George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter

+4
annemarie
party animal - not!
Donnamarie
carolhathaway
8 posters

Go down

George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter Empty George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter

Post by carolhathaway Thu 23 May 2019, 14:09

I don't think we already have this - it contains some really frightening statemenrs by George and Grant about the motorbike accident:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Hollywood Reporter

TV'Catch-22': George Clooney and Team Reveal How They Cracked the Code on Complex World War Comedy

6:30 AM PDT 5/22/2019 by Bryn Elise Sandberg

FACEBOOK TWITTER EMAIL ME YOUTUBE

Clooney — along with stars Christopher Abbott and Kyle Chandler, writer Luke Davies, producer-director Ellen Kuras and EP Grant Heslov — speak with The Hollywood Reporter about adapting the notoriously difficult novel: "We thought, 'Let's just take a big swing and let's see how bad we can screw it up.' "

Hulu's miniseries Catch-22, all six episodes of which premiered on the streamer May 17, is not Hollywood's first swing at adapting Joseph Heller's satirical and confounding 1961 novel. The late film director Mike Nichols first brought it to the screen in a 1970 feature — but the movie was eclipsed by another wartime black comedy, Robert Altman's M*A*S*H. Nichols knew he had a miss, admitting in one interview that during production he felt like he was pregnant with a dead child. "Such a lovely way of putting it," jokes George Clooney, who didn't let the title's checkered screen history stop him from stepping in as executive producer, director and actor on this TV adaptation — which THR's reviewer called "surprisingly good." Clooney — together with stars Christopher Abbott and Kyle Chandler, writer Luke Davies, producer-director Ellen Kuras, and Grant Heslov, Clooney's longtime producing partner, who also executive produced, directed and had an onscreen role — spoke with THR about how they cracked the code on this complex World War II comedy.

Catch-22 has been a notoriously difficult novel to adapt, so why take another stab at it?

GEORGE CLOONEY We got a call about it and we said no. And then we read Luke and David [Michôd's] scripts and they were absolutely fantastic, and we thought, "Well, now we have to."

LUKE DAVIES It had been 40-plus years since the last attempt, and it felt like we're in a new era where we can tell bigger stories on TV. It felt like a moment to do it.

Did you have any hesitations?

GRANT HESLOV It wasn't so much the past adaptations; it's just that it's a revered book by many, so you just want to do it justice.

CLOONEY The process itself is tricky because you're always going to be held up against a novel that's beloved. So you're always going to be playing defense in a way. We thought, "Let's just take a big swing and let's see how bad we can screw it up."

How'd you cast your main character, Yossarian?

CLOONEY We couldn't find anybody good, so we got Chris.

CHRISTOPHER ABBOTT I'm not expensive. (Laughter.)

HESLOV He was the best available for the price.

CLOONEY Actually, Kyle was not cheap. We didn't tell Chris, but we paid Kyle all the money. And we had to pay ourselves as actors — and I'm not cheap, you know.

Chris, what was it like to walk into a project with such big stars?

CLOONEY Formerly big stars. Two-time Sexiest Man Alive. Two-time.

ABBOTT What was your joke about that? Sexiest man still alive?

CLOONEY Yeah, AARP's sexiest man still alive. Thanks.

ABBOTT Well, George broke the ice [at my audition] by greeting me with a leather helmet on. So that was strange.

CLOONEY I wear it often. [It's from 2008's] Leatherheads. It was a big flop, so we always like to remind ourselves when we've had big flops. I wear the Batman outfit a lot, too.

ABBOTT That was for Kyle's [audition].

HESLOV Chris came in and probably after the second line, George and I looked at each other and we knew he was the guy.

ABBOTT I thought they were talking and not paying attention.

"The process itself is tricky because you're always going to be held up against a novel that's beloved," says Clooney. "So you're always going to be playing defense in a way. We thought, "Let's just take a big swing and let's see how bad we can screw it up."

The novel has been criticized for its treatment of women. How did you remedy that in your script?

DAVIES We wanted to be reverential to this iconic novel, we just felt that we had to expand the world — and that included their relationships with the women. There are not many, but we wanted to give them a greater sort of three-dimensional depth.

ELLEN KURAS They're very well defined, and they actually have a sense of themselves, a presence that you don't find in the book or in the movie.

CLOONEY It helped bringing Ellen on because we wanted to have a point of view not just from a bunch of old guys. And nurse Duckett is played by Tessa Ferrer, who's first of all probably the most moral character in this thing — and she also happens to be my cousin. She was on Grey's Anatomy. She's a wonderful actress, but we do try to keep the family working.

ABBOTT Mafia style.

Why is this book relevant in 2019?

KYLE CHANDLER It's universal — people caught into a reality that is absolutely absurd. I hadn't read it in high school, so when I read it for the first time, I offered it to a friend of mine who's in the military. And he said, "Kyle, it's one of the funniest books I've ever read."

CLOONEY Absurdity is really the key to this whole thing. The minute we think that there's anything normal about old men usually making decisions and young people dying, we have a problem. And it's so important to remember that.

DAVIES And it's not just about the insanity of war, it's also about the insanity of the big bureaucratic structures that enable that insanity to happen.

Austin Hargrave

"You need the six episodes to tell these stories," said Clooney during the discussion moderated byTHR’s Sandberg, third from left.

Any Trump references in the show?

CLOONEY There's enough absurdity in our lives right now that we didn't really need to reference it. I think everybody understands that. It's not just here. You look at what just happened in Brazil, the Philippines, Hungary, Venezuela, go down the list. Authoritarianism, it's crazy. It's always sort of hovering —the feeling of, like, "Wow, we're in strange times."

George, this is being billed as your return to TV. Does it feel that way?

CLOONEY I thought I should have like a tiara or something.

CHANDLER Bring it out!

CLOONEY It's funny, I don't think about it that way. The times have changed. I don't care about the medium, I care about the ability to make things.

HESLOV We consider this a six-hour movie. We always talked about it that way.

READ MORE'Catch-22': TV Review

Chris, you were in nearly every scene and were having to do costume changes in tents …

CLOONEY He didn't wear a lot of costumes.

ABBOTT Yeah, sometimes no changing necessary.

Well, there is quite a bit of male nudity. Were you prepared?

ABBOTT I read the script so I knew that was in there. I was hoping they'd just forget about it by the time we started shooting.

CLOONEY You looked very good naked, though. I want you to know that.

ABBOTT Thank you. That's most important, and that's what I want people at home to take away from this show.

CLOONEY Instead of Emmys ads, for Chris we're going to take out For Your Consideration for Sexiest Man Alive 2020 ads. We'll get it for you, don't worry.

ABBOTT I appreciate it. But the nudity couldn't be more justified.

So you don't feel it was gratuitous?

CLOONEY Oh no, we do have some gratuitous male nudity. Like, the shower scene with all the guys. We didn't have to do that.

KURAS I made sure I was on set that day.

George and Kyle, how'd you two get out of that one?

CLOONEY Well, nobody asks us to be nude anymore. Have you noticed that?

CHANDLER Yeah, they saw me nude and they said, "Nah."

ABBOTT You showed up, too.

CLOONEY Yeah, he had a towel on. He was like, "Is it time?"

George, initially you were going to play the character Kyle ended up playing. What happened?

CLOONEY As I looked at it to exec produce and direct, it was too much. I didn't have the bandwidth. And all kidding aside, I could never have done anything near what Kyle did. You see Kyle doing these beautiful speeches on Friday Night Lights and it's inspirational and it's like The Gipper. He's Jimmy Stewart, you love him. And to have him be this maniac is absolutely a blast.

CHANDLER It's the most fun I've had in a long time. I'd gotten a call saying that George Clooney's going to give me a call, and I thought, "Christ, what have I gotten myself into?" But it was sort of a no-brainer. You don't say no.

HESLOV You wanted to go to Italy.

CHANDLER Well, that too.

You shot in Sardinia and Rome. What's your favorite Italy memory?

HESLOV No one had a better time than Kyle. His family came out. His beautiful wife was with him. It was like a paid vacation.

CHANDLER Listen, it wasn't that easy. It was still work … but we'd finish the evenings and sit out on the Mediterranean and have a martini and a nightly cigar. Listen to Hugh Laurie tell stories. It was beautiful.

HESLOV He had this little motorcycle.

CLOONEY I crashed a motorcycle. That was a really fun time. I've learned that I really, actually, cannot fly. I learned that lesson really well.

CHANDLER Well, you did fly, actually. You did a pretty good job of it. That was a great wreck in my opinion.

CLOONEY It got both Grant and me, after 40 years of riding together, off of motorcycles for good. I had to quit. It was bad. I hit [a car] at 70 miles an hour.

HESLOV I made a deal because literally we were on the side of the road. I was holding him as we were waiting for the ambulance, I said to myself, "If he lives, I'll never ride a motorcycle again."

CLOONEY It split my helmet in half, it knocked me out of my shoes. I was hit hard. I was just waiting for the switch to turn off because I broke his windshield with my head, and I thought, "OK, well, that's my neck." If you get nine lives, I got all of them used up at once — so I can let go of motorcycle riding for a while.

Austin Hargrave

The cast was photographed May 8 at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills.

carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter Empty Re: George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter

Post by Donnamarie Thu 23 May 2019, 19:42

Thanks Carol! I wonder if George has seen the video of the crash. Honestly he shouldn’t have been able to walk away from that accident. He always says he’s been lucky in life. Well that incident proved how lucky he is. Glad to know that he and Grant are also very wise and know not to tempt fate again.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter Empty Re: George and Catch 22 team interview for the Hollywood Reporter

Post by party animal - not! Sat 25 May 2019, 10:57

WWHS, I'm going to put a slightly different point of view - what seems to have happened is that the press desperate for column inches have made a mountain out of a mole hill, from one sentence in a very long article about the Catch 22 launch at a press event at least a month ago.

And that sentence is now looking like an entirely separate announcement. Similarly the 'I nearly died' stories.   Everything he said then is now meat for many, many articles...I suspect he shouldn't have said it, but thinking about it he must have upped his security for all of them months, no years, ago.....

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 25 May 2019, 11:13

I think the point of him saying it got lost, he was talking about what has changed in his life since fame. He can't walk 
in the park with the kids because of the paps and the security risks they face . The point to me was at the end of the day they live their lives and don't hide as best they can. Yes he has a great life but there are things that aren't great about it.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Ross Wed 05 Jun 2019, 23:11

Don't know if anyone may be interested in this:

Doug Ross
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 07 Jun 2019, 20:27

CLOONEY It split my helmet in half, it knocked me out of my shoes. I was hit hard. I was just waiting for the switch to turn off because I broke his windshield with my head, and I thought, "OK, well, that's my neck." If you get nine lives, I got all of them used up at once —

so I can let go of motorcycle riding for a while.

Oh My Days.....I really hope he means 
FOREVER !

I'm pretty sure that all of his family
are nagging him now to hang up 
his bikes and helmets.

love1

If we as merely fans are concerned
then just imagine how they 
must feel.

"Come on George...You know it's 
the right thing to do....XXX"
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 07 Jun 2019, 23:36

No, Jo. I think he and Grant are now being REALLY sensible - and have obviously had chats with their respective wives....

By the way, Catch 22 is on Channel 4 in the UK on June 21st

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 07 Jun 2019, 23:39

That’s good news PAN. Enjoy!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 08 Jun 2019, 03:21

He said he has had 30 years of riding so he can give it up. So he is done with bikes. I guess they will be handed down to Alex when he is old enough to ride.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 17 Jan 2020, 19:39

John Bolt of Liverpool tells his local paper his story of working with George on Catch 22 in Sardinia andthe premiere in LA - see video

From Halewood to Hollywood: Local man turned joking around into an acting job with George Cloone
y
His performance on TV series Catch 22 was described as 'amazing' by Hollywood star Matt Damon

ByEllen KirwinVideo reporter
15:15, 17 JAN 2020
NEWS

This is the life of Josh Bolt, a man from Halewood, who is carving out a career in the acting industry.

It all started when his teacher at Halewood College suggested he attended an open audition at the Playhouse for Much Ado About Nothing, a role he landed on his first try.

Speaking to the ECHO, Josh said: "I was never interested in acting at all, I was always funny and a bit stupid.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Josh Bolt on set of Catch 22 starring George Clooney (Image: Josh Bolt)
"We were just doing drama one day on the curriculum and I started making my classmates and my teacher laugh. So she sent me to an open audition."

From there, Josh was hooked and he quickly made his move from the stage to the silver screen, all at just 13 years old.

One of his first major screen roles was in Nowhere Boy, a film based on John Lennon’s life starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

Aged 17, he was cast in Shameless, followed by Accused, Scott and Bailey and Bendirom.

Josh has also starred in all four seasons of the BBC’s TV series Last Tango in Halifax, which is due to air a fifth season very soon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Josh Bolt with George Clooney (Image: Josh Bolt)
His recent work however, has taken him to Hollywood, to act alongside George Clooney in TV Mini-Series Catch 22.

George Clooney directed the series as well as starring in it himself. He even brought Josh a personalised bike with his characters name on it."

Speaking about what it’s like to work with George Clooney, Josh said: "He was there all the time, so [my first day] was probably the most nerve wracking day I'd ever had.

"But I got there an it was the nicest group of guys I had ever met in my whole life...every single one of them was just amazing...

"But I think that came from Clooney, because when he's giving you a note, there's just no room for macho behaviour.

"Because he's that successful, and done so much with his life, and at a place where he is so content, it was nice to see he is one of the nicest men ever because he has got nothing to prove."

Josh even had a run in with Matt Damon who complimented his work, Josh said: "At the Catch 22 premier in LA, we went to the after party, me and Graham, one of the other guys, were just stood there and we got tapped on the shoudler...

"Turned around, and there's Matt Damon, and he just said 'that was amazing, you guys were great'.

Last edited by Admin on Sat 18 Jan 2020, 19:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 18 Jan 2020, 15:25

Smile How sweet is this story? He seems so starstruck by George and Matt! I hope his connection to Catch 22 leads to bigger things for him, although he seems to be doing pretty well so far.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 18 Jan 2020, 19:17

Always good to hear how great George is on set. I've often wondered what it must be like for actors being directed by him.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 18 Jan 2020, 21:08

I’ve never read anything negative from actors who have been directed by George. His comments over the years about directors he has worked for sound like he has had great experiences while working on films and often says how much he learns from them. Big exception was David O. Russell who George worked under in “Three Kings”. Seems it was a very contentious working environment which George spoke out about. I think George tries to pay it forward when he is in the director's chair.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 18 Jan 2020, 21:28

I think he approaches directing from an actor's perspective. He knows how to get actors to do their best work because he's been there and knows what helped him do his best.

And he also just happens to be a super-nice human being who always wants everyone around him to feel comfortable. I guess that's why everyone who works with him has only nice things to say.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down