George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

» George's kids don't know hes famous yet....
South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting EmptyMon 05 Feb 2024, 11:29 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting

4 posters

Go down

South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting Empty South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting

Post by chiki Thu 23 Jan 2014, 21:18

Just the first step, but at least some good news.

South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(CNN) -- The South Sudanese government and rebels signed a cease-fire deal on Thursday after more than a month of fighting, according to the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, an East African trade bloc that has been helping to mediate between the parties.
The government and the rebels reached the agreement in Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa.
It calls for an immediate end to all military operations and a freeze of forces at the "place they are in."
The parties also agreed not to attack civilians and refrain from rape, sexual abuse and torture. Supply routes for humanitarian aid are to be opened to reach displaced populations.
The agreement also sets up an unarmed group of monitors that includes members from surrounding East African nations and representatives from both the rebels and the government.
Their job will be to ensure that the cease-fire agreement is effective.
According to the official document, the cease-fire begins Friday, 24 hours after its signing.
South Sudan erupted in violence on December 15 when rebels loyal to ousted Vice President Riek Machar tried to stage a coup. Violence quickly spread, with reports of mass killings emerging nationwide.
Some of the heaviest fighting was over control of the city of Bor, the strategically located capital of Jonglei state. It was recaptured by government forces last week. The mayor of Bor said between 1,200 and 1,400 civilians were killed when rebels held Bor between December 17 and 24.
In a statement, the trade bloc said the cease-fire is an important milestone, but more shuttle diplomacy is needed before the next phase of peace talks can begin.
South Sudan seceded from Sudan in 2011 after decades of war, making it the world's youngest nation.

chiki
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting Empty Re: South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting

Post by it's me Thu 23 Jan 2014, 21:19

let's hope for more!
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting Empty Re: South Sudan, rebels reach cease-fire after weeks of fighting

Post by Lighterside Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:51

Oh thank goodness at least it's a step in the right direction....those poor people have been put through more than any people should have to endure. I fear the psychological damage on them all, most especially the children. Who could live through what they've been forced to endure and not be forever changed? And not in a good way either!
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:57

exactly
the memory of what happened is right now modeling youngster hearts
it leads to keep alive the angryness
and there is no end in repeating the madness

the only way to stop would be cutting the flow

but
how?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:01

Well for a start, take GREED out of the equation!  Give the oil rights to the PEOPLE of the land and stop the world powers from engaging the bad actors in this drama!

The gravest sin in all of the geo-political fights around the globe is the unending worship and pursuit of money...and the ruthlessness of those who will do whatever it takes to get it.

Last edited by Lighterside on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:04; edited 1 time in total
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:03

bad actor who?

anyway
your idea is awesome good

the problem is
HOW MAKE IT DONE?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:05

money owned (illegally) by the 'winner' of those situations can persuade many to help them to keep things like they are

ppl who has rights has no money to defend themselves

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:06

The "bad actors" in this particular drama are the ones benefiting from the oil they in turn sell to the world powers...follow the money and you will see who the they are.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:06

well
I now saw you changed your post

I am happy we are similar ideas now Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:10

Every investigation of crimes committed against humanity or any individual usually stem from three primary causes; greed, covering up another crime already committed or pursuit of power.

If you follow the money (in most cases) or whom is benefitting from a situation, you will find the perpetrator.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:13

but you need to really pursue them

interesting discussion
thanks Smile
but have to go
see u !
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:29

If you want to stop genocide, you have to be ready to pursue them to the ends of the earth!  That's the problem with most conflicts in the world.  No one has the intestinal fortitude it takes to see something to the end.  They want a "quick diplomatic solution"(look at Syria right now) so they can go back to pursuing their own agendas.  

That's how Rwanda happened!  No one felt particularly motivated or interested in the plight of a million people, who were viewed as collateral damage, in the quest by one side of the conflict for the pursuit of power/resources and an ethnic cleansing of the other group but their greed at the base of power in the conflict was probably more prescient a motivator than they would have anyone believe.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Jan 2014, 16:31

sadly true
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 24 Jan 2014, 16:36

As the world population increases and the world's resources are consumed at a faster pace by that increase, world powers are going to have to recognize that "we are our brother's keepers" and that if humanity is going to survive the challenges that we face today, in this "nuclear age", then we have to all start pulling together in the same direction for the protection and prosperity of us all.  

We have to realize that a "bad political actor" on one side of the globe, most definitely impacts the common good of the rest of the world population and there has to be more political will to address these issues that impact the entire globe.  No man is an island and as the world becomes ever "smaller"  we must realize that we are a "human family" and address our problems of living in this world collectively, for the greater good, instead of this constant pursuit of fortune and power by the chosen few at the top, at the expense of the whole of humanity.

Climate change deniers, like the Koch Brothers here in the US for example, only abound because there is a lack of will in the political arena to challenge their greedy pursuit of world resources.  They care nothing for the safety of the civilian populations they inadvertantly poison by cutting corners, because afterall, profit is the name of the game and retaining more of it for themselves is paramount to their civil rights in the "pursuit of free commerce".   If they poison a well, a water table or a river, while pumping sand tar across the heartland (Keystone Pipeline), where a great portion of the world's food supply is grown by the way...so be it!  They have a protected civil right to pursue their free commerce/trade and they will assure the government that they have safety measures in place and it isn't until a "spill" happens, like the one of tar sands they've been cleaning up in Michigan for almost three years now or the chemical spill into the river in West Virginia, now affecting mulitple states around it, that anyone even questions whether oversight is sufficient to protect the public interest.  Our well being always seems to be the last item on the list of importance.  Profits first, puplic safety be damned!
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 Jan 2014, 16:41

we can only sadly agree
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 24 Jan 2014, 16:48

Thumbs up! 
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by mosaic Fri 07 Feb 2014, 22:23

Lighterside wrote:As the world population increases and the world's resources are consumed at a faster pace by that increase, world powers are going to have to recognize that "we are our brother's keepers" and that if humanity is going to survive the challenges that we face today, in this "nuclear age", then we have to all start pulling together in the same direction for the protection and prosperity of us all.  

We have to realize that a "bad political actor" on one side of the globe, most definitely impacts the common good of the rest of the world population and there has to be more political will to address these issues that impact the entire globe.  No man is an island and as the world becomes ever "smaller"  we must realize that we are a "human family" and address our problems of living in this world collectively, for the greater good, instead of this constant pursuit of fortune and power by the chosen few at the top, at the expense of the whole of humanity.

Climate change deniers, like the Koch Brothers here in the US for example, only abound because there is a lack of will in the political arena to challenge their greedy pursuit of world resources.  They care nothing for the safety of the civilian populations they inadvertantly poison by cutting corners, because afterall, profit is the name of the game and retaining more of it for themselves is paramount to their civil rights in the "pursuit of free commerce".   If they poison a well, a water table or a river, while pumping sand tar across the heartland (Keystone Pipeline), where a great portion of the world's food supply is grown by the way...so be it!  They have a protected civil right to pursue their free commerce/trade and they will assure the government that they have safety measures in place and it isn't until a "spill" happens, like the one of tar sands they've been cleaning up in Michigan for almost three years now or the chemical spill into the river in West Virginia, now affecting mulitple states around it, that anyone even questions whether oversight is sufficient to protect the public interest.  Our well being always seems to be the last item on the list of importance.  Profits first, puplic safety be damned!

I could not agree more!  I am sick of corporations that act as if they have no responsibility towards the environment.  And what happens over *here* affects what happens over *there*....if XL pipeline goes through, it will create a really toxic byproduct of petcoke, which is very toxic...and again, the Koch brothers have their dirty little hands in that business and were responsible for the petcoke being placed next to the Detroit river.  Now it's been moved to Ohio, out of sight, out of mind. They just push it around. Arrgh.

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down