George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock

+4
party animal - not!
Joanna
melbert
Mazy
8 posters

Go down

Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock Empty Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock

Post by Mazy Tue 15 Oct 2013, 21:12

Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock
MOVIES | By Todd Cunningham on October 14, 2013 @ 12:41

Warner Bros. marketers made it a “must-see-in-3D” movie — and it didn’t hurt that critics and audiences loved it

In the box office world, having a movie hold onto 50 percent of its opening weekend gross is the gold standard. “Gravity” went platinum this weekend.

The best box-office debut ever in October was a tough act to follow, but the second-week performance of Warner Bros.’ space thriller may be even more impressive. It brought in an estimated $44.3 million over the weekend, just 21 percent down from its $55.7 million debut, the best retention rate ever for a film that opened to more than $50 million.

To put that in perspective, look at the year’s three biggest movies. “Iron Man 3” fell 58 percent in its second weekend after opening with $174 million. “Man of Steel” plummeted 64 percent from its $116 million debut. Even the family film “Despicable Me 2” dropped 47 percent from its $83 million first weekend. “Marvel’s The Avengers” fell 50 percent in its second week last year, according toBoxOffice Mojo.

What did the Sandra Bullock-George Clooney space epic have that those summer blockbusters didn’t when it came to second-week staying power?

The 3D and Imax, along with through-the-roof word of mouth, are the biggest factors, and the combination created a perfect storm over the past three days. And Warner Bros. marketing team successfully sold the concept that “Gravity” had to be seen in 3D or on a giant screen to be fully appreciated.

“The credit goes to the movie,” Warner Bros. President of Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution Sue Kroll told TheWrap Monday, “and it’s still driving the campaign.

“From the first time we saw it, there was a collective ‘Oh my god, this is spectacular, unlike anything else we’ve seen in 3D,’ and we knew that was how we’d sell it.”

With its visually stunning panoramas, the space epic is ideally suited for the added dimension and director Alfonso Cuaron takes breathtaking advantage. Still, convincing the masses – particularly the over-35 crowd that has made up the bulk of its audience so far – to don those plastic glasses is no small feat.

“Not everyone’s experiences with 3D have been great,” Kroll said. “I’m not a huge fan myself, but I loved this one. This movie made it easy to sell the fact that 3D really would enhance the experience, because it really did. Nobody was coming out of the theaters and saying, ‘Don’t bother with it.’”

Kroll and her team took advantage of the massive debut by pushing positive 3D reaction quotes on social media and in commercials. The buzz from the record opening built through last week, as the film posted $6 million weekdays, the sort of numbers summer tentpole movies put up.

The studio stacked the deck at the multiplexes. It added 85 locations, with more than 75 percent of its market-high 3,660 theaters featuring the format, and it paid off handsomely. Roughly 82 percent – or $36.2 million – of the grosses came from 3D. “Gravity” also brought in $9 million from Imax, the best second week ever, besting the $8.9 million second lap of “The Dark Knight Rises” last year.

Kroll and her team successfully walked a fine line and kept the focus on the technique of Cuaron, rather than the technology behind the “Gravity.” Last year, when “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” came out, static over the high-speed frame rate cut into the buzz for Peter Jackson’s Middle Earth epic.
“There are aspects and details of the technology that we haven’t revealed yet, and that’s to keep the focus on the film and not take away from the experience of seeing it,” she said.
But wasn’t all the visuals.

“Once we got past the wow of it all, we knew we could sell this beyond the 3D. We knew that if we did our job right, there was something for everyone,” Kroll said.

Both critics, who have it at an incredible 97 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, and audiences, who gave it an “A” CinemaScore, loved the movie.

The Oscar talk around the film and its director and stars has given it a prestige aura — it packed the Academy’s screening seat-for-seat —  and contributed to the “event” feel. Bullock’s box-office appeal is peaking, and her presence in the film helped draw women who might otherwise have passed on a lost-in-space saga.

“The 3D aspect of this film has been great, but I’m convinced we wouldn’t be where we are today if this weren’t great storytelling,” said Kroll.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock Empty Re: Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock

Post by melbert Sun 10 Nov 2013, 19:08

AND, Gravity is STILL in the top 10!!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thor: The Dark World Hammers Weekend Box Office Foes with $86 Million

Truth rating: 10

Bad Grandpa Free Birds Last Vegas Thor: The Dark World

12:20 pm, November 10th, 2013

Thor: The Dark World hammered the box office competition to a big weekend win.

The superhero sequel hit $86 million in its debut.

That total easily outpaced Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa ($11.3 million), which ranked second.

The animated Free Birds ($11.2 million) and Last Vegas ($11.1 million) battled it out for third and fourth places, respectively.

The sci-fi adaptation Ender’s Game landed ($10.3 million).

Rounding out the Top 10 were Gravity ($8.4 million), 12 Years a Slave ($6.6 million), Captain Phillips ($5.8 million), About Time ($5.2 million), and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 ($2.8 million).
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock Empty Re: Behind ‘Gravity’s’ Historic Box Office Hold, 3D, Word-of-Mouth and Sandra Bullock

Post by Joanna Sun 10 Nov 2013, 19:49

I'm seeing it on Monday but not in 3D as I know
My poorly eye won't like it.
But it'll still be good without it.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 10 Nov 2013, 19:58

Me too, Jo! At the IMAX - will be hiding under the seat, I think......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Sun 10 Nov 2013, 20:03

Yep I may finally get to see it Wednesday -
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 10 Nov 2013, 21:21

party animal - not! wrote:Me too, Jo! At the IMAX - will be hiding under the seat, I think......
Don't forget your Kwells then !! Lol

Imagine Perfect Storm in 3D now....wow !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 10 Nov 2013, 21:36

right!
time to re-do Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Sun 10 Nov 2013, 21:38

I will be taking a Stemitil tablet to ward off my vertigo prior to movie commencing, otherwise I will just have to stay in the cinema until symptoms wear off.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 10 Nov 2013, 22:13

It's a dilemma, no wonder it made so much money I think a lot of peeps had to see it twice.

I was so mesmerised by the floating about and space stuff .... I just kept saying to myself "how do they do that" and to a degree missed out on the spiritual part of the story ,I knew was there, and would under normal circumstances be right up my Ally.....but I was mesmerised, my eyes certainly got the better of my ears...

I suffer a tiny wee bit of vertigo, but really did not find it uncomfortable ... So go the full 3D. It's not a problem honestly....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 10 Nov 2013, 22:19

And engaging with characters in ungainly space suits, caring about them... How the F*** did they manage that .. It's a fascination, a conundrum, wrapped up in space....

Last edited by what would he say on Sun 10 Nov 2013, 22:21; edited 1 time in total
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 10 Nov 2013, 22:19

twice! good idea
but .... my wallet....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 10 Nov 2013, 22:38

It's a strange movie, like food poisoning, it doesn't impact till sometime later, but that could just be me.
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Sun 10 Nov 2013, 22:48

Maybe because it delves into existentialism.
It's a survival story unlike any other.

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sun 10 Nov 2013, 22:54

Yep, putting it plainly, that could be it... Who knows..
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down