George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest

3 posters

Go down

Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest Empty Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest

Post by party animal - not! Fri 18 Sep 2020, 17:59

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Headline news nationally..........

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest Empty Re: Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest

Post by annemarie Fri 18 Sep 2020, 19:33

Amal Clooney quits UK envoy role over 'lamentable' Brexit bill
Exclusive: Prominent human rights lawyer writes to foreign secretary with stinging denunciation

Owen Bowcott and Daniel Boffey
Fri 18 Sep 2020 10.30 EDTLast modified on Fri 18 Sep 2020 14.20 EDT

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Amal Clooney quits UK envoy role over %27lamentable%27 Brexit][/url]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
 Amal Clooney: ‘It is lamentable for the UK to be speaking of its intention to violate an international treaty signed by the prime minister less than a year ago.’ Photograph: Leon Neal/Getty Images
Amal Clooney, the high-profile human rights lawyer, has resigned from her position as the UK’s special envoy on media freedom in protest at the government’s intention to breach international law through the internal market bill.
In a stinging denunciation of Boris Johnson’s threat to override Britain’s international treaty obligations in the EU withdrawal agreement, the barrister described the government’s actions as “lamentable”.
Q&A

What is the UK internal market bill?

Show

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you

Read more

Her resignation letter, sent to the foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, on Friday says: “I have been dismayed to learn that the government intends to pass legislation – the internal market bill – which, if enacted, would, by the government’s own admission, ‘break international law’.
“I was also concerned to note the position taken by the government that although it is an ‘established principle of international law that a state is obliged to discharge its treaty obligations in good faith’, the UK’s ‘parliament is sovereign as a matter of domestic law and can pass legislation which is in breach of the UK’s treaty obligations’.
“Although the government has suggested that the intended violation of international law is ‘specific and limited’, it is lamentable for the UK to be speaking of its intention to violate an international treaty signed by the prime minister less than a year ago.”
Amal Clooney’s resignation letter in full
Her resignation comes after Lord Keen, the UK government’s law officer for Scotland, quit on Wednesday because of his opposition to the bill. A week earlier, the government’s chief lawyer, Jonathan Jones, stepped down as ministers prepared to publish the legislation.
Clooney said she had held back from standing down since the details of the internal market bill were revealed last week, but having “received no assurance that any change of position is imminent, I have no alternative but to resign from my position”.
She added: “I am disappointed to have to do so because I have always been proud of the UK’s reputation as a champion of the international legal order, and of the culture of fair play for which it is known. However, very sadly, it has now become untenable for me, as special envoy, to urge other states to respect and enforce international obligations while the UK declares that it does not intend to do so itself.”
Johnson’s decision to renege on significant parts of the withdrawal agreement will be analysed by the 27 EU leaders at a summit in Brussels next week, with officials warning that the member states are “neither intimidated nor impressed” by Downing Street’s ploy.
The EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, will update the heads of state and government on all the latest developments but sources in Brussels said there would be no debate or strategising by the EU. “There is not a lot to to discuss,” said one source.
Labour’s Chris Matheson, the shadow media minister, said: “It is humiliating that the UK’s special envoy on media freedom has felt unable to continue in her role. This shows that by threatening to break international law instead of getting Brexit done as we were promised, the government is trashing the UK’s reputation around the world.”

Brexit: Trump envoy warns of risk of Ireland 'border by accident'

Read more

Clooney’s letter, released through the International Bar Association in London, was supported by the independent High Level Panel of Legal Experts on Media Freedom.
David Neuberger, the chair of that panel and former president of the UK supreme court, said: “I agree with what Ms Clooney says in her letter of 18 September to the foreign secretary.
“I support her principled response to the shameful attitude of the UK government to its international treaty obligations in the internal market bill and in ministerial announcements that it is prepared to break international law.”
Lord Neuberger said Clooney’s role as an envoy was distinct from her position as deputy chair of the panel, which she would continue to hold.
He said: “Journalists who are persecuted, imprisoned and even murdered for their work deserve all the help that they can get, including through legal reforms by governments that follow the panel’s advice. It is in the interest of freedom of expression and the rule of law that they get such help.”
Helena Kennedy QC, the director of the International Bar Association Human Rights Institute, which is secretariat to the panel, said: “I fully endorse the statements made in Ms Clooney’s letter of resignation and respect her decision to stand down as envoy while maintaining her role on the panel. Members of the panel are appointed on an unpaid basis as a result of their relevant expertise and the panel should complete its current mandate

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest Empty Re: Amal Clooney has resigned from British Government Media Role in protest

Post by Admin Sun 20 Sep 2020, 19:48

It looks like the government are pulling back from their stated aim of breaking international law. Wonder if she resigned too soon?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 20 Sep 2020, 22:57

Mm, I wondered that. But maybe she's contributed to the rethink.

I think she's still on other government legislation panels with Ben Emerson though.

Here's Sir Keir Starmer QC, Leader of the Opposition on her resignation:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 20 Sep 2020, 23:05

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down