Our latest tweetsTweets by @ClooneysOpenHse
Calling all lawyers! Apply via the link, please.
The Clooney Foundation for Justice (CFJ) is seeking a Legal Advocacy Director to work on advocacy strategies and the conduct of litigation before national courts, international courts, and international human rights bodies arising from the Foundation’s work, including TrialWatch and The Docket.
CFJ advocates for justice through accountability for human rights abuses around the world, and the incumbent will join the organization at an exciting time of growth.
TrialWatch is a CFJ initiative that monitors criminal trials and advocates for victims of injustice around the world. TrialWatch focuses on trials against those who are most vulnerable: journalists, women, the LGBTQ community, religious minorities, and human rights defenders. TrialWatch monitors complete our UN-approved online training program and use a customized app developed with Microsoft to record their observations. Using this data, a legal expert grades the trial and writes a “Fairness Report” examining whether the trial complied with international legal standards. When an injustice occurs, we conduct or fund legal advocacy in domestic, regional, or international forums. And once we have gathered enough data, we will create a Global Justice Ranking that we will use to press for systemic reform.
The Docket, a new CFJ initiative, pursues accountability for individual and corporate perpetrators of international crimes and supports victims in their efforts to obtain justice. The Docket aims to bring together multi-disciplinary investigations, courtroom advocacy, and public engagement to promote justice in individual cases as well as long-lasting systemic change.
- Work with CFJ’s co-President Amal Clooney and the Senior Management Team within the foundation to develop and execute an advocacy plan for TrialWatch and The Docket
- Provide direct representation to clients in domestic, regional, and international fora and identify opportunities to file amicus briefs on behalf of CFJ in cases addressing issues relevant to CFJ's mission
- Draft and/or supervise all legal filings and participate in hearings
- Facilitate and manage pro bono partnerships with law firms to support CFJ initiatives
- Represent the Foundation and its work to governments, media, the global legal and human
rights communities, academics, and other stakeholders, including engaging in advocacy on particular cases arising under TrialWatch or The Docket as determined by the Senior Management Team and CFJ's co-Presidents
- Other duties as assigned by CFJ’s Co-Presidents
- A law degree with a minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience, including in international human rights, comparative law, and/or criminal law and procedure and/or similar experience designing and implementing impactful global human rights initiatives
- Excellent legal writing skills
- Litigation and advocacy experience
- Adept team player with good interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- A strong track record of successful leadership in roles requiring innovation, entrepreneurialism,
problem-solving, and creativity
- A high level of personal energy, dependability, and commitment
- Ability to keep calm and work in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to CFJ’s missions and goals
Additional Relevant Skills/Qualifications:
- Previous experience relating to international human rights law
- Previous experience building and managing worldwide operations
- Demonstrated success in leading one or more teams
Flexible (New York preferred)
Commensurate with experience and competitive with other non-profit organizations
As soon as possible
Submit a resume, cover letter, and list of at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Clooney Foundation For Justice
The Clooney Foundation for Justice (CFJ) advocates for justice through accountability for human rights abuses around the world. We believe that justice means fighting for the rights of individuals unfairly targeted by oppressive governments through the courts: this is what we do through our TrialWatch program. And we work to expose the corruption that fuels grave human rights violations through our other flagship programs: The Sentry, which “follows the dirty money” of human rights abusers to ensure that they face financial consequences through targeted network sanctions, anti-money laundering measures, and other policy instruments; and The Docket, which aims to trigger criminal prosecutions and civil claims against individual and corporate actors who profit from war crimes and human rights abuse.
- Posts : 1662
Join date : 2010-12-05
Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum