George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017

5 posters

Go down

Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 Empty Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017

Post by carolhathaway Mon 17 Jul 2017, 18:55

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 Empty Re: Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017

Post by carolhathaway Mon 17 Jul 2017, 18:58

Washington Post:

Democracy Dies in Darkness

Sections 

SubscribeSign In

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on Google Plus

Share via Email

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Pinterest

Share on Tumblr

Resize Text

Print Article

Comments0

National

With Clooney assist, US aid groups team up on Africa crisis

By Associated Press July 17 at 1:21 PM

SEATTLE — Eight of the largest U.S.-based aid groups are joining together in a new campaign to address what the United Nations calls the world’s largest humanitarian crisis in more than 70 years.

More than 20 million people are at risk of famine in nine African nations and Yemen, but Richard Stearns, president of Federal Way, Washington-based World Vision, says it has been overshadowed amid the controversies surrounding President Donald Trump’s administration.

Stearns tells The Seattle Times (https://goo.gl/tLU2bb ) that instead of competing for donations, the organizations — including International Rescue Committee, Save the Children and Portland, Oregon-based Mercy Corps — are banding together in an unprecedented appeal launching this week.

The Global Emergency Response Coalition counts Twitter and Google among its sponsors. Actor George Clooney narrated a video pitch for the campaign.

___

Information from: The Seattle Times, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017 Empty Re: Video with George: Hunger crisis 2017

Post by party animal - not! Mon 17 Jul 2017, 19:27

Great find, Carol.

So many terribly affected by famine and war. Is it any wonder many of them try to escape and take their chances on the high seas. How I wish we could hold some of their governments to account..........

You remember George and Amal meeting up with the director of the International Rescue Committee, David Miliband

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 17 Jul 2017, 20:11

PAN,
that's my usual sermon:
When you want to stop people from escaping, you have to improve their living conditions, give them a perspective.

Great that you mention the connection with David Milliband, I didn't think about this connection. But when I read this, I thought: "Maybe that's why he flew to the States."
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamarie Mon 17 Jul 2017, 20:14

Thanks Carol! It doesn't help that the current Administration's budget proposals would cut international food aid from $3.5 billion to $1.5 in 2018.  Refugee aid and other humanitarian aid would also be drastically cut.  Thankfully our Congress is pushing back on these cuts calling them cruel to say the least.

I wish the UN was a much stronger organization that could use its clout to affect more substantive and positive change.

The horrific state of wars, famine and corruption in third world countries cost all of us on a global basis.  We can't hide from it.  I hope this latest effort can have some positive effect!
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Mon 17 Jul 2017, 23:52

Donnamarie - Everything is interrelated. Climate change affects food production which in turn escalates competition for resources and that feeds into political strife. If the scientists are right - and it looks like they are - things are only going to get worse.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 20 Jul 2017, 18:21

A video is on that site of a powerful speech
by David Milliband.

Here in the U.K. he lost the vote for the Labour Party
leadership to his brother Ed.

We lost a good political leader then.

But he's obviously doing valuable work with
the IRC. and his passion for that work
came through in his speech.

I can recommend his speech to you all here
on COH.

Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down