George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister

5 posters

Go down

She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister Empty She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister

Post by Alisonfan Fri 15 Aug 2014, 18:33

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Evening Standard, thats life. Nice brave lady. I wish her well.

A woman who was second only to George Clooney’s fiancée in a poll of London’s “hottie barristers” today told of her fight for life after being diagnosed with breast cancer.

Commercial lawyer Marianne Butler, 35, received the shock news a month after being declared runner-up to Amal Alamuddin in the survey of most glamorous London briefs last summer.
Today she revealed how “dark humour” in the wake of the Your Barrister Boyfriend poll prepared her for months of chemotherapy and pioneering drug therapy at the Royal Marsden hospital.
Doctors found a tumour measuring almost 6cm and the spread of the disease to her lymph nodes. “Number one got George Clooney, number two got breast cancer,” she joked.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Fighter: Marianne during her treatment for breast cancer

She told the Standard: “I was laughing about it at the time. Generally speaking, you either do laugh at dark things or you don’t, and I tend to. The whole of last autumn was full of pictures of Amal out with George Clooney.
“When the ‘hottie barrister’ women got in touch in December, I said: ‘Bloody hell, look what happened to your top pick!’ It was a comic notion that George Clooney would just work down the list and I would get a call.”
Ms Butler was the first Marsden patient to receive a combination of the drugs pertuzumab and Herceptin for a first occurrence of breast cancer. The drug combination had previously only been trialled in the US.

The privately funded treatment, performed by oncologist Professor Ian Smith, caused a “complete pathological response”, eradicating the cancer and enabling her to return to work at Fountain Court Chambers.
Next month her husband Tony Butler and her brother Julian Post will lead about 30 of her friends on a charity cycle up four of the Tour de France’s toughest mountains to raise £100,000 to help other patients to benefit from Professor Smith’s pioneering work. He will join the last day of the ride dubbed Le Cure de France.

Love: Marianne with husband Tony

Ms Butler, who lives in Barnes, said: “At the point I was diagnosed last September, there were differing reports about the size of the tumour and they were talking about a mastectomy. I have been very lucky. This is now about the Marsden and other women. That is what these guys are cycling for.” Mr Post, 33, a City headhunter, recalled how his sister’s cancer diagnosis “knocked the wind out of my family and most of our social group”.
He said: “But we were overwhelmingly amazed by the positivity and determination and mental fortitude she has always had. I think a weaker personality would have crumbled.”

To donate, visit @LeCureDeFrance

Last edited by Nicky80 on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 19:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit font size)

Alisonfan
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister Empty 'Number one got George Clooney, number two got breast cancer

Post by Nicky80 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 18:49

'She got Clooney... I got diagnosed with breast cancer': Barrister second to Amal Alamuddin in poll of London's hottest lawyers reveals her battle with the disease

The barrister who came second to George Clooney's fiancé  in a poll of London's hottest lawyers today revealed her battle with breast cancer.
Marianne Butler, a commercial lawyer, was dealt the devastating blow on September 26 last year, just a month after she was named runner-up to Amal Alamuddin.
The 35-year-old told the Evening Standard she has since endured rounds of chemotherapy and pioneering drug therapy at the Royal Marsden hospital.

She joked: 'Number one got George Clooney, number two got breast cancer.

A month after being voted London's second hottest barrister, Marianne Butler, was diagnosed with grade III breast cancer

Ms Butler, left before treatment, came second in the Your Barrister Boyfriend poll of hottest female briefs in the capital last summer. She was second only to George Clooney's fiance Amal Alamuddin, right

'I was laughing about it at the time. Generally speaking you either do laugh at dark things or you don't, and I tend to.'
While pictures of Miss Alamuddin out with Clooney appeared on websites, in papers and magazines last Autumn, Ms Butler was in the midst of treatment.

After doctors discovered a 6cm tumour, detecting the disease in Ms Butler's lymph nodes, she was referred on to a groundbreaking trial at the Marsden.

Despite having no family history of the disease, Ms Butler was told her cancer was grade III, with doctors warning she must start chemotherapy just four days later.

She was given the drugs pertuzumab and Herceptin, a combination previously only trialled in the U.S.
The drugs worked to stop the cancer cells from communicating with other cells in the body, preventing it from spreading while treatment worked.
And the treatment, performed by Professor Ian Smith, was a success, destroying the disease, allowing Mrs Butler to return to work at the Fountain Court Chambers.

Ms Butler joked: 'Number one got George Clooney, number two got breast cancer'

Mrs Butler's husband Tony told MailOnline: 'The key innovation in Marianne’s treatment was the use of pertuzumab straight away. 

'Prior to her diagnosis it was only given for second occurrences or to people with Stage 4 cancer.  Concurrently with Marianne's diagnosis - just a few days afterwards - the FDA in the U.S. approved pertuzumab for use as a first step to shrink a tumour before the main treatment.

'This was following exceptional results during a trial.

'Professor Smith was not only able to get permission to give pertuzumab to Marianne for a first occurrence of breast cancer, but persuaded our insurance company of the benefits such that they agreed to pay for it.'
He added that Marianne was the first person at the Royal Marsden -'and so probably in the country)' - to receive herceptin and pertuzumab as a joint attack on a primary breast cancer. 
She is still taking both drugs to try and prevent any recurrence, so continues to be monitored for side effects.

Mrs Butler underwent a new drug regime, which her family believe was key to her recovery 

Two of the other drugs which Marianne took during the course of her treatment were developed by Prof Smith and his team.
They are currently trialling a new monoclonal antibody drug, which is intended to direct the chemotherapy drugs to only attack the offending cancer cells, thereby sparing the patient the gruelling side effects of chemotherapy. 

'It is truly groundbreaking stuff,' added Mr Butler.

To raise money for the Marsden, her husband Tony and brother Julian Post joined by Professor Smith and 30 friends, are preparing to take on a charity cycle ride taking in four of the Tour de France's toughest mountains.
The event, known as Le Cure De France, will take place from September 10 to 14.

Their aim is to collect £100,000 to help other patients benefit from Professor Smith's work.

Ms Butler, who lives in Barnes, said: 'I have been very lucky. This is now about the Marsden and other women. That is what these guys are cycling for.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister Empty Re: She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister

Post by Cece42 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 18:55

This woman is beautiful, and she will be in my prayers.  Not to be sarcastic, she should have been #1.

Cece42
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister Empty Re: She got George Clooney I got breast cancer by 2nd hottie barrister

Post by Nicky80 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 19:05

Merged threads
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Fri 15 Aug 2014, 21:41

She looks beautiful even with a shaved head.  I hope she is going to be okey.
Silje
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 16 Aug 2014, 01:21

Very beautiful woman.  #1 in my book for her strength, and anyone else with a diagnosis like that.
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down