George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE)

Go down

Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE) Empty Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE)

Post by annemarie Mon 14 Dec 2020, 17:22

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[size=40]Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney’s ‘Midnight Sky’ During Lockdown (EXCLUSIVE)[/size]

[url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat on Scoring George Clooney%E2%80%99s %E2%80%98Midnight Sky%E2%80%99 During Lockdown][/url]

Jazz Tangcay
Mon, December 14, 2020, 11:25 AM EST·2 min read

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Scoring a film can feel like an isolated process — but scoring a film about isolation during a pandemic takes it to a whole new level.
That was the situation for Academy Award-winning composer Alexandre Desplat, who worked with The London Symphony Orchestra on the score for George Clooney’s “The Midnight Sky.”

- ADVERTISEMENT -
In the film, Clooney, who directed and stars, plays Augustine, a lone astronaut who is left in the Arctic after a global catastrophe. He tries to contact a group of astronauts, warning them not to return to Earth.
While recording the score, Desplat had to adapt to the restrictions of quarantine, layering in strings, piano, brass and woodwinds. “We had to record the sections separately, which I am usually reluctant to do, since it twists for the musicians the perception of the overall orchestral sound, dynamics, intonation, phrasing music and is rather frustrating for the director,” he tells Variety. “But COVID was stronger.”
Despat worked remotely with Clooney (who also is a producer on the film) and producer Grant Heslov, who remained in Los Angeles.
“Solrey [Dominique Lemonnier], my artistic producer, and I were in Paris in my studio, and the London Symphony Orchestra … was in London,” he continues. “Not being able to conduct was very sad — it is the most exciting moment for me when the music I have dreamed of for weeks finally, finally comes to life in the same room with the musicians as it unveils, finally flying in the air from the parts they are sight-reading.”
Of the score, Desplat stayed away from a “space sound” or “sci-fi” score. Instead, he went for an intimate, warm and harrowing score, avoiding electronica. “The lush string section of the London Symphony orchestra is at the center of the score’s sound,” Desplat says.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down