George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline

+3
Carla97
it's me
Mazy
7 posters

Go down

George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline Empty George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline

Post by Mazy Sun 05 Jan 2014, 06:50

George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline
By Rachel Kleinman  December 31, 2013
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One TimelineImage Credit: Wikimedia

If you forgot that George Clooney's résumé included political activism, last week's uptick in violence in South Sudan served as your reminder. Clooney used his celebrity to call attention to the problems there in a co-written article in the Daily Beast.

But Clooney's activism didn't start there. In fact, his outspoken political perspective dates back to 2003, when Clooney made a crack about gun enthusiast Charlton Heston, thus revealing Clooney's own feelings about the hot button issue of gun control.

Here's a brief timeline of the two-time Sexiest Man Alive's career as a political animal:

1. April 2006

Clooney spent 10 days in Chad and Sudan with his father, making the TV special, "A Journey to Darfur," which looks at Darfur's refugees and advocates for action. Shortly thereafter, Clooney spoke at a Save Darfur rally in Washington, D.C.

2. September 2006
Via: Wikimedia
The Gravity star and Nobel Prize winner Elie Wiesel spoke to the UN Security Council, asking the UN to find a solution to the conflict in Darfur.

3. December 2006
Via: Flickr
Along with fellow actor and activist Don Cheadle, as well as two Olympic medalists, Clooney visited China and Egypt to ask both governments to pressure Sudan's government.

4. March 2007
Clooney sent an open letter to German Chancellor Angela Merkel, asking the European Union to take "decisive action" in Darfur. This same year, Clooney narrated and was co-executive producer of the documentary Sand and Sorrow.

5. November 2007

Clooney appeared in the documentary film Darfur Now, a call to action to help end the crisis in Darfur.

6. December 2007

Clooney and Cheadle received the Summit Peace Award from the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates in Rome.

7. January 2008
The UN announced Clooney's appointment as a messenger of peace Messenger of Peace.

8. February 2009
Via: Wikipedia
Clooney visited Goz Beida, Chad, with New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof.

9. January 2010
Clooney organized a telethon that collected donations for victims of the 2010 Haiti earthquake.

10. October 2010
Clooney, along with With the help of activist John Prendergast, the actor initiated the Satellite Sentinel Project (SSP), which aims to monitor armed activity for signs of renewed civil war between Sudan and South Sudan. They also detect and deter mass atrocities along the border.

11. May 2011
Clooney and John Prendergast co-wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post  called "Dancing with a dictator in Sudan."

12. March 2012
Clooney starred with Working alongside actors Martin Sheen and Brad Pitt, Clooney starred in a performance of Dustin Lance Black's play, 8, which is a reenactment of the federal trial that overturned California's ban on same-sex marriage. Clooney played attorney David Boies, and the production raised money for the American Foundation for Equal Rights. In the same month, Clooney was arrested for civil disobedience during a protest outside the Sudanese Embassy in Washington, D.C.

13. September 2012
Clooney took an auction winner out to lunch to benefit the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN).

14. December 2013

George Clooney sent a video message of support to Ukraine's protesters earlier this month. In the video, he condemned the violent crackdown on protesters, as well as the ongoing detention of jailed former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline Empty Re: George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline

Post by it's me Sun 05 Jan 2014, 06:53

thanks, amazing to see all together
and I am sure many went left too...
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline Empty Re: George Clooney's Incredible Activism, in One Timeline

Post by Carla97 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 11:29

Impressive.
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:31

Thanks for posting that very informative Timeline
Mazy.

Here's a link to item 11 from the above Timeline.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:32

Thanks Mazy great to see everything listed. Love the videos.
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:33

Thanks Joanna  Thumbs up!
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:40

Yes great timeline but as you said It's me some have been left off...he also organized the Sept 11 concert or was at least was a big part of the organization of it....probably does more we don't know about too.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Sun 05 Jan 2014, 13:13

I'd imagine the Famous Four would do a lot behind closed doors.
IMO they'd make public the ones that
need to be financially supported because of people suffering because of war and famine and lack of clean water.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sun 05 Jan 2014, 14:26

Thanks Joanna for the link I posted it in the Causes section.

This is just a small sample of what George has been involved with, I just thought it was a nice recognition of his humanitarianism.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 06 Jan 2014, 00:07

surely nice
and surely partial

and surely there's more

and more and more
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 06 Jan 2014, 04:29

Yes, there's lots more - this is mostly the US-focused stuff. There's the 'A heart for Children' event in Germany and the donations he made in Rome for the motorbike ambulances.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 06 Jan 2014, 09:03

oh my
how many things! good idea to make a list
can we try?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:53

We did make a start: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down