George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme

4 posters

Go down

George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme Empty George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme

Post by Admin Fri 02 Oct 2020, 13:38

How cool is this? Just trying to figure out how easy it'll be for us fans to see this - it's on YouTube, so hopefully we'll get to see the whole thing. Whoohooo!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme

The 64th BFI London Film Festival (LFF) in partnership with American Express has today announced an exclusive Screen Talk with renowned actor and filmmaker George Clooney. Clooney will discuss his illustrious and varied career, as well as his latest feature THE MIDNIGHT SKY, at the event which will be free to access both in the UK and internationally via the BFI YouTube channel.

George Clooney is an alumni of the BFI London Film Festival many times over; The Ides of March, The Descendants, Up in the Air and Festival opener and closer respectively, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Good Night and Good Luck, to name a few over recent years. One of the world’s leading actors, he’s also distinguished himself as producer and director with a body of work defined by brilliant craftsmanship, intelligence and sharp political insight, while always being hugely entertaining. Just weeks ahead of the eagerly anticipated THE MIDNIGHT SKY which he both directs and stars in, Clooney takes a break from post-production to reflect on his work, and with thanks to Netflix, give audiences the inside track on THE MIDNIGHT SKY.

THE MIDNIGHT SKY is a post-apocalyptic tale that follows Augustine (George Clooney), a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to stop Sully (Felicity Jones) and her fellow astronauts from returning home to a mysterious global catastrophe. Clooney directs the adaptation of Lily Brooks-Dalton’s acclaimed novel Good Morning, Midnight, co-starring David Oyelowo, Kyle Chandler and Demián Bichir. It will be released by Netflix in December.

As previously announced, Clooney will join actors Riz Ahmed and Letitia Wright as well as filmmakers Miranda July, Christian Petzold, Michel Franco, Tsai Ming-liang, musician and performer David Byrne and artist ES Devlin (as part of LFF Expanded), for a series of LFF Screen Talks offering audiences a rare and unique opportunity to learn about the careers and craftsmanship of these renowned creators in a virtual setting.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme Empty Re: George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme

Post by party animal - not! Fri 02 Oct 2020, 18:15

...So on the 18th...........

Film Festival from October 7-18th

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme Empty Re: George Clooney joins 64th BFI London Film Festival’s Screen Talks Programme

Post by annemarie Fri 02 Oct 2020, 18:56

George Clooney is an alumni of the BFI London Film Festival many times over; The Ides of March, The Descendants, Up in the Air and festival opener and closer respectively, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Good Night and Good Luck, to name a few over recent years. One of the world’s leading actors, he’s also distinguished himself as producer and director with a body of work defined by brilliant craftsmanship, intelligence and sharp political insight, while always being hugely entertaining.

Watch on YouTube
Start timeSunday 18 October 202016:00 BST

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 03 Oct 2020, 09:54

Thanks, guys. Someone remind me, please? I'm getting really excited about George coming out of hibernation to do publicity.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 18 Oct 2020, 15:16

Reminder that it's in 45-minutes, here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Admin
Admin
Admin

hasenrosi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 18 Oct 2020, 16:40

Anybody else watching this? LOVE all the impressions he's doing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 18 Oct 2020, 16:58

He's talking about The Descendants and says that Shailene Woodley is still his daughter. "She's become a huge star since then, but she's STILL my daughter!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 18 Oct 2020, 17:07

Cute story about Paul Newman: just after Leatherheads tanked, Paul Newman crashed one of his race cars, and had a picture made up of his car on the Leatherheads poster [the idea being that both crashed and burned]

He was also very good friends with Gregory Peck and often used to go round to have dinner with him and his wife, Veronique. Says Peck and Newman were for him two of the 'best of Hollywood'.

John Tuturro gets a shout out for being really friendly and helpful.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 18 Oct 2020, 17:12

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 18 Oct 2020, 17:14

I was watching and then in the middle it said video not available.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 18 Oct 2020, 17:16

Wow, they made it private already??
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 18 Oct 2020, 17:18

Kind of wondering what was the point of doing it on YouTube, if they weren't going to allow it to be seen by the public?

Well, we'll keep looking, perhaps they'll share it again later.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 18 Oct 2020, 21:02

A bit more on what he spoke about here:

George Clooney Talks Importance Of Dissent, Upcoming Netflix Pic ‘The Midnight Sky’ & Time He Almost Starred In ‘The Notebook’ With Paul Newman

By Matt Grobar

Matt Grobar

Assistant Editor, Awardsline
[size=11]VIEW ALL

October 18, 2020 9:50am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George Clooney on the set of 'The Midnight Sky' with David Oyelowo and Tiffany BoonePhilippe Antonello/NETFLIX
[size=15]During a virtual screen talk today at the 64th BFI London Film Festival, George Clooney discussed the importance of journalistic integrity, the COVID-19 pandemic, his upcoming Netflix film, The Midnight Sky, and the highlights of his illustrious career.

Throughout the hour-long conversation with Scottish broadcaster Edith Bowman, which centered on a selection of his iconic films—including Out of Sight, O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Good Night, and Good Luck—a prevailing theme was the importance of kindness, and of speaking truth to power, in today’s world.
Speaking to the directors who have most affected him and shaped his career, while taking a break from post-production on his sci-fi pic, Clooney referenced the COVID-19 pandemic, and what it has revealed to him. “We’re sitting in this completely changed world, [where] we find it’s not just about coronavirus, about all the anger and hatred and stuff. You find that you’re really looking for kindness and support around the rest of your life,” said the two-time Oscar winner. “The directors that I’ve enjoyed working with always have had that as a quality.”

Later on, the conversation turned to Good Night, and Good Luck, and Clooney recalled the impetus for making the film—that being the time in the early 2000s when he drew controversy for openly protesting the war in Iraq. “In 2003 and 2004, there were like five or six of us saying this is a terrible idea, and everyone else who thought [that] was keeping quiet,” the actor said. “I just remember that feeling, the idea that the most patriotic thing you can do in the world is to question your government.

“I believe that, and will always believe it,” Clooney added. “I was raised the son of a newsman.”
Referencing the pivotal presidential election in the US that is now just a couple of weeks away, Clooney stressed the importance at this point in time of credible journalism, noting a key difference between the America of today and that of 1953, when the events of Good Night, and Good Luck took place. “It’s an interesting thing because at that time, we had three channels for television news, and they all started with the same set of facts. Now, that’s completely different,” the actor said. “We have the President of the United States trying to say that our mail-in ballots could be fraudulent, which of course, is a felony. And there’s been something like nine [cases of fraud] of a mail-in ballot over the last 40 years. We’re just working with different sets of facts, and I worry about that, because it makes people very sure of themselves.”

In conversation with Bowman, Clooney also went in deep on The Midnight Sky, a film which he had hoped to show on the biggest of screens, prior to the onset of the pandemic. “We shot it on 65[mm] so that we could take it to IMAX,” he told Bowman with regret. “And you got to watch it on a screen about [the size of an iPad].”

Based on a novel by Lily Brooks-Dalton, The Midnight Sky is directed by Clooney, from a script by Mark L. Smith. The post-apocalyptic tale centers on Augustine (Clooney), a lonesome scientist in the Arctic, who races to stop a group of astronauts from returning home to a mysterious global catastrophe.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][size=10]Netflix

Noting that he misses the theatrical viewing experience that has been lost throughout much of this year, Clooney said that the novel initially came to him via the team at Netflix. “The guys at Netflix sent it over to me to act in it. I read it and loved it, and thought I’d actually rather take a swing at directing it,” he explained. “I’d done a couple of space movies, so I knew how complicated the space stuff was going to be, but this one felt like a really intimate story about what mankind is capable of doing to mankind. I also liked the idea of a story of redemption, and this was kind of the ultimate story of redemption.”

The first part of the shoot took place in Iceland, and posed a test of physical endurance, with 70 mph winds, at 40 degrees below zero. An added challenge came when Clooney learned that his co-star Felicity Jones, who was set to portray an astronaut, was pregnant. “I was in the middle of Iceland, really miserable, and she goes ‘So, there’s news. I’m pregnant.’ I’m like ‘Great.’ And then I go, ‘Okay, that complicates things,’” the director shared. “She was so gung-ho. She wanted to do all the wirework. But I was like ‘No, we’re not putting anyone pregnant on a wire.’”

When Clooney learned of Jones’s pregnancy, he initially considered VFX head replacement for some of the actress’s more physically demanding scenes. Ultimately, though, he leaned in and adapted, revising the narrative so that Jones’s Sully had gotten pregnant while in space. “And it changed everything for us,” he said. “It gave us something to lean into for the end of the movie, which I think ends up being a big bonus for us, along the way.”

Noting Clooney’s repeated comments about the importance of having a voice, and not being scared to confront different kinds of material—as he did, once again, with The Midnight Sky—Bowman suggested that his courage and versatility were perhaps the keys to his success, as a director. Clooney agreed. “By the time I got to Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, which was the first thing I directed, I knew specifically what I wanted to do, and how I wanted to do it,” the actor-turned-director said. “And what I never wanted to do was be caught playing things safe.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Philippe Antonello/NETFLIX
Among the choice career anecdotes Clooney shared from his 42-year screen career was a story about his friendship with actor Paul Newman, toward the end of his life. “We were going to do The Notebook together,” Clooney revealed. “Basically, I was going to play him as a young man, and it was funny. We met and said, ‘This is it. It’s going to be great.’”

Subsequently, the actor went home, watched a number of Newman’s iconic films and got intimidated. “He’s one of the handsomest guys you’ve ever seen. We met up [again] and I said, ‘I can’t play you. I don’t look anything like you. This is insane,’” Clooney recalled. ‘We just wanted to do it because we wanted to work together, [but] it ended up being not the right thing for us to do.”

Like Gregory Peck, Newman was an actor Clooney admired for his character, his dignity, as well as his sense of humor. “We had a very funny relationship, late in life for him. I directed a movie that just completely bombed called Leatherheads. [Newman] was still racing at the time, and raced a car, and crashed it,” Clooney said. “So, he took a photo of Leatherheads and superimposed it on the crashed car, and said, ‘I was driving your car in the race.’”

Prior to today’s screen talk, Clooney appeared at the BFI London Film Festival on numerous occasions, with films including The DescendantsThe Ides of March, and Up in the Air. His animated Wes Anderson pic Fantastic Mr. Fox opened the fest in 2009, while Good Night, and Good Luck closed it out in 2005.
Produced by Anonymous Content, Clooney and Grant Heslov’s Smokehouse Pictures and Syndicate Entertainment, The Midnight Sky also stars Kyle Chandler, David Oyelowo, Miriam Shor, Demián Bichir and Tiffany Boone. It is set to debut on Netflix this December.

Up next for Clooney is a feature adaptation of Calico Joe, the 2012 baseball novel written by John Grisham, which he is reportedly looking at as a directing vehicle. The multi-hyphenate will also produce, alongside Heslov and Bob Dylan’s Grey Water Park Productions.

[/size]
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 18 Oct 2020, 23:35

Well, looks like you were lucky if you saw any of it - it looks as though it's not available in the

UK. Maybe it's a copyright thing...........

Managed to get this from the BFI twitter page.....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 19 Oct 2020, 11:42

It's really odd though. I mean, this is the BRITISH film institute. You'da thunk it'd be available in the UK at least. Oh well.

I, at least, had the pleasure of listening to George talk for over an hour and it was a wonderful way to pass a Sunday afternoon.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by benex Tue 20 Oct 2020, 19:56

[size=36]GEORGE CLOONEY: “DOPO BATMAN & ROBIN HO CAPITO CHE ERO RESPONSABILE DEI FILM CHE SCEGLIEVO”[/size]

George Clooney conclude in bellezza il BFI London Film Festival ripercorrendo la sua carriera e anticipando il suo nuovo lavoro, The Midnight Sky, a dicembre su Netflix.

INTERVISTA di VALENTINA D'AMICO — 10 ore fa

Venezia 2017: il regista George Clooney al photocall di Suburbicon

George Clooney interviene al BFI London Film Festival in collegamento streaming da Los Angeles. Il divo confessa di rimpiangere le interviste dal vivo e la presenza del pubblico mentre si guarda intorno sconsolato nella sala riunioni in cui si trova definendo "triste" la situazione, ma ritrova il buon umore quando viene invitato a ripercorrere la sua carriera. "Per guadagnarmi da vivere prendevo 3,33 dollari all'ora per tagliare il tabacco" ricorda. "Quando ho lasciato il Kentucky ero certo di una cosa, nella vita non volevo fare il tagliatore di tabacco. Sono fortunato ad avere avuto una carriera a Hollywood come attore, regista, sceneggiatore e produttore. Chi si trova nella mia posizione e si lamenta avrebbe bisogno di uno psichiatra".

L'intervento di George Clooney al festival è legato al suo nuovo lavoro, il film di fantascienza The Midnight Sky, in arrivo su Netflix a dicembre. "Avendo già fatto un paio di film nello spazio, Solaris e Gravity, sapevo quanto erano complicati" ammette Clooney, che ha interpretato e diretto il film "ma quando Netflix mi ha mandato lo script per propormi di interpretarlo ho apprezzato la storia e l'idea di redenzione alla base del film tanto da decidere di dirigerlo. Il mio personaggio è sopravvissuto a una catastrofe, è isolato. Mia moglie ha tirato un sospiro di sollievo quando ho finito le riprese, odiava i miei capelli rasati".
Il set di The Midnight Sky si è rivelato pieno di sorprese e imprevisti: "Un giorno, mentre ero nel bel mezzo dell'Islanda a 40° sotto zero, col vento a 100 km/h, mi ha telefonato Felicity Jones, che interpreta un'astronauta, per avvertirmi che era incinta. Questo complicava le cose. Lei voleva fare tutto il lavoro coi cavi senza stunt, ma le ho risposto 'Non legheremo una donna incinta a un cavo'. All'inizio ho pensato di sostituirla in CGI nelle scene più impegnative, poi ho deciso di inserire la gravidanza nello script. In due anni e mezzo di viaggio nello spazio faranno sesso, no?"

[size=32]LA GENTILEZZA, LA DOTE PIÙ RIVOLUZIONARIA DI UN REGISTA[/size]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]George Clooney in una scena di Ocean's Thirteen
Per George Clooney il segreto della regia sta nel "rubare ai migliori". I migliori sono i registi che lo hanno diretto in più occasioni, i fratelli Coen in primis, l'amico e sodale Stephen Soderbergh, Alexander Payne e Jason Reitman: "Ho avuto una carriera interessante. Sia da regista che da attore ho vissuto grandissimi successi ed enormi fallimenti. Non sono mai stato il tipico attore d'azione né il comico tradizionale. Il non essere mai catalogato mi ha permesso di interpretare ruoli molto diversi, e anche da regista ho avuto la libertà di sperimentare". Pur avendo lavorato con tanti cineasti di talento, la qualità essenziale che Clooney cerca in un regista non ha a che fare con la competenza: "Non si tratta solo del coronavirus. Oggi il mondo è cambiato, è pieno d'odio e di rabbia. Per sopravvivere occorre trovare gentilezza e sostegno. I registi con cui ho amato lavorare possedevano queste qualità".
Batman & Robin: George Clooney e Chris O'Donnell in una scena del film

Senza dubbio è speciale il legame nato con Steven Soderbergh sul set di Out of Sight, intrigante action movie che ha rappresentato una svolta nella carriera di George Clooney e anche dello stesso Soderbergh: "All'epoca provenivo dal flop di Batman & Robin, Steven era reduce da due flop consecutivi. Batman & Robin mi ha fatto capire che ero responsabile anche della scelta dei progetti, non solo della mia performance. Ho incontrato Soderbergh a casa di Danny De Vito e lui mi ha scelto per Out of Sight. Se glielo chiedete, ancora oggi lo ritiene il suo film migliore".
The Midnight Sky: George Clooney nelle prime foto del film

[size=32]DALL'IDIOTA AUREO DEI COEN AL MASCHIO IN CRISI DI PARADISO AMARO[/size]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]George Clooney in una scena di Fratello, dove sei?
Un altro punto di svolta, per George Cloooney arriva con Fratello, dove sei??, scritto e diretto dai fratelli Coen, che ha appena compiuto vent'anni. "A pensarci è scioccante" ammette il divo. "Sembra ieri che ero sul set. Mentre recitavo in Three kings, i Coen mi hanno chiamato per chiedermi dove fossi. 'Arizona' ho risposto, così mi hanno chiesto di raggiungerli. Non riuscivo a credere che la sceneggiatura e il ruolo che mi stavano offrendo fossero così buoni. Nel cast c'era John Goodman, con cui avevo lavorato anni prima in Rosanne. Era pazzesco. E poi mi hanno fatto sentire il brano che avrei dovuto cantare nel film, Man of Costant Sorrow". Canzone che ha presentato non pochi problemi per George Clooney, come ammette lui stesso ridendo: "Per realizzare la sequenza nel film abbiamo lavorato con un coreografo che ha smontato le mie certezze sulle mie capacità di ballerino, ma il dramma è stato quando ho dovuto cantare. Prima delle riprese ho studiato a lungo la canzone e tutti presumevano che sapessi cantare perché mia zia era Rosemary Clooney. Anche io pensavo di non cavarmela poi così male, ma alla fine del brano erano tutti a testa bassa. Nessuno aveva la forza di dirmi la verità, ma alla fine hanno scelto di far cantare al posto mio Dan Tyminski, che ha voce fantastica".
George Clooney in auto con Shailene Woodley in una scena del film The Descendants

Se i tre capitoli della saga di Ocean hanno rappresentato una "meravigliosa collaborazione tra un gruppo di amici che ha reso il lavoro divertentissimo", Jason Reitman ha preso un aereo per portare di persona il copione di Tra le nuvole nella villa di Clooney sul Lago di Como, ma uno dei ruoli che più ha soddisfatto l'attore è stato quello offertogli da Alexander Payne con Paradiso amaro perché gli ha permesso di allontanarsi dall'immagine di macho che aveva fatto impazzire il gentil sesso: "Ho sempre fatto molto sport, mi ha convinto ad accettare il film l'immagine di me che corro in ciabatte per le Hawaii, è una forma di demascolinizzazione. La moglie del mio personaggio ama un altro, i figli non hanno sintonia con lui. Ho adorato il mio personaggio e lavorare con Shailene Woodley è stato così semplice. Ancora oggi la tratto come una figlia".
E.R. Medici in prima linea: i 10 episodi più belli

[size=32]LA PASSIONE PER LA REGIA E PER PAUL NEWMAN[/size]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]George Clooney in una scena di Good Night, and Good Luck
Dopo tanti ruoli azzeccati, George Clooney ha sentito il bisogno di passare dall'altra parte della macchina da presa regalandoci Confessioni di una mente pericolosa e a ruota Good Night, and Good Luck. Il motivo di tale scelta? "Quando reciti sei soggetto alla volontà di molti, del regista, del montatore. Mi è sempre piaciuta l'idea di avere più controllo. Così ho osservato il lavoro dei registi televisivi e poi di Robert Rodriguez in Dal tramonto all'alba. Analizzavo la sua sua pianificazione e la sua tecnica di ripresa. Dai Robert e dai Coen ho imparato a seguire pedissequamente gli storyboard per permettere agli attori e altri collaboratori di seguire l'evoluzione del lavoro". È un caso che George Clooney, in The Midnight Sky, abbia deciso di dirigere se stesso: "Avevo l'età giusta per il ruolo di Augustine, ma dirigersi è estremamente faticoso e a tratti spiacevole. Sei lì che reciti una scena e all'improvviso ti fermi per dire all'altro attore come deve dire le battute, è tremendo".
Clooney sul set di IN AMORE, NIENTE REGOLE

Ripensando alle sue fonti di ispirazione, George Clooney torna a ripescare il criterio della gentilezza, mentre magnifica le doti di Gregory Peck, da cui era solito recarsi a cena, di Spencer Tracy, dell'amico John Turturro e soprattutto di Paul Newman, con cui sognava di lavorare: "Dovevamo fare Le pagine della nostra vita. Io avrei dovuto interpretare il suo personaggio da giovane, mi sembrava divertente. Ma poi sono andato a casa, mi sono riguardato i suoi film e sono rimasto intimidito. È uno degli uomini più belli mai visti. L'ho incontrato e gli ho detto 'Non posso interpretarti, non ti somiglio per niente. Sarebbe una follia'. Ma siamo rimasti amici. A un certo punto ho diretto un film, In amore, niente regole, che è stato un flop colossale. All'epoca Paul correva ancora con le auto e fece un incidente. Così rese una foto del mio film, la sovrappose alla sua auto incidentata e disse 'Stavo guidando la tua auto in gara'".

GEORGE CLOONEY: "AFTER BATMAN & ROBIN I UNDERSTAND THAT I WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FILMS I CHOOSE"
George Clooney ends the BFI London Film Festival with a flourish by retracing his career and anticipating his new work, The Midnight Sky, on Netflix in December.

INTERVIEW by VALENTINA D'AMICO - 10 hours ago
facebooktwitterwhatsapptelegram
Venice 2017: director George Clooney at the Suburbicon photocall
Venice 2017: director George Clooney at the Suburbicon photocall
George Clooney speaks at the BFI London Film Festival via streaming link from Los Angeles. The star confesses that he regrets the live interviews and the presence of the public as he looks around dejectedly in the meeting room in which he finds himself calling the situation "sad", but finds a good mood when he is invited to retrace his career. "To make a living, I was taking $ 3.33 an hour to cut tobacco," he recalls. "When I left Kentucky I was certain of one thing, I didn't want to be a tobacco cutter in life. I'm lucky to have had a career in Hollywood as an actor, director, screenwriter and producer. Anyone who is in my position and complains would have need a psychiatrist. "

George Clooney's speech at the festival is linked to his new work, the science fiction film The Midnight Sky, coming to Netflix in December. "Having already done a couple of movies in space, Solaris and Gravity, I knew how complicated they were" admits Clooney, who starred and directed the film "but when Netflix sent me the script to offer me to play it, I appreciated the story and the idea of ​​redemption at the basis of the film so much that he decided to direct it. My character has survived a catastrophe, is isolated. My wife breathed a sigh of relief when I finished shooting, she hated my shaved hair. "
The Midnight Sky set turned out to be full of surprises and unexpected events: "One day, while I was in the middle of Iceland at 40 ° below zero, with the wind at 100 km / h, Felicity Jones, who plays a "astronaut, to warn me that she was pregnant. This made things difficult. She wanted to do all the cable work without stunts, but I said, 'We will not tie a pregnant woman to a cable.' At first I thought about replacing her in CGI in the more challenging scenes, then I decided to put the pregnancy in the script. In two and a half years of space travel they will have sex, right? "

KINDNESS, THE MOST REVOLUTIONARY SKILL OF A DIRECTOR
George Clooney in a scene from Ocean's Thirteen
George Clooney in a scene from Ocean's Thirteen
For George Clooney, the secret of directing lies in "stealing from the best". The best are the directors who have directed him on several occasions, the Coen brothers in primis, his friend and companion Stephen Soderbergh, Alexander Payne and Jason Reitman: "I had an interesting career. Both as a director and as an actor I have experienced great successes and huge failures. I've never been your typical action actor or traditional comedian. Never being categorized allowed me to play very different roles, and even as a director I had the freedom to experiment. " Despite having worked with so many talented filmmakers, the essential quality that Clooney seeks in a director does not have to do with competence: "It's not just the coronavirus. Today the world has changed, it's full of hatred and anger. To survive you need to find kindness and support. The directors I loved working with possessed these qualities. "

Batman & Robin: George Clooney and Chris O'Donnell in a scene from the film
Batman & Robin: George Clooney and Chris O'Donnell in a scene from the film
Undoubtedly, the bond born with Steven Soderbergh on the set of Out of Sight, an intriguing action movie that represented a turning point in the career of George Clooney and also of Soderbergh himself: "At the time I came from the flop of Batman & Robin, Steven was back from two consecutive flops. Batman & Robin made me realize that I was also responsible for the choice of projects, not just my performance. I met Soderbergh at Danny De Vito's house and he chose me for Out of Sight. If you ask him. , still considers it his best film today ".

The Midnight Sky: George Clooney in the first photos of the film

FROM THE GOLDEN IDIOT OF THE COEN TO THE MALE IN CRISIS OF BITTER PARADISE
George Clooney in a scene from Brother, Where Art Thou?
George Clooney in a scene from Brother, Where Art Thou?
Another turning point, for George Cloooney comes with Brother, where are you ??, written and directed by the Coen brothers, who just turned twenty. "Thinking about it is shocking," admits the star. "It seems like yesterday I was on set. While I was acting in Three Kings, the Coens called me to ask where I was. 'Arizona' I replied, so they asked me to join them. I couldn't believe the script and the role I was holding. offering were so good. In the cast was John Goodman, who I had worked with years earlier on Rosanne. It was crazy. And then they played me the song I was supposed to sing in the film, Man of Costant Sorrow. "Song that presented quite a few problems for George Clooney, as he laughs himself admits:" To make the sequence in the film we worked with a choreographer which took away my certainties about my skills as a dancer, but the drama was when I had to sing. Before filming I studied the song for a long time and everyone assumed I could sing because my aunt was Rosemary Clooney. I also thought I wasn't doing too badly, but at the end of the song they were all with their heads down. Nobody had the strength to tell me the truth, but in the end they chose to have Dan Tyminski, who has a fantastic voice, sing in my place. "

George Clooney in a car with Shailene Woodley in a scene from The Descendants movie
George Clooney in a car with Shailene Woodley in a scene from The Descendants movie
If the three chapters of the Ocean saga represented a "wonderful collaboration between a group of friends that made the job so much fun," Jason Reitman took a plane to personally bring the script of Up in the Clouds to Clooney's mansion on Lake Como. Como, but one of the roles that most satisfied the actor was the one offered him by Alexander Payne with Bitter Paradise because it allowed him to move away from the macho image that had driven the fair sex crazy: "I've always done a lot of sport, I convinced to accept the film the image of me running in flip flops around Hawaii, it's a form of demasculinization. My character's wife loves another, the children are not in tune with him. I loved my character and working with Shailene Woodley was so simple. I still treat her like a daughter today. "

E.R. Doctors on the front line: the 10 most beautiful episodes

THE PASSION FOR THE DIRECTION AND FOR PAUL NEWMAN
George Clooney in a scene from Good Night, and Good Luck
George Clooney in a scene from Good Night, and Good Luck
After so many successful roles, George Clooney felt the need to go to the other side of the camera by giving us Confessions of a dangerous mind and following Good Night, and Good Luck. The reason for this choice? "When you act you are subject to the will of many, of the director, of the editor. I always liked the idea of ​​having more control. So I observed the work of television directors and then of Robert Rodriguez in From Dusk Till Dawn. his planning and his shooting technique. From the Robert and the Coens I learned to follow the storyboards slavishly to allow the actors and other collaborators to follow the evolution of the work ". It is a coincidence that George Clooney, in The Midnight Sky, decided to direct himself: "I was the right age for the role of Augustine, but directing is extremely tiring and at times unpleasant. You are there acting a scene and suddenly you stop to tell the other actor how to say the lines, it's terrible. "

Clooney on the set of IN LOVE, NO RULES
Clooney on the set of IN LOVE, NO RULES
Thinking back to his sources of inspiration, George Clooney returns to fish out the criterion of kindness, while he magnifies the gifts of Gregory Peck, to whom he used to go to dinner, of Spencer Tracy, of his friend John Turturro and above all of Paul Newman, with whom he dreamed of working: "We had to do The Pages of Our Lives. I should have played his character as a young man, he seemed funny. But then I went home, looked at his films and was intimidated. He's one of the most I met him and said, 'I can't play you, I don't look like you at all. It would be crazy.' But we remained friends. At one point I directed a film, In Love, No Rules, which is It was a colossal flop. At the time Paul was still racing cars and had an accident. So he made a photo of my film, put it on top of his crashed car and said 'I was driving your car in the race'. "
benex
benex
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 21 Oct 2020, 08:12

Thanks so much, Benex. This is a good recap of what he said.

Anyone else thinking the Italian name for Leatherheads, 'In Love, No Rules' is so much better than 'Leatherheads'?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:34

I think this is the complete thing -

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 09 Nov 2020, 12:21

Oh you superstar!!!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 09 Nov 2020, 17:00

Yes he is Katie.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down