George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Robin Williams Dies - Suicide EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Robin Williams Dies - Suicide

+17
Missa
Pita428
melbert
Picachu
Nicky80
LizzyNY
Atalante
it's me
Maggy
NewFanForever
PigPen
Sevens
theminis
Way2Old4Dis
Silje
Joanna
LornaDoone
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Robin Williams Dies - Suicide Empty Robin Williams Dies - Suicide

Post by LornaDoone Tue 12 Aug 2014, 00:11

From The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robin-williams-dies-suspected-suicide-724724

This is being widely reported right now.

Wow!  I'm in shock.

So sorry to hear this.  Great comedian, wonderful actor.

RIP

The Oscar-winning actor and comedian was 63.

Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams has died at age 63, according to police in Marin County, Calif.

The full statement is below.

On August 11, 2014, at approximately 11:55 a.m, Marin County Communications received a 9-1-1 telephone call reporting a male adult had been located unconscious and not breathing inside his residence in unincorporated Tiburon, CA. The Sheriff’s Office, as well as the Tiburon Fire Department and Southern Marin Fire Protection District were dispatched to the incident with emergency personnel arriving on scene at 12:00 pm. The male subject, pronounced deceased at 12:02 pm has been identified as Robin McLaurin Williams, a 63-year-old resident of unincorporated Tiburon, CA.

An investigation into the cause, manner, and circumstances of the death is currently underway by the Investigations and Coroner Division s of the Sheriff’s Office. Preliminary information developed during the investigation indicates Mr. Williams was last seen alive at his residence, where he resides with his wife, at approximately 10:00 pm on August 10, 2014. Mr. Williams was located this morning shortly before the 9-1-1 call was placed to Marin County Communications. At this time, the Sheriff’s Office Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made. A forensic examination is currently scheduled for August 12, 2014 with subsequent toxicology testing to be conducted.

Williams' publicist Mara Buxbaum told The Hollywood Reporter: “Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

His wife, Susan Schneider, said: "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

Williams, a four-time Oscar nominee, won a supporting actor Oscar for Good Will Hunting. He most recently starred in CBS' comedy The Crazy Ones, which lasted only one season.

He recently checked into rehab in an effort to maintain his sobriety.

More to come…

Last edited by LornaDoone on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 21:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed title to reflect confirmation that he did commit suicide)
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Robin Williams Dies - Suicide Empty Re: Robin Williams Dies - Suicide

Post by Joanna Tue 12 Aug 2014, 00:24

Oh this is so sad....terrible news.

It it's, true then it's so sad that he felt so 
desperate when he was so admired for his 
wonderful film work.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 12 Aug 2014, 00:30

Perhaps the cancellation of his television show was an issue?

I don't know really but that might have been one of the factors in his depression.

A person who brought so much laughter to others was not able to find that lightness himself. That is truly sad.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Silje Tue 12 Aug 2014, 00:40

I didn't know this. Sad.

I'll always remember him for the part he played in Good Will Hunting.
Silje
Silje
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Tue 12 Aug 2014, 01:56

Very sad, indeed.

I often wondered when watching him in some of his riffs if he were hypomanic, and just happened to be an extremely funny guy.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 12 Aug 2014, 02:55

Devastated, one of my all time favourite people, such an absolute shame - so very sad
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevens Tue 12 Aug 2014, 03:14

I liked his performance in Good Will Hunting.
Sad... I read somewhere that depression could really make you want to destroy yourself.
Sevens
Sevens
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Tue 12 Aug 2014, 15:50

Terribly angry with the media.  The story broke about 7PM last evening on national tv.  The statement from his wife was read- please remember him for his work and ability to make people laugh, not the way he died.  So- from that moment on, up until midnight when I turned off the tv and then again for the early morning shows- the entire discussion ( with minimal exception to discuss his work) was about the depression.  Dr Drew and a few other experts dissected the hell out of clinical diagnosis, treatment, etc.  Then the moderator would read the wife's statement.  So frustrating.  This morning one program confirmed it was by hanging.  So terribly terribly sad.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by NewFanForever Tue 12 Aug 2014, 16:25

Always get so cranky(there's another word) when people do this.

Sometimes just by reaching out...and talking it out to anyone.....you can be helped!! I love you

NewFanForever
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 12 Aug 2014, 16:45

NewFan unfortunately depression is just not a mental issue, it's often involves a chemcial imbalance in the body including an imbalance of hormones - which for Robin could have been there for years - hence the drug/alcohol abuse or it could have manifested itself more recently as he got older.

For instance, cortisol which is the flight or fight hormone, when it gets out of balance, it surpresses all the other hormones, including serotonin.  Serotonin is the hormone that not only helps us sleep better but also is considered the "happy hormone."  It also regulates our feeling of well-being.

If you have low Serotonin it's more likely that you'll be cranky as hell, potentially clinically depressed, possibly suicidal.  Factor in any feelings of inferiority, of hopelessness, etc. and this could cause a person to really believe there is no way out or no light at the end of the tunnel.

Doctors use drugs to try to help but often it doesn't work well or the long term side effects are not good.  Some of the drugs used often make the depression worse.

Robin may have been trying to feel better but once the cycle of imbalance in the body starts, it's difficult to get out of it.

I feel for his family and his friends who are so devasted by his death.

And I get frustrated also because there IS help out there but many doctors don't know about it and even if they did would often be too skeptical to try it with their patients.

But I believe in time as more and more people are helped even the hardest drug pushing doctors might take a look at it.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Tue 12 Aug 2014, 17:35

There is a new format around here when you visit your MD , seen in Emergency Dept or admitted to hospital.  You are asked-professionally but in my opinion rather abruptly, if you are experiencing symptoms of depression in the past 2 weeks.  Not sure why the 2 week limit, but it is part of the patient/dr work-up.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Tue 12 Aug 2014, 20:11

Just in case the quote from Good Will Hunting turns up..

When Robin Williams won an Oscar for his portrayal of a psychiatrist in the movie Good Will Hunting, he told South Boston residents “You're a can of corn. You're the best.” In Southie (South Boston) that’s slang for good-natured and easygoing.

This is the park bench from the scene between Robin Williams and Matt Damon.  Lots of visitors yesterday and today.

Robin Williams Dies - Suicide Bu1tn-WIcAASvMX

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Tue 12 Aug 2014, 21:01

Robbin William was/is one of my favorite actors, I used to watch Mork & Mindy everyday.

R.I.P.
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 12 Aug 2014, 21:03

I still don't believe ....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Tue 12 Aug 2014, 22:09

I spent all day yesterday thinking about this, strange that a person you never met can affect you so - its the hopelessness of the situation that gets to me, but I guess that is depression, such a personal individual feeling that is all consuming, such a shame that he (like many others) are unable to see their worth, their value.....

Hoping he has now found peace....
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Tue 12 Aug 2014, 22:12

Anxiety was his problem. He couldn't control his fears.
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 12 Aug 2014, 22:16

how do you know?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Tue 12 Aug 2014, 22:44

So sad that someone who brought so much joy to so many couldn't experience it himself. He recently did stint in rehab. Apparently they missed the signals or something happened after he got home to cause him to despair. So very, very sad.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 22:52

I was shocked when I heard it this morning. I remember few month ago that he was in the news with supposedly alcohol problems again....So sad the way he killed himself...He must have seen no way out. So sad to see that from people where you would think they must have a happy life as he seemed to be so normal ......
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 12 Aug 2014, 23:27

The Bench Scene from Good Will Hunting

Give Flowers 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qM-gZintWDc

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 13 Aug 2014, 20:57

Atalante wrote:Anxiety was his problem. He couldn't control his fears.
He said it in an interview tiens.
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 13 Aug 2014, 21:02

anxiety... horrible thing
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Wed 13 Aug 2014, 21:44

The story coming out here seems to be that he was depressed, at least in part, because his tv series failed and because he had serious money problems. He has always been open about his problems with alcoholism and depression, and fought them both for years. Sadly, he seems to have lost this last battle. May he rest in peace. He will be missed.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:40

Yeah, but that's situational depression. He had chronic and recurring bouts of deep depression, even when his life was going 'well.'

It's just tragic how the same mind that holds such genius can be the source of so much pain.

I've always had a theory that any one person can be only so brilliant before the mind crosses the line into pathology. It would be fascinating to know where that line is, and if it differs depending on the genius' special ability.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:50

many issues came up since his death.  Mostly from CNN/Fox broadcasts, not E!, Access Hollywood, etc.

1.  his admission to alcohol, drug addiction ( even before Mork and Mindy),and depression.  Depression is a brain illness, where there is a chemical shift ( think bi-polar, for example)
2. He had open heart surgery 2009.  The type of surgery he had causes depression a majority of the time. Add that extra load to an already depressed individual, and you're heading for trouble.
3.  Chronic depression, like chronic pain, puts you in a "bad place"--suicidal ideology,-. want it to end.  Not a selfish thought, just the need to make it stop.
4.  he had returned to Minn in July , possibly for help with his depression.  We'll never know-that's confidential.

side note.. yesterday's press conference with the Sheriff's office.  Made a goof, initially said the letter would not be discussed, then back tracked to say will not discuss if there was a letter.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 14 Aug 2014, 01:28

I do think it's so cruel on the family and on the 
deceased's memory when the media starts dissecting and analysing and gossiping about someone's death by suicide.
It's so intrusive and insensitive and cruel and almost inhuman IMO.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Thu 14 Aug 2014, 19:28

does anyone else think the detailed description of how he died was unecessary, seriously too much information, there is no respect for any celebrity nowadays who dies, the media want all the details, i personally think its disgusting they way they do this, i feel for Robin's family, especially his children
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 14 Aug 2014, 20:32

I just read an article that his wife stated that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 14 Aug 2014, 21:25

oh my!
poor thing....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 14 Aug 2014, 21:49

melbert wrote:I just read an article that his wife stated that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.

Read that too and I was surprised that the wife gave that interview. I thought the family wants privacy??? Guess now she wants attention....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 14 Aug 2014, 21:52

http://www.gossipcop.com/robin-williams-coroner-press-conference-suicide-death-details/

Picachu - in link above the Coroner talks about why such information was released.  I still think it was a bit of sensationalism on their part though.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Thu 14 Aug 2014, 23:16

Joanna wrote:I do think it's so cruel on the family and on the 
deceased's memory when the media starts dissecting and analysing and gossiping about someone's death by suicide.
It's so intrusive and insensitive and cruel and almost inhuman IMO.
 Thumbs up!

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 15 Aug 2014, 00:02

A former coroner made an interesting point. If a celebrity dies under suspicious circumstances and the information about the death isn't made public, it opens the family up to all kinds of speculation that can go on for years. In his opinion this can be even harder for them to deal with than getting the facts out right away and moving on.

He made me think of Marilyn Monroe, and how there are still books and articles about how she really died. I can't imagine that having it constantly dredged up is easy for her family.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Pita428 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 00:10

Yes, they have to make the information available to the public, they do not have to set a press conference and give out the details themselves on live tv. I think that was tasteless and cruel.
Pita428
Pita428
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 15 Aug 2014, 00:16

I wish his wife wouldn't issue statements giving his private health information -- especially after asking for privacy to grieve.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 15 Aug 2014, 00:17

The coroner made a good point I suppose Lizzy,
but it's a two edged word isn't it ? It does seem a bit OTT though to
hold a press conference.

Regarding Marilyn, unfortunately I don't think that there was any close family of hers to try to stop all the speculation over the years, so plenty of opportunities for the journos to make their money at her expense.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 15 Aug 2014, 00:38

Joanna - I was just using Marilyn as an example of his opinion. I know California law requires someone's cause of death to be part of the public record. I don't know why they did it in a press conference. Maybe they were trying to avoid people thinking there was some sort of cover-up. I don't know.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Fri 15 Aug 2014, 01:14

Maybe his wife was upset by all the baseless speculation that he'd killed himself over something as silly as a cancelled television show or that he'd been having money troubles.  I don't know why people can't accept that chronic severe depression is awful enough for people to not want to be here anymore.  There doesn't have to be a specific "why".
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 15 Aug 2014, 14:53

Parkinson Disease would have shown up in the autopsy report.  Maybe she thought it would be better if she made a statement.  Have to wait for the toxicology report, can take up to several weeks.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Fri 15 Aug 2014, 16:46

Her statement was much longer than that he had Parkinsons.  I believe she wanted to dispel rumors that he was in serious financial trouble (apprarently untrue) or back on drugs (she claims this is  not true).  She does reference his long struggle with depression and anxiety and encourages others struggling with the same to get help and support.

Clinical depression does not have to have a "why".  The person can have a great life and still feel hopeless.  There may be chemicals in the brain that contribute/cause depression--not necessarily an emotional response to a set of life circumstances.  That is why I was so disgusted when I heard Kim Kardashian say her brother "needs to snap out of it"--it is not that easy and I hope they are getting him the help he needs and not treating it as something he can control.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 15 Aug 2014, 18:10

Fava you are spot on about depression.
It's one of the most misunderstood conditions
that exists.
Anyone who treats another person who is clinically depressed, with indifference or contempt, is 
acting in a very cruel manner IMO.
Obviously there's a great difference from being fed up with life to actually suffering from depression. The depressed person is often non verbal about their feelings.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 15 Aug 2014, 18:31

I wish there were actually a different name for clinical depression so that it's not confused wih the general depression that we all get when we feel down because we're going through a rough patch. The two are very different and calling both 'depression' just doesn't help.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Fri 15 Aug 2014, 18:54

You're right Katie, a big part of the problem lies in people not understanding the difference between "feeling sad" and clinical depression. In one of the opinion pieces I read after Robin's death (wish I could remember which one and link to it, it was great), the author suggests we stop using the phrase "mental illness" entirely, as the word mental suggests it all in someone's mind. She suggested referring to such illnesses as brain diseases, so that people would equate them with physical disease. Then rather tham saying someone killed himself we would say he lost his battle with depression, in the same way we say someone lost her battle with cancer.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 15 Aug 2014, 20:13

The depression you are describing is called situational depression.  Depending on the situation ( loss of a loved one, end of a relationship, loss of a job) it can be treated with medication and therapy, if necessary. The idea is the situation caused the depression ( which can last for days and up to yr or more) and once the situation is addressed or resolved (ie;re-employment) typically the depression is relieved.  If treatment is involved, the therapist will look for symptoms that the situational depression may in fact be clinical, and therapy treatment will be adjusted.  Does that make it any clearer, or have I really confused everyone. ??

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Sat 16 Aug 2014, 10:50

Nope you have confused me PP, understand what you mean.  Situational depression is more of a temporary state caused by any given situation, loved ones death, unemployment just as you suggested, however true depression or clinical depression is far more complicated.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkie Sat 16 Aug 2014, 13:26

For many years I have battled 'the black dog', so I can honestly understand why people commit suicide. I have been there and believe me it is not just a daily battle it is also moment by moment at times. For me it is not ' I want to die', it is stopping the blackness that slowly creeps down on you the weight is unbearable.

And now for one of his classics "Watching cricket is like watching baseball on valium"   RIP you beautiful soul xx
sparkie
sparkie
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Sat 16 Aug 2014, 14:17

theminis wrote:Nope you have confused me PP, understand what you mean.  Situational depression is more of a temporary state caused by any given situation, loved ones death, unemployment just as you suggested, however true depression or clinical depression is far more complicated.
Exactly my point.  Sorry I didn't write it clearly.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sat 16 Aug 2014, 19:39

I just found this on Wimp video website.
I'm going to pop it into August Chat thread too.

A message to the depressed.

http://wimp.com/messagedepressed/

Last edited by Nicky80 on Sat 16 Aug 2014, 19:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added video)
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 16 Aug 2014, 19:56

I'm not sure at the end what he is saying that this is so easy as he makes it sound like. Where he is saying he is there for his friend until he is ready....

I had a friend who suffered from depression so badly after 2 years of depression I had to end the friendship or it would have drowned me too. It was really bad. I couldn't help her. I had to tell her that it is not enough anymore to have a friend she need professional help and she disagreed ....

I think it depends how strong the depression is....Sometimes a friendship can help but sometimes another level to professional help is more needed...
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sat 16 Aug 2014, 20:43

So no Misses Doubtfire II, ... ?
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down