George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game?

+3
melbert
fava
Katiedot
7 posters

Go down

What do you think about this article? (you can pick more than one option)

Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_lcap8%Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_lcap4%Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_lcap8%Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_lcap13%Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_lcap13%Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_lcap25%Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 6 ]
Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_lcap21%Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 24
Back

Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Empty Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game?

Post by Katiedot Thu 13 Oct 2011, 06:59

Thanks Henway for the link:

From LA Times

Is Brad Pitt beating George Clooney at his own game?

October 12, 2011

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Let's play a Hollywood parlor game. Imagine you were an actor and had all the clout in the world. You could get any movie made, at any (reasonable) budget, with pretty much any director you chose. Let's say you had this power for four years. What would you do? Make a blockbuster? Option your dream book? Work with that brilliant but enigmatic auteur?

Brad Pitt and George Clooney live that parlor game because they're, well, Brad Pitt and George Clooney.

They also each have two movies out this year, both awards contenders, and have generally been throwing their weight around to get all sorts of difficult movies made in the last few years. Never has it been harder to get passion projects through the narrow studio pipeline. And perhaps not for a long time have two leading men had the influence and the desire to make the push.

That they're both playing the game is what they have in common. What they don't have in common is who's winning it: Pitt, by a surprisingly wide margin.

Taking their last half-dozen movies (We won’t include the voice work, and we won’t include Clooney’s “The Descendants,” which has been seen on the festival circuit but hasn’t yet been released), Pitt beats Clooney in almost every category.

That's true by box-office standards (Pitt has outgrossed Clooney $393 million to $251 million, even with specialized projects such as "The Tree of Life" and "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" tossed in there).

That's true from a critical one (average Rotten Tomatoes score over those films is 86% to 69% in favor of Pitt).

And that's true from a general, just-take-a-look-at-what-they've-churned-out standpoint.

Arguably, Pitt's three best movies in that span have been “Moneyball,” "The Tree of Life” and “Inglourious Basterds." One is deeply enjoyable, one is deeply ambitious and one is both.

In that same span, Clooney has had "Up in the Air," which certainly rivals those films. And then..."The Ides of March"? "Leatherheads"? "The American”?

In fact, you could argue that Clooney' second best movie in this period, "Burn After Reading," doesn't even rate in Pitt's top five. And Pitt was better than Clooney in "Burn."

Plus Clooney made "The Men Who Stare at Goats," which should knock off a few points right there.

It was all supposed to go down differently. Earlier in their careers, Pitt was the good-looking one, the shallow one, the mimbo who might stumble into a good role but wouldn't know it if it hit him right across his pretty little head. (Watch the Chad Palomino/Pitt character in the Tom DiCillo cult classic "Living in Oblivion" for a sense of his standing with directors early on.)

Clooney, for all his looks, was the cerebral one, the son of a journalist who transitioned from television with enough serious-mindedness and influence to change the game. He made good on that promise with such movies as "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "Michael Clayton.” But that was a pre-“Leatherheads” Clooney, a time before, perhaps, pet interests got in the way of what's interesting.

It's not too late to turn it around and match your "Ocean's" co-star, George. You still have the clout, and the hair. But you like to go your own way. That’s fine, and good. But every once in a while, it may also not be a bad idea to take a look at what that other A-lister is doing.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Empty Re: Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game?

Post by fava Thu 13 Oct 2011, 13:27

I think it boils down to the projects George chooses. Some may be a little self-indulgent IMO.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game? Empty Re: Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game?

Post by melbert Fri 14 Oct 2011, 03:16

Brad's in it for the money, George is in it for the game!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by davidarochelle Fri 14 Oct 2011, 04:40

I HATE it when people talk about how successful a movie is by how much it makes. FALSE. Success = $made - cost (and if it's an expensive publicity campaign that needs to be subtracted from the $success) Also is Brad Pitt a director on any of his films? G helps direct films he is acting in, even if he is not credited as the director, because that is what he enjoys. He is very smart to start out directing passion projects rather than blockbusters, even if it means "on paper" his films make less. How about comparing the "kudos" and $$ on international commercials between Brad and G? It is more important to G to be famous world-wide so that he can make an impact. Davida-Rochelle
davidarochelle
davidarochelle
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 14 Oct 2011, 04:45

I think in some ways the article got it right. In both terms of box office AND critical reviews, Brad Pitt has been more successful.

I'm not sure if that means Brad has picked better or just been luckier in his projects.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 14 Oct 2011, 13:38

the answer is in the time
I guess

in 10/20 yrs
which films will we remember?
quality one
or big blockbuster?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Fri 14 Oct 2011, 14:53

You know what they say, "you can't compare apples and oranges". How can there be a comparison?
Brad is more of a commercial success than George, without a doubt. He doesn't "invest" himself in his movies to the extent that George does. I don't think he spends as much time in his production company office as George. He doesn't direct or write. Don't think he does too much "hands on" producing either.
George did IOM with a $12M budget and came in under budget and finished ahead of schedule. Brad's latest (which he's producing) has a $100M budget which he's already exceeded and is running way behind schedule.
So, to answer the question "Is Brad Pitt beating George at his own game?' THE ANSWER IS A BIG FAT NO[i]!
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by dakota007 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 15:07

also Brad works in big movies with big names which will work with him or without him...just like Dicaprio..,George is special actor as Al Pacino said he makes deffirent movies than others..and if you pay much attention to what critics says you will know what i mean..they all said that george was the main great thing about IC,TA,TGG..i think i made my point Smile
dakota007
dakota007
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down