George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
The Serious Side - Page 14 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Serious Side

+13
Sevens
Donnamarie
carolhathaway
oldweston
amaretti
Alisonfan
Way2Old4Dis
melbert
Fingersandtoes
LizzyNY
annemarie
party animal - not!
it's me
17 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Serious Side - Page 14 Empty Re: The Serious Side

Post by annemarie Wed 09 Nov 2016, 11:00

Americans have just said yes to racism and sexism.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:19

https://gerardnadal.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/crying-statue-of-liberty.jpg
carolhathaway
carolhathaway
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 09 Nov 2016, 14:07

What does this election teach us?
- Facts don't matter
- Lie as much as you want, it doesn't matter as well
- When you boast about harrassing women, make sure you're not a journalist but somebody who wants to run for office
- Insult whomever you want, it doesn't matter because people are fed up with pc and like someone who insults people of other races, sexes, heritage and handicapped.

How must those women feel who were sexually abused by him? Those he insulted?

I know politicians who struggled because they kissed a young woman, one of our local politicians lost his job because he wanted to solace a collegue by huggjng her (she said herself that he didn't do anything inappropriate). Can everybody now grab a woman  on the p...y because Trump got away with it?

What does it tell us that Putin is happy about that? Does it mean that the whole world will be peaceful now because these two ego-shooters are the two most powerful men in the world? Somehow this doesn't sound right for me...

Last edited by carolhathaway on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 14:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell...)
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 09 Nov 2016, 14:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m2valF3s84

I liked this.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 09 Nov 2016, 14:28

Annemarie,
I really liked that video. Srephen Colbert is so good!

I heard somebody sing 'My Country, 'Tis of Thee' for the first time, just knew the text before. Do you know that the melody seems to be a universal national anthem? It's the British anthem 'God Save the Queen' of course. The melody is also the same in the anthem of Liechtenstein (a very small European country), it was the Prussian anthem  in the 19th century and also served as the Russian anthem for a while. Something we all share... I guess it's from Handel...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 09 Nov 2016, 14:35

I didn't know that .

I think George got a rude awakening a long with the rest of us last night. 

It was probably in hindsight , too soon for a woman President. We just had eight
years of an African American one which America wasn't ready for and a lot of people
didn't like. We probably should have waited one election before trying to have a woman President.
There is no way America was going to allow a black and woman right behind each other.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 09 Nov 2016, 14:58

Trump said it's time to come together as one united people. Really, when you have spent the last year dividing the country.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 09 Nov 2016, 15:12

I also think Hillary might not be the best choice for the first woman president. 
I hope George won't get too upset, and that he would continue to work hard both in the industry and in his humanitarian projects. An angry George might be able to make the best films.
And I hope DNC could review this failed election and nominate a more conservative,  capable candidate four years later.

Honestly, now among the three most powerful leaders on the planet, our President Xi would definitely have the best background and characters. 

Even if we basically don't elect the president by ourselves, the Party would never let a lunatic like Trump run for president. What a joke!
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 09 Nov 2016, 16:12

Sevens - Your party chose Chairman Mao and you have no say in who runs your country, so I don't think you can gloat too much. Suggesting that the DNC sacrifice its principles and become more like the RNC just because they won this election is poor advice. If you're going to become the thing you're fighting, what's the point?

For the first time in my life I am ashamed of my country. There is no logic or intelligence behind the results of this election. It is a result of fear and anger and blind striking out at any perceived threat. I wonder how long it will take for Trump's supporters to figure out what we in NY already know - that he's on nobody's side but his own and he only does things that bring him profit and boost his ego. The front page of the NY Daily News says it all.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Wed 09 Nov 2016, 16:21

Sevens wrote:I also think Hillary might not be the best choice for the first woman president. 
I hope George won't get too upset, and that he would continue to work hard both in the industry and in his humanitarian projects. An angry George might be able to make the best films.
And I hope DNC could review this failed election and nominate a more conservative,  capable candidate four years later.

Honestly, now among the three most powerful leaders on the planet, our President Xi would definitely have the best background and characters. 

Even if we basically don't elect the president by ourselves, the Party would never let a lunatic like Trump run for president. What a joke!
I don't believe her capability or position on the conservative spectrum were the issues. In fact, Bernie is way more left than Hillary and captured the imagination of a number of the same voters as Trump.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Wed 09 Nov 2016, 16:36

fava wrote:I don't believe her capability or position on the conservative spectrum were the issues. In fact, Bernie is way more left than Hillary and captured the imagination of a number of the same voters as Trump.

"captured the imagination of a number of the same voters as Trump."

Please explain what you mean by this statement.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingersandtoes Wed 09 Nov 2016, 16:45

How fragile is the American ego. There's been a white man as president from 1789,  but 8 years of an African-American president was too much, resulting to this huge racist backlash. 

DNC need to take a step back and reassess themselves, this is a huge loss. And a lot of damage will be done in the next 4 years.

Fingersandtoes
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Wed 09 Nov 2016, 16:59

My husband's late friend used to always say racism would be the downfall of America, and here we stand.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 09 Nov 2016, 17:40

No argument that racism played a major part in this campaign. but there is a lot more to it than that. This has been building for a long time. Too many people feel the government is broken and isn't working for them. They believe they elected an outsider to shake things up.

That would make sense if they hadn't also re-elected the same damn Republican Congress that blocked any kind of governance for the last eight years. They aren't going to shake things up, they're going to break a system that's worked for us for over 200 years.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Wed 09 Nov 2016, 17:42

ladybugcngc wrote:
fava wrote:I don't believe her capability or position on the conservative spectrum were the issues. In fact, Bernie is way more left than Hillary and captured the imagination of a number of the same voters as Trump.

white working class voters who believe the current politicians in Washington were not working for them

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Wed 09 Nov 2016, 18:04

fava wrote:
ladybugcngc wrote:

white working class voters who believe the current politicians in Washington were not working for them
Let me see if I understand you correctly.  Current politicians ARE working for the white working class voters.  The white working class voters are just IMAGINING current politicians are NOT working for them.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingersandtoes Wed 09 Nov 2016, 18:57

I just read that Selena Gomez got 19,000 write in votes, Harry Styles got thousands and Harambe, the dead gorilla, got 14,000. I'm going to be blunt and rude now. These idiots don't deserve the right to vote.  People have actually died for the right to vote, and these jerks treat it as a joke. This vote will effect people's lives, all over the world, and some morons live such entitled lives, that they dont give a sh*t.

Fingersandtoes
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Wed 09 Nov 2016, 19:00

LizzyNY wrote:Sevens - Your party chose Chairman Mao and you have no say in who runs your country, so I don't think you can gloat too much. Suggesting that the DNC sacrifice its principles and become more like the RNC just because they won this election is poor advice. If you're going to become the thing you're fighting, what's the point?

For the first time in my life I am ashamed of my country. There is no logic or intelligence behind the results of this election. It is a result of fear and anger and blind striking out at any perceived threat. I wonder how long it will take for Trump's supporters to figure out what we in NY already know - that he's on nobody's side but his own and he only does things that bring him profit and boost his ego. The front page of the NY Daily News says it all.
Lizzy, Chairman Mao had made some major mistakes in later years, but his leadership overall made him arguably the greatest Chinese ever born in the last century. He earned his presidency through hard-fought civil wars because he had creative visions for our country and brilliant military abilities to overrun the old corrupt government.His greatness had been tested by time. I appreciate him and my parents just worship him, and they said everyone in the country cried out loud over his death. Mao was, and still is like a God in many people's view. 
My advice might sound poor, but think about this: What happened in MI,WI,and especially PA that made all those blue states turn intoTrump's favor?The DNC must have let tons of people down and they chose to betray the party. Next time they should just focus more on their traditional voters and not lose them again.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Wed 09 Nov 2016, 19:06

ladybugcngc wrote:
fava wrote:
ladybugcngc wrote:

Let me see if I understand you correctly.  Current politicians ARE working for the white working class voters.  The white working class voters are just IMAGINING current politicians are NOT working for them.
No. You misunderstand my words. The idiom"capture the imagination" means to intrigue or interest or excite. I meant those voters were excited by the ideas of both Trump and Bernie.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Wed 09 Nov 2016, 20:10

fava wrote:
ladybugcngc wrote:
fava wrote:
ladybugcngc wrote:

No. You misunderstand my words. The idiom"capture the imagination" means to intrigue or interest or excite. I meant those voters were excited by the ideas of both Trump and Bernie.

Interesting...
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramona_ Wed 09 Nov 2016, 20:19

The Serious Side - Page 14 35cmm3q
Ramona_
Ramona_
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 09 Nov 2016, 21:13

Sevens wrote:
There are obvious differences between your system and ours.
     1. "Mao was, and still is like a God in many people's view."  - We don't put our politicians on that kind of pedestal. We may respect and admire them, but that kind of adoration is really, really rare. Anyone who felt that way about a politician would probably be looked at as unbalanced.

2."My advice might sound poor, but think about this: What happened in MI,WI,and especially PA that made all those blue states turn into Trump's favor?The DNC must have let tons of people down and they chose to betray the party. Next time they should just focus more on their traditional voters and not lose them again." -
     I don't think we see "party" i the same way. Here it's a group of people who share the same values and work together to accomplish mutual goals. People can switch parties for numerous reasons as often as they like. It is not considered "betrayal". It's considered a change of opinion.

I can't speak for Michigan and Wisconsin, but I can tell you that there is a strong undercurrent of racism in Pennsylvania, which comes to the forefront whenever financial times are bad for blue collar workers in the state. They've been having a hard time of it for quite a while and Trump allowed them to vent all their resentments. The DNC couldn't have prevented this without getting down in the mud with Trump. I'm glad they didn't.

By the way, it looks like Hillary will win the popular vote over Trump. Something needs to be done about the Electoral College.

LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 09 Nov 2016, 22:00

This happened sixteen years ago with Al Gore loosing to George W. Bush.
I agree with you - or at least the electors should be divided according to the percentage of the votes.

In Germany we vote differently but don't vote our representatives directly as well:
When we vote for our parliament, we've got two votes. We vote for a candidate, and we also vote for a party. We've got 299 electoral districts - which means 299 MPs who win the majority in their districts. And there's another 299 MPs from the lists of the political parties to make sure that also candidates get a chance who aren't that well known but qualified. And those MPs elect our chancellor, so we vote our chancellor indirectly.

We also have a president who just has a representative job. He's elected by our MPs and the same numbers of electors from our federal states.

I don't know if that's a better system, but at least the candidate who gets the majority, wins the election...

By the way:
I just saw a comment on TV about the elections, and somebody explained why you use electors instead of voting directly. This system was installed to make sure that no unqualified person will ever be elected...
NOW THAT WORKED WELL!!!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Wed 09 Nov 2016, 22:06

Today I had to do homework with my kids, we had to watch a documentary about how Hitler came into power in 1933 and then had to write a diary about, predicting to be a kid at that time. It was so sickening and frightening to watch everything that happened, concentrated in 45 minutes. To see all the lies, on such an emotional day - just embarrassing...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 10 Nov 2016, 12:38

Today the sun is shining here in New York. Yesterday it was dark and rainy, the weather mirrored how most  people in New York felt yesterday.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Thu 10 Nov 2016, 12:48

As I said last Friday I had a gut reaction this was going to happen...Well it did..

Now lets deal with it....Many are calling the outcome "sick" I'll take that...

Lets make it better....

I can see that if Hillary had won the election it would have been an endorsment for Elitism to run a muck...unbridled and puffed up, that the working wo/man in the  street was fine with the status quo....

NOT SO.....

This morning the tech stocks are dropping on tail of the Don win....Remember the tech endorsements for Hillary, what was it 350K a ticket???? THATS PLAIN WRONG...

It took a bloke as crazy as the Don to do it (unfortunately) to break the cycle....You only had to look at Hillary's face yesterday to see that the lights had gone out....Game over.....there are as I write this thousands of seething elitists.....

It is what it is....Brexit and the US election result is a resounding endorsement for change....I can practically hear ppl, hard working ppl all over the US and UK standing like Peter Finch....Nobody said it better....

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

So...that's what you do....You go to your window and shout "I'm as mad as hell....." 

Then wait and see what The Don is going to do about it.....A change is coming....We just have to stay MAD.....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 10 Nov 2016, 13:15

Bernie Saunders on Donald Trump win

http://time.com/4565698/bernie-sanders-donald-trump-election/

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 10 Nov 2016, 13:34

I think that the DC needs to sort out the mess and build a new profile - they're in opposition in congress and senate, so it should give them the time to do so.

This article suggests that Sandees would have done better and had won if he'd been candidate. I'm not sure about that. We don't know if the election campaign had been as dirty as it was, but I don't think so. They would have found something nasty about Sanders as well - or would have told lies about him. If the campaign tells us anything, it's that facts and truth don't matter anymore...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 10 Nov 2016, 13:41

WWHS - The way to change the system is NOT to elect probably the MOST ELITIST, racist, hateful pig you can find and tear it all down! The way to change the system is to find people who love this country and respect the democracy that has served us well for 200+ years and elect them to office. Then you change the practices that make our officials spend more time on getting re-elected than on governing the country.

You don't think Trump , with his fake Louis XIV gilded penthouse is an elitist? Believe me, if you're ever invited in it will be through the "poor door".

You think the Republicans who obstructed government for the last eight years and care more about their personal agendas than the country's well-being aren't elitist? Wake up! You won't be invited to dinner at their house either!

It may make you feel better to scream and yell and rant, but it's all "sound and fury signifying nothing" if you don't follow it up by using your brain and thinking through the actions open to you and the consequences of those actions. Destroying the foundations upon which this country was built just to let off steam is short-sighted and infantile!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 10 Nov 2016, 13:51

LizzyNY wrote:WWHS - The way to change the system is NOT to elect probably the MOST ELITIST, racist, hateful pig you can find and tear it all down! The way to change the system is to find people who love this country and respect the democracy that has served us well for 200+ years and elect them to office. Then you change the practices that make our officials spend more time on getting re-elected than on governing the country.

You don't think Trump , with his fake Louis XIV gilded penthouse is an elitist? Believe me, if you're ever invited in it will be through the "poor door".

You think the Republicans who obstructed government for the last eight years and care more about their personal agendas than the country's well-being aren't elitist? Wake up! You won't be invited to dinner at their house either!

It may make you feel better to scream and yell and rant, but it's all "sound and fury signifying nothing" if you don't follow it up by using your brain and thinking through the actions open to you and the consequences of those actions. Destroying the foundations upon which this country was built just to let off steam is short-sighted and infantile!
Lizzy - Please give me an example of how the Republicans have obstructed government or please explain what you mean by that.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:13

ladybug - Most recently stating that they would not even consider vetting anyone nominated for the Supreme Court by President Obama.

When Obama was first elected the Republicans said it was their job to make Obama a one-term President. Not that their job was to govern. Not that their job was to keep our economy strong and our people safe. They were then, and still are, only concerned with their own power.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:30

carolhathaway wrote:I think that the DC needs to sort out the mess and build a new profile - they're in opposition in congress and senate, so it should give them the time to do so.

This article suggests that Sandees would have done better and had won if he'd been candidate. I'm not sure about that. We don't know if the election campaign had been as dirty as it was, but I don't think so. They would have found something nasty about Sanders as well - or would have told lies about him. If the campaign tells us anything, it's that facts and truth don't matter anymore...
Unfortunately, I think Sanders would have lost as well.  Too far left.  Just say the words "democratic socialism" to Trump voters and even moderate republicans and you've probably lost them.  Although it would have been a campaign about Bernie's core values and policies, which would have been refreshing.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:30

LizzyNY wrote:ladybug - Most recently stating that they would not even consider vetting anyone nominated for the Supreme Court by President Obama.

When Obama was first elected the Republicans said it was their job to make Obama a one-term President. Not that their job was to govern. Not that their job was to keep our economy strong and our people safe. They were then, and still are, only concerned with their own power.
Thank You
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:32

ladybugcngc wrote:
LizzyNY wrote:WWHS - The way to change the system is NOT to elect probably the MOST ELITIST, racist, hateful pig you can find and tear it all down! The way to change the system is to find people who love this country and respect the democracy that has served us well for 200+ years and elect them to office. Then you change the practices that make our officials spend more time on getting re-elected than on governing the country.

Lizzy - Please give me an example of how the Republicans have obstructed government or please explain what you mean by that.
In addition to the Supreme Court, look at the history of legislation and approval of presidential appointments for the past 4 years.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:38

The issue that almost brought me to tears this morning--and there are a lot of issues to be fearful about--is the Paris treaty on climate change.  This so directly affects what kind of world that my kids and grandchildren will inherit.  Positive action now is critical, not rolling back gains. I was so encouraged 2 months ago when I read that Scotland powered their whole country for several days on wind power and that Swedes are burning trash for energy.  Now I fear the US will fall even further behind in adopting solutions.  I am hoping that there are enough republicans in the senate who are not that foolish.

My neighbor, who is a married lesbian, is very worried she will have to move to another state if the supreme court reopens this issue of marriage equality.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:44

What Would He Say wrote:As I said last Friday I had a gut reaction this was going to happen...Well it did..

Now lets deal with it....Many are calling the outcome "sick" I'll take that...

Lets make it better....

I can see that if Hillary had won the election it would have been an endorsment for Elitism to run a muck...unbridled and puffed up, that the working wo/man in the  street was fine with the status quo....

NOT SO.....

This morning the tech stocks are dropping on tail of the Don win....Remember the tech endorsements for Hillary, what was it 350K a ticket???? THATS PLAIN WRONG...

It took a bloke as crazy as the Don to do it (unfortunately) to break the cycle....You only had to look at Hillary's face yesterday to see that the lights had gone out....Game over.....there are as I write this thousands of seething elitists.....

It is what it is....Brexit and the US election result is a resounding endorsement for change....I can practically hear ppl, hard working ppl all over the US and UK standing like Peter Finch....Nobody said it better....

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

So...that's what you do....You go to your window and shout "I'm as mad as hell....." 

Then wait and see what The Don is going to do about it.....A change is coming....We just have to stay MAD.....
WWHS - Your MAD?  Try Faith in Jesus, applying Truth, and prayer!!!

Last edited by ladybugcngc on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:53; edited 1 time in total
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 10 Nov 2016, 14:48

Fava,
the Paris treaty on climate change worries me as well - or let's better say what will happen to it, because climate change doesn't exist (according to your new president).
As well as what happens to Obamacare, because the Republicans were so great in opening health care to everyone when they were leading the States in the past.
I read a very interesting interview with Kornblum, former US ambassador in Berlin, about the upcoming relation between the States and Europe. Nothing to be glad about as well...
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 10 Nov 2016, 15:03

carolhathaway wrote:Fava,
the Paris treaty on climate change worries me as well - or let's better say what will happen to it, because climate change doesn't exist (according to your new president).
As well as what happens to Obamacare, because the Republicans were so great in opening health care to everyone when they were leading the States in the past.
I read a very interesting interview with Kornblum, former US ambassador in Berlin, about the upcoming relation between the States and Europe. Nothing to be glad about as well...
Trump, in addition to saying he does not believe in climate change,  said while campaigning that he will "cancel the Paris climate agreement."

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Thu 10 Nov 2016, 15:07

Last year Donald dumb stated he would take the money away from climate change and give it to veteran's.

Will he be allowed to do this who knows. My guess is yes since the rich don't believe in climate change.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Thu 10 Nov 2016, 15:22

@Lizzy....yes I know what you are saying, he is all that  x 10, don't get confused and think for one minute I support the beast....but it had to be someone thick skinned and ruthlessly crazy to break the never ending descent...into further and further elitism, wider and wider gaps between haves's and have nots, that affects every aspect of our western society....Look even George?

Charging ppl to have their picture taken with an associate....in fairness Mrs C was only charging 2K*....Clinton assistant Abedin charged 5K*!!!!That is shocking and shameful - it's crazy money, going where....Chelsea's wedding WTF.....

The "foundation" needs to be looked into....it worries me that there are strains of the Clinton carry on (as above*) that mirror the biz/PR/promotion of a film star, a lawyer or two, a Presidential candidate and her husband.....

I have a gut (sorry again) feeling that we will find both (and how many more) are in some way managed by the same Ring Master .....

Arranging talks, pictures, donations, foundations, fund raisers, promotions, international Conventions, donations(?) Dot Orgs. you name it...Mr Foundation Arranger....

Someone who promises to make you "hot" ....for all the "right on" reasons....and profitable, if NOT for you for Mr Foundation Arranger.....for want of a better name....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Thu 10 Nov 2016, 18:17

fava wrote:
carolhathaway wrote:cameraclick I think that the DC needs to sort out the mess and build a new profile - they're in opposition in congress and senate, so it should give them the time to do so.

Unfortunately, I think Sanders would have lost as well.  Too far left.  Just say the words "democratic socialism" to Trump voters and even moderate republicans and you've probably lost them.  Although it would have been a campaign about Bernie's core values and policies, which would have been refreshing.
What made him so strong? Could anybody have beaten him?
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 10 Nov 2016, 19:44

Sevens,
maybe a very charismatic personality might have been able to motivate so many non-voters to beat him, but I couldn't think of any politician I know.

Trump was able to motivate many non-voters, and at the same time people from groups he'd insulted before, still voted for him. I can't imagine having voted for Trump if I were of Mexican or Arabic heritage, and I definetely can't imagine that any woman had voted for him - but they did. Many Republicans seem to stick with tgeir candidate, even if they had nominated Hitler. I'm sure, if Hitler would be running for office now, we would read discussions like: "He's absolutely right with everything he says!", would insult everybody he insulted etc. 

When I read comments on German websites, I sometimes have the feeling of living in another country. People say: "I'm afraid to leave my house at night", and when you ask them if they, their neighbors or anybody they know have ever been threatened or robbed, they say: "No, but it's written everywhere that it happens all the time". Maybe it's the same feeling every woman has when she walks in a park at night, I don't know.
I also read that about 1/3 of all tweeds about Trump were created by social bots, and that's a phenomen that hadn't existed before.
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 10 Nov 2016, 20:25

As much as I find our discussions interesting and educational. I have to tell you I am sick to death of talking about Trump. I'm done. To the people who are still asking what happened, well, either you get it or you don't. Bottom line: he got elected and, barring a miracle, we'll have to live with that for the next four years.

I'm just hoping the Democrats grow a pair and are as cooperative to him as the Republicans were to Obama whenever he tried to pass anything.

I'm also hoping that the movement to abolish the electoral college gains ground. It is an anachronism we don't need. And just in case anyone hadn't heard, HILLARY WON THE POPULAR VOTE!!!
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 10 Nov 2016, 21:25

Lizzy,
but the Republicans have won the majority in congress and senate, so they can pass laws easily.
And whoever talked about Obama's failures during his presidency, usually forgot to mention the fact that everything was blocked by the Republican majority...

But you're right, I'm also fed up just talking about this yellow-haired, orange-faced sexist. Watched some TV last night and decided to watch a DVD tonight.
GEORGE, COULD YOU PLEASE DO SOMETHING UNEXPECTED SO WE'VE GOT SOMETHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT???
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 10 Nov 2016, 21:27

"I think George got a rude awakening"

Me too
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 10 Nov 2016, 21:51

carolhathaway wrote:Lizzy,
but the Republicans have won the majority in congress and senate, so they can pass laws easily.
Makes you wonder if Trump is somehow contagious. All the lying hypocrites who supported him because they "wanted change" - and then went ahead and elected the same power-hungry jerks who tried their damndest to bring the government to a halt for 8 years.

The Democrats need to give them a taste of their own medicine.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by carolhathaway Thu 10 Nov 2016, 21:58

Lizzy,
I'd love to see that!
carolhathaway
carolhathaway

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 10 Nov 2016, 22:20

http://www.repubblica.it/speciali/esteri/presidenziali-usa2016/2016/11/10/news/trump_presidente_primo_giorno_reazioni-151742708/?ref=HREA-1
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugcngc Thu 10 Nov 2016, 22:30

it's me wrote:http://www.repubblica.it/speciali/esteri/presidenziali-usa2016/2016/11/10/news/trump_presidente_primo_giorno_reazioni-151742708/?ref=HREA-1
 It's me, I'm curious from where you live, what do you think about this article.  

IMO - I don't think this article is reflective of mainstream America.
ladybugcngc
ladybugcngc

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 10 Nov 2016, 22:46

Good
I would be glad

Show me
it's me
it's me