
'Because one thing everybody has learned right now is the Republicans occupying the White House and running the U.S. Senate are not interested in progress, they're interested in power,' the former president said. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184374-8217841-image-a-43_1586881559700

+3

President Obama released a 12-minute video on Tuesday announcing his endorsement of Joe Biden, his former vice president 
[size=10][size=18]Barack Obama endorses Joe Biden for president

[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27179582-8217841-image-a-22_1586873703451

+3

Obama's endorsement will come one day after Biden (left) had a surprise visitor on his livestream - Bernie Sanders (right), who went ahead and endorsed the former vice president and said he would assist his campaign 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27179576-8217841-image-a-31_1586873990397

+3

Biden (right) served for eight years as Obama's (left) vice president. Here they're photographed on the day Obama presented Biden with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, for Biden's decades of public service in the Senate and White House 
In the video, Obama said choosing Biden to be his vice president was one of the 'best decisions' he ever made - and called Biden a 'good friend.' 
He talked about how the losses Biden experienced in his own life - losing his first wife and daughter in a car accident and later his son, Beau, to cancer - would help him 'heal' the country post-coronavirus pandemic. 
'And I know he'll surround himself with good people,' Obama continued. 'Experts, scientists, military officials, who actually know how to run the government and care about doing a good job running the government and know how to work with our allies,' the former president said. 
'And who will always put the American people's interest above their own,' Obama added. 
Obama then turned to the crowded Democratic primary, which quickly winnowed down once the caucuses and primaries kicked off in February. 
'Joe will be a better candidate for having run the gauntlet of primaries and caucuses alongside one of the most impressive Democratic field ever,' Obama said. 
He called the Democratic hopefuls 'talented and decent' and said they presented the American people with 'serious visions for our future.'  
At that, Obama turned to Sanders, who dropped out of the race six days ago. 
'He and I have not always agreed on everything,' Obama admitted. 'We both know nothing is more powerful than millions of voices calling for change. 
'And the ideas he's championed. The energy and enthusiasm he inspired, especially in young people, will be critical in moving America in a direction of progress and hope,' the former president said. 
Obama, who looks like a moderate in comparison to Sanders, a self-proclaimed democratic socialist, suggested his own views had moved further to the left. 
He said if he was running in the 2020 race, 'I wouldn't run the same race or have the same platform that I did in 2008.' 
'The world is different, there's too much unfinished business for us to just look backwards, we have to look to the future,' Obama said. 
'Bernie understand that and Joe understands that,' Obama added, telling Democrats - especially Sanders' supporters - that Biden has the most progressive platform in history.  
Obama said that even before the current crisis 'it was already clear that we needed real, structural change.' 
That phrasing echoed Elizabeth Warren's calls for 'big, structural change' throughout her presidential run. 
Warren has yet to endorse Biden, but she's expected to in coming days.  
'We need to do more than just tinker around the edges with tax credits and underfunded programs,' Obama also said. 
Obama never hit President Trump head on, but spoke in coded language to criticize his rule. 
'This crisis has reminded us that government matters. It's reminded us that good government matters. That facts and science matter. That the rule of law matters. That having leaders that are informed and honest and seek to bring people together rather than drive them apart, those kinds of leaders matter,' Obama said.
'In other words, elections matter,' he said.     
'Right now we need Americans of good will to unite in a great awakening against a politics that too often has been characterized by corruption, carelessness, self-dealing, disinformation, ignorance and just plain meanness,' Obama said.  
Obama pleaded that Americans 'of all political stripes' get involved to reject Trump, though didn't use the president's name.  
'And I will see you on the campaign trail, as soon as I can,' Obama promised. 

Obama's nod came one day after Sanders made a surprise appearance on Biden's livestream and endorsed the former vice president, formally making him the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee. 
Since Sanders dropped out of the 2020 Democratic race last week, Democrats have been chomping at the bit to get Obama involved in the race to take on President Trump.  
For Obama, it's personal.  
While Obama was in office Trump - then the host of NBC's 'The Apprentice' - was a constant Twitter critic and fueled the so-called 'birther' conspiracy theory, which suggested the Democratic president wasn't legitimate because he was born in Africa, not Hawaii. 
Obama, the country's first black president, was born in Hawaii to a white American mother and an African father. 
During the 2020 cycle, Obama has stuck to the sidelines, wanting to appear that he wasn't interfering in the primary contest - despite Biden serving for eight years as his vice president. 
Trump tried to take advantage of that silence last seek as Biden was sewing up the nomination. 
'And I don't know why President Obama hasn't supported Joe Biden a long time ago,' Trump said from White House podium Wednesday, several hours after Sanders announced he was suspending his campaign. 'There's something he feels is wrong,' Trump claimed.  
The current president speculated that Obama would soon endorse Biden 'because he certainly doesn't want to see me for four more years.'  
'You know what, I'll tell you, it does amaze me that President Obama hasn't supported Sleepy Joe,' Trump continued, using his nickname for Biden. 'It just hasn't happened, when is it going to happen?' 
'He knows something that you don't know. That I think I know, but you don't know,' Trump said. 
Trump has tried to present Biden, who at 77 is four years older than him, as addled and out of it, suggesting often that his staff does the work for him. 
On Tuesday responding to the news of the coming endorsement, Trump's 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale also played up the idea that Obama had been dragging his feet. 
'Barack Obama spent much of the last five years urging Joe Biden not to run for president out of fear that he would embarrass himself,' Parscale said in a statement. 'Now that Biden is the only candidate left in the Democrat field, Obama has no other choice but to support him.' 
'Even Bernie Sanders beat him to it,' Parscale pointed out. 
'Obama was right in the first place: Biden is a bad candidate who will embarrass himself and his party. President Trump will destroy him,' Trump's campaign manager said.   
Biden has been increasingly critical of Trump's coronavirus response, though has seen his campaign sidelined by the pandemic as he's forced to do online-only campaigning from his recreation room at home in Wilmington, Delaware. 
Neither Biden, nor Sanders when he remained in the race, has been able to engage with supporters in person since mid-March. 
Trump has replaced his packed campaign rallies with his daily coronavirus taskforce press briefings, which will sometimes go on for more than two hours.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Tue 14 Apr 2020, 19:54

The Obama-Biden administration with Pelosi as Speaker at the helm is responsible for the unthinkable health care system we currently live under.  When asked at the debate who would give up their PPO insurance, Biden was one who stated he would not be willing to give up his PPO insurance. 

Anybody who believes the "standard" of health care will match the standards given to those who hold PPO insurance under Biden are in for a wide awakening.  Biden says he would be willing adjust medicare.  How? 

The standard of care under the Obama-Biden administration Affordable Care
Act IS DIABOLICAL.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 14 Apr 2020, 21:47

party animal - not! wrote:I think there are many different systems within each country - for instance we would not consider having anybody in our garden - which is quite large because the visitors would have to go through the house to get to it and the government have made it a priority to protect the health services from being more overrun than necessary. Most communication is via a phone, computers (Zoom etc) so I wouldn't encourage my children to come and see us. I do know of some whose parents are elderly and so leave bags of food at the door and wave through the window.
PAN,
none of us had considered sitting in our garden if everybody needed to enter the garden through the house. We've got an extra garden entrance, and they didn't go into the house, so we all took the risk. But that's something everybody has to decide for himself. After all, my husband is still marrying people, and I'm still going to work since our profession is of systematic importance...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Tue 14 Apr 2020, 21:53

Heartlove,
how good was the health care system in the States before the ACA? I've always understood it as an improvement / addition to the health care system before.
But since I live in a country with a nationwide health care system for everybody I can't imagine having to choose between staying at home when feeling sick and being able to feed my family...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 14 Apr 2020, 22:30

Couldn't agree with you more, Carol - and I simply cannot believe that a country as wealthy as the States - cannot seem to afford to care for its own citizens. The latest figures say that something approaching 40 million people cannot afford any sort of healthcare.

I too am really grateful that I live in a country with a national health service that cares for all its citizens regardless of the health problems who treats everybody the same, and where all visitors are treated exactly the same way - including people like Hillary Clinton who last time she was here had an ankle injury and was taken to hospital

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Tue 14 Apr 2020, 23:03

Medicaid is Government sponsored insurance.  California has Medical and that is the Government sponsored insurance for this state.  In my case, L. A. Care is the health insurance provider and the government pays L. A. Care.

Before the ACA, with MediCal you could go to any Primary Care or Specialty doctor and the government paid the health care provider directly. 

The problem is there no accountability for substandard care when you have state sponsored insurance.  The "diabolical" care my brother received was with a hospital contacted with state sponsored insurance.  The hospital that provided good care is not contracted with government sponsored insurance.  Emergency departments by law can help any person regardless of insurance.  I thank God and all the doctors at U. C. L. A. that provided the care he needed.

Just to be clear there is a government agency that is suppose to oversee L. A. Care (government sponsored insurance).   When I contacted the government agency, they sent the complaint back to L. A. Care.  The person I talked to at the overseeing... agency told me my complaint goes to the abyss...  nothing would be done about it and she was right. 

I did not stop Governor Brown (former), the Attorney General, and the current Governor Newsom have a detailed account of the diabolical care my brother received under state sponsored insurance.  Before Governor Brown left office I got a letter from his office stating wrong doing was noted.  My appeal to opt out of corporate sponsored "MediCal" insurance due to substandard care was NEVER addressed.  My hope is it will reach the hands of someone who cares.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 14 Apr 2020, 23:06

The fact is sadly there have always been bad doctors and people who don't do their job correctly.   ACA didn't cause bad medical professionals they have always existed many people have had bad care even before ACA
came in to play.
I remember well before ACA complaints about wrong treatments including a man who had the wrong leg amputated. 

ACA actually helped people who couldn't afford it finally get health care.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Tue 14 Apr 2020, 23:12

The difference is before the ACA you had the choice to go to any doctor.

After the ACA you are stuck with corporate contracted health providers.

The STANDARD OF CARE IS NOT THE SAME UNDER CORPORATE SPONSORED GOVERNMENT INSURANCE.

Annemarie, at the Democratic debate the question was asked who would be willing to give up their PPO insurance. All but three were unwilling to change to the DIABOLICAL health care insurance they voted for and Obama signed.  Biden was one who stated he would not be willing to change his PPO insurance. 

Annemarie, do you have government sponsored insurance.  If you don't you can't speak to the care that is provided or the cost that is incurred under government sponsored insurance.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 14 Apr 2020, 23:40

There are people who have had no problem with ACA. I do know people who have the insurance and they don't have any problem with it they have had good treatment.

I do wish we had national health care, that will never happen sadly.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Tue 14 Apr 2020, 23:47

Annemarie, I'm speaking about my own experience with the diabolical Obama/Biden administration health care.  And the cost to those, who I know have Obamacare and have incurred astronomical health care cost.

Do you have government sponsored insurance?

If you don't, you are the person talking about something you HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Apr 2020, 00:36

I explained that I have friends who have it and they have had no problems.  You are speaking for your self I am speaking for those I know and they have had no problem.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Apr 2020, 00:43

[size=34]BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump abandons fantasy that he calls the shots and says individual governors will decide on when to reopen economy - claiming some will get going BEFORE May 1[/size]

• President Trump abandoned his push for 'total authority' to reopen the country

• Said he would leave the decision in the hands of the individual governors 

• 'The governors are going to be running their individual states,' Trump said 

• Earlier Trump called any governor who resisted his 'total authority' a mutineer 

• President threatened to withhold coronavirus aid 

• 'A good old fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the Captain' 

• Trump tweet came after Andrew Cuomo called him 'schizophrenic' for claiming he has 'total authority' over the states to reopen the United States 

• 'It makes no sense. It is schizophrenic,' Cuomo told CNN 

• But he later said he wouldn't fight with Trump

• 'The president will have no fight with me. I will not engage,' Cuomo said 

• New York governor said he would refuse an order from Trump to reopen his state and said he would take the matter to the courts to decide

• 'We would have a constitutional challenge between the state and the federal government and that would go into the courts,' Cuomo said 

• He warned Trump could create a 'constitutional crisis'

• 'The only way this situation gets worse is if the president creates a constitutional crisis,' Cuomo said on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe' 

• In a heated press conference inside the White House on Monday evening, Trump asserted that his office holds 'absolute power' over the states 

• 'The president of the United States calls the shots,' Trump said   

By EMILY GOODIN, SENIOR U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 18:51 EDT, 14 April 2020 | UPDATED: 19:41 EDT, 14 April 2020

President Donald Trump on Tuesday abandoned his push for 'total' authority to reopen the country and said he would leave the decision in the hands of the individual governors of each state. 
Facing angry governors and a violation of the U.S. Constitution, the president tried to spin his decision as one of graciousness, saying he would be 'authorizing' the governors to make their own decisions.
'I will be speaking to all 50 governors very shortly. And I will then be authorizing each individual governor of each individual state to implement a reopening, very powerful reopening plan of their estate in a time in a manner which is most appropriate,' Trump said at his daily White House press briefing.
He backed down from his threat to withhold aid from states who wouldn't fall in line and attempted to paint his relationship with the governors as strong and respectful. 
'The governors will be very, very respectful of the presidency,' he noted. 'This isn't me. This is the presidency. The presidency has such a great importance in terms of what we are doing. You can talk about constitution. You can talk about federalism. You can talk about whatever you want. But the best way, I am talking now from a managerial standpoint, to let individual governors run individual states and come to us if they have difficulty and we will help them.'
He went on to praise the governors for their work after accusing them of mutiny when many of them - led by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo - said they would decide what was best for their state, not the president. 
'The governors are responsible, they have to take charge and do a great job,' he said, a remarkable change from his angry tone on Monday, when Trump proclaimed he alone has the authority to reopen the economy, which is suffering in the wake of the coronavirus.
'When somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total,' Trump said on Monday.
On Tuesday, after an outpouring of criticism and waving of the constitution, Trump said: 'The governors are going to be running their individual states.'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27197544-0-image-a-42_1586904650695

+25

President Donald Trump abandoned his push for 'total authority' to reopen the country and said he would leave the decision in the hands of the individual governors of each state
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27197906-8219511-image-a-48_1586907231087

+25

Many governors - including Andrew Cuomo of New York - disagreed with the president's pronouncement of executive power
Constitutional scholars and governors disagreed with the president's assessment on Monday that the power rested with him to reopen the country. All pointed to the 10th amendment of the Constitution, which gives states precedent over the federal government. 
Trump said some states could even reopen before May 1 - which is the date his '30 Days to Slow the Spread' of the coronavirus ends. 
'The day must be close because certain states as you know are in much different condition. It's going to be very, very close. Maybe even before the date of May 1st,' he said. 
'We have one country but we have lots of different pieces. It's a puzzle. We have beautiful pieces, beautiful states with capable governors. They know when it's time to open. We don't want to put pressure on anybody. I'm not going to put any pressure on any governor to open,' Trump said. 
Tuesday's announcement was a surrender for the president, who also threatened to withhold coronavirus aid from states if the governors didn't heed his call to reopen the country.
'Tell the Democrat Governors that “Mutiny On The Bounty” was one of my all time favorite movies. A good old fashioned mutiny every now and then is an exciting and invigorating thing to watch, especially when the mutineers need so much from the Captain. Too easy!,' he tweeted.
Cuomo led the charge in blasting Trump for his pronouncement of authority and said he would take the issue to the courts.  
The New York governor called the president 'schizophrenic' and threatened to take him to court over the matter as a constitutional crisis began to brew. 
Cuomo claimed he didn't want to fight with the president - despite Trump 'spoiling' for one. Cuomo went on to make the point he didn't need to fight because the constitution was on the side of the states and not the federal government.
'The president is clearly spoiling for a fight on this issue,' Cuomo said at his daily press briefing in New York, referring to President Trump's mutiny tweet.
'Sometimes it takes more strength frankly to walk away from a fight than engage. The president will have no fight with me. I will not engage,' he said.
The governor also spent several minutes lecturing on how the constitution favors states, essentially arguing with Trump's point via a talk on early American history.
'This is basic federalism, the role of states and the role of the federal government. It is important to get this right. The founding fathers understood and I remembered today that the balance between the state and the federal, the magnificent balance articulated in the constitution is the essence of our democracy. We don't have a king in this country. We didn't want a king, so we have a constitution and we elect the president. The states, the colonies formed the federal government. The federal government did not form the states,' he said.
He went on to quote Alexander Hamilton, the first treasury secretary who was one of the framers of the Constitution. Hamilton's Federalist Papers have been used by courts to determine the intentions of the founding fathers.  
'Hamilton, who in many ways was representative of this discussion of the balance of power, state governments possess inherent advantages, and will forever preclude the possibility of federal encroachment on the states. The federal head is repugnant to every rule of political calculations. Strong language but that was a premise,' Cuomo said.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184918-8217495-image-a-21_1586881417536

+25

Donald Trump called any governor who resisted his 'total authority' as president a mutineer
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27184756-8217495-image-a-22_1586881428783

+25

But New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said he wouldn't fight with the president
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27182182-8217495-image-a-20_1586877712169

+25

[size=10][size=18]Governor Cuomo refutes Trump's claim of 'total authority'

Lo
[/size][/size]

Cuomo added he was willing to talk to Trump at any time. 
'I've always had an open line of communication with him. At different times in the past, when he hasn't been happy with me and I haven't been throwing bouquets to him, we've always communicated. I'm sure we will communicate now,' he said. 

Mutiny on the Bounty 

The film ‘Mutiny on the Bounty’ tells a fictionalized version of the real-life mutiny led by Fletcher Christian against William Bligh, captain of the HMAV Bounty, in 1789.
The 1962 version starred Marlon Brando as Christian and Trevor Howard as Bligh, setting up Brando as the hero to Howard’s evil, sadistic Bligh.
Bligh is a captain who commands through fear, putting his crew on limited rations and with holding water to complete their mission. But it is Bligh who steals food and taunts Christian, who is the first lieutenant.
The breaking point comes when Christian gives extra water to a sick crew member in violation of Bligh’s orders. Bligh informs Christian he will hang when they reach port.
The crew rebels and overcomes Bligh but Christian is merciful, putting Bligh and his associates in a boat and giving them supplies so they can make it back to Britain.
Bligh does make it back where he demands the mutineers be brought back and tried. 
 Meanwhile, Christian and the crew have found an island to live on but Christian decides he must do the right thing and return to Britain to testify against Bligh. The crew stops him by setting the ship on fire. Christian is killed trying to put out the flames.

Meanwhile, a trio of lawmakers introduced a resolution to debunk Trump's claim to power.
The simple one-sentence resolution states: 'The House of Representatives affirms that when someone is the president of the United States, their authority is not total.'
It was introduced by Democratic lawmakers Tom Malinowski of New Jersey and Dean Phillips of Michigan along with Republican-turned-Independent Congressman Justin Amash of Michigan.
The entire House of Representatives would have to approve it.  
Trump took to Twitter after Cuomo went on the morning shows to slam the president's interpretation of the balance of power between the state and federal government. 
'Cuomo’s been calling daily, even hourly, begging for everything, most of which should have been the state’s responsibility, such as new hospitals, beds, ventilators, etc. I got it all done for him, and everyone else, and now he seems to want Independence! That won’t happen!,' the president wrote. 
The standoff began during a heated press conference inside the White House on Monday evening, when Trump claimed that his office holds 'absolute power' over the shutdowns prompted by the novel coronavirus outbreak - hours after Cuomo and eight other Democratic governors unveiled a pact to work together to co-ordinate the reopenings of their respective states.
'When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total,' Trump told reporters in response to the announcement, declining to specify where his authority to overrule states resides when pressed by DailyMail.com. Instead, he reiterated: 'The federal government has absolute power. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27192928-8217495-image-a-34_1586896062430

+25

[size=18]Governors in conflict with Trump over power to reopen states

Loade
[/size]

But Cuomo pointed out Trump left it up to the states to buy their own medical supplies and to issue stay-at-home orders during the coronavirus crisis, arguing the president can't accede that responsibility to the states and then contend he is an absolute authority.
'This is a 180. I have total authority. I'm going to tell the states what to do. So it makes no sense. It is schizophrenic,' Cuomo said Tuesday morning on CNN's 'New Day.' 

10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. 

The New York governor made it clear he would not obey any such order from Trump to reopen his state, adding he would take the matter to the courts to let them rule on it.
'If he ordered me to reopen in a way that would endanger the public health of the people of my state, I wouldn't do it. And we would have a constitutional challenge between the state and the federal government and that would go into the courts, and that would be the worst possible thing he could do at this moment would be to act dictatorial and to act in a partisan divisive way,' Cuomo said.
The governor warned Trump could create a 'constitutional crisis.'
'The only way this situation gets worse is if the president creates a constitutional crisis. If he says to me, I declare it open, and that is a public health risk or it's reckless with the welfare of the people of my state, I will oppose it. And then we will have a constitutional crisis like you haven't seen in decades,' Cuomo said on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe.'
'I just hope he gets control of what he was saying last night and he doesn't go down that road,' he added. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27187058-8217495-Clark_Gable_played_Fletcher_Christian_in_the_1935_version_of_Mut-m-27_1586889019096

+25

Clark Gable played Fletcher Christian in the 1935 version of 'Mutiny on the Bounty'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27187050-8217495-Marlon_Brando_as_Christian_and_Trevor_Howard_as_Bligh_in_the_196-m-24_1586885148297

+25

Marlon Brando as Christian and Trevor Howard as Bligh in the 1962 film version of 'Mutiny on the Bounty'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27175068-8217495-image-a-10_1586868444136

+25

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo called President Donald Trump 'schizophrenic' for claiming he has 'total authority' over the states to reopen the United States
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27175684-8217495-image-a-11_1586868448489

+25

Andrew Cuomo said he will take President Donald Trump to court if he orders him to reopen New York 

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 6JY1J1Ew_normal

New Day

✔@NewDay

[ltr].@NYGovCuomo: “If [Trump] ordered me to reopen in a way that would endanger the public health of the people of my state, I wouldn’t do it.”https://cnn.it/3ba912R [/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 EVkDgThWAAEJDE9?format=jpg&name=small

8:13 AM - Apr 14, 2020

[ltr]

823 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

Trump has clashed with many of the nation's governors, who have pleaded with the federal government for masks, ventilators, personal protective equipment, and other supplies to battle the coronavirus.

Massachusetts' Republican governor joins Cuomo's 'Covid Corridor Council' after Trump called it a 'band of Democrats' 

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27179540-8217495-Massachusetts_Governor_Charlie_Baker_speaks_during_a_press_brief-a-28_1586891621700
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker

Massachusetts Republican Gov. Charlie Baker has joined a council of northeast Democrats who are coordinating on when to end stay-home orders to begin to reopen their economies – undercutting a claim by President Trump that it is a partisan effort.
The move comes as governors join to form regional pacts to game out when best to begin the process of sending people back to work and lifting orders that have sequestered millions of Americans in their homes.
President Trump wrote off the effort Monday in a press conference where he declared 'total' authority to determine when to reopen the country. He also dismissed the regional blocks as a partisan effort.
'You have a couple of bands of Democrat governors but they will agree to it,' Trump predicted. 

With Baker's decision to join, the northeast bloc also has a prominent moderate Republican. On Tuesday Maryland and Vermont, which both have Republican governors, had not joined.
Baker announced the move in a statement released by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office. Cuomo, whose state leads the globe in coronavirus cases and is also the engine of the Northeast economy, is leading the effort. 
'The Baker-Polito Administration looks forward to participating in discussions with neighboring states and experts regarding the ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic,' Baker said. Massachusetts also remains focused on efforts to expand testing, ensure hospital capacity and provide the necessary PPE to those on the front lines to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our communities,' he said regarding protective hospital gear, the Boston Globe reported.
Democratic-led states from Connecticut, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island are participating.
 On the West Coast, governors Gavin Newsom of California, Jay Inslee of Washington and Kate Brown of Oregon unveiled their own scheme just after the north-east version.
'California, Oregon and Washington have agreed to work together on a shared approach for reopening our economies – one that identifies clear indicators for communities to restart public life and business,' the governors said in a joint statements.
The nine states combined account for more than 100 million people, almost a third of its population.     

He also has pushed responsibility on them.
'I want the governors to be running things,' he said earlier this month.
But Trump, who was born in New York and made his name there, has spoken warmly of his relationship with Cuomo, whom he has called a friend. The president's new claim of power, however, has changed the tone between them.
Cuomo was clear Tuesday morning on where he stood. 
'Keep the politics out of it,' he advised Trump during his CNN appearance.
Cuomo acknowledged there is an election coming up in November but said the current health pandemic - over 588,000 infected by the coronavirus in the United States with more than 23,000 deaths - supersedes that. 
'I know he's running for re-election. I know this is a political year. I know it is a hyperpartisan environment. I know it is red versus blue. Not anymore. Not when it comes to this. This is red, white and blue. I have 10,000 deaths in my state. This virus didn't kill Democrats or Republicans. It killed Americans. And it killed New Yorkers. And I'm not going to go down a political road,' Cuomo said.   
Cuomo refuted the president's claim to power, pointing out the constitution lays out the balance of power between the state and federal governments.
'It says the federal government does not have absolute power,' Cuomo said on CNN Tuesday morning. 'It says the exact opposite that the president said. It says that would be a king. We would have had King George Washington and we didn't have King George Washington. We don't have King Trump. We have President Trump. And, remember, the colonies created the federal government. The states created the federal government, not the other way around. We have a tenth amendment that is explicit, certain responsibilities are state responsibilities.'
Cuomo said the situation would be funny if the country weren't in the middle of a health crisis.
'To hear a Republican stand up there, by the way, and argue big government and total authority of the federal government is so amusing,' he said on MSNBC.
'If it wasn't so serious, it could be funny, it could be a comedy skit. It's frightening. It's frightening. This is the last place we should be, this crazy politics, this absurd positioning when we're talking about life and death. And we really have the toughest governmental problem we've ever faced right in front of us, and we have to deal with this absurdity,' he added.
The president, when pressed by reporters at the White House on Monday, could not say how he had the 'total authority' he claimed to hold or who told him he had such power.
'I'll put it very simply. The president of the United States has the authority to do what the president has the authority to do, which is very powerful. The president of the United States calls the shots,' Trump said.  
He then took aim at the governors: 'They can't do anything without the approval of the president of the United States.'
Asked what provisions of the Constitution gave him the power to override the states Trump replied: 'Numerous provisions.'
But he did not name any. 'When somebody's the president of the United States, the authority is total,' Trump said.
He also suggested any governor who defied his order would pay a political price.
'If some states refuse to open, I would like to see that person run for election,' he said.
But Cuomo was quick to take to the airwaves to refute Trump and slammed the president for what he perceived to be an 'abrogation of the Constitution'.
'Mr Trump offered no legal or constitutional basis to back up his claim to exclusive authority to reopen society,' Cuomo told MSNBC on Monday evening.
In his own heated press briefing, the president launched a furious attack on the media and screened a White House-produced video to reporters claiming he took early action against the virus. 
The show reel claimed that the 'media minimized the risk from the start', and showed reporters seemingly agreeing with Trump and governors praising the White House response.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Wed 15 Apr 2020, 00:47

annemarie wrote:I explained that I have friends who have it and they have had no problems.  You are speaking for your self I am speaking for those I know and they have had no problem.

Do your friends suffer from complex medical issues?

Do your friends live in California, government sponsored insurance is different from state to state?

I gave you the example of ELECTED OFFICIALS including Biden, that would not trade their PPO insurance for the ACA they voted for. 

If you don't deal with government sponsored you HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S INVOLVED.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 15 Apr 2020, 01:11

Annemarie, you're right. You all have different forms of health insurance (which seems unbelievably complicated to me)

As I understand it, many many millions of Americans support it and continue to sign up despite Drumpf's screamings and rudeness. It's got to be doing something right!

(OH AND WHY ALL THE CAPITAL LETTERS???!)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Apr 2020, 01:22

Yes Pan it is it is giving people who can't afford doctor's medical help. 

Ladybug , I don't have to put my hand in a fire to know it's hot. Bottom line I explained that those I know

haven't had any problems. I also know people who appreciate having the insurance.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Wed 15 Apr 2020, 01:29

annemarie wrote:Yes Pan it is it is giving people who can't afford doctor's medical help. 

Ladybug , I don't have to put my hand in a fire to know it's hot. Bottom line I explained that those I know

haven't had any problems. I also know people who appreciate having the insurance.
The insurance provided under the ACA whether you understand or not is DIABOLICAL.

You don't have it or deal with it so YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

There was a reason Democratic Presidential hopefuls would NOT WANT to give up their insurance for the the health care ACT THEY VOTED FOR; they know it's DIABOLICAL.

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 OIP.oGXDTb-evvQxLMVaKLahsAHaEo?w=300&h=187&c=7&o=5&pid=1

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 15 Apr 2020, 06:48

Okay, thanks for all your explanations and examples.
So one problem seems to be federalism in your health care system. So some federal states like California had provided a health care system for their citizens before, and this system colluded with the ACA. Did every federal state have a health care system before ACA? And, if, why was there a need for a nationwide improvement? To call a system diabolical (in capital letters) is like Waterloo IMHO, meaning it can't be an improvement for anybody.

I had talked about this before (but don't know if you were here then). My twins were born after 26 weeks of pregnancy, so very premature. They spent more than six months in hospital, more than three months in intensive care, needed several live-saving surgical operations and a lot of treatment afterwards. They still have therapies every week and spend weeks in a rehabilitation hospital regularly. This whole time meant a lot of stress for my husband and myself, we very often feared for their lives. But yet we never had to worry about money. The bills for all their treatments and therapies are paid, and that's a relief. I do know how much our society paid and still pays to save my kids and to stay in a good health condition, and I'm very grateful for that.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Wed 15 Apr 2020, 07:49

Carol,

If over 18 years old you had to qualify for government subsidized Health care.  For those who did not qualify free clinics (government sponsored) were available to all.  The problem with free clinics, specialized/complex health care was not easy to access.  And a lot of people do not know these clinics existed.

Able bodied working adults, employers would cover health insurance or pay a portion and the employee would make up the difference in health care cost. 

Problem: often times Health insurers did not want to cover people with extreme-complex health conditions.  That glitch in the system was what the Health Care lobby pushed to get the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) passed.  

The problem with Obamacare:  health insurance cost has increase dramatically for average wage earners.  Employers cover less and wage earnings have not increased with the rise in health care insurance cost.  I talked to a father with a wife and 3 children, his health care cost went from the hundreds to the thousands over a 3 year period under Obamacare.  And truth be told, Under Obamacare health care insurers charge astronomical co-pays and/or still will not cover preexisting/complex medical care problems.

Seniors 65 and older are eligible for Government sponsored insurance they paid into as wage earners.  Under that insurance they have the option to choose any health care provider and it is very good insurance.  There are specialized hospitals for children with special needs, those are supported by major donations.  Children under 18 generally have health care provided in one form or another.  

I've explained the changes and problems with the current government sponsored insurance - Obamacare. The STANDARD OF CARE under government sponsored Obamacare is different from preferred provider organized (PPO) insurance.  The standard of care provided under PPO insurance should be the exact same standard under government subsidized insurance.  Currently it is not. 

My bother is just one family member I've had major quality of care, health care concerns.  I've moved both parents out of any Obamacare sponsored insurance.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 15 Apr 2020, 16:57

IMO the problem with our health care system is that it's an "industry". It's a collection of companies run for profit, so all decisions about the care they'll approve are made through the lens of making money for the company.

We have various forms of government backed insurance because too many people can't afford private insurance and because many insurance companies won't cover people who they think might cost them money. Unfortunately, some government sponsored programs don't pay their employees as much as the private sector so they might not get the caliber of personnel the private sector gets. Still, I believe that , for the most part, these people do the best they can for their patients.

For many reasons health care is very expensive in this country. The whole system has to be revamped from the bottom up to make it accessible and affordable for all citizens. It will require a bipartisan governmental effort made in good faith with the people of this country. Right now I don't see this happening, but it might if enough constituents suffer from the corona virus and blame their government representatives for the health care system's failure.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Apr 2020, 17:41

The problem is a lot of these constituents are trump people they won't blame him or their republican reps.  I also don't think the rich would be willing to pay in anyway for the poorer to have better health care.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Apr 2020, 17:42

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8221507/NYC-pediatrician-issues-warning-80-cent-children-city-infected-COVID-19.html

[size=34]NYC pediatrician issues grim warning that 80 per cent of children in the city are infected with COVID- 19 but claims lack of testing doesn't make them a priority to get medical assistance[/size]

• Dr Dyan Hes, a pediatrician with New York City's Gramercy Pediatrics, offered the grim statistic when explaining that there were 'zero tests for children' 

• Roughly 1.7 per cent of the coronavirus cases reported as of April 2 were patients under the age of 18

• Some 147 children have been hospitalized, including 59 that are under the age of one

• Three children have died from the virus

• Dr Hes believes that the real numbers of children with the disease are much worse, blaming the lack of testing for why more accurate figures aren't available

• Doctors are offering video consultations for those who need to have their children's health monitored 

• The pediatrician's statements come as New York City announced 3,778 additional 'probable' deaths attributed to coronavirus 

By MATTHEW WRIGHT FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 10:18 EDT, 15 April 2020 UPDATED: 11:41 EDT, 15 April 2020

• [email=?subject=Read%20this:%20NYC%20pediatrician%20issues%20grim%20warning%20that%2080%20per%20cent%20of%20children%20in%20the%20city%20are%20infected%20with%20COVID-%2019%20but%20claims%20lack%20of%20testing%20doesn%27t%20make%20them%20a%20priority%20to%20get%20medical%20assistance%C2%A0&body=NYC%20pediatrician%20issues%20grim%20warning%20that%2080%20per%20cent%20of%20children%20in%20the%20city%20are%20infected%20with%20COVID-%2019%20but%20claims%20lack%20of%20testing%20doesn%27t%20make%20them%20a%20priority%20to%20get%20medical%20assistance%C2%A0%0A%0ADr%20Dyan%20Hes%2C%20a%20pediatrician%20with%20New%20York%20City%27s%20Gramercy%20Pediatrics%2C%20offered%20the%20grim%20statistic%20when%20explaining%20that%20there%20were%20%27zero%20tests%20for%20children%27%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-8221507%2FNYC-pediatrician-issues-warning-80-cent-children-city-infected-COVID-19.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top%0A%0A%0AMost%20Read%20Articles%3A%0A%0ABeijing%20warns%20it%20is%20%27seriously%20concerned%27%20about%20US%20decision%20to%20suspend%20%24500m%20WHO%20funding%20after%20Donald%20Trump%20accused%20the%20health%20body%20of%20%27accelerating%20the%20pandemic%27%20by%20opposing%20his%20China%20travel%20ban%C2%A0%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-8219433%2FDonald-Trump-freezes-U-S-funding-World-Health-Organization.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0ANurse%2C%2033%2C%20becomes%20the%20latest%20frontline%20healthcare%20worker%20to%20die%20from%20coronavirus%20as%20her%20husband%20says%20hospital%20DIDN%27T%20give%20her%20a%20mask%20to%20treat%20patients%C2%A0%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-8218501%2FTravelling-nurse-33-dead-home-exposure-coronavirus-without-wearing-PPE.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AThe%20%241%2C200%20stimulus%20checks%20to%20Americans%20are%20%27delayed%20for%20days%20because%20Trump%20demanded%20the%20IRS%20print%20his%20name%20on%20them%27%C2%A0%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-8220083%2FStimulus-checks-delayed-days-Trump-demanded-them.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0A]e-mail[/email]

[size=32]60
shares

[/size]
[size=32]109[/size]
[size]

[/size]
View comments
[size]
[/size]

A New York pediatrician said she thought a staggering 80 per cent of children in the city are infected with the coronavirus as she explained that most kids have not been tested as they are not the priority in hospitals. 
Dr Dyan Hes, a pediatrician with New York City's Gramercy Pediatrics, offered the grim statistic when explaining that there were 'zero tests for children' to see whether they had COVID-19. 
'We have zero tests for children. We have zero swabs,' she explained to CBS. 'I've had patients whose parents have COVID, child has a 102.5 fever. At the beginning when we were doing this, we were sending them to the ER. They got turned away. They were not tested because we do not have enough tests and the kids are doing well.' 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222614-8221507-image-a-11_1586959956624

+6

Dr Dyan Hes, a pediatrician with New York City's Gramercy Pediatrics, offered the grim statistic when explaining that there were 'zero tests for children'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222612-8221507-image-a-12_1586959961332

+6

Dr Hes believes that the real numbers of children with the disease are much worse, blaming the lack of testing for why more accurate figures aren't available

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 D0Q4voGK_normal

CBS News

✔@CBSNews

[ltr]"I don't mean to be rude, but the numbers are totally wrong”

Dr. Dyan Hes, founder of Gramercy Pediatrics, says she thinks 80% of children have coronavirus — but they are not being tested.https://cbsn.ws/3elkf6K [/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 Hd-QYHCzAC-h7GgZ?format=jpg&name=small

1:05 PM - Apr 14, 2020
[size][ltr]

121 people are talking about this

[/ltr]

A CDC report published last week that focused on the diseases impact on children found that while 'most cases reported among children to date have not been severe, clinicians should maintain a high index of suspicion for COVID-19 infection in children and monitor for progression of illness, particularly among infants and children with underlying conditions.' 
Roughly 1.7 per cent of the coronavirus cases reported as of April 2 were patients under the age of 18. Some 147 children have been hospitalized, including 59 that are under the age of 1. Three children have died from the virus. 
But Dr Hes believes that the real numbers of children with the disease are much worse, blaming the lack of testing for why more accurate figures aren't available. 
'I don't mean to be rude, but the numbers are totally wrong,' Hes said. 'I think that probably 80% of the children have coronavirus. We are not testing children. I'm in New York City. I can't get my patients tested. And we have to assume, if they are sick, they have coronavirus. 
'Most of them, probably 80 to 90% of them, are asymptomatic. So, these numbers are so skewed. I think that the mortality rate is way, way less than 0.5% for children who have it because it is so prevalent. You have to remember thousands of kids die from flu a year. This is much, much less virulent in children.'
The pediatrician said families should just assume their child probably has the coronavirus if they start showing symptoms.  
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222428-8221507-image-a-14_1586959978410

+6

The pediatrician's statements come as New York City announced 3,778 additional 'probable' deaths attributed to coronavirus, which were never confirmed because no test was administered
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27229326-8221507-image-a-4_1586964556367

+6

'You won't know,' she said. 'If your child does have a low-grade fever right now and a cold, you have to assume that it's COVID because you're really not going to get tested in New York City. In other states, maybe you'll get tested. But in most places, we're saving the tests for the sickest.'
Dr Hes said that the large number of children with asymptomatic symptoms could spell disaster for others who could still get infected. 
'The problem with children is that they are so asymptomatic that they are spreading it. And our biggest mistake was that we didn't close the public schools when we should have,' said Hes. 
'So the children were the vectors to the teachers, who might be elderly or immunocompromised. They might have diabetes or cancer, but they still had to come to work every day. They still had to take the subway every day.' 
Doctors are offering video consultations for those who need to have their children's health monitored.  
'The really only reason your child should be going to a physician at this point, aside from a vaccine visit, is if they're short of breath,' she said. 
'If you're social distanced and your child has a fever, then somehow that child probably brought it into the house by playing with a neighbor or maybe when you went grocery shopping, you brought it in. But you just have to keep that child at home for 14 days. Socially distance. When they go back out, if they're above age 2, they should be wearing masks.'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27229334-8221507-image-a-2_1586964524440

+6

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27229332-8221507-image-a-3_1586964533070

+6

Children under two struggle tolerating the masks, the doctor added.      
Some 21 teachers in the city have died as a result of the coronavirus, according to the New York City of Education on Monday. The report from the CDC does state that children with mild or no symptoms did contribute to the spread of the virus.   
Earlier this week, health department officials shared that they were headed towards not having enough swabs to conduct tests for the virus.
As the swab supply continues to decline, there is a real possibility hospitals will completely run out,' the April 11 health alert said.
'At this time, providers are reminded to only test hospitalized patients in order to preserve resources that are needed to diagnose and appropriately manage patients with more severe illness.'
The warning came amid repeated pleas from New York City and state officials for the federal government to provide widespread testing in order to move to a containment phase in the coronavirus outbreak.
Since early February, when the number of coronavirus cases confirmed in the United States was just a handful, city officials have been begging the government for test kits.

RELATED ARTICLES

[/size]

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27224952-0-image-m-19_1586959491698Bill de Blasio says he is 'hopeful' New York City will...The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27223068-0-image-a-13_1586957497158Eight retiree neighbors got infected with coronavirus and...

[size]

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

At least three letters were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention beginning in early February asking the federal agency to expedite the delivery of coronavirus test kits to the city.  
The pediatrician's statements come as New York City announced 3,778 additional 'probable' deaths attributed to coronavirus, which were never confirmed because no test was administered.
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222424-8221507-image-a-16_1586959987682
There are more than 6,500 confirmed deaths
The probable deaths, announced on Tuesday, occurred between March 11 and April 13, and when combined with confirmed deaths take the city's coronavirus death toll higher than 10,000.
The probable cases would put New York City's per capita death rate much higher than Italy's, and increase the national U.S. death toll by roughly 17 percent.
Due to a shortage of test kits, particularly in the early days of the outbreak, not everyone hospitalized in critical condition or found dead at home was able to be tested for the virus. Postmortem tests were often not conducted in order to conserve test resources.
City officials said that the newly announced deaths were ruled probable based on the known symptoms and health histories of the patients who died.
Roughly 60 percent of the probable deaths occurred in hospitals, versus 90 percent for confirmed cases, according to city data.
Eighteen percent of the probable deaths occurred in nursing homes, and 22 percent occurred in private residences, officials said. [/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 15 Apr 2020, 17:45

[size=34]Dr Fauci REFUSES to name a state that can reopen before May 1 like Trump has proposed - hours after skipping press conference and calling President's Q&A sessions 'draining'[/size]

• Dr Anthony Fauci's refused on Tuesday night to name a single state that he believes could reopen before May 1

• It came after President Trump flouted that some could reopen even before his federal guidelines expire at the end of the month 

• His comment's came after he was absent from the White House coronavirus press briefing on Tuesday after calling Trump's lengthy Q&A sessions 'draining'

• Fauci stopped short of saying whether he believed the worst of the pandemic was over after the death toll rose to nearly 26,000 and infections to 615,000 

By EMILY CRANE FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 08:52 EDT, 15 April 2020 | UPDATED: 12:36 EDT, 15 April 2020

Dr Anthony Fauci has stopped short of naming a single state that he believes can reopen before May 1 like President Donald Trump has suggested.
His refusal to name a state came just hours after he was absent from the White House coronavirus press briefing on Tuesday after calling Trump's lengthy Q&A sessions 'draining'. 
In an NBC interview on Tuesday night, Dr Fauci - the top infectious disease expert in the US - was asked what states, if any, could reopen after Trump floated that some could reopen even before his federal guidelines expire.      
'I'm certain... that he's talking about some of the states that have low levels, low density of population and a lot of geographic land,' Fauci said without naming possible locations. 
'I haven't gone state by state through them. There is going to be a great deal of variability there. It's not going to be one size fits all.'
Hours earlier, Trump had said at a White House press conference that some states could reopen before May 1 - which is the date his '30 Days to Slow the Spread' of the coronavirus ends.
'The day must be close because certain states as you know are in much different condition. It's going to be very, very close. Maybe even before the date of May 1st,' he said. 
It followed a day of constitutional arguing between Trump and governors including New York's Andrew Cuomo after the President claimed he had 'total authority' to force states to reopen and accused dissenters of 'mutiny'. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222624-8221467-Dr_Anthony_Fauci_in_an_interview_with_NBC_on_Tuesday_stopped_sho-m-2_1586955039685

+9

Dr Anthony Fauci, in an interview with NBC on Tuesday, stopped short of naming a single state that he believes can reopen before May 1 like President Donald Trump has suggested

Trump abandons fantasy that he has 'total' authority and says governors will decide on when to reopen economy 

President Donald Trump on Tuesday abandoned his push for 'total' authority to reopen the country and said he would leave the decision in the hands of the individual governors of each state. 
Facing angry governors and a violation of the U.S. Constitution, the president tried to spin his decision as one of graciousness, saying he would be 'authorizing' the governors to make their own decisions.
'I will be speaking to all 50 governors very shortly. And I will then be authorizing each individual governor of each individual state to implement a reopening, very powerful reopening plan of their estate in a time in a manner which is most appropriate,' Trump said at his daily White House press briefing.
He backed down from his threat to withhold aid from states who wouldn't fall in line and attempted to paint his relationship with the governors as strong and respectful. 
'The governors will be very, very respectful of the presidency,' he noted. 'This isn't me. This is the presidency. The presidency has such a great importance in terms of what we are doing. You can talk about constitution. You can talk about federalism. You can talk about whatever you want. But the best way, I am talking now from a managerial standpoint, to let individual governors run individual states and come to us if they have difficulty and we will help them.'
He went on to praise the governors for their work after accusing them of mutiny when many of them - led by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo - said they would decide what was best for their state, not the president. 

But Trump on Tuesday abandoned his push for 'total' authority to reopen the country and said he would leave the decision in the hands of the individual governors of each state.
He said: 'We don't want to put pressure on anybody. I'm not going to put any pressure on any governor to open.'
Dr Fauci went on to say that before states reopen, it was imperative that each area was equipped to be able to quickly identify, isolate and treat any new cases to avoid another surge. 
'Minimum thing is you have got to be able to identify, isolate, get out of circulation and do adequate and appropriate contract tracing as new cases arrive,' he said. 
'The real proof of success if how quickly you identify them... and you do contact tracing so you don't have the beginning of a peak.'
Dr Fauci stopped short of saying whether he believed the worst of the pandemic was over after the US death toll rose to nearly 26,,000 and infections increased to 615,000. 
He said looking at epicenter New York, there was no doubt there was a flattening out occurring there. 
Earlier on Tuesday, Dr Fauci echoed his comments saying that a May 1 target date for reopening the economy was 'a bit overly optimistic' due to a lack of critical testing and tracing procedures. 
It comes after Dr Fauci, who has become a trusted national figure during the coronavirus outbreak, told the Associated Press that the length of Trump's daily White House briefings was 'really draining.' 
'If I had been able to just make a few comments and then go to work, that would have really been much better,' he said. 
'It isn't the idea of being there and answering questions, which I really think is important for the American public. It's the amount of time.' 
He was noticeably absent from Tuesday night's briefing during which Trump appeared to back off his previous claim of absolute authority to decide when the time was right to act to reopen states. 
[size=10][size=18]Dr Fauci speaks on 'draining' White House coronavirus briefings

L
[/size][/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222622-8221467-image-a-3_1586955053477

+9

Dr Fauci, who has become a trusted national figure during the coronavirus outbreak, told the Associated Press that the length of Trump's daily White House briefings was 'really draining'
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27181958-8219511-image-a-31_1586908993122

+9

States vs Trump: Led by California's Gavin Newsom and New York's Andrew Cuomo, the governors of 10 states, including a Republican, revealed on Tuesday two pact to work together to co-ordinate the reopenings of their respective states. They acted after Trump claimed he had 'total' authority to reopen the country
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222590-8221467-image-a-4_1586955073147

+9

Dr Fauci - the top infectious disease expert in the US - was asked what states, if any, could reopen after Trump flouted that some could reopen even before his federal guidelines expire

Leaked document reveals May 1 is when CDC and FEMA want to reopen the US starting with schools, summer camps and churches 

A leaked strategy devised by government officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has revealed the government is lobbying to re-open parts of the US by May 1, beginning with schools and churches.
The strategy, first obtained by the Washington Post, offers guidance to state and local governments as for how best to ease mitigation efforts and phase out restrictions, such as strict stay-at-home orders, to ensure safe re-openings.
The coalition task force has been working on the plan for the past week. Its contents have since been discussed by the White House's coronavirus task force as the Trump administration presses forward with its plans to get Americans out of their homes and back to work as soon as possible. 
Appearing to be an early draft, the document contains scant instructions for gradual re-openings of institutions such as churches, schools, child-care facilities, summer camps, national parks and restaurants.
According to the Post, two anonymous administration officials said the president wants the plan finalized in the coming days in a bid to re-open 'low-risk' states by May 1.

Hours after suggesting that the bipartisan concerns of governors about his assertion of power would amount to an insurrection, Trump abruptly reversed course Tuesday, saying he would leave it to governors to determine the right time and manner to revive activity in their states. He said he would be speaking with governors, probably on Thursday, to discuss his plans.
'The governors are responsible,' Trump said. 'They have to take charge.' 
Still, he insisted: 'The governors will be very, very respectful of the presidency.' 
Democratic and Republican governors had sounded the alarm after Trump asserted Monday that he and he alone would determine when and how to reopen the economy, despite clear constitutional limitations on federal powers.
Trump said Tuesday he would be authorizing governors 'of each individual state to implement a reopening - and a very powerful reopening - plan of their state at a time and in a matter as most appropriate.' 
Trump added that he would support moves by states that haven't been hit hard by the outbreak to ease restrictions even before federal guidelines on social distancing expire April 30. 
Trump said the country would open up 'in beautiful little pieces,' adding that some states with low rates of infection 'have fewer people and they have lots of room.'
It's unclear if any states are actively considering reopening their economies before May 1.
In a departure from recent tradition, Trump ended his daily briefing without turning the mic over to federal health experts who have cautioned against moving too quickly to restart economic activity. 
[size=18]'I like Fauci, I'm not going to fire him' says Trump

Lo
[/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222608-8221467-image-a-5_1586955094903

+9

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222604-8221467-image-a-6_1586955099193

+9

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27222602-8221467-image-a-1_1586960958440

+9

The Associated Press Privacy Policy

[size=18]Governor Cuomo refutes Trump's claim of 'total authority'

L
[/size]

[size=34]Donald Trump abandons fantasy that he has 'total' authority and says individual governors will decide on when to reopen economy - claiming some will get going BEFORE May 1 after Andrew Cuomo schooled him on the constitution [/size]

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27197906-8221467-Many_governors_including_Andrew_Cuomo_of_New_York_disagreed_with-a-1_1586962890788

+9

Many governors - including Andrew Cuomo of New York - disagreed with the president's pronouncement of executive power
'The governors are responsible, they have to take charge and do a great job,' he said, a remarkable change from his angry tone on Monday, when Trump proclaimed he alone has the authority to reopen the economy, which is suffering in the wake of the coronavirus.
'When somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total,' Trump said on Monday.
On Tuesday, after an outpouring of criticism and waving of the constitution, Trump said: 'The governors are going to be running their individual states.' 
Constitutional scholars and governors disagreed with the president's assessment on Monday that the power rested with him to reopen the country. All pointed to the 10th amendment of the Constitution, which gives states precedent over the federal government. 
Trump said some states could even reopen before May 1 - which is the date his '30 Days to Slow the Spread' of the coronavirus ends. 
'We have one country but we have lots of different pieces. It's a puzzle. We have beautiful pieces, beautiful states with capable governors. They know when it's time to open. We don't want to put pressure on anybody. I'm not going to put any pressure on any governor to open,' Trump said. 
Tuesday's announcement was a surrender for the president, who also threatened to withhold coronavirus aid from states if the governors didn't heed his call to reopen the country.
And he charged the governors as guilty of mutiny. 
The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27182182-8221467-image-a-2_1586962901085

+9

Massachusetts' Republican governor joins Cuomo's 'Covid Corridor Council' after Trump called it a 'band of Democrats' 

The Serious Side - part 8 - Page 4 27179540-8221467-Massachusetts_Governor_Charlie_Baker-a-49_1586965392638
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker

Massachusetts Republican Gov. Charlie Baker has joined a council of northeast Democrats who are coordinating on when to end stay-home orders to begin to reopen their economies – undercutting a claim by President Trump that it is a partisan effort.
The move comes as governors join to form regional pacts to game out when best to begin the process of sending people back to work and lifting orders that have sequestered millions of Americans in their homes.
President Trump wrote off the effort Monday in a press conference where he declared 'total' authority to determine when to reopen the country. He also dismissed the regional blocks as a partisan effort.
'You have a couple of bands of Democrat governors but they will agree to it,' Trump predicted. 

With Baker's decision to join, the northeast bloc also has a prominent moderate Republican. On Tuesday Maryland and Vermont, which both have Republican governors, had not joined.
Baker announced the move in a statement released by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office. Cuomo, whose state leads the globe in coronavirus cases and is also the engine of the Northeast economy, is leading the effort. 
'The Baker-Polito Administration looks forward to participating in discussions with neighboring states and experts regarding the ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic,' Baker said. Massachusetts also remains focused on efforts to expand testing, ensure hospital capacity and provide the necessary PPE to those on the front lines to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our communities,' he said regarding protective hospital gear, the Boston Globe reported.
Democratic-led states from Connecticut, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island are participating.
 On the West Coast, governors Gavin Newsom of California, Jay Inslee of Washington and Kate Brown of Oregon unveiled their own scheme just after the north-east version.
The nine states combined account for more than 100 million people, almost a third of its population.     

Cuomo led the charge in blasting Trump for his pronouncement of authority - calling him 'schizophrenic' - and said he would take him to court over the matter as a constitutional crisis began to brew. 
The governor claimed he didn't want to fight with the president - despite Trump 'spoiling' for one. Cuomo went on to make the point he didn't need to fight because the constitution was on the side of the states and not the federal government.
'Sometimes it takes more strength frankly to walk away from a fight than engage. The president will have no fight with me. I will not engage,' he said.
The governor also spent several minutes lecturing on how the constitution favors states, essentially arguing with Trump's point via a talk on early American history.
'This is basic federalism, the role of states and the role of the federal government. It is important to get this right. The founding fathers understood and I remembered today that the balance between the state and the federal, the magnificent balance articulated in the constitution is the essence of our democracy. We don't have a king in this country. We didn't want a king, so we have a constitution and we elect the president. The states, the colonies formed the federal government. The federal government did not form the states,' he said.
He went on to quote Alexander Hamilton, the first treasury secretary who was one of the framers of the Constitution. Hamilton's Federalist Papers have been used by courts to determine the intentions of the founding fathers.  
'Hamilton, who in many ways was representative of this discussion of the balance of power, state governments possess inherent advantages, and will forever preclude the possibility of federal encroachment on the states. The federal head is repugnant to every rule of political calculations. Strong language but that was a premise,' Cuomo said.   
Cuomo added he was willing to talk to Trump at any time. 
'I've always had an open line of communication with him. At different times in the past, when he hasn't been happy with me and I haven't been throwing bouquets to him, we've always communicated. I'm sure we will communicate now,' he said.  

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by heartlove Wed 15 Apr 2020, 17:51

LizzyNY wrote:IMO the problem with our health care system is that it's an "industry". It's a collection of companies run for profit, so all decisions about the care they'll approve are made through the lens of making money for the company.

We have various forms of government backed insurance because too many people can't afford private insurance and because many insurance companies won't cover people who they think might cost them money. Unfortunately, some government sponsored programs don't pay their employees as much as the private sector so they might not get the caliber of personnel the private sector gets. Still, I believe that , for the most part, these people do the best they can for their patients.

For many reasons health care is very expensive in this country. The whole system has to be revamped from the bottom up to make it accessible and affordable for all citizens. It will require a bipartisan governmental effort made in good faith with the people of this country. Right now I don't see this happening, but it might if enough constituents suffer from the corona virus and blame their government representatives for the health care system's failure.

As long as we have Corporate interest funding the campaigns of elected officials, we will have a government bent toward corporate interest.

When the question is posed to law makers about laws they've made and they don't want to be a participant under that law, we have a major problem.

The corporate owned media is the source the feeds the electorate.  Unless you take the time to conduct research independent of the media, you will have a skewed understanding of actions and intent law makers impose.

I live in a Democratic government ran state, I went to elected officials on every level, all democrat and they did nothing about the diabolical quality of care imposed by health care providers "contracted" with the state under Obamacare.  I thank God everyday for the health care providers that are not contracted under Obamacare and the outstanding care they provide to all who walk through their doors.

I still have hope the unthinkable care impose under Obamacare will be exposed on a large scale and major changes to our health care system will be made.

By the way:  earth to poseidon-Biden we don't need a change to Medicare, we need to get rid of Obamacare.

heartlove
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 15 Apr 2020, 19:20

What would you suggest should take the place of ACA?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum