George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Famine looms in South Sudan EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Famine looms in South Sudan

2 posters

Go down

Famine looms in South Sudan Empty Famine looms in South Sudan

Post by Joanna Fri 25 Jul 2014, 14:49

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Famine Looms as Cholera Strikes the Children of South Sudan

Tuesday 15, Jul, 2014
Tags: Justin Byworth, staff stories
World Vision UK CEO, Justin Byworth, has just returned from a trip to see the dramatic, life-threatening impact that the conflict in South Sudan is having on more than half of its population. Hunger is rife and famine is looming, but it's the new - and very real - threat of cholera that poses the most immediate danger.

By Justin Byworth, CEO, World Vision UK

The wide open spaces and wind in the hair on the boat to Wau Shilluk felt a relief from the claustrophobic atmosphere of the UN camp we had just left.

A few miles downstream and across the Nile river from Malakal lies the small market town of Wau Shilluk, now overwhelmed by a sprawling camp of nearly 40,000 displaced people, with their tarpaulin roofed shelters far outnumbering the domed thatch of the local tukuls (huts).

It was here today that we glimpsed the next crisis that seems doomed to follow the conflict in this part of South Sudan – famine. It’s also where we came face to face with the spectre of cholera which is already stealing the lives of children here.

Food shortages

Nyabet and her eight children have been sheltering here since December. Without the income she used to get as a cleaner in Malakal’s education department or the support of her husband who’s been missing since the fighting, she’s had to walk miles into the bush to forage for firewood to sell so she can buy food for her family. It’s not enough.

All of them have had to survive on smaller and fewer meals. The cost of sorghum, the staple cereal here, has doubled since December. The fish that they used to eat has disappeared from their diet and they can’t afford the few vegetables in the local market.

World Vision’s food distribution in Wau Shilluk last month was the first they’ve received since the fighting and the month’s ration of sorghum, lentils, oil and salt was a lifeline but will only last a few days more.

The lack of paved roads throughout most of the country means that food cannot be trucked to communities in need. Instead it must be air-lifted which is significantly more costly and less efficient. World Vision along with the World Food Programme is doing everything it can to keep the supply of food flowing. But insecurity and poor infrastructure present very real challenges.

Conflict crisis to food crisis

Any way you look at it, South Sudan’s conflict crisis is turning into a food crisis.

Thousands of displaced farmers weren’t able to plant their crops this year because of the conflict. For many, their next harvest may be more than a year away, stretching the normal three month hungry season five times over. With less food in local markets prices are already rising.

In this vast country with virtually no roads and most transport impossible through the rains, access to food in other parts of the country is only possible with expensive airlifts. We’re not yet seeing visibly starving children, which would bring world attention to the impending disaster, but in a country where over 40% of children are already chronically malnourished and in a normal year acute malnutrition can impact one in five children, all of this is a recipe for disaster.

In parts of South Sudan food crisis is very likely to tip into famine.

Another looming threat

While the threat of famine claiming the lives of South Sudan’s children is near, another threat is already killing them right now – cholera.

As we sat talking with Nyabet she gestured towards a small mound just a few metres away in front of the shelter opposite hers. The grave of her neighbour’s child dug just five days ago.

It’s a fate that almost claimed the life of Nyabet’s eight-year-old son Djiima who has just spent a week at the emergency cholera clinic run by Medicins Sans Frontieres in Wau Shilluk. Djiima sits next to his Mum and tells us, “My stomach was aching and then I started being sick.”

Nyabet says, “There was so much water – from diarrhoea and vomiting. I was really scared, I thought he was going to die.”

I saw how frightening cholera can be 25 years ago in Mauritania [West Africa], my first ever field posting with World Vision. A cholera outbreak there had dead bodies piled up on top of each other in the local hospital and World Vision helped set up a quarantine camp on the edge of town. One of our staff went home feeling sick one day and was dead the next. The severe dehydration cholera brings can kill very quickly if not treated rapidly.

Thank God for Djiima that cholera is treatable and it can be prevented fairly simply. Nyabet told us that they had stopped drinking water from the river and were now using a well, that they’ve been given a bar of soap to wash their hands before eating and have oral rehydration salts in case of any more diarrhoea or vomiting.

Containing cholera is a battle and in Wau Shilluk alone they had over 100 new cases the day before we were there. Both there and in the UN Malakal camp handshakes have been replaced with fistpumps and I’ve never washed or sanitised my hands more times than this week.

A clean water supply is vital and in Malakal’s UN camp World Vision has worked with other agencies to provide clean water to its 22,000 displaced residents, with three huge water purification and storage tanks that from which water is pumped to 144 taps throughout the camp.

No child should live in fear

Djiima and his tired little face will be in my prayers tonight. So too will his neighbour’s family and the face I never saw, that of their child buried under that tragically small mound of earth that I found so hard to walk by.

Whether the violence of war, an epidemic of cholera or the looming threat of famine, the children of South Sudan face more fears in a day here than any of my four children are likely to face in a lifetime.

No child should have to live in fear. No mother should have to bury their child. Hope is in short supply in South Sudan, but hope we must.

Hope, pray, and take actions so that this country’s leaders hear the voice of their children over those of their own foes, fears and grievances and that the people of the world do not forget this young and most fragile of countries.

Related blog posts

Life Begins Again At Asraq For Syrian Refugees

Thursday 19, Jun, 2014
Tomorrow is World Refugee Day and here we share a blog from one of our Canadian colleagues currently seconded to our Jordanian office, who shares the hope that Syrian refugees still cling to even as they settle into their new surroundings at the newly-opened Azraq refugee camp.

"I Don't Know If I Can Do This"

Thursday 01, May, 2014
Duncan, one of three World Vision UK staff running the Milton Keynes Marathon on Monday, explains why he decided to do it, and what motivated him to keep pounding out the miles.

A Thank You From A Family Four Hours Away

Thursday 27, Mar, 2014
World Vision UK's Head of Public Affairs, Gavin, shares simple message from the crowded camps of Syrian refugees in Jordan: they are truly grateful for your support.

No Fairy Tale: Can the Children of Syria Ever Find a Happy Ending?

Thursday 20, Mar, 2014
Lara Ghaoui from World Vision Lebanon has been present since the outbreak of fighting in Syria 3 years ago. She shares all that she's seen along the way and asks 'When will this end?'

GIVE
Please give to the South Sudan Crisis Appeal now

£15.00 £35.00 £80.00
GIVE
Please give to the South Sudan Crisis Appeal now
£15.00£35.00£80.00
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Famine looms in South Sudan Empty Re: Famine looms in South Sudan

Post by party animal - not! Fri 25 Jul 2014, 16:02

Dreadful.

According to many involved but who sadly can't get enough attention for this, and as His Nibs says, the world gets weary of these stories, (hardly surprising given the mixture of appalling news everywhere), the word FAMINE triggers a reaction.

Let's hope so.

Wonder if somebody is in the vicinity on the QT

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down