George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends?

+5
Best in Category
watching
Joanna
lelacorb
Katiedot
9 posters

Go down

Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? Empty Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends?

Post by Katiedot Mon 15 Oct 2012, 08:19

Some interesting comments from another thread that I thought might be of interest:

Missa wrote:Even so, I do think the "George has a need to outshine his dates" is an interesting theory.
theminis wrote:Missa - from my point of view he would have absolutely no trouble outshining any date - and I've read something similar somewhere before, that he would not like to feel that he has to compete for the limelight within a relationship, therefore no A-listers. Can't remember where I read that, but probably will as soon as I go to bed!
fava wrote:I'm not sure he has to outshine his date--maybe his ego is that big. I've always thought he does not date another A-listed because it would escalate the press intrusion on his life to a point where it would be almost unbearable.
melbert wrote:I've said a time or two or ten that George dates who he dates as they appear less intelligent, less talented, have less money, and even though they have been decent to look at, they don't have George's "looks". He doesn't want the competition and he wants to be the one who appears to help them. They need to ride on his coat tails and he needs to open the doors for them. He's already made it in Hollywood, they WANT to make it in Hollywood. It appears to be a win/win situation for them both. He gets whatever it is he needs from them, and they get the brief fame they desire from him. Not saying it's right, not saying it's wrong. If they were children I'd call it playground games. Is it his ego? Is it his inability or lack of desire to commit to a long-term relationship?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? Empty Re: Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends?

Post by Katiedot Mon 15 Oct 2012, 08:23

I'm on the fence on this one.

It's so common for actors to date other actors that it's almost a cliche but it's not mandatory. I'm not sure why George has to date another a-lister just for the sake of status or whatever it is that people are expecting from him.

I also find it offensive that because his girlfriends aren't as rich or famous as he is, that they're somehow inferior to him or not worthy.

Couldn't it simply be that George likes being with 'civilians' and without the razzle-dazzle fuss that dating another celeb brings with it?

On the other hand, I can't help thinking that his ego driving him to want to be the star in a relationship is the right answer, but I can't give you any concrete reasons for why I feel this.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends? Empty Re: Does George Clooney feel the need to outshine his girlfriends?

Post by lelacorb Mon 15 Oct 2012, 09:50

I think he's just attracted to a certain type of girl who is not attracted to women famous not so much for fear that they might obscure his fame, but because, although they live in, he somehow avoids the Hollywood life. I also believe that he wants the girl to him and willing to make his life difficult as he agrees to participate in the life dll'altra person with Alister and this would not be possible. I think also that he did not do anything in terms of work for these girls but the mass media to make them famous and then appealing from the world of entertainment. If tomorrow Stacy did a show would be a success because, who out of curiosity, some to criticize her, who to say she can not do anything at all but would watch the show and share it up! ah forgot ..... but George Clooney is capable of love? George is passionate? I'm not so sure last year it seems to me that he is not the peace of mind!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:31

Katie, I go along with what you wrote about George liking
being with "civilians", as his group of close friends don't include any big Hollywood names....as far as we know anyway.

I know some visit his Como villa for holidays, but that seems to be a generous gesture of providing a lovely holiday venue.

BTW....For the first time I saw Talia Balsam in an acting role last night in Homeland and while she is an attractive woman with a pleasant voice, I couldn't imagine her and George together now.

A strange reaction I thought...Lol
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:51

I don’t know if I would say he wants to outshine them otherwise wouldn’t he choose women that raise him up in the public eye and make him look better?? You know, rather than the current spate of women on his arm where his dating preferences, the age of the women, their careers involving little or no clothing pre-George, how they all seem to come onto the scene in the months leading up to an Oscar campaign and the repetitive nature of his relationships is so openly mocked by commentators and bloggers alike? That doesn’t help his image or public profile.

I think in part, he like women who are impressed with the lifestyle as he is still on some level, the kid from Ohio who was a struggling actor in LA for so long he never thought he would “make” it and is well aware his success comes down to luck and the way he looks. I don’t think he would be overly attracted to someone who could afford his lifestyle and perks that come along with it or took that lifestyle as the everyday way of life. I think likes the women to be impressed with his life and his belongings because Lord knows he isn’t offering up anything of substance in these relationships. They enjoy the perks, he gets laid. Maybe the gf's getting excited about swanky hotel rooms, designer gowns, private planes or 5 star vacations reminds him how far he has come so he doesn’t ever start taking it for granted……

On the other hand, I do think he like to be in control and having a gf who is sort of in the industry and seems to have experience handing herself in the public eye is a positive but he doesn’t want someone who is going to steal his spotlight or be the focus of the attention. He has worked too damn hard and sacrificed to build the image of “George Clooney, the Last Hollywood Movie Star” for too long to go date someone in the industry where he is relegated to being the handbag and being her plus one. His ego couldn’t handle that. At All.
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:40

He naturally does that Very Happy

Don´t know about the need
It is many times the same thing with regular guys. They want to be "the stars" in their relationships, ones who support the family.

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Mon 15 Oct 2012, 13:08

watching wrote:I don’t know if I would say he wants to outshine them otherwise wouldn’t he choose women that raise him up in the public eye and make him look better?? You know, rather than the current spate of women on his arm where his dating preferences, the age of the women, their careers involving little or no clothing pre-George, how they all seem to come onto the scene in the months leading up to an Oscar campaign and the repetitive nature of his relationships is so openly mocked by commentators and bloggers alike? That doesn’t help his image or public profile.

I think in part, he like women who are impressed with the lifestyle as he is still on some level, the kid from Ohio who was a struggling actor in LA for so long he never thought he would “make” it and is well aware his success comes down to luck and the way he looks. I don’t think he would be overly attracted to someone who could afford his lifestyle and perks that come along with it or took that lifestyle as the everyday way of life. I think likes the women to be impressed with his life and his belongings because Lord knows he isn’t offering up anything of substance in these relationships. They enjoy the perks, he gets laid. Maybe the gf's getting excited about swanky hotel rooms, designer gowns, private planes or 5 star vacations reminds him how far he has come so he doesn’t ever start taking it for granted……

On the other hand, I do think he like to be in control and having a gf who is sort of in the industry and seems to have experience handing herself in the public eye is a positive but he doesn’t want someone who is going to steal his spotlight or be the focus of the attention. He has worked too damn hard and sacrificed to build the image of “George Clooney, the Last Hollywood Movie Star” for too long to go date someone in the industry where he is relegated to being the handbag and being her plus one. His ego couldn’t handle that. At All.

I frankly do not seem to offer to her girls a great lifestyle on vacation. George has a beautiful home in Laglio but then what are her girls on vacation: a cruise on the lake (with guests) dinner at a restaurant and a ride and all this for two months. D 'Cabo winter is always the same resort and always with the same friends. All this for years. I do not know Stacy, but Ely was definitely the most beautiful first holiday to be with him, Sardinia, Capri, Ibiza, Formentera, Brazil, Caribbean always in the best resorts or beautiful yacht with a lot of friends. I sincerely believe that these women (even if they are madly in love with him!) End up bored and they need to escape to Greece to have fun!
lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 15 Oct 2012, 13:42

Lots of people go to their favourite place for holidays and when they have a second home there....well, that's why they've got one there, because they love being there.

Maybe he took EC to other places...if true, do we know that....because she got bored easily ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Mon 15 Oct 2012, 15:53

Joanna wrote:Lots of people go to their favourite place for holidays and when they have a second home there....well, that's why they've got one there, because they love being there.

Maybe he took EC to other places...if true, do we know that....because she got bored easily ?

I think the same happened to Stacy! Greece has stopped the bridesmaid dresses and wore the clothes of a happy girl to live!
lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by macs Mon 15 Oct 2012, 16:21

Katiedot wrote:I'm on the fence on this one.

It's so common for actors to date other actors that it's almost a cliche but it's not mandatory. I'm not sure why George has to date another a-lister just for the sake of status or whatever it is that people are expecting from him.

I also find it offensive that because his girlfriends aren't as rich or famous as he is, that they're somehow inferior to him or not worthy.

Couldn't it simply be that George likes being with 'civilians' and without the razzle-dazzle fuss that dating another celeb brings with it?

On the other hand, I can't help thinking that his ego driving him to want to be the star in a relationship is the right answer, but I can't give you any concrete reasons for why I feel this.

well i guess wether he needs to or not, he does outshine them (maybe that's a facts of physics, or some law of nature... he can't do much about it LOL)
where i am personnaly on the fence is about this girl next door/civilians thing : as soon as they date GC, those girls are definitly not anymore, so I wonder how this fits int othings (well... not sure it does have to fit anyway but...). Of course they stop living a "normal" life once they start dating GC, but he gave them that whole red carpet treatment ... that sort of create the exact same " razzle-dazzle fuss " that comes with dating in hollywood, that there's not so much difference (at least in my eyes)
macs
macs
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Mon 15 Oct 2012, 16:48

IMO I think G's current choice of women is to show he still has the "it" factor. He is up against a new generation of sexy younger men and he needs to keep himself out it public view. I admire the films he makes, but other than the Ocean films they do not fill the theaters. I hope he continues to make quality films. As for his dating choices, I don't know him but I think he takes the easy way. He knows gf's will benefit from being with him (perhaps that feeds his ego-he can help them and it means he still has clout in H'wood). I also think his choice reflects his unwillingness to work on an emotional attachment. In truth we really don't know.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Mon 15 Oct 2012, 23:22

lelacorb wrote:I frankly do not seem to offer to her girls a great lifestyle on vacation. George has a beautiful home in Laglio but then what are her girls on vacation: a cruise on the lake (with guests) dinner at a restaurant and a ride and all this for two months. D 'Cabo winter is always the same resort and always with the same friends. All this for years. I do not know Stacy, but Ely was definitely the most beautiful first holiday to be with him, Sardinia, Capri, Ibiza, Formentera, Brazil, Caribbean always in the best resorts or beautiful yacht with a lot of friends. I sincerely believe that these women (even if they are madly in love with him!) End up bored and they need to escape to Greece to have fun!

Sorry I might not have been clear. I think George likes to offer the "lifestyle package". He likes that people are continually impressed by what he has - feeds into his ego. None of the women he has dated has this type of lifestyle available to them 24/7 through their own work and paid for by the woman. there is always an older man somewhere picking up the tab. George provides them with the money, the contacts, the clothes, the opportunities, the dinners, the allowance, the attention - not just what happens on vacation. He foots the bills for everything. When you think about it, it's simply a Sugardaddy situation. And just like in that situation, the man is the one completely in control as he holds the purse strings. She says no, puts on weight, refuses to play second fiddle - she is out the door in a heartbeat.
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 16 Oct 2012, 00:34

Am I right in thiking that GC said in the Howard Stern interview that he would never go out with his/a leading lady cos it would cause problems on set, or it would be like taking your work home. Maybe I'm imagining it..............

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 16 Oct 2012, 01:01

Katiedot wrote:I'm on the fence on this one.

I think the fact that dating A-list costars is so common is what makes it so odd that George never really has, at least publicly. He kind of sticks out as one of the few celebrities who hasn't dated another celebrity of the same caliber. Why? I also think that if he wanted to be with someone who doesn't cause a razzle dazzle fuss, he'd be with actual civilians, not lower level celebrities who NEED the fuss to keep their names in the paper and their careers going.

Joanna wrote:Katie, I go along with what you wrote about George liking
being with "civilians", as his group of close friends don't include any big Hollywood names....as far as we know anyway.

I know some visit his Como villa for holidays, but that seems to be a generous gesture of providing a lovely holiday venue.

BTW....For the first time I saw Talia Balsam in an acting role last night in Homeland and while she is an attractive woman with a pleasant voice, I couldn't imagine her and George together now.

A strange reaction I thought...Lol

I thought the same thing when I saw her on Mad Men. Probably because she's 50 and looks her age, and we know George won't have that! Actually, even in that picture of the two of them together from when they were married (outside a restaurant or something - it's the only pic I've ever seen of them together), they don't look like a match to me. Something was just off, there.

party animal - not! wrote:Am I right in thiking that GC said in the Howard Stern interview that he would never go out with his/a leading lady cos it would cause problems on set, or it would be like taking your work home. Maybe I'm imagining it..............

I believe he said he it wasn't a good idea to date someone you were working with on a TV show, because when the relationship sours and the show's a hit, you have to keep working together every day for five years. And he doesn't have to date a co-star...there are plenty of successful women he hasn't worked with, or even a director or producer. Anyone with some independent accomplishments in any field would be nice.

I do think there's an element of ego to why he chooses these girls, and a element of what watching mentioned, that he needs someone who is impressed by the razzle dazzle of HIS life, because that's his substitute for actual substance. I still believe there's an element of self-preservation to it as well. If he chooses girls he'd never marry, then he never has to reconsider his position or choose between the woman and the work. None of the women he dates makes that choice difficult, by design.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down