George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptyYesterday at 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity

Go down

With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity Empty With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity

Post by Admin Thu 22 Oct 2020, 11:46

A warning to us all . . . 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With The Midnight Sky, George Clooney issues a warning for humanity

By Samantha Highfill 
October 21, 2020 at 11:00 AM EDT

PHILIPPE ANTONELLO/NETFLIX[/size]
Nearly 20 years ago, George Clooney stepped behind the camera for the first time. He can still vividly remember the first scene he directed. “It was in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, and it was Sam Rockwell standing completely naked staring at a television, with a long red beard, long hair, and a cleaning woman vacuuming in front of him,” Clooney, 59, says. Cut to his latest film, The Midnight Sky, which marks the star’s seventh as a director. Sam Rockwell’s nowhere to be found; there’s no cleaning lady. But there is a long beard, this one belonging to Clooney himself.

In The Midnight Sky (on Netflix this December), Clooney plays Augustine, a scientist and the last person in the Arctic after a mysterious global catastrophe. (Think Cast Away but much colder and instead of performing dental work with an ice skate, Augustine is surrounded by top-notch medical equipment.) "I knew I wanted to play the part. It's an interesting thing, there aren't that many actors of the right age that can still get a movie made that could play that part," Clooney says. "Most of the actors that I have worked with are too young by five years or so, and I look older so it sort of felt to me like something that made sense.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Few.com%2Fmovies%2Fgeorge-clooney-midnight-sky%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20201022%26utm_term%3Dundefined&media=https%3A%2F%2Fimagesvc.meredithcorp.io%2Fv3%2Fmm%2Fimage%3Furl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2020%2F10%2F14%2FAwardist-George-Clooney.jpg&description=With The Midnight Sky<%2Fem>%2C George Clooney issues a warning for humanity][/url]

DOMINIQUE CHARRIAU/WIREIMAGE

Based on the 2016 book Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton, the film follows Augustine as he tries to contact five astronauts in space and warn them about returning to an uninhabitable Earth. “I got the script way before the pandemic, but still there were all these other elements,” Clooney says. “There’s the denying of climate change but also the idea of how hateful it’s become, how race and all these other things that are tinderboxes in our country really just require anybody to throw a match in it. That’s why I was drawn to the story, because if you play that kind of hatred out over a 20-year period of time, it’s not inconceivable that we destroy ourselves.”

The atmospherically rich result is a story about survival, as Augustine braves the cold winds of the Arctic in a desperate attempt to reach a communication tower. The movie isn’t exactly filled with dialogue, but its message is hard to miss. As Clooney says, it’s an “unfortunately timely film.” Although when it comes to movies, what are they if not markers of the present moment? “When films do it right, they show you where we are in certain places in time,” Clooney continues. “There’s a lot of dystopian stuff out now. I think that’s a reflection of where our heads are in terms of the world that we actually live in.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down