George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong

3 posters

Go down

An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong Empty An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong

Post by Katiedot Thu 01 May 2014, 20:09

Oh my, the unsolicited 'advice'just keeps on coming, doesn't it!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong

By Mackenzie Dawson

April 29, 2014 | 1:12pm
Dear Amal,

Well played, Ms. Alamuddin, well played. You are my new personal hero.

But not for the reason you might think. Sure, you’ve just landed the Moby Dick of celebrity bachelors, the elusive sparkle-eyed Clooney, 52, a man whose brief marriage (to Talia Balsam) and string of relationships with gorgeous women, many of them actresses or models, made him the talk of the tabloid town, a wild thing who could not be made to settle down. Like Matthew McConaughey, Clooney has always been one of a few celebrities who seem to be having a genuinely good time, confident in his own general awesomeness, pleased with his real estate in Lago Como, Italy, and sure of his status as America’s Silver Foxy-Foxalicious Boyfriend. He could have gone on like this indefinitely.

Instead, he decided to get engaged to you, a 36-year-old human rights lawyer who is an adviser to Kofi Annan and a scholar who has co-edited a book called “The Special Tribunal for Lebanon: Law and Practice.” Oh, and you’re fluent in French, Arabic and English, too.

Well, you’ll have to excuse me for getting sentimental for a minute here, but this news — your news, which has, admittedly, absolutely nothing to do with my own happily married life — made me proud. Proud because the engagement — his choice of this lovely, accomplished, 30-something, ambitious woman — is a vicarious triumph for all the single ladies out there, all the smart, accomplished, ambitious, single ladies who are a constant, convenient punching bag for pretty much every self-help book out there that’s eager to tell them how they’re doing it wrong, they’re putting their careers first, ruining their chances of finding a proper mate, ruining their chances of ever having children, should have gotten married at 23, just ruining everything, making a huge mess of it, very bad job, #FAIL.

You’re a direct, fantastic rebuke to everything “Princeton Mom” Susan Patton writes about in her book, “Marry Smart: Advice for Finding The One,” in which she counsels women to get plastic surgery in high school, “find a husband on campus before [they] graduate,” and not spend too much time focusing on their careers. On this particular point, Patton offers bleak words, a sort of Ghost of Christmas Future for any ambitious woman over 30: “You’ve been so invested in your professional super-stardom that you took your eye off the ball. You have no husband and no children, but the ship has already sailed! It’s too late. You don’t get to have everything.”

Unless, that is, YOU WANT TO MARRY GEORGE CLOONEY.

I guess, Amal, that you didn’t see the memo about men not liking smart women. Oh, you didn’t see that? It’s the one that gets reinforced just about every other day in pop culture, encouraging women to dumb it down from the time they’re adolescents, in the hopes that staying perky, dim and silent will make him — any him — love you.

As the Clooney/Alamuddin nuptials near, the inevitable articles will appear, talking about the “fairy tale ending” of this glittery union, surely a dream come true for a non-famous, hard-working London woman.

The best part is, it will be horses - - t. I look at your accomplishments and I see a life that’s already full. Will marriage add a new, wonderful dimension to it? Yes, absolutely. But it won’t fill a void that doesn’t exist.

“London Human Rights Lawyer Amal Alamuddin Is Engaged,” read a hilarious Slate.com headline that went on to detail your many impressive accomplishments. “Her husband-to-be is an American actor and director who played ‘Kip Howard’ on the television mystery program ‘Murder, She Wrote,’ ” read the witty kicker.

There’s no greater aphrodisiac than a happy woman with a full life, who is passionate about something besides getting a ring on her finger. Just ask George Clooney.

— Mackenzie Dawson
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong Empty Re: An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong

Post by LornaDoone Thu 01 May 2014, 20:34

I don't see this so much as advise to Amal.

The is saying that smart women who focused on career have been bashed time and time again for not "getting their man" in their 20s.

She's proven all the "How to marry a great guy" books, articles, advice columns wrong.

There actually ARE guys out there who like smart women - despite what the media tries to sell us.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong Empty Re: An open letter to the future Mrs. Clooney: Congrats on proving Princeton Mom wrong

Post by Carla97 Thu 01 May 2014, 21:00

I don´t either. And those who "get" their husband in their 20s, many will separate in their 30s and 40s - so. What´s her advise to them?

I agree there are guys out there that like smart women. And they do not have to look like model perfect. If you are confident in your skin and at the age, it´s attractive to many men alone.
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down