George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George celebrating his birthday on location in Italy
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptyToday at 01:05 by annemariew

»  George filming new film in UK
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptyToday at 01:04 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 7

+6
Donnamarie
party animal - not!
ladybugcngc
Way2Old4Dis
carolhathaway
LizzyNY
10 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 7

Post by annemarie Mon 04 Mar 2019, 20:12

[size=34]Only SIX countries in the world have true equal rights for men and women, report finds - with Britain, America and Australia all failing to make the list[/size]

• Only six nations in the world achieved top marks for gender equality in study

• They are Sweden, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Latvia and Denmark

• Report by World Bank looks at eight key areas such as salary, family life and jobs 

• The United Kingdom made it into the top 15, but the US was not even in top 50

By SARA MALM FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 06:04 EST, 4 March 2019 | UPDATED: 09:30 EST, 4 March 2019

Six countries in the world, including Sweden, France and Belgium, have truly equal rights for men and women, according to a global report from the World Bank.
These nations, which also include Denmark, Latvia and Luxembourg, were all found to ensure legal and economic equality in eight key areas such as salary, family life and job market access.
Neither the UK nor the United States achieved a top score, with the latter performing so poorly that it did not even make it into the top 50.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10551424-6768565-image-a-99_1551697260091

+2

The top six nations - Sweden, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Latvia and Denmark - all ensure legal and economic equality in eight key areas such as salary, family life and job market access
The World Bank's Women, Business and the Law report grades countries by how effectively they guarantee legal and economic equality between men and women, with a top score of 100.

Questions posed by the bank include: 'Can a woman travel outside her home in the same way as a man?,' 'Are women able to work in the same industries as men?', 'Does the law mandate nondiscrimination in employment based on gender?' and 'Is there paid paternity leave?'

The UK was fairly close to a perfect score with 97.5 - placing it in the top 15 around the world - while Germany measured at 91.88, and Australia scored 96.88.
The US however, only scored 83.75, putting it below countries such as Malawi, Ecuador and Zimbabwe.
Firmly in the bottom is Saudi Arabia, with a score of just 25.63, meaning women only enjoy a quarter of the same rights as men.    
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10551420-6768565-image-a-100_1551697262712

+2

No perfect score: The United Kingdom scored 97.5 out of 100 in the World Bank's gender equality report, and only made the top 15 among global economies
'Gender equality is a critical component of economic growth,' World Bank Group Interim President Kristalina Georgieva writes in the report.
'Women are half of the world’s population and we have our role to play in creating a more prosperous world. But we won’t succeed in playing it if the laws are holding us back.
'Economies that failed to implement reforms towards gender equality over the past ten years, for example, saw a smaller increase in the percentage of women working overall and in the percentage of women working relative to men. ' 
The global average of 74.71 is an increase of more than four and a half points compared to a decade ago, however it still means women have only three quarters of the legal rights of men across the globe.
In the Middle East and North Africa, the average score is 47.37, meaning the typical economy in that region gives women less than half the legal rights of men in the areas studied by the World Bank. 
The country which was found to have made the biggest improvement in the past decade was the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which had a score of 42.50 ten years ago and improved by 27.50 points to a score of 70.
This improvement was based, in part, on reforms allowing married women to register businesses, open bank accounts, and choose where to live in the same way as men. The legal requirement that wives obey their husbands has also been removed in the pas ten years.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 04 Mar 2019, 21:08

Are you surprised by this? I'm not. Give us another ten years and we'll be at the bottom of the list - if we're still here!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 11 Mar 2019, 09:56

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6793103/Trump-advisor-defends-lack-White-House-diversity-comparing-administration-Lincolns.html

[size=34]'How many black people were in the Lincoln West Wing?' Trump campaign advisor offers a bizarre defense of the lack of diversity in the White House[/size]

• Katrina Pierson was interviewed by MSNBC host Al Sharpton on Saturday 

• Sharpton asked her to name people of color serving in Trump's White House 

• Pierson responded by saying: 'There's plenty of black people in the West Wing'

• She added: 'How many black people were in Abraham Lincoln's West Wing? Is Lincoln a racist because he didn't have a black person in his White House?' 

• Sharpton replies: 'It's unthinkable in the 21st century that even a spokesperson for President Trump can't name a black in the West Wing'

By MEGAN SHEETS FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 19:16 EDT, 10 March 2019 | UPDATED: 02:00 EDT, 11 March 2019

A senior advisor for President Donald Trump's 2020 re-election campaign defended lack of diversity in the White House by asking how many African Americans served in President Abraham Lincoln's administration.
Katrina Pierson posed the question during a heated back-and-forth with Al Sharpton on Saturday after the MSNBC host asked her to name people of color serving in top positions under President Trump. 
'Historically, Republicans and Democrats have had major figures of the black community in the West Wing as part of their senior staff and administration,' Sharpton said before posing his question to Pierson and Media Matters for America founder David Brock.
'Who are the blacks in the West Wing under President Trump?'

Pierson, who also ran Trump's 2016 campaign, responded: 'You mean those who took the job or those who were offered? Because those are two entirely different questions.' 
Tensions rose as Sharpton pressed her to answer his question and the pair began talking over each other.
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10815036-6793103-Katrina_Pierson_a_senior_advisor_for_President_Donald_Trump_s_20-m-8_1552257880730

+5

Katrina Pierson, a senior advisor for President Donald Trump's 2020 re-election campaign, defended lack of diversity in the White House by asking how many African Americans served in President Abraham Lincoln's administration in the 1860s during an MSNBC interview Saturday
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10815040-6793103-image-m-9_1552257892226

+5

Pierson - a senior advisor for Trump's 2020 re-election campaign - and MSNBC host Al Sharpton (center) got into a heated row about diversity in the administration as Media Matters for America founder David Brock (right) couldn't get a word in. Pierson struggled to name a black staffer in the West Wing but said it was ridiculous to suggest that the president is racist

Struggling to name a black staffer in the West Wing, Pierson, who is black, claimed that she had been offered Sarah Huckabee Sanders' job of press secretary but turned it down.   
'Everything has to be made about race, reverend... I'm not going to participate if you're going to continue to paint this president as racist,' Pierson said. 
'Let's talk about reparations, can we talk about reparations?'

Pierson, who is black, claimed that she had been offered Sarah Huckabee Sanders' job of press secretary but turned it down
Ignoring her request and sticking to his original topic, Sharpton turned to Brock and asked how Trump could 'ask for black votes' without appointing black people to leadership positions.  
'There's plenty of black people in the West Wing,' Pierson interrupted.
 'Well, I asked you to name them, and you started telling me you turned down - ' Sharpton says before being interrupted again. 
'Because I'm not going to participate in the attempt to make this all about race. It is ridiculous,' she said. 
'How many black people were in Abraham Lincoln's West Wing? Is Abraham Lincoln a racist because he didn't have a black person in his White House? 
'This is insane. This is an insane discussion.'
Sharpton cuts in and says: 'You can't name a black in the West Wing because we can't find one, Katrina. 
'I pity you. I'd sympathize with you, but telling me you applied, and other people? Come on. It's unthinkable in the 21st century that even a spokesperson for President Trump can't name a black in the West Wing.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10815054-6793103-image-a-7_1552257674513

+5

Trump has faced scrutiny from Democrats on issues related to race since he launched his 2016 campaign. The majority of high ranking officials in his administration are white, including Vice President Mike Pence (right) and Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen (left)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10815052-6793103-image-a-6_1552257666023

+5

On Saturday's segment, Sharpton told Pierson: 'It's unthinkable in the 21st century that even a spokesperson for President Trump can't name a black in the West Wing.' The file photo above from 2017 shows then-White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, Vice President Mike Pence, then-Chief Strategist Steve Bannon, then-Press Secretary Sean Spicer and National Security Advisor Lieutenant General Michael Flynn

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 11 Mar 2019, 12:40

Incredible.

I have feeling that the Republican party believe that in the not too distant future the black population will outnumber the white in the US hence their decisions about Mexicans and South Americans, etc etc. Rubbish of course because at the last count it was 14.6% but it suits them for Trump to appeal to 'middle' America........

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 11 Mar 2019, 13:16

PAN - I don't know the percentages, but the racial balance in the US is changing, just as it seems to be in most of the world's developed countries. In the US the biggest rise is in our Hispanic population.

I think Drumpf's supporters are afraid of losing the post-WWII middle class world they grew up in - not realising it's already gone. They see minorities in places they never were before and hear languages they don't understand where they only used to hear English. It's unsettling. Combined with the economic changes we're going through, these people are having a difficult time and they're taking their unhappiness out on everyone else.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 11 Mar 2019, 13:39

Yep. That figure I gave was from the census in 2017 so pretty recent - but I suspect it's all about perception by whoever is perceiving it - and as we know The White House knows nothing of subtlety. You would be really be interested in taking a look at the twitter page of Kyle Griffin, Lizzy - twitter sign up not required

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 11 Mar 2019, 13:45

The press has been driving the narrative there is a racial divide in this country.  There is NOT a racial divide, it's an economic divide.  Corporate business owns the press, they are paid to drive the narrative Corporate business wants you to believe.   The economic divide TRUTH will NEVER be driven by the press.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 11 Mar 2019, 14:09

Ah. So does that mean you don't believe in freedom of the press?  Or the Fifth Estate?

If so, try living in Russia and China where absolutely everything is run by the State and Mr Putin has a financial stake in every single company

And do you include Fox in that statement? All of which is owned by Rupert Murdoch, an Australian, who also owns Fox Searchlight, Sky etc

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 11 Mar 2019, 14:41

Ladybug - Maybe you're reading the wrong papers or watching the wrong channels. I've seen tons of coverage of the wealth divide in all media. Income inequality has become one of the major issues in our political discussion.

What totally confounds me is how, with all the information we have, Drumpf supporters actually think he'll do anything to benefit them financially. He's all about making the rich richer - especially himself - and to hell with everyone else.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 11 Mar 2019, 15:07

Please define what you mean by freedom of the press.

I don't believe U. S. News sources can go off script.  Over 75% of Cable and Network news sources are scripted by the EXACT same source;  that includes FOX.  It also includes sport and entertainment news sources.

I don't believe Cable, Network, and print news sources can go off the script of their Corporate owners.  Even independent news feeds have donors and they are extremely limited in the narrative they spew.

I believe U. S. Oil/Corporate interest are controlling the news narrative in this country.

PAN - I believe 1% is controlling the bulk of GLOBAL wealth.  When it comes to "Freedom of the Press" more attention is paid to the jailing of journalist, as oppose to "findings" generated through their investigative journalism.  

I did not see the "Fifth Estate".  However, I bet the narrative was more about the "treatment" of Julian Assange rather than the "actual information" Assange uncovered.

Bottom line news sources have been trying to drive the narrative of a racial divide.  I understand there are factions in our country that are driven by racial hatred, however those factions are extremely small in comparison to our ability to work together given our race, age, gender, ect.,...
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 11 Mar 2019, 15:30

LizzyNY wrote:Ladybug - Maybe you're reading the wrong papers or watching the wrong channels. I've seen tons of coverage of the wealth divide in all media. Income inequality has become one of the major issues in our political discussion.

What totally confounds me is how, with all the information we have, Drumpf supporters actually think he'll do anything to benefit them financially. He's all about making the rich richer - especially himself - and to hell with everyone else.
"Income inequality" is a tossed around "political topic".  It talks about the disparity, it does not tag U. S. Oil/Corporate control as the problem.

It's like Health Care, the republican ran on repealing the awful Affordable Care Act, they did not.  And republican's will NEVER repeal the affordable care act, it is a bonanza for Corporate Business.  

No politician talks about how Corporate Business is controlling our economy. 

Razz  Corporate Business are funding their campaigns.

And if a politician does talk about it, they will NEVER be the lead story on any news source.

Let's have a news round table with potential candidates about donors funding their political campaigns.  And let's tally politicians who have no corporate donors, and their success.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 11 Mar 2019, 15:47

I was not referring to the film - I've not seen it either. I was referring to the definition.

And, yes, of course you will get many headlines about an unjustly imprisoned journalist because he reported on corruption in a corrupt state - because if he's imprisoned he can't report on it!!

I know a little bit about all of this, because I used to be part of that world, so I have my own stories about this sort of thing and the likes of Murdoch.

In the UK the political system is very different and does not rely on donors with massive amounts of money and of dubious background eg the NRA and here's an idea - why doesn't everybody pay a little bit of their salary - taken away at source - into a great big fund to subsidise something like the National Health Service and then give contracts for drugs supply to the service to the lowest bidder?! That way you have a fairer system.

On and do go and see 'Vice' - it will tell you everything about Mr Cheney and his oil investments in Iraq!

Oh and by the way I have seen many a politician talking about corporate business funding campaigns.......a certain Mr Clooney would love that system to change......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 11 Mar 2019, 16:05

Ladybug - Corporate money in politics is the reason there's a movement in Congress to end "Citizens United" and reform campaign financing. Corporate overreach in many segments of our economy is the reason why Elisabeth Warren wants to use anti-trust legislation to break up the tech giants and level the playing field for small businesses.

The press and the media do cover these issues. They probably don't talk about them more because most people aren't interested until it affects them personally.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Mon 11 Mar 2019, 16:31

Lizzy - I find your comment interesting.  Tech giants, Google, Facebook's, wealth work independent of US Oil/Corporate business interest.  Amazon - has it's hand in print news however is not vested to drive the economy like US Oil/Corporate business.  

That's probably why Warren's narrative is in the circle of the press.  It would be in the best interest of U. S. Oil/Corporate interest (who drives the press narrative) to place restrictions on Tech giants.  Even though Warren will NEVER win, the narrative of breaking of Tech giants can lead to congressional legislation to break down and/or limit the power social media can and/or may drive through Tech giants.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 11 Mar 2019, 17:03

[size=34]Trump tells RNC donors that the Democrats HATE Jewish people and makes 'blackface' jokes about balaclava-clad Secret Service agents during free-styling speech at Mar-a-Lago[/size]

• Trump went on a 'bizarre tangent' about the blackface and anti-Semitism rows

• President Trump told some party donors that the 'Democrats hate Jewish people'

• He joked about Secret Service agents looked like they were wearing 'blackface'  

• Trump reportedly said, 'they have to take them [agents] away' due to their masks

By CHRIS DYER FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 07:27 EDT, 11 March 2019 | UPDATED: 07:35 EDT, 11 March 2019

President Trump made 'blackface' jokes about balaclava-clad Secret Service agents and said Democrats hate Jewish people during a bizarre speech to party donors.
Trump had invited RNC donors to his Mar-a-Lago retreat in Florida on Friday night when he went on a ramble about the anti-Semitism row and Secret Service agent's masks looking like they were in 'blackface'.
So paranoid about leaks from the meeting getting out to the press, guests were made to put their phones in magnetized pouches so they could not have contact with the outside world, reports Axios.  
The president then went off on what one guest called a 'bizarre tangent' after saying he did not understand how any Jewish person could vote Democrat after the recent Rep. Ilhan Omar controversy.

He joked how as Secret Service agents swarming across the White House lawn when he was he was in the building on his own at Christmas were in 'blackface'. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10830338-6794571-image-a-58_1552303577558

+6

President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump, and their son Barron, arriving on the South Lawn of the White House after spending the weekend at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10830348-6794571-image-a-59_1552303582280

+6

A snow covered member of the Secret Service wearing a mask, keeping watch in front of the White House in Washington last month

According to Axios, a guest described him saying: 'They're in the trees, on the lawn, they have to take them away', as the agents were wearing night vision goggles covering their faces.
It is thought this was a reference to Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, who was caught in a racist costume in his 1984 medical school yearbook.
A page surfaced last month with a picture of one person in blackface and another in a Ku Klux Klan hood and robe. 
Northam immediately apologized for appearing in the photograph but refused to resign.   
Before making the blackface joke, Trump waded into the row over Ilhan Omar's controversial comments about Israel lobby groups.
At a public event in Washington earlier this month, Omar said she wanted to discuss 'the political influence in this country that says it is okay to push for allegiance to a foreign country'. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10830342-6794571-image-a-60_1552303586133

+6

Ilhan Omar has been criticized for her controversial comments over powerful pro-Israel lobby groups and their influence in Washington
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10832670-6794571-image-a-61_1552303901570

+6

Trump making a fist as he and Melania disembark from Air Force One, after a weekend at his Mar-a-Lago estate
In the past she has claimed that Israel's relationship with the US was 'all about the Benjamins', which drew criticism from both Republicans and Democrats. 
Trump told donors, 'the Democrats hate Jewish people', before describing how much he had done for Israel, according to a guest.
He caused outraged and stoked international criticism by recognizing Jerusalem, rather than Tel Aviv, as Israel's capital in December 2017.

The announcement was met by mass protests across Gaza with dozens of protesters killed.
Last week the US officially announced plans to shut down its consulate in Jerusalem, which had been a de-facto embassy to the Palestinians, and downgraded the status of its main diplomatic mission by folding it into the embassy to Israel.
According to Axios, three guests heard Trump brag he would receive 98 per cent polling if he ran for prime minister of Israel.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10791364-6791083-image-a-15_1552184239783

+6

Pictured left-to-right: Don Jr., Kimberly Guilfoyle, Sergio Gor, Tommy Hicks, President Trump and Charlie Kirk
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10673092-6779787-He_segued_into_the_topic_after_he_went_around_the_room_and_allow-a-1_1551918830901

+6

President Trump allegedly told Republican donors that reports of him accidentally calling Apple CEO Tim Cook (left) by the name 'Tim Apple' during a White House roundtable last week were 'fake news' - even though it was caught on video

He was also said to have called Democrat presidential candidate Joe Biden 'the dummy' and Bernie Sanders 'the nutty professor', as opposed to the usual nickname he gives him of 'Crazy Bernie'.
Trump also described how he 'took her out really early', when referring to Elizabeth Warren's low polling numbers. 
During the same visit to Mar-a-Lago, Trump also allegedly told donors reports of him accidentally calling Apple CEO Tim Cook 'Tim Apple' during a White House roundtable were 'fake news' - despite it being caught on video. 
While staying at the Florida retreat with his family, Trump also celebrated former Fox News host, Kimberly Guilfoyle's 50 birthday with his sons at the exclusive Palm Beach club.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 11 Mar 2019, 19:54

More breathtaking rubbish and insults from Dump.

Hope you can have a giggle at this:

https://twitter.com/ed_son/status/1104134408339103744

and here's Betsy Devos's brother at the Oxford Union

https://twitter.com/AJHeadtoHead/status/1104115823084519426

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 11 Mar 2019, 20:14

I bet Melania wishes she had a double.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 11 Mar 2019, 23:00

Drumpf's people lie as easily as they breathe. "They got the transcript wrong"?! Gimme a break!

The View had a field day with that Melania "double" story.this morning. It really doesn't look like her, IMO, and the woman in the picture does seem a lot shorter than usual.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 11 Mar 2019, 23:29

I sure as hell hope Prince is held accountable for lying to Congress.  Because he sure as hell did.  What a smug SOB!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 12 Mar 2019, 00:34

........couldn't agree more, and he doesn't seem to care, but he didn't seem to realise that the audience were laughing AT him.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 12 Mar 2019, 19:51

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6799945/Lori-Loughlin-Felicity-Huffman-implicated-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-scandal.html

[size=34]Actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman are among 50 people charged in massive college entrance exam cheating scandal in which parents paid up to $6M in bribes to get their kids into elite schools like Yale, Georgetown and Stanford[/size]

• Lori Loughlin and husband allegedly 'agreed to pay bribes of $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to USC crew'

• The two girls did not participate in crew, and Loughlin's husband Mossimo Giannulli has also been charged in the scandal and was arrested on Tuesday

• Felicity Huffman paid a $15,000 'charitable contribution' 'to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter' 

• She knowingly had an individual who was known to assist students or change their answers proctor her eldest daughter's SAT exam according to documents 

• She is charged with Conspiracy to Commit Mail Fraud  as are Loughlin and her husband in the scandal, which has been called Operation Varsity Blues

• Huffman has also been arrested while a warrant is out for Loughlin's arrest 

• William Rick Singer, the founder of Key Worldwide Foundation, had been identified as the mastermind, and since 2011 has been paid $25M by parents 

By CHRIS SPARGO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 10:55 EDT, 12 March 2019 | UPDATED: 15:23 EDT, 12 March 2019

Two Hollywood stars have been implicated in a massive cheating scandal.
Full House star Lori Loughlin and Oscar nominee Felicity Huffman are two of the 50 parents and coaches charged in a plot to get their children into schools including Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest, and Yale.
The scheme was uncovered by the FBI and federal prosecutors in Boston, and involved parents paying bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into these elite schools. 
In many instances, the children were unaware that their parents had paid these bribes, according to federal documents.

Most of those charged either paid to get higher SAT scores or faked an athletic resume that, with the participation of a bribed college coach, helped the children get accepted to a college as a team's recruit. 
Huffman has two daughters with husband William H. Macy including Sofia, who is 18, and 16-year old Georgia. 
Loughlin and her designer husband Mossimo Giannulli also have two daughters: Olivia, 19, and Isabella, 20. 
Macy was not charged but Giannulli was named alongside his wife in the papers. 
Huffman, Loughlin and Giannulli are all charged with Conspiracy to Commit Mail Fraud.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10885192-6799945-image-m-17_1552403376998

+9

Big house: Full House star Lori Loughlin and Oscar nominee Felicity Huffman are two of the 50 parents charged in a plot to get their children into elite schools (Loughlin with daughters Olivia and Bella in February)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10885186-6799945-Desperate_housewife_Huffman_paid_a_15_000_charitable_contributio-m-24_1552405071266

+9

Desperate housewife: Huffman allegedly paid a $15,000 'charitable contribution' 'to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter' (Huffman and Macy with their daughters Georgia and Sofia at the Golden Globes)

'Beginning in or about 2011, and continuing through the present, the defendants - principally individuals whose high-school age children were applying to college - conspired with others to use bribery and other forms of fraud to facilitate their children's admission to colleges and universities in the District of Massachusetts and elsewhere, including Yale University, Stanford University, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California, and the University of Southern California - Los Angeles,' stated the 200 page document that was filed on Tuesday.  
'This case is about the widening corruption of elite college admissions through the steady application of wealth, combined with fraud,' US Attorney Andrew Lelling said on Tuesday in a press conference.
'There can be no separate college admission for wealthy, and I will add there will not be a separate criminal justice system either.'
William Rick Singer, the founder of Key Worldwide Foundation, had been identified as the mastermind behind the scandal.
The documents claim that since 2011, Singer has received $25 million from parents which was then used to payoff or bribe individuals who could 'designate their children as recruited athletes, or other favored admissions categories.'

Huffman paid a $15,000 'charitable contribution 'to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter,' states the complaint. 
'Huffman later made arrangements to pursue the scheme a second time, for her younger daughter, before deciding not to do so,' according to the documents.
The charging documents state that Huffman had the site where he daughter took the SATs moved from her own high school to a test center West Hollywood.
Her test was then administered by a proctor who had flown in from Tampa and told investigators that he 'facilitated cheating, either by correcting the student's answers after the test or by actively assisting the student during the exam.'
In this case, Huffman's daughter scored a 1420, which was a 400 point improvement from her PSAT results just one year prior. 
Soon after the proctor was paid $40,000 by Key Worldwide Foundation, the same organization that Huffman would later give a $15,000 donation to, according to the documents. 
The documents also include the transcript of a phone call between Huffman and the individual who facilitated the test in which she admits that her older daughter had assistance and expresses her desire for her younger daughter to get similar help. 
In a follow up call just this past December, Huffman and her unnamed spouse spoke about their daughter wanting to get into Georgetown.
It was then decided that the young girl would take the exam twice, one on her own and once with help, to ensure she got the score necessary to get her into Georgetown, it is claimed.
Then, at the last second, the couple decided not to have their daughter take the test with assistance. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10896716-6799945-William_Rick_Singer-a-48_1552418461264

+9

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10896704-6799945-Stanford_sailing_coach_John_Vandemoer-m-47_1552418454563

+9

Off to court: Mastermind William Rick Singer (left) and Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer (right) head to court on Tuesday
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10888960-6799945-image-m-41_1552418140936

+9

Caught in the act: Huffman and her spouse gave a $15,000 donation to the group that later paid the man who proctored the SAT to her daughter (above)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10889374-6799945-image-a-33_1552407492208

+9

Plan: A recorded phone conversation makes it evident that Huffman is aware that her daughter will be assisted in the test (above)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10888970-6799945-image-m-30_1552407268759

Plan: In one call from last year, Huffman revealed she planned to use the same system for her younger daughter (above) after it worked for her older daughter
Loughlin and Giannulli 'agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team - despite the fact that they did not participate in crew - thereby facilitating their admission to USC,' according to the documents. 
The couple emailed Singer in 2016 about their daughters college prospects, stating that they wanted to do the necessary work to see that the girls got into USC as opposed to ASU.
Emails obtained by investigators revealed that it was soon decided that bribes would be paid to have the girls recruited as crew coxswains. 
A short time after that, photos were taken of older daughter Isabella on an ergometer. 
Dr. Donna Heinel, the senior associate athletic director at USC, presented Isabella as a potential athletic recruit a month later and she was approved for conditional admission.
It was then asked that a check be sent to Heinle for $50,000 from Giannulli, who a short time later asked if he could mention the story to the athletic director at USC when the two men were at Augusta, likely playing at the famed golf club.
Singer stated that this was not a good idea because when he discussed the possibility of Isabella's admission with him a year he though the family 'would be good for a million plus.'  
Isabella received her admission letter the following march, which was followed by another note requesting a donation of $200,000 to Key Worldwide Foundation. 
After the amount was wired to the organization a note was returned that stated no good or services had bee exchanged for the money, which according to the documents is false.
This same exact process was then repeated with the young daughter, Olivia.
Problems arose however when Olivia's guidance counselor became curious as to how she managed to receive admission based on her involvement in crew since she did not row. 
At the same time, Loughlin complained that her daughter was having difficulty filling out her other college applications, prompting Singer to ask an employee to take care of that task. 
This was done so as not to draw attention to the fact that it was already confirmed that she had received conditional admission to the school. 
Then, at some point, there was a very heated and public altercation between Giannulli and the counselor, which elicited an email from Dr Heinel asking that this not happen in the future so as to avoid detection.
This all began to fall apart in October 2018 when the IRS audited Key Worldwide and began to look into donations made by parents whose children were then admitted to USC. 
The two were told by Singer to say they had given the money to help 'underserved kids.' 
Ali Khosroshahin, the former women's soccer coach at USC, Laura Janke, the former assistant women's soccer coach, and Jovan Vavic, the school's current water polo coach are also charged in the case alongside Dr. Heinel. 
'We are aware of the ongoing wide-ranging criminal investigation involving universities nationwide, including USC. USC has not been accused of any wrongdoing and will continue to cooperate fully with the government’s investigation,' said USC in a statement on Tuesday. 
'USC is in the process of identifying any funds received by the university in connection with this alleged scheme. Additionally, the university is reviewing its admissions processes broadly to ensure that such actions do not occur going forward.'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10897858-6799945-image-m-50_1552418557673

+9

Aunt becky with the bad heirs: Loughlin and husband Mossimo Giannulli used Singer to get both daughters into USC (couple above in 2012)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895584-6799945-image-a-36_1552416641121

+9

It begins: The couple emailed Singer in 2016 about their daughters college prospects, stating that they wanted to do the necessary work to see that the girls got into USC as opposed to ASU
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10896600-6799945-image-a-38_1552416753772

Keep it going: This same exasct process was then repeated with the young daughter, Olivia
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10896602-6799945-image-a-37_1552416748375

Hard: At the same time, Loughlin complained that her daughter was having difficulty filling out her other college applications, prompting Singer to ask an employee to take care of that task
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895652-6799945-image-a-35_1552416634919

+9

Drama: Then, at some point, there was a very heated and public altercation between Giannulli and the counselor, which elicited an email from Dr Heinel

The 'cheating' referenced in the documents occurred in four forms. 
'Bribing college entrance exam administrators to allow a third party to facilitate cheating on college entrance exams, in some cases by posing as actual students,' is the first.

PARENTS CHARGED IN OPERATION VARSITY BLUES

William Rick Singer, the 'mastermind' 
Rudolph Meredith 
Mark Riddell 
John Vandemoer 
Igor Dvorskiy 
Gordon Ernst 
William Ferguson 
Martin Fox
Donna Heinel 
Laura Janke 
Ali Khosroshahin 
Steven Masera
Jorge Salcedo 
Mikaela Sanford
David Sidoo
Jovan Vavic
Niki Williams 
Gregory and Marcia Abbott 
Gamal Abdelaziz
Diane and Todd Blake
Jane Buckingham 
Gordon Caplan 
Michael Center
I-Hsin "Joey" Chen 
Amy and Gregory Colburn 
Robert Flaxman 
Lori Loughlan and Mossimo Giannulli
Elizabeth and Manuel Henriquez
Douglas Hodge 
Felicity Huffman 
Agustin Huneeus 
Bruce and Davina Isackson
Michelle Janavs
Elisabeth Kimmel 
Marjorie Klapper
Toby MacFarlane 
Bill McGlashan 
Marci Palatella 
Peter Jan Sartorio 
Stephen Semprevivo 
Devin Sloane 
John Wilson 
Houmayoun Zadeg 
Robert Zangrillo  

'Bribing university athletic coaches and administrators to designate applicants as purported athletic recruits - regardless of their athletic abilities, and in some cases, even though they did not play the sport,' is the second.
That is what the documents accuse Loughlin and her husband of doing with their daughters. 
'Having a third party take classes in place of the actual students, with the understanding that the grades earned in those classes would be submitted as part of the students' application,' is the third.
The fourth was 'submitting falsified applications for admission to universities ... that, among other things, included the fraudulently obtained exam scores and class grades, and often listed fake awards and athletic activities.' 
Parties are accused of then 'disguising the nature and source of the bribe payments by funneling the money through the accounts of a purported charity.'
That is what Huffman is accused of doing in the documents filed on Tuesday.  
All with the help of Singer. 
In his biography on the website for the Newport Beach-based Key Foundation, Singer is heralded his ability to get children into the college of their choice. 
Singer is extolled for 'helping students discover their life passion, and guiding them along with their families through the complex college admissions maze,' in his bio. 
'Rick draws on his life experiences of being a father and college athletics coach. He has seen first hand the stress that the college admissions and athletics recruiting process can put on a family,' it reads.
'Over the years, Rick and his team of coaches have helped thousands of students fulfill their life passion in getting into the right college to achieve their dreams. Using The Key method, Key coaches help unlock the full potential of your son or daughter, and set them on a course to excel in life.'
That Key method largely involved donating money which was then used to bribe or payoff individuals per the documents released on Tuesday.  
Singer would take the money donated or given by parents and use it to pay Igor Dvorsiky and Lisa 'Niki' Williams to administer the standardized tests to the children of those charged in the scheme.
Those two in turn would often pay Mark Riddell, a Florida man who would take the test for the students of change their answers according to the documents filed on Tuesday. 
Others who are named in the documents include: Bill McGlashan, the millionaire investor and director at CAA who founded The Rise Fund alongside Bono; Douglas Hodge, the former chief executive officer of Pacific Investment Management Co.; Agustin Huneeus, head of the Huneeus vineyard in Napa Valley; Gordon Caplan, a co-chairman at the law firm Willkie Farr; Bruce Isackson, president of WP Investments; and Manuel Henriquez, chairman and CEO of Hercules Technology Growth Capital.
'We believe everyone charged here today had a role in fostering a culture of corruption and greed that created an uneven playing field for students trying to get into these schools the right way through hard work, good grades and community service,' said said John Bonavolonta, the FBI Special Agent in Charge.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Tue 12 Mar 2019, 20:00

[size=34]Lori Loughlin paid $500,000 to get her YouTube 'star' daughter into USC - who then boasted she was going to college to party, cashed in with sponsored posts and is now being trolled mercilessly online[/size]

• Olivia Jade Giannulli is the daughter of actress Lori Loughlin and designer Mossimo Giannulli

• Teen, who is a YouTube star, has been trolled after her parents were charged in a plot to help wealthy Americans cheat their children's way into elite schools

• Olivia started attending classes at the University of Southern California last year

• Her parents allegedly paid $500k to get her into USC as a fake rowing recruit 

• Olivia was slammed on social media as critics questioned her commitment to her education 

• She faced backlash last year for saying she didn't 'really care about school' but wanted to experience 'game days and partying' 

• The teen has also cashed in on being student during her brief time at USC having posted sponsored content for Amazon Prime on her Instagram

By EMILY CRANE FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 14:13 EDT, 12 March 2019 | UPDATED: 15:09 EDT, 12 March 2019

Lori Loughlin's YouTube star daughter is being mercilessly trolled on social media after her mother was among those charged in a plot to help wealthy Americans cheat their children's way into universities. 
Olivia Jade Giannulli, who is the 19-year-old daughter of Loughlin and designer Mossimo Giannulli, started attending classes at the University of Southern Californialast year. 
Her parents were charged on Tuesday for allegedly paying $500,000 to get Olivia into USC as a fake rowing recruit. They also have another daughter 20-year-old Isabella who also attends USC.   
The teen, who goes by Olivia Jade on her YouTube channel, was immediately slammed on her social media accounts by those who accused her of taking away another student's place at the college. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10894452-6800567-image-m-6_1552413568871

Olivia Jade Giannulli, who is the 19-year-old daughter of Loughlin and designer Mossimo Giannulli, started attending classes at at the University of Southern California last year. They are pictured following her high school graduation

Critics also questioned Olivia's commitment to her education after she faced backlash last year for saying she didn't 'really care about school' but wanted to experience 'game days and partying'. 
She posted a video to her YouTube channel on the day she was due to start college last year, saying: 'I don't know how much of school I'm gonna attend.
'But I'm gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying… I don't really care about school, as you guys all know.' 
She was forced to apologize several days later after her viewers slammed her for being 'ignorant' and 'spoiled'. 
The 19-year-old has also cashed in on being student during her brief time at USC. 
She posted sponsored content for Amazon Prime on her Instagram account in September that featured an image of her inside her USC dorm room.
'Officially a college student! It's been a few weeks since I moved into my dorm and I absolutely love it. I got everything I needed from Amazon with @primestudent and had it all shipped to me in just two-days,' the post read. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10893488-6800567-image-a-1_1552413441761

+12

The 19-year-old has also cashed in on being student during her brief time at USC. She posted sponsored content for Amazon Prime on her Instagram account (above) in September that featured an image of her inside her USC dorm room
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10894554-6800567-image-m-8_1552413706360

+12

The teen, who goes by Olivia Jade on her YouTube channel, was immediately slammed on her social media accounts by those who accused her of taking away another student's place at the college
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895000-6800567-image-m-51_1552414239681

+12

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895004-6800567-image-a-52_1552414248211

+12

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895006-6800567-image-m-58_1552414284475

+12

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895002-6800567-image-a-59_1552414287693

+12

Olivia has also posted several videos to her YouTube channel featuring her college life. She typically shares make-up and fashion videos with her two-million subscribers.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10894998-6800567-image-m-62_1552414342492

+12

She came under fire in 2017 for a video on her channel that showed her filming herself while driving just moments before getting into a terrifying car crash.
In a tweet just last month, Olivia noted that she much preferred filming YouTube videos than school.  
'YouTube will always be my #1 passion. I promise I'd way rather be filming 24/7 than sitting in 6 hours of classes straight but an education is also super important to me so thank u for ur patience and letting me figure out time management . Ily bbs.'
Olivia's parents were two of the 50 parents and coaches charged on Tuesday in a plot to get their children into schools including Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest and Yale.
The scheme involved parents paying bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into these elite schools. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10894792-6800567-image-m-18_1552413905916

+12

Olivia (left) and her 20-year-old sister Isabella (right) both attend USC. Their mother Lori is charged with paying $500,000 to get her daughters into college
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10896238-6800567-image-a-75_1552415982032

+12

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10896236-6800567-image-m-74_1552415973166

+12

Critics also questioned Olivia's commitment to her education after she faced backlash last year for saying she didn't 'really care about school' but wanted to experience 'game days and partying'
In many instances, authorities said the children were unaware that their parents had paid these bribes. 
Oscar nominee Felicity Huffman was also charged as part of the scheme.
Most of those charged either paid to get higher SAT scores or faked an athletic resume that, with the participation of a bribed college coach, helped the children get accepted to a college as a team's recruit.  
In the indictment, prosecutors claim Loughlin and her husband 'agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team - despite the fact that they did not participate in crew - thereby facilitating their admission to USC. 
Federal prosecutors in Boston charged William 'Rick' Singer, 58, with running the racketeering scheme through his Edge College & Career Network. His network served a roster of clients including actresses and chief executives. 
Prosecutors said Singer's operation arranged for fake testers to take college admissions exams in place of his clients' children, and also bribed coaches to give admissions slots meant to be reserved for recruited athletes even if the applicants had no athletic ability. 
Some 33 parents were charged, as well as 13 coaches and associates of Singer's business. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895940-6800567-image-a-64_1552415706285

+12

Olivia's parents were two of the 50 parents and coaches charged on Tuesday in a plot to get their children into schools
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895932-6800567-image-a-65_1552415714844

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10895934-6800567-image-a-66_1552415719546

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 12 Mar 2019, 23:19

This story was shocking to me.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by how desperate parents can be and to what lengths they will go to to get their kids into prestigious schools.  I saw how some parents were so obsessed with getting their kids into the right college when my kids were going through that process. But don’t think it ever reached a level of actually buying their way in .... This is really sad. And disgusting.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 12 Mar 2019, 23:39

Somehow I'm more disappointed in Felicity Huffman than Lori Loughlin, although not something I would think either of them would do. Loughlin's daughter got the lambasting she deserved, if the comments are anything to go by.

I just feel truly sorry for the kids whose parents did this without telling them. Can you imagine how humiliating it must be to find out from the media that your parents bought your way into college when you thought you did it on your own? I wonder if the schools involved will take any kind of action against the kids - maybe academic probation until they can prove they can actually do the work.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 00:02

Lizzy I feel like if kids got into these schools under false pretenses or with doctored SATs that they should be kicked out. I wonder how many of these kids knew the extent to which their parents were going to to get them guaranteed admittance. I have a hard time believing that some were not well aware of mom and dad’s dirty dealings.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 00:17

I agree Donnamarie , I think they should be removed they didn't earn the place in school. If you read Loughlins daughters comments she wasn't interested in learning just partying and game days. 
If they didn't have to pass the test and had help I would think they were aware of what their parent's were doing.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Mar 2019, 00:34

I know I should agree with you - and in the case of Loughlin's daughter I do. Lord knows what she's doing in college.

But I feel sorry for the kids who didn't know what their parents were doing. Some of them have to be kids who really want to do well but maybe just aren't that bright. Maybe they're working their butts off to do well in school. Those are the kids I feel might deserve a second chance.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 00:51

Lizzy I feel bad for any kids who were blind to what was going on behind the scenes by their parents. Maybe some have even applied themselves, unlike Loughlin’s daughter, and worked really hard and proved themselves while in college. What should happen to those students? I don’t know. It would be a shame if those kids were asked to leave. But it is totally unfair to the kids whose applications were denied at the expense of those who got in illegally.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 Mar 2019, 01:49

I always had a lot of respect for Macy - and he's not been charged apparently. This is a shock - but how much more of it could there be?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 02:11

Huffman's bail was set at $250,000 dollars. I think they are probably the two most famous one's of the bunch.
A Stanford sailing coach has been fired for taking bribes. 
Sasha and Malia Obama's tennis instructor has also been indited.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Mar 2019, 03:34

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't just the tip of the iceberg. Now that the story is out in the open I'm sure some segments of the media will start in-depth investigations  of college admission policies. It will be interesting to see how  all this is handled by the schools involved.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 11:23

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6802623/Georgetown-student-allegedly-gloated-cheating-SATs.html

[size=34]Georgetown student allegedly gloated about cheating on the SATs after her parents 'paid more than $1MILLION to get her in to the school'[/size]

• Isabelle Henriquez allegedly knew her parents were bribing her way into school

• Manuel and Elizabeth Henriquez allegedly paid $25,000 to have a 'proctor' sit with her during the SAT exam in October 2015

• The proctor allegedly sat 'side-by-side' with Isabelle and provided her answers to the test, then 'gloated' with her and Elizabeth about 'the fact they had cheated' 

• Henriquez and his wife also allegedly paid Gordon Ernst, the school's tennis coach, $950,000 to designate their daughter as a recruit for the team

• This was despite fact that Isabelle had never played in a high school tournament 

• She claimed to play 'club tennis' for 20 hours per week/year and said she had a 'Top 50 ranking' in the United States Tennis Association Junior Girls Tennis 

By ANNETA KONSTANTINIDES FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 01:51 EDT, 13 March 2019 | UPDATED: 03:08 EDT, 13 March 2019

The college admissions scandal that has swept up celebrities and CEOs largely leaves out the children who benefited from their parents' bribes - except for one. 
Documents reveal that Isabelle Henriquez gloated about cheating on the SATs after her parents paid more than $1 million dollars to get her into Georgetown University.
Isabelle is the daughter of Manuel Henriquez, chairman and CEO of Hercules Technology Growth Capital, and Elizabeth Henriquez. 
The couple were among the 50 people, including Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, who have been accused of paying bribes to get their children into America's top colleges.

And now Isabelle, currently a junior at Georgetown, could face expulsion. 
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10917534-6802623-image-a-1_1552454815166

+8

Charging documents claim that Isabelle Henriquez gloated about cheating on the SATs after her parents paid more than a million dollars to get her into Georgetown University
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10917932-6802623-image-a-2_1552454823987

+8

Manuel Henriquez, chairman and CEO of Hercules Technology Growth Capital, and his wife Elizabeth are among the 50 people who have been accused of paying bribes to get their children into America's top colleges
Henriquez and his wife allegedly paid at least $425,000 to Key Worldwide Foundation, which was run by William Rick Singer. 
Singer is the alleged mastermind behind the bribery scandal. Documents claim that since 2011, Singer has received $25million from parents to bribe individuals who could pave their children's way into elite schools including Yale, Stanford, and UCLA.
In his biography on the website for the Newport Beach-based Key Foundation, Singer is heralded for his ability to get children into the college of their choice.
Singer is also praised for 'helping students discover their life passion, and guiding them along with their families through the complex college admissions maze'. 
The scheme was uncovered by the FBI and federal prosecutors in Boston, who discovered the affluent parents involved had paid a total of $6million in bribes to get their children into elite schools.
In many instances the children were unaware that their parents had paid these bribes, according to federal documents. 
But this doesn't seem to be the case with Isabelle. 
Henriquez and his wife allegedly paid Singer $25,000 to have a 'proctor' sit with her during the SAT exam in October 2015. 
The couple paid for the proctor to be flown to San Francisco to help Isabelle with the college admissions test at her private all-girls Catholic school, Notre Dame High School, in Belmont. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10917960-6802623-image-a-10_1552454965699

+8

And now Isabelle, currently a junior at Georgetown, could face expulsion over the charges 

Charging documents claim that 'unbeknownst to the school', the proctor 'sat side-by-side' with Isabelle during the exam and 'provided her with answers to the questions'. 
'After the exam, he "gloated" with Elizabeth Henriquez and her daughter about the fact that they had cheated and gotten away with it,' states the complaint, which does not refer to Isabelle by name. 
Isabelle received a score of 1900 out of 2400, which was a 320-point improvement on her previous score. 
But her parents didn't allegedly stop at her SAT scores when it came to ensuring their daughter would be admitted to the prestigious Washington DC school. 
Henriquez and his wife also paid Gordon Ernst, the school's tennis coach, $950,000 to designate their daughter as a recruit for the team, according to the documents. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10917762-6802623-image-a-11_1552454977189

+8

Henriquez and his wife allegedly paid $25,000 to have a 'proctor' sit with Isabelle and feed her the answers during the SAT exam at her private all-girls Catholic school Notre Dame (pictured) in Belmont, California in October 2015

This was despite the fact that Isabelle did not play a single tennis tournament in high school. 
Isabelle wrote in her application that she played 'club tennis' all through high school for 20 hours per week and 52 weeks per year, the documents claim. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10918638-6802623-image-a-13_1552455080178

+8

Henriquez and his wife also allegedly paid Gordon Ernst, Georgetown's tennis coach, $950,000 to designate their daughter as a recruit for the team
She claimed to have a 'Top 50 ranking' in the United States Tennis Association Junior Girls Tennis for her sophomore through senior years of high school, and said she was on the UTSA All-Academic Team for tennis during her junior and senior years as well. 
'In fact, records obtained from the USTA do not show that she played at any USTA tournaments in high school,' the documents state.  
'At her best, she appears to have ranked 207th in Northern California in the under-12 girls division, with an overall win/loss record of 2-8.'
Isabelle was allegedly encouraged to rewrite her college application essay to reflect her so-called passion and commitment to tennis. 
In the essay, Isabelle writes about practicing for 'three to four hours a day...with the hopes of becoming successful enough to play college tennis, especially at Georgetown'. 
In a separate letter to Ernst, Isabelle claimed she had been 'really successful this summer playing tennis around the country'. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10917532-6802623-image-a-4_1552454835849

+8

Isabelle is currently a Spanish and Iberian studies major at Georgetown and a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority
'I am looking forward to having a chance to be part of the Georgetown tennis team and make a positive contribution to your team's success,' she added. 
After Isabelle was admitted to Georgetown in May 2016, the Henriquez Family Trust 'donated' $400,000 to Key Worldwide Foundation. 
Isabelle is currently a Spanish and Iberian studies major at Georgetown and a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. 
She is the president of 'Hoya Helpers', a tutoring organization for middle school students in Georgetown, and also studied abroad in Spain, according to her LinkedIn page.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10915310-6802623-Felicity_Huffman_pictured_leaving_court_on_Tuesday_has_been_rele-a-5_1552454856517

+8

Felicity Huffman (pictured leaving court on Tuesday) has been released on $250,000 bond after she was charged in the massive college admissions bribery scandal on Tuesday 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10885192-6802623-Lori_Loughlin_pictured_with_her_daughters_has_also_been_implicat-a-7_1552454858659

+8

Lori Loughlin (pictured with her daughters) and her husband Mossimo Giannulli have also been implicated in the bribery scandal 

Isabelle previously interned at her father's company, and is listed as a current investment banking intern at Compass Point Research & Trading, LLC and an incoming summer wealth management analyst at Jeffries Financial Group. 
A blog entry obtained by Daily Beast found that Isabelle described herself as 'very independent and not dependent on others when I need things'. 
'I also find that I have a good moral compass,' she added.   
Georgetown officials said they are reviewing details of the indictment and 'will be taking appropriate action'. 

[size=34]THE FULL LIST OF PEOPLE CHARGED WITH COLLEGE ADMITTANCE SCAM[/size]

THE STARS
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10891612-6800257-image-m-3_1552409989779
Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli spent $500,000 getting their two daughters into USC, according to prosecutors 

Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli
Actress Loughlin and her fashion designer husband Mossimo are among the three most well known names on the list. They have two daughters, Olivia, 20, Isabella, 19, and Mossimo also has a son from a previous relationship. It is not clear which of their children is in college.  
Olivia is a YouTube star who has amounted millions of fans online but she is also enrolled at USC, as is their 19-year-old daughter Isabella. 
They allegedly paid $50,000 to get their oldest daughter into USC under the guise that she was a crew coxswain when in fact she does not row crew. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10891606-6800257-image-a-89_1552415133393
Felicity Huffman is accused of paying a $15,000 bribe to get her oldest daughter Sofia into USC 

Felicity Huffman 
Huffman is best known for her role on Desperate Housewives. 
She is married to fellow actor William H. Macy but he has not been charged in the indictment. 
The pair have two daughters, Sofia, 18, and Georgia, 16.
Huffman is accused of paying $15,000 for someone else to sit her daughter Sofia's SAT exam which got her into USC.  
THE COLLEGE PROFESSORS, COACHES AND 'MASTERMIND'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10891762-6800257-image-m-10_1552410452891
Rick Singer ran The Key, a college preparation business 

Singer is accused of leading the scam. He led a college counseling program and, according to prosecutors, also ran a fake charity through which he funneled bribes. The scam worked in two ways; he would have people come into the exam to correct students' answers and he also then bribed sports coaches to offer them scholarships, in some cases for sports they did not even play. 
Rudolph Meredith 
Meredith is a women's soccer coach at Yale. In his bio on the college's website, he is heralded as the 'winningest' coach, with 24 seasons under his belt. 
Mark Riddell 
Riddell is the director of IMG Academy , a college entrance exam preparation company.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892876-6800257-image-m-19_1552411697570

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892916-6800257-image-a-20_1552411703989

Rudolph Meredith, the women's soccer coach at Yale (left) and Mark Riddell, director of IMG Academy 

John Vandemoer 
Vandemoer is the head sailing coach at Stanford.   
Gordon Ernst 
Ernst is the head of women's tennis at the University of Rhode Island. 
He taught at Georgetown in the past and worked as a personal tennis coach for Michelle Obama and her daughters, Sasha and Malia, while they were in the White House. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892870-6800257-image-m-27_1552411843317
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10893004-6800257-image-a-28_1552411847716

John Vandemoer (left) is the head sailing coach at Stanford. Gordie Ernst was Michelle Obama's private tennis coach when she was First Lady. He is now the head of women's tennis at the University of Rhode Island.

Igor Dvorskiy
Dvorskiy is the president of the West Hollywood College Preparatory School and he worked at the West Hollywood Test Center
Niki Williams 
Williams worked as a test administrator at one of the test centers Singer told parents he 'controlled'.  
Houmayoun Zadeg
Homa H Zadeh is a professor at USC. He is the Associate Professor and Director, Advanced Education Program in Periodontology. 
Michael Center
Center is the men's soccer coach at the University of Texas.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892862-6800257-image-m-32_1552411936539

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892844-6800257-image-a-33_1552411942187

Homa H Zadeh (left) is a professor at USC. Michael Center (right) is the men's soccer coach at the University of Texas.

Donna Heinel 
Heinel is the senior women's athletics director at USC. She is alleged to have accepted a $50,000 from Lori Loughlin and her husband, among others, for admitting fraudulent tests.
Laura Janke 
Janke is a former assistant soccer coach at USC. She allegedly took payment from Loughlin and her husband for their youngest daughter. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892840-6800257-image-a-40_1552412047829
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892910-6800257-image-m-39_1552412045411

Donna Heinel (left) is the senior athletic director at USC. Laura Janke (right) is a former assistant soccer coach

Ali Khosroshahin 
Khosroshahin is the head women's soccer coach at USC. 
Jovan Vavic
Vavic is the head coach for the men's and women's water polo teams at USC. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892838-6800257-image-a-47_1552412172821
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892826-6800257-image-m-46_1552412164212

Ali Khosroshahin (left) is the head of women's soccer at USC and Jovan Vavic is the head of the men's and women's water polo teams at USC 

PARENTS 
Bill McGlashan  
McGlashan is a prolific private equity investor who is the founder and managing partner of the firm TPG Growth. 
He is also at the helm of The Rise Fund, a social impact fund he launched with Bono. 

New York couple Gregory and Marcia Abbott, 68 and 59, were also named. 
Gregory Abbott is the founder and chairman of International Dispensing Corp., a successful food and beverage packaging company. 
The couple, who have homes in New York City and Aspen, Colorado, allegedly paid a total of $125,000 to have someone take the ACT and SAT subject tests for their daughter so she could gain entrance to Duke University. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892792-6800257-Bill_McGlashan-a-5_1552435556080

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10910474-6800257-Gregory_Abbott-m-4_1552435547810

Bill McGlashan and Gregory Abbott are pictured

Gamal Abdelaziz
Abdelaziz stepped down as president and COO of Wynn Resorts in 2016.
He is accused of bribing Donna Heinel, the senior women's athletics director at USC, to recruit his daughter for the basketball team in 2017. 
According to court documents, his daughter played high school basketball but was not gifted enough to get recruited as an athlete so he arranged for her to be one.  
He then made a $300,000 'donation' to the fictitious charity run by 'ringleader' Rick Singer and then made monthly $20,000 payments directly to Heinel. 
His daughter got into the college but never joined the basketball team, according to the documents. 
In a phone call with the fixer, they said: 'I’m not going to tell the IRS anything about the fact that your $300,000 was paid to Donna-- Donna Heinel at USC to get [your daughter] into school even though she wasn’t a legitimate basketball player at that level.'   
Jane Buckingham 
Buckingham is the owner of the now defunct market research firm, Youth Intelligence.  She sold the company in 2003. 
She is charged in the scheme for allegedly paying $50,000 to have someone else take her son's ACT exam in July 2018 because he had tonsilitis. 
Buckingham sent a handwriting sample for her son to a test taker and had him take a fake exam at home so he wouldn't know about the fraud, court documents indicate. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892828-6800257-Gamal_Abdelaziz-a-54_1552412501807

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892830-6800257-Jane_Buckingham-m-53_1552412496357

Gamal Abdelaziz, the president and COO of Wynn Resorts (left) and Jane Buckingham, the owner of the now defunct market research firm Youth Intelligence 

Gordon Caplan
Caplan is a financial attorney and partner at the firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher in New York City. He lives in Connecticut.
He allegedly paid $75,000 to have Singer arrange a proctor to corrected his daughter's answers after she took the ACT in November or December 2018. 

Robert Flaxman 
Flaxman is the CEO, Co-founder, Crown Realty & Development, Inc, a real estate company based in Orange County. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892858-6800257-image-a-61_1552412796014

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892836-6800257-image-m-60_1552412791204

Gordon Caplan (left) is a financial attorney and partner at the firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher in New York City. Robert Flaxman (right) is the CEO, Co-founder, Crown Realty & Development

Agustin Huneeus 
Vineyard owner Huneeus owns a range of wines that are produced in Napa Valley. 
He allegedly participated in both the college entrance exam cheating scheme and the college recruitment scheme for his daughter in 2017 and 2018 by conspiring to bribe Heinel and Jovan Vavic, the USC water polo coach, to facilitate his daughter’s admission to USC as a purported water polo recruit, according to the indictment. 
Elisabeth Kimmel 
Kimmel, of Las Vegas, Nevada, is the former president of Midwest Television. She sold it in 2017 for $325million. 
She allegedly used the scheme to get her daughter into Georgetown and her son into USC by pretending the former was a tennis player and the latter was a pole vaulter. 
Kimmel ultimately facilitated $475,000 in payments to KWF, according to the affidavit.  
Toby MacFarlane 
MacFarlane and his wife Christy are well known on the San Diego social and charity circuit. 
He sits on the board of multiple companies and the family has their own trust but it is not exactly clear what he does. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892860-6800257-image-a-68_1552412884310

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892834-6800257-image-m-67_1552412882228

Elisabeth Kimmel is the former president of Midwest Television. She sold it in 2017 for $325million. Agustin Huneeus, whose family owns vineyards in Napa Valley, was also charged 

Marjorie Klapper 
Diane and Todd Blake 
I-Hsin "Joey" Chen  
Amy and Gregory Colburn 
Marci Palatella 
Peter Jan Sartorio 
Stephen Semprevivo 
Devin Sloane 
John Wilson
Robert Zangrillo 
Steven Masera 
William Ferguson 
Martin Fox
Jorge Salcedo 
Bruce and Davina Isackson 
Mikaela Sanford
David Sidoo
Michelle Janavs  

Elizabeth and Manuel Henriquez
Douglas Hodge 

ADVERTISEMENT
Read more:

• www.thedailybeas...

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 11:29

How is it allowable to have someone sit next to you and give you the answers and no one says anything.

For me they all should be expelled doesn't matter who knew their parent's got them in they didn't get in on their own merits.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Mar 2019, 13:17

Annemarie - That "proctor" thing's been bugging me too. I can't imagine it being allowed in a public school here - if anyone could afford it in the first place. Private schools? I guess. A lot of wealthy parents will do anything to get their kids into the "right" schools, starting as early as pre-k.

I still think it's unfair to blame kids who didn't know what their parents did. If they're in school and doing well I think they should be given a chance to continue. The stigma of being bought into college and knowing how little confidence your parents have in you is bad enough without getting kicked out of school.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 13:49

I’m really torn as to the fate of those students already attending college. But I do find it a bit unbelievable that these kids didn’t know what their parents were up to ... But if we’re going to set an example I have to lean towards all of these kids being expelled.

As Lizzy said this may just be the tip of the iceberg. This corrupt behavior may be far more widespread. It demeans the whole college admissions process and gives the legitimate admission process a black eye.
It plays into what many ordinary citizens have long felt that the American system is rigged.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Mar 2019, 15:09

Donnamarie - I lean toward academic probation for maybe a year or two, to give these kids a chance to prove themselves.

IMO this whole thing is just a symptom of how badly our education system has deteriorated. It's not about learning anymore. Too many of our kids come out of high school ignorant and unprepared. They think like Lori Loughlin's daughter. They go to college to have fun and please their parents. The degree is a bragging point and a way to make money.

I am a firm believer in a gap year between high school and college. It could be spent working, traveling, or volunteering. Or we could reinstate the draft and require a year of national service in either the military or something like the old VISTA program. By the time the year is up hopefully the kids will have matured enough to make a decision about going to college. Maybe we need to offer them other options that could lead to viable careers.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 16:00

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6803591/The-really-smart-Florida-man-36-took-college-entrance-exams-wealthy-parents-kids.html

[size=34]Revealed: The 'really smart' 36-year-old Florida man who 'took college entrance exams' for 'cheating' students for $10,000 after their parents signed up to bribery scheme[/size]

• Mark Riddell, 36, is charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; conspiracy to commit money laundering 

• He allegedly sat tests for students and corrected their answers in test centers in Texas and L.A. 

• He also actively helped students with their answers in some cases while they sat the test 

• Among kids whose tests he helped along was Felicity Huffman's oldest daughter 

• Riddell would fly from his home near Tampa to sit the tests in either location 

• He was paid $10,000 per exam by the scheme's 'mastermind' Rick Singer 

• Riddell did not have the test answers but was 'just a really smart guy', according to prosecutors

• He is facing up to 25 years behind bars for his role in the scheme and is due before a judge on Wednesday 

• Riddell was one of two cooperating witnesses who helped the government's case  

By JENNIFER SMITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 08:50 EDT, 13 March 2019 | UPDATED: 11:14 EDT, 13 March 2019

One of the key players of the college bribery scheme used by celebrities and wealthy parents to get their underachieving children into ivy league schools is a 36-year-old married man from Florida who allegedly sat tests in students' places. 
Mark Riddell is one of the 50 people who were indicted on Wednesday along with stars Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin for either using the scheme or facilitating it. 
He is charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering.  
According to prosecutors, Riddell was paid by the 'mastermind' Rick Singer to fly to two test centers - one in Texas and the other in Los Angeles - where he had paid off test administrators and either take the SAT or ACT exam in a child's place or correct their wrong answers once they had finished. 

Riddell was the director of college entrance exam preparation at the IMG Academy - a world renowned sports school where athletes including Andy Murray and Serena Williams have trained. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10934764-6803591-image-m-15_1552488505049

+4

Mark Riddell either sat students' tests for them, gave them the answers during while acting as their proctor or corrected their tests after they'd finished them, according to prosecutors. He was the director of college entrance exam prep at IMG Academy, a famous athletics sports school in Florida, but has now been suspended over his alleged role in the scam 
Riddell typically earned $10,000 for every test he took in place of a student and payment came from Singer's fraudulent charity, The Key Foundation, according to the indictment. 
The 36-year-old did not have inside information but was 'just a really smart guy' who knew how to land specific scores on tests depending on the child's ability, according to prosecutors. 
Among kids whose tests he helped along was Felicity Huffman's oldest daughter's, according to the indictment. 

The family discussed using him again to take their younger daughter Georgia's test for her in 2018, according to prosecutors. 
He had just had a baby with his wife, Sandrina, when Huffman allegedly spoke to Singer about him sitting the test for Georgia.  
He allegedly flew to Los Angeles from Tampa in December 2017 and 'purported to proctor' Sofia while she sat the SAT. 

Felicity Huffman released on bail in college admissions pr…

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10929906-6803591-image-m-4_1552480876428

+4

Riddell allegedly proctored Felicity Huffman's oldest daughter Sofia's SAT exam in December 2017. Sofia (second left) is shown with her younger sister Georgia and her famous parents. William H. Macy, her father, was not charged and Huffman did not use the scheme for Georgia 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10929888-6803591-image-a-6_1552481356886

+4

Lori Loughlin was also charged for allegedly bribing administrators to get her two daughters, Bella and Olivia, into USC 
The indictment does not specify if he helped her during the test with her knowledge or if he changed her answers afterwards. 
He was not involved in Lori Loughlin's two daughters' entrance to USC.  
Ordinarily, Riddell would enter the test room after the child had taken the test to correct their answers. They were allowed in by one of two test administrators - Niki Williams or Igor Dvorskiy - who were also on Singer's pay roll.
In the case of Jane Buckingham, however, he took the entire test in her son's place because he was too ill to travel.
The boy, who was not aware of the scheme, took what he thought was his legitimate, college entrance exam in his bedroom with his mother watching over him.
Buckingham even supplied Riddell with a handwriting sample from her son so that he could imitate it.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10929380-6803591-image-a-5_1552481351598

+4

Riddell has been told to forfeit more than $200,000 to prosecutors. He may also have to surrender his $220,000, three-bedroom home in Florida 
Riddell did not have all the answers to the tests but was, according to prosecutors, 'just a really smart guy.'
It is not exactly clear how many tests Riddell took for students or corrected for them.
Prosecutors have told him to forfeit more than $200,000 and any property he bought as a result of the scheme.
The 36-year-old lives in a modest, three bedroom home with is wife in Florida.
He has not yet responded to the allegations but is due in court in Massachusetts on Wednesday.
IMG, the private academy where he taught as the director of college preparatory exam, has suspended him.
IMG offers a student athlete boarding program which can cost up to $75,000 a year. The school prides itself on its sports facilities and counts Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova among professional athletes who use it to train in their off-seasons.
In a statement late on Tuesday night, IMG said in a statement: 'Today we were made aware of the charges against Mark Riddell. 
'Riddell has been suspended indefinitely as we investigate this matter.' 

[size=34]THE FULL LIST OF PEOPLE CHARGED WITH COLLEGE ADMITTANCE SCAM[/size]

THE STARS
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10891612-6800257-image-m-3_1552409989779
Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli spent $500,000 getting their two daughters into USC, according to prosecutors 

Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli
Actress Loughlin and her fashion designer husband Mossimo are among the three most well known names on the list. They have two daughters, Olivia, 20, Isabella, 19, and Mossimo also has a son from a previous relationship. It is not clear which of their children is in college.  
Olivia is a YouTube star who has amounted millions of fans online but she is also enrolled at USC, as is their 19-year-old daughter Isabella. 
They allegedly paid $50,000 to get their oldest daughter into USC under the guise that she was a crew coxswain when in fact she does not row crew. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10891606-6800257-image-a-89_1552415133393
Felicity Huffman is accused of paying a $15,000 bribe to get her oldest daughter Sofia into USC 

Felicity Huffman 
Huffman is best known for her role on Desperate Housewives. 
She is married to fellow actor William H. Macy but he has not been charged in the indictment. 
The pair have two daughters, Sofia, 18, and Georgia, 16.
Huffman is accused of paying $15,000  to have her daughter's exam proctored by Mark Riddell. 
Riddell was described by authorities as 'just a really smart guy' who would either sit tests for students, change their answers afterwards or help them actively while they took it in one of two test centers that was 'controlled' by the scheme's 'mastermind' Rick Singer. 
Huffman allegedly used the scheme in December 2017 but the indictment does not specify how Riddell allegedly helped her daughter. 
She considered using it for her youngest daughter, Georgia, but decided in the end that she did not need to, according to authorities.  
THE COLLEGE PROFESSORS, COACHES AND 'MASTERMIND'
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10891762-6800257-image-m-10_1552410452891
Rick Singer ran The Key, a college preparation business 

Singer is accused of leading the scam. 
He led a college counseling program and, according to prosecutors, also ran a fake charity through which he funneled bribes.
The scam worked in two ways; he would have people come into the exam to correct students' answers and he also then bribed sports coaches to offer them scholarships, in some cases for sports they did not even play. 
Singer cooperated with authorities as part of the investigation and continued taking bribes after he had been contacted by police. 
Some of his conversations were recorded by police who obtained a wire tap to listen in. He is facing a maximum of 65 years behind bars and has pleaded guilty on all counts he was charged with. 
It remains unclear if he will be given leniency given his cooperation. 
Rudolph Meredith 
Meredith is a women's soccer coach at Yale. In his bio on the college's website, he is heralded as the 'winningest' coach, with 24 seasons under his belt. 
Mark Riddell 
Riddell is the director of IMG Academy , a college entrance exam preparation company.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892876-6800257-image-m-19_1552411697570

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892916-6800257-image-a-20_1552411703989

Rudolph Meredith, the women's soccer coach at Yale (left) and Mark Riddell, director of IMG Academy 

John Vandemoer 
Vandemoer is the head sailing coach at Stanford.   
Gordon Ernst 
Ernst is the head of women's tennis at the University of Rhode Island. 
He taught at Georgetown in the past and worked as a personal tennis coach for Michelle Obama and her daughters, Sasha and Malia, while they were in the White House. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892870-6800257-image-m-27_1552411843317
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10893004-6800257-image-a-28_1552411847716

John Vandemoer (left) is the head sailing coach at Stanford. Gordie Ernst was Michelle Obama's private tennis coach when she was First Lady. He is now the head of women's tennis at the University of Rhode Island.

Igor Dvorskiy
Dvorskiy is the president of the West Hollywood College Preparatory School and he worked at the West Hollywood Test Center
Niki Williams 
Williams worked as a test administrator at one of the test centers Singer told parents he 'controlled'.  
Houmayoun Zadeg
Homa H Zadeh is a professor at USC. He is the Associate Professor and Director, Advanced Education Program in Periodontology. 
Michael Center
Center is the men's soccer coach at the University of Texas.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892862-6800257-image-m-32_1552411936539

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892844-6800257-image-a-33_1552411942187

Homa H Zadeh (left) is a professor at USC. Michael Center (right) is the men's soccer coach at the University of Texas.

Donna Heinel 
Heinel is the senior women's athletics director at USC. She is alleged to have accepted a $50,000 from Lori Loughlin and her husband, among others, for admitting fraudulent tests.
Laura Janke 
Janke is a former assistant soccer coach at USC. She allegedly took payment from Loughlin and her husband for their youngest daughter. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892840-6800257-image-a-40_1552412047829
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892910-6800257-image-m-39_1552412045411

Donna Heinel (left) is the senior athletic director at USC. Laura Janke (right) is a former assistant soccer coach

Ali Khosroshahin 
Khosroshahin is the head women's soccer coach at USC. 
Jovan Vavic
Vavic is the head coach for the men's and women's water polo teams at USC. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892838-6800257-image-a-47_1552412172821
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892826-6800257-image-m-46_1552412164212

Ali Khosroshahin (left) is the head of women's soccer at USC and Jovan Vavic is the head of the men's and women's water polo teams at USC 

PARENTS 
Bill McGlashan  
McGlashan is a prolific private equity investor who is the founder and managing partner of the firm TPG Growth. 
He is also at the helm of The Rise Fund, a social impact fund he launched with Bono. 

New York couple Gregory and Marcia Abbott, 68 and 59, were also named. 
Gregory Abbott is the founder and chairman of International Dispensing Corp., a successful food and beverage packaging company. 
The couple, who have homes in New York City and Aspen, Colorado, allegedly paid a total of $125,000 to have someone take the ACT and SAT subject tests for their daughter so she could gain entrance to Duke University. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892792-6800257-Bill_McGlashan-a-5_1552435556080

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10910474-6800257-Gregory_Abbott-m-4_1552435547810

Bill McGlashan and Gregory Abbott are pictured

Gamal Abdelaziz
Abdelaziz stepped down as president and COO of Wynn Resorts in 2016.
He is accused of bribing Donna Heinel, the senior women's athletics director at USC, to recruit his daughter for the basketball team in 2017. 
According to court documents, his daughter played high school basketball but was not gifted enough to get recruited as an athlete so he arranged for her to be one.  
He then made a $300,000 'donation' to the fictitious charity run by 'ringleader' Rick Singer and then made monthly $20,000 payments directly to Heinel. 
His daughter got into the college but never joined the basketball team, according to the documents. 
In a phone call with the fixer, they said: 'I’m not going to tell the IRS anything about the fact that your $300,000 was paid to Donna-- Donna Heinel at USC to get [your daughter] into school even though she wasn’t a legitimate basketball player at that level.'   
Jane Buckingham 
Buckingham is the owner of the now defunct market research firm, Youth Intelligence.  She sold the company in 2003. 
She is charged in the scheme for allegedly paying $50,000 to have someone else take her son's ACT exam in July 2018 because he had tonsilitis. 
Buckingham sent a handwriting sample for her son to a test taker and had him take a fake exam at home so he wouldn't know about the fraud, court documents indicate. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892828-6800257-Gamal_Abdelaziz-a-54_1552412501807

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892830-6800257-Jane_Buckingham-m-53_1552412496357

Gamal Abdelaziz, the president and COO of Wynn Resorts (left) and Jane Buckingham, the owner of the now defunct market research firm Youth Intelligence 

Gordon Caplan
Caplan is a financial attorney and partner at the firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher in New York City. He lives in Connecticut.
He allegedly paid $75,000 to have Singer arrange a proctor to corrected his daughter's answers after she took the ACT in November or December 2018. 

Robert Flaxman 
Flaxman is the CEO, Co-founder, Crown Realty & Development, Inc, a real estate company based in Orange County. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892858-6800257-image-a-61_1552412796014

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892836-6800257-image-m-60_1552412791204

Gordon Caplan (left) is a financial attorney and partner at the firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher in New York City. Robert Flaxman (right) is the CEO, Co-founder, Crown Realty & Development

Agustin Huneeus 
Vineyard owner Huneeus owns a range of wines that are produced in Napa Valley. 
He allegedly participated in both the college entrance exam cheating scheme and the college recruitment scheme for his daughter in 2017 and 2018 by conspiring to bribe Heinel and Jovan Vavic, the USC water polo coach, to facilitate his daughter’s admission to USC as a purported water polo recruit, according to the indictment. 
Elisabeth Kimmel 
Kimmel, of Las Vegas, Nevada, is the former president of Midwest Television. She sold it in 2017 for $325million. 
She allegedly used the scheme to get her daughter into Georgetown and her son into USC by pretending the former was a tennis player and the latter was a pole vaulter. 
Kimmel ultimately facilitated $475,000 in payments to KWF, according to the affidavit.  
Toby MacFarlane 
MacFarlane and his wife Christy are well known on the San Diego social and charity circuit. 
He sits on the board of multiple companies and the family has their own trust but it is not exactly clear what he does. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892860-6800257-image-a-68_1552412884310

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10892834-6800257-image-m-67_1552412882228

Elisabeth Kimmel is the former president of Midwest Television. She sold it in 2017 for $325million. Agustin Huneeus, whose family owns vineyards in Napa Valley, was also charged 

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 Mar 2019, 17:22

Looks like this may just be the tip of the iceberg........Mr Kushner and his son

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6802515/Scandal-renews-attention-Jared-Kushners-admission-Harvard-father-donated-2-5million.html

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 17:36

[size=34]College bribery scandal puts spotlight on Jared Kushner who got into Harvard despite 'less-than-stellar grades' after 'his father pledged $2.5million gift to the university'[/size]

• Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman and dozens of other wealthy parents were indicted by federal authorities 

• They were allegedly part of a bribery scam designed to buy their children admission into elite universities

• High-profile scandal has triggered renewed interest in the case of Jared Kushner

• President Trump's son-in-law attended Harvard University despite a 'less-than-stellar' academic record in high school, according to author Daniel Golden

• Kushner was accepted into the Ivy League school after his father, real estate mogul Charles Kushner, pledged a $2.5million gift, according to Golden

• The Kushners have denied that the gift had anything to do with Jared's admission to Harvard 

By ARIEL ZILBER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and REUTERS
PUBLISHED: 00:44 EDT, 13 March 2019 | UPDATED: 07:13 EDT, 13 March 2019

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10916630-6802515-image-m-75_1552451931847

+5

Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, attended Harvard University as an undergraduate 
The scandal involving dozens of wealthy parents including actors Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman who allegedly paid bribes so that their children can be admitted to top universities has triggered renewed interest in Jared Kushner’s acceptance into Harvard.
Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior White House adviser, is the son of New Jersey real estate magnate Charles Kushner.
In 2016, when it appeared that Jared Kushner would join the incoming Trump administration, the public took an interest in the circumstances of his college acceptance.

It turns out that Kushner, the husband of Ivanka Trump, was admitted into Harvard shortly after his father pledged a $2.5million donation to the university, according to ProPublica.
Daniel Golden, the author of The Price of Admission, revealed that Kushner was accepted despite the fact that administrators at his high school said he was a less-than-stellar student.
‘There was no way anybody in the administrative office of the school thought he would on the merits get into Harvard,’ a former administrator at The Frisch School in Paramus, New Jersey said.
‘His GPA did not warrant it, his SAT scores did not warrant it.
‘We thought for sure, there was no way this was going to happen.
‘Then, lo and behold, Jared was accepted.
‘It was a little bit disappointing because there were at the time other kids we thought should really get in on the merits, and they did not.’
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10916946-6802515-image-m-77_1552451994203

+5

Kushner was admitted into Harvard despite 'less-than-stellar' grades, according to author Daniel Golden. He gained acceptance after his father, real estate mogul Charles Kushner (left), pledged $2.5million to the university, it has been claimed
A spokesperson for Kushner Companies said in 2016 that ‘the allegation’ Charles Kushner’s donation to Harvard played a role in Jared’s acceptance ‘is and always has been false’.
Kushner’s parents, Charles and Seryl Kushner, ‘are enormously generous and have donated over 100 million dollars to universities, hospitals and other charitable causes,’ the spokesperson said.

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10916628-6802515-image-a-78_1552452071609

+5

Golden’s research revealed that Charles Kushner and his wife were members of Harvard’s Committee on University Resources, a body made up of some of the university’s most generous donors. Harvard Business School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is seen above
Through his research, Golden also revealed that more than half of those on the 400-plus member committee had sent at least one child to Harvard.
The university has refused to comment on the matter. 
Nearly 50 people, including actors Huffman and Loughlin were charged on Tuesday in what federal authorities say was a $25million scam to help wealthy Americans get their children into elite universities like Yale and Stanford. 
The most sweeping college admissions fraud scheme ever unearthed in the United States was masterminded at a small college-preparation company based in Newport Beach, California, prosecutors said. 

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10885186-6802515-Desperate_housewife_Huffman_allegedly_paid_a_15_000_charitable_c-a-11_1552475557029

+5

Desperate housewife: Huffman allegedly paid a $15,000 'charitable contribution' 'to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter' (Huffman and Macy with their daughters Georgia and Sofia at the Golden Globes)
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10885192-6802515-Aunt_Becky_with_the_bad_heirs_Full_House_star_Lori_Loughlin_and_-a-39_1552458095633

+5

Aunt Becky with the bad heirs: Full House star Lori Loughlin and Oscar nominee Felicity Huffman are two of the 50 parents charged in a plot to get their children into elite schools (Loughlin with daughters Olivia and Bella in February)
It relied on bribes to coaches, phony test takers and even doctored photos misrepresenting non-athletic applicants as elite competitors to gain admissions for the offspring of rich parents.
'These parents are a catalog of wealth and privilege,' Andrew Lelling, the U.S. attorney in Boston, said at a news conference. 
'For every student admitted through fraud, an honest, genuinely talented student was rejected.'
William 'Rick' Singer, 58, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to charges related to running the scheme through his Edge College & Career Network, which charged from $100,000 to as much as $2.5million per child for the services, which were masked as contributions to a scam charity Singer runs.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 19:57

[size=34]Lori Loughlin's YouTube star daughter says her parents forced her to go to college and her designer father 'faked his way through college' by using money meant for tuition to start his business[/size]

• Olivia Jade Giannulli, 19, has come under fire ever since her parents were charged for paying $500,000 to get her into USC in a cheating scheme

• The YouTube star has since faced backlash for 'ignorant' comments she has made about college 

• In an interview just last week, Olivia admitted that she only went to college because her parents forced her

• Olivia also spoke about how her dad inspired her and revealed that he had 'faked' his way through college by using tuition money to start his fashion business 

By EMILY CRANE FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 14:34 EDT, 13 March 2019 | UPDATED: 15:24 EDT, 13 March 2019

The YouTube star daughter of actress Lori Loughlin admitted just last week that her parents forced her to go to college and that her father 'faked his way' through school by using tuition money to start his design business. 
Olivia Jade Giannulli has been slammed ever since her parents were charged Tuesday for paying $500,000 to get her and her 20-year-old sister Isabella into the University of Southern California.
Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli allegedly paid to have their two daughters labeled as USC crew team recruits, even though neither of them are rowers. 
Olivia has since come under fire for 'ignorant' comments she has made about college, including an interview just last week in which she admitted that she only went to college because her parents forced her. 
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10946184-6805305-image-m-27_1552500490852

+6

Olivia Jade Giannulli, who is the 19-year-old daughter of Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli, admitted in an interview last week that her parents forced her to go to college

'Mostly my parents really wanted me to go because both of them didn't go to college... I think they did fine,' Olivia said on the Zach Sang Show, before joking that her parents were 'hypocrites'. 
'I'm so happy they made me go, that sounds so terrible. They didn't make me. My sister goes to the same school and we're pretty much inseparable.' 
Later in that same interview, Olivia spoke about how her dad inspired her and revealed that he had 'faked' his way through college. 
'He, like, built his whole entire brand and he wasn't actually, like - I don't know if I'm supposed to say this - ever enrolled in college,' she said. 
'But he, like, faked his way through it and then he started his whole business with tuition money that his parents thought was going to college. That's, like, such a different time. I don't know if I was supposed to say that, but it's okay. 
'So he started Mossimo then and it sold to Target. He was a baller.' 

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10946072-6805305-image-m-29_1552500610220

+6

Olivia - who started at USC in September - admitted in an interview last week that her father Mossimo Giannulli had 'faked' his way through college. Both her parents are charged in the college admissions scheme   
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10894452-6805305-Olivia_Jade_Giannulli_who_is_the_19_year_old_daughter_of_Loughli-a-30_1552500879881

+6

Olivia started attending classes at at the University of Southern California last year. She is pictured with her parents following her high school graduation
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10893488-6805305-The_19_year_old_has_also_cashed_in_on_being_student_during_her_b-a-31_1552500919045

+6

The 19-year-old has also cashed in on being student during her brief time at USC. She posted sponsored content for Amazon Prime on her Instagram account (above) in September that featured an image of her inside her USC dorm room
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10899366-6800567-image-a-1_1552420380199

Olivia has come under fire for comments she has made about her education, which people have said proves she's 'ignorant' and 'spoiled'

[size=18]Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin charged in bribery scam

Lo
[/size]

Olivia has previously made controversial comments when she revealed to her two million YouTube followers that she didn't 'really care about school' but wanted to experience 'game days and partying'.
She posted a video to her YouTube channel on the day she was due to start college last year, saying: 'I don't know how much of school I'm gonna attend. 
'But I'm gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying… I don't really care about school, as you guys all know.' 
She was forced to apologize several days later after her viewers slammed her for being 'ignorant' and 'spoiled'. 
The 19-year-old has also cashed in on being student during her brief time at USC. 
She posted sponsored content for Amazon Prime on her Instagram account in September that featured an image of her inside her USC dorm room.
'Officially a college student! It's been a few weeks since I moved into my dorm and I absolutely love it. I got everything I needed from Amazon with @primestudent and had it all shipped to me in just two-days,' the post read.  
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10896238-6805305-image-a-5_1552504933752

+6

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 10896236-6805305-image-a-3_1552503646872

+6

Critics also questioned Olivia's commitment to her education after she faced backlash last year for saying she didn't 'really care about school' but wanted to experience 'game days and partying'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Mar 2019, 20:45

No wonder they had to buy her way into USC. She's an idiot.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 21:37

[size=48]David Mamet Defends Felicity Huffman: 'Admissions Policies Are an Unfortunate and Corrupt Joke'

this link opens in a new tab[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fmovies%2Ffelicity-huffmans-david-mamet-blames-alleged-scheme-on-parents-zeal-for-children%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20190313%26utm_term%3D6967014&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F03%2Fdavid-mamet.jpg&description=David Mamet Defends Felicity Huffman%3A %27Admissions Policies Are an Unfortunate and Corrupt Joke%27]this link opens in a new tab[/url][url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=David Mamet Defends Felicity Huffman%3A %27Admissions Policies Are an Unfortunate and Corrupt Joke%27]this link opens in a new tab[/url][/size]

Play
[size=10]
[size=10]M
[/size][/size]
WILLIAM H. MACY DISHES ON FELICITY HUFFMAN PARENTING & CALLS DAUGHTER 'SMART AS WHIPS' IN 2017 INTERVIEW
Playwright David Mamet is defending longtime friend Felicity Huffman
By 
ALE RUSSIAN this link opens in a new tab 
March 13, 2019 10:49 AM

Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy‘s longtime friend David Mamet is defending their character.
The Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, 71, wrote an open letter published by the Hollywood Reporterthis link opens in a new tab in which he talks about his over 30-year friendship with Macy, 69, and Huffman, 56.
Huffman was indicted on fraud charges after she allegedly paid $15,000 to have a proctor secretly correct her daughter’s SAT scores. She was arrested and released on a $250,000 bond on Tuesday afternoon.
RELATED: Felicity Huffman Pictured for the First Time Since Her Arrest After Posting $250,000 Bail
“I worked for very many years in and around our Elite Universities. I am able to report that their admissions policies are an unfortunate and corrupt joke,” Mamet wrote. “The unqualified may be accepted for many reasons, among them, as Legacies, and on account of large donations made by their parents. I do not see the difference between getting a kid into school by bribing the Building Committee, and by bribing someone else. But, apparently, the second is against the Law. So be it.”

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F03%2Fdavid-mamet[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fmovies%2Ffelicity-huffmans-david-mamet-blames-alleged-scheme-on-parents-zeal-for-children%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20190313%26utm_term%3D6967014&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F03%2Fdavid-mamet.jpg&description=David Mamet Defends Felicity Huffman%3A %27Admissions Policies Are an Unfortunate and Corrupt Joke%27]this link opens in a new tab[/url]

Huffman was charged by federal prosecutors with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Federal court records unsealed Tuesday in Boston name 50 people, including Huffman and Fuller House actress Lori Loughlin, who have been indicted as part of the alleged nationwide scheme, according to a release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Massachusetts.
Federal agents secretly recorded telephone calls with Huffman and a cooperating witness, which allegedly show Huffman agreeing to pay the large sum of money in order to help Sofia, 18, get a higher SAT score, the indictment states.
WATCH: William H Macy Arrives at Federal Courthouse in LA

WILLIAM H. MACY DISHES ON FELICITY HUFFMAN PARENTING & CALLS DAUGHTER 'SMART AS WHIPS' IN 2017 INTERVIEW
FELICITY HUFFMAN AND LORI LOUGHLIN AMONG DOZENS INDICTED IN ALLEGED COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCAM

RELATED: Felicity Huffman’s Husband Discussed “Stressful” College Admission Process Before Bribery Scandal

Mamet goes on to outline how he’s known and worked with Macy for over 50 years and has known Huffman for 35. Mamet sympathizes with Huffman for wanting to do what she thought was best for her child, even if he says it was bad judgment.
“That a parent’s zeal for her children’s future may have overcome her better judgment for a moment is not only unfortunate, it is, I know we parents would agree, a universal phenomenon,” Mamet wrote. “If ever there were a use for the Texas Verdict, this is it. For the uninitiated, the Texas Verdict is: ‘Not Guilty, but Don’t do it Again.’ “
Huffman’s next preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 29 at a Boston court, Deadline reportedthis link opens in a new tab.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 13 Mar 2019, 21:54

Well now...........

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/boeing-737-trump-airplane-crash-government-shutdown-ethiopian-airlines-tweet-a8820991.html

January article:

https://www.flyingmag.com/government-shutdown-causing-crisis-in-aviation-industry

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 21:59

[size=36][size=36]Boeing 737: Trump's government shutdown delayed fixes to airplane involved in multiple deadly crashes

Fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash follows multiple warnings from US pilots to Washington during shutdown of 'significantly reduced' oversight

[/size][/size]

• Chris RiottaNew York @chrisriotta

• 3 hours ago 

• 871 shares

• 25 comments

[size][size]

Click to follow
The Independent US
[/size][/size]
[size=19][size=19]Boeing has announced plans to release a software update for its MAX fleets that may fix reported flaws in the new planes’ automated safety features following a second deadly crash in just five months.
Though the cause of the latest accident remains under investigation, the plane company said in a press conference on Tuesday it had been working on the update over “the past several months” to address a feature that reportedly caused one of its 737 MAX planes to nose-dive into the ocean last year, killing everyone on board. The two pilots on that Lion Air flight struggled to correct the issue as the plane plunged into the sea, according to investigators. 

The fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash, which also killed all 157 passengers on the flight, followed the US government shutdown — the longest of its kind in American history — in which pilots warned Donald Trump and Congressional leadership that “certification and work on safety-related airworthiness directives” had been stalled by the federal closure. 

A coalition of nearly 61,000 pilots wrote in multiple letters to the government during the shutdown that oversight at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had been “significantly reduced” or halted outright. 

“There are also airline and aircraft manufacturing oversight activities that either stop or are significantly reduced,” the pilots association warned the White House in early January. “These safety and oversight inspections will potentially allow for the introduction of safety issues that put passengers and airline crews at risk.”

Plane crash kills 157 in Ethiopia

Show all 15

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Ethiopia-crash-5.jpg?width=1000&height=614&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70&crop=16:9,offset-y0
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Ethiopia-crash-3
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Ethiopia-8
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Ethiopia-crash-2

In another letter sent to Mr Trump, Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell just eight days later, the pilots said that oversight systems “critical to resolving identified issues” had been suspended due to a furlough involving “FAA staff who certify the safety of aircraft,” Quartz reported. 

Airline regulators with the European Union — a group that typically provides standards for worldwide aviation safety, according to the outlet — said an “unsafe condition” had been discovered on the Boeing 737, 8 and 9 planes in an updated “airworthiness directive” to US operators after last year’s crash involving Lion Air. 
growing number of countries have grounded the Boeing 737 MAX, including China, Australia, South Korea, Singapore, Indonesia and more. The US continued allowing the models to be used in commercial flights, meanwhile, until Mr Trump issued an emergency order grounding the MAX fleets on Wednesday afternoon. 

Watch more

[/size][/size]

• The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 737-max-air-to-air-990x660
    Pilots across world raised fears over Boeing 737 MAX 8 before crash

[size][size]

Mr Trump forced the government into a partial temporary shutdown over his demands for a wall to be built with Congressional funds across the US-Mexico border after failing to receive enough support for his campaign promise from lawmakers. 
The president has since declared a national emergency, allowing him to circumvent Congressand withdraw money from other federal funds in order to build the wall. The declaration faces a lengthy, nationwide legal battle which could prevent that process from moving forward, however. 

Support free-thinking journalism and subscribe to Independent Minds

The White House did not return requests for comment. 
[/size][/size]

[size][size]
We’ll tell you what’s true. You can form your own view.
At The Independent, no one tells us what to write. That’s why, in an era of political lies and Brexit bias, more readers are turning to an independent source. Subscribe from just 15p a day for extra exclusives, events and ebooks – all with no ads.[/size][/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 22:00

[size=36]Government Shutdown Causing Crisis in the Aviation Industry[/size]
GAMA is warning that the impasse in Washington could have a crippling effect on general aviation.
By Stephen Pope January 24, 2019

4 Comments

The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Us-capitol
The government shutdown is impacting aircraft manufacturers' ability to certify new airplanes and could begin impacting pilot recurrent training.
Wikimedia Commons
As the partial government shutdown that began on December 22 enters its second month, aviation industry leaders are warning that the negative impacts from the political fight over money for a border wall could be severe, affecting everything from new aircraft development and avionics certifications to aircraft deliveries and even pilot training.
Aircraft manufacturers have been forced to stop development of new aircraft and technologies because key FAA personnel are unable to issue aircraft certification and validation approvals, said the General Aviation Manufacturers Association, which represents OEMs. For every week the shutdown drags on, the aviation industry will likely feel the impact for several additional weeks.
“The impact of this shutdown is real and growing on the general aviation manufacturing and maintenance industry,” GAMA said in a statement. “Even if the shutdown ends soon, it will likely take months for our industry to recover from the delays caused by the shutdown." Given that FAA resources are tightly scheduled and planned, "any movement from that schedule causes a cascading of delays through the aviation system and certification timelines.”
GAMA said it is also beginning to receive initial reports of potential layoffs, particularly among smaller aviation businesses. “Our member companies have shared there are significant economic impacts from this shutdown on their businesses, and the overall industry and economy, that will grow each day the shutdown continues,” the association warned.

Despite some FAA personnel being recalled, most of the FAA staff who certify the safety of aircraft are still furloughed. “This,” said GAMA, “halts the review of design approvals, development of new or revised policy/guidance, and approval of issue papers that are critical to aircraft and other product certification.”
Additionally, authorizations required to operate aircraft after delivery cannot be issued. As a result, the lapse in FAA funding is impacting aircraft deliveries.
“GAMA companies estimate that under the best of circumstances, there will be a three-to-four-week impact on certification programs for every week of the shutdown,” GAMA said.
Want more news like this?

By submitting above, you agree to 
our privacy policy.

Other parts of the industry are feeling the effects of the shutdown as well. The FAA is unable to approve training manual revisions, cannot authorize training center evaluators, and will not be able to re-certify flight simulators. Without these approvals, training centers are no longer able to provide new or recurrent pilot training. The FAA also cannot inspect or certify repair station certificates for initial issuance, transfer or approval for changes. Without these approvals and certifications, repair stations are not able to fully operate, GAMA noted. The FAA is also prevented from processing non-routine aircraft registrations because its lawyers have been furloughed.
President Donald Trump and many Republicans are insisting that a bill to reopen the government include money for a border wall. Democrats say that won’t happen. The fear in the aviation industry is that if the shutdown continues for months, or even years, as the president has speculated, it could cause permanent damage across the industry as companies are unable to certify new products, pilots can’t undergo recurrent training, workers are laid off and air traffic controllers quit their jobs to find work that will deliver a paycheck.
Tags: 

• GAMA 

• Aviation News 

READ COMMENTS (4)

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 13 Mar 2019, 22:13

LizzyNY wrote:No wonder they had to buy her way into USC. She's an idiot.

It's like they sold IQ points to the devil in exchange for being stupid rich.

Huffman could have paid an SAT coach $860 and gotten close to the same result.  Six weeks, 200 points, or your money back.

And I'm assuming that half million from the Full House/Hallmark Network lady and her husband had to be divided among many, many people in the USC athletic department.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 14 Mar 2019, 03:28

Where Lori Loughlin is concerned, you'd think they'd know their kid well enough to know she'd rather be a Kardashian than a college grad. Why go through all that mess to get her somewhere she flat out said she didn't want to go? Sadly there are too many kids like her clogging up our colleges while the kids who really want and deserve to be there can't get in.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 14 Mar 2019, 06:46

LizzyNY wrote:Where Lori Loughlin is concerned, you'd think they'd know their kid well enough to know she'd rather be a Kardashian than a college grad. Why go through all that mess to get her somewhere she flat out said she didn't want to go? Sadly there are too many kids like her clogging up our colleges while the kids who really want and deserve to be there can't get in.
... and every one of these kids blocked another one from going to one of these universities, one who really deserved to go there.

But hasn't this system worked for a long time? How many donations have been made to universities with the expectation that their kids or grandchildren would be accepted? Wings of university hospitals, professorshipsand chairs named after families because of what?  How many letters, e-mails and phonecalls are made every year to heads of colleges and universities reminding them how their families have always supported them. Which is not as obvious as paying them, but isn't that different.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 14 Mar 2019, 09:49

They have been doing this for years, it's mentioned every now and them. i guess since this is so widely spread it made the news and since arrests were made.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 14 Mar 2019, 09:59

https://people.com/crime/italian-protests-court-rules-woman-too-ugly-masculine-raped/

[size=48]Italian Court Ruling That a Woman Was 'Ugly' and 'Too Masculine' to be Raped Sparks Outrage[/size]
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F03%2Fitalian-court-2this link opens in a new tab
Protesters outside of Ancona's court in Italy
Giusy Marinelli/Ropi via ZUMA
After a 2017 ruling was unsealed, revealing that two men were cleared of rape charges due to the woman's undesirable appearance, nearly 200 protestors showed up to the Ancona courthouse
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 0a425ec3622a62684cd55741f7d739fb?s=300&d=blank&r=g
By
JOELLE GOLDSTEIN this link opens in a new tab
March 14, 2019 12:08 AM

A massive crowd of protestors showed up to an Italian courthouse this week in response to a ruling that cleared two men of rape charges due to the alleged victim’s undesirable appearance.
Though the case occurred two years ago, the shocking ruling was brought to light on Monday after Italy’s highest appeal court ordered the decision be overturned and the case retried, The Guardian reportsthis link opens in a new tab. Close to 200 people gathered in the town of Ancona to protest the original decision.
“It’s shameful, but to get almost 200 people at the protest was a miracle for Italy,” Cinzia Molinaro, the woman’s lawyer, told the outlet. “Fortunately, it shows that sensitivity towards such topics is becoming stronger.”
In 2015, two men were accused of raping a 22-year-old Peruvian woman, whose name has not been publicly released, the outlet said. They appeared in court for the first time in 2016 until the decision to acquit them was made by a group of all-female judges in 2017.

The three Ancona court judges claimed that the alleged victim’s story was not “credible” enough since she looked “too masculine” to be raped, according to thethis link opens in a new tab Italian wire service Ansa General News.
The Serious Side - part 7 - Page 7 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F03%2Fitalian-court-1upreme Court of Cassation in Rome
Their arguments were reportedly based on a photograph on the woman, as well as the two men allegedly stating that they were not attracted to her. One of the defendants even allegedly had the woman’s name in his phone under “Viking,” The Guardian said.

Speaking to the outlet, Molinaro said she was sickened by their decision, which is why she referred it to the Supreme Court of Cassation.
“It was disgusting to read; the judges expressed various reasons for deciding to acquit them, but one was because the [defendants] said they didn’t even like her because she was ugly. They also wrote that a photograph [of the woman] reflected this,” she told The Guardian.
According to Molinaro, her client’s drink was spiked with drugs during a group encounter at a bar after an evening class. She also explained that doctors believed her injuries were “consistent with rape” and found a high level of benzodiazepines in her blood.

IF COLTON PROPOSED TO CASSIE TOMORROW, WOULD SHE SAY YES?

Benzodiazepines are prescribed depressant medications, often used to treat anxiety and depression, the Center for Substance Abuse Research (CESAR)this link opens in a new tabreports. Because of their sedative properties, they can be potentially abused, especially if combined with alcohol.
CESAR also reported that a particular benzodiazepine called flunitrazepam, which goes by the trade name Rohypnol, is often referred to as “the date-rape drug” because of its use in sexual assaults.

It is not clear, however, what specific benzodiazepine was found in her bloodstream.
RELATED: Everything You Need to Know About the Women’s March 2019: Locations, Speakers and Recent Controversy
The woman eventually left Ancona and moved back to Peru because of how badly she was ostracized for reporting the men, Molinaro said.
Her case will be reheard by a court in Perugia, according to The Guardian. At this time, it is not clear whether the woman will be in attendance.
Molinaro did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next