George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptyMon 06 May 2024, 22:08 by benex

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story

Go down

George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story Empty George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story

Post by Mazy Sat 08 Mar 2014, 03:35

George Clooney's 'The Monuments Men' Highlights Local's Story

Posted: Mar 06, 2014 5:36 PM EST
By Ali Killam, Reporter

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- Perhaps you've heard of the feature film, "The Monuments Men."

It's not only a movie, but a blockbuster piece of history with an amazing and little-known connection to a Rochester family.
George Clooney brought the story of "The Monuments Men" to the big screen.

It's the big screen chronicle of a real life story: seven men risking their lives on the front lines of World War II to rescue the greatest pieces of art and architecture our planet has ever known.

One of these Monuments Men was played by Bill Murray in the film, his real name was Ralph Hammett and he lived here in Rochester with his family.

Hammett's grandson, Frank Allen, knew of his grandfather's past as a world-renowned architect, but his role as a Monument Man came as a surprise.

"At Christmas four years ago, I open up my Christmas present, and out comes a book and you know as a parent you always want your kids to read more," says Allen.

That's right. He discovered his grandfather's heroism through The Monuments Men book by Robert Edsel.
"And then two years later we find out George Clooney is making this movie."

In the movie, Ralph Hammett, or Richard Campbell, as the movie character is called, is portrayed as a soldier not be the most able for battle.

In reality, Hammett served in WWI as a lieutenant and was called upon more than twenty years later for this seemingly absurd operation.

"Once World War II started, I think these guys started talking on the phone or started to collaborate and realized, that, somebody needs to protect this," says Allen.

It leaves the question of just how well the movie sticks to history.

"I think what George Clooney did with the script was really merge people together," explains Allen.

Hammett actually was in charge of the Louvre, and recovering pieces all throughout France, The Netherlands and Belgium taken by the Nazi regime. He also worked with one of the other major characters in the film, played by Cate Blanchett.

Her role in the film was actually very similar to Hammett's while he served in Europe.

"She logged everything and that's something my grandfather did in England when the war initially broke out, you know, he and I'm sure a number of others were documenting , keeping a log of where these paintings, where they were," says Allen.

Those logs made Hammett a hero of history.

Hammett passed away in 1984, but left a legacy of adventurers and art crusaders.

A part of that legacy can be found in none other than Frank Allen himself.

"You know, you want to leave this earth better than you found it, and at the same time you want to leave this earth with, being able to enculturate people."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down