George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial

4 posters

Go down

60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial Empty 60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial

Post by party animal - not! Sat 12 Oct 2019, 10:22

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial Empty Re: 60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial

Post by annemarie Sat 12 Oct 2019, 11:18

[size=65]Nadia Murad and Amal Clooney want ISIS to face Nuremberg-like trials[/size]

The Nobel laureate speaks to "60 Minutes" again, five years after escaping from ISIS, about how she and human rights attorney Amal Clooney want ISIS to face justice in a courtroom. Sunday at 7:30 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT

• 2019Oct 11

• FACEBOOK

• TWITTER

• REDDIT

• FLIPBOARD

The fragile, frightened woman "60 Minutes" found five years ago after her escape from ISIS found the strength to tell her story and seek justice for her Yazidi people. Nadia Murad received the Nobel Peace Prize last year for her efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war. Now she has joined forces with human rights attorney Amal Clooney in her fight to seek justice against ISIS for their crimes against the Yazidis. She and Clooney will appear in a Scott Pelley report to be broadcast on "60 Minutes" Sunday, October 13, at 7:30 p.m. ET and 7 p.m. PT on CBS.

Murad appeared on the "60 Minutes" 2014 season premiere. She was found by "60 Minutes" associate producer Rachael Morehouse a few weeks before, living among Yazidi refugees who had escaped ISIS. Thousands of Yazidi men were massacred and more than 3,000 women and girls as young as nine were enslaved. Murad agreed then to speak to Pelley with her face covered, hiding her identity out of fear of retribution against her family members she believed were still held by ISIS; Morehouse held her hand during the interview. Nadia spoke about the genocide of her people and the women who were taken and sold into sexual slavery. In a new interview for this Sunday's story, the Nobel Laureate speaks with her face uncovered.

"At the beginning, rape was a big shame for me and for others to speak about," she tells Pelley. "Because it would have remained as a shame on you, on your family and on your people. The biggest incentive that made me talk was those left behind including my mother and sisters. I knew what was happening to those in the captivity of ISIS."

Her path to the Nobel Peace Prize began when she joined an activist group in Germany. It took her to the U.N., where she became a human rights ambassador and then wrote a book. The U.N. recognizes the genocide that happened to the Yazidis, but there are more steps to secure a trial. Clooney agreed to help.

"I saw it as a test of the international system. It was so egregious because it involved ISIS and involved a clear case of genocide. It involved sexual slavery at a scale that we haven't seen in modern times," says Clooney. "I thought if the U.N. can't act in this case then what does the international rule of law even mean?"

"60 Minutes" accompanied Murad back to Sinjar days after she received the Nobel. She brought a replica of the medal next to the mass grave that contained her mother's remains. "I wonder if [my mother] knows that I have talked to the world about her silent death, the killing of her six sons and her two nieces," Murad says. "I often feel that what I have been doing is because of her. I wish that she would know about it she may be happy because the world now knows what ISIS has done."

© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial Empty Re: 60 Minutes: Amal and Nadia Murad want ISIS put on trial

Post by annemarie Sat 12 Oct 2019, 11:20

[size=34]Amal Clooney insists that ISIS killers must face trial for genocide in the same way as the Nazis did after World War II - as she appears on 60 minutes with Nobel Peace Prize-winning refugee Nadia Murad who was held captive by the twisted terrorists[/size]

• British-Lebanese Amal Clooney said in her 60 Minutes about ISIS genocide: 'This was the same dilemma that the world had after the atrocities of Nazi Germany'

• The UN recognizes the genocide that happened to the Yazidis, native to Iraq, Syria and Turkey, but there are more steps to secure a trial

• Nadia Murad received the Nobel Peace Prize last year for her efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war

• Now she has joined forces with human rights attorney Clooney in her fight to seek justice against ISIS, which killed her family, for their crimes against Yazidis

• Murad shared with Donald Trump her harrowing story of escape from the clutches of ISIS after being raped, but he seemed bewildered in the July meeting

• The refugee and Clooney will appear in a Scott Pelley report to be broadcast on Sunday (7:30-8:30 PM ET/7:00-8:00 PMPT) on CBS Television Network

• Interview teaser came after George Clooney said he was appalled Trump partly justified withdrawing troops from Syria because Kurds 'didn't help during WWII'

By LEAH SIMPSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 17:24 EDT, 11 October 2019 | UPDATED: 17:47 EDT, 11 October 2019

Amal Clooney has called on ISIS to see the inside of a courtroom once and for all during an interview with last year's Nobel Peace Prize winner to be aired on 60 Minutes this Sunday.  
 The British-Lebanese human rights lawyer compared the world's reaction to crimes against Yazidis to that of 'after the atrocities of Nazi Germany' as she sat down with Scott Pelley for the report with Nadia Murad - who escaped ISIS after being raped and beaten. 
Fresh from her appearance addressing high-level officials from 20 countries at the 74th Session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York last month, Clooney reiterated why the terrorist group must go on trial.
'This was the same dilemma that the world had after the atrocities of Nazi Germany,' Clooney said. 

Scroll down for videos 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

+5

British-Lebanese Amal Clooney said in her 60 Minutes about ISIS genocide: 'This was the same dilemma that the world had after the atrocities of Nazi Germany'

+5

Similarly to thousands of other Yazidi women, Murad was brutally raped and between by ISIS’ terrorist soldiers before she managed to escape to Germany where she now lives. She became the first woman from Iraq to win the Nobel Peace Prize for her activism in speaking out against abuse and sexual violence
'It's the US under President Truman, under President Roosevelt that said "no we have to have trials because there must be a judicial record of the atrocities committed by the Nazis",' Clooney continued in the CBS network interview.
'Because today you do have people denying that there were gas chambers and what do you have to point to? You can go back and say there are 4,000 documents that were submitted in the Nuremberg trials and the Yazadis deserve nothing less than that.' 
Murad appeared on the 60 Minutes 2014 season Premiere after she was found by Associate Producer Rachael Morehouse a few weeks before, living among Yazidi refugees who had escaped ISIS. 
Thousands of Yazidi men were massacred and more than 3,000 women and girls as young as nine were enslaved. She only agreed to speak to Pelley with her face covered out of fear of retribution against her family members she believed were still held by ISIS but had in fact been killed.
In Sunday's interview Clooney explained: 'You had mass graves that weren't secured and Yazidis knew their relatives were buried and nobody was exhuming them.
'I noticed witnesses were more and more reluctant to speak out as time went by. There's only so much you can do as a small team of lawyers and we said this is the responsibility of the UN. And it's the responsibility of the most powerful body within the UN, which is the Security Council.' 

+5

Clooney on Tuesday addressed a panel discussion at the UN about press freedom around the world
[size=10][size=18]Amal Clooney says leaders with liberal values need to step up

Lo
[/size][/size]

Five years ago, Morehouse held her hand as she spoke about the genocide of her people and the women who were taken and sold into sexual slavery.
She then asked the UN to hold ISIS accountable. 
In the new interview she speaks with her face uncovered.
'At the beginning, rape was a big shame for me and for others to speak about,' she told Pelley. 'Because it would have remained as a shame on you, on your family and on your people. The biggest incentive that made me talk was those left behind including my mother and sisters. I knew what was happening to those in the captivity of ISIS.'
Murad joined an activist group in Germany, it took her to the UN, where she became a Human Rights Ambassador and then wrote a book and now the UN recognizes the genocide that happened to the Yazidis, but Clooney is helping with the steps required to secure a trial.
'I saw it as a test of the international system. It was so egregious because it involved ISIS and involved a clear case of genocide. It involved sexual slavery at a scale that we haven't seen in modern times,' says Clooney. 'I thought if the UN can't act in this case then what does the international rule of law even mean?' 
In the new program, 60 Minutes goes back to Sinjar with Murad days after she received the Nobel and where she put a replica of the medal next to the mass grave that contained her mother's remains. 
'I wonder if [mother] knows that I have talked to the world about her silent death, the killing of her six sons and her two nieces,' Murad says in the program. 'I often feel that what I have been doing is because of her. I wish that she would know about it she may be happy because the world now knows what ISIS has done.' 

+5

Nobel Peace Prize winning human rights activist Nadia Murad shared her harrowing story of escape from the clutches of ISIS with Donald Trump in the White House, but things quickly took an awkward turn when the seemingly confused – or disinterested - president asked her where her family was, despite having just been told twice that they’d been murdered by the Islamic State
[size=18]Yazidi woman from Iraq tells Trump that ISIS killed her family

Lo
[/size]

President Trump was seemingly unaware of her effort to stop the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war, judging by their July meeting in the White House. 
Murad was awkwardly forced to explain to President Trump why she had been internationally recognized as things quickly took an awkward turn when the president asked her where her family was - despite having just been told twice that they'd been murdered by the Islamic State.
During her moving monologue, Murad stood beside a seated Trump urging him to help her Yazidi community return home to Iraq by intervening in the conflict between Iraqi and Kurdish forces fighting over the land left behind in ISIS' collapse.
'Now there's no ISIS, but we cannot go back [home] because the Kurdish government and the Iraqi government, they are fighting each other [over] who will control my area,' Murad told the president. 'They killed my mom, my six brothers.'

Plight of the Yazidi under ISIS

The Yazidis are a religious sect whose beliefs combine elements of several ancient Middle Eastern religions.
The group's beliefs were seen as heretical by the twisted butchers of the Islamic State. 
ISIS overran the Yazidi faith's heartland of Sinjar in northern Iraq in 2014.
Men and older women were massacred, while younger women and girls were forced into sex slavery or 'married' to ISIS fighters. 
Thousands of Yazidi women were raped and tortured by their captors.
The attacks by ISIS on the Yazidis were condemned as genocide by the United Nations. 
As ISIS's grip on Iraq was lost earlier this year, the jihadis decapitated dozens of Yazidi women and dumped the heads in dustbins, according to British SAS troops who entered recaptured territory.

Cutting her off mid-sentence, Trump interjects, asking, 'Where are they now?'
Taken aback by the question, Murad blinks and pauses for a moment, before clarifying, 'They killed them. They are in the mass graves in Sinjar and I'm fighting just to live. Please do something.'
Trump, who has boasted of crushing the self-styled caliphate of the Islamic State group that once stretched across Iraq and Syria, appeared at a loss when Murad asked him to press the Iraqi and Kurdish governments to create safe conditions for the Yazidis to return.
'But ISIS is gone and now it's Kurdish and who?' Trump asked, before later telling her, 'I know the area you're talking about very well.'
Trump told her he was going to look into the Kurdish and Iraqi conflict 'very strongly', before questioning her on her Nobel Prize win.
'So they gave you the Nobel Prize? That's incredible,' He told her. 'They gave it to you for what reason?'
A bemused Murad responds, 'For what reason? After all that has happened to me, I didn't give up. I make it clear to everyone that ISIS raped thousands of Yazidi women.'
The teaser for Murad and Clooney's 60 Minutes appearance came a day after George Clooney said he was appalled that Trump partly justified the decision to withdraw US troops from Syria by stating Kurds 'didn't help us with Normandy' during the Second World War.
The politically active Hollywood actor, director and producer told a business seminar in Finland's capital that he found Mr Trump's words from a day earlier 'a pretty shocking statement'.
Clooney accused Washington of leaving the allies of US forces in Syria to deal alone with Turkey's military offensive.

'I'm horrified at the idea we would say that after having Kurds fight our battle for us — because we don't want to send troops there — and then say, 'OK, you're on your own',' he said.
Clooney was interviewed at the Nordic Business Forum in Helsinki in front of some 7,000-strong audience of mostly business and corporate leaders.
He is known to voice opinions on global political matters and has been engaged in humanitarian causes together with his wife Amal Clooney.

+5

The teaser for Murad and Clooney's 60 Minutes appearance came a day after George Clooney said he was appalled that Trump partly justified the decision to withdraw US troops from Syria by stating Kurds 'didn't help us with Normandy' during the Second World War

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 12 Oct 2019, 19:48

Thanks PAN for posting info on this ‘60 Minutes’ segment. I’ll be sure to watch on Sunday.

I hope Nadia has found some peace and happiness in her life. It’s touching how she feels about her mother. How she hopes wherever her mother is that she knows somehow that Nadia is trying to find justice for her, her brothers and niece.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 14 Oct 2019, 02:38

What an impressive young lady - thank you CBS for finding her:

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 14 Oct 2019, 18:13

She is an amazing young woman. I'm sure her mother knows and is proud of her.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 16 Oct 2019, 00:09

Very good interview with Scott Pelley. Nadia has such inner strength and courage. I hope she and Amal can get some kind of justice for the genocide that was perpetrated on Nadia’s people. Seems it will be Nadia’s mission in life.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Sun 20 Oct 2019, 07:28

But we all are proud of her. I am very proud of this young woman for her courage and determination. I was very happy to see that she won the Nobel Peace prize. I wish her every happiness that she can get in this life.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down