George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?

+2
silly girl
Lighterside
6 posters

Go down

Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  Empty Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?

Post by Lighterside Mon 29 Jul 2013, 15:56

I KNEW this pope was special!  Finally...some humility, tolerance, openness, inclusion and unconditional love on display from the Vatican!

Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?

Pope Francis has had a busy week at World Youth Day in Rio as he visited his slums and prisons, blessed the Olympic flag and brought three million people to Copacabana Beach for a final Mass on Sunday morning.

Now he has made another headline, this time when the pontiff said, "Who am I to judge a gay person?"

While taking questions from reporters on the plane back to Rome, Francis spoke about gays and the reported "gay lobby." According to the Wall Street Journal, the Pope's comments about homosexuality came in the context of a question about gay priests.

The pontiff broached the delicate question of how he would respond to learning that a cleric in his ranks was gay, though not sexually active. For decades, the Vatican has regarded homosexuality as a "disorder," and Pope Francis' predecessor Pope Benedict XVI formally barred men with what the Vatican deemed "deep-seated" homosexuality from entering the priesthood.
"Who am I to judge a gay person of goodwill who seeks the Lord?" the pontiff said, speaking in Italian. "You can't marginalize these people."

John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter reported on the meeting as well and said the Pope also addressed the question of the Vatican's reported "gay lobby".

He hasn’t run into significant resistance to reform inside the Vatican, and joked that if there really is a “gay lobby” he hasn’t yet seen it stamped on anyone’s ID cards.

Father James Martin, S.J. who is an admirer of Francis, said that the pontiff's comment about gay people is consistent with the rest of his papacy.

"One of Francis's hallmarks is an emphasis on mercy, which you see in that response. That mercy, of course, comes from Jesus. And we can never have too much of it."

The pope did not offer much hope for those advocating for women Catholic priests, according to Allen at NCR, saying: Pope John Paul II “definitively … closed the door' to women priests.

More from the Associated Press:

ABOARD THE PAPAL AIRCRAFT — Pope Francis reached out to gays on Monday, saying he wouldn't judge priests for their sexual orientation in a remarkably open and wide-ranging news conference as he returned from his first foreign trip.
"If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?" Francis asked.

His predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, signed a document in 2005 that said men with deep-rooted homosexual tendencies should not be priests. Francis was much more conciliatory, saying gay clergymen should be forgiven and their sins forgotten.

Francis' remarks came Monday during a plane journey back to the Vatican from his first foreign trip in Brazil.

He was funny and candid during a news conference that lasted almost an hour and a half. He didn't dodge a single question, even thanking the journalist who raised allegations reported by an Italian newsmagazine that one of his trusted monsignors was involved in a scandalous gay tryst.

Francis said he investigated and found nothing to back up the allegations.

Francis was asked about Italian media reports suggesting that a group within the church tried to blackmail fellow church officials with evidence of their homosexual activities. Italian media reported this year that the allegations contributed to Benedict's decision to resign

While stressing Catholic social teaching that calls for homosexuals to be treated with dignity and not marginalized, Francis said it was something else entirely to conspire to use private information for blackmail or to exert pressure.

Francis was responding to reports that a trusted aide was involved in an alleged gay tryst a decade ago. He said he investigated the allegations according to canon law and found nothing to back them up. But he took journalists to task for reporting on the matter, saying the allegations concerned matters of sin, not crimes like sexually abusing children.

And when someone sins and confesses, he said, God not only forgives but forgets.

"We don't have the right to not forget," he said.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  Empty Re: Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?

Post by silly girl Mon 29 Jul 2013, 16:09

I know he seems wonderful....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?  Empty Re: Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?

Post by Nicky80 Mon 29 Jul 2013, 18:18

Well if he would say gays have the same rights than he would be wonderful but he didn't he only said "Who am I to judge them". The church will still not change and accept gays. Maybe it is a big step for a pope to say that but still behind in todays world. But hey....good he said it now some positive news for the church. It is better compare to the child sex scandals......But who am I to judge the pope or church Wink 

Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Mon 29 Jul 2013, 21:56

Baby steps Nicky...baby steps...wouldn't want to shake those "holy" cardinals and bishops out of their complacency/hypocrisy too fast! It might prove to be too much of a shock to their delicate systems.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 29 Jul 2013, 22:01

The man is full of BULLSHIT !!! It's just PR. Women can't become priests, what a joke, but yet again they may do more of their dirty work.

MEN, .............. nothing but DOMINATING MEN, ... Twisted Evil 
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Gal Mon 29 Jul 2013, 22:47

I thought that Pope Francis' comments regarding gay priests were remarkable! As far as women as priests, I understand why because I am Catholic, but remember that the church moves VERY slowly. Perhaps one day...
Carolina Gal
Carolina Gal
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 29 Jul 2013, 23:04

I don't get those catholic women either. They just should chose their own female pope. Easypeasy. That would be a major hoot ! Laughing 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Tue 30 Jul 2013, 00:25

Just too many good women to choose from....one day come the revolution......Married Priest, Women Priests, Gay Priests, so many ppl, with sooo much to give....As they say "just believe" one day...x
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 31 Jul 2013, 11:41

I do not believe, I do NOT care about any church. Religion is AGAIN a system created by MEN to dominate you. Twisted Evil 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down