George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you". Brief George mention

5 posters

Go down

"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention Empty "Don't let Bieber make decisions for you". Brief George mention

Post by Katiedot Tue 15 Feb 2011, 11:06

Not sure I entirely agree, but the author raises some interesting points.

From Western Courier

Don't let Bieber make decisions for you

WC Editorial Board

Issue date: 2/14/11

There are starving children in Africa.

There are millions of displaced Haitian refugees.

Millions of ocean dwelling animals have suffered from the BP oil spill.

You've seen it on the news. Help is needed. But how many people would actually help if Bono didn't tell you to?

What? A hurricane? If only Clooney would have told me sooner.

There's this weird paradox in the United States, especially involving celebrities and their daily lives. It's not so much that most of them lead normal lives when they're in their homes. It's that we're obsessed with everything they do. Celebrity culture and gossip has infiltrated our basic programming and feasted, leaving the majority of adolescents and (God forbid) young adults euphoric and violently tuned into the lives of other people.

Perhaps we use their lives as models for how we live our own lives. Perhaps we enjoy finding the faults in others, to make ourselves feel better about what we're doing.

Whatever the case may be, it seems celebrities rule everything we do, including helping people.

You can't open a magazine nowadays without seeing Ashton Kutcher or Bono telling us to give to the starving children, Clooney telling us to send relief to Sudan. It's seems silly to think that this type of campaign is the only way to get through our thick skulls. Are we that unsure about ourselves that we need advice from celebrities about how to make the world a better place, some reaffirmation that the things we are doing are, in fact, the right things.

The sad thing is, it works. Celebrities yell jump, we jump. It's even more upsetting that we can't pursue proactive outlets, such as charities ourselves.

Twitter is another imploding pop culture wasteland. Search for Kanye West's twitter. Seriously, do it. You'll laugh, maybe cry. For good or ill, it's worth it to see what entertains our society.

When Alicia Keys started an AIDS charity, "Keep a Child Alive," many celebrities pledged to stay off all social networking platforms until they raised $1 million. Lady Gaga, Ryan Seacrest and Elijah Wood were some of the celebrities who participated.

It's hard to believe that people actually participated. Where have all the principles gone? The "dead celebrity" campaign only raised $161,000 before it essentially flopped. That's a lot of money for the sake of reading a few dimwitted posts. Who has the time for that?

Perhaps we need to start making our own decisions and not harp on the whims of those making our movies.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention Empty Re: "Don't let Bieber make decisions for you". Brief George mention

Post by lucy Tue 15 Feb 2011, 12:26

I like what the author is essentially saying,but I do believe their are some celebs that do help with their causes.Some like Paris Hilton I wouldn't believe is serious about anything other than herself.
lucy
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

"Don't let Bieber make decisions for you".  Brief George mention Empty Re: "Don't let Bieber make decisions for you". Brief George mention

Post by bellybaby Tue 15 Feb 2011, 14:05

"Clooney telling us to send relief to Sudan" Has George ever asked for "relief", money or military? I think the plea was always to contact your reps to get them to do something...

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 15 Feb 2011, 17:06

what about the elecion result?
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Tue 15 Feb 2011, 23:06

Some celebs are more committed then others. Others just use it for publicity then move on to the next, the Paris Hiltons and Justin Biebers (who really wont be around once he grows pubic hair) I think it is great that some celebs do really get behind certain issues and try to help. Liz Taylor has done alot for Aids and other celebs have certainly helped their causes. No one really listens to Paris or Lindsay etc cause it is clearly just a ploy to get some good PR. I saw Lindsay do this thing in India and talked how it changed her to see all these poor abused kids and how it would be impossible not to be effected by it. Then of course it is back to LA, drugs, jail etc. So clearly she didn't get it and it just looks shallow and a PR stunt. Just using it to try and better her image which some do. It is usually if a celeb sticks with a cause for years whether it is fashionable or not that is the real test! George has been working with Darfur/Sudan for several years now and does things behind the scenes we never see. He also supports things we never hear about and he is always the first to try and help as he did with 9/11 and Haiti. I have no trouble believing George is authentic in his actions for helping others he has a track record for it not just a one off photo call!
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down