George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
»  George filming new film in UK
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next

+22
PigPen
Way2Old4Dis
party animal - not!
Mazy
LornaDoone
Sevens
LizzyNY
Nicky80
Boshkash
Joanna
GiGi
amaretti
What Would He Say
Carla97
silly girl
blubelle
sisieq
melbert
playfuldeb
it's me
Katiedot
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next Empty Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next

Post by Katiedot Fri 07 Jan 2011, 11:15

This excerpt from SF Chronicle interview with Joel and Ethan Coen confirming that the 'Hail Caesar' project is still only a project.  And is 'rebunk' really a word?  I guess possibly yes, in the Coen bros' world.

'True Grit' success rode on Mattie Ross casting'
Michael Ordoña, Special to The Chronicle

Friday, January 7, 2011

Q: Last thing - you have pretty solidly debunked the myth of "Hail Caesar" ...
EC: Clooney sort of announces to the press that we're making that next, every couple of years.

Q: Would you like to rebunk it here, just to tantalize George Clooney?
JC: Yes! You should print that we're making it without George Clooney.
EC: Who would it be ... Shia LaBeouf? George is too old.

Last edited by Katiedot on Fri 13 Dec 2013, 03:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated thread title)
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next Empty Re: Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next

Post by it's me Fri 07 Jan 2011, 11:36

hehehe....
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next Empty Re: Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next

Post by playfuldeb Sat 08 Jan 2011, 00:25

Ceasar salad - could wear a green leafy toga! Would be fun to watch George manage a toga without exposing himself. Wonder if he'll shave his legs
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 08 Jan 2011, 00:48

shaving his legs? affraid
Noooo! nonono! I guess he never shaved his legs!
(what about the Iwasdressedlikeawoman Flashing shown in some tv series?)
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 08 Jan 2011, 01:41

It's Me, I think you're thinking of The Harvest from 1992 where he was a transvestite.
Deb. he can learn how to handle a toga from Eli, as she is SO good with her shawls.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Sat 08 Jan 2011, 01:42

it's me wrote:shaving his legs? affraid
Noooo! nonono! I guess he never shaved his legs!
(what about the Iwasdressedlikeawoman Flashing shown in some tv series?)

O/T - okay, this one really should NOT be used, IMHO, Flashing as people who are epileptics that one really could harm them.

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 08 Jan 2011, 10:09

oh sorry
it was there
I piked up
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Sat 08 Jan 2011, 21:33

it's me wrote:oh sorry
it was there
I piked up

Wasn't picking on you, was talking to everyone. Very Happy

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Jan 2011, 21:40

he can learn how to handle a toga from Eli, as she is SO good with her shawls.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq Sat 08 Jan 2011, 21:48

purgatoire wrote:
he can learn how to handle a toga from Eli, as she is SO good with her shawls.
cheers

I missed that the first time around. Very funny!!

sisieq

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 08 Jan 2011, 23:20

Of course, I for one wouldn't mind a toga "slip", so I hope that she really taught him well. Twisted Evil
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sun 09 Jan 2011, 21:27

I'm with you Mel. Inquiring minds really need to know.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next Empty Possible new Coen Bros project Hail Caesar with George Clooney

Post by silly girl Thu 12 Dec 2013, 16:33

Coens Say There’s “A Good Chance” That ‘Hail Caesar’ With George Clooney Will Be Next

NEWS BY CHARLIE SCHMIDLIN
DECEMBER 12, 2013 10:04 AM
0 COMMENTS

The benefit of having a career as diverse as the Coen Brothers is that no genre or idea seems outside the realm of possibility for them—if you told us they shot second unit on “Jupiter Ascending” there might be a moment of consideration before dismissing the idea. But a number of potential projects have trickled into press rounds surrounding their excellent new film “Inside Llewyn Davis," and now it seems they may landed for certain on their next venture.

In a recent Q&A by Thompson On Hollywood with the “Inside Llewyn Davis” cast and crew, the directing duo were asked directly about their once rumored project “Hail Caesar," a comedy thought to star George Clooney as a 1920s matinee film idol who takes on an Ancient Rome epic, and to our surprise they claimed its progress is closer than ever. “We’ve been working on that one,” Joel Coen said. “There’s a good chance that would be next.” Ethan Coen even clarified a bit more on the idea, saying “It’s about the movie business and life and religion and faith. Faith and the movie business. It’s still George.”

Conceived as the third film in their “Numbskull Trilogy” following “O Brother Where Art Thou?” and “Intolerable Cruelty," 'Caesar' was up until recently only an idea rather than a finished script; in a 2004 issue of Empire the Coens first confirmed the project’s place in their rotation and added Tim Blake Nelson in with the possible cast. But this newfound confidence in its status, coupled with the recent claim that the directing duo are writing “a sandal movie” set in Ancient Rome, point to these two projects potentially being one and the same.

Either way, Rome and the 1920s are both areas we’d love to see the directors tackle, so if 'Caesar' is as close as it seems to be, hopefully more firm details are coming soon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Thu 12 Dec 2013, 17:02

Oh, that would be great! George has been in some great Coen Bros films: Intolerable Cruelty, Burn After Reading, etc.
This new project would be close at heart for him if set in Italy too. A silent film movie matinee idol like The Artist, (but with sound).
Time for another comedy?  Very Happy 

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 12 Dec 2013, 17:12

Italy?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Thu 12 Dec 2013, 17:15

Ancient Rome? Sandal movie?
Wouldn't it supposedly be set in Italy?

Or at least the "epic film" within the film story line:
were asked directly about their once rumored project “Hail Caesar," a comedy thought to star George Clooney as a 1920s matinee film idol who takes on an Ancient Rome epic...

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 18:06

Comedy of the Roman decadence? It was wild Smile 
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Thu 12 Dec 2013, 19:01

We would get a sneeky peek at those lovely knees........  Embarassed 

AND toga's are notoriously temperamental ..... God Bless Franky ..Up Pompeii ...

What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Thu 12 Dec 2013, 21:52

Fabulous!!!! Love him with the Coen brothers.

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by GiGi Fri 13 Dec 2013, 00:26

Remember George's Caesar haircut? It was almost as popular as the Mullet.
GiGi
GiGi
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 13 Dec 2013, 01:20

Ooh Up Pompeii was BRILLIANT !!!!!!
Thanks for reminding me wwhs X
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Boshkash Fri 13 Dec 2013, 01:23

Great news!! I always loved these trio's work!!

Boshkash
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Fri 13 Dec 2013, 03:05

If he takes this, we know where he will be when it's warm enuff to wear sandals and togas with nothing on underneath!
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 13 Dec 2013, 03:23

Just merging this with the thread we already had on it. Good to see that this may be taking shape now.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Fri 13 Dec 2013, 04:19

Oops I didn't even think there was a thread so I didn't look....this was new to me....oh well...thanks for moving. I am not a huge fans of the Coen Brothers....although their new film looks good. I like the music. This new Caesar project does seem interesting.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 13 Dec 2013, 07:15

Thanks for posting SG. I can't wait for the new haircut  LOL
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 16 May 2014, 21:39

This came out today again. Similar to the report above...wonder why they printed it again

Coen Brothers Set 'Hail Caesar' Next, George Clooney Likely to Star

Before the Coen brothers even made True Grit there was talk of them directingHail Caesar and it seems the time has finally come for the industry-driven comedy.
Deadline reports the film, centering on a "fixer" in Hollywood, circa 1950s, working for the studios to protect the stars of the day, will be the brothers' next film.
The story centers on a man named Eddie Mannix, similar to Hollywood police officer and private investigator Fred Otash who worked forConfidential magazine, using wiretaps to spy on movie stars and gather dirt. Otash was a former lifeguard who became a cop, then helped operate a call girl ring and lost his job as a cop and became a private eye who wiretapped.
Of course, there is also the possibility of the lead character being based on the MGM general manager and vice-president, who holds a connection with the death of "Adventures of Superman" star George Reeves as Mannix was having an affair with Reeves' wife when Reeves allegedly committed suicide.
Back in December 2012 (via The Playlist), during an Inside Llewyn Davis Q&A with Joel and Ethan Coen, the brothers revealed it would most likely be George Clooney playing the lead role. "It's about the movie business and life and religion and faith. Faith and the movie business," Ethan said. As for Clooney's involvement he added, "It's still George."
Clooney has starred for the brothers several times, the latest being Burn After Reading along with films such as O Brother Where Art Thou? andIntolerable Cruelty.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 17 May 2014, 00:09

Maybe this is the Coen brothers' way of letting George know the project is getting closer to reality and he'd better leave some time in his schedule for it because they're expecting him to star.  Smile 

From the synopsis in the last article, it doesn't sound much like a swords & sandals kind of movie - more like a film noir detective flick.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Sat 17 May 2014, 13:32

Hey I bet there're at least five projects waiting in line for George. Which one would he take first since the engagement(or marriage)?
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 17 May 2014, 13:38

Sevens wrote:Hey I bet there're at least five projects waiting in line for George. Which one would he take first since the engagement(or marriage)?

Definitely a Seven Brides for Seven Brothers remake !

Blow horn
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Sat 17 May 2014, 13:44

Some analysis here...
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Sat 17 May 2014, 13:52

Jo...once again I don't get what you said...sorry
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 17 May 2014, 14:24

Sevens - "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" was a big musical movie from the 1950s (I think) where 7 brothers from the mountains kidnap 7 women from town to be their brides - lots of dancing and singing. It was a huge hit and has become a classic.

For some reason, known only to herself , Joanna wants George to star in a remake of this film. IMO, it would probably end his career!   lol!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 19 May 2014, 13:57

Anyone think it interesting that this project suddenly comes to the forefront whilst there is talk about his fiance's pro-Palestine stance?

Almost as if to say, hey, George isn't getting any backlash in Hollywood for marrying a gal who is considered anti-Israel and/or anti-Jewish?

I just think the timing of this is a bit weird given that this film started being discussed several years ago then died down and now is suddenly resurrected.

Perhaps Stan is doing his job?  Perhaps his two friends are willing to help dispel the issue?

See here in the US if you're Pro-Palestine, you are definitely perceived as being anti-Israel.  No shades of grey here, it's pretty black and white.

What worries me is that the Coen Bros are not the big players in this town.  It's folks like Harvey and Steven that rule the roost.  And a whole lot of other Jewish people who have Americanized their names and you don't realize they're Jewish.

Not trying to start a war, just wondering if the timing of this announcement isn't a calculated move on Stan's part to dispel any rumors of his fiance's potential negative affect on his career
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 19 May 2014, 14:08

Lucy....has anything been confirmed that Amal is
Anti Semitic ?
I thought it had been discussed in depth somewhere 
here on COH ?

Is it really a black & white issue in USA as you said ?
Not sounding good that IMO.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Mon 19 May 2014, 14:43

WOW... Jo your avatar rocks!
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 19 May 2014, 17:43

I was fortunate enough to read an early version of the script (after it had been revised to the 1950's studio period piece), and I have to say I think this would not be a good fit for George Clooney. It's written as dark comedy/drama, as you'd expect with a Coen bros project, but I think with George it will come off as a parody of 'Michael Clayton,' which would be horrible enough; but the humor doesn't hit its mark often enough, and in some parts it feels like they're going for 'LA Confidential' -- and missing badly.

I hope he opts out, in favor of getting the Smothers Brothers movie off the ground... followed shortly by 'Our Brand Is Crisis.'

JMHO.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 19 May 2014, 19:05

Way2Old4Dis wrote:I was fortunate enough to read an early version of the script (after it had been revised to the 1950's studio period piece), and I have to say I think this would not be a good fit for George Clooney. It's written as dark comedy/drama, as you'd expect with a Coen bros project, but I think with George it will come off as a parody of 'Michael Clayton,' which would be horrible enough; but the humor doesn't hit its mark often enough, and in some parts it feels like they're going for 'LA Confidential' -- and missing badly.

I hope he opts out, in favor of getting the Smothers Brothers movie off the ground... followed shortly by 'Our Brand Is Crisis.'

JMHO.

You must write to tell him before its too late gal !
He ought to get an outsider view from time to time I think.
"The onlooker sees most of the game" and all that jazz.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 20 May 2014, 01:48

It was all over twitter last night like it is a done deal. However he does have a long list of possibilities pending. I don't know which he might act, direct, or produce or even ones that they will let go.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 20 May 2014, 05:25

Joanna wrote:Lucy....has anything been confirmed that Amal is
Anti Semitic ?
I thought it had been discussed in depth somewhere 
here on COH ?

Is it really a black & white issue in USA as you said ?
Not sounding good that IMO.

I think the discussion focused on the book she co-wrote. I don't know if she's anti Semitic. I just said that the perception here is if you are pro-Palestine then you are anti-Israel.

And yes, I do think it's pretty black and white here in the US especially if you're in the Jewish community. IMO and based on how the news is often portrayed here.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Tue 20 May 2014, 08:50

Well question about someone being antisemitic.
If a person has a muslim mother and druze father, then the person is not christian. (converted, I highly doubt). The holy book is koran, not bible.

What is sure is that a person with such religious background is most definately pro islam and against any critisism toward islam. (Islam is a broader concept than just musulmans.) Whether she practices her religion or not is irrelevant. It´s the perception and thinking overall that is different. Always is.

So enough with that,

about the project, I agree with Joanna, he should at least time to time get a real outsider view. What ever he picks I wish him best of luck and success. I know so little about these directors or movies that I can´t say anything really.  Smile 

Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 20 May 2014, 10:58

Thanks Lorna for your info.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 20 May 2014, 19:37

@Way2Old - How long ago did you see the script? They've had it for so long, I was wondering if possibly they've been tinkering with it all along, Maybe it's improved since you read it? If not, I hope he has the good sense not to do it unless they rework it.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 20 May 2014, 20:09

It read like an early draft. It's been at least a year, maybe going on two, since I read it. So I'm sure it's undergone some changes/improvements. But even a better script wouldn't mean it's right for GC.

But maybe he'd hit it out of the park, and nobody would be reminded of anything previous. What the f##k do I know?

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 20 May 2014, 22:04

Way2Old - Just curious, but how did you come to see the draft? Was it that reminiscent of Michael Clayton?
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 21 May 2014, 02:40

Personally, I hope he would take this role.
Nobody really thought he suited the complicated father role from the Descendants, but he pulled out the performance of his career in that. He also said that role made him feel really uncomfortable.
The more challenging, the less ""George"", the more accomplishments. I trust George&Coens and their talents.

Last edited by Sevens on Wed 21 May 2014, 10:42; edited 1 time in total
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 21 May 2014, 10:21

That's a very good point Sevens.
 Having watched George for 20+ years I've seen the development of his acting ability unfold.
 In the early days his own personality came through.
But Syriana and Good Night and Good Luck were a big changing point IMO.
GN & GL converted my husband too !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Wed 21 May 2014, 21:20

Joanna wrote:That's a very good point Sevens.
 Having watched George for 20+ years I've seen the development of his acting ability unfold.
 In the early days his own personality came through.
But Syriana and Good Night and Good Luck were a big changing point IMO.
GN & GL converted my husband too !

Yes he has become an accomplished actor. He seems to know when a role is not right for him these days. Wish I could remember the article where he said; "I fired myself from that part it wasn't right for me." It might even have been GN&GL. XXX
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 21 May 2014, 21:25

It was, Mazy. He chose not to play Ed Murrow. Didn't think he was the right fit..........I think he was right. Strathearn was brilliant

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 09:41

[size=32]Josh Brolin to star with George Clooney in Coen brothers' 'Hail, Caesar!'[/size]

Joel and Ethan Coen’s latest project is picking up speed.

In an announcement Monday, Universal Pictures confirmed that they had acquired the worldwide distribution rights to Hail, Caesar!, an original screenplay from the Oscar-winning siblings who will also write and direct the film, which, Deadline reported, centers on a 1950s-era Hollywood “fixer” named Eddie Mannix.

Josh Brolin, who starred in No Country for Old Men and True Grit, will join fellow Coen brothers regular George Clooney (Burn After ReadingIntolerable CrueltyO Brother, Where Art Thou?) in the pic.

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next