George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Matt Damon - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Matt Damon

+16
LizzyNY
amaretti
Doug Ross
Picachu
playfuldeb
silly girl
melbert
Mazy
LornaDoone
Nicky80
theminis
Joanna
Carla97
Maggy
Juliette Hardy
it's me
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Matt Damon - Page 2 Empty Re: Matt Damon

Post by playfuldeb Mon 13 Jan 2014, 15:01

What a great guy. I am so happy for him that he is blessed with such a great career, a loving family, and a humble spirit.
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 14 Jan 2014, 09:38

I agree playful. I believe he's very grounded with a large extended family around him.
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 16 Jan 2014, 01:03

Matt on Jay Leno

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 16 Jan 2014, 01:42

Thanks Mel I enjoyed that
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 16 Jan 2014, 01:52

Yes, thank you, Mel. I mentioned this on one of the Monuments Men thread - probably got the wrong one!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 16 Jan 2014, 02:55

He is such a cutie pie - The consensus in Australia from most media people is that he is the nicest most humble celeb and they love talking to him..
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 16 Jan 2014, 04:17

Thanks TheMinis. I didn't see this one when I posted the one above.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Thu 16 Jan 2014, 07:29

theminis wrote:Thanks Mel I enjoyed that
I did too!

Thanks!
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 16 Jan 2014, 11:59

Nicky80 wrote:RM: You and George Clooney seem to be best friends, how is it in real life?

MD: For 12 years we have been friends and frankly I cannot find any fault with him. Maybe he has, but I do not see them. He is a wonderful person, incredibly generous and he is one of the best directors I've worked with. He works pretty well too and I have just finished filming the "The Monuments Men" film. I know what I'm saying may seem trite, but Geroge is as he seems, he is always natural and has no "frills".

RM: You and George Clooney seem to be best friends, how is it in real life?
MD: For 12 years we have been friends and frankly I cannot find any fault with him. Maybe he has, but I do not see them. He is a wonderful person, incredibly generous and he is one of the best directors I've worked with. He works pretty well too and I have just finished filming the "The Monuments Men" film. I know what I'm saying may seem trite, but Geroge is as he seems, he is always natural and has no "frills".

Just see that the text above never displayed the first time I posted it. I couldn't edit now so I repost it. Hope this works now. Thanks everyone for the videos  Very Happy  
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 16 Jan 2014, 16:15

thanks for the text!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Thu 16 Jan 2014, 16:40

". He is a wonderful person, incredibly generous and he is one of the best directors I've worked with. "

aww, I want to be in one of his films  Very Happy
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 23 Jan 2014, 22:44

Matt Damon to be honoured for his work in water.org at the Davos World Economic Forum

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 23 Jan 2014, 22:49

ACTOR Matt Damon left VIPs in stitches at the World Economic Forum, where he gave a speech he never thought he'd be able to give.  

Damon was in Davos to accept the Crystal Award for his social, environmental and humanitarian work, including founding Water.org with Gary White.

But before he got serious, he accepted the award as if he was at the Golden Globes, and had actually won the gong his friend and co-star Michael Douglas took home instead for their movie, Behind the Candelabra.

In his joke acceptance speech, Damon started with saying: "This is a really, really big honour and I want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press Association ... Wait, this is the wrong speech.

"This is the Golden Globes speech I never got to give," Damon clarified, deadpan, referring to his loss that night to Douglas for Best Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries.

Douglas and Damon have had an open bromance going during Hollywood's awards season, and every time Douglas gets the award over Damon, he thanks him and says he should have won the Award too.

"I know I didn't win, but to be honest I kind of want to give this speech anyway," he continued. "It's pretty good. There's this part where I talk about what it was like working with Michael Douglas, and I get kind of emotional. It's really good!

"Then I get a big kiss from Bono ... Anyway, I'll do that next year maybe."

VIPs at the WEF were left laughing as Damon then got on with the real reason he was there.

Last edited by theminis on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 22:52; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edited text, added video)
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 23 Jan 2014, 23:00

did he learn from G? Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 24 Jan 2014, 02:01

Some times I think that George sort of trys to guide Matt on being a celebrity. Matt has all the right qualities and is a caring humanitarian like George. He will be as big as George one day because he's not a jerk likke some A-listers.

I noticed how George pushes Matt ahead of him like in MM. Now bringing him into Nespresso. The big difference will be he's a great family man. With Ben A he did similar with but not as much. According to what George said it seems like it goes both ways, Matt is a good influence on George and it's like they can really talk. XXX
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 24 Jan 2014, 02:15

Yep. I seem to remember him being quoted as absolutely delighted when he thought his friend had found love with Elisabetta Canalis.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 24 Jan 2014, 03:48

Aaah, they all get quoted as saying that.

I'm not sure that George and Matt (or Ben for that matter) are particularly close friends. I think film sets build up a close cameraderie which fades away once filming's over. I'm sure they're in touch - George seems the type - but I don't know that that makes them good friends or that they have any influence on each other.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 08:34

Thanks theminis. great speech.  Thumbs up! 

I don't think as well that they are close friends or that one or the other takes direction from the other person. I believe they are just close work buddies and get on very well.....
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:57

Way to go Matt! cheers 

I don't really care what motivates him to do this.  There are millions upon millions of people without clear, clean water and any effort on his part to help them or to shine a light on their plight is A-Okay with me.  I think he's awesome for spending time on this issue.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by ... Sat 25 Jan 2014, 01:09

@p.a.-n!
Not sure if George found "love" with anyone.  Actually according to his recent Esquire & W interviews, he hasn't met the love of his life yet.

Anyway, it was People magazine who quoted Matt Damon as saying he was "glad that GC was happy with his latest gf," at the time (half a decade ago).
Adhering to supportive publicity.

Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Sat 25 Jan 2014, 02:48

Why does he have to be "adhering to supportive publicity"? Maybe, at the time, he was just happy for his friend.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Sat 25 Jan 2014, 04:18

So they are not close friends but Matt and family have stayed both at Georges homes in Como and LA and matts kids seemingly call him uncle george, as far as I'm concerned but yet none of us really know yes they are good friends
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 08:01

He was just in Davos talking about clear water. Water is a big thing. First time I hear his active on it.  Thumbs up! 
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 30 Jan 2014, 09:37

Matt is the co-founder of water.org together with
Gary White. Information and CNN video interview
with Matt is here.

Web site is here......

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 30 Jan 2014, 18:41

Here's a CNN OPEd from Matt's Mom - Nancy Carlsson-Paige

Editor's note: Nancy Carlsson-Paige is professor emerita of early childhood education at Lesley University in Massachusetts. Her most recent book is called "Taking Back Childhood: A Proven Roadmap for Raising Confident, Creative, Compassionate Kids."

How to raise a grounded, creative child

By Nancy Carlsson-Paige
updated 7:24 AM EST, Thu January 30, 2014

(CNN) -- People often ask me, especially after another young celebrity takes a fall, "How did you raise two talented artists, both wonderful fathers, who both do such good work in the world?" (One of my sons is the actor Matt Damon, the other, Kyle, is a sculptor). So many young stars seem to struggle and stumble under the pressure of their fame. Why do some handle it well while others go off the rails?

There's no simple answer to this question. A lot happens in our children's lives that we parents can't control. From the beginning, children come to us with different personalities and temperaments; they are born into different cultures and economic circumstances. But we parents are the most important influence in their early lives, and what we do affects how our kids learn to handle the stresses life brings, whatever paths their lives take.

Tne dimension of healthy childhood that gives kids a solid footing in life is having lots of child-centered play throughout the early years and even into grade school. Play is the most important vehicle children have for coping with life and making sense of it.

Matt played pretend games for hours every day for many years -- making up stories, taking on roles and re-working his experiences in creative ways. Not only did all this play help build a strong sense of inner security in Matt, it also built up his capacity to imagine, create and invent ideas.

I believe these years of child-centered play helped Matt become the actor and grounded person he is today. It is of great concern to me that there is less play in children's lives today than a generation ago. The hours spent in front of screens have replaced playtime outside school, and too much focus on academics and testing has eroded playtime inside schools.

When kids are confused or scared or they don't understand things, they work it out in their play. Using their imagination, they rework things until they feel some sense of mastery. This is kids' ongoing way of coping with life and it is crucial for building inner resilience and security.

That inner strength and resilience begins to develop at birth. It is first felt as a sense of trust in others -- adults who respond to cries of hunger and who can provide a home, safety and health.

As time goes on, kids start to carry that security with them on the inside. Security will grow or weaken in childhood depending a lot on how we adults relate to our children in everyday interactions. When we are too heavy-handed with our authority, kids often feel insecure or fearful.

When we punish them or use threats and timeouts or other coercive tactics, they might try to obey on the surface, but they aren't building the inner strength and confidence that will be their moral compass when we are not there.

We don't really have to over-use our adult authority with children. We can work out most things with them -- listening to their feelings and needs and taking these into account as much as possible. When we listen to kids with our full attention and try to say back to them what we heard without judging it or giving our own opinion, they feel great trust in us and in themselves. And this kind of listening prevents many conflicts from escalating or from happening in the first place. Of course children need limits, but not the kind that are imposed by "Do as I say."

Recently I was walking on busy streets with my 5-year-old grandson Jake. He pulled his hand from mine. I asked, "You don't want to hold my hand?" "No," he said, "I want to walk by myself." I said, "How about this: On the sidewalk you walk alone and when we cross the street, you hold my hand, because there are so many cars zooming around." Jake nodded yes and took my hand when we got to the street. This simple example shows a way of being with children, of being on the same side with them, working things out with them -- something we can do almost all the time. It is a way of being that helps to strengthen children's inner security and confidence in their own ideas.

Schools are the other big influence in our children's lives. Children spend about half their waking hours in school and what happens there has a big part to play in the inner confidence and social responsibility they develop.

I sent my sons Kyle and Matt to a public high school where community participation, respect for differences, learning empathy and concern for others were part of daily school life. The school had an excellent drama program, another reason why I wanted to send Matt there.

All kids who wanted to participate in the school's stellar ensemble productions could. Matt wasn't a "star." He was on equal footing with all the other kids. Stardom can be confusing for a teen -- it's a time of figuring out who you are and how you fit into what suddenly seems like a much bigger world. Matt's high school drama experiences gave him a rock solid start in theater -- he worked hard at his craft and found delight and meaning in collaboration.

I believe that schools should be places not only for academic learning, but also where young people build confidence, a sense of self, and learn to become responsible citizens. It is one of the great tragedies of our day that our schools, excessively driven by data and standardized tests, have no time for activities that can't be tested. No time for the arts and play and the social and emotional learning that will help children handle what life has in store.

Although we parents can't control everything that happens in our kids' lives, we can do a lot to help them build inner security, confidence and a strong inner moral compass that will guide them through challenges they will face when we are no longer there. And our schools should build on this foundation. We should insist that our schools address not just academics, but the whole child -- so that all our children can become healthy and strong and enter adulthood as responsible and caring citizens.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by LizzyNY Thu 30 Jan 2014, 21:11

(Besides being on Jimmy Kimmel Live with the cast of MM on 2/6, Matt is scheduled to appear on Live with Kelly and Michael on 2/7.)

As a teacher I can appreciate Ms. Carlsson-Paige's ideas on raising confident, self-sufficient children. It's too bad more educators don't think along the same lines and appreciate the importance of unstructured play and the arts.
LizzyNY
LizzyNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 30 Jan 2014, 21:13

I always felt that Matt was well grounded.
This was confirmed when I saw him on In the Actors Studio.
All his family were in the front row, both close members and extended members, and they all appeared
to have a good connection.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 22:35

Thanks for the links Joanna. Water is a huge business...very interesting, maybe not in short term but definately in a long run.
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 30 Jan 2014, 22:46

Agree with some things she said, maybe Im perhaps at time too strict with the discipline but I do believe that if children know whats expected, they feel far more secure in the long run.

One thing I do like about my childrens school, is their philosophy that we educate the whole child, its not just about academics - several classes that are part of their curriculum are more play centered, like performing arts class, visual arts class and 2 sports days a week where they spend half the day learning new sports, teamwork etc. Its very well balanced. If I could change one thing I would halve their homework, as I do think that 5 to 8 year olds are given too much of it - we spend half to 1 hour each night doing their homework, or practising reading etc. 1 hour is not a lot but can imagine it would be hard for working parents to find the required amount of time they need. There are so many rules at school at the moment that I think its taking away the adventure and play side of our children - no chasing, no running, no hugging, no contact sports etc etc, kids need to build and learn resilience, how can they do that if they are overly protected.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:54

I know exactly what you mean Theminis. And discipline part I totally agree. It´s tough job to keep the boundaries and workable timetables with kids. Parents/ mothers involvement is needed 100%. I don´t know how it was with others, but when I went to school things were completely different. My parents never did homework with me or prepared me for tests. When I was with my friends I don´t even now where my parents where. Today, it feels like I´m going to school again. So much homework, so much I need to help with school stuff. And when his friends are over our house, it involves me 99.9% of the time. Supervising, making snacks,lunch, supper, dinner... taking them here and there.

So I wonder how these kids can develop any skills to navigate on streets or in life? So overly protected. They do not need to use any practical problem solving skills when they are escorted from door to door and all the time told to what to do.

Yes and art, it was so hilarious when my son´s art class was suppose to paint a mountain and a cow. There was a picture on wall and that was how their work should look like too. Well, if it didn´t teacher throw a fit and asked to paint again.  Laughing 
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 31 Jan 2014, 13:06

world was a bit different
at the time

as kids we where all over
going by bicycles or foot

there were so many less cars around
and kids were cared by all community

now children live mostly alone in their home
far from everything

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Fri 31 Jan 2014, 23:22

That's exactly right It's me. I know myself that due to mainly circumstances and not necessarily my families choice I was left to my own devices a lot , I had way more freedom than I allow my own children. Trying to work on changing that, My son is in grade 3 and at that point I was walking to/from school but I just can't imagine allowing my son to do that yet. Not enough attention and quality time spent with kids perhaps due both parents working (or not plugged in) and too much attention or over protecting them are both damaging.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 03 Feb 2014, 22:08

Article about Matt Damon's visit to his Alma Mater today to talk About Monuments Men

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 03 Feb 2014, 22:43

From Pans link above

Actor Matt Damon to talk about ‘Monuments Men’

By Mark Shanahan and Meredith Goldstein | Globe Staff February 02, 2014

Homeboy Matt Damon will have to ratchet up the hype machine if he has any hope of countering critics of his new movie, “Monuments Men.” Directed by George Clooney, the film about a WWII platoon charged with rescuing art masterpieces from Nazi thieves is getting mostly negative reviews, and that doesn’t bode well for the box office. (Variety’s Scott Foundas called the film “exceedingly dull and dreary,” and Indiewire’s Drew Taylor said it’s “an unwieldy, overtly sentimental (but still emotionally distant) epic.” Damon’s salvage mission starts Monday with a panel discussion at Harvard’s JFK School. The actor will be there via Skype with Robert Edsel, who wrote the book on which the movie is based. The film is of local interest because Clooney’s character, George Stout, was a conservator at Harvard’s Fogg Museum and later became director of the Worcester Art Museum and the Gardner Museum. In addition to Clooney and Damon, “Monuments Men” stars Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, and John Goodman. It opens Feb. 7.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2