George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London

4 posters

Go down

Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London Empty George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London

Post by carolhathaway Wed 17 May 2017, 17:47

• HOME
  • BASELWORLD
  • BY BRAND
  • BY COMPLICATION 
  • BY TYPE 
  • REVIEWS
  • TECHNICAL GUIDE
  • SHOP

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Home > Omega > Buzz Aldrin & George Clooney Talk Shop during the Omega Speedmaster’s 60th Anniversary Celebrations

[size=36]Buzz Aldrin & George Clooney Talk Shop during the Omega Speedmaster’s 60th Anniversary Celebrations[/size]

17/05/2017 /  0 responses /  in Omega / 
Last month I had the distinct privilege to attend the 60th anniversary celebrations of the Omega Speedmaster. While I am usually rather skeptical about anniversary’s of watches, I have no problem whatsoever with celebrating the 60th anniversary of the first watch on the moon. Around the event, two gentlemen who were present during the festivities, named mr. Buzz Aldrin and mr. George Clooney, sat together and talked shop. While Buzz actually walked on the moon, George also had some experience (well, not really, but in the movie Gravity it looked cool) and they discussed what Buzz’s achievements meant to George, and millions of other Earthlings. 
Without further ado…. here’s a transcript of the meeting between Buzz and George.
George: There he is!
Buzz: Of my goodness, I get to meet George! George the man!
George: Wow you look good. Let’s take a look at these pictures over here… Let me ask you something. When I was growing up, everything was about the space programme. Everything was about the possibility of the imagination. Did you understand, at the time, that all of our hopes and dreams were right there with you?
Buzz: Yeah the programme was progressing. It sure was. I didn’t know where I would be in the progression, but that all changed in favourable directions, fortunately. But let me ask you, what were you doing when we first landed on the moon?
George: I was at home watching the landing on television with my mother and father and my sister. And we went outside, and we had this rinky-dink telescope that we bought. I was eight years old and we looked through the telescope and I explained to my parents that I could see you guys walking on the moon – which of course was impossible. It was such a huge thing for so many people.
Buzz: It brought the world together. The pact that we left of the moon was very appropriate. It said, “We came in peace for all mankind.” And as we were going around in parades, occasionally you’d see a sign that said, “We did it.” Not “You did it”, but “We did it.”
George: And there was some discussion that you might have been the first on the moon.
Buzz: All the previous space walking was just one person, so the commander stayed inside because there was a lot of experiments to do and a heavy training workload. Especially on a lunar landing. So there wasn’t a clear history as to what you should do. The symbology of the commander being the first, without a doubt, that has to be done first.
George: And now you want it to continue. You want people to go to Mars.
Buzz: Of course, yeah. But we have to do some things at the moon and bring some nations together. We need to build partnerships. It should be a coalition of nations. Not a couple of wealthy people. It may look that way, because some people are doing some very nice pioneering work. But this should be a world effort.
George: I heard some funny stories. I heard you were the first person to urinate in space. Is it true?
Buzz: Ah… yeah. In the suit. Usually we don’t do that. It gets a little messy. But when you’re outside for a long time, you know, someone always has to test something ahead of time (laughs). But I have to tell you, I was really jealous of you in Gravity, when you went moving around. Because I was supposed to fly the real manoeuvring unit, but at the last  minute it was removed. And I was real sorry about that. I had to live my life through you.
George: Yeah, but in the film I ended up not making it. So that was probably better for you. People come up to me all the time and tell me it’s not very realistic in Gravity and I say, “Well we didn’t really go to space! It was just a movie.”
Buzz: Well it was very realistic looking, especially when the space station started tearing apart. But Sandra really did a beautiful job. Amazing.
George: Isn’t she great! She’s a wonderful actress and an old friend. We’ve been friends for about 30 years so we had a good time. But overall, I mean, if you think about that century, the 20th century, it really has to be the most amazing century we’ve ever had.
Buzz: My mother was born the year that the Wright brother first flew. Marion Moon was her name. Then as a teenager I saw the world in conflict. That was quite an experience to see. Then I had a chance to get involved with the military, in the Korean War. I came back and lobbied my way into NASA and ended up on the first landing. And now I’m trying to help other people to land on Mars. What a time in the Earth’s existence, for an individual to be alive. I’m so fortunate for all the things that have come along.
George: You’ve been on the front line of some of the most amazing experiences in our history.
Buzz: It’s not a sense of duty. It’s because I love thinking about how we can do things better.
George: And I like the tux you’re wearing.
Buzz: This tux is from Dancing with the Stars.
George: How did you do?
Buzz: It’s an exercise. A real bad exercise. I was kind of happy when I got finished.
George: You want to give me the names of some judges you want me to go hurt? I’ll take care of them for you.
Buzz: (laughs) It’s a little late to be changing things. So when are you going to retire?
George: Me? Right now. We’re going to retire to the bar. You and me. Come on, I’ll buy you a drink.

Now I do not know which movie these two gentlemen watched together, however these two are my favorites of the list of videos dedicated to the exploration of space and the moon and the Omega Speedmaster.

However I encourage you to have a look at all the videos on Omega in Space channel at Youtube.

Related

Omega Celebrates 60th Anniversary of the Speedmaster in London

In "Omega"

The Collector's Series - Philipp Man, CEO of Chronext, and his icon, a Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711

In "Patek Philippe"

Artcurial to Auction George Lazenby's Rolex Pre-Daytona Ref. 6238 from "James Bond 007 - On Her Majesty’s Secret Service" Movie

In "Rolex"

[size=30]Leave a Reply[/size]

Brice Goulard

Colophon

Monochrome Watches, founded in 2006, is one of the best read online publications dedicated to fine watches. Monochrome brings news, in-depth reviews explaining the most intricate details, and historical stories from the world of Haute Horlogerie.
Founder & Editor in chief
Frank Geelen
Managing Editor
Brice Goulard
Editor UK
Tom Mulraney
Contributors

• Ilias Giannopoulos
  • Matthew Catellier
  • Robin Nooy
  • Xavier Markl

Columnist Extraordinaire
Mario Squillacioti
© 2006 - 2016 Monochrome
Want to receive our newsletter?
Daily or weekly?         Daily         Weekly     

Instagram Feed

Load More

• Home
  • About
  • Advertising
  • Contact

Partners

© 2006–2017 Monochrome
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London Empty Re: George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London

Post by Donnamarie Wed 17 May 2017, 21:11

Great conversation. Seem like two very optimistic souls.

Ha! George never seems too far from a bar. He probably would have made a great bartender. Think of all the stories he could have told his customers ...
Donnamarie
Donnamarie
Possibly more Clooney than George himself

Back to top Go down

Buzz aldrin - George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London Empty Re: George and Buzz Aldrin talk at the Omega Event in London

Post by Katiedot Thu 18 May 2017, 06:00

That's so cool!  George is so good at talking to people and I guess Buzz Aldrin was kind of a hero to him in some ways?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by benex Mon 17 Jul 2017, 17:38

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by benex on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 17:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)
benex
benex
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Mon 17 Jul 2017, 22:10

So there's something to expect from Omega on Friday...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down