George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side - part 6

+7
Way2Old4Dis
it's me
Donnamarie
What Would He Say
Joanna
Admin
ladybugcngc
11 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Empty Re: The Serious Side - part 6

Post by party animal - not! Sat 06 Oct 2018, 19:01

Couldn't agree more, Donnamarie. From this side of the pond, apart from anything else that he has or hasn't done (and he certainly denied about the legality of his drinking. It wasn't legal in the state he was in! (I say this with feeling. One of my children was denied a glass of wine in an NYC restaurant one day before she was 21!) he just doesn't seem to have the demeanour to be one of the highest judges in the land.

I have wondered if the expectations of his mother may or may not have something to do with all of this. As a judge herself it seems she constantly grilled him at the age of 11 at meal times. No pressure then?!

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 06 Oct 2018, 19:01

Couldn't agree more, Donnamarie. From this side of the pond, apart from anything else that he has or hasn't done (and he certainly denied about the legality of his drinking. It wasn't legal in the state he was in! (I say this with feeling. One of my children was denied a glass of wine in an NYC restaurant one day before she was 21!) he just doesn't seem to have the demeanour to be one of the highest judges in the land.

I have wondered if the expectations of his mother may or may not have something to do with all of this. As a judge herself it seems she constantly grilled him at the age of 11 at meal times. No pressure then?!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sat 06 Oct 2018, 20:10

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6247493/Trump-claims-anti-Kavanaugh-protesters-paid-professionals-expensive-signs-prior-vote.html

[size=34]Trump claims anti-Kavanaugh protesters are 'paid professionals with expensive signs' as he doubles down on his backing for SCOTUS pick hours before crunch vote[/size]

• President Trump tweeted his renewed support for Supreme Court nominee Saturday morning 

• He tweeted that female Kavanaugh supports are gathering in Capitol Hill 

• Trump's tweet also referred to the conspiracy theory that those protesting his or GOP ideas and practices are paid protesters with professionally-made signs 

By MAXINE SHEN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 13:16 EDT, 6 October 2018 | UPDATED: 14:48 EDT, 6 October 2018

Just hours before the vote over Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, President Donald Trump tweeted his support for the embattled judge and repeated his belief that protesters are 'paid professionals'.
The tweet, which appeared to be a message directed at senators, stated that there are women who support Kavanaugh and that they're not 'paid professional protesters'.
'Women for Kavanaugh, and many others who support this very good man, are gathering all over Capitol Hill in preparation for a 3-5 P.M. VOTE,' the President wrote.
'It is a beautiful thing to see - and they are not paid professional protesters who are handed expensive signs. Big day for America!'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4821296-6247493-image-a-7_1538846032798

+10

President Donald Trump threw his support behind Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh again on Saturday morning just hours before the Senate vote 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4821294-6247493-image-a-10_1538846075563

+10

Trump's tweet made reference to the conspiracy theory that anti-Kavanaugh protesters are paid professionals with professionally-made signs
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4822234-6247493-image-m-36_1538848522600

+10

Women, like this one, were seen handwriting protest signs outside the US Captiol on Saturday

[size=10][size=18]Kavanaugh protests continue as his approval into Supreme Court nears

[/size][/size]
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4823668-6247493-image-a-38_1538850875990

+10

Outside Capitol Hill Saturday, women were seen being arrested while protesting Kavanaugh
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4823670-6247493-image-a-39_1538850883144

+10

A long line of women and men willing to risk receiving criminal records to stand up for their beliefs as they protest outside Capitol Hill just hours before the Senate vote Saturday
Media reports and videos indicted that the people heading towards and gathering at Capitol Hill and outside the Supreme Court are actually Kavanaugh demonstrators, however.

It is the second time in as many days that Trump has claimed that those protesting his or the GOP's ideas and decisions are professional protesters.
Shortly before Friday's Senate procedural vote to go forward with Kavanaugh's vote, the President tweeted about viral videos of female sexual assault survivors who had approached senators in an effort to explain their point of view for why Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination should not go forward.
One woman's elevator encounter with Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake is believed to have been what spurred him on to call for an FBI probe into allegations that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted Dr. Christine Blasey Ford while they were both teenagers.  
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4821512-6247493-image-a-12_1538846433807

+10

Trump's proof that the Kavanaugh protestors are paid professionals appear to be that the signs appear to be too professionally-made to be genuine. Protestors pictured Saturday outside the Supere Court in Washington, DC
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4821498-6247493-Trump_believes_that_billionaire_George_Soros_is_paying_protester-a-13_1538850014750

+10

Trump believes that billionaire George Soros is paying protesters and funding their signs. A protester is pictured Saturday marching on the US Capitol's East Lawn in Washington, DC
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4822246-6247493-image-a-26_1538848065565

+10

A demonstrator holding an obviously homemade sign outside the Supreme Court Saturday
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4822224-6247493-image-a-33_1538848245150

+10

Protesters holding clearly inexpensive, handmade sign outside the Supreme Court Saturday
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4821478-6247493-The_Senate_will_vote_to_confirm_Brett_Kavanaugh_for_Supreme_Cour-a-14_1538850014751

+10

The Senate will vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court on Saturday afternoon

Utah Republican Sen. Orrin G. Hatch, however, was filmed dismissively waving a woman away at the elevator and saying that he'd talk with her 'when you grow up.'

'The very rude elevator screamers are paid professionals only looking to make Senators look bad. Don’t fall for it!' Trump tweeted Friday at 6.08am. 
Trump then went on to write, 'Also, look at all of the professionally made identical signs. Paid for by Soros and others. These are not signs made in the basement from love!'  
In Egypt Saturday, during her first solo trip abroad, First Lady Melania Trump told reporters that she has told him to put his phone down and stop tweeting and that she doesn't always agree with the president's sentiments.'I don't always agree with what he tweets, and I tell him that,' she told reporters. 
'I give my honest opinion and honest advice. Sometimes he listens and sometimes he doesn't, but I have my own voice and opinions, and it's very important to me I express what I feel.'
Although she refused to admit whether she believed Ford's claims that Kavanaugh assaulted her, Melania said that she believed that Kavanaugh is 'highly qualified' said she was 'glad Dr. Ford was heard.'

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 06 Oct 2018, 20:58

Just a reminder:

https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/931287377989038080

Have any of the reporters queried this or news channels mentioned this?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Sat 06 Oct 2018, 22:08

Yep PAN there has been talk about the hypocrisy of Franken’s situation and how the defense of Kavenaugh flies in the face ....

There was a a twitter exchange yesterday (can’t remember who started it) asking who wants to run against Collins in 2020.  Susan Rice, former Obama National Security Advisor responded ‘Me’.
Got to wonder if she’s serious.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 06 Oct 2018, 22:22

Well, I'm just surprised that no-one in the 24 hour news cycle directly challenged Collins on it.

Yep, I saw that Susan Rice's twitter response to fight the seat was 'Me'. But she'd have a whole other fight on her hands about Benghazi wouldn't she?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 06 Oct 2018, 22:44

Donnamaarie - Saw that Rice is "considering" whether she wants to run. Also saw that there are groups in Maine asking for funds to build a war chest for whoever runs against Collins. They really want her out of there.

I also saw (can't remember where - it was a little while ago) that Franken is contemplating another run. I really hope he runs. Even if he doesn't get elected, can you imagine the things he could talk about during his campaign?

PAN - They might challenge Collins to explain herself if she ever has the nerve to show her face again without a bunch of Republican men to hide behind. Gotta wonder what they promised her.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 06 Oct 2018, 23:14

Yep, Lizzy I've wondered about that on many occasions over the past couple of years.

Given nobody apparently has a clue what Dump and Putin talked about for two hours anything is possible I guess.......

Divide and rule seems to be the name of the game - and smothering every single news cycle so that we all forget the really important stories.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 07 Oct 2018, 09:53

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6248029/Donors-organize-multimillion-dollar-effort-defeat-Susan-Collins-2020-election.html

[size=34]'We'll make sure everyone in Maine remembers how she voted': Donors and activists raise millions in bid to oust Susan Collins in the 2020 Senate election as payback for supporting Kavanaugh[/size]

• Activists have signalled hey’ll be focused on ousting the woman whose pledge to support Brett Kavanaugh likely sealed his confirmation to the Supreme Court

• Maine Senator Susan Collins will find it difficult to retain her seat in 2020 as the fallout from Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court continues

• Collins backed Kavanugh and said yesterday she believes Dr Blasey Ford was assaulted but added: 'I don't know by whom. I'm not certain when'

• So far over $3 million has been raised to fund Collins' eventual 2020 opponent 

By LEAH MCDONALD FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 18:43 EDT, 6 October 2018 | UPDATED: 20:34 EDT, 6 October 2018

Democratic donors and political activists are launching a multi million dollar bid to defeat the Republic Senator who pledged her support for Brett Kavanagh which likely sealed his nomination to the Supreme Court.
A deeply divided Senate voted on Saturday to confirm Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, delivering a victory for President Donald Trump.
As senators entered their final hours of debate on Saturday, hundreds of Kavanaugh opponents protested on the steps of the Supreme Court. 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827352-6248029-image-m-3_1538862795807

+9

Campaigning is underway to ensure Maine Republican Senator Susan Collins (pictured) does not retain her seat in the 2020 election over her decision to support Justice Brett Kavanaugh 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827348-6248029-image-a-11_1538863041036

+9

Collins delivered a 40 minute speech in the Senate announcing her support for Kavanaugh
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827366-6248029-image-m-4_1538862807892

+9

Justice Brett Kavanagh (pictured) was confirmed as the 114th Justice in a narrow vote Saturday

Dr Christine Blasey Ford accused Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her while the two were in high school, prompting a week's delay in his confirmation to allow the FBI to conduct an investigation into the alleged incident.
Kavanaugh has denied all allegations.
Maine Senator Susan Collins reviewed the results of the investigation, which included testimony from ten different witnesses but not from Ford or Kavanaugh on Friday.
She subsequently voted to advance Kavanaugh's nomination and said that she will vote yes on Kavanaugh' during the full Senate's confirmation vote on Saturday.
Recruiting efforts have now begun to ensure that Senator Collins is defeated by whichever Democrat runs against her in the 2020 election campaign.

In the day after Collins threw her support behind Kavanaugh, a crowd-sourced effort to finance her eventual 2020 opponent raised more than $1 million.
The whopping sum brought the total amount raised to just about $3.2 million ― far more than Collins’ last challenger spent in total in the 2014 midterm race.
Major donors already pledged $1 million to an effort to register and educate voters in Maine ahead of the contest, organizers told the Huffington Post.  
More than 100,000 pledges were made as of Saturday afternoon, with around 30,000 of those coming in the previous 24 hours.
Jesse Graham, the co-executive director of Maine People’s Alliance said: 'We’re in conversations with lots of major donors over the last couple of weeks’.
‘They want to make sure that everyone who is upset by this vote is actually a registered voter by 2020, and that we have resources to make sure everyone in Maine remembers how Sen. Collins voted'. 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827158-6248029-image-a-19_1538863214320

+9

Jesse Graham (pictured) hopes his fundraising drive can ensure Collins is defeated by the opponent who runs against her in Maine in the 2020 election 
She won her last two Senate elections in 2008 and 2014, with more than 60 percent of the vote.
She has a strong reputation for bipartisanship in her home state both because of her clashes with more right-wing Republicans like unpopular outgoing Governor Paul LePage, and her votes against Republican attempts to repeal Obamacare.
But the big donors funding the effort think Collins’ reputation as a bipartisan crowd-pleaser is overstated after her votes for Kavanaugh, Justice Neil Gorsuch and the GOP tax law.
A major Democratic donor who is helping organize the effort said: ‘There’s this narrative out there about Collins being untouchable.
‘And I think that’s an outdated narrative, based on her running in an off year, in a pre-Trump era, against an underfunded candidate with no name ID'.   
The separate crowdfunding campaign crossed the $2 million mark while Collins was delivering her speech explaining her vote for Kavanaugh.
There is already one announced challenger for Collins named Dr Cathleen London, a physician who announced her bid in July.

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827316-6248029-image-a-14_1538863101464

+9

Former United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice indicated that she would consider running
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827334-6248029-image-a-15_1538863116316

+9

Maine House Speaker Sara Gideon (pictured) announced she would consider a bid after November's election, saying Kavanaugh doesn't deserve a seat on the highest court in the land
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827262-6248029-Dr_Cathleen_London_pictured_announced_her_candidacy_for_US_Senat-a-24_1538872467817

+9

Dr Cathleen London (pictured) announced her candidacy for US Senate against Susan Collins
But Democratic operatives in Maine named several other potential challengers including Democractic Congresswoman Chellie Pingree and her daughter, Hannah Pingree, a former speaker of the state House.
Adam Cote, a lawyer and Iraq War veteran who finished second in this year’s Democratic gubernatorial primary and Jared Golden, the Democratic nominee in Maine’s rural 2nd District and a veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars , were also touted as contenders.
Two other potential candidates expressed interest Friday. Maine House Speaker Sara Gideon wrote on Facebook she would consider a bid after November’s elections.
'Women both in Maine and across the country have raised our voices loud and clear,' Gideon wrote.
'Brett Kavanaugh should have no seat on the highest court in the land. Unfortunately, Senator Collins has chosen to vote against the interests of us all. Maine deserves a champion in the US Senate'. 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827354-6248029-image-a-25_1538863336511

+9

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4827778-6248029-Dr_Christine_Blasey_Ford_has_no_further_plans_to_pursue_her_sexu-a-23_1538872467708

+9

Susan Collins (left) believes that Dr Christine Blasey Ford (left) was assaulted but she does not believe Justice Brett Kavanaugh was the assailant as Blasey Ford had previously indicated 
Former United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice indicated on Twitter she would consider running. Rice’s mother is from Maine and she spent summers there as a child.
The crowdfunding project, which had an average donation of $28.40, was organized by the Maine People’s Alliance, Mainers for Accountable Leadership and progressive activist Ady Barkan. 
The funds will sit in an escrow account until her opponent emerges, Barkan told the Huffington Post.
Collins denounced the fundraising drive, saying she considered the 'quid pro quo fundraising to be the equivalent of an attempt to bribe me to vote against Judge Kavanaugh'.  
Meanwhile, Collins said Saturday that while she believes that Dr Christine Blasey Ford was sexually assaulted, she does not believe that now-confirmed Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh did it.
'I do not believe that Brett Kavanaugh was her assailant,' the Republican told CNN's Dana Bash onState of the Union in an interview slated to air on Sunday. 
'I do believe that she was assaulted. I don't know by whom. I'm not certain when'. 

ADVERTISEMENT

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 07 Oct 2018, 19:34

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6249575/Senator-John-Cornyn-slammed-tweeting-Not-Beers4Brett-BubblyforBrett-Kavanaugh-sworn-in.html

[size=34]Senator John Cornyn is slammed for gloatingly tweeting 'Not #Beers4Brett but #BubblyforBrett' with a photo of champagne after Kavanaugh is sworn in[/size]

•  After Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to his position as a Supreme Court Justice, supporters started sharing the hashtag 'BeersForBrett' 

• Senator John Cornyn got in on the Twitter action gloating 'BubblyForBrett with a photo of champagne

• Cornyn was instrumental in ensuring embattled judge got enough Senate votes

• People on Twitter slammed the Senator for his 'frat boy tone deaf' tweet 

• Actress Patricia Arquette hit back with 'Wow. Nothing funnier than out of control drinking' 

By JESSICA FINN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 11:12 EDT, 7 October 2018 | UPDATED: 12:44 EDT, 7 October 2018

Republican Texas Senator John Cornyn was slammed after gloating 'Bubbly For Brett' with a photo of a glass of champagne on Twitter after Kavanaugh's confirmation on Saturday.
Cornyn, who was instrumental in ensuring Kavanaugh had enough Senate votes to be confirmed, was following the hashtag trend of 'BeersForBrett' that conservatives shared after Saturday's vote.
The hashtag was spawned from Kavanaugh's testimony where he defended himself from sexual assault allegations by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. 
During his sworn statements the now Supreme Court Judge said 'I drank beer with my friends, sometimes I had too many beers, sometimes others did, I liked beer, I still like beer, but I did not drink beer to the point of blacking out and I never sexually assaulted anyone.'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4837684-6249575-image-a-28_1538924191961

+6

Senator John Cornyn's tweet Saturday 'BubblyForBrett' was slammed for being 'tone deaf'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4837690-6249575-image-a-38_1538924725672
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4837686-6249575-image-m-37_1538924713721

Republican Texas Senator Cornyn (left) was instrumental in lobbying fellow senators to vote Kavanaugh in for the Supreme Court spot

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4837678-6249575-image-a-32_1538924235688

+6

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4837682-6249575-image-a-31_1538924211314

+6

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4837676-6249575-image-a-33_1538924247743

+6

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4837672-6249575-image-a-34_1538924256984

+6

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4837674-6249575-image-a-35_1538924260985

+6

Twitter users were outraged at Cornyn's 'tone deaf frat boy' tweet after Kavanaugh's confirmation 
'That's it, feed his addiction. At least you acknowledged his likes beer (a lot). Btw, he didn't get his ruddy complexion from being a weekend drinker. He's an alcoholic with anger issues,' yet another Twitter user chimed in.  
Kavanaugh was confirmed earlier on Saturday with by a 50-48 vote in the Senate, and was sworn in shortly afterward.  
The Senate vote and Kavanaugh's swearing in was consistently interrupted by protesters yelling and being escorted out of the

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 07 Oct 2018, 19:41

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6249807/Kavanaughs-accuser-says-disgusted-appalled-senators-actions.html

[size=34]'I had every right to come forward': Kavanaugh's third accuser says she is 'disgusted and appalled' by senators who claimed her allegations were not credible after her lawyer Michael Avenatti is blamed for 'ruining the case'[/size]

• The third woman to accuse Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault has spoken out

• Julie Swetnick released a statement via her lawyer Michael Avenatti Sunday

• This comes the morning after Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court

• She says she is 'disgusted and appalled' by how senators handled investigation

• 'They claim my allegations were ''not helpful to the process,''' she writes, calling out Republican senators, President Trump and political pundits

• Senator Gary Peters is leading a pack of Democrats who believe Michael Avenatti ruined the case against Kavanaugh because of Swetnick's claims 

By KAYLA BRANTLEY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 13:51 EDT, 7 October 2018 | UPDATED: 14:10 EDT, 7 October 2018

Julie Swetnick, the third woman to accuse Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct, says she is 'disgusted and appalled' by the way her claims against the now-Supreme Court Justice were ignored by the Senate.
In a statement released Sunday through her high-profile lawyer Michael Avenatti, Swetnick criticizes both media pundits and politicians for 'claiming I should have ''shut up'' and continued to stay silent about what happened to me'.  
'They claim my allegations were ''not helpful to the process,'' Swetnick writes, particularly calling out Meet the Press host Chuck Todd and Republican Senator Susan Collins. 'This is outrageous and shows a complete lack of empathy for survivors.'
Swetnick's comments come the morning after Judge Brett Kavanaugh was sworn in to serve on the highest court in the nation despite her claims that she witnessed him take part in drugging and gang raping women at numerous high school parties.
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4839366-6249807-image-a-1_1538930428396

+8

Julie Swetnick, the third woman to accuse Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault, has spoken out
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4839370-6249807-image-m-3_1538931970975

She released a statement via her lawyer Michael Avenatti Sunday
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4840426-6249807-image-m-9_1538932432697

+8

This comes the morning after Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court Saturday night
Swetnick's statement was released via Twitter by Avenatti - the lawyer known for suing Donald Trump over the alleged affair with porn star Stormy Daniels.

In her statement, she takes jabs at President Trump, Senator Chuck Grassley, Ted Cruz and others for 'never really wanting to get to the truth' and impeding the FBI investigation into the allegations of sexual misconduct against a younger Kavanaugh. 
While Dr Christine Blasey Ford - the first woman to come forward with accusations - testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Kavanaugh's second accuser Deborah Ramirez was interview by the FBI, Swetnick was never contacted. 
'My allegations should have been investigated. I know of multiple corroborating witnesses and we were all prepared to speak with the FBI as we made known for weeks,' she writes. 

'But because of the efforts of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the White House, the FBI refused to interview us or even attempt to hear our stories,' she adds. 'They could not be bothered to take one hour or even ten minutes to hear about what happened to us and what we witnessed.' 
Swetnick had written a sworn statement saying she had seen Kavanaugh 'fondling and grabbing girls without their consent' at numerous parties between 1981 and 1983. She alleged he was part of a group that spiked drinks and lined up to 'gang-rape' young women who did not have control of their actions.
She also provided the names of four people she said could support her description of the house parties at that time, however of the four, NBC reported one was dead, two did not respond and another said they did not recall Swetnick. 
Despite the accusations, senators voted Saturday to confirm Kavanaugh with a 50-48 vote, with one Republican sitting on the sidelines as a favor to a friend attending his daughter's wedding.

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4839354-6249807-image-m-20_1538933413900

+8

Senator Gary Peters is leading a pack of Democrats who believe Michael Avenatti ruined the case against Kavanaugh because of Swetnick's claims
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4840442-6249807-image-m-23_1538933731269

+8

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4840458-6249807-image-a-24_1538933741270

+8

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4840460-6249807-image-a-25_1538933741391

+8

'They claim my allegations were ''not helpful to the process,'' she writes, calling out Republican Senators Susan Collins (center), Mitch McConnell (right) and and political pundit Chuck Todd (left) for criticizing her 
She calls Senator Susan Collins' speech on Friday 'especially shameful and an attack on all sexual assault victims'. 
'Some of the allegations levied against Judge Kavanaugh illustrate why the presumption of innocence is so important,' Collins said during her lengthy speech on the Senate floor where she announced her vote for Kavanaugh.
'I am thinking in particular not of the allegations raised by Professor Ford, but of the allegation that when he was a teenager, Judge Kavanaugh drugged multiple girls and used their weakened state to facilitate gang rape,' she said without specifically naming Swetnick. 
Collins called her claims 'outlandish' and put forth 'without any credible supporting evidence'. Swetnick hit back saying Collins 'does not deserve to represent women.' 
This particular comment has struck a chord with Democrats and political pundits, including Chuck Todd who said on Meet the Press: 'Michael Avenatti is probably the best thing to happen to Brett Kavanaugh. All these Democrats that have been flirting with him, they've got to really be embarrassed by him now.'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4840462-6249807-image-a-13_1538932575005

+8

She says she is 'disgusted and appalled' by how senators handled investigation

Senator Gary Peters is now leading a pack of Democrats who believe Michael Avenatti ruined the case against Kavanaugh with Swetnick's claims. 
 'It turns it into a circus atmosphere and certainly that's not where we should be,' he said about the allegations raised by Avenatti and his client Julie Swetnick, adding, 'at some point there were a lot of folks coming forward making all sorts of accusations'. 
Swetnick ends her statement by calling for Americans to be 'outraged' by how she and the other Kavanaugh accusers were 'treated and shamed'. 
'And remember- next time it might be your spouse, your daughter, your mother, your friend or your sister,' she writes. 'Would you want her to be treated the same way?'      

[size=34]Read Julie Swetnick's full statement on Senate's decision to confirm Brett Kavanaugh[/size]

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4839368-6249807-image-m-22_1538933674449

+8

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Sun 07 Oct 2018, 23:42

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6249469/Cory-Booker-jets-Iowa-voting-no-Kavanaugh-sparking-2020-speculation.html

[size=34]'We're not defined by a president who doesn't believe women' - Cory Booker jets to Iowa after voting no on Kavanaugh, sparking 2020 speculation[/size]

• New Jersey Senator Cory Booker is the first top-tier potential challenger to President Trump to visit the early voting state of Iowa 

• Booker headlined a fundraiser for the Iowa Democratic Party

• He declined to talk about Trump by name: 'I will never let him pull me so low as to hate him. I'm going to continue to be a voice in this country for the love' 

• Other possible Trump challengers - such as California Sen. Kamala Harris - are preparing to make their own trips to Iowa

• Less-tier candidates like Michael Avenatti have already been to the state

By EMILY GOODIN, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 09:20 EDT, 7 October 2018 | UPDATED: 11:01 EDT, 7 October 2018

Hours after voting no on Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to the Supreme Court, Democratic Senator Cory Booker was in the early presidential state of Iowa, offering words of hope and cautioning against despair.
Booker is the first top-tier potential challenger to President Donald Trump to set foot in Iowa, where a victory in the caucuses can boost a candidate's chances of being their party's White House nominee.
The senator, who was headlining a fundraiser for the Iowa Democratic Party, told 1,400 Democrats not to despair of Kavanaugh's confirmation, which came in the wake of sexual assault allegations and emotional testimony from one of his accusers, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4836704-6249469-image-a-12_1538918051021

+5

New Jersey Senator Cory Booker is the first top-tier potential challenger to President Trump to visit the early voting state of Iowa
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4836690-6249469-image-a-13_1538918061935

+5

President Trump has already attacked Booker as a 'horrible' mayor of Newark
'Hope is the act of conviction that despair can never have the last word,' he said. 'We're not defined in this state by Republicans in power; we're defined by how we respond to them. We're not defined by a president who mocks a hero, Dr. Blasey Ford. We're not defined by a president who doesn't believe women.'

But, in speaking to reporters after his 45 minute speech, Booker declined to use Trump's name and brushed away a question about the president's criticism of his time as mayor of Newark, New Jersey. 
'I have nothing personal against the president,' Booker said, according to The Washington Post. 'If he wants to attack me personally, he can. If he wants to attack my record, the reality is that the people of New Jersey elected me statewide, and I'm proud of the work we did. I will never let him pull me so low as to hate him. I'm going to continue to be a voice in this country for the love, for bringing the nation together, not driving the nation apart.'
Trump has been attacking Booker during his campaign rallies, calling him a 'horrible' mayor during his time in Newark.
Asked flat-out by reporters if he was running for president, Booker joked: 'I do need to get in shape. So I will probably go jogging here in Iowa in the morning,' according to The New York Times.
'In all seriousness, we're here to focus on the elections that are coming up in 31 days,' he added.

Booker stoked White House speculation with a fiery speech that cited Martin Luther King Jr.'s  1965 speech on voting rights.
'How long? Not long! Until we answer the president's hate with our universal love,' Booker said. 'How long until November? Not long!' 
His speech also served to rally the crowd ahead of November's midterm election.
'It is not a time to give up, it's a time to get up, to rise up, to speak up,' he said. 'It's time for you not to wait for hope, but to be the hope.' 
Booker's appearance in the early presidential state caps off a recent rise in the spotlight, where he used his perch on the Senate Judiciary Committee to rail against Kavanaugh and express his support for Ford, even bringing her a cup when she said she needed caffeine during her emotional testimony about her claim Kavanaugh assaulter her at a high school party in the 1980s.
He also had what he called his 'I am Spartacus' moment when he threatened to release confidential committee documents related to Kavanaugh's nomination. 
Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court by a 50-48 vote on Saturday. 
Booker's speech in Iowa captivated the crowd.
'You don't give a speech like that unless you're running for president,' Scott Brennan, Iowa Democratic National Committee member and former state party chair, told Politico afterward. 
'It was a very good message, obviously well received,' Tom Vilsack, the former secretary of agriculture and a two-term Iowa governor, told The Post. 'Anger comes and goes. This stuff can stick with you during the tough times. I, for one, don't think anger wins elections. I think hope and opportunity wins elections.'

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4836518-6249469-image-a-14_1538918077749

+5

Booker's appearance in the early presidential state caps off a recent rise in the spotlight
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4836922-6249469-image-a-15_1538918082667

+5

Booker brought Christine Blasey Ford a cup of coffee when she asked for caffeine during her emotional testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4836916-6249469-Senators_Cory_Booker_and_Kamala_Harris_have_both_been_mentioned_-a-2_1538924358890

+5

Senators Cory Booker and Kamala Harris have both been mentioned as possible 2020 challengers; here they speak during a Senate Judiciary Hearing on Kavanaugh's nomination
Other Democrats who have been mentioned as potential Trump challengers have shied away from Iowa and New Hampshire ahead of the 2018 midterms. 
But they are making preparations to travel there, where Iowans expect to see presidential contenders multiple times before deciding how they will vote.
California Sen. Kamala Harris has not been to Iowa yet, but she has made calls in the state indicating she will be there, probably the last week before November's election. 
Lesser-tier candidates are already barn storming the state: Michael Avenatti, the lawyer for Stormy Daniels, was there in August; Democratic Congressman John Delany of Maryland has campaigned in all of the state's 99 counties; and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti was there in April.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 08 Oct 2018, 10:18

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6251201/GOP-Senator-Susan-Collins-trusts-Kavanaugh-uphold-Roe-v-Wade.html

[size=34]Susan Collins tells 60 Minutes she felt 'very comfortable' voting for Kavanaugh because she trusts he will uphold Roe v. Wade[/size]

• Maine Senator Susan Collins strongly defended her Kavanaugh vote

• The pro-choice politician said there is little chance the judge would overturn Roe v. Wade, despite bipartisan belief

• Collins revealed on Sunday that she feels 'very comfortable' with her decision 

• She said Kavanaugh is the first of six Supreme Court nominees she interviewed who expressed the importance of precedent  

• The senator failed to mention a 2003 statement written by Kavanaugh

• The White House lawyer advised against calling Roe the 'settled law of the land'

• GOP Senators Collins and Jeff Flake were among those who spent considerable time with the FBI documents into the Kavanaugh probe

• Both senators ultimately voted to advance Kavanaugh's nomination 

By JESSA SCHROEDER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 02:00 EDT, 8 October 2018 | UPDATED: 02:09 EDT, 8 October 2018

Maine Senator Susan Collins, who cast one of the key votes that led to Kavanaugh's Supreme Court confirmation, defended her decision Sunday and said there is little chance the judge would overturn Roe v. Wade, despite bipartisan belief.
The moderate Republican senator sat down for a 60 Minutes interview with longtime CBS anchor, Scott Pelley, whom she discussed the matter into further detail with. 
Despite being lambasted by protesting Democrats over the weekend, Collins revealed she feels 'very comfortable' with her decision following thorough review as well as her own personal consultation with the judge.
The pro-choice politician spent an ample amount of time questioning Kavanaugh about his views on abortion rights.

Pelley initiated the conversation with Collins and said: 'There are many who believe that judge Kavanuagh will be the vote that results in abortion becoming illegal in the United States... and I wonder if you are concerned about that?'
Collins said confidently that she is not concerned - and admitted she 'could not vote for a judge who had demonstrated hostility to Roe v. Wade' - adding that it would 'indicate a lack of respect for precedent.'
Scroll down for videos 

CBS Interactive Privacy Policy

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4848562-6251201-image-a-49_1538977468512

+7

Maine Senator Susan Collins sat down for a 60 Minutes interview Sunday when she defended her vote in favor of Brett Kavanaugh
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4848566-6251201-image-a-50_1538977478929

+7

Collins, who cast one of the key votes that led to Kavanaugh's Supreme Court confirmation, said there is little chance the judge would overturn Roe v. Wade, despite bipartisan belief
She said Kavanaugh is the first of six Supreme Court nominees who expressed the importance of precedent.
'He views precedent - not just as a legal doctrine - but as rooted in our Constitution, and he reveres our Constitution,' Collins said in the 60 Minutes interview.
'I asked him, "Is it sufficient? if five current, sitting justices believe that Roe should be overturned?"'
He replied, according to Collins: '"No, it would have to be the only case for overturning a long-established precedent is if it was grievously wrong and deeply inconsistent."
'Those are pretty high bars,' the senator added. 'He described Roe as having precedent upon precedent, because it was reaffirmed.'
The Maine Senator also said in a Friday speech that Kavanaugh places high importance on previous court decisions.
Collins told the Senate: 'To my knowledge, Judge Kavanaugh is the first Supreme Court nominee to express the view that precedent is not only a practice and a tradition, but rooted in Article 3 of our constitution itself.'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4848528-6251201-image-a-59_1538977900813

+7

(L-R) Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Judge Brett Kavanaugh and Vice President Mike Pence pose for photographs in the US Capitol July 10, 2018 in Washington, DC. The Senate voted 50-48 to confirm Kavanaugh this weekend

The senator failed to mention a 2003 email statement written by Kavanaugh, in which the White House lawyer advised against calling Roe the 'settled law of the land.'
Kavanaugh, who had been serving as a lawyer during the Bush administration, said in an email made public by the Senate Judiciary Committee: 'I am not sure that all legal scholars refer to as the settled law of the land at the Supreme Court level since Court can always overrule its precedent, and three current Justices on the Court would do so.'
Last month, the judge responded to Senator Dianne Feinstein when asked about the topic. Kavanaugh once again referred to the law as 'precedent upon precedent.'
Kavanaugh said:  'I understand the importance that people attach to the Roe v. Wade decision, to the Planned Parenthood v. Casey decision.'
He did not specifically say whether he supports a woman's right to abortion, but rather, his support of the Constitution.
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4800382-6244921-image-a-5_1538757662179

+7

Collins (R-ME) arrives at the Office of Senate Security, which houses a 'sensitive compartmented information facility,' or SCIF, to review Kavanagh probe documents. She cast a key vote to advance the nomination Friday
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4800378-6244921-image-a-6_1538757701851

+7

Flake said he would vote for Kavanaugh 'unless something big changed'
The Senate voted 50-48 to confirm Kavanaugh, following another political saga that gripped the nation.
Collins, alongside Arizona Senator Jeff Flake, spent hours reviewing 45 pages of interview notes from the FBI investigation into the judge.  
Collins and Flake made multiple trips to a secure facility in a Capitol basement to review the results of the FBI's fast-paced background investigation.
The FBI interviewed nine people and reached out to ten, speaking to people including those identified by Christine Blasey Ford, who alleges Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her decades ago. 
Collins gave the White House a reason to be optimistic when she told CNN she found it to be a 'very thorough investigation.'
Both Collins and Flake voted with their party to cut off debate Friday and move ahead with a vote on Kavanaugh's nomination. 
Within hours of the Friday morning vote, Flake went further, revealing he would vote for Kavanaugh's confirmation 'unless something big' happens.
A reported nine people were interviewed in the FBI's five-day investigation.

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4800386-6244921-image-a-3_1538757646998

+7

Collins (2nd R), Republican of Maine, walks to a room to read the report on the FBI investigation into Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on October 4, 2018
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4800372-6244921-image-a-7_1538757746437

+7

The secure facility houses 45 pages of FBI interview notes and 1,600 pages of calls to their tipline
Christine Blasey Ford charged that Mark Judge, Kavanaugh's friend from Georgetown Prep, was in the room when she claims Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, groped her and covered her mouth when she screamed during a high school party in the 1980's.
Among the transcripts, is one of an interview with Judge.
Judge said in a statement he did not remember the incident but FBI agents spoke to him for three hours during their investigation.
Senator Charles Grassley of Iowa, the Judiciary Committee chairman, said the documents were exculpatory as soon as he was briefed on them.
'These uncorroborated accusations have been unequivocally and repeatedly rejected by Judge Kavanaugh, and neither the Judiciary Committee nor the FBI could locate any third parties who can attest to any of the allegations,' Grassley said. 
'There's also no contemporaneous evidence.'
Democrats charged that the White House prevented the FBI from doing a thorough probe that might have run down leads, and multiple Yale classmates of Kavanaugh's tried to contact the FBI but say they were not interviewed.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 10 Oct 2018, 18:58

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6260867/First-Lady-Melania-Trump-says-MeToo-victims-need-proof-sexual-misconduct.html

[size=34]'They need to show the evidence': First Lady Melania Trump says #MeToo victims need to have proof of sexual misconduct if they come forward, while voicing her support for men[/size]

• Melania Trump says on her ABC special that will air on Friday that women need to show more evidence when coming forward with sexual misconduct claims 

• 'I support the women and they need to be heard. We need to support them, and also men, not just women,' explains Melania 

• 'I do stand with women but we need to show the evidence. You cannot just say to somebody, I was, you know, sexually assaulted and or you did that,' she adds 

• She also reveals that she had been turned down by groups who would not partner with her Be Best initiative because of the administration

• The First Lady is asked about the state of her marriage and her husband's infidelity in the interview, which will air Friday at 10 pm

• She is asked why she wore the 'I Really Don't Care Do You?' jacket to visit immigrant children who had been separated at the border 

• Melania will answer that question and speak about hr husband's alleged infidelity on Friday 

By CHRIS SPARGO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 08:55 EDT, 10 October 2018 | UPDATED: 13:11 EDT, 10 October 2018

ABC News has released the first segment of its much anticipated interview with First Lady Melania Trump.
In the preview of her special, set to air on Friday, the First Lady is asked if she supports the #MeToo movement, which was revived on the hells of over a dozen women accusing her own husband of sexual assault or harassment. 
'I support the women and they need to be heard. We need to support them, and also men, not just women,' explains Melania.
'We need to have hard evidence that, you know, that if you are accused of something, show the evidence.'

The interview took place while the First Lady was in Kenya, and she can be seen wearing the same Ralph Lauren riding boots and pants as well as her Pith helmet.
'Being Melania – The First Lady' will air this Friday at 10pm on ABC, and the network claims that no question was off the table.
Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4920006-6260867-image-m-16_1539176180290

+5
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Fff-hover

Prove it: Melania Trump says on her ABC special (above in a preview that aired on GMA) that will air on Friday that women need to show more evidence when coming forward with sexual misconduct claims

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4920146-6260867-image-m-18_1539176407149

+5

So much support: 'I support the women and they need to be heard. We need to support them, and also men, not just women,' explains the First Lady (above with Tom Llamas)
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4920710-6260867-image-a-22_1539177242206

+5

Riddles: 'I do stand with women but we need to show the evidence. You cannot just say to somebody, I was, you know, sexually assaulted and or you did that,' she adds (First Lady in Egypt on Saturday above)
Chief National Affairs Correspondent Tom Llamas, who conducts the interview, points out that her answer to the #MeToo question might be seen as not supporting victims, a concern that the First Lady brushes aside.
'I do stand with women but we need to show the evidence. You cannot just say to somebody, I was, you know, sexually assaulted and or you did that to me,' she says.
'Because sometimes the media goes too far and the way they portray some stories, it's not correct. It's not right.'
 Prior to that, The First Lady was seen discussing how hard her job has been in the White House when it comes to finding partners with for her Be Best initiative.
'It's sad to see that organizations and foundations that I want to partner with chose not to because of the administration,' says the First Lady.
'I feel they are choosing the politics over helping others.'
When asked to name a charity or initiative that turned her down, the First Lady declines.
'I'm not going to talk about it, they know who they are,' she tells Llamas. 
'I'm not going to put them out in front of the world.'

A preview aired on Tuesday also showed that the First Lady is asked about the state of her marriage and her husband's infidelity.
'You're not the first first lady to have to deal with your husband's infidelities, has this put a strain on your marriage,' he later asks the First Lady. 
The preview ends with him asking about 'the jacket,' which the First Lady wore soon after her husband's justice department enacted an order which allowed parents and their children to be separated at the border. 
On a visit to one of the facilities housing those children, The First Lady wore a Zara jackets which read: 'I Really Don't Care Do You?' 
People, it turned out, did in fact care. 
And lastly, Llamas asks the third Mrs. Trump what the biggest misconception is about her.  
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4920704-6260867-image-a-27_1539177399489

+5

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4920706-6260867-Melania_jacket-a-3_1539183922578

+5

Pressing questions: The First Lady is asked about the state of her marriage and her husband's infidelity (pair on left in September)  in the interview and that jacket (right in June)

It has been over a year since Melania last gave an interview with a major network, and almost all of her appearances on television have been by her husband's side. 
Last June, the First Lady spoke with 'Fox & Friends' host Ainsley Earhardt in a segment that was filmed during the annual Congressional picnic. In is she revealed that she could not be happier, just two weeks after moving into the White House with son Barron.
'We are enjoying it very much,' Melania said then of her time at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
When asked how her then 11-year-old son was handling the move, Melania said: 'He loves it, yes all settled. He loves it here.'
'I'm so busy and we're doing so many great stuff. So it's really special place and I love it here,' said Melania, who was born in Slovenia.
She became a permanent resident of the United States back in 2001, and five years later she was able to obtain her citizenship after marrying President Trump.
Melania, who is only the second first lady to have been born outside the country, also spoke a bit about putting together her first Congressional picnic.
'Tonight, it's a great picnic, Congressional, picnic with all of us getting together,' said Melania.
'It's New York City team. And we have carousel and great stuff outside.'  
That interview with 'Fox & Friends' was far briefer and toned down than her chat with ABC, and was filmed in the largely nondescript Map Room of the White House.
It was also more Melania making a cameo in the interview, with a majority of the time being taken up by President Trump as he talked about healthcare, James Comey and what he believes are his biggest accomplishments since taking office.
The First Lady, who was asked just four questions during the 20 minute interview, smiled and nodded along approvingly as her husband spoke.
But there Donald will not be making an appearance in Friday's interview, instead allowing the limelight to fall solely on Melania.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Wed 10 Oct 2018, 21:53

Is that how Melania dismisses her husbands’s many accusers of his sexual misbehavior?  No hard evidence ... then it must not be true?  She is showing herself to be the vain and shallow person that I thought she was.  

The reason charitable groups won’t work with her on her ‘Be Best’ endeavor has nothing to do with politics.  It’s about the immoral, inhumane and lying man she’s married to.  How could any respectable charible organization work in tandem with an administration that separates families with no regard to children’s well being?

Last edited by Donnamarie on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 21:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct text)
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 10 Oct 2018, 21:59

Well we all knew she wasn't going to say anything that goes against the man who bank rolls her luxury life.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 10 Oct 2018, 23:35

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6261587/Top-House-Republican-introduce-bill-FULLY-fund-Trumps-23-4-billion-border-wall.html

[size=34]Top House Republican will introduce bill to FULLY fund Trump's $23.4 billion border wall in bid to make midterms a referendum on immigration (and no, Mexico isn't paying)[/size]

• House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy plans to introduce the legislation

• Congress appropriated $1.6 billion for improved border fencing 

•  Trump said at his Iowa rally Tuesday 'we keep getting big chunks and we keep building that wall'

• He said it's 'going up right now'

• Democrats and many Republicans are dug in against fully funding Trump's 2016 campaign promise

• Trump said during his campaign Mexico would pay for the wall 

By GEOFF EARLE, DEPUTY U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 16:20 EDT, 10 October 2018 | UPDATED: 17:19 EDT, 10 October 2018

House Republicans leaders are preparing to introduce a bill to provide full funding for President Trump's border wall in a gambit to reinsert immigration into the midterm elections.
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy is introducing the 'Build the Wall, Enforce the Law Act,' which would authorize the funding – while also cutting off funds for 'sanctuary cities' and making it easier to deport immigrant gang members. 
Having McCarthy on board gives the effort a leadership seal of approval. 
The bill would authorize another $23 billion for the border wall, on top of the $1.6 billion in funding already appropriated. It would face long odds in the Senate, but that won't prevent lawmakers from using it for messaging.
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4927958-6261587-image-a-34_1539202220890

+5

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy of Califoria, who is facing a challenge as he runs for speaker, is introducing legislation to provide $23 billion for President Trump's border wall
The $1.6 billion came as part of a huge omnibus spending bill for the current year. It caps funding for 'border barrier planning and design' at $38 million, and targets the rest for border security. 

Trump and McCarthy have kept close throughout Trump's presidency, with Trump talking up his big for speaker – though McCarthy once got caught on tape saying privately he thought Trump was one of two Republicans who could be bought by the Russians. He said he was joking.
'For decades, America's inability to secure our borders and stop illegal immigration has encouraged millions to undertake a dangerous journey to come here in violation of our laws and created a huge loophole to the legal channels to the immigration process where America welcomes immigrants to our country,' said McCarthy in a statement provided to Breitbart.com, the conservative outlet that first reported his sponsorship.
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4927950-6261587-image-a-30_1539202186726

+5

'We're building the wall,' Trump said at a campaign rally Tuesday in Iowa
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4927948-6261587-image-a-31_1539202196388

+5

In this Aug. 11, 2017, file photo, a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol vehicle passes along a section of border levee wall in Hidalgo, Texas. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018, that it will waive environmental laws so it can build gates between sections of border barriers in South Texas' Rio Grande Valley. The waiver posted online Tuesday lists 11 locations where the government plans to install gates in existing fencing. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4927946-6261587-image-a-32_1539202207329

+5

U.S. workers are seen next to heavy machinery while working on a new bollard wall in El Paso, Texas, as seen from the Mexican side of the border in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico September 26, 2018. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4927954-6261587-image-a-33_1539202214234

+5

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy of Calif., center, is introducing immigration as opinion polls show Democrats have a lead in the generic ballot test versus Democrats
McCarthy is facing a challenge in his run for speaker from conservative Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio, a Freedom Caucus member. 
'President Trump’s election was a wakeup call to Washington. The American people want us to build the wall and enforce the law. Maintaining strong borders is one of the basic responsibilities of any nation. For too long, America has failed in this responsibility,' McCarthy said.
'We intend on having a full-fledged discussion on how to complete our mission to secure the border, and yes, we will have a fight about this,” Speaker Paul Ryan said this week. 

During Trump's evening rally in Iowa Tuesday, a boisterous crowd once again cheered 'Build that wall!' – a staple of Trump campaign rallies in 2016.
But Trump has dropped his repeated mention that Mexico will pay for it.  
'And we've built the wall -- we're building the wall,' Trump said Tuesday evening. 'We've started. A lot of it's getting done right now. We got $1.6 billion. Another $1.6 billion. And another $1.6 billion. I want 'em to give us the money so I can build it – we can build it in a year. But we've done a lot of it. It's going up right now,' Trump said.  
Trump continued: 'But when it comes to the wall, they feel we want it so badly, but we keep getting big chunks and we keep building that wall. And it's under construction. And we're going to get it finished sooner than anyone would believe. And if you could get me some Republicans, we'll get it done quickly. Quickly,' Trump said. 
McCarthy tweeted out a link to the story, and even included Trump's 'Make America Great Again' acronym.
'Few things are more fundamental to a nation than a protected border. Proud to introduce the Build the Wall, Enforce the Law Act. #MAGA,' McCarthy wrote. 
ADVERTISEMENT

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 11 Oct 2018, 15:22

https://people.com/politics/melania-trump-most-bullied-person-in-the-world-abc-interview/

[size=40]First Lady Melania Trump Says She's 'the Most Bullied Person in the World'

[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fpolitics%2Fmelania-trump-most-bullied-person-in-the-world-abc-interview%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20181011%26utm_term%3D6636913&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F10%2Fmelania-trump-1-2000.jpg&description=First Lady Melania Trump Says She%27s %27the Most Bullied Person in the World%27][/url][url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=First Lady Melania Trump Says She%27s %27the Most Bullied Person in the World%27][/url][/size]
[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fpolitics%2Fmelania-trump-most-bullied-person-in-the-world-abc-interview%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20181011%26utm_term%3D6636913&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F10%2Fmelania-trump-1-2000.jpg&description=First Lady Melania Trump Says She%27s %27the Most Bullied Person in the World%27][/url]
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F10%2Fmelania-trump-1-2000
Melania Trump
SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 59d6486f5205aabdbf65fd1a39fa97ee?s=300&d=blank&r=g
DAVE QUINN 
October 11, 2018 08:35 AM
Melania Trump‘s anti-bullying agenda is driven by her own experience, she says — as “the most bullied person in the world.”
In a sit-down with ABC News, the first lady told chief national affairs correspondent Tom Llamas that her “Be Best” policy platform targeting online bullies is personal.
“I could say that I’m the most bullied person in the world,” she said in the sit-down, taped during her recent tour of Africa. “One of them — if you really see what people are saying about me.”
“That’s why ‘Be Best’ is focusing on online behavior and social media,” Mrs. Trump continued. “We need to educate the children [about] social, emotional behavior.”
RELATED: Melania Trump Responds to Cries of ‘Hypocrisy’ Over Her Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign

[ltr]

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 KqMRtyNHfgFWM8Oq?format=jpg&name=small[/ltr]

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Ny06RNTT_normal

ABC News

✔️@ABC

[ltr]EXCLUSIVE: First lady Melania Trump says her “Be Best” policy platform targeting online bullies is personal. “I could say that I’m the most bullied person in the world,” she tells ABC. https://abcn.ws/2CCgLwP [/ltr]

6:40 AM - Oct 11, 2018

• 1,236 people are talking about this

Mrs. Trump first pledged to combat the rise of cyberbullying a few days before her husband Donald Trump won the election in November 2016.

Critics have called the first lady hypocritical for adopting the cause, given the president’s well-documented habit of lashing out at his foes on Twitter, often using degrading and even sometimes racist nicknames.
“I am well aware that people are skeptical of me discussing the topic,” she said back in March. “I have been criticized for my commitment to tackling this issue and I know that will continue, but it will not stop me from doing what I know is right. I am here with one goal: helping children and our next generation.”
Previously, Mrs. Trump has defended the harsh words her husband uses on Twitter. “As you may know by now, when you attack him he will punch back 10 times harder,” she told a crowd in Milwaukee back in April 2016. “No matter who you are, a man or a woman, he treats everyone equal.”

RELATED VIDEO: PEOPLE Writer Natasha Stoynoff Breaks Silence, Accuses Donald Trump of Sexual Attack

Last September, the first lady spoke out against bullying at a U.N. luncheon. “It remains our generation’s moral imperative to take responsibility for what our children learn. We must turn our focus right now to the message and content they are exposed to on a daily basis — social media, the bullying,” she said at an event for spouses of world leaders at the U.S. Mission to the United Nations.

“When we join together as parents caring for children, whether they live in our own families, across the street, across the nation, or across the globe, we claim our responsibility to the next generation to ensure they are prepared to accept the torch of leadership for the world of tomorrow.”
The former model — who is a mother to Mr. Trump’s youngest son, 12-year-old Barron — also spoke about the importance of setting a good example for children.
“The most important and joyous role I ever had is to be a mother to a young son,” she said. “We must teach each other the values of empathy and communication … kindness, mindfulness, integrity and leadership, which can only be taught by example.”

[url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/link/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fpolitics%2Fmelania-trump-most-bullied-person-in-the-world-abc-interview%2F%3Futm_source%3Dpinterest.com%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocial-share-article%26utm_content%3D20181011%26utm_term%3D6636913&media=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F10%2Fmelania-trump-5.jpg&description=First Lady Melania Trump Says She%27s %27the Most Bullied Person in the World%27][/url]
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F10%2Fmelania-trump-5
Melania Trump
BEN CURTIS/POOL/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock
Also in her chat with ABC News, Mrs. Trump said that she hasn’t trusted some of the people in her husband’s administration.
“It’s harder to govern,” she said. “You always need to watch your back.”
ABC News’ full interview with the first lady, titled Being Melania — The First Lady, airs Friday (10 p.m. ET).

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 11 Oct 2018, 19:06

I find it really difficult to reconcile her words with the fact that she continues to support the bully she married. I don't envy her trying to teach her child all the virtues she mentions, while her husband displays none of them. Major case of "Do as I say, not as you see your father do". I'm afraid the poor kid's going to be really screwed up.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 11 Oct 2018, 19:34

Lizzy , if she doesn't support him she will lose everything, let's be honest she was no super model when she did model.
He was her ticket to the luxury life she wanted. 

I think she is just as full of herself as he is , she is the most bullied , please . If this were about the kids then it should have stemmed from what they were going through not her being bullied.

Every time she opens her mouth, she just proves she is not too bright. What smart woman would actually marry that idiot.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 11 Oct 2018, 20:42

Annemarie - I have no sympathy for her. If she saw him as her meal ticket she's paying a high price for it. When she said she was "the most bullied person n the world", I assumed she meant by her husband. He apparently has no more respect for her than for any other woman (except Ivanka). Can you imagine being married to that pig?! IMO there's not enough money in the world.

Oh, and I don't think she'd walk away with nothing if she left. Even if she did, who cares? She's been living off the rest of us long enough.

I just meant that I felt sorry for Barron to be the product of that marriage.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 11 Oct 2018, 20:52

Nope, she was talking about what people say about her on the internet that kind of bullying. 
Like her idiot of a husband , this is about her i'm sorry your a grown woman stop reading the internet.
Surely, as first lady there are more important things she had to do than read everything that is written or daid
about her.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Fri 12 Oct 2018, 01:15

Melania will never accomplish much of substance in this White House.  Sadly the woman has no credibility.  She is as self serving as the rest of the Trump bunch.  I feel bad for Barron too.  I wonder at this point if he’s a lost cause.
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 12 Oct 2018, 02:09

Can't help but compare her talking about herself and Michelle Obama today talking about helping others at the International Day of the Girl.........

Seem to remember a Trump documentary pre-presidency of him talking about Barron bossing the servants about, so maybe you're right Donnamarie

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 12 Oct 2018, 15:34

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6269435/Melania-Trump-says-husbands-alleged-affairs-Stormy-Daniels-no-concern.html

[size=34]'I've got much more important things to think about: Melania Trump says her husband's alleged affairs with Stormy Daniels and others are of 'no concern' to her and insists she loves the president[/size]

• The First Lady is asked about having to 'deal with her husband's alleged infidelities' and whether 'this put a strain' on their marriage 

• 'It is not a concern and focus of mine. I'm a mother and a first lady and I have much more important things to think about and to do,' she replies

• The First Lady is not asked at any point in the interview previews if she thinks her husband had affairs with other women  

• Later in the interview, Melania  expresses how much it bothered her when Rudy Giuliani said she did not believe her husband had an affair with Stormy Daniels

• 'Being Melania – The First Lady' will air this Friday at 10pm on ABC, and the network claims that no question was off the table  

• She says that women need to show more evidence when coming forward with sexual misconduct claims in a preview that was released on Wednesday 

• The First Lady will speak about her husband's alleged infidelity and why she wore an 'I Really Don't Care Do You?' jacket to a child detention facility on Friday

By CHRIS SPARGO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 
PUBLISHED: 08:16 EDT, 12 October 2018 | UPDATED: 09:54 EDT, 12 October 2018

Melania Trump is finally addressing her husband's alleged affair with adult film star Stormy Daniels.
In an interview with ABC News' Tom Llamas, the First Lady is asked about having to 'deal with her husband's alleged infidelities' and whether 'this put a strain' on their marriage.
The moment the question is asked, the First Lady's face gets visibly tense and a look of fear creeps into her eyes. 
'It is not a concern and focus of mine. I'm a mother and a first lady and I have much more important things to think about and to do,' replies the First Lady.

'I know people like to speculate and media like to speculate about our marriage and circulate the gossip but I understand the gossip sells newspapers, magazines, getting advertisers and, unfortunately, we live in this kind of world today.'
The interview then moves on, with the First Lady never being asked point blank whether or not she thinks President Trump has had affairs over the course of their marriage.  
Scroll down for videos
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 51410D2600000578-6269435-image-a-12_1539346592832

+7

The fear: The First Lady is asked about having to 'deal with her husband's alleged infidelities' and whether 'this put a strain' on their marriage' (the First Lady with a look of fear as the question is being asked during the interview)
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 51410D2600000578-6269435-image-a-12_1539346592832

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Fff-logo-lowercase
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Hub_link

Look chic in a crisp white shirt like Melania

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Preload-inline

$180

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 03108afa3ad3d0d368096ebdc97108d1
Polo Ralph Lauren shirt

Buy a similar one at Farfetch

Buy now

Melania Trump is really getting into her African trip, and so is her wardrobe. The First Lady is looking iconic in safari chic with this head-to-toe Polo Ralph Lauren look pairing a white shirt with tan breeches and luxe leather riding boots.
A white shirt is the ultimate staple that will always lend a smart, confident finish to your look whether you're feeding baby elephants at the sanctuary or presenting to a room full of clients. Our favorite is to style with jeans and heels for city cool.
Melania is a big fan of Ralph Lauren, click right to check out a similar style at Farfetch now or, get the look for less with our edit below...
* PRICES MAY NOT BE AS ADVERTISED

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4989996-6269435-image-a-17_1539346758893

+7

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4989992-6269435-image-m-16_1539346750072

+7

Dodging the storm: The First Lady is not asked at any point in the interview previews if she thinks her husband had affairs with other women (left with Stormy Daniels in 2007, Daniels on right in October)

ExpandClose
When later asked if she has been hurt by all the news stories and speculation about her husband's alleged liaisons, Melania says 'it's not always pleasant, of course. But I know what is right and what is wrong and what is true or not true.' 
And when asked if she has a good marriage and loves her husband, the First Lady states: 'Yes, we are fine, yes. It's what media speculate and it's gossip, it's not always correct stuff.'
Things are not fine however between her and Rudy Giuliani, who she appears to still be angry with ever since he declared during a television interview that she did not believe her husband had an affair with Stormy Daniels. 
'She believes in her husband and knows it's not true. I don't even think there's a slight suspicion,' said Giuliani at the time, prompting the First Lady to release a statement that reminded the public that she speaks for herself.
'I never talked to Mr. Giuliani,' declares the First Lady, who is then asked why she thinks he made that statement.
'I don't know. You need to ask him,' she states. 

The First Lady also opens up about the frequent attacks and criticism she has endured since her husband took office.
‘I could say that I'm the most bullied person in the world,’ says the First Lady.
When Llamas then presses her on this notion, the First Lady reaffirms her statement, saying: ‘One of them - if you really see what people are saying about me.’
This is the same woman who last year responded to a writer receiving death threats in response to a profile she wrote about the First Lady by stating: ' She provoked them.'  
She explains that the bullying she endures on a daily basis led in part to her creation of the Be Best initiative.
Her announcement of the anti-bullying initiative and these most recent remarks made no mention however of her husband, who in just the past week very publicly declared that an alleged victim of sexual misconduct was a liar.
The First Lady does talk about her husband’s administration in the interview, noting that it is hard to govern and saying that she does not trust all those around him inside 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Llamas asks her if she believes there are people her husband ‘can’t trust,’ prompting her to reply: ‘You always need to watch your back.’
When asked if she has 100 percent control over her husband, Melania laughs and says: 'I wish.' 
She then adds: 'I give him my honest advice and honest opinions. And then he does what he wants to do.'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4990318-6269435-image-a-18_1539347283732

+7

Weasel: Later in the interview, Melania expresses how much it bothered her when Rudy Giuliani (above in 2001) said she did not believe her husband had an affair with Stormy Daniels

Being Melania – The First Lady will air this Friday at 10pm on ABC, and the network claims that no question was off the table.  
In a preview of her special that was released on Wednesday, the First Lady is asked if she supports the #MeToo movement, which was revived on the hells of over a dozen women accusing her own husband of sexual assault or harassment.
'I support the women and they need to be heard. We need to support them, and also men, not just women,' explains Melania.
'We need to have hard evidence that, you know, that if you are accused of something, show the evidence.' 
Llamas points out that her answer to the #MeToo question might be seen as not supporting victims, a concern that the First Lady brushes aside.
'I do stand with women but we need to show the evidence. You cannot just say to somebody, I was, you know, sexually assaulted and or you did that to me,' she says.
'Because sometimes the media goes too far and the way they portray some stories, it's not correct. It's not right.'
Prior to that, The First Lady was seen discussing how hard her job has been in the White House when it comes to finding partners with for her Be Best initiative.
'It's sad to see that organizations and foundations that I want to partner with chose not to because of the administration,' says the First Lady.
'I feel they are choosing the politics over helping others.'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4920710-6269435-Foreign_types_with_the_hookah_pipes_say_I_do_stand_with_women_bu-a-1_1539349124059

+7

Foreign types with the hookah pipes say: 'I do stand with women but we need to show the evidence. You cannot just say to somebody, I was, you know, sexually assaulted and or you did that,' she adds (First Lady in Egypt on Saturday above)
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4920704-6260867-image-a-27_1539177399489

+7

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4920706-6260867-Melania_jacket-a-61_1539258224155

+7

Pressing questions: The First Lady is asked about the state of her marriage and her husband's infidelity (pair on left in September)  in the interview and that jacket (right in June)
When asked to name a charity or initiative that turned her down, the First Lady declines.
'I'm not going to talk about it, they know who they are,' she tells Llamas.
'I'm not going to put them out in front of the world.'
A preview aired on Tuesday also showed that the First Lady is asked about the state of her marriage and her husband's infidelity.
'You're not the first first lady to have to deal with your husband's infidelities, has this put a strain on your marriage,' he later asks the First Lady.
The preview ends with him asking about 'the jacket,' which the First Lady wore soon after her husband's justice department enacted an order which allowed parents and their children to be separated at the border.
On a visit to one of the facilities housing those children, The First Lady wore a Zara jackets which read: 'I Really Don't Care Do You?'
People, it turned out, did in fact care.
And lastly, Llamas asks the third Mrs. Trump what the biggest misconception is about her.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Fri 12 Oct 2018, 15:40

It's no concern because it was part of the deal when she married him. He has never been faithful to any of his wives.
She was fine with it no one knew what he was up to before he got into the White House.
She has the luxury life and he does what he pleases.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 12 Oct 2018, 16:04

I'm sure she's fine with it. It keeps him away from her! Very Happy
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 15 Oct 2018, 11:17

Lol, true Lizzy we all know she doesn't want to hold his hand can't imagine she wants to be anywhere near him.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 15 Oct 2018, 11:19

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6276323/Trump-Climate-change-not-hoax-I-don-t-know-s-manmade.html

[size=34]Trump says climate change scientists have a 'political agenda' and casts doubt on whether humans are responsible for earth's rising temperatures[/size]

• U.S. President Donald Trump has backed off his claim that climate change is a hoax but said he does not know if it is manmade 

• In an interview with CBS' 60 Minutes, Trump said he does not want to put the US at a disadvantage in responding to climate change 

• 'I think something's happening. Something's changing and it'll change back again,' he said 

• Trump also expressed doubt in the 60 Minutes interview over scientists' findings linking the changing climate to more powerful hurricanes

• 'They (people) say that we had hurricanes that were far worse than what we just had with Michael,' said Trump 

By PRESS ASSOCIATION
PUBLISHED: 00:29 EDT, 15 October 2018 UPDATED: 05:09 EDT, 15 October 2018

• [email=?subject=Read%20this:%20Trump%20says%20climate%20change%20scientists%20have%20a%20%27political%20agenda%27%20and%20casts%20doubt%20on%20whether%20humans%20are%20responsible%20for%20earth%27s%20rising%20temperatures&body=Trump%20says%20climate%20change%20scientists%20have%20a%20%27political%20agenda%27%20and%20casts%20doubt%20on%20whether%20humans%20are%20responsible%20for%20earth%27s%20rising%20temperatures%0A%0AUS%20president%20Donald%20Trump%20has%20backed%20off%20his%20claim%20that%20climate%20change%20is%20a%20hoax%20but%20said%20he%20does%20not%20know%20if%20it%20is%20manmade%2C%20in%20an%20interview%20with%20CBS%27%2060%20Minutes.%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6276323%2FTrump-Climate-change-not-hoax-I-don-t-know-s-manmade.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top%0A%0A%0AMost%20Read%20Articles%3A%0A%0A%27We%20were%20trying%20to%20hide%20what%20we%20were%20doing%27%3A%20Aaron%20Hernandez%27s%20secret%20gay%20lover%20speaks%20about%20their%20schoolboy%20sexual%20relationship%20for%20first%20time%2C%20as%20NFL%20star%27s%20brother%20reveals%20he%20was%20MOLESTED%20as%20a%20child%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6274957%2FAaron-Hernandez-secret-high-school-gay-lover-speaks-out.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0AThe%20Royals%20touch%20down%20in%20Australia%21%20Meghan%20Markle%20beams%20as%20she%20arrives%20in%20Sydney%20with%20Prince%20Harry%20to%20begin%20their%20first%20overseas%20tour%20as%20a%20married%20couple%C2%A0%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6275285%2FPrince-Harry-Meghan-arrive-dawn-Australian-tour-ten-person-entourage.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0A%27She%20was%20an%20adult%20at%20the%20time%3A%27%20Hillary%20Clinton%20says%20her%20husband%27s%20affair%20with%20intern%20Monica%20Lewinsky%2C%2022%2C%20was%20NOT%20an%20abuse%20of%20power%20and%20he%20was%20right%20not%20to%20resign%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6274907%2FHillary-Clinton-says-Bills-affair-NOT-abuse-power.html%3Fito%3Demail_share_article-top_most-read-articles%0A%0A]e-mail[/email]

[size=32]30
shares

[/size]
[size=32]945[/size]
[size]

[/size]
View comments
[size]
[/size]

U.S. President Donald Trump has backed off his claim that climate change is a hoax but said he does not know if it is manmade.
In an interview with CBS' 60 Minutes, Trump said he does not want to put the US at a disadvantage in responding to climate change.
'I think something's happening. Something's changing and it'll change back again,' he said.
'I don't think it's a hoax. I think there's probably a difference. But I don't know that it's manmade. I will say this: I don't want to give trillions and trillions of dollars. I don't want to lose millions and millions of jobs.'

Scroll down for video 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046520-6276323-President_Donald_Trump_alternated_between_defensive_and_snappy_i-a-14_1539585215976

+2

Trump and Stahl engaged in several contentious back-and-forths on almost every topic
Trump called climate change a hoax in November 2012 when he sent a tweet stating, 'The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make US manufacturing non-competitive.'
He later said he was joking about the Chinese connection, but in years since has continued to call global warming a hoax.
'I'm not denying climate change,' he said in the interview. 'But it could very well go back. You know, we're talking about over a … millions of years.'
Temperature records kept by Nasa and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration show that the world has not had a cooler-than-average year since 1976 or a cooler-than-normal month since the end of 1985.

[size=10][size=18]Trump tells '60 Minutes' that Mattis 'may leave' his position

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:07

Previous
Play
Skip
Unmute

[/size][/size]
Current Time0:07
/
Duration Time1:06
[size][size][size]
Fullscreen

SHARE THIS

MORE VIDEOS
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4971374-0-image-a-13_1539294498661

Drone footage reveals staggering devastation post…

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4866138-0-image-a-28_1539022993485

Comedians harass Fox host Brian Kilmeade on New Yor…

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4897350-0-image-a-4_1539109349600

Trump responds to Hillary Clinton over Kavanaugh's s…

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4993216-0-image-a-7_1539351537774

Devastating aerial footage of obliterated Mexico Beach

[/size][/size]

RELATED ARTICLES

[/size]

• Previous

• Next

• The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5048288-0-image-a-16_1539579334046Donald's tea party: Eagle-eyed 60 Minutes viewers spot...The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5043954-0-image-m-15_1539555807548'It disrespects the country I love': Alabama grocery store...The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5044918-0-image-m-23_1539559256293The birthday boy! Donald Trump shares sweet snaps of his...The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5045518-0-image-m-35_1539561458556'It's okay. In the meantime, I'm president and you're not':...

[size]

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

[size=35]30 shares[/size]

[/size]
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 Hdo5IGnd_normal

60 Minutes

✔️@60Minutes

[ltr]“I don’t think it’s a hoax,” President Trump says of climate change. “But it--I don’t know that it’s manmade.”[/ltr]
7:37 PM - Oct 14, 2018

• 315 people are talking about this

[size][ltr]
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[/ltr]

Trump, who is scheduled on Monday to visit areas of Georgia and Florida damaged by Hurricane Michael, also expressed doubt over scientists' findings linking the changing climate to more powerful hurricanes.
'They say that we had hurricanes that were far worse than what we just had with Michael,' said Trump, who identified 'they' as 'people' after being pressed by 60 Minutes correspondent Leslie Stahl.
She asked, 'What about the scientists who say it's worse than ever?'
The president replied, 'You'd have to show me the scientists because they have a very big political agenda.'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5039976-6275869-image-a-52_1539565407179

+2

President Trump and CBS' Lesley Stahl taped their interview at the White House
Trump's comments came just days after a Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change issued a warning that global warming would increase climate-related risks to health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth.
The report detailed how Earth's weather, health and ecosystems would be in better shape if the world's leaders could somehow limit future human-caused warming.
Citing concerns about the pact's economic impact, Trump said in 2017 that the US will leave the Paris climate accord.
The agreement set voluntary greenhouse gas emission targets in an effort to lessen the impact of fossil fuels.[/size]

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 15 Oct 2018, 11:22

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6275869/Trump-really-think-Id-call-Russia-help-election.html

[size=34]'It's okay. In the meantime, I'm president and you're not': Trump gets contentious as CBS' Lesley Stahl challenges him on Russian meddling, Brett Kavanaugh, and his running of the White House[/size]

• President Trump talked to '60 Minutes' for an interview that ran on Sunday

• The 30 minute sit down covered a wide range of issues, including climate change, NATO, North Korea, Russia and Brett Kavanaugh's nomination 

• He dismissed talk Russia helped him win the 2016 presidential election

• 'Do you really think I'd call Russia to help me with an election?' he said

• Trump claimed if he hadn't made his speech mocking Christine Blasey Ford, then Kavanaugh would not have been confirmed to the Supreme Court

• 'Had I not made that speech, we would not have won,' he said 

• He also said 'maybe it was The New York Times' who wrote the resistance op-ed that ran in its newspaper about his administration 

• He again criticized his Attorney General Jeff Sessions

• He declined to pledge to not shut down special counsel Robert Mueller's probe

• 'I don't pledge anything. But I will tell you, I have no intention of doing that,' he said of stopping the Russia investigation 

• He said of Washington D.C.: 'This is the most deceptive, vicious world'

• He denied his White House is in chaos: 'It's wrong. It's so false. It's fake news'

PUBLISHED: 19:58 EDT, 14 October 2018 | UPDATED: 23:40 EDT, 14 October 2018

President Donald Trump alternated between defensive and snappy in a wide-ranging interview with '60 Minutes' anchor Lesley Stahl on Sunday as the two went round-after-round of verbal fisticuffs over a variety of topics. 
The interview, which aired for about 30 minutes, was filled with a lighting round of questions and answers. Trump and Stahl engaged in several contentious back-and-forths on almost every topic- climate change, tariffs, NATO, North Korea, Russia and Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation. 
'It's okay. In the meantime, I'm president and you're not,' he told after one long exchange.  
It was the president's first sit down with '60 Minutes' since he entered the White House and it comes less than a month before voters head to the polls for November's midterm election.
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046520-6275869-image-a-53_1539565485085

+22

President Donald Trump alternated between defensive and snappy in a wide-ranging interview with '60 Minutes' anchor Lesley Stahl 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046654-6275869-image-a-58_1539566218725

+22

Trump and Stahl engaged in several contentious back-and-forths on almost every topic
The fireworks began in the first minutes and continued to when the credits rolled. 

There were several memorable moments.
RUSSIA 
Trump dismissed talk that Russia helped him win the White House in the 2016 presidential election.
'Do you really think I'd call Russia to help me with an election? Give me a break. They wouldn't be able to help me at all. Call Russia. It's so ridiculous,' the president said. 
Russia's role in the election - and whether the Trump campaign colluded with Moscow - is the subject of special counsel Robert Mueller's probe, which Trump calls a 'witch hunt.' He has repeatedly and forcefully denied collusion with Russia. 
He also argued he is tough with Russian President Vladimir Putin in private after Stahl asked him about his friendly demeanor with his counterpart in their now-infamous press conference in Helsinki in July.
'I think I'm very tough with him personally. I had a meeting with him. The two of us. It was a very tough meeting and it was a very good meeting,' the president said. 
He also conceded, when asked, that Putin is 'probably' involved in political assassinations.
'Probably he is, yeah. Probably,' Trump said.
British officials claim Russian militants were dispatched to the United Kingdom to kill Sergei Skripal, a former Russian spy who had given information to British intelligence, charges Moscow has denied. 

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046124-6275869-image-a-47_1539563748164

+22

President Trump and President Putin in Helsinki in July
One of the heated back-and-forths with Stahl was on whether he thinks Moscow meddled in the election, which U.S. intelligence agencies contend happened. 
Trump started a firestorm of criticism from Republicans and Democrats alike when he agreed with Putin in their July press conference that Moscow didn't meddle. He later walked that back, saying his misspoke and he did believe the finding of U.S. intelligence.
'Do you believe that the Russians interfered in the 2016 campaign election?,' Stahl asked. 
'They meddled. But I think China meddled too,' he said.
Stahl pressed him on why he included China. 
'Why do you say China, why don't you just say the Russians meddled?,' she asked.
'Because I think China meddled also,' he said. 'And I think, frankly, China--'
'This is amazing,' Stahl interrupted. 'You are diverting the whole Russia thing.'
'I'm not doing anything,' the president replied.
'You are, you are,' Stahl injected.
'I'm saying Russia, but I'm also saying China,' he said.
Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046020-6275869-image-a-41_1539563329390

+22

President Trump at an Oct. 2 campaign rally in Mississippi where he mocked Christine Ford
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046022-6275869-image-m-45_1539563376422
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046026-6275869-image-a-46_1539563384175

'Had I not made that speech, we would not have won,' Trump said of his remarks on Christine Blasey Ford (right), which came before the Senate voted on Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation
The two went at it again when Stahl asked the president about his speech in Mississippi during Kavanaugh's confirmation process, where he mocked Christine Blasey Ford, who had accused Kavanaugh of pinning her to a bed, groping her and covering her mouth when she screamed during a teenage party in the 1980s.
Kavanaugh denied the allegations and Trump mocked Ford's testimony on her accusation before the Senate Judiciary Committee in what he called his 'famous Mississippi speech.' 
'Had I not made that speech, we would not have won,' the president told '60 Minutes.' 'I was just saying she didn't seem to know anything.'
At his rally in Mississippi, he mocked Ford for not remembering more details of the evening, including how much she drank, where the party took place or how she got home.
His remarks came a few days before the Senate voted on his Supreme Court nominee. Kavanaugh was confirmed in a close 50-48 vote.   
But Trump argued he wasn't really mocking her. 
'I didn't really make fun of her,' he said.
'Well, they were laughing,' Stahl said of the crowd at the rally.
'What I said the person that we're talking about didn't know the year, the time, the place,' Trump said. 
'Do you think you treated her with respect?,' Stahl asked.
'I think so, yeah. I did,' he said. 
Stahl pressed the president: 'But you seem to be saying that she lied.'
'You know what? I'm not gonna get into it because we won. It doesn't matter. We won,' the president said. 
ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046440-6275869-image-a-49_1539565263755

+22

Trump defended his 'zero tolerance' immigration policy, which resulted in children being separated from their families as seen in this June 2018 photo of children at a facility in McAllen, Texas
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046442-6275869-image-a-50_1539565312714

+22

First lady Melania Trump visited a detention center in McAllen, Texas, in June
The president also offered a forceful defense of his 'zero tolerance' immigration policy, which resulted in immigrant children being separated from their families who illegally crossed the border.
'The same as the Obama law. You know, Obama had the same thing,' Trump said of his predecessor Barack Obama.
Stahl pointed out Obama did not enforce the law but Trump did. 
'No,' Trump said. 'But then everybody decided and the courts don't want separation. And frankly, when you don't do separa - when you allow the parents to stay together, okay, when you allow that, then what happens is people are gonna pour into our country.' 
He added: 'There have to be consequences, Lesley, for coming into our country illegally.'
He also said he was to blame for the illegal immigration numbers. 
'I have to blame myself, the economy is so strong that everybody wants to come into the United States,' he said.
In June, Trump abandoned his policy after images of youngsters in cages sparked outrage at home and abroad. It was a policy that even his wife Melania and daughter Ivanka criticized.
 Attorney General Jeff Session
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5035390-6275869-Attorney_General_Jeff_Sessions-a-75_1539569558076

+22

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 4902102-6275869-Justice_Department_chief_of_staff_Matthew_Whitaker_is_emerging_a-m-74_1539569549113

+22

Attorney General Jeff Sessions (left) is said to be on the way out; Trump spoke with Sessions' chief of staff Matthew Whitaker (right) about replacing him
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5045516-6275869-image-a-40_1539562614151

+22

Trump and interviewer Lesley Stahl engaged in several contentious back-and-forths on almost every topic
Trump also again expressed his disappointment in his Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who has become someone he regularly criticizes in interviews and on Twitter, for recusing himself from overseeing special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation. 
'I was disappointed that he recused himself and many people think I was right on that. I was very disappointed. Why should he have recused himself?,' Trump said. 
But the president also cautioned no one could assume Sessions will be gone from the Justice Department after the midterms - an item that had been much talked about in Washington's favorite parlor game of who will is in and who is out.
'No. No. You can't assume that,' he said.
He also declined to pledge not to shut down Mueller's probe. 
'I don't pledge anything. But I will tell you, I have no intention of doing that. I think it's a very unfair investigation because there was no collusion of any kind,' he said.  
Trump has spoken personally with Sessions' chief of staff Matthew Whitaker about replacing the attorney general in late September, according to a West Wing aide.
Sessions' unsteady future has been the subject of news stories and cocktail party chatter for months. Unfounded rumors two weeks ago about Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein's departure fed discussions of a wholesale shakeup at the top of the DOJ.
Rosenstein, however, appears to be staying.
Senior Republicans told DailyMail.com on Monday that Whitaker is in a 'grooming exercise' to become attorney general, and was expected to become acting deputy attorney general until Rosenstein's planned resignation evaporated.
That would have been a dry-run for the top job.
Sessions, when he was a senator from Alabama, was one of Trump's earliest supporters on Capitol Hill - loyalty that earned him the top spot at the Justice Department. 
But he met with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak twice during the campaign and did not disclose that to the Senate Judiciary Committee during his January confirmation hearing. 
It ultimately led to him recusing himself from overseeing the investigation into Russia's role in the 2016 election, a move that infuriated the president.
'VICIOUS' WASHINGTON D.C. 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5045518-6275869-image-a-31_1539561401931

+22

Trump said Washington D.C. was vicious
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5045512-6275869-image-a-32_1539561406051

+22

The president spoke to CBS' Lesley Stahl in his first interview with the program since he entered the White House
In the interview, Trump also had strong words for Washington D.C.'s political establishment, calling them 'vicious.' 
'I always used to say the toughest people are Manhattan real estate guys and blah, blah. Now I say they're babies,' he said.
He added: 'They're babies, the political people. This is the most deceptive, vicious world. It is vicious, it's full of lies, deceit and deception. You make a deal with somebody and it's like making a deal with that table.'
Trump was a political outsider when he was elected, having never previously held public office. 
He went to say of the U.S. capitol that 'it's a very deceptive world. The other thing I've really learned is I never knew how dishonest the media was. And I really mean it. I'm not saying that as a sound bite...'
Stahl interrupted him: 'I'm gonna change the subject again.'
Trump snapped at her again: 'Well, no, even the way you asked me a question, like, about separation. When I say Obama did it, you don't wanna talk about it.''
'I'm gonna run your answer, but you did it four times,' Stahl said.
'I'm just telling you that you treated me much differently on the subject,' Trump complained.
'I disagree, but I don't wanna have that fight with you,' Stahl said.
Trump responded: 'Hey, it's okay.'
'All right, I'll get in another fight with you,' she said. 
'Lesley, it's okay. In the meantime, I'm president and you're not,' Trump said.
THE NEW YORK TIMES OP-ED
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046524-6275869-image-a-60_1539567105610

+22

President Trump said said 'maybe it was The New York Times' who wrote the resistance op-ed that ran in its newspaper about his administration
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046522-6275869-image-a-61_1539567118609

+22

Stahl said she doubted the president's theory on the op-ed authorship 
Trump said it was possible The New York Times wrote the anonymous op-ed about a resistance movement in the White House working against him to protect the country. The Times said it was written by a 'senior official in the Trump administration.'
'Whoever it is,' Trump said of the author. 'Maybe it was The New York Times too.'
He added: 'You don't know how dishonest The New York Times is. It could've been The New York Times. I doubt it. But it could've been.'
'Okay. I doubt it too,' Stahl said.
'Well, don't count on it. It also could've been any one of 3,000 people,' Trump said.
The op-ed, which The Times ran last month, sparked a witch hunt of Trump's own in his administration as his staff searched for the author and a bevy of officials - from Vice President Mike Pence to first lady Melania Trump to every member of the Cabinet - denied writing it. 
The author's identity has yet to be revealed. 
MORE CABINET CHANGES
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5045746-6275869-image-a-73_1539568565036

+22

President Trump said there could be more changes coming to his Cabinet
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5035248-6274589-image-a-2_1539522760711

+22

Defense Secretary James Mattis could be on the chopping block

Trump signaled there are more changes to his Cabinet to come with Defense Secretary James Mattis possibly on the chopping block.
'General Mattis is a good guy. We get along very well. He may leave. I mean, at some point, everybody leaves,' he said.
'I think he's sort of a Democrat if you want to know the truth,' he noted.
Mattis has been rumored to be on the way out for more than a month amid reports relations between the two men have deteriorated to the point that Trump now calls his former 'Mad Dog' the 'Moderate Dog.' 
The president also indicated more people will exit his Cabinet - likely after the election. 
'Other people will go for sure,' he said. 
And while he didn't name specific names,' he did say there are some people in his Cabinet he is not happy with.
'I have a great cabinet. I have some people I'm not happy with. I have some people I'm not thrilled with. And I have other people I'm beyond thrilled with,' he said.  
The president said he has 'phenomenal' waiting in the wings to join his team.
'I have people now on standby that will be phenomenal when they come into the administration,' he said.
The question of who might be lined up to join the Trump administration has been in the regular rotation of Washington guessing games as reports speculation on who may be next to leave.
U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley announced last week she would leave her post at the end of the year, which could be the first hint of a major Cabinet turn over. 
Already gone: Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price; Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, who became chief of staff; Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin; and EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt. 
CLIMATE CHANGE
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5039976-6275869-image-a-52_1539565407179

+22

President Trump and CBS' Lesley Stahl taped their interview at the White House
In the wake of Hurricane Michael, which devastated the Florida panhandle, Stahl pressed the president on whether the current season of 'super storms' meant climate change was real. 
Trump dismissed the idea. 
'I think something's happening. Something's changing and it'll change back again. I don't think it's a hoax, I think there's probably a difference. But I don't know that it's manmade,' Trump said. 
Stahl used the moment to question Trump on something he often says when making a point: 'they say.'  
When he did it in talking about climate change, Stahl challenge him on who are 'they.'
'They say that we had hurricanes that were far worse than what we just had with Michael,' Trump said.
'Who says that? 'They say'?,' Stahl asked.
'People say. People say that,' Trump responded, declining to get more specific.
NORTH KOREA
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046898-6275869-image-a-71_1539568296078

+22

President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un shake hands at their June summit in Singapore
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046900-6275869-image-a-72_1539568300346

+22

President Donald Trump shows a letter he said he received the previous day from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Septemer at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York
Trump snapped at Stahl after she read him a list of North Korean leaderKim Jong-Un's atrocities and asked him how he could love someone who's done such things. 
'I'm not a baby. I know all these things,' Trump told her before going on to explain the two men get along well.
Stahl proceeded to read to him what she called Kim's 'resume': 'He presides over a cruel kingdom of repression, gulags, starvation. Reports that he had his half-brother assassinated. Slave labor. Public executions. This is a guy you love?'
'Sure. I know all these things. I'm not a baby. I know these things,' Trump replied. 'I get along with him okay.'
Stahl then questioned Trump's comments that he made at a September campaign rally where he said he 'fell in love' with Kim, who sent him 'beautiful letters.'
'You said you love him,' she said to the president. 
Trump defended his comment as a 'figure of speech.'
'No it's like an embrace,' Stahl said.
'Let it be an embrace. Let it be whatever it is to get the job done,' Trump replied.
'He's a bad guy,' Stahl countered.
'Let it be whatever it is. I get along with him really well,' Trump responded. 'I have a good energy with him. I have a good chemistry with him. Look at the horrible threats that were made. No more threats. No more threats.' 
The president also claimed the United States was on the brink of war with North Korea when came into office.
'The day before I came in, we were goin' to war with North Korea. I sat with President Obama,' he said.   
Stahl interrupted him to ask: 'We were goin' to war?'
'I think it was going to end up in war. And my impression is - and even in my first few months, I mean, that rhetoric was as tough as it could possibly get,' he said. 
Trump previously has said he'd like a second sit-down with Kim, whom he first met in Singapore in July. 
Since Trump and Kim met at their summit, relations between their nations have stalled and questions have emerged about the accord they signed, which had no timetable and no measurable factors to show North Korea was denuclearizing.
TRADE
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046366-6275869-image-a-48_1539564847941

+22

Trump with Chinese President Xi Jinping when the president visited China in November 2017
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046854-6275869-image-a-63_1539567472362

+22

President Donald Trump and Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at the G7 summit in Charlevoix, Canada in June
Stahl pressed the president on the $250 billion in tariffs he has leveraged against China, which he denied is a trade war.
'I called it, actually I called it a battle. But, actually, I'm gonna lower that. I consider it a skirmish. And we're gonna win,' he said. 
He also wouldn't rule out slapping more tariffs on Beijing.  
'I want them to negotiate a fair deal with us. I want them to open their markets like our markets are open,' Trump said in the interview that aired Sunday, while adding that more tariffs 'might' be in the mix.
The president also dismissed her question on the tariffs he imposed on American allies. 
'I mean, what's an ally?,' he said. 'We have wonderful relationships with a lot of people. But nobody treats us much worse than the European Union. The European Union was formed in order to take advantage of us on trade, and that's what they've done.'
Earlier this year, Trump imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum from most countries, including the European Union, Canada, and Mexico. 
Stahl asked him if tariffs were a 'hostile' action.
'You know what's hostile? The way they treat us. We're not hostile,' he replied.
The president also said he would keep the U.S. with NATO as long as they paid their own way. 
'I will always be there with NATO, but they have to pay their way. I'm fully in favor of NATO, but I don't wanna be taken advantage of,' he said. 
Stahl asked him about a report Defense Secretary James Mattis had to explain to him that NATO was established to prevent World War III.  
'No, it's not true,' Trump said, adding: 'Frankly, I like General Mattis. I think I know more about it than he does.'
'I FEEL VERY COMFORTABLE' ON THE JOB
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046518-6275869-image-a-69_1539568095016

+22

President Trump said he feels very comfortable on the job
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5046888-6275869-image-a-70_1539568099565

+22

The president agreed with first lady Melania Trump that there are some people he can't trust
In his final lightening round of questions, Trump denied his White House is in chaos.
'It's wrong. It's so false. It's fake news,' he told '60 Minutes.'
But when Stahl asked him about first lady Melania Trump's comment there aren't people in the White House they can trust, the president agreed.
'I feel the same way. I don't trust everybody in the White House, I'll be honest with you,' he said.
He added: 'I'm not saying I trust everybody in the White House. I'm not a baby. It's a tough business.' 
Trump also said there was no adjustment period for him when he took the oath of office. 
'I felt comfortable at the beginning, other than it was a little surreal to say I'm the president of the United States, but I think that's true with everybody,' he said.
'Now I very much feel like POTUS,' he said. 'I do. I feel like the president. You know, for a little while, it's like 'Mr. President, sir.' Even my friends, they call me, they don't call me Donald, they call me Mr. President. And I say, 'Will you please loosen up?' I've learned on the job. I have.'
'And you feel comfortable?,' Stahl asked.
'I feel very comfortable, yeah,' Trump responded.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 15 Oct 2018, 22:04

Perhaps he might want to have a word with his son-in-law's friends:

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1051796571766120449

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Tue 16 Oct 2018, 00:05

King Salman has blood on his hands. Though he’s invited the Turkish government into the consulate for a look see I’m sure the Saudis have done a pretty thorough job of cleaning up the horrible evidence left behind from the killing of Khashoggi. Now the Saudis will blame some ‘rogue’ element for this assasination and Trump will buy it.  Trump has far too much invested personally in Saudi Arabia which far outweighs one man’s life.  But so what.  Almost half of our country is just fine with it ....
Donnamarie
Donnamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 17 Oct 2018, 00:20

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6280117/Northbound-migrant-group-doubles-size-enters-Guatemala.html

[size=34]Trump threatens to cancel all aid to Honduras if Central American government doesn't turn 'caravan' of 1,000 immigrants around before they reach the U.S.[/size]

• Up to 3,000 migrants have left Honduras to seek refuge in the United States 

• President Donald Trump said he would cut off all U.S. aid to the impoverished nation if the group wasn't turned back

• 'No more money or aid will be given to Honduras, effective immediately!,' he threatened via Twitter on Tuesday

• The U.S. gave $175 million to Honduras in 2017 

• 'We're going to drop in on Donald Trump. He has to take us in,' one migrant said 

By EMILY GOODIN, U.S. POLITICAL REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and REUTERS
PUBLISHED: 21:32 EDT, 15 October 2018 | UPDATED: 12:40 EDT, 16 October 2018

President Donald Trump is threatening to cut off all U.S. aid to Honduras if that government doesn't turn off the 'caravan' of immigrants headed toward the United States.
'The United States has strongly informed the President of Honduras that if the large Caravan of people heading to the U.S. is not stopped and brought back to Honduras, no more money or aid will be given to Honduras, effective immediately!,' Trump tweeted on Tuesday.  
Up to 3,000 migrants crossed from Honduras into Guatemala on Monday on a trek northward, after a standoff with police in riot gear and warnings from Washington that migrants should not try to enter the United States illegally.
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5095148-6280117-image-a-1_1539702436714

+4

President Donald Trump, seen here with first lady Melania Trump returning from Florida and Georgia Monday night, said all U.S. aid to Honduras would be cut off if that government didn't stop a 'caravan' of migrants headed toward the United States
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5095140-6280117-_No_more_money_or_aid_will_be_given_to_Honduras_effective_immedi-a-5_1539707299377

+4

'No more money or aid will be given to Honduras, effective immediately!,' Trump threatened via Twitter on Tuesday
The U.S. gave $175 million in aid to Honduras in 2017, according to USAID.

The crowd of migrants more than doubled in size from Saturday, when some 1,300 people set off from northern Honduras in what has been dubbed 'March of the Migrant,' an organizer said. 
The migrants plan to seek refugee status in Mexico or pass through to the United States.
Images showed a group carrying backpacks and clogging roads near the border, some waving the Honduran flag.
Thousands of migrants have fled Honduras and other Central American nations in an effort to escape the poverty and violence that has engulfed their homelands.  
But the governments of those countries have been mounting pressure from Trump's administration to do more to the curb mass migration, culminating in Tuesday's threat in the loss of aid.

'We are seriously concerned about the caravan of migrants traveling north from Honduras, with false promises of entering the United States by those who seek to exploit their compatriots,' the U.S. Embassy in Honduras said in a statement on Sunday evening.
Vice President Mike Pence last week called on presidents in the region to tackle the issue, saying Washington would be willing to help with economic development and investment in return.
Guatemala said in a statement on Sunday that it did not promote or endorse 'irregular migration.'
Rows of Guatemalan police in black uniforms, some wearing helmets and shields, initially blocked migrants from reaching a customs booth, images showed. It was not clear how long the standoff lasted, but the group was ultimately able to cross, said march organizer Bartolo Fuentes, a former Honduran lawmaker.

A caravan of more than 1,500 Honduran migrants pauses at a Guatemalan police checkpoint after crossing the border from Honduras on Monday
A police official on site said all Central Americans could pass freely through the region as long as they complied with migration control.
'We're going to drop in on Donald Trump. He has to take us in,' said Andrea Fernandez, 24, who left Honduras with a newborn baby, a 5-year-old daughter and 7-year-old son because she said she could not find work and feared for their safety.
Mexico's migration institute said in a statement on Monday that march participants would need to follow immigration rules to enter the country, without specifying the criteria.
'The law does not provide for any permission to enter the country without meeting the requirements, and then go on to a third country,' the government agency said.
A similar group of migrants from Honduras marched toward the United States earlier this year, which the president used to help justify the deployment of the National Guard to the southwest border of the United States.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 17 Oct 2018, 14:37

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6286135/Trump-tweets-essay-hes-honest-president-omits-writer-saying-lies-time.html

[size=34]Trump tweets ego-stroke from columnist for saying he 'could be the most honest president in modern history' – but ignores writer's conclusion in The Washington Post that he 'lies all the time'[/size]

• Donald Trump boasted Wednesday about a columnist who praised his honesty, but omitted his opinion that the president 'lies all the time' 

• American Enterprise Institute scholar Marc Thiessen delivered the half-and-half verdict in The Washington Post and on Fox News

• President's tweeted a mishmash of a part of what Theissen and with a headline he didn't write

• The Post's headline left out Theissen's conclusion that the 'most honest president' also takes regular liberties with the truth

By DAVID MARTOSKO, U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 09:00 EDT, 17 October 2018 | UPDATED: 09:32 EDT, 17 October 2018

President Donald Trump used his massive social media audience on Wednesday to promote a columnist who wrote that he 'may be remembered as the most honest president in modern American history.'
'Don’t get me wrong, Trump lies all the time,' Washington Post opinion writer Marc Theissen wrote last week, although Trump didn't cite that line.
Instead he quoted a seamed-together mishmash of Theissen's comments, combining a Post headline-writer's choice of words with parts of Theissen's comments in a Fox News interview that aired Tuesday.
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5123760-6286135-image-a-1_1539779715720

+4

Donald Trump boasted Wednesday about a columnist who praised his honesty in fulfilling promises, but omitted his opinion that the president 'lies all the time'
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5122974-6286135-image-a-3_1539779750120

+4

American Enterprise Institute scholar Marc Thiessen delivered the half-and-half verdict on Trump, first in The Washington Post and then on Fox News
'Trump could be the most honest president in modern history,' the president tweeted, quoting the Post headline. 

'When you look at the real barometer of presidential truthfulness, which is promise-keeping, he is probably the most honest president in American history. He’s done exactly what he said he would do,' Trump continued, omitting much of what Theissen said on Fox. 
Theissen, an American Enterprise Institute scholar, opened the interview by noting that 'it’s obvious the president takes liberties with the truth.' 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5122966-6286135-image-a-6_1539779952830

+4

The president's tweet on Wednesday was a mishmash, combining part of what Theissen said with a headline he didn't write
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5123336-6286135-image-a-4_1539779787066

+4

The Washington Post's headline was a fair summary of Theissen's story, but left out his conclusion that the 'most honest president' also takes regular liberties with the truth

As of September 12 the Post had compiled a list of 5,001 'false or misleading claims' from Trump since he became president. Many are picayune missteps, but others are collossal misstatements of policies and mischaracterizations of people and events. 
The Post noted a day later that Trump had 'publicly made 125 false or misleading statements on a single day, September 7, while speaking for a combined total of about two hours.
But Theissen's metric, he says, is Trump's habit – vexing for Democrats – of keeping his promises. The White House has hung giant banners reading 'Promises Made' and 'Promises Kept' at his rallies this year.
'In his first two years, Trump has compiled a remarkable record of presidential promise-keeping,' he wrote. 'He’d probably say it’s the best in history – which may or may not end up being true. It’s too soon to tell.'
ADVERTISEMENT

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 17 Oct 2018, 14:41

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6284093/Dont-blame-Republicans-lose-House-says-Trump.html

[size=34]Don't blame me if Republicans lose the House says Trump as he claims people tell him they won't vote in November because he isn't on the ballot[/size]

• President Trump told the Associated Press voters have told him they won't vote in the midterms because he is not on the ballot 

• President Trump is bragging about the size of his campaign rallies ahead of November's midterm election 

• 'Never an empty seat in these large venues, many thousands of people watching screens outside,' he wrote on Twitter Monday morning

• Trump is going all-in on the 2018 election to help Republicans keep control of the House of Representatives and the Senate

• He has three campaign rallies this week and has already done eight this month

• He is focusing his efforts in Republican red territory where his base is strongest 

PUBLISHED: 18:45 EDT, 16 October 2018 | UPDATED: 09:09 EDT, 17 October 2018

President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he is not to blame if Republicans lose control of the House of Representatives in November's election.
He told the Associated Press voters have told him they won't vote in the midterms because he is not on the ballot. 
But the president said otherwise he believes he is 'helping' candidates in the midterm elections even as his administration deals with fire storms on missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, his tweets on porn star Stormy Daniels, and the aftermath of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh's controversial confirmation process. 
'I don't believe anybody has ever had this kind of impact,' he told the AP. 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5109018-6284093-image-a-1_1539730233963

+11

President Trump said Tuesday he is not to blame if Republicans lose control of the House
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5109506-6284093-image-a-7_1539732250192

+11

President Donald Trump waves to the crowd as he arrives at a rally in Lebanon, Ohio
Independent political prognosticators are giving Democrats strong chances of retaking the House while Republicans are increasingly confident they will hold the Senate. 

Despite the uphill battle to hang onto the House, the GOP is 'going to do well,' Trump said arguing that 'it feels to me very much like' 2016, when polls had him losing to Hillary Clinton.
Democrats have vowed to investigate Trump's administration and his financial records should they win in November.  
AndTrump told the AP he will 'handle it very well' if Democrats pursue investigations or impeachment should they be in charge next year.
The president doubled down on the midterm election, going on a campaign blitz and bragging about the size of the crowds coming out to see him as the 2018 election becomes a referendum on his presidency.
'The crowds at my Rallies are far bigger than they have ever been before, including the 2016 election. Never an empty seat in these large venues, many thousands of people watching screens outside. Enthusiasm & Spirit is through the roof. SOMETHING BIG IS HAPPENING - WATCH!,' he tweeted on Monday morning.
The results of the first midterm after a new president takes office is usually seen as the voters' judgement of the occupant of the Oval Office. 
And the question for Republicans is how much control they will retain on Capitol Hill when all is said and done in November.  
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5061074-6278127-image-a-1_1539616934853

+11

President Trump at a campaign rally last week in Lebanon, Ohio
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5062688-6278127-image-a-2_1539616967605

+11

Trump is bragging about campaign crowds as 2018 becomes a referendum on his presidency
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5061098-6278127-image-a-3_1539617085592

+11

Trump is going all in, endorsing candidates on Twitter and hitting the campaign trail multiple times a week to rally his base to come to the polls on November 6.
He has already done eight rallies this month and has three stops on his schedule this week: Thursday in Missoula, Mont.; Friday in Mesa, Ariz.; and on Saturday in Elko, Nev.
All three states have crucial Senate races that Republicans need to win as they fight to hold on to control of the upper chamber. 

And while the president has gone all out on the campaign trail, pushing Republicans to vote, his focus has been in Republican red territory, where the friendly crowds eat up the red meat he throws at them.
His comments are filled with jabs at Democrats  such as at 'crazy' Maxine Waters, the California congresswoman, or arguing that Democrats want to bring crime into the country with their immigration policy.
He also enjoys bragging about his time in the White House and his election night victory over Hillary Clinton.
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5064052-6278127-image-a-16_1539618711070

+11

A crowd waits to get in President Trump's rally in Kentucky earlier this month
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5062824-6278127-image-a-4_1539617192237

+11

Supporters wave signs at the Southaven, Mississippi rally earlier this month
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5060970-6278127-image-a-5_1539617240959

+11

Trump is rallying the Republican base to get to the polls on election day

[size=18]P
[/size]

'Was that the most exciting evening of our lives?' Trump said last Wednesday at a rally in Erie, Pennsylvania. 'Was that the most exciting night? Was that the greatest?'
The crowds respond with cheers and love. They chant the Trump favorites: 'Build that wall!' and 'Lock her up!'
They wave signs in a range of colors - such as hot pink 'women for Trump,' red 'Build the wall,' and blue 'Make American Great Again.' Other popular logos include 'Drain the Swamp,' 'Keep America Great,' and 'Promises Kept.'
And, of course, they wear the red 'Make American Great Again' hats.
Trump's latest bragging rights come as Republicans look more and more like they're conceding the House of Representatives to the Democrats and focusing on holding the Senate as a congressional firewall.
Republicans are spinning the possible loss as a 'green wave,' complaining they are being outspent by the Democrats.
'The GOP is now facing a green wave,' wrote Corry Bliss, who leads the Congressional Leadership Fund, a super PAC tied to Speaker Paul Ryan that spends heavily in House races, in a memo obtained by the Associated Press. 'Democratic candidates are outspending Republican candidates in key races by $50 million.'
Democrats are vowing to investigate Trump's tax returns and other financial matters should they retake the House with some on the left arguing for impeachment proceedings.
Obtaining the president's tax returns would be 'one of the first things we'd do' and the 'easiest thing in the world,' Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said during an interview last week with the San Francisco Chronicle's editorial board.
Pelosi would likely return to the speaker's chair in the aftermath of Democratic victory. 
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5062748-6278127-image-m-8_1539617308819

+11

Supporters reach for a 'Make American Great Again' hat thrown a them at an October 4 rally in Rochester, Minnesota
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5061146-6278127-image-a-7_1539617302644

+11

Supporters wave signs at an April rally for Trump in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 5064060-6278127-image-a-17_1539618745199

+11

The results of the first midterm after a new president takes office is usually seen as the voters' judgement of the occupant of the Oval Office

A Republican-controlled Senate could act as a check against any actions taken by the House against the president.  
History shows it's common for the party of the president in power to lose seats on Capitol Hill in the first midterm election of their presidency.
In 2010, the first midterm of Barack Obama's presidency, Democrats suffered massive losses. Republicans picked up a record 63 House seats to take control of the lower chamber and took six Senate seats, expanding their then-minority there. Obama called it a 'schallacking.' 
ADVERTISEMENT

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Wed 17 Oct 2018, 17:54

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-calls-to-cut-social-security-medicare/ar-BBOtGyE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=BHEA000

[size=36]Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare [/size]

I agree with you Sen. McConnell this is not a Republican problem. All of our seated elected officials in the House and Senate need to be cut, starting with you. You all are the problem.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 17 Oct 2018, 18:28

[size=47]Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare[/size]

Nicole Goodkind

20 hrs ago

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 BBOugyo

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 BBOtRgg

The Serious Side - part 6 - Page 20 BBOtIUE© NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty ImagesAfter instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015.

New Treasury Department analysis on Monday revealed that corporate tax cuts had a significant impact on the deficit this year. Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease last year’s 1.5 percent. In fiscal year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017.

Still, McConnell insisted that the change had nothing to do with a lack of revenue or increased spending and instead was due to entitlement and welfare programs. The debt, he said, was very “disturbing” and driven by “the three big entitlement programs that are very popular, Medicare, Social Security andMedicaid...There’s been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully, at some point here, we’ll get serious about this.”

President Donald Trump promised to leave Medicare untouched on the campaign trail, but Republican leaders like House Speaker Paul Ryan and Florida Senator Marco Rubio have long indicated their desire to cut entitlement programs to pay for their tax cuts.

"You have got to generate economic growth because growth generates revenue,” Rubio said at a Politico conference late last year. "But you also have to bring spending under control. And not discretionary spending. That isn’t the driver of our debt. The driver of our debt is the structure of Social Security and Medicare for future beneficiaries."

“We're going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Speaker Ryan said on a conservative radio program around the same time.

Democrats, meanwhile, jumped on McConnell’s admission as proof that Republicans had long planned to cut entitlement spending to fund the tax cuts that largely benefit corporations and wealthy Americans. “The truth comes out! This was their deceptive plan all along,” said Representative Lois Frankel of Florida.

“When Republicans in Congress said their tax cuts to wealthy multinational corporations would pay for themselves, they lied,” wrote Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan on Twitter. “Now, they're going to try to come for hardworking people to foot the bill by slashing Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. We can't let them.”

A recent Pew poll found that the majority of both Democrats and Republicans thought the rising federal deficit and cost of healthcare were major problems facing the U.S.-- something that Democrats are taking note of and will try to package into their midterm campaign platforms over the next three weeks.

“Every Republican Senate candidate is on the hook for Mitch McConnell’s plan to cut Medicare and Social Security. First it was jeopardizing pre-existing conditions coverage, then it was pursuing an age tax that would charge older Americans more for care, and now it’s targeting the benefits Americans have paid into,” wrote Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman David Bergstein in a statement. “This platform is disqualifying, and just like taking away coverage for pre-existing conditions, it's exactly what GOP candidates don't want to be talking about weeks before the election.”

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 17 Oct 2018, 18:33

Well that is what happens when they cut taxes for the rich, they have to make it up somewhere else. The middle class
and poor lose every time. 

The rich don't need those services so why should they care about them.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 17 Oct 2018, 20:02

So true, Annemarie - and this lot have Jared Kushner, multimillionaire who pays no taxes. and a great friend in the Saudi Crown Prince who sounds like a lovely guy as well. No doubt Dump has many building projects and Saudi princes buying his apartments in the US

Not a lot of corruption then........

And we already know that all the inauguration crowd pix were doctored by Trump's team.......do you think people are paid to sit at these rallies?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 17 Oct 2018, 20:16

PAN - The pig n the White House has made it abundantly clear that the only thing he values above his own fat ass is money. Anyone in any way remotely affiliated with him learns pretty fast to play his game because he'd throw his mother under a bus for a buck!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 17 Oct 2018, 20:19

I bet he is paying people to be at his rally's, I'm sure people turn out they voted for him but I don't think that many come to these things.

-------

http://www.clooneysopenhouse.com/viewtopic.forum?t=8473

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum