George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Amal Alamuddin and her work

+61
melbert
Jenn
LornaDoone
Mazy
Sevens
Nicky80
fridadereval
Doug Ross
Way2Old4Dis
Joanna
/
Alisonfan
Silje
LizzyNY
JMK
party animal - not!
Hebe
globalchick
lamby
pandabear
Dior
iamnoone
monaco
happycat
Catie
LJN2606
bamboochacha
bgarabedian
The next mrs clooney
isogotit
Margaret
premiere
Picachu
phys major
PigPen
Atalante
sparkie
Missa
ispy
jusquatoi2014
ace
bellybaby
silly willy
playfuldeb
Pita428
What Would He Say
lelacorb
chiki
cupcake
Pari
Maggy
madsky
NewFanForever
Lighterside
Carla97
theminis
Love hides in his hair.
catwoman
fava
Butterfly
silly girl
65 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Amal Alamuddin and her work - Page 7 Empty Re: Amal Alamuddin and her work

Post by melbert Mon 26 May 2014, 11:27

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

International Lawyer And Scholar Amal Alamuddin Engaged To George Clooney

Comment Now Follow Comments

Amal Alamuddin, a lawyer whose work includes issues related to Syria, drones and Wikileaks, is engaged to actor George Clooney. People Magazine broke the story noting that Alamuddin and Clooney were spotted at Nobu in Malibu, where they were dining with Cindy Crawford and her husband Rande Gerber (both friends of Clooney’s). Alamuddin was seen at the dinner wearing what looked like an engagement ring on her left ring finger. One of People Magazine’s exclusive sources said, ”Clooney popped the question” and “George and Amal are trying to keep things very low-key but they also aren’t really trying to hide this, it doesn’t seem. I think it’s like they want the people they love to know that this is real, that they plan on being together forever.”

Alamuddin is an accomplished international lawyer. She holds a BA/LLB from St. Hugh’s College, Oxford University (where she won the Shrigley Award) and also holds a Masters of Law (LLM) degree from New York University School of Law (where she earned the Jack J. Katz Memorial Award for excellence in entertainment law). She practiced for several years at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP’s New York office, where she was a member of the Criminal Defense and Investigations Group. There her clients included Enron and Arthur Andersen.

Amar Alamuddin, an accomplished international lawyer who has represented Wikileaks founder Julian Assange and has worked on matters related to drones and Syria, is reportedly engaged to George Clooney, an actor.

In her current position as a barrister in London (Bar of England & Wales, Inner Temple) Alamuddin has represented clients in cases before the International Criminal Court, the International Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights, as well as in domestic courts in the U.K. and the U.S.. Alamuddin has also represented controversial Wikileaks founder Julian Assange in extradition proceedings in the U.K. and former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yuila Tymonshenko before the European Court of Human Rights. Amal previously served as legal adviser to the Prosecutor of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon and as legal adviser to the head of UNIIIC in Beirut.

In addition to individual clients Alamuddin has provided advice to governments on matters related to international law and is an appointed member of a variety of United Nations commissions, including serving as Counsel to the inquiry into the use of drones in counterterrorism operations, led by U.N. Special Rapporteur on counter-terrorism and human rights, Ben Emmerson QC. She is an appointed adviser to Kofi Annan, the Joint Special Envoy of the United Nations and the Arab League on Syria, and she is the legal adviser to the head of the U.N. commission investigating the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Hariri and other terrorist attacks in Lebanon.

Alamuddin is also a scholar, she co-edited the book The Special Tribunal for Lebanon: Law and Practice. The book examines the law and procedure of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, the first international court created in response to a terrorist act, the tribunal was established to try those responsible for the 2005 assassination of Rafic Hariri. She also co-authored an article in the prestigious Journal of International Criminal Justice in which she and her co-author examined the expansion of the International Criminal Court’s jurisdiction over the use of prohibited weapons in international armed conflicts (expanding jurisdiction to their use in internal armed conflicts). In their words, “The amendment sends a signal that individuals should be held accountable for using certain prohibited weapons regardless of the scope of the armed conflict.” In a chapter she wrote for the book Contemporary Challenges for the International Criminal Court she examined the role of the U.N. Security Council in starting and stopping cases at the International Criminal Court, that book featured a bevy of prominent international criminal law scholars including M. Cherif Bassiouni, Mark Ellis, and William Schabas.

In addition to her writing, Alamuddin has served as a guest lecturer on international criminal law at SOAS (University of London), The New School in New York, The Hague Academy of International Law, and the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 26 May 2014, 11:41

Thank you Melbert.

All the facts in one comprehensive article. Oh, and thanks, Forbes

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 26 May 2014, 11:44

Pari wrote:Sorry folks long time... but as I read around I have been having this very un-smart question... I mean, what was the basis for Amal being chosen to be part of ICC??  scratch  

I mean, what was her contribution / crowning glory that got her there?  scratch
Amal isn't part of the ICC.  She's a lawyer working in London.

On another topic entirely, Pari, can I suggest that you save the 'farewell and I'm leaving for good' messages for when you're actually leaving and not coming back?  Alternatively, keep the attention-seeking drama for other sites.  Thanks.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Mon 26 May 2014, 15:16

Katiedot wrote:
Pari wrote:Sorry folks long time... but as I read around I have been having this very un-smart question... I mean, what was the basis for Amal being chosen to be part of ICC??  scratch  

On another topic entirely, Pari, can I suggest that you save the 'farewell and I'm leaving for good' messages for when you're actually leaving and not coming back?  Alternatively, keep the attention-seeking drama for other sites.  Thanks.

Oh thanks Katie... I think in my last note, I did mention that I shall catch up from time to time... Smile And no, I can never crunch up anyone's belief-system can I? Smile 

From my "Goodbye ALL Smile" note:
Pari wrote:Thanks much dear people... my heart is warming up... Smile 

NOPE!! Maggy no... no hurt at all Smile Thanks also Nicky, Lizzy, It's-me, Butterfly (so sweet all) ... big hugs everyone... Yes ofcourse, I miss here too!!  O people, I do... then I spend time praying when I miss too much Smile Shall catch up from time to time (hopefully)...

So there again... love you all, darling hugs everyone... Ta for now I love you

Anyways, thanks Mel, PAN, Katie... for your answers... sad though that it did NOT fully answer my query... I wonder then, as to how Amal can speak for ICC or make comments as ICC Lawyer, if she was not part of ICC?  Smile  Was she not quoted recently as part of ICC? Anyways... Peace all  I love you
Pari
Pari
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Mon 26 May 2014, 15:33

I assume the ICC is the tribunal and many lawyers have cases there. Just like the US Supreme Court--you have to be admitted to the Supreme Court Bar to plead a case there, but once you are you a just one of many lawyers who can present a case there. You are not "part of the Supreme Court". I am not sure of the quote you are referring to where she "spoke for the ICC"

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 26 May 2014, 15:49

Hi Pari.

Maybe you should ask the ICC how barristers are assigned to the their courts. Get it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I think I might know, but would want to be sure...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Mon 26 May 2014, 15:56

Yup!! Got it! Smile Thanks fava, PAN... knew that was an un-smart question somewhere... sorry folks for wasting your time with my silly intrusion...

I love you 
Pari
Pari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 26 May 2014, 17:20

Pari wrote:
Katiedot wrote:

Oh thanks Katie... I think in my last note, I did mention that I shall catch up from time to time... Smile And no, I can never crunch up anyone's belief-system can I? Smile 

From my "Goodbye ALL Smile" note:
Pari wrote:Thanks much dear people... my heart is warming up... Smile 

NOPE!! Maggy no... no hurt at all Smile Thanks also Nicky, Lizzy, It's-me, Butterfly (so sweet all) ... big hugs everyone... Yes ofcourse, I miss here too!!  O people, I do... then I spend time praying when I miss too much Smile Shall catch up from time to time (hopefully)...

So there again... love you all, darling hugs everyone... Ta for now I love you

Pari, I think the point Katiedot wanted to make is, you opened an entire new thread to say goodbye to all on the 9th April. And at that point there was no mentioning "catch up with you later". The post from yourself which you copied above was from the 20th April. So to be fair at the beginning you left the impression you never come back. Next time better not to open a thread to say goodbye if it's not a real goodbye.
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Pari Tue 27 May 2014, 14:00

party animal - not! wrote:Hi Pari.

Maybe you should ask the ICC how barristers are assigned to the their courts. Get it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I think I might know, but would want to be sure...........

Nicky80 wrote:
Pari, I think the point Katiedot wanted to make is, you opened an entire new thread to say goodbye to all on the 9th April. And at that point there was no mentioning "catch up with you later". The post from yourself which you copied above was from the 20th April. So to be fair at the beginning you left the impression you never come back. Next time better not to open a thread to say goodbye if it's not a real goodbye.

Sorry again Nicky... as I apologized yesterday, yes, I messed up big-time, so sorry... I don't think I framed my question right, and I realized later, that those points that I had in mind were in any case irrelevant to be pursued... Smile Thanks much again for yours / everyone else's patience... God bless...
Pari
Pari

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Tue 27 May 2014, 15:38

Tough ladies here, no Pari?  Laughing
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Tue 27 May 2014, 16:24

Join our campaign to end sexual violence against children.
Jenn
Jenn
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Tue 27 May 2014, 17:05

Harper's Bazaar UK :
AMAL ALAMUDDIN AND WILLIAM HAGUE TEAM UP FOR UNICEF

Aside from being George Clooney’s fiancé, Amal Alamuddin is a human rights barrister and campaigner with an agenda to set.

Case in point: today she met with Foreign Secretary William Hague and UNICEF UK campaigners to discuss an end to the rape and abuse of children in war zones before the Global Summit on the subject in June.

“Under international law, the widespread or systematic rape of children in conflict zones can amount to a crime against humanity,” said Alamuddin. “Those who carry out these horrific acts must be held accountable. UNICEF knows from its experience on the ground that sexual violence against children often goes unreported as children fear stigma and retribution or because robust processes do not exist to collect evidence. We need to ensure there are systems in place that will enable child survivors to come forward and access the justice they deserve.”

Jenn
Jenn
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Tue 27 May 2014, 17:47

UNICEF knows from its experience on the ground that sexual violence against children often goes unreported as children fear stigma and retribution or because robust processes do not exist to collect evidence. We need to ensure there are systems in place that will enable child survivors to come forward and access the justice they deserve.”

Well as much as I agree with and applaud her efforts, I fear the larger issue is that this unending cycle of abuse is often due to group(s) trying to wrest power, money, land, minerals, etc. from another. I don't know how you can stop child (woman/boys) rape as long as the conflicts continue.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Tue 27 May 2014, 17:52

I guess you have to start somewhere........and raise awareness

Know I've signed the FGM petition -do we have the UNICEF one here too. FGM conference should be good....

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Tue 27 May 2014, 21:29

All women on this planet just have to say loud and clear, we've had enough of you dominating men, ... , just bang on the table of all those political international institutions, write some laws and MAKE those MEN sign. MEN are the root cause of all sorts of trouble on this planet. She just has to contact all the leading ladies on this planet and they should release a statement that should be shown all over the planet. I do not know those women on that picture. She should get ALL THE LEADING LADIES ! And NO MEN !  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 30 May 2014, 07:04

Wit regards to the UNICEF article above ther eis mentioned that in June is conference held about it. Miss-Sunshine has found the dates in another article. Thanks for the find.

So maybe by then she or "they" LOL have to be back in London?

Amal Alamuddin joins UNICEF and Foreign Secretary Hague to discuss protection of children in conflict zones
28.05.14 | 
Amal Alamuddin
 | 

Yesterday, Amal Alamuddin met with Foreign Secretary William Hague and a group of leading female campaigners to discuss how to drive forward international action to protect children in conflict zones from rape and sexual violence. The group included UNICEF UK Deputy Executive Director Anita Tiessen, Professor Geraldine Van Bueren QC, and Mumsnet Campaign Manager Rowan Davies.

The meeting comes ahead of the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict, which is to be held at London’s Excel Centre from 10 to 13 June 2014. The summit is part of the Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative launched by the Foreign Secretary in 2012, which is aimed at strengthening international efforts to respond to sexual violence in conflict zones. Amal Alamuddin is a member of the multidisciplinary Team of Experts established on behalf of the FCO.

See UNICEF coverage of the meeting here.

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 May 2014, 09:17

Yep. This is a four day conference, and I've signed up to go.

Many high-profile women from all over the world will be speaking and it's led by William Hague and Angelina Jolie. Amal is on the committee

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 30 May 2014, 10:27

Coolio  you need to tell us all about it after you went  Sofa bounce  Maybe you can talk to her..who knows  Hello!
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 30 May 2014, 14:07

I think is many respects I agree with Atalante.  Too many issues on our planet are caused by MEN.  I don't hate men, but I sure hate a lot of what men do.

This kidnapping of women and rape of children is perpetrated by men.  The need for dominance and the domineering behavior that comes with it comes from men.  How women are regarded in many religions run by men is disgraceful, often denigrating and dangerous for women.

Look at the woman in Pakistan who was stoned to death by her family for marrying a man they did not want her to marry.  The Sudanese woman who is to be stoned to death for being a Christian another disgrace.

But just as bad are women who allow themselves to be brainwashed, often since birth by religious dogma that burns into their brains that they are not worthy of respect and basic human dignity.

Much of all of this was thought up by men and carried out with bruteness and force BY MEN.

I say let women be in charge for a while see if things would change.

I think women would try their damnest to avoid war - no mother wants to send her children to be killed, but men think nothing of it and worse have an expectation that their child will not sully the family honor by refusing to go to fight for whatever reason they want to do battle.  Women I think would first try to find compromise and consensus because they have to do it day in and day out just to survive their relationships with their families.

For those of you who are moms out there, I think you know what I'm talking about.  Or any woman who has had to compromise in their work or with a relationship I think you know what skills it takes to do that.

There are some men who get that but in my experience they are in the minority.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Fri 30 May 2014, 14:33

I see your points LornaDoone, but I don't agree with the words "allow themselves to be brainwashed."  Do children really allow brainwashing?  They soak up what they are taught or experience--religion, morality, attitude toward women, etc.  The problem is that too many adults do not question what they were taught as kids or what assumptions about gender underlie their beliefs and behavior.  Some that do question these beliefs live in cultures where it is very hard to act and survive if you disagree with the prevailing culture.

I do think women would run the world differently--once women in power start seeing that they do not have to behave like men. Don't think I will be around to see it though.

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 30 May 2014, 14:53

Perhaps the word allow is not correct.  But this cycle is perpetuated century after century.  The women who agree with these antiquated customs and help to perpetuate them either by fear or silence were brainwashed since birth.

You say the culture won't allow it - yes I agree - but that culture was also brainwashed to believe as they do.  Generation after generation and nothing changes.

Men who push religious beliefs that women and girls should not be educated IMO comes from a fear that men have that if you educate a woman she will know what you are doing is not right.  That how they are treating women is inhumane and should not continue.

These recent stories in the news of girls being kidnapped from schools.  This is exactly what I mean. The man running that one particular group of mercenaries is a misogynist who believes women are dirt and therefore he treats them as such. He also fears an educated woman that's why he takes them from schools.

The fact that the government doesn't seem to be able to do anything but wring their hands and make statements that they can't go in and get those children is disgusting to me.  If that man can come out and kidnap the girls then why the hell can't the government go in and get them?  IMO because deep down those men running the government feel the same way so why bother.

I do see some winds of change however.  And it comes from access to the internet.  I think that's why so many repressive governments try to control every aspect of what people can see on the internet.  When people start to say how other countries live - how repression and religious dogma do not have to be the main focus of their lives, they then start to see that perhaps their way of thinking is not right and could and should be changed.

Arab Spring would not have happened without the internet because those repressive regimes were not able to fully control the media.

Look at North Korea where one sick family has controlled millions of people.  And on a daily basis continues to brainwash their population into believing they are still at war and therefore their hardships are to be borne because of that.  What a crock of bullshit, but they won't ever know as long as they are denied access to uncensored media.  Of course, we have those issues here.  Fox News is a joke only perpetuating one single minded view but that is a company owned by another MAN who wants to control the flow of information and in his own way, control what others think and do.

But I'm on a soapbox here and didn't mean to get on it this morning.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 May 2014, 15:54

The treatment of women and children around the world is despicable. We cannot do enough to protect them from the violence and discrimination they face everywhere (including the so-called "enlightened" countries of the west).

IMO, to focus only on the rights of women creates a backlash that worsens the situation. I think the issue has to be gender equality - that both men and women have equal value and purpose in the world. In our zeal to make things better for women we have made many men feel marginalized and resentful. This doesn't help anyone.

In this country the media often present men as buffoons or permanent adolescents. Women are the grown-ups, men are perpetual children. Women are smarter, men are jocks or nerds. The stereotypes are, IMO, becoming the reality. If women are to be treated with respect, men must also feel respected. It has to be mutual. It doesn't mean one dominates the other, but that both work side by side, each having equal importance.

Just my 2 cents worth.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 May 2014, 16:11

Now this is an agenda that Amal would probably be very happy to join in on..................

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 30 May 2014, 19:53

Thanks for bringing us back on topic, PAN.

The cynics are saying she's only doing this to whitewash her image after her recent jobs defending the indefensible. Your thoughts guys?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 30 May 2014, 20:37

The cynics are saying she's only doing this to whitewash her image after her recent jobs defending the indefensible. Your thoughts guys?

I wouldn't argue the point.

Way2Old4Dis
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 30 May 2014, 21:21

Katiedot wrote:Thanks for bringing us back on topic, PAN.  

The cynics are saying she's only doing this to whitewash her image after her recent jobs defending the indefensible.  Your thoughts guys?

Where is that written being about ? 

Which journals ?

Have you got the necessary links so we can read the facts 

for ourselves please ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 30 May 2014, 21:44

Which cynics? The gossip-ans-trivia writers? Or those who are not quite sure about what she actually does (but think that they know)? Cannot believe some of the ill-founded vitriol knocking around - mostly from other women!!

Sad really........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 30 May 2014, 21:55

I think her interest in ending violence against women and children is probably genuine, but defending the perpetrators, for whatever reason, doesn't help.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Fri 30 May 2014, 22:22

LizzyNY wrote:I think her interest in ending violence against women and children is probably genuine, but defending the perpetrators, for whatever reason, doesn't help.

That hits the nail on the head.

If there ever comes a time when she has to make a choice to defend or not defend a human rights criminal that George has had a hand in exposing through the SSP, she will have an easy out: it would be a conflict of interest. Which would, to me, still call her motives into question.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Pita428 Fri 30 May 2014, 23:35

IF she is doing this to "whitewash" her image maybe she will find it so rewarding that she will give up defending the Assanges of the world.
Pita428
Pita428
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Sat 31 May 2014, 02:42

LornaDoone wrote:I think is many respects I agree with Atalante.  Too many issues on our planet are caused by MEN.  I don't hate men, but I sure hate a lot of what men do.

This kidnapping of women and rape of children is perpetrated by men.  The need for dominance and the domineering behavior that comes with it comes from men.  How women are regarded in many religions run by men is disgraceful, often denigrating and dangerous for women.

Look at the woman in Pakistan who was stoned to death by her family for marrying a man they did not want her to marry.  The Sudanese woman who is to be stoned to death for being a Christian another disgrace.

But just as bad are women who allow themselves to be brainwashed, often since birth by religious dogma that burns into their brains that they are not worthy of respect and basic human dignity.

Much of all of this was thought up by men and carried out with bruteness and force BY MEN.

I say let women be in charge for a while see if things would change.

I think women would try their damnest to avoid war - no mother wants to send her children to be killed, but men think nothing of it and worse have an expectation that their child will not sully the family honor by refusing to go to fight for whatever reason they want to do battle.  Women I think would first try to find compromise and consensus because they have to do it day in and day out just to survive their relationships with their families.

For those of you who are moms out there, I think you know what I'm talking about.  Or any woman who has had to compromise in their work or with a relationship I think you know what skills it takes to do that.

There are some men who get that but in my experience they are in the minority.

Totally agree with you Lorna , I would try everything humanly possible before I would put my children into a potentially dangerous situation.

The hand that rocks the cradle rules the Earth - Mothers in their own homes have so much power and I don't think most realise it - the ability to show your sons/daughters how to live a life with integrity for yourself and others - imagine what the world could be like if we all did this? Where respect/kindness/tolerance for yourself and others is what you value most.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 31 May 2014, 06:53

I mostly agree with Lorna
that being said TheMinis, I am very happy for you I can see that you have not been physically, psychologically or sexually abused. Even in the US it happens and when the woman tries to do something either the cops or the courts a lot of the time don't stand with her. And we have some good laws but it still is a man's world.

So can you imagine what it is like for these women in poor or undeveloped countries. I would not even want to relate some of the stories I've read, horrific. Many of these women think the men have the right. Amal is a Human Rights lawyer when means she can lend her expertise to the matter. Which she defends the ones that we cannot stand it's more about the law and getting it out the what can and cannot be done. So when these people are tried it is done in a legal way. The laws that she helps write and the working knowledge that she obtains she can use to help the lesser. It would be absurd if lawyers only defended the innocent.

She is the perfect person to participate in this project because she sees a lot first hand. And there you go again making me defend her. xxx
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkie Sat 31 May 2014, 08:55

In reference to Julian Assange although I am not defending him in anyway at all and not knowing all the legalities associated with him, one of the main reasons Assange is fighting extradition to Sweden is because the USA want him over Wiki-Leaks and Sweden has an Extradition Agreement with the USA.
sparkie
sparkie
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 31 May 2014, 10:14

Yes Sparkie.  As far as I understand, the rape charges against Assange are fabricated/exaggerated in order to force him to a country that has an extradition treaty with the US so that he can then be arrested by the US and shipped, against his will to America.   He'll never be tried for rape in Sweden.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Sat 31 May 2014, 15:43

Strongly leaning toward the "whitewash". Will help her image, especially with those of us who aren't jumping up and down regarding some of her clients. Question is, who's holding the brush... her people, Stan or George??

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 31 May 2014, 16:47

sparkie wrote:In reference to Julian Assange although I am not defending him in anyway at all and not knowing all the legalities associated with him, one of the main reasons Assange is fighting extradition to Sweden is because the USA want him over Wiki-Leaks and Sweden has an Extradition Agreement with the USA.

I think that if you stake a righteous position and claim that your actions are selfless and for the good of mankind, then you should also stand ready to answer to your foes in an honorable manner. If you're right, face the music, accept the consequences, and take the opportunity to substantiate your beliefs. Don't do something, run from the consequences, and proclaim your righteousness from the safety of a protected haven.

Terrorists strike, then run and hide. And they manipulate and take advantage of the legal system of the very country(ies) they strike against. This is exactly what Assange is doing. And yes, he has the right to do it -- after the fact of his crime. He's a coward, and I have absolutely no sympathy for him.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 31 May 2014, 18:04

fava wrote:Sorry to drag this out Melbert, but I have been curious as to whether Pari genuinely believes this person exists (as I do not think there is any evidence of such) or whether she is just winding folks up.  Pari?
No, the IMDb nutjob posts under a number of nicknames wanting to bring up topics here that she thinks are being censored.

Way2Old4Dis wrote:I think that if you stake a righteous position and claim that your actions are selfless and for the good of mankind, then you should also stand ready to answer to your foes in an honorable manner.
Sure, but that only works if your enemies are being honourable too, which in this case isn't so. It's already been decided that he's guilty and the only question is what sort of punishment is he going to get. He's not going to get a fair trial in the US. Justice is meant to punish the wrongdoers and as publisher of Snowdon's discoveries (alongside a lot alot of other stuff) Assange has shown that the US government has been doing wrong. And they're out for his blood.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 31 May 2014, 18:36

I won't belabor the point -- nobody's changing any minds here, after all -- but how is holding an accused person for trial not being honorable? Yes, I think he's guilty of high crimes. Several people in the administration have said he's a criminal. But that's public opinion, not a legal decision. I won't be sitting on his jury, and neither will any government officials. There are many, many people in this country who think Assange is a hero.

Julian Assange has been caught in more than one lie. Most recently, he threatened to reveal information that the 'caretaker' of the documents had withheld for national (not US or UK) security reasons. This after assuring everyone that he had turned the documents over to protect the integrity of the disclosures. So he was either lying that he hadn't kept at least some of the documents, or he was lying and being manipulative when the caretaker did something not to his liking. Either way, he's hardly what I'd call honorable.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Pita428 Sat 31 May 2014, 19:27

And we do not know for a fact that the rape charges are manufactured. That is something for the legal system to determine.
Pita428
Pita428
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Sat 31 May 2014, 20:28

Yep.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by sparkie Sun 01 Jun 2014, 09:30

Pita428 wrote:And we do not know for a fact that the rape charges are manufactured. That is something for the legal system to determine.
It was reported that he would go to Sweden to face the charges only if there was a guarantee of no extradition to the USA, when it became very apparent that Sweden was going to help extradite him to the USA it was then he sought political asylum in an Embassy with no extradition treaty with the USA. Please don't get me wrong I am not defending him on any level, but lets not be naive here America was exposed big time with what they had and were doing and they want him real bad.
sparkie
sparkie
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 01 Jun 2014, 20:55

Hi Pari and others, I've moved our posts to this thread: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 02 Jun 2014, 18:13

Amal defends her defense of morally questionable people with the tenet that the integrity of the legal process requires that everyone receives vigorous representation. Well, if only by extension, the integrity of the law also requires that the accused actually stand in that defense -- not run away from it, or use borders and political policy to circumvent it. Face the effing music, with your vigorous defense at your side. Defense attorneys, in a just system, have  every obligation to mount the best case to save their client. They are not, however, there to help the defendant hide from the law of the land in which he is accused.

Assange, and by her legal support, Ms. Alamuddin, are perpetuating a legal system in which anyone can commit any crime of any magnitude, then avoid the consequences as long as they have enough money to run, hide, and pay big money to game the law. It could be corruption. It could be sexual assault. Or, coming soon to a country near you, it could be genocide.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 02 Jun 2014, 18:52

Coming soon to a country near you: a power-drunk unaccountable governmental agency riding roughshod over all civilian rights and abusing the law to silence and imprison anyone who points out their shortfalls.  Oh no, wait.  We've already got that.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not a big fan of Julian Assange. I think he's odd and I suspect he's borderline one of those social anarchists who would happily bring the whole world crashing to its knees which doesn't do any of us any good. That doesnt mean that everything he's done is bad or that he deserves the punishment the US government would want to give him.

Ok, we're not going to see eye to eye on this one and as it's taking us ever further away from the discussion of Amal's work (although I do appreciate that you did bring us back on topic there), are you ok if I move this conversation to another part of the forum?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Way2Old4Dis Mon 02 Jun 2014, 19:06

No problem at all. I keep telling myself to shut the hell up about it anyway, but give in to the bitchiness against my better judgment.

Way2Old4Dis

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Thu 05 Jun 2014, 21:29

Where oh where has Georgie's little girl gone.. oh where oh where can she be??
Man, she fell off the face of the earth really quick, didn't she.  Her first couple of days back to London, and the paps have photos of her back on the job, dashing to meetings, blah blah etc.  Then, absolutely nada.  Did the paps stop following her?  Has she gone on another vacation?  Or is she of no interest unless George is at her side, or she has just left his.  Comments, thoughts, opinions.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 05 Jun 2014, 22:07

Maybe George arriving in London with his trusty
Gio put a stop to it ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Thu 05 Jun 2014, 22:13

Amal is a great advocate for human rights, oh she is a charming lawyer, she is smart and graduated at Oxford, she is, until I ask myself the question: what if I were the mother of a Libyan boy tortured, tortured (they used electric shocks to the testicles), tortured and then brutally killed by Gheddafi's troops, what to think by the very talented lawyer Amal Alamuddin? It's your judgment!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigPen Fri 06 Jun 2014, 15:11

Joanna- Naw, I doubt it.

lelacorb- Completely agree. Yet she remains, in the opinion of many(or so it seems) to be a free of fault/blame.  I may be phrasing this ineffectively, but hope you get my point.  All these examples, and she's still regarded as brilliant, humanitarian, etc, etc, etc.  I'd like to meet her PR person.  Deserves a raise.

PigPen

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Fri 06 Jun 2014, 21:33

If he goes into politics (which I doubt) where does that leave her career? Americans tend to expect the spouses of their elected officials to take an active role in public life. I don't think defending dictators and hackers fits the bill.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next